PDA

View Full Version : Are you one of "Us" or "Them?"

EarlJam
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine who is a writer has a blog and writes about random observations on life. I found the following entry amusing. So what are you? One of "Us" or "Them?" This is a private poll.

Source: http://davidmarkwilliams.blogspot.com/

Us and Them

One of the interesting things about working in corporate America, if you are the creative type, is that you frequently don't know what the hell people are talking about.

I go to a lot of meetings, about 95 percent of which are a waste of time (they have food at the other 5 percent). In the non-food meetings, I generally pass the time by pretending to take notes but actually making lists, like my favorite 100 albums of all time, or all the big cities I’ve visited, or all the famous people I’ve met. If anybody ever asks to borrow my notes, they’ll wonder what Highway 61 Revisited and Pete Rose have to do with the latest supply chain communication plan.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a meeting, and somebody is up there talking or giving a presentation, and I don't have the foggiest notion what they're talking about. This is in part because I have the attention span of a 4-year-old, and in part because I'm not one of "Them."

In big companies, especially mine, the employee base is divided into those who are just trying to get through each week without getting fired (Us), and the true believers who take all of the BS that flows from the executive suite and swallow it like a big bite of banana pudding (Them).

It can be confusing. Sometimes you think somebody is one of Us, but then you go into a meeting and they are talking about stakeholders and initiatives and branding, and you think, Oh my God. He's one of Them!

This is troubling to the rest of Us, because now we don't know if he has changed sides, or if we just read him wrong, or if he was one of Them all along and has been spying on us! This is such an important topic that I am breaking my long-standing boycott of exclamation marks!

I saw this on a flyer in an elevator in my office building: "Internal brand building is the organization development process to create alignment between an individual's personal brand and the values of the organization." Clearly, that was written by one of Them, because none of Us can understand it.

Seriously, what does that mean? What is an individual brand? Is it like what you put on a cow?

I guess it means self-promotion, which is the fuel that drives success in the corporate world. I hope I don't sound bitter, and I really don't want to leave the impression that being a shameless huckster for yourself is the only way to get ahead. It also helps a lot if you're related to an executive.

Even writers need to be self-promoters, and my lack of such a skill has hampered me in that field, just as it does in the corporate world. I only half-heartedly tried to get my novel published. It didn't help that my cover letters went something like, "Look, I know you're busy, and I hate to be a bother, but if you have a few minutes to kill, you may want to read this and see what you think. You know, no pressure, and I'll understand perfectly if you don't want to publish it. It's really not a big deal. As a matter of fact, forget the whole thing. Sincerely, Mark Williams."

Maybe I should try again, and this time I'll get one of Them to write my cover letter.

blublood
07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I go to a lot of meetings, about 95 percent of which are a waste of time (they have food at the other 5 percent). In the non-food meetings, I generally pass the time by pretending to take notes but actually making lists, like my favorite 100 albums of all time, or all the big cities I’ve visited, or all the famous people I’ve met.

Wait... does 2535Miles have a blog?? If so, I think we've revealed his secret identity. :)

Bostondevil
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Wait... does 2535Miles have a blog?? If so, I think we've revealed his secret identity. :)

I know his first name, but I'm not sharing (without permission). Unless of course, he used an alias with me.

I think I'm an US. I don't work for a big corporation in the first place.

Jfrosh
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Well I thought I was one of "us", but I guess I must hang out with other "thems", because as someone coming from an upwardly moving corporate environment I seem to fit your definition. I also get the branding quote so I must be one of them.

OldPhiKap
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm a "Y'all".

wilson
07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm a "Y'all".

Fantastic.

2535Miles
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm one of "Us". But one of my abilities, or my "value-add to the company" (in Them-speak) is that I understand Thems' language and can "boil it down to layman's terms" for "Us". On the flip side, I can make executives understand the nerd speak that comes out of development. Talk about being caught between a rock and hard place.

That's a great piece of writing, unfortunately, it's not mine.

I know his first name, but I'm not sharing (without permission). Unless of course, he used an alias with me.
I think I'm an US. I don't work for a big corporation in the first place.
Busted! The whole 'jeremy' thing is just one of my many aliases. Every third Saturday you can find me in my favorite alias dealing Pai Gow at Indian Reservations:
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/buena_vista/alias__the_complete_first_season/jennifer_garner/alias2.jpg

OZZIE4DUKE
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I answered without reading any details.

I am Duke through and through. Are you one of US?

DevilAlumna
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Gosh, I think I'm one of "them."

I get the purpose of internal branding.

I do find supply chain operations and logistics fascinating.

I want my team to create synergies with other corporate entities, for the betterment of both our customers and our company.

Though I do find myself frequently "just trying to get through each week without getting fired," but that's just because there's so much to do, and so little time to do it, and I strenuously object to working nights & weekends.

<sigh>When did I become so... corporate?

(and frankly, I've never understood the appeal of "list your top 10/100/53 favorite [things]" -- is it a guy thing? Like in "High Fidelity"? (the book, not the crappy movie))

Fish80
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I fell into a crack between us and them and wander the halls understanding neither? :D

mapei
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I work for a nonprofit that isn't very corporate, but after reading EJ's friend's piece I'd much rather be in the group that guy isn't in. He seems cynical, lazy, and condescending all at once!

2535Miles
07-25-2008, 03:53 AM
I don't share the exact definition of Us (I'm not trying to avoid being fired) but I think I can related to that position better than being one of Them. I work for a small, privately held company and think the major difference between Us an Them, from my perspective, is that our employees at the so-called bottom establish themes, goals, and principles for the company, not the executives. We started this business nine years, the executives joined later, they're interchangeable and expendable, we are not.

2535Miles
07-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Gosh, I think I'm one of "them."

I get the purpose of internal branding.

I do find supply chain operations and logistics fascinating.

I want my team to create synergies with other corporate entities, for the betterment of both our customers and our company.

Though I do find myself frequently "just trying to get through each week without getting fired," but that's just because there's so much to do, and so little time to do it, and I strenuously object to working nights & weekends.

<sigh>When did I become so... corporate?

(and frankly, I've never understood the appeal of "list your top 10/100/53 favorite [things]" -- is it a guy thing? Like in "High Fidelity"? (the book, not the crappy movie))
I get the purpose of internal branding, and I also find supply chain ops and logistics fascinating. I want the guys on my team to get along (sorry I just can't use the synergies) for the benefit of our customers (that's why we're here right?). I don't think any of these things make you corporate, or necessarily on of the Them so fear not DA.

As I said earlier, I'm not trying to get through the week with getting fired, I just ask my boss on every Monday: "Hey Chief, which ball can I drop this week, and which ones have to stay in the air?"

BlueDevilJay
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Everytime I hear the word synergy, I instantly think of the movie "In Good Company" with Topher Grace and Scarlett Johannsen (sp?) For those of you have seen it.....ladies and gentlemen....Tedy K!!!! TEDY K!!!!!

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/object/event/wireimage/15/219/620_g.jpg

BlueDevilJay
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, and I have always been in the "Us" catagory up until I just took this new job, as I'm now in Community Relations and work quite a bit with my company's "Executive Council" so I'd have to say I'm moving over to the "Them" catagory. If it means a pay increase, I'll do what I have to do!

Turk
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I would think everyone on DBR is an "us" by definition.... The only exception would be any Tarheels that might come to visit. However, I'd complement *them* on their good taste...

When "they say you shouldn't go swimming right after eating", I've always wondered who "they" were...

And what if God was one of us?