PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight - Review AND SPOILERS!

JasonEvans
07-17-2008, 12:53 AM
First of all... wow. What a powerful film. It is unrelenting. It is almost hard to say watching it is an enjoyable experience because it is so intense. You are utterly captivated by the story and cannot be torn away from it. Christopher Nolan is a bold director to have attempted something this dark and challenging to the audience. I mean, he could have probably come up with a half a dozen other "easy outs" for his story that would have still made gobs of money. But, he chose a path less traveled and we, the moviegoing public, are the better for it.

This is, in many ways, totally unlike other comic book movies because it is so dark. I cannot stress that enough. Comparing it to Spiderman or Iron Man or most other "hero" movies is a difficult task. Even the second XMen film, which was also very dark, does not compare to this film in terms of the ride it takes the audience upon. There is no humor (well, one scene with a pencil is funny, but in a gruesome way). There are barely any light moments. Gotham is a city struggling to be good, but torn apart by its bad side and that is the theme of the movie.

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/4381/2871/lo/dark_knight_18.jpg

The acting, as you have already heard from other reviews, is very strong. Heath Ledger steals the film and is the dominant character. I am sure they will put him up for Supporting Actor, but he was darn close to being the lead here. Christian Bale doesn't do all that much more with Batman/Bruce Wayne than he did in the first film. He's fine, but nothing too special. Sometimes, his angst seems overblown. The supporting cast is ridiculously talented with "name" actors all over the place, sometimes in tiny roles. I mean, William Fichtner shows up for the first five minutes and then is gone. He has maybe 4 lines. Cillian Murphy is back for a tiny appearance. Aaron Eckhardt as Harvey Dent and Gary Oldman as Lt. Gordon are both very big characters in this film and they do a nice job.

I am going to issue some caveats. The plot is somewhat confusing at times and struggles towards the ending. I am not sure why henchmen working for the Joker would go along with some of his plans. Harvey Dent's character takes a turn that is never explained to my satisfaction. The movie is long (2 hours, 20 minutes) and it feels like it wants to end a couple times before it does. I can't say much more without giving stuff away but there were parts of the final hour of the film that I think could have been done differently. Still, it is a complex and compelling story and one well worth watching. There were a few surprises along the way that I really enjoyed. One scene in particular, involving a pair of ferry boats, really did not turn out how I expected. When all of us who saw the film were discussing it afterwords, we each had a different theory about how the ferry scene would end and we were all wrong. That is kinda cool.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1184851/photo_45_hires.jpg

The visual effects are magnificent and the action scenes are wonderfully done -- and they are not overdone, in my opinion... which is a nice change from most summer films. The makeup on Heath Ledger is stunning and one character undergoes a change late in the film that is a masterpiece of visual effects and a fabulous tribute to a comic book icon. You'll know it when you see it.

This is not a "date movie" because it is so uncompromisingly dark. My wife appreciated it and said she was glad to have seen it, but she did not love it. My 11-year-old son really liked it though he found some parts a bit tough to handle and he was confused at times. He and his friend we took really liked the movie and agreed it had some truly memorable scenes that they could nto stop talking about. I think kids younger than 10 or 11 are quite likely to be spooked by this film. We did not take my 8-year-old and I think that was a very wise decision.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1184851/photo_39_hires.jpg

It is late and I have to run-- I will likely have more comments in coming days and am eager to see what the rest of you think. I look forward to discussions about the story and why some things happened-- but those are conversations to be had after you have seen the movie yourself so I do not spoil anything.

--Jason "I usually read over my reviews to alter/edit/add/subtract -- too late to do that here. Hope it is ok" Evans

bjornolf
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Jason. Awesome review as usual.

Is it darker than the first two batman movies? Is it darker than, say, Donnie Darko or Dark City or Sin City?

JasonEvans
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Jason. Awesome review as usual.

Is it darker than the first two batman movies? Is it darker than, say, Donnie Darko or Dark City or Sin City?

It has been ages, decade plus, since I saw Dark City or the second Batman film so I am not gonna compare it to either of them.

I consider this far darker than Sin City, which had a lot of humor and was so over-the-top noir that it did not feel anything like reality. I also think it is darker than the original Batman film, which also had more than a few moments of comic relief and absurdity from Nicholson's Joker. Health Ledger's Joker is far more evil, it ain't even close. Also, that film did not provide nearly as much tragedy and angst for its Batman lead. In this movie, Batman is very troubled, almost tortured, as he tries to figure out how to stop the Joker. The ending of this film is much, much darker than anything in any of the earlier Batman films.

As for Donnie Darko, whew, that is a tough one. Darko ends with its main character choosing death for himself rather than hurting so many others, which is a very dark ending. Still, Donnie Darko has more light moments along the way and is not nearly as intense as this film.

--Jason "eager to see what others think starting tonight!" Evans

bjornolf
07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's a good one. I thought Black Dahlia was pretty good and dark at the same time.

Sorry, I'm done

darthur
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Well I won't get a chance to see Batman for a few days probably, but I did check out the Watchmen trailer that goes with it. It looked pretty solid to me too. Not sure how many of you guys know the book, but it is often considered to be both the darkest and the most thought-provoking graphic novel ever written. I will be very interested to see how it ends up getting received. Anyone who finds the Dark Knight too serious for a comic book movie will probably choke on Watchmen!

So now I have two superhero movies to look forward to. The more the merrier!

DukeDude
07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
17 out of 35 reviewers gave it a 100 on metacritic, but the film is only rated an 82 overall. I'd say that it is polarizing. I can't wait to see it.

JasonEvans
07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh, seeing as some folks asked about this a while back, my estimate for its opening weekend is a $119 million, which would be a huge number (though not quite at Spiderman or Pirates level) especially for a non-holiday weekend.

-Jason "so, who went to one of the 3am or 5am showings last night?" Evans

Clipsfan
07-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh, seeing as some folks asked about this a while back, my estimate for its opening weekend is a $119 million, which would be a huge number (though not quite at Spiderman or Pirates level) especially for a non-holiday weekend.

