PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Blueequalslife23
07-14-2008, 02:03 PM
As Watzone said a couple days ago another Duke prospect from the 2010 class would be offered very soon. Well today scout.com is reporting that we have offered Harrison Barnes a 6'6 SF from Iowa.

NYC Duke Fan
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
As Watzone said a couple days ago another Duke prospect from the 2010 class would be offered very soon. Well today scout.com is reporting that we have offered Harrison Barnes a 6'6 SF from Iowa.

Who is Harrison Barnes ? Could someone please fill in any details about him.

Thank You

dkbaseball
07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Barnes has been getting rave reviews for a few months on a Wisconsin website, and is supposed to have a good head on his shoulders. UW apparently is staying involved with him even though they have committed all their scholarships through 2010. Jamil Wilson, OTOH, is having some questions raised about him on that board re: collegiality, playing hard all the time, an underwhelming summer so far. UW apparently is no longer involved with him.

BlueintheFace
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Where are you getting this? I have heard nothing about such a kid and scout.com doesn't seem to even have him listed as a prospect for 2010...

Can we get a link or something?

gotham devil
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Who is Harrison Barnes ? Could someone please fill in any details about him.

Thank You

He's from Ames, Iowa (the home of Iowa St.). He's a 2/3 prospect in the 2010 class, who through his play in the past few months has gone from being a top 75 prospect to a top 10-20 prospect.

From a Duke perspective, he's got the athleticism that you would look for in an elite wing, an above-average mid-range shot, the ability to consistently take his defender off of the dribble, enough lateral quickness to guard ACC 2/3s, and is articulate. At 16, Barnes is currently a legitimate 6'5." With the way Duke uses their 3s, you'd like to see him add more consistency to his perimeter shot.

Bluedog
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Where are you getting this? I have heard nothing about such a kid and scout.com doesn't seem to even have him listed as a prospect for 2010...

Super long scout link (Req. subscription to read article) (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=769122&nid=3142748&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d769122%26nid%3 d3142748%26fhn%3d1) I don't subscribe either, so I can't see that the "ACC school" is Duke either....

blu62
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Looks great, but definitely out of the blue. How many scholarships can we offer for 2010, assuming no one leaves early? Seems that we have a couple of other offers outstanding.

CameronCrazy'11
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Looks great, but definitely out of the blue. How many scholarships can we offer for 2010, assuming no one leaves early? Seems that we have a couple of other offers outstanding.

Right now, we can get 3 for 2009 if no one leaves early. If we give three scholarships to '09 players, then we have five spots for 2010 players (more if anyone from '07, '08, or '09 leaves early). One of those 2010 spots of course is already taken by Andre Dawkins. If Hairston and Barnes both also commit, that leaves two more spots, with Brandon Knight (top pg) and Josh Smith (#2 center) looking like top candidates at the moment.

Bluedawg
07-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Rivals lists him at #6 (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1909)

2010 Rank Pos Ht/Wt
1 Jeremy Tyler F 6-9/240
San Diego (CA) San Diego
A physical presence with a promising skill package.
2 Tristan Thompson F 6-8/210
Newark (NJ) St. Benedict's Prep
Rapidly developing small forward with length.
3 Jared Sullinger F 6-7/260
Columbus (OH) Northland
A big bodied post player who produces.
4 Josh Smith C 6-9/265
Covington (WA) Kentwood
A large presence in the paint with good hands and feet.
5 Josh Selby G 6-1/
Bel Air (MD) DeMatha
An eletric playmaker with a fearless game.
6 Harrison Barnes F 6-6/190
Ames (IA) Ames Senior
Well rounded wing with a mature game.
7 DeShaun Thomas F 6-7/210
Fort Wayne (IN) Bishop Luers
Big time inside/outside scoring threat.
8 Brandon Knight G 6-3/170
Coral Springs (FL) Pine Crest
Lengthy point guard with an advanced feel for the game.
9 Reggie Bullock G 6-5/175
Kinston (NC) Kinston
Big guard with big-time upside.
10 Joe Jackson G 6-0/150
Memphis (TN) White Station

JasonEvans
07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Obviously, rankings of 16-year-olds who are still 2-3 years away from college are subject to massive fluctuation (anyone recall when Derrick Character was the #1 player in his class -- by a lot!!)...

