PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Scott to Duke

watzone
07-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Duke picked up a four star running back from Durham Hillside today.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

CameronBornAndBred
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Sweeeeet. And just over a month until we see Cut's first coaching. I've been impressed with the recruits he has brought in, he must be equally impressive to them.

Acymetric
07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
This is great. One important thing about getting local recruits is the chance to gain some fans that otherwise wouldn't have pulled for Duke. Surely his family, and possibly some close friends, will convert to the Blue Devils, at least while he's there. Plus he looks to be a great back. Excellent pickup.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Coach Cutcliffe is changing the face of Duke football. He's a superb leader who has the vision to win and the ability to communicate that vision to others. He's remarked that the fans as well as the players have to earn their way back to being winners. It's a great time for all you posters and lurkers who are big Duke fans to sign on to be an Iron Duke and support our athletes in a meaningful way.

Believe! It was used to promote another program, but it's absolutely true.

GO DUKE!

formerdukeathlete
07-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Duke picked up a four star running back from Durham Hillside today.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

rivals shows Desmond Scott with a 3.7 GPA at Hillside - a continuing theme -Cutcliffe identifying better students in the recruiting process. the 4th recruit from the Triangle area - should help sell some seats.

Defenserules
07-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Duke has now signed two really great QBs. One of the QBs made the elite 11 QB camp. Basically that means he is the real deal. I think the last 5 Heisman winners that were QBs were selected for the elite 11 camp. Now we have a really great back to pair with this guy and the timing couldn't be better. Imagine two elite players in the same backfield. Regardless of the fact that we will never have the horses that Miami or Virginia Tech can bring to campuse, in college football if you have a great QB and a really good running back you can pretty much gurantee that you will have a chance to win every game you play. Think Boise State. I expect big things from this team in the coming years!

On that note - and in regard to Coach Cut's statement that the fans have to earn it as much as the players I think we should start putting a little preasure on DBR to really make a front page push in August to get the fans out for the first two games. We can only do so much on the boards, but thousands of Duke fans and alums read the DBR front page each day. If we could convince them to put a banner and hatch a plan for a big tailgate this could really help the process.

Go Duke!

watzone
07-25-2008, 12:48 AM
I love this Durham Hillside connection! Now let's work on Southern Durham. Look at it like this, many have said Duke can't recruit in state. Well, Cut is proving that he can. You don't see Duke even recruiting where Roof and company did or at least not with the former emphasis. Cut is painting with a broader stroke and that's what you have to do to make a change. Laugh if you must, but Duke Football will finally turn around under Cut's watch. I for one, am looking forward to the season and the opener versus Jame Madison on August 31st at 7:00. FWIW, Duke has now added Lee Butler's brother who is a pretty good DB prospect. That's pretty good news for us football fans.

sagegrouse
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
On that note - and in regard to Coach Cut's statement that the fans have to earn it as much as the players I think we should start putting a little preasure on DBR to really make a front page push in August to get the fans out for the first two games. We can only do so much on the boards, but thousands of Duke fans and alums read the DBR front page each day. If we could convince them to put a banner and hatch a plan for a big tailgate this could really help the process.

Go Duke!

You say the Duke BASKETBALL Report should put a real emphasis on Duke FOOTBALL? Maybe as a stopgap.

I remember a few years ago, a really nice UTenn football fan posted a message about an upcoming Duke-UT football game and summarizing the long-term rivalry (where Duke, over seven decades, had done fairly well).

He said he looked and looked for a Duke football site and finally realized the only way to address Duke fans was through DBR.

Well guys, there needs to be a Duke Football Report. Who's going to start it?

sagegrouse

sagegrouse

Gunnar Kaufman
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Make no mistake: This is Duke's biggest commitment in football in a long time, even more so than the VO commitment.

Scott's a bit on the small side, but he's got the speed that Cutcliffe so sorely desires--and that so many other big-time programs desired, as well.

Scott turned down overtures from Alabama, Clemson, Tennessee, West Virginia, et. al. to play for Duke.

A program-changing commitment.