I didn't, but one of my coworkers was at the theater until around 3:30 (1 AM showing). I don't expect her to get much done today.

blublood
07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Mr. blublood and I are going to night - so excited! *And* we have a babysitter.
I'll post my view of it probably Monday. Since the "darker" a film is, the more I generally hate it, I'll be interested to see if the innate coolness of Batman and Christian Bale can overcome this.

Udaman
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Just saw it.

Yes, it might have been a bit too long. No, it wasn't 100% perfect - the transformation of ... was a bit sudden, at times the dialogue was hard to follow, it had really three separate endings.....

But those are minor points distracting from the best movie of the summer, which is what this movie was. Heath Ledger is simply amazing in this. He IS The Joker. He manifested all that was evil in The Dark Knight Returns version of the Joker, and still added his own personal touch. He should be an absolute lock to be nominated for an Academy Award, and really, his character was better than Bardin's winning role in No Country. Every scene he is in he dominates. You literally can't take your eyes off of him.

Major props as well to the screenplay, because the speeches from The Joker really are the window into the soul of this movie (and Gotham). Also, there were numerous scenes where things did not happen according to plan - one of which made sense afterwards (with Harvey and Rachel in the warehouses), and the other was just really cool (with the boats).

The action scenes were great. The acting was great. Just a powerful, powerful film. It should be nominated for Best Picture (but likely won't be). I will definitely see it again.

Olympic Fan
07-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Just saw a CNN update on the movie opening ... it's apparently breaking sales records for a first day film everywhere. Theaters are adding special showings at 6 a.m. and at 1 a.m (they didn't mention 5 a.m. or 3 a.m.). Not sure, but I think they said its opening at more threaters than any film in history (something like 4,600 screens).

Fandango, the largest on-line ticket seller, has already declared the Dark Knight as its highest selling opening -- they have no on-line tickets unsold before Monday.

I don't know what that will translate to for the first weekend ... it will be interesting to see Monday's numbers. But with this kind of start, it's pretty certain that it will push Iron Man and Indiana Jones (in a virtual dead heat) for this summer's top box office hit.

rockymtn devil
07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Just saw it. Some thoughts.

The movie is excellent. It is the best comic book movie I can recall, but framing it as such isn't fair to the movie. It doesn't strive to be a comic book movie and, ultimately, it isn't. If you take away the comic book elements of X-Men, you're left with a boring movie about social acceptance of the "others". If you take away the comic book elements of Spiderman, you're left with a bad movie about a geeky kid trying to score with a girl out of his league. If you take the comic book out of The Dark Knight, you're left with The Departed, LA Confidential, Heat, or whatever great crime drama you want to insert.

The Joker character is great both because Ledger is fantastic (he is Alex from A Clockwork Orange) and because of the writing. The Joker is both sadistic and brilliant. He's also funny, but in a very uncomfortable sort of way. Every scene of the movie--no matter if he's in it--is driven by Ledger's Joker. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that I loved that the script allowed The Joker to be defined solely by his actions on the screen.

I'll also give the obligatory--if not reductive--idea that this movie presents Gotham City as post 9/11 America (sometimes subtly; sometimes not). The theme can be boiled down to what we're willing to let fear drive us to do. Now, before groaning that it's a "message" movie, know that the film doesn't take sides, and the question of who is who in the post 9/11 analogy isn't clear.

Go see it very soon. It's that good.

p.s. There is one scene in this movie that truly stole the show and will, IMO, go down as the definitive scene from it. I'll be interested to see if others felt the same way, but I'll wait to discuss it until more have seen the movie.

Matches
07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
p.s. There is one scene in this movie that truly stole the show and will, IMO, go down as the definitive scene from it. I'll be interested to see if others felt the same way, but I'll wait to discuss it until more have seen the movie.

Hiding the pencil?

mph
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I just got back from the movie and it was excellent. Jason's review is dead-on with the very minor exception that I didn't find the plot confusing. I do, however, agree that the plot gets lost in the action near the end. Still, the action sequences were good enough to keep me from minding too much.

I approached the movie with a small dose of skepticism regarding the hype over Ledger's performance, thinking that at least some of the praise was sentimentality. I was wrong. As others have posted, he absolutely made the film and I would be surprised if he's not nominated for supporting actor.

bbar7502
07-18-2008, 09:59 PM
too many great scenes to talk about, but def. best comic movie ever. I am the biggest batman fan and even I was skeptical of all the hype but it exceeded it. plus got excited for the other bale movie.....Terminator 4! just hearing the music gets me pumped.

JasonEvans
07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Now that people have seen it... which is better:

The pencil magic trick
What the big black convict on the ferry did
What Batman said/did after Salvatore (Eric Roberts) said, "you're not going to kill me"
The joker's plan to escape the prison
Other

--Jason "I vote for the pencil" Evans

mph
07-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Me too.

watzone
07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Holy Bat Bucks!

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b147111_dark_knights_record_midnight_madness.html

rockymtn devil
07-18-2008, 11:14 PM

The pencil magic trick
What Batman said/did after Salvatore (Eric Roberts) said, "you're not going to kill me"
Other

I loved the line after "you're not going to kill me" (ultimate bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! line) but I have to go with other. Perhaps I over-estimated the impact of the scene, but I thought the interrogation was the best scene in the movie. The interplay between Batman and the Joker was great and it had me at the edge of my seat more than any other.

CameronBornAndBred
07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

The pencil magic trick
Other

typing with my eyes closed, not everyone has seen it

blazindw
07-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Wow...simply wow. Every word of hype written about this movie was 100% real. What a great movie. Heath Ledger should not only get an Oscar nomination, he should run away with the award, IMO. It was a dark film, but the suspense never let up. Someone else mentioned it earlier, but although this movie probably won't get Best Picture nominations, it definitely should. Hands down, best movie I've seen in a long while.

P.S. The pencil magic trick
P.P.S. Terminator 4 baby! Are you serious!

NashvilleDevil
07-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Saw it the IMAX in Nashville. I saw it at 12:20 and it was sold out. I think all of the IMAX showings were sold out here. I think everything has been said about this movie. I am going to wait until others have had a chance to see it before I talk about any scenes.

