PDA

View Full Version : Scalping laws in Florida

Mike B
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
This message is for Stray and any others familiar with Florida's scalping laws. Got my tournament tickets today and I'm up in the rafters. I may have to try to sell my tickets once the tournament starts and try to upgrade. NC has some strict laws on selling above face value. What's allowed in Florida?

Mike B

Stray Gator
02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Until this year, Florida law prohibited the resale of tickets for more than $1 over face value. But my understanding is that the 2006 Legislature repealed that limitation and instead outlawed hoarding of tickets, apparently motivated by the fact that the Super Bowl was being held in Miami and Jeb wanted to create an "open market" for individual transactions rather than allowing professional scalpers to thrive. So now, if I understand it correctly, scalping of tickets is permitted in Florida, provided the buyer is guaranteed a refund if the event is cancelled.

Stray ~~~;~~~;~http://mudlizard.com/users/icons/emoticons/chomp.gif

Duvall
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
This message is for Stray and any others familiar with Florida's scalping laws. Got my tournament tickets today and I'm up in the rafters. I may have to try to sell my tickets once the tournament starts and try to upgrade. NC has some strict laws on selling above face value. What's allowed in Florida?

Mike B

I don't think you'll need to worry about selling tickets for above face value at this tournament.

hurleyfor3
02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Good news! You will most likely be freed from the burden of having to sell tournament tickets above face value. Scalpers couldn't get face for full books of uppers LAST year in Greensboro. And there is a TON of supply on the market.

civileng68
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I know tickets to the tourney are not sold online but, is there a site that sells after market tickets? Basically is there any way for me to buy reasonably priced tickets?

I live in Naples, Fl and would love to go to a game.

Duvall
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I know tickets to the tourney are not sold online but, is there a site that sells after market tickets? Basically is there any way for me to buy reasonably priced tickets?

I live in Naples, Fl and would love to go to a game.

Tickets will be plentiful and reasonably priced (face value or less) at the stadium during the tournament. You may also want to contact the Iron Dukes and Alumni Affairs to see if Duke has any tickets left for sale.

hurleyfor3
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Last year one of the football schools, U of Miami I think, sold tournament tickets online to the public when its booster club didn't have enough buyers to fill out its entire allottment. The news propagated rather quickly on the various fan message boards and many unc fans ended up snatching them. (Thus it is not quite correct to say the tournament has been sold out since nineteen-sixty-whatever.)

Anyway, you can look around on stubhub or ebay if you want, but stubhub will be expensive and ebay will be sketchy as always. I'd just wait for the game. I paid face (lowers) for the Saturday session in 2004 (unusually, the Friday sessions were tougher than Saturday's that year). I'll bet you can do better.

DukeDevilsBB
02-28-2007, 03:28 PM
People were giving away tickets for the Duke/GT ACC Finals in Washington, DC in 2005. I saw many people go from $20 to $10 to $5 to just handing them out. I guess that had a lot to do with the Thurday exit of MD.

civileng68
02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Last year one of the football schools, U of Miami I think, sold tournament tickets online to the public when its booster club didn't have enough buyers to fill out its entire allottment. The news propagated rather quickly on the various fan message boards and many unc fans ended up snatching them. (Thus it is not quite correct to say the tournament has been sold out since nineteen-sixty-whatever.)

Anyway, you can look around on stubhub or ebay if you want, but stubhub will be expensive and ebay will be sketchy as always. I'd just wait for the game. I paid face (lowers) for the Saturday session in 2004 (unusually, the Friday sessions were tougher than Saturday's that year). I'll bet you can do better.

so you're saying if those schools dont sell all of the tickets, they'll be on sale at the box office? If I show up how do I get the tickets if they're not through the box office, individual sellers?

hurleyfor3
02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
so you're saying if those schools dont sell all of the tickets, they'll be on sale at the box office? If I show up how do I get the tickets if they're not through the box office, individual sellers?

In the case of Miami last year I believe the tickets went on sale over UMiami's Web site (or via TicketMaster or something similar). You probably don't want those tickets, though; they're most likely crappy uppers and you may not want to go to every session. Remember the Thursday and Sunday sessions are effectively worthless.

All the scalpers should be in one place. In Greensboro, this would be at the bottom of the long ramp everyone goes up. Try to linger around for a few minutes to see what the market's like before jumping in. I don't know what that area is like, but in general, don't buy from people a few blocks away or on the side of the road; there should be a more efficient market closer to the arena.

People were giving away tickets for the Duke/GT ACC Finals in Washington, DC in 2005. I saw many people go from $20 to $10 to $5 to just handing them out. I guess that had a lot to do with the Thurday exit of MD.

I think it had more to do with unc's exit on Saturday. Both the friday sessions were expensive and on Saturday I got shut out.

I was given an Acela Club ticket for free on Sunday. I have gone each of the last three Sundays, sat in decent to excellent seats and have paid a grand total of $10.