PDA

View Full Version : Taylor King

speedevil
07-18-2008, 12:01 AM
geez, I forgot king transfered to villanova.

How much is duke going to miss his outside shooting?

Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, kyle "shane battier" singler, and smith, in that order.
henderson and pocious are inconsistant and not their strenghts
williams, plumlee, and czyz are unproven.
mcclure, thomas, and zoubek better not take a 3 point shot.

kramerbr
07-18-2008, 12:04 AM

How much is duke going to miss is outside shooting?

Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, and smith in that order.

Paulus was and still is their best outside shooter and don't forget a guy by the name of Kyle Singler.

RainingThrees
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
King played little to no minutes at the end of the season and when he did he missed most or all of his shots. With Singler not guarding the 5 all season long he should be more effective later in the season. unlike last year when he was beat up and went into a shooting slump.

Edouble
07-18-2008, 12:36 AM

About as much as we missed it this past season.

We did this thread two months ago, pretty much.

BlueintheFace
07-18-2008, 01:39 AM

Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, kyle "shane battier" singler, and smith, in that order.

Dude, Greg Paulus has his flaws, but he has been the best three point shooter in the ACC over the course of the last two years. Scheyer and Smith's percentages are pretty good and Singler hit quite a few clutch ones throughout last year... this is not something to be too worried about. Most teams wish they could have our outside shooting...

DevilDan
07-18-2008, 02:35 AM
This is an easy one: NADA.

I watched TK at Mater Dei HS out here in California. Unfortunately, he never appeared to grasp the necessity of developing a full court set of skills. As a prep player, he would shoot from 18 feet, until they defensed him. Then he shot from 20 feet, until they came out and guarded him. Then he shot from 22 feet, over shorter defenders. I talked a lot to my "agents in SoCal" and we agreed in the opinion that NCAA hoops at D1 level might be a quantum leap for him.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with the rest of his career at Villanova. His minutes this year at Duke might have been pretty negligible. Too bad things didn't work out here, best of luck to TK !

CameronCrazy'11
07-18-2008, 03:53 AM
King had potential and might have been a great player for us someday. Unfortunately his offense consisted entirely of hoisting up the ball as soon as he touched it. And his defense was sloooooooooooooooooooooow.

Bob Green
07-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I have a less critical view of the situation with Taylor King: he was a mismatch at Duke. He needs to play the "3" but every time he was on the court last season it was at the "4" or "5." TK's skills and Duke's needs were not aligned. As evidence I offer up Jumbo's excellent game charting statistics:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4862

I wish Taylor King the best of luck at Villanova.

Inonehand
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
King will be a great corporate rec league player some day unless he works on that body of his. If he wakes up and sees that he can be a player if he gets into shape, Villanova will be happy to have him. Duke will not miss him.

dukeimac
07-18-2008, 09:15 AM
If Tyler is going to be successful he needs to work on his speed and defense. From some of the pictures and videos I say of him in high school he was slimmer, which allowed him to move better. At Duke, he was too slow to play defense on other 3's and he didn't have the strength to play the 4. He had to shot quick so the defense couldn't get to him and he was too slow to get into the right spot, thus he got to the spot late which forced him to shot a quick, poor shot.

Just like Josh. He was not made for the 4 or 5. Even though he was tall and fit the height for a PF he showed early on he really didn't like body contact. That hasn't changed for him and he will struggle in the Pros because of that. I put Shav in the same group as Josh.

Gotta want to play defense and speed really helps.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
who is taylor king?

brevity
07-18-2008, 09:52 AM
We did this thread two months ago, pretty much.

And we'll do it again 2 months from now. It's a message board; repetition is a given.

jv001
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
In Taylor's mind he was a great player and even better shooter. Stats don't come close to backing him up.

Edouble
07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
And we'll do it again 2 months from now. It's a message board; repetition is a given.

It's one thing to repeat threads like "Favorite Duke Moment", "Most Underrated Player", "Dream Lineup", etc... those will always be repeated. The Taylor King thread really only needs to be done once. Maybe if a real impact player, like Singler, had transfered, it would be worth mulling over, but I am suprised to see Taylor King brought up again, especially given how the last thread on King was like a Duke Hoops watershed for most of the board. If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.

Jeffrey
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.

