PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Knight Offered

nicktonyg22
07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Brandon Knight has been offered.

Watzone (who all of us who read DBR can't thank enough for sharing his insights and info) just informed us that Duke has also officially offered a scholarship to Brandon Knight, the #1 point guard in the 2010 class...very good news. He's a player we can't pass up on even if he is one and done. Imagine a backcourt of Knight and Boynton. Yikes. Scary good.

Thats two offers to point guards in the 2010 class in one day, and five total offers that we've given out for the '10 class, without offering a true post player. Unless we are expecting an underclassmen to leave early or are are only planning on using two scholarships in the '09 class, then we would be out of scholarships for '10 if all 5 offers for '10 were accepted and we take 3 players from the '09 class.

yancem
07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Watzone (who all of us who read DBR can't thank enough for sharing his insights and info) just informed us that Duke has also officially offered a scholarship to Brandon Knight, the #1 point guard in the 2010 class...very good news. He's a player we can't pass up on even if he is one and done. Imagine a backcourt of Knight and Boynton. Yikes. Scary good.

Thats two offers to point guards in the 2010 class in one day, and five total offers that we've given out for the '10 class, without offering a true post player. Unless we are expecting an underclassmen to leave early or are are only planning on using two scholarships in the '09 class, then we would be out of scholarships for '10 if all 5 offers for '10 were accepted and we take 3 players from the '09 class.

Is it possible that the offers to Knight and Thorton are first come first serve? I know that K has been reluctant to do this in the past but I'm not sure why we would offer both unless we now don't think that we will get Boynton or know that he only plans to attend college for one year. This also seems against K's MO.

hedgehog
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Is it possible that the offers to Knight and Thorton are first come first serve? I know that K has been reluctant to do this in the past but I'm not sure why we would offer both unless we now don't think that we will get Boynton or know that he only plans to attend college for one year. This also seems against K's MO.

While I have not talked with anyone inside the program, in response to the first question.....

No.

roywhite
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM

Hasn't Josh Smith, the big post player from Washington state, been offered also? I was thinking 6 offers, counting already committed Andre Dawkins and offers made to Harrison Barnes, Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton, Smith, and now Brandon Knight. Or I am ahead of myself/counting wrong?

Not sure how it all shakes out, but could be a terrific class.

dukeimac
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM
What is more important, to build a good program or win a title right now and then go quietly into the night? Duke or Cuse?

Knight is one and done while Tyler is at least a 3 year guy. I'm against one and dones so if they get Brandon I hope he stays longer than two years.

Scout doesn't show that Brandon has been offered and Watzone says Rivals does. I'm wondering if the Rivals site is a pay site because the Rivals site I have access to doesn't show offers just who the player is interested in.

Can someone give me a site?

hedgehog
07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Hasn't Josh Smith, the big post player from Washington state, been offered also? I was thinking 6 offers, counting already committed Andre Dawkins and offers made to Harrison Barnes, Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton, Smith, and now Brandon Knight. Or I am ahead of myself/counting wrong?

Not sure how it all shakes out, but could be a terrific class.

I don't think Josh Smith has been offered yet, making it 5 outstanding offers.

Let's say we get every recruit we target, maybe a bit pie in the sky. We would have "big" men Miles and Mason Plumlee, Olek Czyz, and Kyle Singler, and Josh Hairston.

Additionally, we have one more scholarship with only 2 offers in for 2009 kids. It could either be used for a 3rd guy in 2009 or for Josh Smith.

Alternatively, Kyle Singler could graduate in 3 years, and we could offer 3 guys in 2009 and still offer 6 in 2010.

I don't think we will have a lack of scholarships problems, nor do I think we will have a shortage of big men.

SilkyJ
07-19-2008, 03:35 PM
What is more important, to build a good program or win a title right now and then go quietly into the night? Duke or Cuse?

They aren't mutually exclusive, though. In fact, K's latest move would point to the fact that he is trying to do both. Bring in Brandon Knight and to win a title immediately his first year with he and Boynton in the backcourt, and plumlee and hopefully kyle in the frontcourt. Then if/when he leaves early, we've got Tyler Thornton right there to take his place.

CameronCrazy'11
07-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Why is everyone so certain that Knight will only be in college for one year? Has he actually said anything to that effect, or are people just assuming because he's so good? Doesn't he have a GPA over 4.0? Kyle Singler probably could have been a first round pick last year and he stayed anyway.

speedevil
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Knight is one and done while Tyler is at least a 3 year guy. I'm against one and dones so if they get Brandon I hope he stays longer than two years.

Scout doesn't show that Brandon has been offered and Watzone says Rivals does. I'm wondering if the Rivals site is a pay site because the Rivals site I have access to doesn't show offers just who the player is interested in.

Can someone give me a site?

duke already has a good program, duke has a great program, a great coach, and a great basketball environment.
it is more important to win a title right now and every year

yancem
07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Why is everyone so certain that Knight will only be in college for one year? Has he actually said anything to that effect, or are people just assuming because he's so good? Doesn't he have a GPA over 4.0? Kyle Singler probably could have been a first round pick last year and he stayed anyway.

My impression is that K won't recruit you if you already has your mind made up that you're going to declare after one season. I don't think that he necessarily shies away from potential one in done players as long as they are open seeing how things go and if they have a spectacular season then make the decision to go pro. A kid that makes the decision before he sets foot on campus is most likely going to disrupt team chemistry.

dukeballer2294
07-19-2008, 07:34 PM
My impression is that K won't recruit you if you already has your mind made up that you're going to declare after one season. I don't think that he necessarily shies away from potential one in done players as long as they are open seeing how things go and if they have a spectacular season then make the decision to go pro. A kid that makes the decision before he sets foot on campus is most likely going to disrupt team chemistry.

Coach K has said that he recruits players that have an open-mind about staying multiple years.

CameronCrazy'11
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Coach K has said that he recruits players that have an open-mind about staying multiple years.

This sounds like Brandon Knight to me. I don't think it's written in stone that he's going after one year. Even if he played well enough to, he certainly wouldn't be the first Dukie to stay when he could have gone to the NBA.

yancem
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM

How is that different than what I said?

Classof06
07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
duke already has a good program, duke has a great program, a great coach, and a great basketball environment.
it is more important to win a title right now and every year

Co-signed. The "Duke or Cuse" scenario is pretty dramatic. Cuse has missed the tournament the past two years; I just don't see that happening to Duke.

Duke's recruiting has been fine but Krzyzewski really seems to be getting aggressive with these '09 and '10 classes and I'm very happy to see that. If we land these kids and one of them happens to be a one-and-done then so be it. I want to see us playing in April again.

speedevil
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
How is that different than what I said?

does 1 and done include tranfers?

taylor king, boyton, boteng, thompson, etc.

they are all one in done or early to leave.

BLUEDEVILS
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Great things are about to fall into place for Duke Basketball, especially if Coach K brings home the gold.

GopherBlue
07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Great things are about to fall into place for Duke Basketball, especially if Coach K brings home the gold.

And if he doesn't?

skitelz
07-21-2008, 10:56 AM
than he didnt do any worse than larry brown or ol roy

bozz03
07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
A guy like Brandon Knight you don't pass up on whether he's a one and done or not, he's just too good of a player and kid.

BLUEDEVILS
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
And if he doesn't?

We would still be in okay shape, but lets just hope Coach K wins the Gold. :)

dukebb444
07-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I noticed last week that Watzone stated we had offered Knight, but in reading this article today Knight said the only school that had offered was Florida. http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829609

speedevil
07-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I noticed last week that Watzone stated we had offered Knight, but in reading this article today Knight said the only school that had offered was Florida. http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829609

he has connections to inside info

RainingThrees
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Thou darest question watzone? Such folly is nigh unforgivable!

dukebb444
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Thou darest question watzone? Such folly is nigh unforgivable!

I wouldn't do that..... especially it being my first post. I am just wandering why Knight didn't mention the Duke offer. Does he not know of the offer yet?

kydevil
07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
^ Im sure Knight would know if we had offered...

dukemomLA
07-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Brandon,

I KNOW you read this website, so "Come On Down." There is nothing like playing at Cameron & the crazies. There is nothing that rivals a Duke education. There is a support system -- academically and socially -- for you guys. (and all students). I KNOW. I'm a DUKEMOM.

So, Brandon, welcome. Can't wait to see you.

Clipsfan
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Given that the article suggests that Brandon was asked about his offers on the 22nd, Watzone's comment on the 18th about Brandon being offered seems to contradict what Brandon says. However, it's possible that the writer went off an older list/conversation from Brandon.

SupaDave
07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Brandon,

I KNOW you read this website, so "Come On Down." There is nothing like playing at Cameron & the crazies. There is nothing that rivals a Duke education. There is a support system -- academically and socially -- for you guys. (and all students). I KNOW. I'm a DUKEMOM.

So, Brandon, welcome. Can't wait to see you.

I think Florida offered him when he was like 6 years old or something and as far as reading this website - something tells me that he's a little too busy for that right now.

SilkyJ
07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I think Florida offered him when he was like 6 years old or something and as far as reading this website - something tells me that he's a little too busy for that right now.

she does it for all the recruits...or at least a bunch of 'em

SupaDave
07-24-2008, 03:49 PM
she does it for all the recruits...or at least a bunch of 'em

And for some reason I think the same thing everytime...

watzone
07-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Who you gonna trust? Not Ghostbusters. Brandon plays it close to the vest which is pretty much all I can say. Trust me, these young kids say a lot of different things to media types. Everybody wants him, so getting him could prove to be difficult. It doesn't take a lot to figure this one out if one thinks about it. BTW, I mentioned this in a post in a hasty moment. Too bad this is the only board you cannot edit. All will come out in due time.

Clipsfan
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
All will come out in due time.

It always does, which is why I'm always content to wait and see.

CameronCrazy'11
07-25-2008, 03:17 AM
scout is now reporting that he has an offer, if it means anything. This is just within the last few days.

gotham devil
03-31-2009, 02:30 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/browardboys/sfl-brandon-knight-cabrera-s0331sbmar31,0,7824489.story

Saratoga2
03-31-2009, 08:42 AM
I rechecked Scout this morning and we currently have 6 offers for 2010.

Knight, Barnes and Smith are listed with offers
Dawkins, Hairston and Thornton have made verbal commitments.

For 2010 we could have Czyz, Mason and Miles Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Singler, Smith, Williams and a 2009 pt guard (Wall?)