But, that said, Harrison Barnes is currently the #6 player in the 2010 class according to Rivals and appears to be the #3 player in the 2010 class according to Scout (Scout does position rankings and ranks Barnes as the #1 SF so he may not technically be #3).

So, uhhh, he's a big time recruit ;)

--Jason "the kid has shot up the rankings lately and had been getting interest only from Midwest schools until recently" Evans

Bluedawg
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM

Interesting, Duke is not listed in the "Schools in the Running (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/schoolspop.asp?pr_key=67225)"

CameronCrazy'11
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Interesting, Duke is not listed in the "Schools in the Running (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/schoolspop.asp?pr_key=67225)"

I'm guessing that's because Duke is just coming on to his radar now. I'm sure his updated list will include Duke.

Blueequalslife23
07-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Don't look to much into rivals or scout until they update the recruits info.

watzone
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
The offer is fresh, as in just "officially" made in the past week. Coach K really liked what he saw during the camps last week. Barnes is a very impressive Duke type kid that half the nation is chasing.

jimbonelson
07-14-2008, 10:36 PM
thanks for clearing that up

Bluedawg
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Don't look to much into rivals or scout until they update the recruits info.

How often do they do that.

Blueequalslife23
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Like usually when a big tournament comes up and the player tells the schools hes intrested in. Or when they are close to a decision and announce the final schools.

crimsonandblue
07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
There's been quite a bit of talk that it will be hard to get him out of Ames (location of Iowa State). Supposedly a great kid.

kramerbr
07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
There's been quite a bit of talk that it will be hard to get him out of Ames (location of Iowa State). Supposedly a great kid.

I have seen quotes from his recently in articles saying that he wants to play for a team that will contend, a coach that will make him better, and a school that will set him up academically to succeed after basketball.

speedevil
07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I have seen quotes from his recently in articles saying that he wants to play for a team that will contend, a coach that will make him better, and a school that will set him up academically to succeed after basketball.

wow, thats a great indication, sounds like duke is a school he is considering

speedevil
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
since duke already have a verbal from andre dawkins SG,
can duke bring in 4 other recruits such as:

PG: Brandon Knight
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Josh Hairston
C: Josh Smith

that would be a dynamic recruiting class, maybe just a dream at this point though.

CameronCrazy'11
07-15-2008, 08:37 PM
since duke already have a verbal from andre dawkins SG,
can duke bring in 4 other recruits such as:

PG: Brandon Knight
C: Josh Smith

that would be a dynamic recruiting class, maybe just a dream at this point though.

It's definitely possible. We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players. Hairston looks pretty likely at this point and Harrison Barnes has said that he wants a school that is both a title contender and very strong academically, so Duke looks set to be a leader there. Duke looks to be in surprisingly good position with Knight considering many thought we would not seriously consider Duke. Smith might be the longest shot considering his list is still pretty long and many good schools were recruiting him before us, but he's said that he wouldn't mind playing away from home, so we should be in the running. Obviously, a recruiting class with these four plus Dawkins would be amazing, probably one of the best recruiting classes ever. However, that's a long shot at this point, and I know Duke has backup plans for a lot of these players that it is following closely.

dukefan47
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
its definately a dream but 3 of those five is more likely
4 isnt out of reach but 5 is a long shot

dukemomLA
07-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I trust and believe everything Watzone has to say. Thank you Watzone, for all you add to DBR. We are grateful.

speedevil
07-16-2008, 03:18 AM
I trust and believe everything Watzone has to say. Thank you Watzone, for all you add to DBR. We are grateful.

i too believe in everything watzone post here on dbr

dukefan47
07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
It's definitely possible. We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players. Hairston looks pretty likely at this point and Harrison Barnes has said that he wants a school that is both a title contender and very strong academically, so Duke looks set to be a leader there. Duke looks to be in surprisingly good position with Knight considering many thought we would not seriously consider Duke. Smith might be the longest shot considering his list is still pretty long and many good schools were recruiting him before us, but he's said that he wouldn't mind playing away from home, so we should be in the running. Obviously, a recruiting class with these four plus Dawkins would be amazing, probably one of the best recruiting classes ever. However, that's a long shot at this point, and I know Duke has backup plans for a lot of these players that it is following closely.

i actually expect just a 2 man class for 09: Plumlee and Boynton
The recent offer to Barnes shows (imo) that coach k might not offer wilson or vinson. 2010 should be a 5 or 6 man class though.

