PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now

Gunnar Kaufman
07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
...but Coach Cutcliffe has landed 4 three-star prospects or better in the past 24 hours.

DevilWolf
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Two DE's, a CB and a WR.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm starting to think this Cutcliffe guy might have a plan . . . .

roywhite
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Checking some other boards, there are reports of six(!) additional football commitments just today. Super Tuesday indeed. The latest is a linebacker from Christ School in Arden, land of the Plumlees.

wilko
07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Checking some other boards, there are reports of six(!) additional football commitments just today. Super Tuesday indeed. The latest is a linebacker from Christ School in Arden, land of the Plumlees.

I saw that! I commented in another thread about recruits we were getting... but I had no clue the day wasnt done!

just wow...
I think we have some top flight talent evaluators on staff.
I hope all of these hold till signing day.

pinch me. Ive never seen anything like this..

moonpie23
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
butch davis wants some more money...

DevilWolf
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
A lucky 7 for the day.

August Campbell - LB - NC (6'3'', 205, 4.5 40 yard dash)
Justin Foxx - DE - NC (6'3'', 211, 4.6)
Anthony Young-Wiseman - WR - MD (6'1'', 180, 4.5)
Conner Vernon - WR - FL (6'2'', 176, 4.41)
Brandon Putman - DE - GA (6'3'' 232, 4.86)
Sydney Sarmiento - DE - SC (6'4'' 259, 4.87)
Kadeem Wise - CB - GA (5'9 170, 4.5)

"If you can run, we'll find you." - David Cutcliffe

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
A lucky 7 for the day.

August Campbell - LB - NC (6'3'', 205, 4.5 40 yard dash)
Justin Foxx - DE - NC (6'3'', 211, 4.6)
Anthony Young-Wiseman - WR - MD (6'1'', 180, 4.5)
Conner Vernon - WR - FL (6'2'', 176, 4.41)
Brandon Putman - DE - GA (6'3'' 232, 4.86)
Sydney Sarmiento - DE - SC (6'4'' 259, 4.87)
Kadeem Wise - CB - GA (5'9 170, 4.5)

"If you can run, we'll find you." - David Cutcliffe

Speed
Speed
Speed
Speed
Speed
Speed
Speed.

I again wonder if Cut will redshirt most of these guys or rip 'em loose early. Most big programs would redshirt and build from there. But I'm down with whatever Coach wants to do. If anyone hears his plans (or Watzone/others get a chance to ask him) I'd really be curious.

I'm a patient guy and if we need to tighten up a year while these guys redshirt I'm okay with that. Again, Coach knows best and I'd love to know what his plans are in that regard.

Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up, Give 'em hell Duke!!!!

Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimsumner
07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
RE: redshirting.

I asked Coach Cutcliffe this question back in February at the press conference announcing the signees. His response was that he believed in playing his best players, regardless of class. Maybe he will modify this view once he gets more of a backlog of talent but my distinct impression is that he is inclined to use the redshirt option sparingly.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
RE: redshirting.

I asked Coach Cutcliffe this question back in February at the press conference announcing the signees. His response was that he believed in playing his best players, regardless of class. Maybe he will modify this view once he gets more of a backlog of talent but my distinct impression is that he is inclined to use the redshirt option sparingly.

Thanks for the info, Jim. There is always a balance between instant gratification and deferred benefit. Given our current situation, my guess is that there is some immediate need for speed and therefore some immediate opportunity for significant playing time. But I'm fine with whatever Coach thinks will benefit us over his (hopefully long) tenure.

I'm not sure that a willingness to play "the best players, regardless of class" has more to do with redshirting than it does with the weight of seniority. But I trust your first-hand impression more than my parcing of words.