That assumes getting all the recruits offered and losing no one, putting us one over the limit. Chances are that we won't get all the recruits and/or possibly a player will leave early or transfer.

A 2010 team with that makeup would be heavy in freshman but would also have a stong upperclassman constituent. Very promising. Hope coach K succeeds with his recruiting.

ice-9
03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I rechecked Scout this morning and we currently have 6 offers for 2010.

Knight, Barnes and Smith are listed with offers
Dawkins, Hairston and Thornton have made verbal commitments.

For 2010 we could have Czyz, Mason and Miles Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Singler, Smith, Williams and a 2009 pt guard (Wall?)

That assumes getting all the recruits offered and losing no one, putting us one over the limit. Chances are that we won't get all the recruits and/or possibly a player will leave early or transfer.

A 2010 team with that makeup would be heavy in freshman but would also have a stong upperclassman constituent. Very promising. Hope coach K succeeds with his recruiting.

Is Curry in your above analysis?

Among the 2010 uncommitted recruits, Smith is highly unlikely and Knight is a distant possibility right? Plus you figure someone will transfer out due to a lack of playing time, we should be OK with the scholly situation.

chrisheery
03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
I believe we have also offered Kyrie Iring. Right?

yancem
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/browardboys/sfl-brandon-knight-cabrera-s0331sbmar31,0,7824489.story

I found it interesting that Knight is wining the Gatorade national player of the year award as a junior (only the 3rd player to do so, hello LeBron and Oden) yet he isn't even the #1 recruit in his class, at least according the major recruiting services. I have no doubt that he is a truly great basketball player, but I think that is weird.

Saratoga2
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Is Curry in your above analysis?

Among the 2010 uncommitted recruits, Smith is highly unlikely and Knight is a distant possibility right? Plus you figure someone will transfer out due to a lack of playing time, we should be OK with the scholly situation.

You point out a big miss. Curry is definitely a big player, which puts us potentially to a total of 14 scholarships for 2010. Coach K must either not expect another recruit for 2009 or have two he that I listed to leave by 2010.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
I believe we have also offered Kyrie Iring. Right?

I posted a run-down of Duke's scholarship situation in another thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15497).

In 2009 we'll spend somewhere between 10 and 13 scholarships, depending on G, Wall, and Bledsoe.

In 2010 we lose Jon, Z, Lance, and G. Kyle may also jump and whatever he decides Wall won't be here for his sophomore season. We're adding Dawkins, Hairston, and Thornton for certain. We've also offered Barnes, Knight, and Irving (and Smith, but he ain't coming). I'm assuming Bledsoe and Irving are either/or for us now that Curry is here. We'd have a scholarship crunch if Bledsoe comes, Kyle stays, and Knight comes as well. Obviously that's a great problem to have and I assume we'd encourage someone (either Czyz or Hairston/Thornton) to redshirt for a season.

Maxwell1977
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
I posted a run-down of Duke's scholarship situation in another thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15497).

In 2009 we'll spend somewhere between 10 and 13 scholarships, depending on G, Wall, and Bledsoe.

In 2010 we lose Jon, Z, Lance, and G. Kyle may also jump and whatever he decides Wall won't be here for his sophomore season. We're adding Dawkins, Hairston, and Thornton for certain. We've also offered Barnes, Knight, and Irving (and Smith, but he ain't coming). I'm assuming Bledsoe and Irving are either/or for us now that Curry is here. We'd have a scholarship crunch if Bledsoe comes, Kyle stays, and Knight comes as well. Obviously that's a great problem to have and I assume we'd encourage someone (either Czyz or Hairston/Thornton) to redshirt for a season.

Doesn't Curry count next year, even tho he's ineligible? Someone may redshirt, but they will still count, unless they pay their own way.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
We'd have a scholarship crunch if Bledsoe comes, Kyle stays, and Knight comes as well. Obviously that's a great problem to have and I assume we'd encourage someone (either Czyz or Hairston/Thornton) to redshirt for a season.
Redshirting doesn't affect your scholarship limitations (13), so that is not a solution to the "problem" you pose.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Redshirting doesn't affect your scholarship limitations (13), so that is not a solution to the "problem" you pose.

D'oh, you're both right. That'll teach me to post before my coffee. :)

I guess we'd have to start dropping/rescinding offers then, though I'd hate to do that. Honestly, I think we're talking about fairly unlikely situations here but an upcoming scholarship crunch might persuade Kyle to jump early or a player like Czyz may see the writing on the wall and transfer.

I suppose that means one of G, Wall, and Blesdoe won't be here next year.

Then in 2010 assume either Kyle or Olek jumps along with our graduating class (and Wall if he's here).

Sr: Smith, Singler?
Jr: Plumlee, Email, Czyz?
So: Kelly, Plumlee, Curry, Bledsoe?
Fr: Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton, Barnes?, Knight?, Irving?

That's 15, so lose Kyle/Olek and one of Bledsoe/Knight/Irving (or both Kyle and Olek or 2 of the unsigned PG's, etc.) and we're fine. As I say, these are fairly unlikely situations (how often to you sign everyone you offer?) and would be really great problems to have.

Lauderdevil
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
As a previous post noted via link, Knight was just named Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year, the third junior to be so named. (Not sure what happened to the previous two, guys named LeBron James and Greg Oden.)

Note also the last paragraph from the below report from his school's newsletter, citing his 4.28 GPA (meaning he's taking Honors classes to bring his GPA above 4.0) at arguably the top academic high school in South Florida, and also his volunteer work.

That's quite a package.

Brandon Knight Named Nation's Top High School Basketball Player

Pine Crest junior Brandon Knight was named the Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year in a ceremony this morning on the Fort Lauderdale campus. In its third decade of honoring the country's top high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in partnership with ESPN RISE Magazine, presented Brandon with an impressive trophy and an invitation for him and his family to be guests at this year's ESPY Awards in Hollywood, CA. As a result of his accomplishment, Brandon is now a finalist for the Gatorade Male High School Athlete of the Year Award which will be announced just prior to the ESPY Awards. To read more about Brandon in the local media, click here for the Sun-Sentinel article, or here for the Miami Herald piece.

In being named the nation's top high school basketball player, Brandon follows only two other individuals in the sport who received this prestigious award as juniors: Cleveland Cavalier and five-time NBA All-Star Lebron James (2001-02) and Portland Trailblazer Greg Oden (2004-05).

Last week, Gatorade and RISE Magazine announced that Brandon was selected as Florida's Boys Basketball Player of the Year, making him a semifinalist for the national award. Brandon recently led our Panthers to their second consecutive Class 3A state title, averaging 31.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, and three steals per game this season. In the team's 60-44 win over Jones High School in the state final, he scored 27 points, hauled in nine rebounds, and added four assists.

An exemplary student, Brandon has maintained a 4.28 GPA in the classroom and is also a devoted parishioner and youth group leader at the New Art Covenant Church. He has served as a peer tutor at Pine Crest while volunteering hundreds of year-round hours coaching and instructing at area youth basketball camps and clinics, as well as informally in his community. Pine Crest congratulates Brandon and all of our state champions!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM
arguably the top academic high school in South Florida,

Pine Crest junior Brandon Knight
Pine Crest has a long history of its students matriculating at Duke. Including me! :D

dgoore97
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
and i'll say it again. knight is the exact kind of player duke is looking for (and potentially duke the exact kind of institution he is looking for), even if just for one year...

Traveldude50
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Pine Crest has a long history of its students matriculating at Duke. Including me! :D

a few more joining the blue devil family next year. Hopefully Bknight the year after.

But today at the assembly/award ceremony they basicly said that his academic excellence set him apart from the other candidates who are all excellent basketball players

Indoor66
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Go do your thang in Fort Lauderdale, Oz! :D

gotham devil
04-01-2009, 04:42 AM
a few more joining the blue devil family next year. Hopefully Bknight the year after.

But today at the assembly/award ceremony they basicly said that his academic excellence set him apart from the other candidates who are all excellent basketball players

Hopefully, academics will play a legitimate role in Knight's ultimate decision.

Is there any early word or buzz at Pine Crest?

Traveldude50
04-01-2009, 07:24 AM
as everyones said here, he plays it close to the vest. He's not one of those kids out to get attention. He's quiet so im sure whatever i hear will be heard by everyone else

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Go do your thang in Fort Lauderdale, Oz! :D
Um, NO! :eek: That would be a HUGE recruiting violation and there is no way I am going to go anywhere near him. He's a very smart kid from what I'm reading. He'll figure it out for himself! And the basketball staff will help him make his decision far better than I could.

Coballs
04-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Although the recruiting focus is clearly on Wall right now, let's not forget that we are still in the hunt for the #1 PG in the 2010 class. Anyone who assumes that Brandon Knight is a lock for Florida should read this article:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_clause/2009/04/signing-pg-brandon-knight-critical-to-the-future-success-of-the-florida-gators.html

Knight and Duke would be a perfect match. This article renewed my hope that we can land him.

BD80
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Although the recruiting focus is clearly on Wall right now, let's not forget that we are still in the hunt for the #1 PG in the 2010 class. Anyone who assumes that Brandon Knight is a lock for Florida should read this article:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_clause/2009/04/signing-pg-brandon-knight-critical-to-the-future-success-of-the-florida-gators.html

Knight and Duke would be a perfect match. This article renewed my hope that we can land him.

It lists us with uCon and Syracuse. I would love to see this young man at Duke, he is someone we could be very proud of. But if not Duke, 'Cuse would be a good place for him. I have developed a lot of respect for Boeheim. But uCon? Please don't have a such good kid end up there! Maybe the recent recruiting scandal will let him see what uCon is really about.

Icarus09
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator...da-gators.html

For what it's worth, some of the comments below the blog question the reliability of the information. A few pointed out that the source of the blog, Team Breakdown coach Tony Gillion, might not be impartial since Knight is leaving Breakdown for a new AAU team.

Icarus09
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/974419.html

Here's a quick read on AAU coaches being handlers, talking about Boynton, Knight, and Gillion. I think it's interesting that one doesn't need any basketball experience to coach AAU.

Kewlswim
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Um, NO! :eek: That would be a HUGE recruiting violation and there is no way I am going to go anywhere near him. He's a very smart kid from what I'm reading. He'll figure it out for himself! And the basketball staff will help him make his decision far better than I could.

