PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight

darthur
07-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I haven't seen it of course, but I'm getting really excited, and I figured it was time to start a thread.

The reviews have been very favorable so far. Yes, there are a few complaining it is too serious and too dark, but there are more than a few that are just superlative. One example: "Dark Knight is I suppose the greatest superhero movie ever made, but it's so far beyond the genre that attempting to compare it with the likes of Spider-Man is almost laughable."

I'm looking forward to Jason's review, and keeping my fingers crossed that the movie really will live up to the hype (is that even possible at this point?).

DUKIECB
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm looking forward to Jason's review, and keeping my fingers crossed that the movie really will live up to the hype (is that even possible at this point?).

This is my worry as well. It's hard for movies with tons of hype to be really good. This was part of my problem with Wall-E. The movie was O.K. but I think I would have enjoyed it more if every critic on the planet hadn't been falling all over themselves to sing its praises.

I am actually glad the move is serious and dark as I think it will make for a better movie. I can't wait to see Ledgers performance as many are saying it is nothing short of phenomenal.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
there is a sneak preview up on icontrol on demand... it might be on hbo on demand im not too sure

SlimSlowSlider
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is the Dark Knight? I see where he must be a Superhero, but I must admit I have never heard of this character. (I was not a comic-book-reading kid growing up....)

DukeDude
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is the Dark Knight? I see where he must be a Superhero, but I must admit I have never heard of this character. (I was not a comic-book-reading kid growing up....)

The Dark Knight is none other than Batman. This movie is the sequel to Batman Begins.

SlimSlowSlider
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, even I have heard of him. :) Even saw the first two Batman movies.

Clipsfan
07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, even I have heard of him. :) Even saw the first two Batman movies.

If you didn't see Batman Begins, check it out. Also a very good superhero movie.

Bluedawg
07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I haven't seen it of course, but I'm getting really excited, and I figured it was time to start a thread.

The reviews have been very favorable so far. Yes, there are a few complaining it is too serious and too dark, but there are more than a few that are just superlative. One example: "Dark Knight is I suppose the greatest superhero movie ever made, but it's so far beyond the genre that attempting to compare it with the likes of Spider-Man is almost laughable."

"too serious and too dark"...really. people are so accustomed to the Adam West Batman that they can't adjust to batman in his original form.

I've seen all of the batman movies and Batman Begins is by far the best. this one should be just as good.

blazindw
07-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm looking forward to this movie more than I have any movie in a very long time. The only movies that I've probably looked forward to more the past few years have been the Harry Potter movies and Batman Begins (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I'm waiting to see Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, which by all accounts I've read is nothing short of Oscar-worthy.

JasonEvans
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the folks mentioning they are eager for my review-- though I am sure all of you are going to see it anyway, even if I say bad things.

I am seeing it at 8pm tonight. Hopefully, I'll have comments up by midnight. I am sure I will love it... I hope. The hype/expectations machine is working in overdrive on this one ;)

--Jason "I'll be sure to say how it works for pre-teens and what my wife thought of it too" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I am seeing it at 8pm tonight. Hopefully, I'll have comments up by midnight. I am sure I will love it... I hope. The hype/expectations machine is working in overdrive on this one ;)

Vcool, looking forward to it, have fun!

DukeDude
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the folks mentioning they are eager for my review-- though I am sure all of you are going to see it anyway, even if I say bad things.

--Jason "I'll be sure to say how it works for pre-teens and what my wife thought of it too" Evans

I will surely see it anyway, but I always enjoy reading your reviews. I also want to hear your $ projection for it after you see it.

Clipsfan
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I will surely see it anyway, but I always enjoy reading your reviews. I also want to hear your $ projection for it after you see it.

I've heard talk of a $130MM+ opening weekend, which would probably translate into a $350-400MM domestic gross. It's definitely possible, assuming there is any truth to the hype. Lots of sold out theaters this weekend.