PDA

View Full Version : Classy is as classy does

devildeac
07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
That's quite a police blotter those fine folks in chappaheeya have accumulated. Should make all their alums proud and the residents of this fine state pleased to support such criminal activity at their flagship institution. I realize, as Our Call points out, that we are not without our missteps, but my word, that is really one he//uva list! Any one else care to add to that rap sheet?

slower
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I guess his dalliance with Phil Ford's wife isn't really a crime, but it could constitute "alienation of affection", couldn't it?

Regardless, another in a long line of scumbags.

SmartDevil
07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't know how many of those posted charges resulted in convictions--or, whether they did or not, how many reflected the truth. Have we learned nothing from out own experience about criminal charges often being inaccurate, sometimes even pure bunk?

Anyway, I hate to see Duke fans stoop to the same level as UNC fans. So many Tar Heel fans are contemptible, hysterical, classless folks.

sagegrouse
07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I guess his dalliance with Phil Ford's wife isn't really a crime, but it could constitute "alienation of affection", couldn't it?Regardless, another in a long line of scumbags.Re McInnis:
Not to mention his on-court mugging of diminutive Jay Heaps, that put Duke back in a game that was really lost.

sagegrouse

BlueintheFace
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm adding D'OH for his ASSAULT on poor innocent Andre Buckner... and our angelic assistant Chris Collins. What a monster!

dpslaw
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Check out the headline of The Chapel Hill News article (http://www.chapelhillnews.com/sports/story/15714.html) referenced in Our Call. Apparently those folks don't know the correct spelling of "..."

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know how many of those posted charges resulted in convictions--or, whether they did or not, how many reflected the truth. Have we learned nothing from out own experience about criminal charges often being inaccurate, sometimes even pure bunk?

Anyway, I hate to see Duke fans stoop to the same level as UNC fans. So many Tar Heel fans are contemptible, hysterical, classless folks.
This is an important point, an important tenet of our system of law and justice. In addition, the comparison is one of apples to oranges. Comparing a listing of Duke athletes charged and/or convicted of criminal infractions with the Carolina list would be more nearly comparable.

slower
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

If you're convicted of assault or some of these other crimes, chances are that you might just be contemptible and classless. The FANS didn't make them do it.

Inonehand
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
If you're convicted of assault or some of these other crimes, chances are that you might just be contemptible and classless. The FANS didn't make them do it.

why do we, as fans, feel the need to stoop to their level and run a list of charges against people we truly care nothing about. Just to make ourselves feel better? We should be feel ok without that.

VaDukie
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
"A high standard means that Carolina must pass on a talented, committed recruit who fail to meet the school's SAT requirement (Jason Parker, 2000) or who gets caught selling drugs (JamesOn Curry, 2004)."

A high standard? Seems like enforcing SAT requirements and barring drug dealers from is a pretty minimum standard to me.

RainingThrees
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
JamesOn Curry went to my high school. and he wasn't selling drugs, he was just "holding" them for someone.

xenic
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Along those lines, posting something with the headline "Classy is as classy does" and then simply pointing fingers is really, really funny. Nice work, DBR.

dw0827
07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
After what Duke has suffered through the past several years, what an utterly classless clueless hypocritical piece . . .

. . . and that's My Call.

captmojo
07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
JamesOn Curry went to my high school. and he wasn't selling drugs, he was just "holding" them for someone.

I never really liked cocaine. I only enjoyed the way it smells. :D:D

jdj4duke
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Ah yes- the lacrosse "scandal" (sic); wasn't that sorry episode instigated, manipulated, and perpetuated by a proud graduate of UNC, both undergrad and law schools? Without him, there wouldn't have been any "scandal"

It appears that the ethical standard bearers mentioned for the basketball team should also reach out to the rest of the university community; "moral self-preening" is perfect.

Uncle Drew
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM

Please tell me this was meant tongue in cheek. I don't really think JamesOn is a bad guy really, I've played pick up basketball with him. And it was odd how his case recieved so much more print than the TONS of others arrested for the same or similar crimes. As a native of Alamance County drug use and sales has been going on for years and will continue. But anyone who believes Curry was just "holding" for someone else believes Bill Clinton didn't inhale. I will say the whole sting operation in my opinion was a little on the entrapment side, but I know enough people across the county to know the guy and people he was hanging around were no saints.

I have to say listing every UNC athlete offense in recent years isn't taking the high road, but just like the "exotic entertainer" from LAX, a rap sheet speaks volumes. Truth be told the offense on the list that has always shocked me, or perhaps amazed me is James Worthy. I remember when he got arrested for solicitation of a prostitute before a road game in Houston. Forget ethics, morals and class, if you're a freakin' millionaire several times over, exactly how ugly do you have to be to have to pay for sex? Human beings are odd creatures though, I'll never understand how Hugh Grant got busted for the same thing and had Elizabeth Hurley waiting for him at home.

Carlos
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Don't sell James short - he was busted for 2 hookers, not just one. Plus, he got bailed out and went on to score 20 points that night in Houston.

Big Game James indeed.

Uncle Drew
07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't sell James short - he was busted for 2 hookers, not just one. Plus, he got bailed out and went on to score 20 points that night in Houston.

Big Game James indeed.

Yeah Carlos I remember he got released and had to get to the game as fast as he could, then had a big game. He looked mad the whole game, I'm surprised the Rocket crowd didn't razzle him more. I had no idea it was two prostitutes, actually that makes more sense than just being so butt ugly you have to pay for one despite your millions.