Couple it with Renfree and some of the other athletes Cutcliffe is bringing in, and the winds of change in Wallace Wade are clearly more than a bluster.

SupaDave
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
You say the Duke BASKETBALL Report should put a real emphasis on Duke FOOTBALL? Maybe as a stopgap.

I remember a few years ago, a really nice UTenn football fan posted a message about an upcoming Duke-UT football game and summarizing the long-term rivalry (where Duke, over seven decades, had done fairly well).

He said he looked and looked for a Duke football site and finally realized the only way to address Duke fans was through DBR.

Well guys, there needs to be a Duke Football Report. Who's going to start it?

sagegrouse

sagegrouse

Excellent point. Sounds like something for watzone!

langthechamp
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Perhaps DukeFootballReport.com (http://www.dukefootballreport.com) is what you're looking for.

Bluedog
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Perhaps DukeFootballReport.com (http://www.dukefootballreport.com) is what you're looking for.

Thanks for the link! Looks like that site was created on 01/12/08. The Forums are taking a long time to load for me - must be lots of traffic!:D

Of note on the front page is that the 9th best ACC team will play in the inaugural Congressional Bowl in DC against Navy (assuming both teams are bowl eligible with 6 wins)...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072202630.html

OldPhiKap
07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Are these new commitments expected to redshirt?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I love this Durham Hillside connection! Now let's work on Southern Durham. Look at it like this, many have said Duke can't recruit in state. Well, Cut is proving that he can. You don't see Duke even recruiting where Roof and company did or at least not with the former emphasis. Cut is painting with a broader stroke and that's what you have to do to make a change. Laugh if you must, but Duke Football will finally turn around under Cut's watch. I for one, am looking forward to the season and the opener versus Jame Madison on August 31st at 7:00. FWIW, Duke has now added Lee Butler's brother who is a pretty good DB prospect. That's pretty good news for us football fans.
For those who want to purchase some football tickets, but not the whole season, the Ticket Office is now offering some mini plans each priced at $55 for general admission. The first includes James Madison (8/30, 7P), Northwestern (9/6, 7P) and Navy (9/13, 12N). The second pack includes Virginia (9/27) and Miami (10/18). The third is a super combination of NC State (11/8) and Carolina (11/29). According to the ticket web site, you pick one from each group to comprise a 3 game pack. Go to goduke.com and select Tickets from the menu at the top.

The student section is being moved around toward the home side of the stadium. The unreserved general admission seats will be on one side of the student section. Those who become Iron Dukes at the $250 level will have parking passes for football. Note: The least confusing way to proceed is to become an Iron Duke before you order your tickets. Iron Dukes order tickets from their own page of the web site. (Under Tickets)

budwom
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Excellent point. Sounds like something for watzone!

Actually, the Devils Den has had a VERY active football discussion group for quite some time. There's a free board and a premium board. It's the best discussion milieu by far for Duke football fans.

Huh?
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
This is GREAT. Coach Cutt isn't wasting any time. I haven't been this excited about Duke football in a looooooooonnnnnnnggggg time. Couple of years and we may be playing for an ACC title. Super optimistic right now.

DukeDude
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe! These next several years are going to be very exciting for Duke football. Coach Cut and staff have really changed the culture before they even played a game.

watzone
07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Actually, the Devils Den has had a VERY active football discussion group for quite some time. There's a free board and a premium board. It's the best discussion milieu by far for Duke football fans.

Uh, yeah. I pushed people there for five straight years, 2001 to 2006. The Blue Devil Nation will soon put a lot of emphasis on football. Many of you have probably missed the picture galleries of Spring practice and the fact we go to the press conferences and such. I'm currently building a new site or version of BDN which should launch just before football season. However, we will continue to only offer premium or members message boards.

OldPhiKap
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Will all these new recruits redshirt?

Gunnar Kaufman
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Will all these new recruits redshirt?

Some will and some will not. But the bottom line is that the best players will play.