This puts Batman Begins to shame and that was a tremendous flick.

I just checked the imdb rating and it is #3 in the top 250. Of course this is after 7,000+ votes but I still had to see the ranking.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Just saw it...

I don't think it was that incredible... but it was very entertaining. I could see most everything coming... the music and the lighting added a lot of effect and suspense to the movie that the script simply could not. The story definatly turned into complete distortion to make room for the action. I give it 7.5. Ledger was absolutely revolutionary in his role.

However, Bales 'batman' voice sounded like something you would here on a playground.

AtlBluRew
07-19-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm among those who were blown away. It truly lived up to the hype. Yes it was a little long but I can't think of any one scene I would have shortened or left out. Maybe a chase scene, but you have to have those in films of this genre. I look forward to seeing the movie again.

blazindw
07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Adam Graham of the Detroit News predicted that DK would bring in $167,497,388 this weekend. This was before they released the box office figures of the midnight showings. If they made $18.5 million just off the midnight showings, and they can break Spidey 3's single-day record, a $160-170 million weekend isn't out of the question, given that most showings have been sold out. In fact, Fandango reported earlier 94% of people buying tickets on their website was for DK. I have a feeling that Aquaman, Jack Sparrow and Spiderman are all going down.

blazindw
07-19-2008, 05:12 PM
$66 million after Day 1, biggest 1-day and opening day haul ever. More than 1/3 of the way to $151.1 million and Spidey 3. Passed by a theater this morning, and a line for DK was a block long. No joke. Spidey better get ready for some company.

UVaAmbassador
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I echo the praise of others for this movie.

First, I too approached this movie with a fair bit of skepticism about Ledger's performance, given the hype. I was totally blown away. It reminded me a bunch of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. Ledger managed to portray a character who was pure evil, but simultaneously captivating. You can't look away. Like a car wreck you're repulsed but can't take your eyes off of him.

I feel bad for Bale. The guy gave a rock solid performance, but he's getting no credit because of the inevitable comparison to Ledger. Obviously, Bale doesn't carry the movie, but I just can't believe the reviews which characterize his performance as an anchor dragging down the movie. He does an excellent job portraying the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. As for Batman, its so hard to deliver a great acting performance when you're covered head to toe in a constume and you're primarily involved in action sequences. Can't see facial expressions, minimal opportunity for powerful scenes, etc. Nonetheless, he does a really great job.

While I did get the general feeling the movie was running long, as I watched the movie, even with this impression in mind, I couldn't identify any particular scene that should have been cut. Just a necessity I guess.

While it won't happen, there should at least be discussion of a best directing nod for the film. Great job integrating the action scenes (which were freakin' awesome btw, I mean, the motorcycle flip, the tractor trailor, etc.) without causing them to overwhelm the movie or take away from the plot, character development, etc.

I also appreciate that it was a thinking movie. It presents some very interesting ethical dilemmas without putting them right in your face or getting preachy.

This may be a rare first day DVD purchase for me.

JasonEvans
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Dude-- which scene?

As an aside, my list of great scenes were, I think, spoiler free. They certainly do not tell you anything of even minor substance about what happens in the movie other than there is a pencil, a ferry, and that Batman confronts one of the bad guys. Is that a spoiler?

--Jason "sorry if I gave anything away tho!" Evansa

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-20-2008, 06:56 AM
I echo the praise of others for this movie.

First, I too approached this movie with a fair bit of skepticism about Ledger's performance, given the hype. I was totally blown away. It reminded me a bunch of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. Ledger managed to portray a character who was pure evil, but simultaneously captivating. You can't look away. Like a car wreck you're repulsed but can't take your eyes off of him.

I feel bad for Bale. The guy gave a rock solid performance, but he's getting no credit because of the inevitable comparison to Ledger. Obviously, Bale doesn't carry the movie, but I just can't believe the reviews which characterize his performance as an anchor dragging down the movie. He does an excellent job portraying the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne. As for Batman, its so hard to deliver a great acting performance when you're covered head to toe in a constume and you're primarily involved in action sequences. Can't see facial expressions, minimal opportunity for powerful scenes, etc. Nonetheless, he does a really great job.

While I did get the general feeling the movie was running long, as I watched the movie, even with this impression in mind, I couldn't identify any particular scene that should have been cut. Just a necessity I guess.

While it won't happen, there should at least be discussion of a best directing nod for the film. Great job integrating the action scenes (which were freakin' awesome btw, I mean, the motorcycle flip, the tractor trailor, etc.) without causing them to overwhelm the movie or take away from the plot, character development, etc.

I also appreciate that it was a thinking movie. It presents some very interesting ethical dilemmas without putting them right in your face or getting preachy.

This may be a rare first day DVD purchase for me.

Maybe best director of the year.... but even in this... Christopher Nolan dosn't do 1/4 the job Peter Jackson does in the worst LOR film (Even King Kong is better directed). You can argue they are different... but still, not even close... imdb's dark knight rating is so over rated.

Yes Ledger delivered a legendary performance... but I think ultimately his death made Nolan and Co. millions upon millions more than if he were still alive. It's a tragedy that worked in the favor of the guys with the pockets. If Ledger would not have died... hmm... It gets people emotionally drawn to his acting before they even go see it... people are so intriged knowing he apparently died from the trauma of playing the joker.. But hey, I think it may have people actually notice how hard it can be to act...

Ledger gets a 10 and a half on his role, but lets be real... The rest of the movie is a 7 at best. The action is great but there are so many loose ends and plot holes... if it was on purpose to leave you hanging it'd be one thing... but its not even close to being purposely done.

UVaAmbassador
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Ledger gets a 10 and a half on his role, but lets be real... The rest of the movie is a 7 at best. The action is great but there are so many loose ends and plot holes... if it was on purpose to leave you hanging it'd be one thing... but its not even close to being purposely done.

