PDA

View Full Version : Dear DBR: Please continue not to care about the Open Championship

hurleyfor3
07-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I realize this year's [British] Open doesn't count and all. But if Greg Norman wins it'll be more amazing than anything Eldrick's ever done.

EarlJam
07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I realize this year's [British] Open doesn't count and all. But if Greg Norman wins it'll be more amazing than anything Eldrick's ever done.

I saw where he was leading. Amazing. Is the final round Sunday?

I'm not a big golf fan but was simply amazed by Tiger's performance at the U.S. Open. I could totally get into the Norman saga.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Final round is Sunday morning. Greg is in the clubhouse at even. Five people are on the course at +2 (they are early in their round, and most will probably end up higher) and only one person (Retief Goosen) on the course at +3. This tournament is pretty much half over!

Related topic: Chris Evert: cougar?

Clipsfan
07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Final round is Sunday morning. Greg is in the clubhouse at even. Five people are on the course at +2 (they are early in their round, and most will probably end up higher) and only one person (Retief Goosen) on the course at +3. This tournament is pretty much half over!

Related topic: Chris Evert: cougar?

Yes, it's amazing what Norman is doing, especially as he hasn't really been playing much.

Chris can't be a cougar unless she's chasing after much younger men? Isn't she less than a year older than Greg?

hurleyfor3
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Chris can't be a cougar unless she's chasing after much younger men? Isn't she less than a year older than Greg?

Fair enough. Not all recent photos of her are equally flattering. This may be the best.

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2007/12/37139/400_cevertgnorman_071214_simonfergusson_77268595.j pg

Clipsfan
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Duval is at +1 (-2 on the day) through 12...that would be quite the final pair tomorrow.

hurleyfor3
07-18-2008, 03:15 PM
KJ Choi birdies 17 and 18 to finish at -1. Still, a lot of very interesting names at +2 or better.

John Daly shoots an 89, showing remarkable restraint in actually finishing his round.

BlueDevilBaby
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, it's amazing what Norman is doing, especially as he hasn't really been playing much.

She was born in 1954 (yes, she was my childhood idol).

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Not all recent photos of her are equally flattering. This may be the best.

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2007/12/37139/400_cevertgnorman_071214_simonfergusson_77268595.j pg

That is a GREAT picture of Chrissy. Chrissy is 6 months younger than I am. I never met her in HS in Ft. Lauderdale, but I once hit tennis balls with her younger sister Jeanne at Holiday Park.

Duvall
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
But if Greg Norman wins it'll be more amazing than anything Eldrick's ever done.

I get it. This is satire, right?

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Here's a link to the live scoreboard.
http://www.pga.com/openchampionship/2008/scoring/

What I find more amazing than Norman being one shot out of the lead is David Duval being tied for fourth place! Talk about coming back from the near dead!

riverside6
07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah, and that Rocco guy is right there again. The storylines are fantastic for a great weekend.

Also, keeping with the comeback theme, don't forget about Jean Van De Velde who is at +4.

cato
07-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Also, keeping with the comeback theme, don't forget about Jean Van De Velde who is at +4.

Van De Velde will not win. From that moment we all saw him ankle deep in the burn, it was clear that he was going to squander his only opportunity to have his name engraved on the Claret Jug. In fact, if he does win, I will fly over to the UK, steal the Claret Jug and eat it.

cato
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
So, if you are pulling for Norman, and he finishes off these last few holes strong, do you dare hope that the guy will play well tomorrow? I mean, it is the British Open, and not the US Open, so the choke is not quite guaranteed. Or do you hold on to cold, hard cynical belief that his putter will betray him or someone else will pull out something unreal?

snowdenscold
07-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Wow a two-stroke lead going into Sunday and an inch away from a 3-stroke lead after that great chip on 18. I really thought that was going in - I'm sure Greg did too.

TriGuy
07-19-2008, 03:29 PM
The one thing that would make it even more suspenseful is if Mickelson were tied with him. . . :-)

If I were in the hunt, and the only people standing between me and a major were The Shark and Lefty, I'd have to feel AWFULLY good about my chances . . .

mph
07-19-2008, 05:00 PM
So, if you are pulling for Norman, and he finishes off these last few holes strong, do you dare hope that the guy will play well tomorrow? I mean, it is the British Open, and not the US Open, so the choke is not quite guaranteed. Or do you hold on to cold, hard cynical belief that his putter will betray him or someone else will pull out something unreal?

Aside from the fact it's the British, he's also 53 and hasn't been a factor in the last decade. Leading on Sunday might be less pressure now than when he was the world's number one and expected to win.

Also, my brother pointed out that winning the Open would get Norman back in the US open and, more important to him, the Masters. I believe the exemption is for 5 years to both tournaments.

rthomas
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Let's go Nor man, clap clap clap clap clap.

wilson
07-19-2008, 10:23 PM

Seconded. I root for Tiger because I believe him to be the most compelling athlete to play during my lifetime. But before he came around, I loved The Shark. I'd like to believe that the golf gods kind of owe him one, and I'd really love to see him win tomorrow. Regardless, I'll be watching.

YmoBeThere
07-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Looks like the passage of time hasn't cured all that ails Greg. He's +7 through 14. Well, he still got married...

JasonEvans
07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Hello reality!

Norman went up -- waaay up -- with a +7 final round to finish 6 strokes back of Paddy Harrington, who won back-to-back Brits. Doing that is really something special, especially for a guy from Dublin. Props to him, he won going away.

I was really hoping that Anthony Kim would have his breakout moment in this tournament (he finished 7th). He can be a little bit of a challenger to Tiger someday, I think.

--Jason "remember when we thought Sergio would be a Tiger rival?" Evans

colchar
07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, he still got married...

But only after giving his ex-wife $101 million in a divorce settlement. Heck, I'd have married him for that amount of money.