PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy

RP_McMurphy
07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
The game will always hurt from a Kentucky's fan point of view. For that was not just one game it was a chance at redemtion for the team, the program and even yes the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It was the stage that Kentucky would show it was back and was back doing it the right way with hard work and sweat. Luck was not Kentucky's lady as a certain player hit one helluva (!#@!!@#!@#) shot to win the game. Time has eased but not removed the pain of that game.

Fast forward 16 years and I am amazed at the number of head coaches and top notch analysts that came out of that game from both team. The coaches are Coach K, Coach Traitor, Herb Sendek, Billy Donavon, Bernadette Locke-Mattox, Travis Ford, John Phelprey, Sean Woods, Dale Brown, Mike Brey, Tommy Amaker. The analysts are top notch as I said in Jay Bilas and Jamal Mashburn. Even those who didn't become involved with basketball are succeding in their career fields in Richie Farmer and Bobby Hurley.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004691/1/index.htm

mr. synellinden
07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
That is still - and probably always will be - my favorite piece of sportswriting of all time.

The lead sentence itself tells you what a monumental game it was.

"Where were you when the shot went in?"

I was about 150 feet from Laettner - on his right - in the stands at The Spectrum.

Huh?
07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you McMurphy, you are a scholar and a gentleman.