Hi,

A new season will bring many new members. Why shouldn't they get the opportunity to discuss this, and other repeated subjects, if they choose? After all, nobody here is being forced to discuss any of these matters more times than they desire.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

EarlJam
07-18-2008, 12:53 PM
It's one thing to repeat threads like "Favorite Duke Moment", "Most Underrated Player", "Dream Lineup", etc... those will always be repeated. The Taylor King thread really only needs to be done once. Maybe if a real impact player, like Singler, had transfered, it would be worth mulling over, but I am suprised to see Taylor King brought up again, especially given how the last thread on King was like a Duke Hoops watershed for most of the board. If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.

My question is: Will this be the season we FINALLY get over Osh Kosh Josh McRoberts leaving Duke?

Please. No more threads about............................him.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
07-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi,

A new season will bring many new members. Why shouldn't they get the opportunity to discuss this, and other repeated subjects, if they choose? After all, nobody here is being forced to discuss any of these matters more times than they desire.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

I agree with 99.9 percent of this thought. The barely visible, micro .1 percent of disagreement involves threads discussing the benefits/downsides of some tall guy that played at Duke and donned the jersey number that best described his leadership and team-embracement abilities.

-EarlJam

lazee
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Honest opinion/analysis needed....

When JJ came in as a freshman, what was really the difference between him & King that garnered JJ having more playing time? He played closed to 30 minutes and his defense was a work in progress, but Coach K trusted him to be on the floor in crunch time.

Classof06
07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Dude, Greg Paulus has his flaws, but he has been the best three point shooter in the ACC over the course of the last two years. Scheyer and Smith's percentages are pretty good and Singler hit quite a few clutch ones throughout last year... this is not something to be too worried about. Most teams wish they could have our outside shooting...

I agree with this. While I have some points of contention with Paulus, his 3 point shooting isn't one of them; he's a superb shooter. Scheyer and Singler are good 3-point shooters, Smith is servicable and Henderson is streaky but only going to get better.

Duke has no need to be worried about its outside shooting.

CameronCrazy'11
07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
In addition to this, Williams is supposed to be a good shooter, and Olek can hit the three as well. Pretty sure Miles has some outside game as well. Really, the only people who can't shoot the three are Lance, Zoubek, and McClure.

nicktonyg22
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't think there should be any concern about our perimeter shooting. That's what we lived and died by last season remember?!

Losing Markie (who shot 39% last year from 3) is a bigger loss than Taylor (who shot 38% and couldn't find a role on the defensive end).

I know that's only a 1% difference in 3pt shooting percentage, but if you are expecting a player to specialize in one thing, they should be better at it than anyone else to really make an impact.

The truth is that Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson and even Nolan shot better from 3pt land than Taylor did last year.

I know I digress, but if we are really going to be concerned about something, it shouldn't be our 3pt shooting. It should be rebounding. Markie, came within 1 rebound of being our leading rebounder.

The key is for whichever combination of players replaces his minutes per game to accumulate more than his 15 points and especially his 6 boards a game. If a combo of Zoubek, Czyz, Plumlee, E Williams and McClure can't do this, we will be in trouble.

DukeVu
07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't see why there is such animosity toward Taylor King. If you do not like him and do not wish to intelligently discuss the situation then just back off. It does not serve this board well for such negativity towards someone who is GONE. After all it was not King who bombed out in the Final home game with UNC, it was not King who did not show up for the ACC Tournament, and it certainly was not King who lost the NCAA game. After all, he wasn't allowed to play because he could not play defense, or rebound or shoot free throws. Well, then, it must have been someone else's shortcomings. GIVE HIM A REST!!

77devil
07-18-2008, 09:56 PM
There have been many Taylor King sightings in Philly this summer. Taylor's making the rounds off campus. I don't think we'll miss his outside shot at all.

Inonehand
07-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't see why there is such animosity toward Taylor King. If you do not like him and do not wish to intelligently discuss the situation then just back off. It does not serve this board well for such negativity towards someone who is GONE. After all it was not King who bombed out in the Final home game with UNC, it was not King who did not show up for the ACC Tournament, and it certainly was not King who lost the NCAA game. After all, he wasn't allowed to play because he could not play defense, or rebound or shoot free throws. Well, then, it must have been someone else's shortcomings. GIVE HIM A REST!!