Does it say anything negative about Pat Riley and the Lakers that they actually let him play. (I don't remember any suspension) Or does it speak volumes they went the innocent until PROVEN guilty route?

gotham devil
07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Although one hopes that things have changed since the lacrosse party, college sports teams, both male and female, have been hiring strippers for years. You may recall that St. John’s had a scandal which was terrifically damaging: the team hired a stripper in Pittsburgh, who accused several of them of raping her. The team had the bad taste and good fortune of videotaping the evening’s events, which kept them out of court, but also got three of them kicked out and three others suspended and ended up bringing Mike Jarvis down.

1) The incident did not bring down Mike Jarvis. He was fired nearly two months (12/19/03) before the Pittsburgh incident (February 5, 2004). The somewhat lasting effect upon the sanctimonious cheater Mike Jarvis was that one of the accused six players, Abe Keita, came forward about receiving payments from Jarvis.

After being expelled from St. John's, Keita, who was averaging 0.9 ppg and 2.0 rpg, confessed to receiving monthly payments from the coaching staff. In the skewed moral world of college basketball, where college assistants are asked to take the fall for their head coach, Alex Evans, a longtime assistant to Jarvis, did the "honorable" assistant coaching duty and fell on his sword for Mike Jarvis. Evans, who anyone familiar with him would describe the assistant as about as flashy as Kevin Stallings or Herb Sendek, admitted only to paying the second worst scholarship player, Abe Keita, $300 cash per month for over four years.

None of the St. John's starters, several of whom have made a good income playing basketball in Europe, admitted to receiving under-the-table cash payments. Mike Jarvis, a notorious stickler for attention to details, denied ever knowing about Keita or any of his other players receiving under-the-table cash payments from his assistant Alex Evans.

2) The woman involved was not a stripper. Sherri Ann Urbanek-Bach was an unemployed flight attendant that the six members met that evening at Club Erotica in McKees Rock, PA.

Carlos
07-27-2008, 04:09 AM
down.2) The woman involved was not a stripper. Sherri Ann Urbanek-Bach was an unemployed flight attendant that the six members met that evening at Club Erotica in McKees Rock, PA.

True, the woman was not a stripper, but "unemployed flight attendant" doesn't really reflect the whole story either since the woman admitted to making up the story because the team members reneged on their promise to pay her $1000 for having sex with them.

budwom
07-27-2008, 07:56 AM
The good news for the Chappaheeyans is that if the World's Fastest Female Criminal, Marion Jones, gets her pardon (good luck on that one, Marion) the list of Orange County miscreants drops by one....temporarily, of course, since the football team, always a rich source of mopes, returns to town shortly.

RelativeWays
07-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Posting a rap sheet of the various transgressions of some UNC players like this Our Call article does is pretty classless. I'd expect more from DBR but they seem to be succumbing to the same type of yellow journalism revival that the blog generation has brought about. I think the responsible thing would be to take it down. It makes it appear that Duke fans are a bunch of simple minded peasants that relish scandal and drama. Get that plebeian crap out of here.

moonpie23
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
ha!!! have you even glanced at the UNC Board? talk about some simple minded peasants.......sheesh....

Indoor66
07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Posting a rap sheet of the various transgressions of some UNC players like this Our Call article does is pretty classless. I'd expect more from DBR but they seem to be succumbing to the same type of yellow journalism revival that the blog generation has brought about. I think the responsible thing would be to take it down. It makes it appear that Duke fans are a bunch of simple minded peasants that relish scandal and drama. Get that plebeian crap out of here.

I agree with you on this. Pointing out their failings does nothing to advance our cause. It is only acting with as little class as we accuse them. It is petty.

moonpie23
07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
oh please.....hatin' is an art form.....you got your starry starry night, and you got your campbells soup can...

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-27-2008, 02:08 PM
ha!!! have you even glanced at the UNC Board? talk about some simple minded peasants.......sheesh....

I don't perceive the standards discussed for DBR's posting of articles to be based on what other boards permit or allow, but rather on what we think is right. As for upholding hate as an art form, what's to be admired in that sort of thinking?

moonpie23
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
i wasn't pointing out UNC's board as a model for OUR board....more as a yardstick of what REAL "simple headed peasants" said on chat boards.

and i said, "hatin'" not hate.......

look it up............sherlock

cbfx3
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM

inside carolina boards have some stuff that borders on clinically disturbed. If Duke fans acted like that I would find a new team

sagegrouse
07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with you on this. Pointing out their failings does nothing to advance our cause. It is only acting with as little class as we accuse them. It is petty.

I find the whole situation of a comprehensive rap sheet to be quite droll. The subtext is that DBR principals or close associates have been doing painstaking, scholarly work keeping track of misdeeds in the athletic program eight miles south. This is very detailed stuff and ostensibly perfectly accurate. It's sorta the nuclear weapon of "gotcha" athletics.

So, every time someone down the road even hints at slinging mud at Duke athletes, DBR drops the H bomb on them. Ah, deterrence. That's one of the things I miss about the Cold War.

This is really funny.

Anyway, the presence of a thorough data base at DBR has to deter anyone in Chapel Hill with the slightest bit of intelligence. Of course, given that reality, we have to use it now and again. (What did Slim Pickens say in Dr. Strangelove as he rode out of the B-52 on a nuclear bomb? "I'm gonna bomb those Russkies [Tarheels] if it hare lips everybody on Bear Creek [in Chapel Hill]!")

sagegrouse
'I actually did some time at the Bland Corporation [Rand Corp.], working on the beach in Santa Monica. Peter Sellers was nowhere in sight except when we felt compelled to show at lunch time, "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" or "The Mouse that Roared," another Sellers flick about a tiny country that declared war on the USA in order to lose and get foreign aid.'