PDA

View Full Version : Iron Dukes Question

ArnieMc
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm interested in joining the Iron Dukes. Do you get anything for referring a new member? If so, would anyone like to refer me? PM if interested.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm interested in joining the Iron Dukes. Do you get anything for referring a new member? If so, would anyone like to refer me? PM if interested.

I'd be happy to refer you. The ID's had a contest last year, but nothing currently. I think you got a hat for a referral, something minor like that. The overall winner, who had 100 plus referrals, got something nice Duke related, but I don't remember what. I just want you to join! PM me with your contact information and I'll get it to Jack Winters.

ArnieMc
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd be happy to refer you. The ID's had a contest last year, but nothing currently. I think you got a hat for a referral, something minor like that. The overall winner, who had 100 plus referrals, got something nice Duke related, but I don't remember what. I just want you to join! PM me with your contact information and I'll get it to Jack Winters.Thanks. I went to the Iron Dukes website and gave them a gift. I assume that means I'm an Iron Duke now.

devilish
07-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks. I went to the Iron Dukes website and gave them a gift. I assume that means I'm an Iron Duke now.

Thanks for joining. Always amazes me at how few Iron Dukes there actually are (around 10,000) when there are so many more Duke fans than that.

Stray Gator
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for joining. Always amazes me at how few Iron Dukes there actually are (around 10,000) when there are so many more Duke fans than that.

I'm also surprised that the number of Iron Dukes isn't much greater, but I think there may be a misconception among many fans that, to become a member of the Iron Dukes, you must be a Duke alumnus or donate a large sum of money. In fact, anyone can join for a minimum donation of $100 per year, which includes a subscription to the Blue Devil Weekly, an auto decal, a lapel pin, and invitations to special Iron Dukes events. Among other benefits, every Iron Dukes member is eligible to register for the ticket exchange--you can put your name on a list if you're interested in purchasing tickets for individual games that are turned back in by season-ticket holders who don't attend (though you may only get a "day of game" notification when such seats become available)--and in some instances can purchase advance tickets for a few of the non-conference games that are played while the students are on holiday break in December and early January. (Of course, the more money you donate, the higher your priority for those tickets; but I believe that tickets are sometimes available to holiday games even for members at the minimum level.)

Perhaps more importantly, once you start giving, even at the minimum level, you start accumulating "priority points" that add up over years of continuous giving and increase with larger donations. I started at the $100 level, and I've done the same for both of my children (who are now Duke alumni themselves) to get them "in the pipeline." Now that I'm a season-ticket holder, those extra points from the early years give me a little added priority over others whose annual contributions are the same. So aside from the personal satisfaction of knowing you're helping to support and promote Duke athletics, there are some good self-serving reasons for becoming an Iron Duke.

sagegrouse
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Iron Dukes is a really good organization. I have been giving for about 15 years and had season tickets for about half that time. (Sagegrouse habitat is now confined to Colorado during hoops season, so it is not cost-effective to maintain season tickets.)

The people that answer the phone are very good to work with and extremely helpful. Jack winters, the leader, and Carol Brantley, a staff person, are first class. Also, they are a source of information from the horse's mouth on tickets, arrangements, etc because the athletic department dispenses men's b-ball tickets exclusively through the ID office.

Every Duke fan that spends time on DBR should join the Iron Dukes.

sagegrouse

devilish
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Every Duke fan that spends time on DBR should join the Iron Dukes.

Amen!