My prediction:
PG: Tyler Thornton
SG: Dawkins
PF: Nate Lubick
and maybe 1 more player

dukeballer2294
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
ya it looks like we will only get 3 or 4 in 2010 because smith really likes ucla, although i think we have a good shot at knight.

Duke79UNLV77
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
in one recently linked article, knight listed his top 3 schools as duke, tech of the georgia variety, and miami. i was pleasantly surprised not to see florida on this list. i would think an outside observer would favor duke among the 3 listed. haith's doing a good job, but i'd be happy for knight to take in games at cameron and at miami and draw comparisons. hewitt has shown he can pull in some big recruits, but, other than his 1 final 4 year, i think he has consistently underachieved. plus, since knight has a 4.2 gpa, duke's academics should be a draw.

any particular reason why some don't feel confident about our chances? he sounds like a terrific talent and a great kid.

CameronCrazy'11
07-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I feel a lot more confident about landing Knight now than I did a few months ago. I'm not sure if landing Kenny Boynton would help (Boynton and Knight are friends) or hurt (with Smith, Boynton, and Wiliams that would already be a crowded backcourt).

ice-9
07-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I personally think it's either/or when it comes to Boynton and Knight. On their AAU team Boynton played SG while Knight played PG, but Boynton knows in the NBA he'll have to play PG. Is he willing to play out of position in college especially if he has the talent to be a one-and-done? On top of that, Knight and Boynton are good friends so they probably wouldn't feel too comfortable competing with each other for the PG spot day-in day-out, and Boynton must know that Knight is good enough to potentially unseat him.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing the reason the we haven't offered Knight is because of the above. If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
If he's a "one-and-done," I hope he goes somewhere else.

I think that Lute Olson may be losing it in some ways, but he makes a lot of sense in saying that he won't recruit any more "one-and-dones." I'd prefer having Coach K take the same approach. Duke can attract sufficiently talented, true student-athletes to be competitive without the guys who aren't interested in longer stays in school.

ice-9
07-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't think Coach K is averse to recruiting talent who could potentially be one-and-done. He was quoted as saying that the recruit however must have the mindset of "you never know," i.e. that if you're ready, you're ready, but you should acknowledge the possibility that you might end up need more than a year.

Bob Green
07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.

I don't agree. Brandon Knight is a pure point guard and should be our #1 target in the Class of 2010. He would be the first point guard signed since the Class of 2005 (Greg Paulus):

2006: Jon Scheyer, Gerald Henderson
2007: Nolan Smith
2008: Elliot Williams
2009: Kenny Boynton (Hopefully :))
2010: Andre Dawkins

Every guard we have signed since Greg Paulus has been a combo guard or shooting guard. We need Kenny Boynton in 2009 followed by Brandon Knight in 2010.

Of course, discussing kids who haven't started their junior year of high school doesn't pass the "common sense" or "mental stability" test, but it is cheap entertainment! :cool:

nicktonyg22
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't see why we won't pick up 3 players in the 09 class.

I think we'll have Ma. Plumlee, Boynton and Terrell Vinson (who might be a better prospect and fit than Wilson...scout says Vinson is "noted for his cerebral play" which is a good indicator for Duke).

As far as '10 goes, we'll get 5...but maybe not the best possible 5. Think of our past 5-player classes. Many times there's a bust or a transfer. It's hard to land that many superstars.

I think we'll pick up:
PG Brandon Knight
SG Andre Dawkins
SF Mychal Parker
PF Josh Hairston
C Nate Lubick

yancem
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
The recent offer to Barnes shows (imo) that coach k might not offer wilson or vinson. 2010 should be a 5 or 6 man class though.

My prediction:
and maybe 1 more player

I hope you're wrong about '09 because I think that it would be a big mistake to only bring in 2 players for that year. If we are able to land Boynton he is not likely to stick around for more than 2 years. My gut says that Plumlee is at least a 3 year if not 4 year guy but if he does leave early then that would leave a senior voided class. Then when you look at the primary targets for '10, there is a good chance that we could leave 2 or more of them early. This would eventually put us back in the position that we were in in '07.

I think that K is trying to make sure that he assembles recruiting classes that have at least one 4 year player which means that he should be offering another '09 prospect before too long.