I decided to read all the posts. I don't think anyone has shown any animosity toward Taylor. Maybe you're being too sensitive?

quickgtp
07-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Sounds like Taylor himself was responding to these posts!

Let's be real here; Taylor is not very athletic, he is a streaky shooter, and can't handle the ball very well. What will we miss from those attributes?

I do wish him the best of luck, but outside of long range shooting, he has a long way to go.

FireOgilvie
07-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Points per minute:

King - 0.564
Henderson - 0.486
Nelson - 0.470
Singler - 0.464
Scheyer - 0.412
Paulus - 0.409
Smith - 0.404
Zoubek - 0.363
Thomas - 0.229
McClure - 0.112

CameronCrazy'11
07-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Points per minute:

King - 0.564
Henderson - 0.486
Nelson - 0.470
Singler - 0.464
Scheyer - 0.412
Paulus - 0.409
Smith - 0.404
Zoubek - 0.363
Thomas - 0.229
McClure - 0.112

I was a little shocked by this statistic when I first saw it. King had only the 5th best 3pt%, 10th best FG%, and was 10th best points per shot. So how did he still manage to score the most points per minute? Simple, take a crapload of shots!

Field Goal Attempts per Minute:

King - 0.461
Henderson - 0.369
Singler - 0.358
Nelson - 0.334
Smith - 0.300
Paulus - 0.296
Scheyer - 0.269
Zoubek - 0.263
Thomas - 0.164
McClure - 0.119

This statistic basically confirms what we all knew anyway; Taylor was taking a bunch of difficult 3-point shots that he had no business taking. He needed to learn to pass the ball instead.

dukeimac
07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Stats are stats, you can make them into whatever you want.

I could be 100% from 3 point range and you could be 50%, does that make me a better shooter / player? Well if I'm 1 for 1 and you are 5 of 10, who do you want on your team? What if I'm 1 for 1 in 30 seconds and you are 5 of 10 in 100 minutes, who do you want on your team?

I'm more surprise that King gave Duke a verbal very early, I'm not sure he was even offered. He showed that he didn't play defense well early on and didn't get any better. Actually, IMO, he looked like he put on more weight as the season went on and got slower. The surprise comes that he really wanted to play for Duke but didn't buy into the Duke game, defense.

As I have said before, I wish King the best but to a good college player he will need to work on his defense and speed, what he needed to work on to be a Duke player.

Why he didn't want to stay at Duke and work on those things I don't know and I'm sure the Nova fans are hoping he'll get better at those things while there. The move just makes him look soft.

speedevil
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I was a little shocked by this statistic when I first saw it. King had only the 5th best 3pt%, 10th best FG%, and was 10th best points per shot. So how did he still manage to score the most points per minute? Simple, take a crapload of shots!

Field Goal Attempts per Minute:

King - 0.461
Henderson - 0.369
Singler - 0.358
Nelson - 0.334
Smith - 0.300
Paulus - 0.296
Scheyer - 0.269
Zoubek - 0.263
Thomas - 0.164
McClure - 0.119

This statistic basically confirms what we all knew anyway; Taylor was taking a bunch of difficult 3-point shots that he had no business taking. He needed to learn to pass the ball instead.

king is a shooter, a pretty damn good one. i think he just rushed his shot too much when he finally got into the game.

BLUEDEVILS
07-20-2008, 10:55 PM
^The only reason why he transferred was because he didnt play the defense K wanted him to and he also didnt get the minutes a top 30 player deserves. I dont fault K, but if he would've played more, he would still be here.

RainingThrees
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
its better that he left though to free up plumlee's scholarship.

Channing
06-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks to DBR for posting the article on the front page. It is very well written and is a stark reminder of the pressure we as fans and a society sometimes push on these teenagers. Some folks take to the pressure well, but some falter and crack. Despite my best efforts, I often have to remind myself that these are kids doing their best to represent their school, their family, and themselves.

I am glad to see that Taylor looks like he is back on the straight and narrow, and I think it would be great if he could somehow get himself a cup of coffee. His skill set would presumably translate very well in today's nba.

53n206
06-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Would be good to see Taylor succeed. Must have been tough to have been in the spotlight at that age. Expectations too high for some young guys. Tiger succeeded, until he thought he was invisible, or invincible- or both.