Jim -- can you remember the last time there was this much buzz around Duke pigskin? I was a student when Spurrier came in and, even then, he was a coach no one would hire. It did not seem to be nearly the energy and talk I see these days about Cut, although I was twenty-something years younger and my perceptions were somewhat skewed. Thanks as always for your input, OPK

Bluedog
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Duke's 2004 signing class (according to Rivals):
24 commitments
22 two-star recruits, 2 three-star recruits
70th best in country

2007 class (last fully Roof recruiting class):
21 commitments
17 two-star recruits, 4 three-star recruits
78th best in country

2008 class (mostly Roof, some Cutcliffe):
17 commitments
10 two-star recruits, 7 three-star recruits (although I'm surprised Renfree is a 3-star according to rivals when he was one of only 7 QB listed as Parade AA)
65th best in country

2009 class so far (first Cutcliffe class):
15 commitments
7 two-star recruits, 2 three-star, 2 four-star, 2 not rated (still early)

Obviously, rankings aren't everything. Heck, Wake Forest's recruiting classes are typically poorly ranked and they won the ACC. I'm confident Coach Cut can improve both the recruiting and the performance of the players regardless of how highly touted they were in high school. :D

roywhite
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
2009 class so far (first Cutcliffe class):[/B]
15 commitments
7 two-star recruits, 2 three-star, 2 four-star, 2 not rated (still early)

Obviously, rankings aren't everything. Heck, Wake Forest's recruiting classes are typically poorly ranked and they won the ACC. I'm confident Coach Cut can improve both the recruiting and the performance of the players regardless of how highly touted they were in high school. :D

Thanks for the list; on that 2009 class, I believe that should be 4 three-star on the rivals list, along with 2 4-stars and the rest as you indicate (adds up to 15 this way). I don't think they have everybody listed from the last two days yet.

Coach Cut seems to identify players early (he stresses speed) and moves fast in getting commitments. He has really brought some new life to the football program. Great to see.

adam
07-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Please schedule a game at Boise State next year. I dream of the day I get to watch my Blue Devils kick the crap out of the Broncos, especially while playing in Boise on the smurf-turf at Bronco Stadium. :)

Adding insult to injury... Sean Renfree chose Duke over Boise State.

GO DUKE!!!!

roywhite
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
After a frenzy of activity over the last two days, the rivals.com list of football commitments shows 18 for Duke in the class of 2009. That includes 2 4-star and 6 3-star commitments. This looks like a terrific class shaping up for Coach Cutcliffe and Duke football.

GopherBlue
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
After a frenzy of activity over the last two days, the rivals.com list of football commitments shows 18 for Duke in the class of 2009. That includes 2 4-star and 6 3-star commitments. This looks like a terrific class shaping up for Coach Cutcliffe and Duke football.

And 8 of those 18 are from NC.

That is in contrast to the current roster, on which only 13 of 93 (14%) are listed as NC natives.

Not sure what this means in terms of talent, but it should translate into increase local fan interest.

RepoMan
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Also, don't forget, football recruiting is crazy. Before signing day, recruits regularly flip-flop. So, demonstrating success on the field is important in this regard as well. It is important with regard to keeping committed recruits in the fold, as well as with regard to potentially luring others who committed elsewhere. Hopefully, we will have that sort of successs, and I have confidence that we will.

DevilWolf
07-30-2008, 12:04 PM
^ Unlike the last few coaching staffs, this staff has been through big time recruiting a time or two in the past. The SEC is the most cut-throat of all conferences, so I fully expect our staff to be prepared to hang on to these commitments. Nothing is a sure thing, but again, I expect them to be prepared.

jimsumner
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
To answer OldPhiKap's question, the last time I remember this much buzz about Duke football was during Goldsmith's first season, when Duke started off 7-0.

I hope this is a Perfect Storm for Duke football. A growing realization from the powers-that-be that drastic steps have to be taken, a new coach, a new AD, a strategic plan that seems to be serious, may combine to create the opportunity for Duke to revamp Wade, enhance recruiting, put a quality team on the field and produce a quality experience for fans.

I said last fall that Duke when Duke was looking to replace Roof, that Duke was about out of chances and really needed to get it right this time. I'm convinced that Duke did get it right. I've liked Cutcliffe since that introductory press conference and nothing has happened in the interim to change my mind.

Not all of Duke's recent problems can be laid at the feet of Ted Roof. He's one of the nicest guys on the planet and I'm delighted he landed on his feet. I supported Roof a lot longer than most and I'll always wonder how it might have turned out if he had more support from the administration.

But, everything I have seen or heard indicates that Cutcliffe and his staff are upgrades in every area-recruiting, teaching, organization, motivation, public relations-the whole ball of wax. We'll see about game management but DC's track record is pretty good in that area.

So, yes, I think the enthusiasm is warranted. I tend to be a glass-half-full-kind of guy but this time I think the glass is way over half full. Sure, temper that a bit with the realization that it takes time to turn around a struggling program and there's a big gap between 1-11 and championships. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that things are heading in the right direction and in a big way.

