PDA

View Full Version : Duke Captain

mgtr
07-18-2008, 02:56 AM
I assume that Greg Paulus with be the capitain of the Duke BB team in 08-09. Does anybody disagree?

speedevil
07-18-2008, 03:19 AM
maybe david mcclure as a co-captian.
one of the great guys at duke
i love his hard work, which is never a surprise
i love seeing him score at least 1 basket each game, always kind of a surprise

Edouble
07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I think it's going to be Paulus and only Paulus, especially given last year's events regarding captaincy. Coach K said that the value of the position has been dilluted, which I had something to do with splitting up the position among so many co- and tri- captains.

mgtr
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
maybe david mcclure as a co-captian.
one of the great guys at duke
i love his hard work, which is never a surprise
i love seeing him score at least 1 basket each game, always kind of a surprise

I don't think he will be a co-captain, but I do agree with everything else in your post regarding McClure. I admire his ability to get rebounds among the trees. In that regard, I am reminded of Larry Bird, who was always in position to get rebounds, even though he was not the most athletic guy out there.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think he will be a co-captain, but I do agree with everything else in your post regarding McClure.

I think he will be named co-captain. When K recruited him, he said he expected him to be a captain his senior year. Now that he's stuck it out into his 5th year through all the injuries, I think K will be true to his word. Not that it was a firm promise or anything like that - more like motivation.

SilkyJ
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I think he will be named co-captain. When K recruited him, he said he expected him to be a captain his senior year. Now that he's stuck it out into his 5th year through all the injuries, I think K will be true to his word. Not that it was a firm promise or anything like that - more like motivation.

i think he will be a co-captain as well, but wouldnt be surprised if paulus starts out the year as the only captain and mcclure is named later...K has done that a few times, I know he did it with Lee Melch

Huh?
07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I nominate Olek.

Duvall
07-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I nominate Olek.

I can't believe you have so little faith in Czyz. From what I've read on this board, I expect him to be at least a Vice Admiral this year, maybe a Fleet Admiral.

Classof06
07-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Gotta be Paulus and I expect he'll be the only one. He's a senior, he's a point guard and he's been to hell and back in his Duke career. He drives me nuts at times but I can't see anyone else being Captain. He deserves it.

gep
07-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Gotta be Paulus and I expect he'll be the only one. He's a senior, he's a point guard and he's been to hell and back in his Duke career. He drives me nuts at times but I can't see anyone else being Captain. He deserves it.

Not only does he deserve it, I think, from what I've seen the last 3 years, he will be able to handle it very well... and I think Coach K trusts him to be that leader. But, I also think that if Dave shows signs of leadership (locker room, practice, bench), he may be named a co-captain later in the season, like Lee.:)

BlueintheFace
07-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Even last year Paulus was the vocal leader on the court. Demarcus led through example and the occasional verbal rebuke after timeouts, but Paulus ran the huddles most of the time. Plus, it's not like anybody on this board really believes that he won't be starting (even though some like Nolan over Paulus, Paulus is still one of the best players in the conference after three years and a returning ALL-ACC player)... What you ideally want in a captain is 1) a vocal/emotional leader,2) Somebody who leads through example (aka makes big plays when the team needs it), 3) a consistent player, and 4) a good enough player to be on the floor most of the game.

Paulus was all of these things last year and is now a Senior.

I am in agreement that the real question is whether or not Dave will be captain. He matches all of the criterion above except "on the floor most of the game." This hasn't been an insurmountable obstacle for past captains at Duke, but K really did talk a lot about how much better it was to have one captain. I'm not sure, but my guess is that he goes with Dave in the end... tough call but it's hard to argue he doesn't deserve it.

CameronCrazy'11
07-19-2008, 09:01 PM
I think this is right on the mark. Paulus just seems like such a natural leader. You can tell everyone respects him and it's hard to match his drive and competetiveness.

BLUEDEVILS
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree with Paulus as the captain and David McClure as the co-captain.

madscavenger
07-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

1) He has intensity and hates to lose.
2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
3) He has not only shown a willingness to take charge, but when to do so.
4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly.