But Coach Cutcliffe expects to waste no time. He fully expects to be coaching in a bowl game this December.

buddy
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
the tiny part of the stadium devoted to season ticket holders when I got my season ticket renewal forms this year. I am trying not to get too excited about this year, but I really believe the future is looking up under Coach Cut. I much prefer to see us recruiting against Rutgers than Western Carolina. I just hope I don't lose my 40 yard line seats!

Newton_14
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Ok guys, I just signed up on DFR. Thanks for the link. I had no idea it existed.

dukemomLA
07-26-2008, 01:36 AM
(First of all, welcome Boozer).

YAHOO!! I agree that the Desmond commit is VERY IMPORTANT!! and wonderful. I love that Coach Cut has added QBs to the fold (as expected), but QBs can't do their best without the threat of great RBs.

Desmond we welcome you with open arms, and (hopefully) full stadiums.

Hey, DBR guys -- I'm 3,000 miles away..........so help me out here and get your butts out to (...I agree...disgusting) Wade Stadium.

I know we can't expect miracles within the next year or two, but I'm feelin' that Duke Football is on the right track. Yikes...wouldn't that be fun!??!

Bluedawg
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
This is great. One important thing about getting local recruits is the chance to gain some fans that otherwise wouldn't have pulled for Duke. Surely his family, and possibly some close friends, will convert to the Blue Devils, at least while he's there. Plus he looks to be a great back. Excellent pickup.

Another key to this signing is this comment by Miller Safrit (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1154715.html) [highlight mine]

Scout.com regional recruiting analyst Miller Safrit said Scott gives Duke a dynamic running back who can play in a lot of different places and demonstrates that Cutcliffe will be an aggressive recruiter.

he goes on to say...

"They are definitely a team to be reckoned with, with this new coaching staff," Safrit said.

When was the last time that was said about Duke Football...

Bluedawg
07-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Regardless of the fact that we will never have the horses that Miami or Virginia Tech can bring to campuse,....

I can't agree with that statement. I think the Desmond Scott signing shows that he is going after the horses.

Scott, who is rated the fourth-best prospect overall in the class of 2009 in North Carolina by rivals.com, previously had committed to Rutgers. But his father, Tony Scott, said Desmond was excited about the direction of Duke's program under Cutcliffe.

After further consideration, Scott decided he preferred to stay close to home and help Cutcliffe improve football at Duke.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1154715.html

Gunnar Kaufman
07-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't agree with that statement. I think the Desmond Scott signing shows that he is going after the horses.

I'm with Bluedawg on this one.

The distinction between Duke and Va. Tech will no longer be those we're legitimately able to land. It will come down to percentages, at least in the short run.

Va. Tech's classes are filled with 4-star talent.

We'll know we've "arrived" when we get to that level.

So far, so good.

OldPhiKap
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok guys, I just signed up on DFR. Thanks for the link. I had no idea it existed.

Same here. Two outlets are better than one.

whereinthehellami
07-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm with Bluedawg on this one.

The distinction between Duke and Va. Tech will no longer be those we're legitimately able to land. It will come down to percentages, at least in the short run.

Va. Tech's classes are filled with 4-star talent.

We'll know we've "arrived" when we get to that level.

So far, so good.

I follow football recruiting pretty closely and VT isn't exactly known as a recruiting powerhouse in football. They do well but they are not on the level of Clemson, Miami, FSU, and the elite teams you see in the TOP 10 in football. VT usually gets a handful of 4 stars, maybe 1 five star (every other year) but they really do well with the 3 stars (under rated talent) from the VA beach area. But the bottom line is that Clemson, Miami, and FSU really are on another level of recruiting than VT and thats why , IMO, VT's run has been impressive.

The biggest difference and limiting factor between Duke and the other ACC programs in recruiting will be Duke's admission standards. The talent that VT gets from the 757 (VA beach area) would for the most part not get through the Duke admissions. So my point is that while Duke will start to land some high level talent its that mid-level talent (what most rosters are filled with) that Duke will always be a little behind in due to their tougher admissions policies.