Hi Mr. Ozzie,

Would it be a huge recruiting violation if you went to a game and said to a kid, "Enjoyed the game am an alum from this here high school; I went to Duke; I think you would enjoy it there too?" Just curious. Perhaps that is. I won't be going to High School games until my nephew starts playing in a year or two, then I will be going to a game or two. He loves Duke, but unfortunately he has no chance of playing for Coach K, though he is enamored with the idea of being a Crazy like his favorite uncle (I have no idea if I am his favorite uncle, he has a bunch to choose from.). :D

GO DUKE!

-jk
04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
From our FAQ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=205515&postcount=5), which links to Duke's Fans, Friends & Alumni Compliance Information (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797):

Only coaches and authorized athletic staff members may participate in recruiting activities.

DON’T call or write letters to a prospect.
DON’T initiate contact with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives.
DON’T visit a prospect’s educational institution.
DON’T contact a prospect's coach, principal, or counselor.
DON’T provide gifts.
DON’T arrange employment.

DON'T be stupid! Please!

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Um, NO! :eek: That would be a HUGE recruiting violation and there is no way I am going to go anywhere near him.

Hi Mr. Ozzie,

Would it be a huge recruiting violation if you went to a game and said to a kid, "Enjoyed the game am an alum from this here high school; I went to Duke; I think you would enjoy it there too?" Just curious.

From our FAQ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=205515&postcount=5), which links to Duke's Fans, Friends & Alumni Compliance Information (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797):

Only coaches and authorized athletic staff members may participate in recruiting activities.

DON’T provide gifts.

DON'T be stupid! Please!

-jk
I stand by my original response because I've seen the information provided by -jk, which is mailed to EVERY Iron Duke member each year. I'll root for him from afar, and up close if he comes to Duke! :cool:

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-04-2009, 05:48 PM

That was always the thought that ran through my head as well...

Why would Knight go to UF when Boynton is there? It just doesn't make sense for him...

It is one or the other for Donovon....He got Boynton, so Knight is probably going somewhere else...

formerdukeathlete
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
i am a big fan of brandon knight, when compared with kenny boynton. seen both play. brandon knight looks all acc - now. Hopefully academics play a part in his decision - that + K and it should be Duke all the way.

Newton_14
04-04-2009, 08:04 PM
i am a big fan of brandon knight, when compared with kenny boynton. seen both play. brandon knight looks all acc - now. Hopefully academics play a part in his decision - that + K and it should be Duke all the way.

Could not agree more. After reading the full resume on Knight earlier this week, I could not have been more impressed. He is just one of those once in a lifetime kids. Great player, great student, hard worker in the community and at his church, I was wondering if he was running for office or something! Very impressive.

Would be really nice to see him in Duke Blue. I hope the article is correct and it is Duke, Cuse, or Conns. I like our chances if that is true.

roywhite
04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Could not agree more. After reading the full resume on Knight earlier this week, I could not have been more impressed. He is just one of those once in a lifetime kids. Great player, great student, hard worker in the community and at his church, I was wondering if he was running for office or something! Very impressive.

Would be really nice to see him in Duke Blue. I hope the article is correct and it is Duke, Cuse, or Conns. I like our chances if that is true.

Great kid, but I'm not sure he's one of a kind. Have you heard and read much about Harrison Barnes?

After great careers at Duke and in the NBA, both Knight and Barnes will go on to important positions in the Battier administration. :)

chrisheery
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Great kid, but I'm not sure he's one of a kind. Have you heard and read much about Harrison Barnes?

After great careers at Duke and in the NBA, both Knight and Barnes will go on to important positions in the Battier administration. :)

This might be my favorite post of all time. Really exemplifies the difference between Duke and every other top tier program (now that Stanford isn't top tier anymore).

Newton_14
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Have not read much about Barnes other than his great skills on the court. If his resume reads similar to Knight's then wow! Let's get both of these future cabinet members in uniform!

roywhite
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
This might be my favorite post of all time. Really exemplifies the difference between Duke and every other top tier program (now that Stanford isn't top tier anymore).

Thanks, Chris, but they're not in the bag yet. Sure would like to see both of them come to Duke. They are outstanding players and high quality young men.

chrisheery
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Chris, but they're not in the bag yet. Sure would like to see both of them come to Duke. They are outstanding players and high quality young men.

Not sure but I don't think I said anything to indicate that I thought they were "in the bag". That said, if ever there was a player perfect for Duke, it is Harrison Barnes. He even said he wants to be an econ major.

Icarus09
04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-brandonknightgallery,0,1343587.photogallery

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/broward/wsfl-brandon-knight-youtube,0,1135337.htmlstory

Not sure if these have been posted before but I thought I would provide the links. These are both from South Florida's newspaper that covers Pinecrest. The first link is a photo gallery and the second is a highlight reel.

dukejunkie
04-05-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-brandonknightgallery,0,1343587.photogallery

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/broward/wsfl-brandon-knight-youtube,0,1135337.htmlstory

Not sure if these have been posted before but I thought I would provide the links. These are both from South Florida's newspaper that covers Pinecrest. The first link is a photo gallery and the second is a highlight reel.

From the video it seems he's looking to shoot first. Is he going to be like J. Williams? They called him a PG but Duhon was really the PG.

SupaDave
04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
From the video it seems he's looking to shoot first. Is he going to be like J. Williams? They called him a PG but Duhon was really the PG.

Actually that's precisely how Coach K expects to use Wall...

Icarus09
04-05-2009, 02:19 PM

There seems to be a consensus that he's a PG. He is, without a doubt, the best person on his high school team so I'm not surprised that he took a shoot-first approach. I think it would be more telling if we had footage of him with his AAU team or in some sort of national invitational. When he was playing with Boynton on Team Breakdown I can't imagine he would solely have a shoot-first approach.

Dukebasketball32
04-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Brandon really looks like a great kid and i would be absolutely ecstatic to see him doning Duke blue next year. I really really like our chances of landing this one.

Coballs
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Brandon really looks like a great kid and i would be absolutely ecstatic to see him doning Duke blue next year. I really really like our chances of landing this one.

No doubt, he'd be a team-changing addition. But he wouldn't arrive for two years (2010-2011).

Icarus09
04-05-2009, 04:59 PM
No doubt, he'd be a team-changing addition. But he wouldn't arrive for two years (2010-2011).

We can't really do anything more than we're already doing to address the PG situation. Hopefully either Wall or Bledsoe (or both) will commit to play next year so we have a legitimate point guard for at least a year. We have Thorton secured for the same year as Knight so it looks like we're trying to create a situation where we have at least two PGs on the roster.

Traveldude50
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
he hasnt "officially" given a list to anyone but to give everyone an idea of the schools recruiting him currently

Tuesday Afternoon these head coaches were at Pine Crest watching Brandon workout.

Bill Self
Billy Donovan
Leonard Hamilton
Jim Calhoun
Jim Boeheim

And to clarify he is definatly a point gaurd but is by far the best player on his HS team so he also carries the scoring load because no one else can create for themselves.

NSDukeFan
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
So, if BK wants to cause a lot of stress on this board, he should just wait until May-June next year to make a decision, keeping Duke on his list. If that is the case, this thread has the potential to challenge John Wall's record long thread. How many times will the sky be falling in this thread? Can I already add another K has lost it as a recruiter and shouldn't use the bathroom at a particular time and miss the chance to wave to him because that may possibly cause this recruit to think twice about going to Duke?
I think for the sanity of the board, he and Barnes should decide to go to Duke early and make 2010 one of the best recruiting classes ever. I wonder if the sanity of this board is playing greatly on their decisions?

NYDukie
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
he hasnt "officially" given a list to anyone but to give everyone an idea of the schools recruiting him currently

Tuesday Afternoon these head coaches were at Pine Crest watching Brandon workout.

Bill Self
Billy Donovan
Leonard Hamilton
Jim Calhoun
Jim Boeheim

And to clarify he is definatly a point gaurd but is by far the best player on his HS team so he also carries the scoring load because no one else can create for themselves.

Just want to get in early on this thread before it before it becomes Wall like in the next few months as to whom I think will be the leaders to land BK. This is purely my own opinion based on my readings with no purported inside information as I do not want to cause any rumor mongering. Please feel free to give your thoughts!!!

1a - Duke (my feeling here is that BK will be given the keys to Benz so to speak, and the lure to lead a ballyhooed recruiting class with awesome returness (Singler maybe?) to a NC maybe too tough to pass up. Plus the Coach K Olympic angle and Duke academics may play a big part to him)
1b - Florida (Close to home may be an advantage and form dynamic backcourt w/ Boynton, maybe not. Also, Billy the Kid is the slick salesman)
2 - Kansas (My personal darkhorse as Self is starting to get KU stepping up another notch here. Collins will be leaving and they will have many good parts still there and BK will be handed the keys here too)
3 - UNC (2 NC's in the past 4 year's, PGs flourish in Roy's system and on TV a ton just like our Dukies)
4 - the field (no one else I feel has the characteristics the above have and I would be shocked if BK goes outside my top 4)

rotogod00
04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Not news per se, but according to Rivals, Knight recently met with with Calipari:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=940928&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Could he get Wall in '09 and Knight in '10?

roywhite
04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
So, if BK wants to cause a lot of stress on this board, he should just wait until May-June next year to make a decision, keeping Duke on his list. If that is the case, this thread has the potential to challenge John Wall's record long thread. How many times will the sky be falling in this thread? Can I already add another K has lost it as a recruiter and shouldn't use the bathroom at a particular time and miss the chance to wave to him because that may possibly cause this recruit to think twice about going to Duke? I think for the sanity of the board, he and Barnes should decide to go to Duke early and make 2010 one of the best recruiting classes ever. I wonder if the sanity of this board is playing greatly on their decisions?

You may be right, but I don't think Knight is as controversial a target as Wall due to Knight's excellent academic profile, and not as much talk about "one-and-done".

Sobriquet
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
You may be right, but I don't think Knight is as controversial a target as Wall due to Knight's excellent academic profile, and not as much talk about "one-and-done".

Even though his talent puts him in that One-and-done bracket. That talk hasn't started yet, but if he has some more good tourney's this summer, that talk will be a roar.