A reasonable differing opinion, but could you elaborate about what you consider loose ends or plot holes?

blazindw
07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Move over, Spidey:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/20/dark.knight.ap/index.html

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Finally saw it and it was everything I'd hoped for. Some of the major plot points really caught me off guard, so I was happy to still be surprised after reading so much about it.
If I taught an ethics class, I'd be tempted to show lots of scenes in this movie and let the class give their reactions and ask how they'd behave in similar situations.
Also, I thought the movie had plenty of light hearted humorous moments, and from reading others comments had not expected many at all. All in all a very well done and acted movie, I'll be adding it to my DVD collection when it comes out.

dkbaseball
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Saw it. Liked it fairly well. Tour de force by Ledger, and IMO Bale is by far the best Batman, perfect for the role. But is it just me, or is anybody else noticing that in almost all movies these days the plot is pretty much an afterthought, something that very little care is taken with? I can't remember the last movie where I didn't have some trouble following the plot, or cared any about how it turned out. Will we ever see another Chinatown, or is story line something that the new generation of script writers just aren't going to bother themselves about much?

darthur
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Saw it. Liked it fairly well. Tour de force by Ledger, and IMO Bale is by far the best Batman, perfect for the role. But is it just me, or is anybody else noticing that in almost all movies these days the plot is pretty much an afterthought, something that very little care is taken with? I can't remember the last movie where I didn't have some trouble following the plot, or cared any about how it turned out. Will we ever see another Chinatown, or is story line something that the new generation of script writers just aren't going to bother themselves about much?

If a plot is confusing, that doesn't mean it's an afterthought. Complicated plots are just the style that's popular right now. And since you mention Chinatown, the plot there was pretty complicated too.

I suspect it's a generational thing. People always find the easiest movies to relate to (and thus to care about) the ones they grow up with.

Udaman
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
One really cool part of this movie were the number of just really well done scenes. Heck, Batman stealing the guy from Hong Kong seems pretty mild, and in a vacuum that was really, really awesome. Personally, I liked:

Pencil Scene
The Joker with the guy who put the bounty on his head (and the first story about his scar)
When The Joker Kills the Judge and the Commish
The Joker at the fundraiser for Harvey (and the second story about his scar)
Batman with the mob guy at the club
The Funeral (loved how The Joker guessed that Batman would find the fingerprint and set him up for it)
The Chase underground
Batman interrogating The Joker in the cell
The Joker in the jail cell, and his one phone call
Dent and Rachel tied up (and how again, The Joker played Batman - something he should have seen coming)
The Joker with Dent at the hospital
The people on the boats
Batman in the building at the end, and his confrontation with The Joker (while he hung upside down). Loved how he was going to tell him how he got his scars.
Dent and Gordon at the end

I mean seriously - this movie was one great moment after another. Honestly, the scene I liked least was the opening bank robbery, and it was still pretty damn cool.

Also, Heath's mannerisms as The Joker were simply amazing. I can't wait to go watch it again, just to focus on the various things he did.

blublood
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
O.k., I'll be Negative Nancy - I did not like this movie at all. I realize that part of this is because it is very much written and directed as a guy's movie and is not designed to have much appeal to women, but it was really just not a good experience. It's like if you meet an old friend for a beer and expect to catch up with each other and go out to have a good time, and instead all she/he wants to do is drink beer and talk about is deep philosophical truths.

Heath Ledger is the only element that made it watchable for me. He is an absolute freak in this role. You can see why he reportedly had trouble separating himself from the psychotically depraved clown while filming - he is just that good.

Other than that, stuff blows up, crap crashes into other crap, Batman has some neat toys, Harvey Dent is "the best of us all" (and did we really have to hear that or variations of it in every single scene he was in? Enough already. We get it - he's a flawed, man-made hero), people get kidnapped, can Gotham save itself if it continues to bite the hand that frees it? I confess that I didn't care very much after the first hour or so.

Batman himself was reduced to the role of butt-kicking CSI and was by far the least interesting character in the movie (and I have a huge crush on Christian Bale, so for me to say that, you know it's got some problems!) . Maggie Whatshername was extraordinarily unconvincing as his childhood sweetheart-turned-love-of-his-life or whatever; their interactions all came off like business transactions. For that matter, so did all her interactions with Harvey Dent, which really sucked the life out of that whole thread of the story.

I could go on, but you get the idea. As an exploration of ethical dilemma and moral agency, it was o.k. As a movie to go see on a Saturday night for fun, not so much.

feldspar
07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give it a 7.5 out of 10.

This was certainly not the masterpiece many (most) of the early reviews made it out to be. It was certainly an excellent movie, but it didn’t blow my mind, it didn’t leave me perplexed about the paradox of good vs. evil when I walked out of the theater. It didn’t do any of that as other movies it was compared to have (Empire Strikes Back, LOTR, Godfather II). In fact, it didn’t even come close.

The reviewers kept talking about how this movie transcended the Spiderman genre. How it took comic book movies to a whole new level. I disagree. It certainly was better than any of the Spiderman movies and Nolan should get kudos for making a sequel that surpassed his original, but this movie is nothing more than the best comic book movie. It didn’t shatter any ceilings, in my opinion.

It sucks that we have to talk about it in that context, because it actually was an awesome movie. It just irritates me when reviewers over-hype a movie to the point where someone like me is actually disappointed when I walk out of the theater. That’s just ridiculous. From now on, I’ll just have to avoid the reviews I guess.

To the finer points of the movie:

Ledger was awesome. Really great. I think he deserves an Oscar nod, but I don’t buy the hype that he has it locked down. Once again, the reviews touted this performance as shockingly eerie, chilling, etc. I didn’t really get that. He was creepy, for sure, but it didn’t “haunt” me. In fact, I laughed at him more than anything else. The most memorable scene was the one with him in the nurses costume. That wasn’t a “haunting” scene, it was hilarious.

Bale was great. He’s the definitive Batman.

Eckhart was great as Harvey Dent. He was unconvincing as Two Face. But I don’t completely fault him for that. The whole dynamic between him and Dawes was very unconvincing to me. I didn’t buy the chemistry between them. Which made it hard to believe Two Face’s rage. There wasn’t really any transformation, in that sense. Harvey just had half his face blown off and got pissed because his girlfriend was killed. I just didn’t buy it, and it ruined the last half of the movie for me.

