PDA

View Full Version : The Durable Eyes

EarlJam
07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
When we choose to rub our eyes, why do we (some of us) ball up our fists and rub them into our eyes, turning and churning them like a screwdriver?

I was doing this today and thought, "Golly, seems this could damage the eyes. Can't be the best thing for them."

Question for the med people out there: Can rubbing your eyes this way cause any damage? How about when you take the tips of your index fingers and press in the outer sides of your eyeballs?

EXPERIMENT: If you press the inner, upper sides of your eyeballs (at the top of the nose), it will create black circles in your peripheral (sp) vision. Cool.

Anyway, again, can rubbing and poking the eyeballs in such manner cause any long-term damage?

Secondary question: Why do we rub our eyes anyway? Does it do any good?

-EarlJam

Addendum: As we get older, do our eyes recede to the back of our skulls? Seems my eye sockets are deeper than they used to be sayyyyyyyyyyyy ten years ago. Am I just imagining this?

CameronBornAndBred
07-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I do not have the answer to your question, but I assume it's because it feels good to mush them through the back of your skull.
Your question made me think of a funny story though. On my graduation night, my parents and friends went to a crab house outside of DC. They have the butter and the crab seasoning, which one of my friends couldn't get enough of. I still remember laughing until I cried as he realized it was too late to quit rubbing his eyes, hands covered in paprika and pepper.

EarlJam
07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I do not have the answer to your question, but I assume it's because it feels good to mush them through the back of your skull.
Your question made me think of a funny story though. On my graduation night, my parents and friends went to a crab house outside of DC. They have the butter and the crab seasoning, which one of my friends couldn't get enough of. I still remember laughing until I cried as he realized it was too late to quit rubbing his eyes, hands covered in paprika and pepper.

That's awesome! How long did it take him to recover from that one?

DevilAlumna
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
On my graduation night, my parents and friends went to a crab house outside of DC. They have the butter and the crab seasoning, which one of my friends couldn't get enough of. I still remember laughing until I cried as he realized it was too late to quit rubbing his eyes, hands covered in paprika and pepper.

Ooh, was it The Quarterdeck, in Rosslyn? I so miss that place.... and nearly made the same mistake as your friend, on more than one occasion.

As for eyerubbing, we need to get Tecumseh on the thread.

UVaAmbassador
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Unfortunately, I have a similar story. One time, while making my special chili (which is very, very hot), my eyes started watering and I made the mistake of rubbing them with a combination of substances on my hands which is probably indistinguishable from chemical mace. Twenty minutes of rolling on the floor later...:o:o:o

I suppose its never a bad thing for us to be humbled once in a while...

2535Miles
07-17-2008, 10:16 PM
EXPERIMENT: If you press the inner, upper sides of your eyeballs (at the top of the nose), it will create black circles in your peripheral (sp) vision. Cool.
Yeah, that is really cool. If you move your finger up and down the little black circle (I'm guessing shadow of your finger tip) moves down and up in the opposite direction. Minutes and minutes of fun.

Secondary question: Why do we rub our eyes anyway? Does it do any good?
It does good for me, it makes my eyes feel better and that's enough for me.

captmojo
07-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Mine itch just thinkin' about 'em