CameronCrazy'11
07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Not to mention, even if we get 3 commits in '09, we still have at least 5 spots for '10. It's not like we really need to "save" a scholarship for '10. If anything we would probably be saving the extra spot for '11 so we could have a three person class there.

Carlos
07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I personally think it's either/or when it comes to Boynton and Knight. On their AAU team Boynton played SG while Knight played PG, but Boynton knows in the NBA he'll have to play PG. Is he willing to play out of position in college especially if he has the talent to be a one-and-done? On top of that, Knight and Boynton are good friends so they probably wouldn't feel too comfortable competing with each other for the PG spot day-in day-out, and Boynton must know that Knight is good enough to potentially unseat him.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing the reason the we haven't offered Knight is because of the above. If Boynton accepts our offer, we'll probably pass on Knight and go with a back-up guard for the 2010 class or with a star guard in the 2011 class. If Boynton declines our offer, I'm guessing that's when the full court press on Knight will commence.

Run this back about half a decade or so and replace Boynton with Jason Williams and Knight with Duhon. Duke has been after both Boynton and Knight for a long time now and they definitely see them in the backcourt together.

If he's a "one-and-done," I hope he goes somewhere else.

I think that Lute Olson may be losing it in some ways, but he makes a lot of sense in saying that he won't recruit any more "one-and-dones." I'd prefer having Coach K take the same approach. Duke can attract sufficiently talented, true student-athletes to be competitive without the guys who aren't interested in longer stays in school.

Yet at the same time Lute has an offer out to 6-9 / 280 lb. big man Josh Smith who would certainly be considered a flight risk.

jv001
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
My prediction:
and maybe 1 more player[/QUOTE]

I like your prediction but I would not be suprised to see it this way;
PG: Knight
SF: Barnes
PF: Hairston
PF: someone not even on our radar(long way to go)
I think we offer Knight regardless of what KB does.

dukechem
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
…We will have enough room for 5 '10 scholarships, assuming we get 3 '09 players…

I sure hope we get the 3'9" guys. No one will be able to get low enough to steal the ball from them. I wonder if they can dunk like Mugsy!

studdlee10
07-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Boynton and Knight can co-exist and are not mutually exclusive. In coach K's 4 out 1-in motion system, the offense never runs through only 1 guard. Does it help to have a very strong PG manning the lead spot? Definitely, but as we saw with J-Will and Duhon, the system is flexible and allows all players in the 1-4 spots to create and play "pg".

While I personally don't think Brandon Knight is a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Derrick Rose, he is definitely in that elite upper echelon. You just don't turn away those type of players, even if you already have depth and talent in place. Especially one with Knight's academic background and priorities.

My impression is that Brandon Knight knows he has an offering coming to him and the staff is in no rush to make it formal since Brandon will not make a decision anytime in the near future. Remember, Nolan will be a senior by the time the '10 class matriculates. PG is absolutely a need in that class and if Knight looks elsewhere we will likely put the full court press on Tyler Thornton or Ray McCallum.

As far as the '09 class goes. If we can find the right fit, I am all for the coaches making a 3rd offer. That said, this class has been exceptionally disappointing and surprisingly weak and I do not want to see the staff offer a third scholarship just for the sake of balancing out classes. If the staff feels Vinson/Wilson aren't up to snuff, I'm fine with them taking a pass. The last thing Duke needs is to bring in more Eric Boatengs, Jamal Boykins, or Taylor Kings just to watch them struggle and inevitably transfer.

I think that while a longshot, there is a good chance Duke lands Knight, Dawkins, Hairston, and Barnes. If they land that group, there is little chance Josh Smith comes to Duke. I think a more realistic class would be Thornton, Dawkins, Hairston, Barnes, and TBD.

speedevil
07-17-2008, 11:37 PM

My prediction:
and maybe 1 more player

so i heard duke just offered tyler thornton. great call dukefan.

Blueequalslife23
07-18-2008, 01:43 AM
My prediction:
and maybe 1 more player

I'm Hoping that 1 more player is Mychal Parker who wouldn't like a 6'6 sf who could be at Duke for 4 years and if we do get Barnes. Parker can fill the gap immediatly after Barnes goes pro.

dukeballer2294
07-18-2008, 01:50 AM
wats the chances barnes is a 1 and done guy?

speedevil
07-18-2008, 03:16 AM
wats the chances barnes is a 1 and done guy?

well if he signs with duke, then i hope he's chances of being 1 and done are great because it would mean the had a great season. but i still hope he stays longer.

ice-9
07-18-2008, 03:19 AM
so i heard duke just offered tyler thornton. great call dukefan.

