PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings

italiancrazie
07-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Brandon Jennings will play for Virtus Roma, former Danny Ferry's team.
It will not be easy for him but it's a good challenge.
He will play in Euroleague against spanish Ricky Rubio who is projected to be the n° 1 pick in the 2010 nba draft. I am pretty sure that the showdown will be broadcasted by ESPN.
Since I am season tickets holder of Virtus Roma, I will be enjoying BJ passing skills alla season long.
To become an euroleague contender we need Dahntay Jones at the n° 3 spot.
D. Jones can play as a small forward in Europe and become the best small forward in the "old continent".

Jaymf7
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Very interesting. That ESPN showdown alone, assuming Jennings is getting PT, could be worth some good money to his new club. Any word on his contract? I heard they would likely do a multiyear deal to force an NBA buyout next year (more incentive to the Euro team).

gotham devil
07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Very interesting. That ESPN showdown alone, assuming Jennings is getting PT, could be worth some good money to his new club. Any word on his contract? I heard they would likely do a multiyear deal to force an NBA buyout next year (more incentive to the Euro team).

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/07/17/anatomy-of-the-brandon-jennings-deal/

Jaymf7
07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
$600K for the first year of a three year deal, with dollars going up each year. That is huge money for an untested 18 year old. Some analysts thought he'd get about $100K, but that really did not account for the buy-out the Euro team gets if the NBA comes calling. This could be the first step in getting a higher NBA age limit.

Indoor66
07-17-2008, 04:01 PM
$600K for the first year of a three year deal, with dollars going up each year. That is huge money for an untested 18 year old. Some analysts thought he'd get about $100K, but that really did not account for the buy-out the Euro team gets if the NBA comes calling. This could be the first step in getting a higher NBA age limit.

I don't disagree on the changing of the NBA age limit but it may also price Jennings out of the NBA in favor of others with "potential" that are not burdened by a buyout. It could cut either way.

Billy Dat
07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
With globalization assuring these guys that they will be able to get McDonalds wherever they land, I wonder if they won't start skipping out on their high school degrees. Jennings will have it tough because he's a trailblazer, but if more of them start doing the same and a teenage expat community develops, watch out.

JasonEvans
07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Here is (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/sports/basketball/17hoops.html) a decent article on all this from the NYTimes.

I agree that if Jennings succeeds that this may be the start of a small trend. There are not all that many kids who would be good enough to make this work, so it is not a large trend.

I like it as it will likely force the league to make some changes to the way the draft works and the relationship with the NCAA. I am eager for basketball to adopt the baseball model.

--Jason "good luck to Brandon, he is courageous" Evans

SilkyJ
07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
With globalization assuring these guys that they will be able to get McDonalds wherever they land, I wonder if they won't start skipping out on their high school degrees. Jennings will have it tough because he's a trailblazer, but if more of them start doing the same and a teenage expat community develops, watch out.

WOW. just WOW. hadn't even thought about that. But now that I have, it totally wouldn't surprise me to see that happen in 5 years.

SilkyJ
07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
on another note, I didn't realize how tight BJ was with Sonny Vacarro. Anyone know the extent of the relationship? It sounded like he had an attorney doing the negotiations, which is obviously what an agent would do, so what value was Sonny adding? It sounded like he may have been providing introductions to the Euro teams or something, which is also kind of what an agent would do...

jacone21
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Sounds like BJ has his head on straight and is going about it the right way. I could think of worse things than spending a season in Rome with my mom and brother, playing hoops, earning 600K, and getting ready for the NBA.

shadowfax336
07-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Indoor 66 are you kidding? he's not getting priced out of the NBA. The guy is a really really good ballplayer. Its not like this is some late 1st round pick we're talking about. He'll be a lottery pick. Teams will always pay for talent, and how do you have more upside than a really athletic 18 year old PG with speed exactly? (Outside of being a 7' athlete with no real skills)

Clipsfan
07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
One thing I haven't seen is whether he passed on the third SAT test he took. I know he failed the first one miserable and was flagged on the second for showing immense improvement (as in someone else may have taken it). However, the third test results were supposedly received at least a week ago and no mention was made. Sonny mentioned the first two in the linked article, but not the third, which makes me think he failed.

speedevil
07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Brandon Jennings will play for Virtus Roma, former Danny Ferry's team.
It will not be easy for him but it's a good challenge.
He will play in Euroleague against spanish Ricky Rubio who is projected to be the n° 1 pick in the 2010 nba draft. I am pretty sure that the showdown will be broadcasted by ESPN.
Since I am season tickets holder of Virtus Roma, I will be enjoying BJ passing skills alla season long.
To become an euroleague contender we need Dahntay Jones at the n° 3 spot.
D. Jones can play as a small forward in Europe and become the best small forward in the "old continent".