Knight is every bit as likely to be one-and-done as Wall. Let's not kid ourselves. He fits the Duke profile to a T, but his ability means that anything more than a year is school is a gift from the gods.

blueprofessor
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
A month ago,the late Dr. Mae McMillan, founder of Pine Crest, Florida's most outstanding school, was selected as Florida's 38th Great Floridian.
I had a chance, since I nominated her, to chat informally about B Knight and where he may play in college with some Pine Crest folks at the ceremony in Tallahassee and on the phone in Ft. L. I did not state my preference.
Because of its academic standing, Duke is the heavy favorite for BK among many teachers and admins.They see Duke as the logical place. This is a great school(top 3 pub or private in SE US) and it is not uncommon for them to have more National Merit finalists than any two combined of the nationally acclaimed prep schools and put students who rank only in the top 20% of the class into the top rung Ivies.This spirit of seeking academic excellence in college permeates the student body.Knight is aware that Duke is highly revered at Pine Crest.
I have no idea of what may turn the worm re his choice, but Duke does have allies among those who have nurtured BK's schooling.:)
The impression I got was that he is an exceptional person and that educational advice- input is coming from PCS.

Best--Blue Prof

SilkyJ
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
A month ago,the late Dr. Mae McMillan, founder of Pine Crest, Florida's most outstanding school, was selected as Florida's 38th Great Floridian.
I had a chance, since I nominated her, to chat informally about B Knight and where he may play in college with some Pine Crest folks at the ceremony in Tallahassee and on the phone in Ft. L. I did not state my preference.
Because of its academic standing, Duke is the heavy favorite for BK among many teachers and admins.They see Duke as the logical place. This is a great school(top 3 pub or private in SE US) and it is not uncommon for them to have more National Merit finalists than any two combined of the nationally acclaimed prep schools and put students who rank only in the top 20% of the class into the top rung Ivies.This spirit of seeking academic excellence in college permeates the student body.Knight is aware that Duke is highly revered at Pine Crest.
I have no idea of what may turn the worm re his choice, but Duke does have allies among those who have nurtured BK's schooling.:)
The impression I got was that he is an exceptional person and that educational advice- input is coming from PCS.

Best--Blue Prof

What will be interesting, imo, is that his talent likely means he will head to the NBA early, be it after 1 or 2, MAYBE 3 years, so then how do academics really weigh in if he isn't really pursuing a degree? Sure he can always come back, but how many one-and-doners come back to finish their degree? How many super sophs that leave come back? I just think that as he starts to analyze it, if he reaches the conclusion that he will likely only stay 1-2 years in college the academic advantage we have may be null and void. Not that this is anything groundbreaking...

ArnieMc
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
What will be interesting, imo, is that his talent likely means he will head to the NBA early, be it after 1 or 2, MAYBE 3 years, so then how do academics really weigh in if he isn't really pursuing a degree? Sure he can always come back, but how many one-and-doners come back to finish their degree? How many super sophs that leave come back? I just think that as he starts to analyze it, if he reaches the conclusion that he will likely only stay 1-2 years in college the academic advantage we have may be null and void. Not that this is anything groundbreaking...I disagree. Even one year of good academics is better than none. You can learn a lot from a good selection of freshman courses. Also, although attending Duke does not carry the cachet that a Duke degree does, it may be better than a degree from some schools.

SilkyJ
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I disagree. Even one year of good academics is better than none. You can learn a lot from a good selection of freshman courses. Also, although attending Duke does not carry the cachet that a Duke degree does, it may be better than a degree from some schools.

I agree with your statement, but don't you think that when put in the context of BK pursuing a CAREER in the NBA that the other variables such as playing time, role, cohesiveness with teammates, etc etc will carry much more weight than the academics given only a one-two year stint in college? (i acknowledge that the 1-2 yr stint in college is an assumption, but its seems to be a reasonable one)

blueprofessor
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
It is positive that people who have advised him for years---people with whom he is familiar---- want him to go to a top school.
Counselors and teachers can have a lot of influence on the player's family.
Family members and PCS folks do not want him to lose the money he makes. Duke coaches and players project qualities that parents and school teachers and coaches want their kids to emulate.
The more constructive the advice in the premises, the better for Duke's prospects.:)

Best--Blue Prof

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
i've talked to bk personally and although he gave me the " i don't know yet" speech i got a hint that he wanted to go to duke not sure but just have a good feeling although he may go to fl because of his teamate and friend kenny b

Newton_14
04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
i've talked to bk personally and although he gave me the " i don't know yet" speech i got a hint that he wanted to go to duke not sure but just have a good feeling although he may go to fl because of his teamate and friend kenny b

Talking to recruits is a big NO NO. Very bad idea. It is also against NCAA rules. Not trying to bust your chops but it is really best to not talk to them at all or to say nothing beyond hello.

Oriole Way
04-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Talking to recruits is a big NO NO. Very bad idea. It is also against NCAA rules. Not trying to bust your chops but it is really best to not talk to them at all or to say nothing beyond hello.

As long as he's not a coach associated with a university, there's no rule that states a fan can't talk to a player. Obviously, giving a recruit gifts or perks of any kind is wrong, but he was just talking to him. There's nothing wrong with that.

Newton_14
04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
As long as he's not a coach associated with a university, there's no rule that states a fan can't talk to a player. Obviously, giving a recruit gifts or perks of any kind is wrong, but he was just talking to him. There's nothing wrong with that.

The link below spells it out pretty clearly.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797

Following is a couple of the highlights:
DEFINITIONS

Prospective Student Athlete or “Prospect”

A prospect is a student who has started the ninth grade. A student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospect if the institution provides the individual with financial assistance or other benefits not provided to prospective students generally. In addition, the individual remains a prospect until he/she has enrolled in full-time classes.

Contact

Any face to face encounter with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives in which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of greeting.
Recruiting

Any solicitation of a prospect or a prospect’s relatives for the purpose of securing the prospect’s enrollment and ultimate participation in Duke’s athletic program.

kramerbr
04-30-2009, 09:07 PM
The link below spells it out pretty clearly.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797

Following is a couple of the highlights:
DEFINITIONS

Prospective Student Athlete or “Prospect”

A prospect is a student who has started the ninth grade. A student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospect if the institution provides the individual with financial assistance or other benefits not provided to prospective students generally. In addition, the individual remains a prospect until he/she has enrolled in full-time classes.

Contact

Any face to face encounter with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives in which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of greeting.
Recruiting

Any solicitation of a prospect or a prospect’s relatives for the purpose of securing the prospect’s enrollment and ultimate participation in Duke’s athletic program.

That doesn't mean someone can't talk to a recruit. Look at all of these recruiting services that talk to recruits all the time.

-jk
04-30-2009, 10:06 PM
What Boozer said, and from our FAQ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=205515&postcount=5):

Some of you have suggested contacting recruits. Don't!

Please see Duke's Fans, Friends & Alumni Compliance Information (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1515167&SPID=2387&SPID=106797), but in case you don't go there, here's the relevant point:

DON’T initiate contact with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives. You may be cordial to a prospect if incidental contact occurs, but immediately remove yourself from any further contact.

A few highlights:

DON’T provide gifts.

You may notify the Duke coaching staff of outstanding prospects in the area.

regards,

-jk

Traveldude50
04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
so i go 2 his school, if i want 2 ask him for help in math, i may be jailed? :D

roywhite
04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
so i go 2 his school, if i want 2 ask him for help in math, i may be jailed? :D

Help in math, and maybe English composition also? :)

dgoore97
06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I would love to get BK for Duke. Whenever I see him, i wonder if K is going to make him cut off his braids. Will that be a sticking point for a 17 year old kid? if K allows it, isn't that a change of course vs his treatment of LT who had them in HS? Unless it was LT's own choice, it would seem that K will have to be consistent.

I hope it doesn't make BK look elsewhere, when Duke would be a perfect place for him...

COYS
06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I would love to get BK for Duke. Whenever I see him, i wonder if K is going to make him cut off his braids. Will that be a sticking point for a 17 year old kid? if K allows it, isn't that a change of course vs his treatment of LT who had them in HS? Unless it was LT's own choice, it would seem that K will have to be consistent.

I hope it doesn't make BK look elsewhere, when Duke would be a perfect place for him...

I think that if his braids are a deciding factor in his school choice, then he might not be quite the perfect fit. I wouldn't worry about the braids thing.

SupaDave
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I think that if his braids are a deciding factor in his school choice, then he might not be quite the perfect fit. I wouldn't worry about the braids thing.

Not to mention - they grow back.

COYS
06-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Not to mention - they grow back.

Depending on your age, I guess ;)

gotham devil
06-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Kyle Singler also had a quality head of hair, before he arrived in Durham. Whether it was due to peer pressure due to some sort of West Point/team unity thing or a spoken (or unspoken) request, my sister was disappointed to see Kyle Singler shave his head.

The barbers in Durham must love the weekly haircuts. I think Dunleavy was the last player to have the audacity to have hair longer than an inch. ;)

I've been surprised that the Chronicle hasn't looked into this "issue."
For the younger fans, even Jay Bilas had locks at Duke.;)

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/010206/images/lg_86starters.jpg

vango
06-18-2009, 04:41 PM
The last one I remember was Lance "Predator" Thomas

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=1113084

Indoor66
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
How about Kenny Dennard's permed head?

Greg_Newton
06-18-2009, 10:22 PM
...Lance "Predator" Thomas...[/url]

That's hilarious. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that picture.

...until I scrolled down and saw the scouting report for the 6'9 combo forward whose greatest weakness was "could be more consistent from behind the arc". Sigh...

gotham devil
06-27-2009, 09:20 PM
http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2009/06/knight-takes-unofficial-to-uco.html

slower
07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
According to the linked article ("Barnes Speculation!" by Gary Parrish) on the home page, it sounds like a done deal.

NSDukeFan
07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
According to the linked article ("Barnes Speculation!" by Gary Parrish) on the home page, it sounds like a done deal.

I think he said that is where the smart money is, meaning they are the favorite. At least, that is my impression. I don't know how much I trust him anyway. I don't by any means think Duke is the favorite for BK, but I haven't given up hope. I guess this also means that there is a possibility he will be leaving Florida.

slower
07-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I think he said that is where the smart money is, meaning they are the favorite. At least, that is my impression. I don't know how much I trust him anyway. I don't by any means think Duke is the favorite for BK, but I haven't given up hope. I guess this also means that there is a possibility he will be leaving Florida.

"As for Knight, the smart money (and even the dumb money) is on Kentucky."

That's a much stronger implication. I hope that he's wrong, but it's not improbable that Calipari could stay on a roll for a while. And if UK somehow happens to win it all this year (I know, I know - unlikely), watch out. I wonder how much time Worldwide Wes will be spending in Lexington.

Chicago 1995
07-07-2009, 09:26 AM

That's a much stronger implication. I hope that he's wrong, but it's not improbable that Calipari could stay on a roll for a while. And if UK somehow happens to win it all this year (I know, I know - unlikely), watch out. I wonder how much time Worldwide Wes will be spending in Lexington.

