PDA

View Full Version : J.J. catches a break...

SupaDave
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
The perimeter is clearing up some...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3510063

Carlos
07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, now instead of being the 5th guy on the depth chart at SG he's back to being the 4th guy behind Bogans, Pietrus, and the rookie Courtney Lee.

Good times...

Tennessee&DukeFan414
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
J.J. would be a Superstar in the EuroLeague.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Hoping he gets out Orlando, but I don't see it. At least he has kept a gracious public face, beyond respectable.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
If I was JJ... I'de be looking too hook up with Real Madrid. Screw the NBA! If you can get the same (or more) pay, go on an adventure... get a better life experience while your young. Learn to speak a different language.

Fish80
07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Isn't JJ entering his third year in the NBA? So he should be in the last year of his "rookie" contract?

Exiled_Devil
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
If I was JJ... I'de be looking too hook up with Real Madrid. Screw the NBA! If you can get the same (or more) pay, go on an adventure... get a better life experience while your young. Learn to speak a different language.

Isn't Real a futbal team? Not sure how shooting guard would fit in there...:)

chrisheery
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM

i think JJ still has this year and next year on his contract (the magic picked up his option? correct me if i am wrong).

that means he would have to retire from the NBA to get out of that contract. also meaning that if he wanted to come back, the magic would have to allow it and he would still be under their control, i think. to tell you the truth, i don't even know if a guy can quit an NBA contract and play professionally anywhere else. they are just putting him in an awful position. sucks.

i think they are holding on to him because he is such a commodity and soooo cheap at $2 a year. maybe they just haven't been offered enough and figure they have time. they could also possibly package him with a bad contract at some point to get rid of the guy they don't want anymore and still help their cap. who knows. seems like this should be something you should have some control over. maybe the new CBA will address issues like this. probably not though.

CameronCrazy'11
07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I still think he can play in the NBA. That was the assumption coming out of college and he hasn't done anything to change that assumption since. Orlando is just a terrible match for him. A shooting guard with an excellent 3-point shot and defensive weakness is not a match for a team with multiple 3-point shooters in the startinrg line-up and a shooting point guard who's weak on defense. In the right situation, JJ can no doubt play in the NBA. Frankly, Orlando's actions don't make any sense here. Why draft a lottery pick and pay him $2 mil a year to barely play and beg for a trade? Some terrible management here.

dukemomLA
07-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Although I agree that JJ can still play in the NBA -- why bother with such a dysfunctional team as Orlando? So many Duke players (and others) are enjoying great success in International Play. Impressive salaries, lots of playing time and kudos, life styles that suit them, love and fans.

Doesn't this rival sitting on the bench? Doesn't this rival waiting to be called into a game for a few minutes?

The International game progresses each year. The old gray mare (NBA) ain't what it used to be. So....JJ, Daniel E., Chris D, etc. -- if "cutting the NBA cord" suits your game. I say, go for it.

miramar
07-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Isn't Real a futbal team? Not sure how shooting guard would fit in there...:)

LOL! I've always found it rather amusing to have basketball teams that belong to soccer teams. Pau Gasol used to play for FC Barcelona, which stands for Football Club Barcelona (in English no less). Barça even has handball and hockey teams, which I guess explain why their motto is More than a Football Team.

heyman25
07-31-2008, 06:19 AM
The European teams pay the player's income taxes and the Euro is near a record high against the dollar though I would not bet it will remain that way much past 2008. JJ due to his contract will probably have to stay the course next season. Then he may look for a team that will let him play.Orlando does have a playoff team,but it is odd how they stack the 2 guard position every season JJ has been there.

yancem
07-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Although I agree that JJ can still play in the NBA -- why bother with such a dysfunctional team as Orlando? So many Duke players (and others) are enjoying great success in International Play. Impressive salaries, lots of playing time and kudos, life styles that suit them, love and fans.

Doesn't this rival sitting on the bench? Doesn't this rival waiting to be called into a game for a few minutes?

The International game progresses each year. The old gray mare (NBA) ain't what it used to be. So....JJ, Daniel E., Chris D, etc. -- if "cutting the NBA cord" suits your game. I say, go for it.

Some people like living in the States. I'm not sure that I would want to move to another country, leaving family and friends, to live somewhere where I don't speak the language and has a different culture. Now, I'm much older and have a wife and kids so my perspective is different than it might have been when I was his age. But some people aren't as adventurous as others. Look at all the high school kids that choose colleges in their home towns because they don't want to be too far from home. Europe can be a nice option and for some that really want to play, it's their only option, but for others its a last resort.

CDu
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM

I don't think Redick has a choice. He's not in the position that Josh Childress and others were in. He's under contract with an NBA team. To get out, he'd have to negotiate a release (which I'm sure would include wording to prevent him from returning to play for another team) or retire (which would allow Orlando to keep his rights). And then he'd have to WANT to live overseas.

Edouble
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM

I agree that going overseas is a great option for some, but I'm not sure how Duhon makes your list. He was one of the top free agents this off-season and would be offered a contract by many teams in the NBA. :rolleyes:

jma4life
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Don't forget that JJ is competitive. He wants to succeed on the highest stage. He didn't dream of someday playing in the Spanish professional league or the Russian professional league. He was out in the back yard pretending to hit game winners in the NBA. I think there is nothing JJ would like better than to stick it to the Magic at some point while playing for another NBA team.

