PDA

View Full Version : Can Ellington increase his stock?

Bluedawg
07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Reality checks can sometimes make people such as Ellington considerably more cognizant of their past, present and future.

"My stock can get a lot better," Ellington said, his voice not trembling one bit. "I've got to continue to get stronger and work more defensively. There's not much difference from a year ago."

Ellington expects his stock to rise (http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/columns/dascenzo/index.cfm) by Frank Dascenzo

is it possible for a player to increase his stock in one year and still be a team player? Would he have to think of "me first" in order to accomplish this?

DukeDude
07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
is it possible for a player to increase his stock in one year and still be a team player? Would he have to think of "me first" in order to accomplish this?

Well playing better defense is also making himself a better team player. And getting stronger could be talking about finishing plays better in traffic, not about creating more opportunities for himself.

CameronCrazy'11
07-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Sounds like someone wants to shoot more instead of passing to Hansbrough.

Huh?
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Ellington is a good college player, he will never make it in the NBA, I think the scouts saw that this summer.

yancem
07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I actually think that Ellington, of the 3 almost draftees, has the best chance to raise his stock. I have serious doubts about Lawson's toughness and commitment. Plus one of his biggest weaknesses is his out side shot and I don't think that Ol' Roy is going to want him jacking up a bunch of threes. Green is in the unenviable position of being odd man out while trying to raise his stock. Ginyard is UNC's best perimeter defender and is a glue guy so I think that Green will remain in the sixth man role. He should get plenty of minutes but with Hansolo looking to set the ACC scoring record, Lawson dominating the ball and Ellington also trying to impress the scouts, I'm not sure how he improves his numbers or exposure (besides his sideline dances).

Ellington has a good to potentially great stroke if he can work on creating his own shot a little better (ala JJ his junior year) and can show a commitment to defense he could raise his stock a reasonable amount. With defenses clogging the lane and trying hard to stop Hansolo, there should be a fair amount of opportunities for him to show his stuff without having to distract from the team. Also, remember that next year's draft isn't supposed to be terribly strong.

speedevil
07-16-2008, 03:25 AM
of course he can. ellington is a excellent player. i wished he stayed in the draft. but is gonna be back at unc, duke has to face them. why wouldnt another year in college increase his stock?

Classof06
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Ellington's problem is that through all the hype he's gotten, he's no more than a spot-up shooter. At 6-3/6-4, he's an undersized 2-guard by NBA standards plus he hasn't proven he can play the point; and as long as Lawson is there, he won't get that chance. He hasn't shown a consistent ability to create his own shot off the dribble, he's not a particularly explosive athlete and he's an average defender at best. This was the same perception of JJ Redick coming out of college. And make no mistake, Redick was a far better scorer in college than Ellington has been thus far.

Do I think Ellington can make it to the NBA? Yes. But I don't imagine a very glamorous career. Again, sound like someone familiar?

Andy Glockner from ESPN said it best: for two kids who came from the same high school, he can't understand why Ellington gets so much more press than Henderson when Henderson is probably the better player.

Look for that to change this season ;).

Bluedog
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Andy Glockner from ESPN said it best: for two kids who came from the same high school, he can't understand why Ellington gets so much more press than Henderson when Henderson is probably the better player.

Look for that to change this season ;).

Well, most mock draft sites agree with you. DraftExpress has Gerald going #13 overall. They have Ellington going #7 in the SECOND round. For comparison, Hansbrough is 18, Stephen Curry is 16, and Lawson is 9, and Green is #20 in second round...Obviously, still very early, but I think NBA scouts already see more potential in Henderson than Ellington.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

Classof06
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, most mock draft sites agree with you. DraftExpress has Gerald going #13 overall. They have Ellington going #7 in the SECOND round. For comparison, Hansbrough is 18, Stephen Curry is 16, and Lawson is 9, and Green is #20 in second round...Obviously, still very early, but I think NBA scouts already see more potential in Henderson than Ellington.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

The only thing Ellington has on Henderson is that he's a better 3-point shooter.

When G is healthy, his mid-range game is excellent as is his ability to penetrate. He's clearly the superior athlete and definitely a better defender. Not to mention, Gerald's skill set appears to be tailor-made to translate to the NBA. Ellington's is not.

The most important aspect, however, is that despite being a better athlete, Gerald is getting better with each passing season. Ellington's numbers are up but that's not necessarily because his game has improved; he's simply taken on a bigger role in the offense with the departures of Reyshaun Terry and Branden Wright combined with the injuries to Frasor and then Lawson during the season. His game is what it is.

Lord Ash
07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes he can.