Why wouldn't we think Calipari will stay on a roll? He was near the top of the recruiting game at Memphis, and Kentucky's a more attractive place for him to sell to recruits, with no more expectations than Memphis about the obligations of the student-athlete. Short of NCAA sanctions, and as much as we'd all like to think that's a possibility, we should know better knowing how impotent the NCAA is, why would we not expect Kentucky to land top five classes yearly going forward?

airowe
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM

...And how much time Eric Bledsoe will spend keeping the bench warm.

superdave
07-07-2009, 09:29 AM
At some point, the NCAA has to catch up with Calipari, right? He cannot just walk away from violations repeatedly. And the scholarship crunch is going to scare a lot of recruits away.

But hey, better Knight to Kentucky than UNC.

slower
07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Why wouldn't we think Calipari will stay on a roll? He was near the top of the recruiting game at Memphis, and Kentucky's a more attractive place for him to sell to recruits, with no more expectations than Memphis about the obligations of the student-athlete. Short of NCAA sanctions, and as much as we'd all like to think that's a possibility, we should know better knowing how impotent the NCAA is, why would we not expect Kentucky to land top five classes yearly going forward?

that Calipari has never been at the pinnacle, recruiting-wise. He hasn't (until this year) brought in super recruiting classes to rival the Fab Five, Brand/Battier/etc, Felton/McCants/May or other top-level recruiting classes that Duke and UNC have landed. I think it's still up in the air as to whether he will be able to maintain that level. But, as we have seen, these things can run in cycles. And who knows whether his current Wall/Bledsoe/Orton/etc class will live up to the hype. Wasn't UCLA's Holiday/Gordon/Lee/Anderson class supposed to do great things? So, you never know.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Pine Crest has a long history of sending its graduates to Duke! ;):cool::D

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
BK happens to be a DUKE fan but idk how big of one and this Calipari guy is starting to piss me off

Indoor66
07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Pine Crest has a long history of sending its graduates to Duke! ;):cool::D

You are a HUGE homer!! :D

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I think it's really a two way race between Duke and Florida

Bsim412
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Kentucky is in there too

ChicagoCrazy84
07-11-2009, 12:54 AM
BK happens to be a DUKE fan but idk how big of one and this Calipari guy is starting to piss me off

Starting to? Calipari has been pissing me off since 2001. Whenever Calipari is in the news or a Calipari recruit is in the news, I have to migrate to the ESPN comment page so I don't get in trouble for my posts.

gotham devil
08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/23/brandon-knight-has-top-five/

DevilCastDownfromDurham
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, I guess that settles that. I assume the staff saw something they didn't like which is why they have backed off so much in the last few months. Sounds like Irving/McCallum or bust. Hope this is a good sign regarding Kyrie.

rotogod00
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, I guess that settles that. I assume the staff saw something they didn't like which is why they have backed off so much in the last few months. Sounds like Irving/McCallum or bust. Hope this is a good sign regarding Kyrie.

It better be ;-)

Bud
08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
BK will not be spending his one year of college at Duke.

Duke79UNLV77
08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
that we didn't make the final 5 of a 4.0 student we've been recruiting for a couple of years. he seemed like he would have been a great fit. depending on what happens with Irving, this will either be a big deal or soon forgotten.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2009, 10:01 PM
that we didn't make the final 5 of a 4.0 student we've been recruiting for a couple of years. he seemed like he would have been a great fit. depending on what happens with Irving, this will either be a big deal or soon forgotten.
Like I've said before, lots of Pine Crest students go to Duke most years. I'm sorry that BK won't be one of them.

chrisheery
08-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I hope it was a conscious decision by our staff to let this guy go based on something they know that we don't, but I've tricked myself into thinking positively like that before to be let down. He just seemed to be a perfect fit for us. His school choices are a bit surprising to me. Maybe that is an indicator of the things we don't know?

As stated by others, I hope we are pursuing as many other options for point guards as we can handle right now. Duke without a stud point guard just isn't right.

Reddevil
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Just kidding, but he and Duke did seem like a good match. Next play. Hopefully Barnes and Irving will have a long talk, and decide that Duke is where they will make their mark.

airowe
08-25-2009, 09:47 AM
New list includes Duke!

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/25/brandon-knight-has-longer-list/

ice-9
08-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Looks like Duke is on the backup list.

I say go Kyrie!

gotham devil
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM

I say go Kyrie!

Or Dustin Rumbaugh, a rabid Kentucky fan, left it out

yancem
08-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I say go Kyrie!

I would love to have Irving sign with Duke but I am starting to feel more and more that if we miss on Barnes we will also miss on Irving. He really seems to like Indiana but I think he would also like to play with Barnes, which is why Duke is still high on his list.

I think that Knight would be a good fit for Duke and there isn't any reason that I am aware of to not continue recruiting him, if he has interest. My feeling is that the reasons we have decided to make Irving our top pg choice lies with his friendship with Barnes and that there is a significantly better chance that he will make a decision this fall, where as I am betting that Knight waits until late next spring.

I really think that K would like to wrap up recruiting for 2010 as soon as possible so that he can get a head start on 2011 before his Olympic commitment really starts kicking in.

BD80
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
New list includes Duke!

Great. Just great.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin!

Why aren't we doing a better job of recruiting BK? He was clearly interested in us and is a top-flight student!

If he doesn't think enough of us to list us in his first five, he isn't coming here.

Please let us not question Coach K's recruiting efforts, choices, or abilities. BK is a great player and a great student who will be playing one year of college ball somewhere other than Duke. If he changes his mind, great, but let's stop obsessing over a kid who won't be here.

Obsessing over Kyrie and Harrison, well, that's a different issue :rolleyes:

Greg_Newton
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
New list includes Duke!

Probably not the right thread for this, but wasn't sure if he deserved his own yet... anyone heard anything about us recruiting Sterling Gibbs? This is from lower down on the blog entry.

GIBBS WORKING ON DUKE VISIT

Charles also said that 6-foot junior point guard Sterling Gibbs of Seton Hall Prep is working on setting up an unofficial visit to Duke.

“No date has been set yet,” Charles said.

BD80
09-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Two "reliable sources" indicate that Kentucky is close to picking up a commitment from 2010 PG Brandon Knight.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/09/oh-what-knight-cats-closing-in-on-2010.html

This was reported on Monday, and would tend to hurt UK's chances with (or interest in) Kyrie, further adding credibility to the speculation that we may soon get some good news!

FireOgilvie
09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Two "reliable sources" indicate that Kentucky is close to picking up a commitment from 2010 PG Brandon Knight.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/09/oh-what-knight-cats-closing-in-on-2010.html

This was reported on Monday, and would tend to hurt UK's chances with (or interest in) Kyrie, further adding credibility to the speculation that we may soon get some good news!

I wonder how Eric Bledsoe feels about this; he's never going to get any PT. Also, I know Kyrie has said he wants to put himself in a position to get a lot of playing time, but with Bledsoe there, I don't think that would happen (if Kyrie went to UK instead of Knight).

I think Kyrie is a better fit for Duke's playing style than Kentucky. I think Knight probably works better with Kentucky than Duke.

houstondukie
09-19-2009, 03:44 AM
I wonder how Eric Bledsoe feels about this; he's never going to get any PT. Also, I know Kyrie has said he wants to put himself in a position to get a lot of playing time, but with Bledsoe there, I don't think that would happen (if Kyrie went to UK instead of Knight).

I think Kyrie is a better fit for Duke's playing style than Kentucky. I think Knight probably works better with Kentucky than Duke.

Bledsoe is going to be a starter this year as a freshman, playing alongside John Wall.

FireOgilvie
09-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Bledsoe is going to be a starter this year as a freshman, playing alongside John Wall.

Only 1 guy gets to play PG. Even if he plays 30 minutes a game with Wall and gets 50 percent of the PG duties, he's not getting what he could have been at another school. Bledsoe and Wall have roughly the same skillset and neither one of them is a particularly good shooter. I don't see them being on the court together for as long as some think, especially when the opposing team just packs in a zone and doesn't allow them to drive (forcing them to chuck up 3s). Someone has to be out there to keep the defense honest.

jesus_hurley
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Looks like we are off his final list

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/22/knight-enjoyed-kentucky-6-schools-in-mix/

Knight’s list includes Kentucky, UConn, Miami, Florida, Kansas and Syracuse.

mr. synellinden
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
That's an interesting final list for a guy who is reportedly an ouststanding student and supposedly academics was going to be a huge factor in making a college choice.

ice-9
09-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Did Duke even do an in-home visit with BK?

I think the staff decided to focus on Kyrie, thus the lack of news on BK with Duke in the past year.

Duke of Nashville
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know, as to when, BK was planning on giving his word? I feel bad for Bledsoe...

Everything seems to be aligning to get a commit from KI.

Bluedog
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
That's an interesting final list for a guy who is reportedly an ouststanding student and supposedly academics was going to be a huge factor in making a college choice.

They all say academics plays a large role...but we know that basketball is the most important factor for the vast majority of these guys (Zoubek excluded ;)). As long as the school has a decent reputation, it's considered fine. In fact, I'd say that the top schools might have a slight disadvantage for the very top level recruits (i.e. those potentially leaving early for the NBA) since recruits see them as more competitive and a larger time commitment from the academic standpoint.

USNWR
Florida - #47
Miami - #50
Syracuse - #58
UConn - #66
Kansas - #96
Kentucky - #128 (last possible ranking before "Tier 3")

Wall chose UK over Duke. What other "normal" student would possibly choose UK over Duke (except for financial reasons; in-state tuition, etc.)? They're not even close to the same level academically. Although Wall never said academics came first.

Even Kyrie, who is also an outstanding student, and said "academics comes before basketball when choosing a college" has only two top 50 schools on his list (Duke and Georgia Tech). If academics truly were the single most important criterion, it'd be Duke is a landslide over all his other choices (unless he wanted to study aerospace engineering since Ga Tech has us beat there). I certainly would welcome somebody of Kyrie's great character and academic background (and, obviously, outstanding basketball abilities) to Duke, but to say that academics is by far the most important factor doesn't add up. To say that it plays some factor for guys like Kyrie is more accurate. But basketball is still the most important one, especially for guys who have a good shot at the NBA.

BK is not alone with his decision making process. Frankly, if I had his talent, I don't think I'd necessarily care about going to the most prestigious academic institution either. Certainly wouldn't hurt; but wouldn't be the only factor.

airowe
09-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know, as to when, BK was planning on giving his word? I feel bad for Bledsoe...

