PDA

View Full Version : Baby Gear

dukejunkie
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
A fellow Dukie has just brought another future Devil into the world. Does anyone know the best places to order some Duke baby gifts? Online is easiest. Thanks so much for any help.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Try this link to the University Stores online catalog. You'll see an assortment of toddler and infant items. http://epos7-phx.sequoiars.com/ePOS?this_category=56&store=106&form=shared3%2fgm%2fmain%2ehtml&design=106

bludevl96
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Junkie:

I'm class of '96, and I saw your post about baby gear. My wife owns a web-based boutique and offers a wide range of handmade, personalized items: bibs, burp cloths, onesies, towels, etc. The Snackpack bib is by far the most popular gift item, and it can be personalized for the new Li'l Devil. She gets a ton of requests for team or mascot oriented personalization. Check it out here: http://www.bumbleflybaby.com

May not be the over the top collegiate licensed gear you were looking for, but it's good stuff, and it support the "home team" so to speak. If you decide to buy anything, mention DBR on your order somewhere, and I'll see to it you get good Duke discount!

Go Devils! 9F!

dukejunkie
07-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas. They both look good.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

bludevl96
07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I was reprimanded ...eh hem...by my wife and asked to clarify my earlier post. For the record, while she will personalize her items in nearly unlimited ways, she does not do so with team logos or mascots, as it would violate NCAA copyright rules. She's very careful about this, and she insisted that I clear that up. After 12 years of marriage, you'd think I would have learned to get permission before opening my mouth...LOL. Anyway, best of luck on the gift and congrats to the new Duke parents!

dukejunkie
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Didn't mean to start anything. Thanks anyway and remember to let the wife know you were only trying to help!

summerwind03
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
My favorite Duke thing my son has is a Duke plate, cup and bowl (we have 2!). See link below:

http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/1033/p-169196.shtml

BCGroup
07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I was reprimanded ...eh hem...by my wife and asked to clarify my earlier post. For the record, while she will personalize her items in nearly unlimited ways, she does not do so with team logos or mascots, as it would violate NCAA copyright rules. She's very careful about this, and she insisted that I clear that up. After 12 years of marriage, you'd think I would have learned to get permission before opening my mouth...LOL. Anyway, best of luck on the gift and congrats to the new Duke parents!

But please let her know that you were able to let us know about a GREAT site--too bad I didn't know a week ago when I needed two baby gifts. However, I'm bookmarking her site for the future!

bludevl96
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
You didn't start anything, Dukie... she appreciates the help, and would love to have a small army of faithful Duke customers. (Thanks for the nice note, BC!)

On a side note, I thought of a cool gift idea for you. Several years ago, I started collecting the Wedgwood Duke plates that they made back in the 30's or 40's (I think)...you may have seen them on display in the Alumni House. There are 12 scenes from around campus...available in both blue and red. I found that Ebay is the best place to snag them. I have all 12 now, and I paid an average of $40-50 per plate. I have them in an antique hutch in my dining room, and they really are nice. It's not a very utilitarian gift in that the li'l Devil can't gnaw on it or smack it around, but hey, few nice baby gifts are. Certainly a good keepsake, especially if you snag a chapel vista plate, which makes a nice display item all its own. And, again, it's a rather unique collector's set that you can have fun with year over year...always fun to hunt the other pieces down. Took me about 2 years to get them all.

Good luck!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
You didn't start anything, Dukie... she appreciates the help, and would love to have a small army of faithful Duke customers. (Thanks for the nice note, BC!)

On a side note, I thought of a cool gift idea for you. Several years ago, I started collecting the Wedgwood Duke plates that they made back in the 30's or 40's (I think)...you may have seen them on display in the Alumni House. There are 12 scenes from around campus...available in both blue and red. I found that Ebay is the best place to snag them. I have all 12 now, and I paid an average of $40-50 per plate. I have them in an antique hutch in my dining room, and they really are nice. It's not a very utilitarian gift in that the li'l Devil can't gnaw on it or smack it around, but hey, few nice baby gifts are. Certainly a good keepsake, especially if you snag a chapel vista plate, which makes a nice display item all its own. And, again, it's a rather unique collector's set that you can have fun with year over year...always fun to hunt the other pieces down. Took me about 2 years to get them all.

Good luck!
The prices you paid for the Wedgwood plates are excellent. Replacements LTD has the plates in blue for about $140 each and the same scenes in mulberry for about $100 each. There was a series in pink not currently available.

bludevl96
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Replacements LTD is WAY too high. Ebay is definitely the way to go. Like I said, it's hit and miss, and sometimes the plates go for more than $100 each. However, I had good luck searching for "duke plate" or "wedgwood duke." Over time, you'll find them. There are two of the mulberry plates on ebay right now...starting at around $10. FYI.

dukemomLA
07-24-2008, 03:27 AM
dukepsy1963, RESPOND TO THIS THREAD!! He created some terrific gear for my newly-arrived granddaughter. Awesome stuff. So hound him to show you what he's got!

My daughter's only complaint (which he revised) was that her baby onesie, which she wanted to read, "Already smarter than a UNC Grad" had some Carolina blue. Adamently, she insisted that no Carolina Blue would EVER come anywhere near her children's skin. dukepsy1963 fixed the problemo.

So....dukepsy1963 -- show your stuff here!!!!

Capn Poptart
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Here you go:

http://www.cafepress.com/purplewaterbug.169906002

(Bibs too!)

Carrie
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Man, I'm jealous. I've got a little one due in under three months, and I would LOVE to dress him in Duke stuff. Sadly, as my husband completed his undergrad at a nearby school associated with a distinctly more washed-out shade of blue, we've agreed not to attire our son in clothing associated with either institution.

CrazyCat
07-25-2008, 10:35 PM
The Duke Store has great baby Duke gifts. You can also try calling The Bryan Center to see what baby selections they have in the store.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-26-2008, 05:08 PM
The Duck Shop on Ninth St. in Durham is another good source of Duke items including baby things. They don't currently have a web site to feature their goods, but you might be able to get a catalog from them. The prices are reasonable and the variety often a little different than available at the University Stores. The phone number is 919-416-3348. The store is open M - F 10A-6P, Sat 10A-5P, Sun 12P-5P (EDT).

Edouble
07-27-2008, 11:51 AM
eBay has a good amount of Duke gear, although the supply can fluctuate some. I've never gone looking for baby specific items, but I would be shocked if there weren't any available.