The ferry scene was great. Like Jason, I also guessed about three different ways it would end, and I was wrong on all three. It was a great ending to that scene, I only wish that it had affected The Joker more. It didn’t really seem to phase him, which bothered me. Batman was right, that scene proved that the Joker was wrong in that not everyone was as depraved as he was.

I got really annoyed at the whole subtext of Batman not wanting to kill the Joker. I mean, c’mon. In Batman Begins, the main line of the climax of the movie was Batman saying “I won’t kill you. But I don’t have to save you.” Hello??? Why couldn’t Batman take that stance against someone as depraved and sick as the Joker? Huge plot hole, in my opinion.

The last nit I have to pick is that of the Joker’s ending. In that, there was none. I can understand they might have wanted to leave that ending open in case they wanted to someday bring him back (of course, not possible now) but here’s the problem. The plot had already proven to us that, even when he gets caught, the Joker can get out of it. The only sticky situation the Joker can’t get out of is death. So why leave him alive at the end? It made the ending incredibly open-ended, so much so that it left the movie feeling incomplete.

In all, a great action flick with lots of stuff blowing up and cars flipping over, but the plot and casting really exposed a lot of holes in this movie, making it just a summer popcorn comic book flick, not the masterpiece or close-to masterpiece I had been reading about for the last month.

Dukerati
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
The movie was haunting. There were certainly some plot holes and abbreviated scenes such as ........ SPOILER ALERT................ when Bruce saved Rachel from the roof fall. After a brief exchange, the movie just cut to another scene without resolving what the Joker did or went afterwards. However, these deficiencies were more than overshadowed by the overall power of the film which of course stemmed a lot from Heath Ledger as the Joker.

*** SPOILERS ******
As for best moments, the pencil scene was awesome but the first video broadcast made from a hand-held camcorder by the Joker (terrorizing the fake batman) probably takes the cake for me.

Duvall
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Kind of a strange complaint to make in a thread about a Christopher Nolan film. Memento (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/) isn't a perfect film, but it's certainly not one in which plot is an afterthought.

Duvall
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I got really annoyed at the whole subtext of Batman not wanting to kill the Joker. I mean, c’mon. In Batman Begins, the main line of the climax of the movie was Batman saying “I won’t kill you. But I don’t have to save you.” Hello??? Why couldn’t Batman take that stance against someone as depraved and sick as the Joker? Huge plot hole, in my opinion.

The last nit I have to pick is that of the Joker’s ending. In that, there was none. I can understand they might have wanted to leave that ending open in case they wanted to someday bring him back (of course, not possible now) but here’s the problem. The plot had already proven to us that, even when he gets caught, the Joker can get out of it. The only sticky situation the Joker can’t get out of is death. So why leave him alive at the end? It made the ending incredibly open-ended, so much so that it left the movie feeling incomplete.

Because the climax of Batman Begins was a serious misstep that almost derailed the entire movie.

Batman doesn't just let people die, even villains. That's his limit, and he won't let anyone push him past it, not even the Joker. That's the only way he can win, because, as the movie noted, the Joker has nothing to lose.

feldspar
07-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Because the climax of Batman Begins was a serious misstep that almost derailed the entire movie.

Pun intended? :D

Udaman
07-21-2008, 02:54 PM
The whole story between Batman and The Joker (at least in the Dark Knight books) is that killing a person is the one line Batman won't cross. He won't be a killer. Hurt them? Yell yes. Scare them? That's the entire point. But he won't kill them.

The Joker is always his purest nemisis, because he won't stop until he is indeed killed, and by Batman. As he said in this movie - it's the irresistable force versus the immovable object. It's Yin versus Yang. Good versus evil. Bruce can't let himself become that, and ultimately The Joker knows that. It's his Ace up the sleeve - the kryptonite to Superman. He has figured out the true Achilles Heel of Batman. It's also really cool. You have a crazy killer who is being hunted by a crazy vigilante only the latter won't cross the one line he knows he must to stop the former. Great, great stuff. In the real world, yeah, he would get captured and locked up and never get out. But in this world, he always escapes - constantly pressing Batman. The argument is that neither can exist without the other.

Even in The Dark Knight Returns - when the older Batman finally realizes that he must in fact kill The Joker, he can't bring himself to do it. In the end, he finally compromises, and severs his spine (in maybe the best comic book series ever written).

feldspar
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
The whole story between Batman and The Joker (at least in the Dark Knight books) is that killing a person is the one line Batman won't cross. He won't be a killer. Hurt them? Yell yes. Scare them? That's the entire point. But he won't kill them.

I understand that. I'm just pointing out that it's inconsistent with Batman Begins. And that creates a big problem for the plot of Dark Knight. A huge problem, since that's at the center of what the movie is about.

Udaman
07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Here's where we disagree - I didn't see Batman's actions in Batman Begins as going against this rule. The bad guy had created the runaway subway - it was his fault. Bruce wasn't in a position to really save him anyway (not without likely dying himself).

It's more an issue of Batman actually physically killing someone. Throwing them off a building. Running them over. Beating them to death. He doesn't cross that line.

JasonEvans
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Feldspar, can I ask, was my review one of the many that over-inflated your expectations? I tried to not be overly excessive in my praise because, like you, I felt the final third of the film had some real plot problems.

--Jason "I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, it is second to WALL*E in terms of best movie of the summer" Evans

feldspar
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Feldspar, can I ask, was my review one of the many that over-inflated your expectations? I tried to not be overly excessive in my praise because, like you, I felt the final third of the film had some real plot problems.

--Jason "I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, it is second to WALL*E in terms of best movie of the summer" Evans

No, I thought your review was perfectly muted, and I went back and read it again after seeing the movie. You hit pretty much all of my concerns.

I'm trying to remember the names of a couple of the more outlandish reviewers I read, but can't come up with them offhand.

Like I said, I hated to make the comments I did because it really was a great movie, I just hate coming out of a movie that good feeling disappointed.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I just saw Sin City again last night. First time in a while. As far as dark action packed movies go... My room mate and I agreed Sin City was a lot better... better put together... better all around performance by the entire cast... and every single scene was captivating. It was a little more grown up, gory, and of course even darker the the dark knight. Overall a better movie... it only got around an 8.5 on IMDB. Don't understand.