I've been hearing Spring.

airowe
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Did Duke even do an in-home visit with BK?

I think the staff decided to focus on Kyrie, thus the lack of news on BK with Duke in the past year.

It was cancelled recently.

rotogod00
09-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Looks like we are off his final list

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/22/knight-enjoyed-kentucky-6-schools-in-mix/

I don't blame him as we've obviously shown recently that Irving is our top PG target.

Let's just hope we get him or we could be in a bind.

smklin
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't blame him as we've obviously shown recently that Irving is our top PG target.

Let's just hope we get him or we could be in a bind.

With the recent news on Austin Rivers and how well his visit to Duke went, it sounds like we could be getting some big-time guards for the next few years. Go Devils!

UrinalCake
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
If academics truly were the single most important criterion, it'd be Duke is a landslide over all his other choices (unless he wanted to study aerospace engineering since Ga Tech has us beat there).

I think you can value academics without necessarily limiting yourself to the top schools as ranked by US News or whatever. First off, those rankings are somewhat suspect to begin with. And secondly, it depends what you're planning to major in - as you mentioned, one school may be particularly good in one area, which is the student's intended major.

For a basketball player, they're often considering how a school's academics will support them during their basketball career, and after it is over. This is very different from how "good" the school is in its overall academics.

rotogod00
09-22-2009, 02:31 PM
With the recent news on Austin Rivers and how well his visit to Duke went, it sounds like we could be getting some big-time guards for the next few years. Go Devils!

Yeah, but Rivers is a 2. We need a true PG with the ability to break down the defense. Really crossing my fingers on Irving with Knight apparently off the board.

smklin
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
I think you can value academics without necessarily limiting yourself to the top schools as ranked by US News or whatever. First off, those rankings are somewhat suspect to begin with. And secondly, it depends what you're planning to major in - as you mentioned, one school may be particularly good in one area, which is the student's intended major.

For a basketball player, they're often considering how a school's academics will support them during their basketball career, and after it is over. This is very different from how "good" the school is in its overall academics.

i agree, i think it's easy to get caught up in the rankings because duke is consistently in the top ten schools in the country academically, but i think that for a lot of people out there, having "academics as a big factor" means avoiding cincy and memphis, not only looking at duke and stanford.

chrisheery
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
i agree, i think it's easy to get caught up in the rankings because duke is consistently in the top ten schools in the country academically, but i think that for a lot of people out there, having "academics as a big factor" means avoiding cincy and memphis, not only looking at duke and stanford.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. You are not giving these young men enough credit for their remarkable achievements. Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes have been documented to be honor students. Knight is at a top private school and also demonstrates all the characteristics of a Duke student whether he played basketball or not. I haven't read that much in that area about Irving, but he seems to be similar based on interviews and comments.

My point is that when a guy who could get into Duke without having played basketball says that he thinks academics are important, it is reasonable to assume he is thinking top tier. I think it also is not a stretch to think that statement was somewhat disingenuous when he picks a school that is not even close to the top 25 in academics.

smklin
09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy that. You are not giving these young men enough credit for their remarkable achievements. Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes have been documented to be honor students. Knight is at a top private school and also demonstrates all the characteristics of a Duke student whether he played basketball or not. I haven't read that much in that area about Irving, but he seems to be similar based on interviews and comments.

My point is that when a guy who could get into Duke without having played basketball says that he thinks academics are important, it is reasonable to assume he is thinking top tier. I think it also is not a stretch to think that statement was somewhat disingenuous when he picks a school that is not even close to the top 25 in academics.

If the recruit is truly a top caliber student, then I think you're probably right. But factor #1 has to be basketball, regardless of how good the academics are. I imagine that for these 5-star recruits, a school's academic ranking is more of an extra plus than a deciding factor.

chrisheery
09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
If the recruit is truly a top caliber student, then I think you're probably right. But factor #1 has to be basketball, regardless of how good the academics are. I imagine that for these 5-star recruits, a school's academic ranking is more of an extra plus than a deciding factor.

We could go back and forth about this, I suppose, but the point is that when a person says that he values academics highly, he deserves criticism when he does something that proves that statement not to be true.

He already was a basketball star, extremely highly recruited, when he made those statements. I'm not saying it is a huge deal, I am just saying it was something that turned out not to be true. Nothing has changed about Brandon Knight. He's a stud PG, he's a tremendous student, he's proven to be a great role model in his community. Why make the statement that you are going to heavily weigh academics when basketball is really the only thing you considered?

Some might say that Kentucky is a great school, and I won't disagree. All I am saying is that it isn't Duke. I don't think anyone who is being honest with themselves would argue that point.

El_Diablo
09-22-2009, 05:07 PM

So if someone doesn't conform to your assumption, then he was being disingenuous? Isn't it equally likely (or even more so) that you were just wrongly assuming something?

He didn't say he only wanted to go to a top-10 school. Maybe "academics is important to me" simply means "I plan on attending my classes" or "I plan on leaving school in good academic standing" or "I want to eventually get my degree" or some combination thereof. There's no need to hammer him for being disingenuous just because your assumption isn't fulfilled.

Even if your assumption (that he wanted to go to a top academic school) was valid at one point in the past, who's to say he can never change his mind? Maybe our academic strength was once a major factor for him, but other factors are now more important. And it's not like we've been that involved with him recently anyway...should he keep us as a front-runner forever, just because we're ranked higher academically than those other schools?

airowe
09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but Rivers is a 2. We need a true PG with the ability to break down the defense. Really crossing my fingers on Irving with Knight apparently off the board.

Rivers was only recently reclassified as a SG. Have you seen any videos of the kid? He can certainly break down the defense, whether he's considered a PG or not. With these two guys, think Duhon/J. Will.

*drooling*

duketaylor
09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Most consider Rivers a combo guard.

speedevil2001
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Why do you feel bad for bledsoe for?

he got a scholarship to play basketball at kentucky, free college education.
plus he is going to be to play and practice with john wall this season, brandon knight next season. dont you think they will make him a better player? if bledsoe has any skills he will find the court, either as a back up or along side wall and knight.

are you going to feel bad for tyler thornton too, if kyrie irving comes to duke? plus seth curry will be playing next season.

the point is coaches will play players will if they earn it.

airowe
09-22-2009, 08:00 PM

plus he is going to be to play and practice with john wall this season, brandon knight next season. dont you think they will make him a better player? if bledsoe has any skills he will find the court, either as a back up or along side wall and knight.

are you going to feel bad for tyler thornton too, if kyrie irving comes to duke? plus seth curry will be playing next season.

Did I miss Brandon Knight's commitment to UK? I keep seeing it in this thread.

CDu
09-22-2009, 09:06 PM
We could go back and forth about this, I suppose, but the point is that when a person says that he values academics highly, he deserves criticism when he does something that proves that statement not to be true.

He already was a basketball star, extremely highly recruited, when he made those statements. I'm not saying it is a huge deal, I am just saying it was something that turned out not to be true. Nothing has changed about Brandon Knight. He's a stud PG, he's a tremendous student, he's proven to be a great role model in his community. Why make the statement that you are going to heavily weigh academics when basketball is really the only thing you considered?

Some might say that Kentucky is a great school, and I won't disagree. All I am saying is that it isn't Duke. I don't think anyone who is being honest with themselves would argue that point.

I think you're making too big a deal about what may have been a throwaway comment in the first place. For one, you don't know the context in which he made his "academics are important" statement. For another thing, you don't know that academics aren't still important. There's no guarantee that eliminating the best school from his list means academics aren't still important to him.

And even if he IS now showing that academics aren't as important to him (which I don't think is a given), why are you giving him grief? He's a teenager. Sometimes teenagers say things that aren't entirely true. Sometimes they simply say what they think people want to hear. I'm sure you've said something and then done something to contradict what you said. It doesn't necessarily warrant criticism.

If someone said "don't do drugs" and then went out and did drugs, that'd warrant criticism. But saying "academics are important to me" and then not choosing to go to the elite of academic schools is firstly not necessarily contradictory and secondly not worthy of criticism even if it is contradictory.

FireOgilvie
09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
If Knight 1) said that academics were the most important thing to him 2) ends up at Kentucky with guys that can barely qualify academically with the NCAA and 3) leaves after 1 year and never gets his degree, I could see reason for calling him out on his statement.

Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

chrisheery
09-22-2009, 09:47 PM
1. I didn't make a big deal, just agreed with a poster who said it was an interesting list of schools or a guy who said academics were important.

2. I'd say you are making a much bigger deal of this than I am.

3. I am not giving BK grief. In fact, I even said I didn't think it was wrong in my post. My point was and remains that he has changed what he proclaimed to value most. The disagreement here seem to be about judging him for that. I'll be clear, I don't care that he changed his mind. I've changed my mind about far less important things. All I am saying is that he clearly made a decision based much more on basketball than academics.

4. My original point remains that to assume a person and student of BK's quality shows that academics are important to him by just "going to class" is a disservice to all student athletes everywhere.

rotogod00
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Most consider Rivers a combo guard.

no offense to rivers as he's a great talent, but we don't need another combo guard. a true 1 is our biggest need. that said, i wouldn't be disappointed if we can ink both. but i'd be disappointed with rivers without irving.

FireOgilvie
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
no offense to rivers as he's a great talent, but we don't need another combo guard. a true 1 is our biggest need. that said, i wouldn't be disappointed if we can ink both. but i'd be disappointed with rivers without irving.

If Irving doesn't come, I have a feeling we're probably not getting Rivers. Irving may be the key for not only Rivers, but possibly Barnes, IMO. Duke looks a lot better when we have a star PG.

Duvall
09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
If Knight 1) said that academics were the most important thing to him 2) ends up at Kentucky with guys that can barely qualify academically with the NCAA and 3) leaves after 1 year and never gets his degree, I could see reason for calling him out on his statement.

Well, okay. I'm just not sure I see the point of calling out a high school kid for having shifting priorities, especially when faced with the real prospect of becoming a millionaire before the age of 21.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I agree. Rivers did state that he wanted to see where everyone else was going so he can make his final choice. Also he stated that he talk to Irving about playing at Duke together.

chrisheery
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, okay. I'm just not sure I see the point of calling out a high school kid for having shifting priorities, especially when faced with the real prospect of becoming a millionaire before the age of 21.