Does this mean Duke won't offer Knight?

Bob Green
07-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Does this mean Duke won't offer Knight?

It seems we are having the same conversation in two different threads.

I can only offer an opinion and in my opinion the offer to Thornton has no impact on our pursuit of Brandon Knight. We will have at least five scholarships available in 2010 and simultaneously recruiting two point guards isn't extreme.

IMO, Duke will continue to recruit Brandon Knight.

Bob Green
07-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Jody Demling on Harrison Barnes:

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

dukeballer2294
07-19-2008, 12:50 AM
we offered knight

BLUEDEVILS
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
How good would Coach K look if Brandon Knight and Tyler Thornton both commited and Knight was awesome and left after one year and then Thornton turned into another Chris Duhon? He would look pretty freakin good.

RainingThrees
07-20-2008, 11:01 PM
i hope nolan won't be here if we get knight and thornton. to crowded at the point.

BLUEDEVILS
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
^Nolan would get his playing time at the 2 and when Brandon Knight is out we can put him at the point. It would be a learning year for Thornton.

DDB4208
08-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Does anyone have more recent news on Harrison Barnes?

I found a video of him on his Rivals page but nothing else.

roywhite
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have more recent news on Harrison Barnes?

I found a video of him on his Rivals page but nothing else.

I've read that Harrison Barnes had a very active and productive summer, on the basketball travel circuit, including the Nike Global Challenge event in Oregon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3531490

There are some comments about his play in this article. Sounds good.

DDB4208
08-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Thank you that was just what I was looking for. This guy sounds great. That article also talks about Plumlee and Wilson although I guess it didn't have great things to say about them.

CLT Devil
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Is set for Oct. 24-25, same day as Duke v. VA Union game. Good to have him down for a game. Let's give him a big Cameron welcome that night!

He hasn't even really met any of the coaches yet, so this is his first real meeting with K.

BD80
10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
This is an important visit. His skills would be unique on the team.

Who is the assistant taking the lead on his recruitment?

CLT Devil
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure who is the main person in contact with Harrison, but I do know that he hasn't spoken with any of the coaches face-to-face yet, so it could be a great opportunity to make an impression on the young man.

RainingThrees
10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder if it will be cheaper flying or driving from Iowa with the gas prices how they are? Either way he must have a strong interest to want to come from that distance.

Oriole Way
10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
The blurb about Plumlee is disappointing, although I'm not surprised.

6-10 finesse players are not what Duke needs; I hope Mason bulks up and works on his post moves and interior rebounding in traffic.

mo.st.dukie
10-04-2008, 12:47 AM
The blurb about Plumlee is disappointing, although I'm not surprised.

6-10 finesse players are not what Duke needs; I hope Mason bulks up and works on his post moves and interior rebounding in traffic.

Actually Duke can afford to have a finesse post player, at least for his freshman season. Look at the other post players on the team his first year, Kyle Singler is listed at 6'8 235 (same as Patrick Patterson btw) and will be a solid "4" man and could possibly gain another 5 lbs. Zoubek is huge but of course needs to improve his game which I think he will. I expect Olek to be quite good in 09-10 (sophomore season) and could add more muscle to his 240 lb. body. Right there you have three big players. Miles could also add alot of strength by his sophomore year and be up to 235/240+. LT will probably stay right around 220. So I honestly don't think we need a banger that year and Mason will be very good for the team as a finesse player. The next year, however, Duke will need a banger and that's where Josh Smith and Nate Lubick come in along with a finesse post player in Hairston.

Ignatius07
10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Actually Duke can afford to have a finesse post player, at least for his freshman season. Look at the other post players on the team his first year, Kyle Singler is listed at 6'8 235 (same as Patrick Patterson btw) and will be a solid "4" man and could possibly gain another 5 lbs. Zoubek is huge but of course needs to improve his game which I think he will. I expect Olek to be quite good in 09-10 (sophomore season) and could add more muscle to his 240 lb. body. Right there you have three big players. Miles could also add alot of strength by his sophomore year and be up to 235/240+. LT will probably stay right around 220. So I honestly don't think we need a banger that year and Mason will be very good for the team as a finesse player. The next year, however, Duke will need a banger and that's where Josh Smith and Nate Lubick come in along with a finesse post player in Hairston.

