PDA

View Full Version : Marty

wilson
03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
In a number of threads discussing the prospects for next season, people have expressed doubt that Pocius will still be around then. Perhaps I missed something, but I haven't heard anything tangible about a potential transfer or other sort of departure. What's the story?

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
In a number of threads discussing the prospects for next season, people have expressed doubt that Pocius will still be around then. Perhaps I missed something, but I haven't heard anything tangible about a potential transfer or other sort of departure. What's the story?

I just couldn't blame him if he did transfer, or played pro ball oversees. He didn't much PT this year and I see him getting even less next year with freshman coming in. But I hope he stays. :D

imagepro
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
It would make me SICK. The kid loves the game. I will say this, and with some remorse--- If he gets no more PT next year, I honestly hope he does go.. Man I HATE saying that. Makes me sick to my stomach...........:(

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
It would make me SICK. The kid loves the game. I will say this, and with some remorse--- If he gets no more PT next year, I honestly hope he does go.. Man I HATE saying that. Makes me sick to my stomach...........:(

You always want what's best for the kid. If Coach K knows up front that Marty is going to be at the end of an 10-11 man bench, I hope he tells Marty so that he can make other plans as much as I would hate to see him go. :(

Fish80
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I hope Marty gets more playing time next year. But surely there are a lot more reasons to stay at Duke, with Coach K, with his teammates than just playing time. Don't dismiss the value of that experience and the value of a Duke education. Playing time is just one of many factors.

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I hope Marty gets more playing time next year. But surely there are a lot more reasons to stay at Duke, with Coach K, with his teammates than just playing time. Don't dismiss the value of that experience and the value of a Duke education. Playing time is just one of many factors.

I'm not trying to discredit a Duke education by any means, but if your goal is to play professional ball (obviously Marty will have to play oversees) then a Duke education is not that helpful, playing time is. Which is why if he can get it somewhere else then that might be best for HIM. :)

Fish80
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
But Marty strikes me as a very capable young man. Playing pro ball in Europe will still be an option for him after he graduates. And who knows, here's hoping things start clicking, he has two more fantastic years at Duke and gets a shot at the NBA. His size and skills are pretty good for a 2.

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
But Marty strikes me as a very capable young man. Playing pro ball in Europe will still be an option for him after he graduates. And who knows, here's hoping things start clicking, he has two more fantastic years at Duke and gets a shot at the NBA. His size and skills are pretty good for a 2.

Hey, I'm not going to argue with you on that one Fish.......I hope your right. But he will have to get playing time to make the NBA. :D

Fish80
03-23-2007, 01:49 PM
No argument - I must be getting soft! :cool:

We all want what's best for Marty. I believe that coach K does, too. I really don't think Marty got on his bad list or anything like that. On the contrary, K even said he needed to find a way to get Marty more time. The way he finished up the season is a very positive sign, he was getting some minutes and making some plays. Next year, even with all the guys we'll have, I think he'll get significant minutes.

jimsumner
03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
All of the speculation concerning Pocius seems to be of the "what I would do if I were him" variety. He has indicated no dissatisfaction with his lot at Duke. Actually, by all accounts, he rather enjoys being a student-athlete at Duke University.

ikiru36
03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm not trying to discredit a Duke education by any means, but if your goal is to play professional ball (obviously Marty will have to play oversees) then a Duke education is not that helpful, playing time is. Which is why if he can get it somewhere else then that might be best for HIM. :)

I wouldn't lightly dismiss the value of a good education (though it can be had elsewhere from Duke as well, if it's important to the player) in the business world of professional athletics. Even if some would argue that Duke players have been disappointing in the NBA (an increasingly specious argument, but it has its anecdotal truths), in agregate, our alums have the highest combined salary of any school. As for international ball, I'm pretty sure that graduating from Duke carries some cachet, as many of our graduates who didn't make the NBA have made at least very solid careers overseas, even if they never managed to play starter minutes, even in their Senior years (ex. N. Horvath). It may not hurt internationally to have played for the coach of the U.S. Olympic Team either.

Now if Duke, for whatever reasons, isn't the best place for Marty to develop as a person and to improve his Basketball ability/opportunities (irrespective of PT), he should perhaps seek out other schools. But no other school, I believe anyways, is Duke Men's Basketball equal as regards national coverage, international name recognition, excellent professional connections (U.S. and abroad), while providing a college education/degree from a Nationally/Internationally recognized top institution.

And... I like Marty and think he may end up earning some valuable minutes, anyways.

Go Marty!!!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!