I am absolutely proud of brandon jennings to take the challenge to play over seas and get paid. He should not have to go to college if he doesnt want to. College is an option for those who want to go. Jennings wants to be a professional and be paid. He should have ever right to go straight to the NBA. I hate the current 1 year rule. I think it hurts college basketball even more.

Bob Green
07-18-2008, 07:43 AM
One thing I haven't seen is whether he passed on the third SAT test he took. I know he failed the first one miserable and was flagged on the second for showing immense improvement (as in someone else may have taken it). However, the third test results were supposedly received at least a week ago and no mention was made. Sonny mentioned the first two in the linked article, but not the third, which makes me think he failed.

The real loser in this whole scenario might be Oak Hill Academy.

hc5duke
11-03-2009, 11:49 PM
pretty good start (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArpWM0ir0eAjl7OUB66Nh8y8vLYF?slug=dw-jenningsbucks110209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

In his first career NBA game, Brandon Jennings of the Milwaukee Bucks scored 17 points, grabbed nine rebounds and handed out nine assists. He was within a couple plays of joining Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson as the only players to ever record a triple-double in their NBA debut.

The next night, in leading the Bucks to victory, Jennings led the team in scoring with 24 points. On Tuesday, he delivered 25 more as the Bucks’ leading scorer in an 83-81 loss to Chicago... [H]e owns one of the best starts to an NBA career … ever.

Also features a quote from Coach K:

“Not every kid needs to go to college,” said Duke and U.S. Olympic team coach Mike Krzyzewski. “Not just sports, in life. I think it’s a very arrogant thing to think that.”

hc5duke
11-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Jennings scores 55, leads Bucks past Warriors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009111415)

55! on 21-34 shooting no less.

speedevil2001
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Jennings scores 55, leads Bucks past Warriors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009111415)

55! on 21-34 shooting no less.

wow thats a great percentage!!!

05/18/2005
11-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Amazing game for him, but lol it was against the warriors D.

FireOgilvie
11-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Jennings shot 7/8 on three pointers! He has a very strange leg kick that he does when he shoots, but it was definitely working for him tonight.

I feel like no one really saw the magnitude of Brandon Jennings' initial success coming, especially after the reports that he was struggling in Europe. I saw Brandon play in high school with Nolan Smith and then the next season when he was averaging an insane amount of points and I am still shocked at how well he has done. I hope he keeps it up; it's been fun to watch.

Also, John Wall has always reminded me of Brandon Jennings. It's probably their body types, but there are many other similarities. It will be interesting to see how John Wall, who is actually slightly quicker than Jennings, does in college and then the NBA, especially if he develops his outside shot.

hc5duke
11-15-2009, 01:58 AM
wow thats a great percentage!!!

The recap says he started the game 1-of-7, meaning he finished the game 20-of-27. He was 3 points shy of the NBA rookie record (Wilt), and 2 points shy of the Bucks franchise record (Michael Redd) - Redd, Jennings, and "Lew Alcindor" are also the only Bucks players to have scored more than 50 points in a game. I gotta find out when the next televised Bucks game is.

crote
11-15-2009, 02:28 AM
I saw Jennings play in Cameron during an AAU tourney (Bob Gibbons?) in the summer of 2006. My friends and I went to see Taylor King and Kevin Love, who were his teammates, but after the game all we wanted to know was who the heck was that point guard. He stole the show even as an underclassman on a stacked AAU squad.

Edouble
11-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I saw Jennings play in Cameron during an AAU tourney (Bob Gibbons?) in the summer of 2006. My friends and I went to see Taylor King and Kevin Love, who were his teammates, but after the game all we wanted to know was who the heck was that point guard. He stole the show even as an underclassman on a stacked AAU squad.

Not to dispute your eye for talent, but stealing the show away from Talyor King and Kevin Love doesn't seem like such a tall order. ;)

Bob Green
11-15-2009, 03:15 AM
What I find interesting is that Jennings struggled to earn playing time in Europe last year and now he is lighting up the NBA. I'm sure there is a message here...

hc5duke
11-15-2009, 03:39 AM
What I find interesting is that Jennings struggled to earn playing time in Europe last year and now he is lighting up the NBA. I'm sure there is a message here...