Gunnar Kaufman
07-27-2008, 09:15 AM
I follow football recruiting pretty closely and VT isn't exactly known as a recruiting powerhouse in football. They do well but they are not on the level of Clemson, Miami, FSU, and the elite teams you see in the TOP 10 in football. VT usually gets a handful of 4 stars, maybe 1 five star (every other year) but they really do well with the 3 stars (under rated talent) from the VA beach area. But the bottom line is that Clemson, Miami, and FSU really are on another level of recruiting than VT and thats why , IMO, VT's run has been impressive.

The biggest difference and limiting factor between Duke and the other ACC programs in recruiting will be Duke's admission standards. The talent that VT gets from the 757 (VA beach area) would for the most part not get through the Duke admissions. So my point is that while Duke will start to land some high level talent its that mid-level talent (what most rosters are filled with) that Duke will always be a little behind in due to their tougher admissions policies.

Can't disagree with a word of that.

SupaDave
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM

I can!!! Not only does Virigina Tech have a BETTER engineering school - it's also no slouch to get into.

http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/freshman/what_do_we_look_for.php

I'm tired of all these fallicies with admission standards being blown out of proportion. Anyone can go to Duke if they've got the right combination of skills.

The second you guys realize that Duke is a private school and can admit ANYONE they want then that's when you will realize that Duke can be competitive.

http://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump/applying/who_process.asp

It's not the admission requirements. It's the cost that separates a lot of kids from being able to go to Duke. The average in-state kid would automatically look at Virginia Tech before Duke if they couldn't get a full ride.

There's a LOT more competition to get into Duke for regular students but football players bring something different to the campus - especially if they are good kids.

So it all depends. I'm a Georgia Tech grad and Virginia Tech is our sister school (before the ACC even) and I know that our engineering programs are a bit more respected than Duke's (which has been steadily on the rise however).

Point being - don't let 'requirements' fool you. There will always be room for good, talented kids who will pay attention to their school work.

I also think you underestimate the number of smart kids out there.

And if YOU really want to talk about admissions I suggest you go look at what the basketball players have been majoring in the for the last 10 seasons. A LOT of sociology and history majors...

Gunnar Kaufman
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I can!!! Not only does Virigina Tech have a BETTER engineering school - it's also no slouch to get into.

I'm tired of all these fallicies with admission standards being blown out of proportion. Anyone can go to Duke if they've got the right combination of skills.

The second you guys realize that Duke is a private school and can admit ANYONE they want then that's when you will realize that Duke can be competitive.

It's not the admission requirements. It's the cost that separates a lot of kids from being able to go to Duke. The average in-state kid would automatically look at Virginia Tech before Duke if they couldn't get a full ride.

There's a LOT more competition to get into Duke for regular students but football players bring something different to the campus - especially if they are good kids.

So it all depends. I'm a Georgia Tech grad and Virginia Tech is our sister school (before the ACC even) and I know that our engineering programs are a bit more respected than Duke's (which has been steadily on the rise however).

Point being - don't let 'requirements' fool you. There will always be room for good, talented kids who will pay attention to their school work.

And if YOU really want to talk about admissions I suggest you go look at what the basketball players have been majoring in the for the last 10 seasons. A LOT of sociology and history majors...

If it is in fact as difficult or more so for Virginia Tech to admit football players than it is for Duke, I will gladly proclaim, "Mea culpa."

Atldukie79
07-27-2008, 01:52 PM

I respect Va Tech and it's engineering program. Two years ago my son and I toured each of the 3 schools you mention (Ga. Tech, Va. Tech and Duke) with the purpose of evaluating their engineering programs. All are impressive. Your reference to Va Tech having a better engineering school is rather an incomplete statement...it certainly is larger (more students, more majors, more professors, etc.) and the school has a focus on engineering.

But I think you will find that the caliber of student (based on traditional measures of SATs, grades, rigor of high school curriculum)admited to Duke (Engineering or Trinity) far exceed Va Tech. And this discussion is based on admitting students, not reputations of certain departments.

Yes, Duke is a provate school and could admit anyone they want...but they don't and they shouldn't...and they won't.

In any event, I find your point about athletes and their majors to be quite cogent. How many football players at any school are engineering majors?? Very few I am sure.

wilson
07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
In any event, I find your point about athletes and their majors to be quite cogent. How many football players at any school are engineering majors?? Very few I am sure.