Not sure who is disagreeing with you or why this has to be said over and over again. I would have done the same thing if i were in his position and thought Kentucky gave me the best shot at being drafted in the top 3 in the following years draft.

MADevil30
09-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Well Rivers is class of 2011 and we have one pg (Thornton) already locked up for 2010 and are still recruiting the position hard for that class. Our two significant combo guards right now are Scheyer, who is a senior this year and will have already finished his first two years in the NBA (:rolleyes:) by the time Rivers is on campus, and Smith who will also have graduated by Rivers's first season. That leaves a junior Seth Curry as the only other combo guard who will be on the roster with Rivers. Seeing as this is a position that has proven to be critical to Coach K's style, I'd say that Rivers would definitely bring a lot to that team.

rotogod00
09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
If Irving doesn't come, I have a feeling we're probably not getting Rivers. Irving may be the key for not only Rivers, but possibly Barnes, IMO. Duke looks a lot better when we have a star PG.

what he said

Duke of Nashville
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM

BK has not committed anywhere. But on the assumption that he will....

I feel sorry for Eric Bledsoe because he is more than likely going to be overshadowed his entire collegiate career by top tier, one and done players. It does not mean that he will not have a successful college career, nor does it mean he will not have a future in the NBA, or that BK will totally blow my mind and stay in KY more than a year.

The kid was a big name player coming out of high school. A solid player who could develop into a great PG and obtaining great leadership skills, but let’s get something straight here, Calamari does not develop leaders, he maximizes players scoring capabilities, while IMO sacrificing other areas of the game. Bledsoe could have been the big man on campus, worked on all areas of his game, at a number of different schools, and been part of something larger than himself. Please do not and try and tell me the Calamri recruited BK by saying, "You will have the keys to our offense next year, but If Eric Bledsoe works hard enough this year you may have to take a backseat to him." I wouldn't buy that with Bill Gates's money.

All I am saying is, seeing the #1 overall recruit come in with your class is one thing. But year after year, having the best overall player in the class being recruited by your team, who typically has been playing the same position as you, has to be disheartening.

smklin
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Please do not and try and tell me the Calamri recruited BK by saying, "You will have the keys to our offense next year, but If Eric Bledsoe works hard enough this year you may have to take a backseat to him." I wouldn't buy that with Bill Gates's money.

All I am saying is, seeing the #1 overall recruit come in with your class is one thing. But year after year, having the best overall player in the class being recruited by your team, who typically has been playing the same position as you, has to be disheartening.

Amen. its one thing if you're still the leader on the team, even from the bench (paulus), but if your coach is basically going after replacements for you year after year after year...not easy. and IMO, not respectful either.

UrinalCake
09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't quite understand the sympathy for Bledsoe. It's not like he was forced into this situation against his will. He knew there was a good chance that Wall would end up at Kentucky, and he probably knew that they would be looking at Knight the following year. No matter what, there will always be other great talent around him. No one put a gun up to his head and told him to commit.

And to anyone who's still disappointed because he didn't come to Duke (not naming names, just a sentiment I've heard in various forums) please give it up; Duke never made an offer to him and thus he likely was never in our plans.

airowe
09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
If Calimari is true and he'll play 3 PGs at a time Bledsoe will get all the PT he needs.

The only reason to feel bad for Bledsoe is that he has to be around that slimy squid but that was his choice.

BD80
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Bringing this back to Brandon, this is a Brandon Knight thread isn't it?

It is likely that both Bledsoe and Wall will be gone by time Knight would arrive. Some observers have commented that Bledsoe has been outplaying Wall when they are on the court together. It appears that Bledsoe and Wall will play quite a bit together, and Cal will often use three guards even though he has Patterson, Cousins, and Orton and a flock of wings.

It sounds like Brandon has abandoned his thoughts of an education and is taking the express route to the NBA, the choice Bledsoe and Wall have taken. I don't think Cal offers better preparation for the pros, just a better "showcase" for NBA scouts. I would also suggest that to some, Cal would be offering the option of a less rigorous academic regimen.

Cal has the problem of having to restock every year - four freshman could start this year and be gone next year - but he always has room for the next one-and-done high school senior. I think the one-and-dones will eventually take its toll due to the academic progress requirements of the NCAA. Memphis will bear the brunt first as the reports are released regarding Cal's recruits over the past few years (how many think Rose ever went to class?). Cal better have a title or two by that time, or the natives will get restless.

chrisheery
09-23-2009, 01:04 PM
If Calimari is true and he'll play 3 PGs at a time Bledsoe will get all the PT he needs.

The only reason to feel bad for Bledsoe is that he has to be around that slimy squid but that was his choice.

I am not sure it was his choice. I think (this is just conjecture based on articles I read at the time) that Bledsoe really wanted to go to Duke. I don't think we ever offered him. My guess is that he was never offered because the admissions committee just couldn't allow someone with his academic record in. It's too bad, because his story seemed to be that he attended a really poor school and didn't have much guidance. He seems like a really good guy, though. I imagine he would have really benefitted from being in the Duke culture.

Anyway, Kentucky was by far his best offer after Duke. As noted in this thread, these guys have to do what they can to make it to the NBA. So, I am not so sure it was his "choice" to go hang out with Calipari. It was more something he had to do to get where he wants to go. I just get the sense he would have come to Duke if we could have allowed him to. He did, after all, say Duke was his dream school.

jesus_hurley
09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Anyway, Kentucky was by far his best offer after Duke.

IIRC, it was down to vacated final four #2 and vacated final four #3

Duke of Nashville
09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I am not sure it was his choice. I think (this is just conjecture based on articles I read at the time) that Bledsoe really wanted to go to Duke. I don't think we ever offered him. My guess is that he was never offered because the admissions committee just couldn't allow someone with his academic record in. It's too bad, because his story seemed to be that he attended a really poor school and didn't have much guidance. He seems like a really good guy, though. I imagine he would have really benefitted from being in the Duke culture.

Anyway, Kentucky was by far his best offer after Duke. As noted in this thread, these guys have to do what they can to make it to the NBA. So, I am not so sure it was his "choice" to go hang out with Calipari. It was more something he had to do to get where he wants to go. I just get the sense he would have come to Duke if we could have allowed him to. He did, after all, say Duke was his dream school.

UrinalCake

I don't quite understand the sympathy for Bledsoe. It's not like he was forced into this situation against his will. He knew there was a good chance that Wall would end up at Kentucky, and he probably knew that they would be looking at Knight the following year. No matter what, there will always be other great talent around him. No one put a gun up to his head and told him to commit.

And to anyone who's still disappointed because he didn't come to Duke (not naming names, just a sentiment I've heard in various forums) please give it up; Duke never made an offer to him and thus he likely was never in our plans.

Pretty sure he was never offered.

chrisheery
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
UrinalCake

Pretty sure he was never offered.

Thanks for the fantastic insight. If you read my post at all, you would have seen that I was saying that we couldn't offer him because of his academic short fallings. Hence, the only other school worth going to that was even recruiting him was Kentucky because it would at least get him to the NBA (if he can get there). I didn't say we offered him, I said he couldn't go to Duke, so he took the best available school for his goals.

Duke of Nashville
09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the fantastic insight. If you read my post at all, you would have seen that I was saying that we couldn't offer him because of his academic short fallings. Hence, the only other school worth going to that was even recruiting him was Kentucky because it would at least get him to the NBA (if he can get there). I didn't say we offered him, I said he couldn't go to Duke, so he took the best available school for his goals.

My apologies.

bigj4194
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
This makes it seem that Knight is no longer considering duke
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/24/knight-headed-to-uconn-for-official-may-decide-late/

Knight’s list includes Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, Syracuse, Miami and Florida.

Kedsy
09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
This makes it seem that Knight is no longer considering duke
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/24/knight-headed-to-uconn-for-official-may-decide-late/

Wow, it's deja vu all over again.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=316877#post316877

jesus_hurley
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Color me confused....

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/knight-enjoyed-uconn-weighing-options/

Knight has already visited Kentucky officially and plans to visit Kansas OCt. 16 for “Late Night in the Phog.”

Duke, Miami and Syracuse are also involved and Beckerman said Knight will likely visit Duke.

“He’s slowly starting to see the difference in programs,” Beckerman said.

“He’s starting to evaluate the differences between the progams and what program will fit his style of play and what program will enhance his game. Not only the program, it’s the coach as well. These are things that they’re looking at.”

Wasn't it just a week or two ago that we were out of his top 5, and now, according to his HS coach, we are back in?

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
That is the second time someone said we were out and now were back in....the SECOND TIME

airowe
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Color me confused....

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/29/knight-enjoyed-uconn-weighing-options/

Wasn't it just a week or two ago that we were out of his top 5, and now, according to his HS coach, we are back in?

Yeah, I think his coach and Mom know what's best for him (Duke) but he seems to have other ideas...

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
He's a Duke fan idk what you mean.

Bluedevil114
09-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Maybe this speeds up a decision for Kyrie hearing Knight will make his official Visit. I am sure Coach K has told Kyrie he is our top pick but I love the bigger net Coach K is using to recruit. With Barnes and Smith also. Keep the OV's coming........

Bud
09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I doubt that it will speed Irving's decision up. It looks like Knight is going to wait until the spring until he decides I think Irving will choose Duke before then.

rotogod00
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
As it appears we've been officially dropped from Knight's list, godspeed on Irving.

JaMarcus Russell
10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Who knows at this point? It's already been reported twice before that Knight dropped Duke, but that was refuted fairly quickly. Now on Zag's Blog it states:

"Jerry Meyer of Rivals reports that Brandon Knight, the No. 1 recruit in the nation, has crossed Duke off his list. Perhaps Knight expects Kyrie Irving to commit there and is planning ahead. Knight has visited Kentucky and UConn and told Meyer he may visit Kansas at a time other than Oct. 16. Syracuse may also get an official, said Knight, who has been limited because of a stress fracture."

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/02/nunez-to-visit-uk-jones-still-considering-ku/

airowe
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Give me Kyrie Irving. At this point in their recruiting processes, I'll take Kyrie over Brandon any day of the week. We can't afford to wait until the Spring and Kyrie could end up better than Brandon anyways. The difference between the #1 and #2 PG in a class is not all that much. Its pretty obvious the Duke staff has switched their focus from Knight to Irving.

My fearless prediction:
Selby to UK
Knight to UConn
Irving to Duke

Franzez
10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Give me Kyrie Irving. At this point in their recruiting processes, I'll take Kyrie over Brandon any day of the week. We can't afford to wait until the Spring and Kyrie could end up better than Brandon anyways. The difference between the #1 and #2 PG in a class is not all that much. Its pretty obvious the Duke staff has switched their focus from Knight to Irving.