Yeah, if I were the owner of the Italian team I'd want to fire the coach right about now.

jma4life
11-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Jennings is making me look good right now, as I actually predicted that he'd be better than Rubio. Obviously, we're only seeing half of the comparison, but if Rubio can top Jennings, well, its not for lack of talent on the part of Jennings.

devildownunder
11-15-2009, 07:38 AM

and what would that message be?

weezie
11-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Defense, clap-clap, defense, clap-clap.

dukelifer
11-15-2009, 09:57 AM

The message is that Pro hoops in Europe is much different than the USA. If Jennings is on the Olympic team- he would look ordinary against the defenses that they play.

tysi1521
11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh61/tysi1521/temp/DSC_0464.jpg

hc5duke
11-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Is that some sort of a faux-hawk, or is he part pachycephalosaurus?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w0vYv60BUvk/Sj7j-dY8dAI/AAAAAAAAANI/E3POctA3BcE/s320/pachycephalosaurus.jpg

tallguy
11-15-2009, 01:08 PM
The message is that Pro hoops in Europe is much different than the USA. If Jennings is on the Olympic team- he would look ordinary against the defenses that they play.

Or that spending a year where you aren't coddled and you practice all day is more beneficial for a career as a professional basketball team than going to college for one year where you have limited practice time, you're coddled the second you get onto campus, and your ego is constantly stroked by your classmates and coaches.

RoyalBlue08
11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I hope that Jenning's rookie year is going to lead to more "one and done" type players that have no academic interest in college taking this route. IMO, this would be make college basketball far more enjoyable. Maybe I'm just old school, but I long for the days where college basketball players actually went to college. And you got to see them play and develop for 4 years.

theAlaskanBear
11-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I hope that Jenning's rookie year is going to lead to more "one and done" type players that have no academic interest in college taking this route. IMO, this would be make college basketball far more enjoyable. Maybe I'm just old school, but I long for the days where college basketball players actually went to college. And you got to see them play and develop for 4 years.

I really like the system that baseball has set up: you can get drafted out of high school, OR you can go to school, and you have to stay for at least three years.

I understand why the NBA wants to limit high school players coming in...they dont want to waste roster space or money developing players that wont be good until 3-4 years down the road. But at the same time, do you keep players like LeBron, Kobe, and KG out of the league by forcing them to school?

Without a true "farm system" like baseball....which the NBDL is supposed to serve the role of (but has only seen limited success) I think the NBA should encourage players with no interest in school to go to europe, rather than 1-and-done the college system. They get payed, and they improve their game. Plus it definitely would build a lot of character...

Bob Green
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM

They play good basketball in Europe.

European teams are improving which is one of the reasons the United States has struggled in International competition. If we are going to repeat the success achieved in Beijing, it will once again take a commitment from our best players.

tysi1521
11-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I think it's just called...style.

Is that some sort of a faux-hawk, or is he part pachycephalosaurus?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w0vYv60BUvk/Sj7j-dY8dAI/AAAAAAAAANI/E3POctA3BcE/s320/pachycephalosaurus.jpg

darthur
11-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Defense, clap-clap, defense, clap-clap.

It's worth pointing out that there are many European prospects who've made it to the NBA. None of them are known as great defenders, and a good chunk of them are known as very bad defenders. Recently, a friend was also telling me that in the Euroleagues, it is not uncommon to immediately foul at the end of the game even if you are UP 1 point because teams average more than 1 point a possession. The Euroleagues are good but I do not believe for a second that they play better defense there than in the NBA, let alone different enough to account for a 5-10ppg player starting to have 50 point games.

To me, this smacks of (a) great development on Jennings part, (b) awful coaching in Europe, and (c) very different styles of play all around.

NBA defense is much, much better than college fans care to admit. Remember how good Morrison was in college? He got every chance in the world to succeed in the NBA and just could not handle NBA defenders.

NSDukeFan
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM
They play good basketball in Europe.

European teams are improving which is one of the reasons the United States has struggled in International competition. If we are going to repeat the success achieved in Beijing, it will once again take a commitment from our best players.

Do you know of any coaches that may be able to get this type of commitment and buy-in from the best players?

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Do you know of any coaches that may be able to get this type of commitment and buy-in from the best players?

Don't speak too soon. K doesn't have a commitment from either LJB or Wade for the summer of 2010 yet.

devildownunder
11-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Or that spending a year where you aren't coddled and you practice all day is more beneficial for a career as a professional basketball team than going to college for one year where you have limited practice time, you're coddled the second you get onto campus, and your ego is constantly stroked by your classmates and coaches.

Yeah, I think this is more the message. I think people pretty much acknowledge that they play good ball in Europe these days already, well, except stubborn people -- and there may be a large contingent of those, for sure.

Bob, and everybody really, would you put european elite leagues in between us college and the nba for quality of play? Not style or rules, mind you, but actual talent/skill level on display.