My thoughts exactly. And a few of us history majors would also take exception to the flip side of your argument.;)

formerdukeathlete
07-27-2008, 06:42 PM

I do not know where to start. As someone involved in the Duke admission process for some years, I feel it worthwhile to mention a few things.

Yes, while Georgia Tech is rated the best engineering school in the south and Va Tech also has a good engineering school, the math sats of kids at Duke engineering are higher than at both of these schools, by a statistically significant margin.

I do agree with your state school thesis, however, it sort of stops, drops off when you arrive at school of the calibre of Duke. If financial considerations weigh in, as they do in many cases, why pay top dollar to attend Emory for engineering, when you are from Georgia, qualify for their in state merit based tuition scholarship, and you can go to the best engineering school in the south - Ga Tech, for next to nothing? The answer is, that you typically dont want to do it, unless money is less of a factor. (btw, financial aid is changing - becoming more generous - whereby more "middle class" kids will pick private U's over in-state rivals).

But, once you get into the Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Standord, Duke, Penn category, there is a bit of a different analysis. More folks are willing to pay up for the most prestigious U's in the country.

Let's get back to Va Tech - yes they have a good engineering school, but they admit NCAA mins all the time.

The last time the NCAA released average SATs of Football teams (1997), Duke was 2 or 3 behind only Stanford and maybe Rice at the time. Ga Tech and Va TEch were down the list.

Now, getting to someone else's point here. Va tech is a 3 star average recruiting class program. It is not that the school is hard to get through, nor that they require x in football players (which they clearly do not). It is because Va Tech is in the middle of nowhere.

Imo, Duke will, would be able to out recruit Va Tech, with some sustained success in Football, because it is a top 10 university and one of the best in the world.

BTW, as a general matter if you apply to Duke with 1500 math and verbal (750 or better math) for the engineer school, you have about 1 in 3 shot of getting in. that presumes you are in the top 5% at least of the class. If you apply to Va Tech or Ga Tech with those credentials, you get in, 100% of the time.

OldPhiKap
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I think most GT players major in hotel management or business management. There aren't a lot of EE's or BME's on the offensive line.

Bluedog
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I think most GT players major in hotel management or business management. There aren't a lot of EE's or BME's on the offensive line.

Yep....Every single senior on their roster (http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html) that I clicked on is majoring in "management." I can only recall one engineering major on the football team in the last few years: DE Eli Nichols. In fact, he had a 3.6 GPA in mechanical engineering! A solid GPA for any non-football player for sure. He also got a degree in masters in engineering management, while playing his fourth year. In men's basketball, there have been none recently that I can recall. In women's basketball, Vicki Krapohl (who graduated in 2004) is the last one I can remember.

Edit: Patrick Bailey, who just graduated from Duke, majored in electrical and computer engineering...also named to all-acc academic honor roll.

yancem
07-27-2008, 10:45 PM

I've been away from Durham for a long time but when I was in high school Northern Durham was always the big football school. If I remember correctly Southern and Hillside weren't very good

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I've been away from Durham for a long time but when I was in high school Northern Durham was always the big football school. If I remember correctly Southern and Hillside weren't very good
Much has changed over the years. Changes in the middle school football programs have contributed to the change in relative strength of he high school programs. Coaching changes have had some impact as well. Ken Browning left Northern to join the Carolina football coaching staff and has been a positive link for recruiting.

In recent years Riverside has produced some good teams and some good players.

Edouble
07-28-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm a native Atlantan. Atlanta is a Tech city (GA Tech that is), but the Duke name still blows ATLiens out of the water, leaving Emory and Tech in the dust. If Tech has a more respected engineering program, it's among alumni of Georgia Tech.

devildeac
07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm a native Atlantan. Atlanta is a Tech city (GA Tech that is), but the Duke name still blows ATLiens out of the water, leaving Emory and Tech in the dust. If Tech has a more respected engineering program, it's among alumni of Georgia Tech.