Sure Duke could afford to have another finesse post player, but we need a true 5/banger much more (Zoubek is the only one). Even if Singler has the same weight/height at Patterson, I think we all know they have considerably different games. Czyz is 6'7" and supposedly doesn't have great post moves other than dunking at this time. Mason Plumlee is somewhat of a finesse post player, is better than Miles, and will be coming next year. Lance is also what I would call a finesse post player, though mostly due to his lack of strength since he does attempt to play big.

Kedsy
10-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Sure Duke could afford to have another finesse post player, but we need a true 5/banger much more (Zoubek is the only one).

I disagree with everyone who's pining away for a "true 5." With the offensive style Duke played last year and will presumably play again this year, a low post "banger" will only hinder the offense, unless he's also an athlete who can run with the break. Look at Phoenix, the offense Duke's is supposedly modeled after: they had no "true" center and had the best or second best record in the NBA and were very exciting to watch. Then they imported Shaq, ostensibly to help them get further along in the playoffs, and they became an average team, because the big guy couldn't keep up. Seriously, does anybody really think Duke's offense won't score enough points this year?

Now, I will grant that Duke needs someone who can guard the other team's center. Obviously that wore down Singler last year and another player or players who could share that load would help the team. But I'm not sure Zoubek's feet are quick enough to do that effectively, so I'm not sure he'll ever be that guy. And I'm not sure Lance will ever be strong enough to guard the biggest players. And freshmen tend to have a long learning curve on defense at Duke. Still, I think we have to hope that Plumlee or OC are able to take some of that load and/or that Thomas got stronger or Zoubek got quicker.

Sorry, I'm meandering a little. I guess my point is that it doesn't matter if Plumlee is a "finesse" player on offense. If he (or any other big man on the roster) can bring it on D then the team will be fine.

SilkyJ
10-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I guess my point is that it doesn't matter if Plumlee is a "finesse" player on offense. If he (or any other big man on the roster) can bring it on D then the team will be fine.

agreed. i think most people just associate finesse players with being "soft" inside, hence not good at post defense and rebounding. I doubt any of the players we are bringing in are soft, and just in case we have Nate

CameronCrazy'11
10-04-2008, 03:20 PM
agreed. i think most people just associate finesse players with being "soft" inside, hence not good at post defense and rebounding. I doubt any of the players we are bringing in are soft, and just in case we have Nate

Post defense and rebounding are Mason's too biggest strengths, in fact. His offense is what he needs to work on most.

gotham devil
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081202/SPORTS0811/812020382

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
"Barnes is quite a hot topic right now in the recruiting world. Barnes, from Ames, Iowa, traveled to Durham for his second unofficial visit and sat behind the bench in a Duke T-shirt. It was thought that Barnes would have a drawn-out recruitment. But things appear to be loosening up and momentum seems to be building toward what could be an earlier-than-expected commitment to Duke. "

Link (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=912346)

ChicagoCrazy84
02-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Jerry Meyer of Rivals believes Barnes in the near future will commit to Duke!

chrisheery
02-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I hope this is true. He looks totally awesome. He also has incredible size for his position and is already built like a full-grown man. It would be nice to get a guy like that. The 2010 team really does seem to be coming together very well, especially if Plumlee(s) and Kelly fill out a bit and offer some scoring down low.

SMO
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I hope this is true. He looks totally awesome. He also has incredible size for his position and is already built like a full-grown man. It would be nice to get a guy like that. The 2010 team really does seem to be coming together very well, especially if Plumlee(s) and Kelly fill out a bit and offer some scoring down low.

We need some good new pronto! I hope this comes to fruition.

Cormac
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
One of the most important recruits since Johnny D (maybe THE most since Dawkins)? Lets face it, Duke needs NBA, one and done type talent to compete with the big boys. Otherwise, they're going to continue to struggle in February and March.

Ignatius07
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
One of the most important recruits since Johnny D (maybe THE most since Dawkins)? Lets face it, Duke needs NBA, one and done type talent to compete with the big boys. Otherwise, they're going to continue to struggle in February and March.