My fearless prediction:
Selby to UK
Knight to UConn
Irving to Duke
Thats your prediction and I respect that.

But more than likely it will be Irving to Duke, Knight to Kentucky, and Selby to Syracuse.

airowe
10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Thats your prediction and I respect that.

But more than likely it will be Irving to Duke, Knight to Kentucky, and Selby to Syracuse.

For some reason I don't see Knight at UK and I don't think Cal will miss out on every PG he's targeting. We'll see.

At least we're both right about the most important one. ;)

jesus_hurley
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM

My fearless prediction:
Selby to UK
Knight to UConn
Irving to Duke

Selby is going to IU. Shirt tug.

airowe
10-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Selby is going to IU. Shirt tug.

Oh geez. The shirt tug. I thought that was supposed to mean Kyrie was going to Indiana?

The reason I think Selby's going to UK is the reason he decommitted from Tenn in the first place. If you remember, the decommitment came while Bruce Pearl was coaching the Maccabiah games and Selby had a discussion with WWW at an event. He promptly announced his recruitment was open. That's no minor detail.

jesus_hurley
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh geez. The shirt tug. I thought that was supposed to mean Kyrie was going to Indiana?

The reason I think Selby's going to UK is the reason he decommitted from Tenn in the first place. If you remember, the decommitment came while Bruce Pearl was coaching the Maccabiah games and Selby had a discussion with WWW at an event. He promptly announced his recruitment was open. That's no minor detail.

Couldn't resist. Shoulda added a smiley face there. I think you are right though - Selby to UK, the www involvement coupled with the decommitment shortly thereafter is pretty telling. I thought Knight was going to end up in Miami but it doesn't appear that'll happen now.

G man
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I hope that Knight ends up at syracuse. I can not stomach UK, or KU and I have a growing respect for the orangemen. Also I would rather have Kyrie. He tore it up this summer and is not coming off a injury.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
No way Knight ends up at syracuse. I would actually like to see him and Kenny B. at Florida although i don't know how that would affect us with AR so idk.

Saratoga2
10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I spent the summer busy with other things and am unsure where we stand on recruiting going forward.

It appears from this that we are not getting Brandon Knight.

The ones we have offered include Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Irving, Josh Smith, Josh Hairston (Verbal), Tyler Thornton (Verbal) and Roscoe Smith ( I can't find where we have offered him)

Is this the current list, or am I missing some? This is a pretty impressive list so I am hoping we succeed with these. With the returnees, it would make a pretty impressive team.

Cell-R
10-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I spent the summer busy with other things and am unsure where we stand on recruiting going forward.

The ones we have offered include Harrison Barnes, Kyrie Irving, Josh Smith, Josh Hairston (Verbal), Tyler Thornton (Verbal) and Roscoe Smith ( I can't find where we have offered him)

Is this the current list, or am I missing some? This is a pretty impressive list so I am hoping we succeed with these. With the returnees, it would make a pretty impressive team.

Check out Austin Rivers. :D

airowe
10-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Saratoga,

Welcome back.

Scout.com does not list us as having offered Roscoe Smith but Rivals.com does. Take that FWIW.

I agree with you though, if we bat .500 on these recruits we will have a formidable team.

SilkyJ
10-04-2009, 03:16 AM

Additional comment to previous one: josh smith chatter has been negligible for 6mos. Many consider him out of the picture (I certainly do) and more than most think he's headed for somewhere out west.

Full disclosure, I subscribe to ZERO premium sites.

Saratoga2
10-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Check out Austin Rivers. :D

I know little about him except he was a verbal to Florida and then withdrew the verbal. I can see he is a 6'3" shooting guard and pretty highly regarded. Is he related to Doc Rivers?

rotogod00
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I know little about him except he was a verbal to Florida and then withdrew the verbal. I can see he is a 6'3" shooting guard and pretty highly regarded. Is he related to Doc Rivers?

Yeah, it's his son. And I don't think he has officially withdrawn his verbal. But I believe he has allowed Duke to recruit him.

rotogod00
03-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Little Knight update. Just dropped Miami from his list. So with it down to Kentucky, Florida, Kansas, Connecticut and Syracuse (just added), no ACC in his future

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks, even though i know there is no way he is going to Duke, I am still interested in his recruiting process. Hopefully he goes to Cuse

Franzez
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Little Knight update. Just dropped Miami from his list. So with it down to Kentucky, Florida, Kansas, Connecticut and Syracuse (just added), no ACC in his future

Good for him.

Hopefully he doesn't go to Kentucky and chooses Florida. From what I've seen I dont think he is a 1 & Done, he could very well play for 2-3 years.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Him and Kenny B at florida could be dangerous, I wonder if he does go and Kenny b stays for at least two more years, what Austin R. would do, with Two other good combo guards on the roster.

BD80
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Him and Kenny B at florida could be dangerous, I wonder if he does go and Kenny b stays for at least two more years, what Austin R. would do, with Two other good combo guards on the roster.

Brad Beal has committed as well. That would be 4 top notch 2s.

To me, Brandon going to Florida would indicate that Austin is headed to Durham. Sung to the tune "Dallas in Tennessee"

MChambers
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM

To me, Brandon going to Florida would indicate that Austin is headed to Durham. Sung to the tune "Dallas in Tennessee"

Gosh, wouldn't Boynton and Beal be enough? I guess Florida could use a three guard attack.

yancem
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Good for him.

Hopefully he doesn't go to Kentucky and chooses Florida. From what I've seen I dont think he is a 1 & Done, he could very well play for 2-3 years.

I'm not sure I'm buying much of a chance he sticks around 3 years. I still think that 2 years may be a stretch. I don't think that he's gone down hill so much as a couple of guys (cough Riving cough) have really exploded to catch up to him.

He was pretty impressive in his match up against Rivers on espn a few weeks back.

I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. As much as Boynton has been criticized on this board for his performance the season, the guy has had a solid fr. year and I doubt he sticks around for 3 years. And again, I still think that Knight is probably a 1 and done. So if just one of the two is gone by the time Rivers arrives the back court will be stacked but not necessarily over crowded.

That being said, I'm still hopeful that Rivers comes to Durham!

Franzez
03-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure I'm buying much of a chance he sticks around 3 years. I still think that 2 years may be a stretch. I don't think that he's gone down hill so much as a couple of guys (cough Riving cough) have really exploded to catch up to him.

He was pretty impressive in his match up against Rivers on espn a few weeks back.

I agree but I'm talking solely of his NBA potential, Brandon Knight does not have overwhelming NBA potential based upon his play and athletic ability. He needs atleast 2 years to properly build up his stock as a player rather than as a prospect because when you think about it, compared to the past HS classes hes going to be coming into the college ranks with no outstanding hype.

I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. As much as Boynton has been criticized on this board for his performance the season, the guy has had a solid fr. year and I doubt he sticks around for 3 years. And again, I still think that Knight is probably a 1 and done. So if just one of the two is gone by the time Rivers arrives the back court will be stacked but not necessarily over crowded.

That being said, I'm still hopeful that Rivers comes to Durham!
I think Rivers ends up at Duke or Indiana anyways. His Florida commitment I think came too early as a HS freshman, and maybe he did so in order to not have to deal with the public pressure to choose Florida.

Im sorry but Kenny Boynton is not going to be a NBA player, hes an undersized SG who still hasn't proven he can play PG. Hes nothing more than a poor man's Ben Gordon right now as a player, I think he will improve but that wont change his NBA stock being non existant without him really having 1 or 2 great seasons.

juise
03-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I think Rivers ends up at Duke or Indiana anyways.

I know that Jeremiah Rivers is at IU, but what makes you think that Austin is remotely considering going there? I haven't seen anything that would support this.

Im sorry but Kenny Boynton is not going to be a NBA player, hes an undersized SG who still hasn't proven he can play PG. Hes nothing more than a poor man's Ben Gordon right now as a player...

Ben Gordon was a poor man's Ben Gordon as a freshman as well. I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

Cockabeau
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
LOL Kenny Boyton will stay all 4 years. 5-11 Shooting guards are not really sought after in the NBA...

IMO Knight goes to UK and Rivers will end up at Duke.

People who know Austin know his priorities

winning and tradition>Nightlife and pretty girls.
Not to mention a certain connection that Doc has with former NBA players-Gerald and Dell....
So its not hard to piece it all together....

AlaskanAssassin
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Florida dropped Knight. Weird.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956409.html

especially after seeing him:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/21/donovan-focused-on-knight-not-st-johns/

juise
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
especially after seeing him:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/21/donovan-focused-on-knight-not-st-johns/

I don't know a ton about recruiting, but it's often said here that Zags recruiting information is sometimes recycled. Sometimes he reports things in an untimely way that confuses people because it may conflict with more recent information.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Knight joins the company of Lebron James, and Greg Oden in that he's a two time high school player of the year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5020840

airowe
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know a ton about recruiting, but it's often said here that Zags recruiting information is sometimes recycled. Sometimes he reports things in an untimely way that confuses people because it may conflict with more recent information.

Well yeah, just look at the picture in the article...

;)

-bdbd
03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Billy being a decent recruiter, if only a so-so bench coach, had to know that he was a long-shot at this point for Knight. Even if it helps him (which it does) just a little bit with getting Rivers next year, then he could be said to be making a reasonjable strategic move. All the chips, as it were, are in one pot for FLA. (That said, if they miss on Austin, I have no doubt but they already have other (3- and 4-star) PG/2G fallback candidates in mind and being subtly "semi-recruited." Time will tell if ole Billy has made a good bet or not. I still think the signals make him a Duke lean, especially if his dad has any say. We'll see.

:cool:

That_Dude
03-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Gosh, wouldn't Boynton and Beal be enough? I guess Florida could use a three guard attack.

Boynton & Beal is nice looking backcourt, but.... Kenny could easily test the waters if he has a good season(not that a 6'2 combo guard is in high demand, but u never kno). We have no impact guards other than him, so Rivers + Beal would give us crucial backcourt depth that and/or insurance in-case Kenny were to bail... If he stays, we would have a killer backcourt tho.

But, that bring me to the fact that Duke is also pretty stacked @ the 1/2 & 2/3 as well.. Kyrie, Dawkins, Curry, & Thornton, not to mention Gbinije & Felix @ the 2/3.. Lets not be selfish, now. :D Looks like both teams are loading up.