You can also have the "best of both worlds" WRT Emory and GT if you are admitted to Emory and their "engineering" program which means you do a 3/2 or 3/3 and graduate from Emory and GT with your BS or MS and your Emory degree (I think). My 2 younger children both investigated this option but "ended up" at Duke:D. Lavabe may have some additional insights on this as he just finished several years on the faculty at Emory and was a frosh advisor, too.

sagegrouse
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM

I went to grad school at Rice in Houston many, many years ago. In Houston at that time the Duke brand was extremely strong -- on a par with any school in the Ivy League. It seemed to be about equal parts academic reputation, eastern but still southern, acceptable athletics (football was still strong), a memorable name and a touch of je ne sais quoi. Funny, but tiny Rice with its free tuition had higher test scores than Duke but not as much honor in its home city.

sagegrouse

SupaDave
07-28-2008, 01:43 PM

As a Northern Durham alum - let me tell you that when they rezoned and created Riverside - they in essence, destroyed Northern's dominant run in Durham, NC.

SupaDave
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I went to grad school at Rice in Houston many, many years ago. In Houston at that time the Duke brand was extremely strong -- on a par with any school in the Ivy League. It seemed to be about equal parts academic reputation, eastern but still southern, acceptable athletics (football was still strong), a memorable name and a touch of je ne sais quoi. Funny, but tiny Rice with its free tuition had higher test scores than Duke but not as much honor in its home city.

sagegrouse

The city of Houston isn't what I would call a college town. They are very much a pro sports kind of town.

SupaDave
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Yep....Every single senior on their roster (http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html) that I clicked on is majoring in "management." I can only recall one engineering major on the football team in the last few years: DE Eli Nichols. In fact, he had a 3.6 GPA in mechanical engineering! A solid GPA for any non-football player for sure. He also got a degree in masters in engineering management, while playing his fourth year. In men's basketball, there have been none recently that I can recall. In women's basketball, Vicki Krapohl (who graduated in 2004) is the last one I can remember.

Edit: Patrick Bailey, who just graduated from Duke, majored in electrical and computer engineering...also named to all-acc academic honor roll.

Touche' but like I said we are underestimating the number of smart kids out there as well. We are talking about football players, student athletes who represent the university and who are super busy. I think the requirements change somewhat from the 1600 SAT kid who just lives in the books.

You all should read this article - it's a bit old but the issue is the same nonetheless.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2003-11-18-atheletes-majors_x.htm

Especially this paragraph:

"The phenomenon isn't limited to football factories. Based on information in 2003 team media guides, at Duke, nearly one in three of the football players who have declared a major have chosen sociology. At Wake Forest, 23 of 52 players were specializing, or planning to specialize, in communication. At Harvard, 35 of the 75 football players listed as having chosen a "concentration," as majors are called there, have selected economics."

Not hating on Sociology OR History - I'm just saying...

formerdukeathlete
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Touche' but like I said we are underestimating the number of smart kids out there as well. We are talking about football players, student athletes who represent the university and who are super busy. I think the requirements change somewhat from the 1600 SAT kid who just lives in the books.

You all should read this article - it's a bit old but the issue is the same nonetheless.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2003-11-18-atheletes-majors_x.htm

Especially this paragraph:

"The phenomenon isn't limited to football factories. Based on information in 2003 team media guides, at Duke, nearly one in three of the football players who have declared a major have chosen sociology. At Wake Forest, 23 of 52 players were specializing, or planning to specialize, in communication. At Harvard, 35 of the 75 football players listed as having chosen a "concentration," as majors are called there, have selected economics."

Not hating on Sociology OR History - I'm just saying...

I think the education school at Harvard used to be a place where Football players also tended to gravitate. Econ. at Harvard is a pretty challanging major.

My impression - Cut seems to be considering academics a bit more in deciding whom to offer. North Carolina native O line verbals Finison (Harvard and Yale apparently were in the mix) and Simmons (a 4.6 GPA) might be examples of this. Farrell from Atlanta might not have gotten Roof's attention as scout's 96th rated tight end. Cut offered him early - so happens he is also a top student. Desmond Scott, of course a top prospect, reports a solid 3.7 GPA at Hillside. Better students will tend to be more interested in attending Duke, in accepting the work load trade off.

wilko
07-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I just got another notification we picked up a Raleigh recruit from Leesville HS right down the road from me..