I would agree that it's critical to have at least one (preferably more) guy on a team who is a one-and-done threat when he steps on campus. I don't know if Barnes is the most important recruit since Dawkins. That's probably going a bit overboard.

sivartrenrag
02-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Lets face it, Duke needs NBA, one and done type talent to compete with the big boys. Otherwise, they're going to continue to struggle in February and March.

I was making that point to some buddies early this season. I hate criticizing K, but I think we need to grab that one player every year that we know will leave. John Wall in 2009, for example. With Kelly and MP2 coming in, and hopefully Singler and Hendo staying, adding Wall would instantly make us a NC contender imo. We would have a scary-athletic PG, possibly the two best wings in the country, Nolan playing at the 2 where he will be a better fit, and enough bodies down low to stay fresh all season and hopefully wreak some havoc.

But I need to keep reminding myself that this season isn't over! Go Duke!

jacalcio18
02-16-2009, 04:57 PM
According to today's 850 the buzz, Dave Telep says Barnes is a lock to go to Duke. I won't allow myself to totally believe it until he's officially committed but it sure would be good news during this slump.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
How good is this kid? He's the #1 ranked SG in the class - but is he obviously dominant?

By this I guess I'm asking if he is among the crop of players you look at and say he's going to be a top player in the conference from the start (i.e. Derick Rose, Michael Beasley, Eric Gordan, Demar Derozen, BJ Mullins, Greg Oden)?

Carlos
02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
You're asking a question nobody can answer - nobody can tell you with an absolute certainty if a guy is going to be "dominant." The other thing is how you define "dominant."

Last year Jrue Holiday was the top WG in the HS class and he's getting 9 ppg for UCLA. The guy right behind him, Tyreke Evans is averaging 17 ppg. In 2006 the top rated WG was Wayne Ellington and while he's always been good, I wouldn't say that until this year he's been one of the top players in the ACC. Same thing with Henderson who was the next rated WG - not until this year can you call him one of the top players in the conference.

IMO, I think it's easier for the top rated point guards and big men to step into a role where they can be one of the top rated players in a conference. Both positions are more likely to impact those around them then the other three spots on the floor.

roywhite
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
How good is this kid? He's the #1 ranked SG in the class - but is he obviously dominant?

FWIW, Barnes is ranked as the #1 Small Forward in his class by Scout and Rivals. Scout lists him at 6'6" 190#, and Rivals lists him at 6'6" 206#. Most reports describe him as a very versatile player.

Your faithful correspondent roywhite saw him on campus last Thursday walking around with Chris Collins. He looked to be every bit of 6'6", maybe a little taller, and fairly slender. disclaimer---that's way above my altitude, so I may not be the best judge.

FireOgilvie
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
FWIW, Barnes is ranked as the #1 Small Forward in his class by Scout and Rivals. Scout lists him at 6'6" 190#, and Rivals lists him at 6'6" 206#. Most reports describe him as a very versatile player.

Your faithful correspondent roywhite saw him on campus last Thursday walking around with Chris Collins. He looked to be every bit of 6'6", maybe a little taller, and fairly slender. disclaimer---that's way above my altitude, so I may not be the best judge.

"Versatile" is the word I would have used as well. I haven't seen him play live (I don't get out to Iowa very often...), but he looks good on video and the scouting reports are all positive. He sounds like a great fit for Duke and we would be fortunate to have him.

Edit: I don't think he will be a 1 and done.

crimsonandblue
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
You're asking a question nobody can answer - nobody can tell you with an absolute certainty if a guy is going to be "dominant." The other thing is how you define "dominant."

Last year Jrue Holiday was the top WG in the HS class and he's getting 9 ppg for UCLA. The guy right behind him, Tyreke Evans is averaging 17 ppg. In 2006 the top rated WG was Wayne Ellington and while he's always been good, I wouldn't say that until this year he's been one of the top players in the ACC. Same thing with Henderson who was the next rated WG - not until this year can you call him one of the top players in the conference.

IMO, I think it's easier for the top rated point guards and big men to step into a role where they can be one of the top rated players in a conference. Both positions are more likely to impact those around them then the other three spots on the floor.

In fairness to Holiday, 9 points is a about a quarter of UCLA's average output per game under Howland.