In fact, I invite everyone to watch Sin City again after viewing bat man and tell me what you think. Sin City 2 is coming out next year... can't wait.

A-Tex Devil
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I just saw Sin City again last night. First time in a while. As far as dark action packed movies go... My room mate and I agreed Sin City was a lot better... better put together... better all around performance by the entire cast... and every single scene was captivating. It was a little more grown up, gory, and of course even darker the the dark knight. Overall a better movie... it only got around an 8.5 on IMDB. Don't understand.

In fact, I invite everyone to watch Sin City again after viewing bat man and tell me what you think. Sin City 2 is coming out next year... can't wait.

I really liked Sin City. More than most, I think. But comparing Batman to Sin City is like comparing Gladiator to 300. Sure the genre is similar, but they are completely different movies.

Sin City and 300 are comic books come to life. There's a sense of realism in the cinematography of the 2 Batman movies (plot and technology aside) that doesn't exist in Sin City which was literally a frame by frame capture of Frank Miller's comics.

I like the comparisons of TDK to crime movies like Heat, etc. as opposed to a comic book movie. Definitely plot holes, but I really enjoyed it.

NashvilleDevil
07-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I just checked the daily box office for the Dark Knight and it made 24 million on Monday. After Monday's take it was at 184 million, Tuesday's numbers are not out yet or I have not seen them so I am sure it has already passed 200 million dollars. Does anyone know the record for reaching 200 million dollars?

blazindw
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I think Spidey 3 has it at 10 days, but I'm not certain of that. If that's the case, however, that record is about to be shattered.

Clipsfan
07-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I just checked the daily box office for the Dark Knight and it made 24 million on Monday. After Monday's take it was at 184 million, Tuesday's numbers are not out yet or I have not seen them so I am sure it has already passed 200 million dollars. Does anyone know the record for reaching 200 million dollars?

The numbers I'm seeing for Tuesday are just over $20 mil and around $199.1 mil in total. Those are insane numbers for a Monday and Tuesday.

However, that site (Rentrak) only has $155.1 mil for the opening weekend. The adjusted numbers were $158MM, so I'm not quite sure whether they've not updated that yet (they go back a few days after the fact in many cases) or whether the $158MM was wrong.

dukeblueyes
07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Loved it. Super entertaining and awesome flick. Not best movie of the year/ever, but that's not what I was looking for or expecting, so I enjoyed it a lot.

There was a LOT of stuff packed in there, and I will obviously need to go back and watch it/enjoy it again in theaters, but I was hoping someone could explain some stuff in the meantime.

-Rachel's letter... why does Alfred have to burn it? Just to protect Bruce's ego that he thought he got the girl? To keep Bruce feeling guilty for stealing her away from Dent and therefore committed to saving Dent and his image?

-Why does Harvey go after Gordon? Doesn't make much sense. Did he think Gordon was dirty too? Is Harvey really dead? If Batman survived the fall after being shot, is Dent dead? Did Gordon secretly save him after Batman ran off because he felt guilty?

One of the best parts of the movie when Fox says "Let me get this straight. You think that your employer, one of the richest men in the world, is spending his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands? And your plan is to blackmail him? Good luck with that." The entire theater laughed at that.

NashvilleDevil
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
The numbers I'm seeing for Tuesday are just over $20 mil and around $199.1 mil in total. Those are insane numbers for a Monday and Tuesday.

However, that site (Rentrak) only has $155.1 mil for the opening weekend. The adjusted numbers were $158MM, so I'm not quite sure whether they've not updated that yet (they go back a few days after the fact in many cases) or whether the $158MM was wrong.

I checked it on Yahoo! and Box Office Mojo.

Clipsfan
07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I checked it on Yahoo! and Box Office Mojo.

Boxofficemojo's source is Rentrak. Anyway, the reason I responded was to include the Tuesday number, which is now up on boxofficemojo. I gave the info about the weekend being different because I was surprised that they hadn't updated it. I think that they wait for every single theater to report before they update to final numbers.

NashvilleDevil
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Boxofficemojo's source is Rentrak. Anyway, the reason I responded was to include the Tuesday number, which is now up on boxofficemojo. I gave the info about the weekend being different because I was surprised that they hadn't updated it. I think that they wait for every single theater to report before they update to final numbers.

Got it. It has now crossed the 200 million dollar mark after Tuesday's final number came in. This movie could reach 300 million by the middle of next week. The only movie opening that has any publicity is the Step-Brothers and that is not going to stop The Dark Knight from winning the weekend.

jma4life
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe Alfred was concerned that Bruce would become disillusioned and give up the batman role if he knew that Rachel left him based on the reasons stated in the letter.

mpj96
07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree largely with feldspar's post except that I had few expectations before going in due to not having read any reviews.

Definitely not an epic flick but not bad either. I give it a 7 out of 10.

The good:

The ferry scene was probably the best scene in the film. The pencil trick was the coolest. The sky hook was the best special effect. the tunnel was a great chase scene and the best one in the movie. Echoing others' comments, Ledger was the best actor in the flick.

The bad:

this movie was too long. I did not buy the relationship between the DA and the girlfriend and batman. I did not buy the 2 face reaction following the explosion. Dark Knight had its share of the worst James Bond movie -- "oh, I guess anything can happen now" kind of moments -- more than any movie can endure and claim to be great.

I thought the end was pretty lame and overdone. If they had done more showing that the DA was the "best among us" and less telling us that and given a believable explanation for his mental shift at the end perhaps I would feel differently.

the last sentence of the movie made me laugh out loud it was so cheesy and contrived.

The ugly:

I came away fairly surprised that this was a PG-13 movie and not rated R.

As good as Ledger was, his joker character must have been a hard depiction for his family to watch in the wake of his death.

Overall:

Not the best movie of the summer, much less the year. Not a bad flick, not a waste of $ but it could have been better by a long shot.

darthur
07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Just saw it and really liked it. Despite some of the complaints here, I found the story really solid, especially given how many interesting directions it goes.