Regardless of what these young men choose to major in I think the on the field performance is on the going to shake the eath like a rocket liftoff...

What I've seen and the energy and Buzz around Football is like nothing I have seen with reguard to Duke Football. Not used to it at all.. BUT I like it.

I think the football buzz will bleed into other recruiting like basketball. This is uncharted area.

roywhite
07-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I just got another notification we picked up a Raleigh recruit from Leesville HS right down the road from me..

Regardless of what these young men choose to major in I think the on the field performance is on the going to shake the eath like a rocket liftoff...

What I've seen and the energy and Buzz around Football is like nothing I have seen with reguard to Duke Football. Not used to it at all.. BUT I like it.

I think the football buzz will bleed into other recruiting like basketball. This is uncharted area.

If I'm counting right, that's 6 commitments from North Carolina HS players, including 5 from the Triangle. Great to see Coach Cut getting a good local base, and it won't hurt attendance either.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2008, 12:12 AM
If I'm counting right, that's 6 commitments from North Carolina HS players, including 5 from the Triangle. Great to see Coach Cut getting a good local base, and it won't hurt attendance either.

One of the points Coach Cutcliffe has made repeatedly is that the number one factor in recruiting is geography.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 08:57 AM
One of the points Coach Cutcliffe has made repeatedly is that the number one factor in recruiting is geography.

And speed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
And speed.
From the coach's standpoint, yes, speed and agility. Looking at recruiting from the player's point of view, Coach Cutcliffe says geography is the top factor. With the increasing numbers of in-state recruits who seem to be good students, Coach Cutcliffe is proving his point about there being good football players who are good students nearby ..... they've just been going somewhere else.

As the countdown on goduke.com says, it's 32 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes, 7 seconds and counting to the Dawn of New Day?

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
As the countdown on goduke.com says, it's 32 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes, 7 seconds and counting to the Dawn of New Day?

I would play "Also sprach Zarathustra" at the beginning of our first game but the S.C. Gamecocks already do that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I would play "Also sprach Zarathustra" at the beginning of our first game but the S.C. Gamecocks already do that.
I'd love for ole Wallace Wade to vibrate and reverberate like Williams-Brice. My last visit there for a football game was the last Duke - South Carolina game. When the band started playing that music, the noise level exceeded anything I'd ever experienced.... at least until I went to a Texas - Arkansas game in Austin (near the end of that series)!

wilko
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
A new round of recruits wanting to board the Cutcliffe train. (Putnam & Wise)

As a witness to this whole thing... Im stunned. Simply stunned.. in the good way.

I wonder what reactions and reverbarations are echoing quitely around the league about Dukes new presence in recruiting. I know they prolly cant *say* anything.... but those in the know could elaborate if eyebrows are being raised... But any stretch... this is not your average Duke status quo.. this is new and intense.

I cant help but think (hope) the coaching staff can evaluate talent and teach them to build off of raw God-Given ability...

Is this what it feels like to be a football school?
(I know I know... they have to play and win some games 1st)

But wow!!!
Soon, after the rare league BB loss we can chant "Wait till Football"

Im not gonna know how to behave..

Bobby Bowden always spoke carefully about Duke ... he seemed to worry about Duke figuring out football.

The age old chant of wait till next year is over. Next year begins here.. this year.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd love for ole Wallace Wade to vibrate and reverberate like Williams-Brice. My last visit there for a football game was the last Duke - South Carolina game. When the band started playing that music, the noise level exceeded anything I'd ever experienced.... at least until I went to a Texas - Arkansas game in Austin (near the end of that series)!

"The 'Cocks ain't a-playin'
'til the stands start a-swayin"

(That may not be exacty right, but I've heard many SC grads give that response).

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Some months ago the subject of a tailgate or pregame gathering came up.... and you seemed to be the best one to coordinate gatherings.... after all, you were running for AD. What's planned for the first game?