Edouble
08-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Don't forget that JJ is competitive. He wants to succeed on the highest stage. He didn't dream of someday playing in the Spanish professional league or the Russian professional league. He was out in the back yard pretending to hit game winners in the NBA. I think there is nothing JJ would like better than to stick it to the Magic at some point while playing for another NBA team.

I don't think it's a question of whether or not he wants to play in the NBA, I think it's a question of whether or not anyone will sign him after he's done with the Magic. Trajan isn't overseas because he chose to turn down NBA contracts, it's because that's where he got an offer to play.

jma4life
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Yea, I agree that if he can't land with a team in the league, then Europe is a fine alternative. My point was directed at those who were saying Redick should opt for Europe rather than stay with the Magic or an NBA team that gave him a chance.

CameronCrazy'11
08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Even if Redick's goal is to play in the NBA, playing in Europe might still be a good move. If he can give a dominant performance in Europe (I think he will) and show that he's improved his defense and penetration (I think he has), scouts will take notice. Contracts in Europe are generally pretty short and have a buyout clause, so he could come back to the NBA whenever he got a deal he was comfortable with.

Edouble
08-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Even if Redick's goal is to play in the NBA, playing in Europe might still be a good move. If he can give a dominant performance in Europe (I think he will) and show that he's improved his defense and penetration (I think he has), scouts will take notice. Contracts in Europe are generally pretty short and have a buyout clause, so he could come back to the NBA whenever he got a deal he was comfortable with.

So, in order to play in the NBA, he should not sign with an NBA team, but go to Europe?

I get what you're saying, but I think it's a big stretch. Anyway, regardless of how well he plays in Europe, once he signs with an NBA team, he still doesn't know how much PT he's going to get until the games start. How will he know to be "comfortable" with any deal? I think he needs to stick around the league if the opportunity is there.

CameronCrazy'11
08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
So, in order to play in the NBA, he should not sign with an NBA team, but go to Europe?

I get what you're saying, but I think it's a big stretch. Anyway, regardless of how well he plays in Europe, once he signs with an NBA team, he still doesn't know how much PT he's going to get until the games start. How will he know to be "comfortable" with any deal? I think he needs to stick around the league if the opportunity is there.

Well yeah if he can get a deal in the NBA that he likes he should take it. But if not I think he can increase his value by shining in Europe and then get a better deal in the NBA..

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
The NBA is full of players who know they have to put up big numbers to get big contracts. Even if you put up big numbers on a bad team - you still get a big contract... its just how it works. JJ is a shooter - it happened so many times in Orlando... he will be open - but Hedo or someone else who isn't nearly as good of a shot as JJ - will shoot a short mid-range fade away or some sort of shot when JJ is wide open. I like watching the NBA despite it is painfully obvious that on at least 50% of all teams there is a normal rotation guy or two that has a conflict of interest with the team.

There are a lot of guys who aren't major rotation guys that are the same way except they are below the threshold of being good enough - they get in games and just jack up shots against the teams best interest. Kris Humpries is a good example.

JJ would be best used on a team like the Celtics or another veteran team thats competing for the championship.

Carlos
08-05-2008, 08:17 AM
I just wanted to point out that calling Turkoglu, who shot 40% on threes this last year, someone who is "not nearly as good a shot as JJ" is pretty subjective to say the least.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I just wanted to point out that calling Turkoglu, who shot 40% on threes this last year, someone who is "not nearly as good a shot as JJ" is pretty subjective to say the least.

I didn't really put that the right way.
He likes to force up a lot of difficult mid range jumpers.
I'de take JJ shooting the wide open shot as opposed to him shooting with a hand in his face any day.

Tennessee&DukeFan414
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Turkoglu is not as good of a 3 point shooter as Redick, Redd, Allen, Belinelli, Kapono, Korver, but he is solid.

SupaDave
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know how we got on Turk but one things for sure - he can do things JJ can't and one of them posting up someone in the paint.

I've always thought this but if I was Lebron James I would be DYING to get this guy with me. To me he's always been the John Paxson, Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong that Lebron truly needs. I DEFINITELY think he is better than Daniel Gibson.

SupaDave
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Remember that Lebron can handle the point and it's something Jordan often did when any of his sharp shooters were in the game and Harper was for defense.

Tennessee&DukeFan414
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I would surround the King withe one more superstar (preferably Dwyane Wade), a couple of great, not solid shooters in J.J. Redick and Jason Kapono, I would have signed James Posey and I would get another glue guy/rebounder like Jorge Garbajosa. That would be a team.

Edouble
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know how we got on Turk but one things for sure - he can do things JJ can't and one of them posting up someone in the paint.

I've always thought this but if I was Lebron James I would be DYING to get this guy with me. To me he's always been the John Paxson, Steve Kerr, BJ Armstrong that Lebron truly needs. I DEFINITELY think he is better than Daniel Gibson.

Who is "this guy", JJ or Turk? I've read the post three times and it's still unclear.

Ignatius07
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I would surround the King withe one more superstar (preferably Dwyane Wade), a couple of great, not solid shooters in J.J. Redick and Jason Kapono, I would have signed James Posey and I would get another glue guy/rebounder like Jorge Garbajosa. That would be a team.

You'd have to get two "max contract"-talent guys - Wade and James - to agree to less than maximum money, first of all, and even then you'd probably still have around $40 million a year tied up in two players. It would be very difficult to field a respectable and deep-enough team after that, especially since none of that $40 million is invested in post players, who generally cost more.

Edouble
08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
It would be very difficult to field a respectable and deep-enough team after that, especially since none of that $40 million is invested in post players, who generally cost more.

The Bulls pulled it off beautifully in the 90s.