Ping Lin
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Loved it. Super entertaining and awesome flick. Not best movie of the year/ever, but that's not what I was looking for or expecting, so I enjoyed it a lot.

There was a LOT of stuff packed in there, and I will obviously need to go back and watch it/enjoy it again in theaters, but I was hoping someone could explain some stuff in the meantime.

-Rachel's letter... why does Alfred have to burn it? Just to protect Bruce's ego that he thought he got the girl? To keep Bruce feeling guilty for stealing her away from Dent and therefore committed to saving Dent and his image?

-Why does Harvey go after Gordon? Doesn't make much sense. Did he think Gordon was dirty too? Is Harvey really dead? If Batman survived the fall after being shot, is Dent dead? Did Gordon secretly save him after Batman ran off because he felt guilty?

- Re: the letter. It's left ambiguous, but I personally think the part of the letter that Alfred wanted hidden most was the part where Rachel claims Wayne will never let go of Batman because he needs it. At the close of the film, with Dent dead and Gotham in a relative shambles, it's the city that needs him more than anything else, and perhaps Alfred doesn't want Wayne to question that fact.

- Dent. Dead as a doornail. (Yeah, I know, I was disappointed too.) One of the brief scenes in the ending montage is Gordon speaking before a large audience, outdoors, with a giant photo of Dent behind him: clearly meant as his address during Dent's funeral. As for his rationale for going after Gordon, perhaps he blamed him for not reaching Rachel in time (his squad is the one that's a split second too late), or not being able to see through the Joker's plot.

DukeDevil
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I believe Dent had rage against Gordon because he repeatedly told Gordon that his people were dirty, and Gordon refused to listed. Had he listened, Rachel would still have been alive.

darthur
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I believe Dent had rage against Gordon because he repeatedly told Gordon that his people were dirty, and Gordon refused to listed. Had he listened, Rachel would still have been alive.

I am not completely sure but early on, I think Dent even specifically singled out the two that ended up betraying him and Rachel.

Cavlaw
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Finally saw it yesterday and I thought it was terrific.

blazindw
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
$300 million in 10 days. Incredible.
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20080727/121719073700.html

How high can it go? Can it sink the Titanic (pun intended)?

colchar
07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
I just finished watching it five minutes ago and have to say that I didn't like it nearly as much as others here. I thought Ledger was amazing but, other than him, I didn't find any of the characters to be all that convincing (Morgan Freeman was great in his role though). And I thought the Batman character was kinds lousy. Too stiff as Bruce Wayne and trying too hard as Batman (seriously, what was with the voice?). All in all it was a good way to waste a couple of hours this evening but, other than that, I didn't think it was anything special. Then again, I rarely watch movies so perhaps the others out there lately have been so bad that they make this one seems great in comparison.

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Then again, I rarely watch movies so perhaps the others out there lately have been so bad that they make this one seems great in comparison.

See Ironman as well, if you haven't. Pretty strange to have two of the best movies for the year so far about superheroes, and both are completely different stories. Both are very well told, and highly entertaining. but beyond that, the only similarity is that they feature rich guys with cool suits. After this summer, the bar has been set so high for this type of movie that if I were involved in Watchmen (dying for it) I'd be either just wanting a release now to get it out of the way, or an extra year to pour over all the minor defects that are there so I can make a movie that holds to the hype. (Like Dark Knight was able to do).

Highly anticipating sequels for both. And of course wishing Watchmen the best.

colchar
07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
See Ironman as well, if you haven't.

I'll try, but it might take me a while to get to it. As I said, I rarely watch movies - but that seems to be one I might enjoy. Heck, the only reason I watched this one was because we don't have TV at our place here in London and I was bored out of my mind. My flatmate had a copy of it so I watched it.

YmoBeThere
07-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Who knew the comic book guys would be getting the last laugh 25+ years later?

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2008, 05:46 PM
My flatmate had a copy of it so I watched it.

Ummmmm..that doesn't count. Go see both...IN THE THEATER!!!

YmoBeThere
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM

Agreed, saw it in an IMAX theater today...there are elements to a big big screen that can't be matched by what you have in your home. Even if you are using a projector. But of course, it could be argued that an IMAX screen is too big and that you won't catch some of what is going on because it is outside your field of vision.

colchar
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM

No chance I'll see either in a theatre. Movies here cost a LOT more than they do in North America. Some theatres in Piccadilly charge £15.50 for current movies which works out to be about $31 Canadian. There is absolutely no way I will pay that amount to see a movie. And I think movies back home are stupidly overpriced as well so on the very rare occasions when I actually watch a movie I do so by renting it (either from Blockbuster or on a PPV channel).

RelativeWays
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I saw it yesterday, to me easily the best of all the Batman films. I don't know about the rest of you, but I used to read Batman pretty religiously in the early 90's. I felt that Nolan's series has stayed the most true to the characters in the comics. Nolan's Batman movies are motivated by character, not a trainwreck of camp, like Shumacher's films or the style over substance like Burton. Easily the best film I've seen this year, but the only other one I've seen was WALL*E, which was also great and really not a kids film at all.

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
No chance I'll see either in a theatre. Movies here cost a LOT more than they do in North America.

I hear you, but every now and then some things come along that are worth the cost of admission. I'd hate to think that whatever the non-digital, surround soundless entity that you have witnessed on your television that pretends to be a movie is what you have judged the film by. Even if you had waited until it came out on DVD, it would be better than what you saw.
Some things are worth the cost, or the wait. You would have been better off watching Batman Begins on DVD.

TillyGalore
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I sawThe Dark Knight the other night with my knight. Obviously Christopher Nolan had no idea TillyGalore was going to see the movie as he stole stuff from James Bond, the plane Batman used to get the Chinese dude out of Hong Kong (Thunderball) and the Joker's shoe knife (From Russia With Love) Very disappointed!!!

Other than that, I thought the movie was okay. Should have counted how many people (women AND men) who got up to go potty, as this was one boring movie, okay so the last hour was the boring part. Not going to see it again.

Didn't want to see it because I thought I would spend too much time thinking that this was the last movie Heath Ledger made. Had that thought at the very beginning, but because of his performance I didn't think about it until the movie was over. He was unbelievable, and I really enjoyed his performance.