BlueintheFace
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

1) He has intensity and hates to lose.
2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
3) He has not only shown a willingness to take charge, but when to do so.
4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly.

Scheyer will certainly be captain his senior year, but I think he will just have to wait. There is no way K has three captains again, and Dave McClure is simply in line before Scheyer. At Duke, Captaincy has almost always been primarily about seniority. Or as K has put it on multiple occasions in the last few years at meetings with the crazies--- our captains' primary roll in the past has been to "teach tradition to the younger players. So many of our players are leaders on the court, but our big problem the last couple of years (when the team was younger) is that we have not had anyone to teach tradition, so the coaching staff has had to do it."

It's not that Scheyer can't meet certain criteria for captain today, it's just that he's third in line with regards to K's most important standard.

Devilsfan
07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
From the "give Dave a chance" department. McClure atleast "hangs" with his teammates. Enough said.

Lavabe
07-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I can't believe you have so little faith in Czyz. From what I've read on this board, I expect him to be at least a Vice Admiral this year, maybe a Fleet Admiral.

In order to be All-ACC, 1st Team, Czyz needs to post 2501 times on the DBR.

How much does he need to post on the DBR to achieve Fleet Admiral?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

madscavenger
07-21-2008, 10:40 AM
"At Duke, Captaincy has almost always been primarily about seniority."

Almost is just that, almost. But there are other important factors involved.

"So many of our players are leaders on the court'

Lately, not really. The hallmark of our defense and offense has always (this time not almost) been communication. This is stressed all the time - its fundamental to our system. Most of our current and recent players have not taken that on, despite being urged to do so. To Scheyer, this comes naturally. Simply leading by doing is not enough in a system that has such a strong emphasis on communication. Superior performance, for us, demands it. So, i disagree. We have not had much true leadership recently.

"but our big problem the last couple of years (when the team was younger) is that we have not had anyone to teach tradition, so the coaching staff has had to do it."

Agreed. This goes directly to the point - we have not recently had anything close to the level of leadership that we are accustomed to and which we need to be at the top of the heap.

"It's not that Scheyer can't meet certain criteria for captain today, it's just that he's third in line with regards to K's most important standard."

I don't buy the "in line" argument and it is not, as i indicated, the only criterion considered. Remember, as recently as two years ago, Paulus (and IIRC McRoberts) were captains, while DeMarcus and McClure were not.

So, come the end of January we will actually know and will then have yet another piece of data to add for next year's banter. I go back to 1967 and its always been fun speculating during the offseason about this type of thing. Afterall, games are still aways off and we've got that jones demanding to be fed.

skitelz
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
"I don't buy the "in line" argument and it is not, as i indicated, the only criterion considered. Remember, as recently as two years ago, Paulus (and IIRC McRoberts) were captains, while DeMarcus and McClure were not.

So, come the end of January we will actually know and will then have yet another piece of data to add for next year's banter. I go back to 1967 and its always been fun speculating during the offseason about this type of thing. Afterall, games are still aways off and we've got that jones demanding to be fed.

are you sure?...i thought that there were three captains that year: markie, josh and greg. i know dave wasnt but i was almost positive markie was. the problem that year was that three captains was too many and none of them was doing what they were supposed to be doing.

my vote goes to greg for full-time captain with dave mcclure added later in the season, much like lee melch was in 2005. i think that if gerald doesnt leave after next year, he and jon will share captain duties as seniors.

BlueintheFace
07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't buy the "in line" argument and it is not, as i indicated, the only criterion considered. Remember, as recently as two years ago, Paulus (and IIRC McRoberts) were captains, while DeMarcus and McClure were not.

I don't mean to nitpick here, but this is kind of a BIG point. Demarcus actually was captain in the 2006/2007 season (as the most senior player who saw minutes) and McClure was out for the season with injury.

Plus, there MUST be some truth to the "in-line" argument because there have been plenty of times in the K era in which a Senior leader who taught tradition and values in the locker room but wasn't incredibly vocal or a leader in performance on the floor became captain over younger deserving players...

These are just a few names that pop into my mind-

Reggie Love
JD Simpson
Clay Buckley
Kenny Blakeney