PDA

View Full Version : Dog Rentals

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM
So, I once had a random conversation about setting up a dog rental business with a friend of mine to cater to young professionals who didn't have the time or desire to actually own a dog full time. It was mostly a lark, but I then learned about a year later that a business in NYC (which later expanded to several other cities) was actually setup to do so.

It now looks like FlexPetz is folding (http://www.newsweek.com/id/149438?from=rss) due to a hostile legislative environment. I guess I'm glad I didn't pursue this anymore than the abstract.

If the business was run correctly with top care for the animals supplied, what's the problem? Don't dogs love to hang out with lots of different people?

Windsor
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Dogs are pack animals. Packs for the most part of stable. The might like to socialize, but they need single enviroment/pack stability.

Dogs are not accessories.
If someone wants to play with dogs and not want to own them (which I totally understand), their local shelter would probably be thrilled to have them come in and play with the shelters dogs and spend time with them. For Free.

Rent a dog is, IMHO, a horrible idea.

billybreen
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Dogs are pack animals. Packs for the most part of stable. The might like to socialize, but they need single enviroment/pack stability.

If someone wants to play with dogs and not want to own them (which I totally understand), their local shelter would probably be thrilled to have them come in and play with the shelters dogs and spend time with them. For Free.

Amen. I think dog rental would be borderline psychological torture.

Fish80
07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Amen. I think dog rental would be borderline psychological torture.

I would not rent or loan my dogs to strangers. Only people that I know very well and trust completely can take care of my dogs.

While 90% of people may treat the dog very well, there's a significant risk of a psychotic whack job doing unspeakable things to the animal.

bluebear
07-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I would not rent or loan my dogs to strangers. Only people that I know very well and trust completely can take care of my dogs.

While 90% of people may treat the dog very well, there's a significant risk of a psychotic whack job doing unspeakable things to the animal.

Agree completely..my dog needs structure and security within the "pack"...but as big a problem is the above...how can you ensure the safety (physical/emotional) of the animal?

BlueDevilBaby
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Such people can become dog walkers or take a walk through the neighborhood dog park. Although I have two fellas that I regularly take to the dog park, I love to play with the other dogs there as well.

hurleyfor3
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Cat rentals, OTOH, are ubiquitous. Exept that it's cats that rent people.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with some of the concerns here, but I'm wondering if there would be a way to properly vet renters so that the renter becomes as trusted as a hired dog walker, a friend, relative, etc that many dog owners would feel completely comfortable lending their dog to.

There's definitely a market out there.

duke74
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM

As always, you are spot on in relation to the dog world. Why would one want to rent a dog anyhow? To (temporarily) fill a gap? And then return it for a newer model (breed)?

If one can't take care of a dog full time, then one shouldn't own (rent) one. Get a fish...or a pet rock.

sue71, esq
07-30-2008, 01:56 PM
As always, you are spot on in relation to the dog world. Why would one want to rent a dog anyhow? To (temporarily) fill a gap? And then return it for a newer model (breed)?

If one can't take care of a dog full time, then one shouldn't own (rent) one. Get a fish...or a pet rock.

I'd love to have a dog. I grew up with a dog, 2 cats, fish, gerbils, etc. However, my schedule is not conducive to having a dog, so I settled for a cat (who thinks she's a dog) instead.

I can't imagine ever renting a dog, though.

BlueDevilBaby
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
My schedule is also terrible for having a dog (would you believe I twice typed "god"), so I have two. I rent a dog walker for 1/2 hour or so each day to keep them company. My neighbors (two little girls without a dog of their own) also visit the boys on occasion. This set up has worked quite well. My guys always seem to be in a better, more playful mood when Scott or the girls have visited.

hamster
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Get a fish...or a pet rock.

Or a hamster. heh heh heh.