PDA

View Full Version : when josh committed

Duke15304
03-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I was not on this board at the time this occured so i was wondering what the feel was when we got him, know i figured everybody was extremely happy since he was such a big recuirt, but were people talking about he would be big time scorer, etc, i guess what i am getting to is, how comparable was the talk about josh to singler, i know sinlger is slighty a different player

Clipsfan
03-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I was not on this board at the time this occured so i was wondering what the feel was when we got him, know i figured everybody was extremely happy since he was such a big recuirt, but were people talking about he would be big time scorer, etc, i guess what i am getting to is, how comparable was the talk about josh to singler, i know sinlger is slighty a different player

I haven't read every post about Singler's commitment, but my memory of Josh's was similar to what I've seen of Singler. Most of us don't have the opportunity to see these guys play while they're in HS, so we base most of our expectations on their rankings and some HS box scores. The posts which I've read about Singler don't talk about him being a scorer, in particular, but rather an important piece of the overall team (and a likely starter). I remember the posts about Josh being the same, although we also discussed his sick dunking abilities. I'd like to think that we also talked about his passing, but I just don't remember that.

mr. synellinden
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Singler is a great scorer. He can score in every way imaginable. Think Laettner or Ferry with a better ability to take the ball to the goal from the perimiter.

Atlanta Duke
03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Singler is a great scorer. He can score in every way imaginable. Think Laettner or Ferry with a better ability to take the ball to the goal from the perimiter.

That pretty much sums up the burden of expectations every tall white recruit (Beard, Burgess, Shav, McRoberts) carries - K recruited him so he must be the next Laettner or Ferry.

When that does not happen then the recruit is a disappointment.

shadycharacter
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Nothing to be served by bringing up the color issue, is there?

We would just as likely be saying Brand or Sanders, except Elton was here only two years, and Casey was not a star like the others.

Ferry and Laettner were here 4 years and at the time that Duke was the new rising star on the national scene. In a sense, they and Johnny Dawkins were perhaps the key founding fathers of the dynasty to come.

Lord Ash
03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
There was a huge amount of hype, and I have to say that watching Josh and Greg in the McD game was basically the best one-two game I've ever seen. I know it was just an exhibition and all, but wow... they were AMAZING. Josh started with 2 threes, Greg had some of the most amazing passes I've EVER seen... like five or six that were unlike anything I've ever seen... god, we were so, so excited.

Atlanta Duke
03-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Nothing to be served by bringing up the color issue, is there?

We would just as likely be saying Brand or Sanders, except Elton was here only two years, and Casey was not a star like the others.

Ferry and Laettner were here 4 years and at the time that Duke was the new rising star on the national scene. In a sense, they and Johnny Dawkins were perhaps the key founding fathers of the dynasty to come.

Except it is the 800 pound gorilla of expectations that is carried on the backs of a certain type of Duke recruit.

Of all the past players Singler could be compared to, it does not surprise me to hear those 2 legends cited. I do not think their height is the controlling factor for the comparison. Same reason certain players are compared to Larry Bird.

Do I condone it - nope.

Is it what motivates the comparisons & expectations - you betcha.

Dukefan4Life
03-22-2007, 10:12 PM
ive never seen kyle play, but have read alot of things on him, he is supposed to be an all around scorer and can pass. Like larry bird i hope kyle can take his team further than it did the year before! i think this class fills a few needs that we are lacking! im looking forward to nolan also! King could be a good scorer for us and give us some much needed rebounding

feldspar
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Ummmm...to be honest? When he signed I was expecting just about what we got out of him.

chrisheery
03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
i remember going and watching videos of him on the internet. then i watched him play in the mcdonald's all american game. i remember thinking that this guy has amazing skills with the ball and looks nasty when no one is guarding him. i also remember wondering how he was going to rebound in the acc and whether he would have as many chances to wind up and dunk like all his high school clips showed.

with singler, i have done the same thing. they don't play even remotely similar games. he doesn't seem to be much of an inside presence, so i hope we aren't expect that from him. however, he can score from midrange, outside, and seems to be able to use both of those skills to get to the hoop from time to time. i think a good comparison for him is evtimov. i think he has a better jumper and a better fade away. i doubt he can pass like evtimov. they seem to move with the same deceptive quickness after pump fakes and subtle ball fakes.

i think i would call him a poor man's dirk with the way he actually shoots the ball, that rolling overhead shot with high release, making it almost impossible to block unless the player is much taller/farm more athletic or coming from behind. i know, i know . . . they are both white, but this is the style of play he actually uses. i hope he rebounds as well, but i doubt he will. perhaps this is why he gets compared to bird, though. he shoots from a high position (almost above his head), is a little slow, but deceptively can get by guys, and is a great mid range scorer (the kinda thing that might give our offense more flow - like rip hamilton did for the piston's offense).

FishStick
03-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Mostly I remember the talk of whether Josh or Hansbrough was better... as well as which one would be going pro first.