PDA

View Full Version : Lewis & Asack in same backfield

Bob Green
07-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I was surfing and came across this article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1145743.html) at the News & Observer. The following comment is intriguing:

Cutcliffe might have a few tricks up his old SEC sleeve. He suggested starting quarterback Thaddeus Lewis and backup Zack Asack could play in the same backfield at times because both can run, throw and catch.

Having both QBs on the field simultaneously could open up the offense and challenge the opponent to adjust. Thoughts? Football season is just around the corner and my optimism is really starting to flow!

AtlBluRew
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
You know big changes are afoot when he makes jokes like "During spring practice I called the NCAA and asked for 5 extra days because the first 5 days looked nothing like football."

Now, will someone please reassure me that there were more than 5 days of spring practice, so I am comforted that after a while the team DID look like they were practicing football?

And I like the idea of Lewis and Asack both playing. I'm hopeful that Asack has come back to Duke wifh improved skills.

devildeac
07-20-2008, 07:33 AM
I was surfing and came across this article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1145743.html) at the News & Observer. The following comment is intriguing:

Having both QBs on the field simultaneously could open up the offense and challenge the opponent to adjust. Thoughts? Football season is just around the corner and my optimism is really starting to flow!

Bob,

I live in Raleigh and read this article first thing yesterday AM and also found the possibility of this combination very interesting. We also have the 5 star QB recruit from Arizona (I think) whose name escapes my middle-aged brain (as I have just awakened this AM) who we could play at QB for a snap or two at the same time as Thad and Zack. The play could be a pitchout to Zack who then hands off to Thad as he runs an end around play who then sets up to toss a long TD to Mr Riley who has by this time beaten his defender by 10 yards and trots into the end zone to give us a 3 TD lead. Well, maybe not quite so elaborate. Perhaps I should simply go back to sleep so I can stop dreaming of such folly. Nah, I likewise am really looking forward to August 30.

wolfpackdevil
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
yea it might not be a bad idea having both in the bfield at the same time.

I really did'nt like last year when we would switch QB's play by play

In the end I think that Thad Lewis will be the main QB.

ESPN rated Thad 3rd among ACC QB's which is really good.

And i think Thad will lead this team to 3 or 4 wins, and throw for alot of yards.

Not asack

Classof06
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with WolfpackDevil, you want to have some sort of continuity when you're trying to build a winning culture and Lewis has proven he's the guy. I'm not against Asack getting spot duty or anything, but I'd like to see Lewis in there for the majority of the snaps. I just think he's the better QB.

Then again, Cutcliffe knows a lot more about football than I do. I'll trust whatever he does.

formerdukeathlete
07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
yea it might not be a bad idea having both in the bfield at the same time.

I really did'nt like last year when we would switch QB's play by play

In the end I think that Thad Lewis will be the main QB.

ESPN rated Thad 3rd among ACC QB's which is really good.

And i think Thad will lead this team to 3 or 4 wins, and throw for alot of yards.

Not asack

Firstly, there was very little substitution at QB last season. At times, Lewis' play was really off, missing wide open guys on short routes, sacked after not reading blitz when the d backs were lining up. Asack would go in occasionally, with the predictable running play, and we would be stuffed. Later on in the season, when Roof realized, sort of, that his job was on the line, he let Asack play more, and with good effect, for example, in the Notre Dame and UNC games.

As the season went on, opposing teams learned the go to guy pass play Lewis to Eron long, and part of the problem was taking too long to get rid of the ball.

Howard Schnellenger I think more than any other coach (correct me where I am wrong) introduced the pro style offensive scheme to great effect in college. QBs get rid of the ball quickly. This was what Spurrier had us do when he was offensive coordinator and head coach. Last season Lewis just took too long to get rid of the ball, leading to sacks (as much as being caused by missed blocking assignments).

Asack clearly does not have the arm strength of Lewis. His release is no slower. He has a distinct height advantage - about 4 inches in reality, and is much swifter a foot. Last season Asack did not get to practice with the starting squad. This year (spring) he practiced with the first squad and outplayed Lewis in spring practice.

Renfree may have the best combination of arm strength, release and touch.

As they were rated coming in to Duke:

Renfree was a Parade All American and 10th overall best qb by Scout.

Lewis was 45th best overall qb by Scout.

Asack was the 35th overall qb by Scout.

I think there is a reasonable chance many will be surprised by what happens at QB for Duke this fall. This is because we will be throwing a lot more, on shorter routes. This partly explains, for example, why Asack outplayed Lewis in the Spring Game.

RepoMan
07-20-2008, 05:19 PM
The good thing is, we know one thing for sure: Cutcliffe knows quarterbacks. So, while its fun to speculate and second guess, etc., we should have a high degree of confidence that he will put the right man in the position when the season begins. Frankly, its refreshing to be able to have such confidence and to not wonder whether the coach really has the knowledge and instincts to make the right decisions with regard to that position.

BLUEDEVILS
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey , i look at it this way: Anything that can improve Duke football is fine with me.

crote
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I like this kind of thinking for a couple reasons.

One, both Asack and Lewis are talented and fairly versatile quarterbacks, and I would say after Eron Riley maybe even the two best skill position guys on the offense. It's always a good policy to keep your best talent on the field whenever possible, and playing them both at once would do just that. Arkansas had a similar dilemma over the past two seasons, its best players being running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and fullback Peyton Hillis. By playing McFadden at quarterback and rotating Jones and Hillis between the backfield, the slot, and wide out, the Hogs were able to keep their best playmakers on the field at the same time, usually to great effect. I think Duke could do something similar to this next year with Asack and Lewis.

Two, while I don't think Duke should necessarily adopt the mentality that we need to be a "gimmick" team in order to win, I do think it's fair to state that we currently suffer from a not insubstantial talent disadvantage when compared to the rest of the ACC. Formations employing both QBs would provide an usual look and give the opposition just another wrinkle to prepare for. The less ready they are for what they see on Saturdays in Wally Wade the better.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
While it's hot as Hades this July week, the first football ball game is now about six weeks away and counting. I'm really looking forward to a night game and seeing what Coach Cutcliffe and the staff roll out. How about it, guys, when do the pep rallies start?

BLUEDEVILS
07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Duke football has pep rallies? :)

Bob Green
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Duke football has pep rallies? :)

A pep rally occurs very early every Sunday morning right here in Yokosuka, Japan!