PDA

View Full Version : Getting Into Cameron

MLeeJr
07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Everyone!! I am new to the forum and new to the area, but not new to being a Duke fan. I have been a Duke fan all of my life (25 years) and just moved down here to N. Raleigh. The Iron Dukes looks pretty cool, and I'm interested in joining.

How much do you have to donate to have any real shot at getting into a game at Cameron. It's a dream of mine to see a game in there and I'm trying to find the best way to do it.

I already went up to Cameron just to check it out, and I had the chills walking through there...It was special to say the least.

I called some ticket brokers in the area and the guy told me that the cheapest ticket all year at Cameron would be at least $500 and if I wanted to see UNC come to Cameron it would be somewhere around $2,500....That is just crazy!!

So I'm thinking about joining the Iron Dukes, but if anyone can give me some info on how much you need to donate to have a realistic shot at seeing a game in Cameron I would appreciate it!!!! Thanks!

Indoor66
07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Everyone!! I am new to the forum and new to the area, but not new to being a Duke fan. I have been a Duke fan all of my life (25 years) and just moved down here to N. Raleigh. The Iron Dukes looks pretty cool, and I'm interested in joining.

How much do you have to donate to have any real shot at getting into a game at Cameron. It's a dream of mine to see a game in there and I'm trying to find the best way to do it.

I already went up to Cameron just to check it out, and I had the chills walking through there...It was special to say the least.

I called some ticket brokers in the area and the guy told me that the cheapest ticket all year at Cameron would be at least $500 and if I wanted to see UNC come to Cameron it would be somewhere around $2,500....That is just crazy!!

So I'm thinking about joining the Iron Dukes, but if anyone can give me some info on how much you need to donate to have a realistic shot at seeing a game in Cameron I would appreciate it!!!! Thanks!

Welcome. You can get Iron Dukes details here: http://www.irondukes.net/

DukeUsul
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
All you need to do is donate $100 to join. It will take many thousands to get to the top of the line for season tickets.

As an Iron Duke (at any donation level) you will have the option to purchase tickets for games while the students are out on winter break. I've never been denied these tickets (and I don't give much).

You can also call up the ID ticket exchange. The 48 hrs or so before the game, call the exchange, leave your name and details. If you are lucky, some IDs who can't make the game will turn in their tickets. The ticket office will go down the list of non-ticket-holding IDs who have made requests for game tickets (going down the list in order of priority) and call to see if you want to buy them (for face value). This has worked for me 2-3 times (out of maybe 8 attempts).

Since you are in the area, you can also attempt the "McGrupp" method (named for a DBR poster). Show up outside Cameron on game night wearing your best Duke outfit. Stand near the ID entrance (near the football stadium) and hold up a couple fingers. Good IDs would rather sell spare tickets to a real fan rather than a scalper (who camp out closer to the parking lots). I've gotten into games this way on about a 50/50 success rate. Note: this only works for "regular" games and will not work for big ones. If you aren't successful - just hit the bar.

MLeeJr
07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Haha, Awesome! Thanks for the advice...Any good sports bar by Cameron incase I'm not successful?

Thanks guys!

dukeENG2003
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah, bring some $, and try to get in that way. I paid $90 (for 2 tix) to get into Duke-Indiana a couple years ago. They were pretty crappy seats though (well, no seat is crappy in cameron, but these were TOP row). Find the right games, and be willing to wait it out until close to gametime. People get more desperate the closer you get to gametime. The key to finding a good deal is being willing to not get in if the price isn't right. Thankfully, I'm on grad student spouse tickets for now, but back then, I'd try, and if I failed, go to Armadillo Grill in the Bryan Center, drink some beers, and watch the game there.

UncleBill
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
We got into a small time game a few years back, Tennessee-Martin, a last minute addition played Nov 20, 2004. This year we are aiming for either Montana Nov 23rd or whoever will be playing the day after Thanksgiving Day this year, I forget which team. Early season games against "unknown" opponents would be the easiest, I would say. Especially when students are out of town, it opens up a lot of seats.

MLeeJr
07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I appreciate all the info guys...This is great stuff!

weezie
07-22-2008, 06:47 PM
They were pretty crappy seats though (well, no seat is crappy in cameron, but these were TOP row).

Top row is better than sitting in those pinched, angled corner seats lower down. At least you can stand up and not have some cranky geezer whine at you to sit down and stop screaming. I kid you not, we had people behind us griping during the unc game that we were blocking their view. Sighhhhhhh.........

77devil
07-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Join the Iron Dukes for $100 and you will eligible for the ticket exchange at face value. See Stray Gator's explanation in the Iron Duke's thread. I used the exchange all the time when my son was in school and was successful nearly every time. Forget it for big games though.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Everyone!! I am new to the forum and new to the area, but not new to being a Duke fan. I have been a Duke fan all of my life (25 years) and just moved down here to N. Raleigh.

Mike, I've sent you a PM (Private message). Look at the top right of the message board to link to it and read it.

Yes, please do join the Iron Dukes.

Freethrw33
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Top row is better than sitting in those pinched, angled corner seats lower down. At least you can stand up and not have some cranky geezer whine at you to sit down and stop screaming. I kid you not, we had people behind us griping during the unc game that we were blocking their view. Sighhhhhhh.........

The `most interesting` seats in Cameron (I won`t say worst because there are no bad seats in Cameron) have to be the 10 or so seats around the top row which are behind steel support columns. From them, leaning forward, you can only see half the court.

For those looking to buy tickets, don`t worry though, because I don`t think these seats are sold to anyone (even Iron Dukes). Instead, the tickets for these games are distributed at game time to students who can`t squeeze into the student section.

From experience, I got to see half of one of JJ`s best games (2005-2006 against UVA; 40 points on 13 shots). Offense only the first half and defense only the second half.

Actually, more truthfully, by sitting in the aisle (and out of view of the lurking usher) I had a great view for one of my most memorable games in Cameron!

blazindw
07-26-2008, 11:45 AM
The `most interesting` seats in Cameron (I won`t say worst because there are no bad seats in Cameron) have to be the 10 or so seats around the top row which are behind steel support columns. From them, leaning forward, you can only see half the court.

For those looking to buy tickets, don`t worry though, because I don`t think these seats are sold to anyone (even Iron Dukes). Instead, the tickets for these games are distributed at game time to students who can`t squeeze into the student section.

This is true, but they're not given to students every game. Sometimes they are distributed in other ways (like the Carolina game). Sometimes they distribute unused Iron Duke tickets to students, depending on the game and how many students are left outside when the section is deemed full by the fire marshal.