As I am against the death penalty, I loved that it was the prisoners on the boat who were the first to decide not to blow up the other boat by throwing the detonator out the window. I was glad too that the guy on the other boat couldn't go through with blowing up the prisoners. But above all, I loved that the Joker's theory of humanity figuratively blew up in his face.

blublood
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I sawThe Dark Knight the other night with my knight. Obviously Christopher Nolan had no idea TillyGalore was going to see the movie as he stole stuff from James Bond, the plane Batman used to get the Chinese dude out of Hong Kong (Thunderball) and the Joker's shoe knife (From Russia With Love) Very disappointed!!!

Other than that, I thought the movie was okay. Should have counted how many people (women AND men) who got up to go potty, as this was one boring movie, okay so the last hour was the boring part. Not going to see it again.

Now see - did boyf like it? Personally I've seen a really dramatic male-female split on this movie. Men love it and women sort of... at best, think it's o.k., at worst pronounce it unendurable.

TillyGalore
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Now see - did boyf like it? Personally I've seen a really dramatic male-female split on this movie. Men love it and women sort of... at best, think it's o.k., at worst pronounce it unendurable.

He thought it was a bit long too. He liked it in spite of it being too long. I agree with you, it was written more for guys than gals.

Cavlaw
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Didn't want to see it because I thought I would spend too much time thinking that this was the last movie Heath Ledger made. Had that thought at the very beginning, but because of his performance I didn't think about it until the movie was over. He was unbelievable, and I really enjoyed his performance.

As I am against the death penalty, I loved that it was the prisoners on the boat who were the first to decide not to blow up the other boat by throwing the detonator out the window. I was glad too that the guy on the other boat couldn't go through with blowing up the prisoners. But above all, I loved that the Joker's theory of humanity figuratively blew up in his face.
I'm confused. You say the last hour was the boring part, but the last hour consistedly mostly of the scenes you say you loved.

dball
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
No chance I'll see either in a theatre. Movies here cost a LOT more than they do in North America. Some theatres in Piccadilly charge £15.50 for current movies which works out to be about $31 Canadian. There is absolutely no way I will pay that amount to see a movie. And I think movies back home are stupidly overpriced as well so on the very rare occasions when I actually watch a movie I do so by renting it (either from Blockbuster or on a PPV channel).

How did your flatmate get a copy of a current release?

05dukie
08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
i am a girl and i loved it! grrr, i hate gender stereotyping

darthur
08-07-2008, 07:15 PM

Yeah, this is worth noting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/ratings

Males: 9.3 / 10
Females: 9.3 / 10

I'm sure there's selection bias in terms of who votes on IMDB, but still...

BluDevilGal
08-09-2008, 11:28 PM

Ditto.

blazindw
08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
The Dark Knight was #1 again at the box office this weekend, pulling in $26 million to Pineapple Express' $22.4 million. Entering its 4th week in theaters, it has already grossed $441.5 million, which has taken it past Shrek 2 into 3rd-best ALL-TIME. Next up: Star Wars Episode 4 at $460.99 million, which will probably fall within the next week.

billybreen
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Ok, so I'm one of the few who really didn't like this movie. I'll let Robert Downey Jr speak for me (http://www.ryanbreen.com:81/redir.html) (NSFW language).

Duke4Ever32
08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok, so I'm one of the few who really didn't like this movie. I'll let Robert Downey Jr speak for me (http://www.ryanbreen.com:81/redir.html) (NSFW language).

You're not alone. I thought The Dark Knight was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot had problems and was hard to follow, and I couldn't hear/understand a third of the lines. Heath's performance was great, but apart from that I couldn't wait for the movie to end.

billybreen
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
You're not alone. I thought The Dark Knight was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot had problems and was hard to follow, and I couldn't hear/understand a third of the lines. Heath's performance was great, but apart from that I couldn't wait for the movie to end.

Excellent! I'm no longer alone. Actually, my wife hated it too, and she was thrilled when I leaned over about 2 hours in and said 'Is this stupid movie ever going to end?'

It just felt like a silly movie that took itself way too seriously. That pretension is common to much of the DC universe (hence my appreciation for RDJr's comments).

DukeDevil
12-14-2008, 11:29 PM
So near the end of the movie, Gordon says something like "five people dead, two of them cops" with regards to two face/harvey dent.

Who were the five people? I count the first cop at the bar, Maroni's driver and Maroni (I assume) when the car crashed, that's three. I think Dent is one of the 5 because he's dead and that needs explaining, but that's 4. Only 1 of the 4 so far is a cop, indicating that the last person has to be a cop. I thought initially it could be the bartender but he's not an officer.

Did they think that Ramirez, the female police officer that dent says "live to fight another day" to before he knocks her over the head, was dead? Was it a goof? I doubt it's a mistake but stranger things have happened. Maybe she's to become someone like catwoman in the future (needs money to support her mother's hospital bills?) so when she was found out she ran away and people assumed she was dead?

I have no idea, anyone have an inkling or remembering something I'm not?

Acymetric
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
I hadn't read this thread yet, decided to check it out when I saw the post just now. I was surprised nobody mentioned the new actress for Rachel. Maybe this wasn't a big deal for other people, but I didn't like her nearly as much. Then again, I guess I won't have to worry about her in the next movie. I'll also add that I was disappointed that Dent died, as I think he's a really good villain (one of the few that is "redeemable" I suppose).

The only thing I thought was really bad was the whole cell phone thing. Way over the top, but I managed to ignore it and thought the movie was awesome.

bjornolf
12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Maybe two face counts as a cop AND as two people? Just a thought, I haven't seen it yet.

DukeDevil
12-15-2008, 08:47 AM
This should really be in the dark knight thread, sorry. Was tired when I wrote it.

Cavlaw
12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
The cop who goes back into the hospital to collect Dent, whom the Joker kills.

dball
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry thought this was a Maggie Gyllenhaal thread

Acymetric
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Sorry thought this was a Maggie Gyllenhaal thread

Ha, see my post in the other thread. I thought I might be the only one.