Gunnar Kaufman
07-30-2008, 12:36 PM
To answer OldPhiKap's question, the last time I remember this much buzz about Duke football was during Goldsmith's first season, when Duke started off 7-0.

I hope this is a Perfect Storm for Duke football. A growing realization from the powers-that-be that drastic steps have to be taken, a new coach, a new AD, a strategic plan that seems to be serious, may combine to create the opportunity for Duke to revamp Wade, enhance recruiting, put a quality team on the field and produce a quality experience for fans.

I said last fall that Duke when Duke was looking to replace Roof, that Duke was about out of chances and really needed to get it right this time. I'm convinced that Duke did get it right. I've liked Cutcliffe since that introductory press conference and nothing has happened in the interim to change my mind.

Not all of Duke's recent problems can be laid at the feet of Ted Roof. He's one of the nicest guys on the planet and I'm delighted he landed on his feet. I supported Roof a lot longer than most and I'll always wonder how it might have turned out if he had more support from the administration.

But, everything I have seen or heard indicates that Cutcliffe and his staff are upgrades in every area-recruiting, teaching, organization, motivation, public relations-the whole ball of wax. We'll see about game management but DC's track record is pretty good in that area.

So, yes, I think the enthusiasm is warranted. I tend to be a glass-half-full-kind of guy but this time I think the glass is way over half full. Sure, temper that a bit with the realization that it takes time to turn around a struggling program and there's a big gap between 1-11 and championships. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that things are heading in the right direction and in a big way.

I think...yeah, I just got goosebumps.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Hear! Hear! I love what you've stated and how you've said it, Jim. Add to the circumstances for a perfect storm: fans who are tired of ridicule and hungry for respectability and excellence plus opponents who've not viewed Duke as a serious threat for years.

OldPhiKap
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks (again) for the response, Jim. I too supported Roof and I thought at the time that he should be given more time to turn it around. Without knocking Roof, though, I must say it has been a revelation having Coach Cut. This guy knows the ropes from major programs in the toughest (IMO) football conference year in and year out.

It really has been like flipping on a light switch and realizing what the big kids do.

I will always wish Ted well and I hope he gets another chance at a program somewhere down the line. And I am ready for the Cut era to begin.

killerleft
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
The in-state recruits, and their quality, caught me by surprise. Coach Cut is trying to stake out North Carolina as "his area". Continued success in N.C. would be big - real big. N.C. high school coaches, you can bet, have already noticed.

I'm always the optimist, but so far Coach Cutcliffe has really hit the ground running in the right direction!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2008, 03:48 PM
The in-state recruits, and their quality, caught me by surprise. Coach Cut is trying to stake out North Carolina as "his area". Continued success in N.C. would be big - real big. N.C. high school coaches, you can bet, have already noticed.

I'm always the optimist, but so far Coach Cutcliffe has really hit the ground running in the right direction!

For the first time in decades, Duke hired a football coach who knows and has experienced how to operate a high level successful program. In a few short months Coach Cutcliffe's left the other ACC coaches, new and veteran, behind as he moves ahead methodically in a flurry of activity and energy. When's the last time a new coach in the ACC created this much interest and attention? Wallace Wade? (I know it was the Southern Conference then!)

jimsumner
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
"For the first time in decades, Duke hired a football coach who knows and has experienced how to operate a high level successful program."

Yes. On more than one occasion--Barry Wilson, Carl Franks, Ted Roof--Duke has acted like the ACC was an entry-level league and expected coaches to learn things they should already have learned.

On the other hand, Steve Sloan and Fred Goldsmith had more head-coaching experience than that Spurrier guy, so, go figure.

gep
07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
For the first time in decades, Duke hired a football coach who knows and has experienced how to operate a high level successful program.

I think this is the key... Duke, in its recent football state, was able to get a big-time winning coach from big-time conferences with big-time recruiting. Duke is VERY fortunate to be able to attract Coach Cut... this was a most pleasant surprise. Coach Cut knows how to work in big-time environments, and is bringing that experience to Duke. How lucky are we!?!?! I believe that Coach Cut can turn Duke football around, and I hope that he sees Duke as his "last stop" and leave his own legacy here:)