COYS
02-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Yeah, and that Singler guy was pretty "dominant" for a freshman last year, too. If Carlos is referring to Barnes being a top 5 draft pick after freshman year like Rose, Beasley, Oden, Durant, etc . . . there's no way to know. However, it seems clear that he has the potential to be a truly elite player. I certainly hope the buzz is true and he is coming to Duke.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-17-2009, 02:11 AM
...2010 class is shaping up to be really strong.

watzone
02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
According to today's 850 the buzz, Dave Telep says Barnes is a lock to go to Duke. I won't allow myself to totally believe it until he's officially committed but it sure would be good news during this slump.

Let's be a little more specific here. That was a person calling into the show (David Glenn afternoon show), saying they had a personal conversation with Dave and he said Duke was a lock for Barnes. Number one, I don't think Dave would have said that had he known it'd end up somewhere other than his site and to my knowledge he hasn't said it there, so we are to take this as truth? And two, we are talking of an unnamed guy who called into the show here. IMO, this is the kind of stuff which makes recruiting threads pretty much useless if you are looking for accuracy. FWIW, it's no secret Duke is "the" favorite for Harrison Barnes. I for one would love to see the recruiting threads in this forum revisited in how they are presented for they are getting awfully muddled with he said, she said stuff.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Let's be a little more specific here. That was a person calling into the show (David Glenn afternoon show), saying they had a personal conversation with Dave and he said Duke was a lock for Barnes. Number one, I don't think Dave would have said that had he known it'd end up somewhere other than his site and to my knowledge he hasn't said it there, so we are to take this as truth? And two, we are talking of an unnamed guy who called into the show here. IMO, this is the kind of stuff which makes recruiting threads pretty much useless if you are looking for accuracy. FWIW, it's no secret Duke is "the" favorite for Harrison Barnes. I for one would love to see the recruiting threads in this forum revisited in how they are presented for they are getting awfully muddled with he said, she said stuff.

part of the ups/downs - excitement/distress of following the recruiting process.

SilkyJ
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I would agree that it's critical to have at least one (preferably more) guy on a team who is a one-and-done threat when he steps on campus.

It might help, it might hurt. K is all about chemistry and the "team" philosophy, and bringing in a guy who shakes up your lineup and sends a starter to the bench or reduces others' roles can have a net negative impact on the team, even if he is a stud. Witness: JJ Hickson and State last year.

Barnes looks to be an elite level talent in a very talented class, but I still don't think he's one and done for sure. Time will tell. I must admit, I didn't realize it was "no secret" that Duke is "THE" favorite for his services...encouraging at the least...

roywhite
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Barnes looks to be an elite level talent in a very talented class, but I still don't think he's one and done for sure. Time will tell. I must admit, I didn't realize it was "no secret" that Duke is "THE" favorite for his services...encouraging at the least...

Seems to me I saw somewhere that Harrison Barnes' mother works for Iowa State University? That wouldn't necessarily insure that he would stick around college if the NBA came calling, but it probably works in that direction. Families who work in education tend to have a high regard for the value of a college education and college experience.

Ahh...the life of recruit-niks...first we worry about getting a recruit and then worry about him leaving early.

jv001
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Seems to me I saw somewhere that Harrison Barnes' mother works for Iowa State University? That wouldn't necessarily insure that he would stick around college if the NBA came calling, but it probably works in that direction. Families who work in education tend to have a high regard for the value of a college education and college experience.

Ahh...the life of recruit-niks...first we worry about getting a recruit and then worry about him leaving early.

Yes and that's b4 they even enroll. If we had to bet our life savings on what these young men do when it comes to recruiting we would be living on the streets. Go Duke!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
New video of Harrison Barnes (http://kcci.highschoolplaybook.com/media/ShowMedia.do?mid=1a755ed8390be1423bed44b4317068cc) . He'd look very nice in a Duke uniform. Already looks to have a nose for D (he even takes a charge) and has great body control. Another important piece of a very important class.

Huh?
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
1. What size school is this?

B. I felt like I was watching Princeton Vs. Harvard.

Other than that I love body control too, he seems sneaky like Scheyer snaking away around defenders, but with big time athleticism. I like what I see. There have been some great players come out of Iowa believe it or not. Let's hope he's a Devil!

roywhite
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
1. What size school is this?

Other than that I love body control too, he seems sneaky like Scheyer snaking away around defenders, but with big time athleticism. I like what I see. There have been some great players come out of Iowa believe it or not. Let's hope he's a Devil!

Ames (and their opponent in this video, Waukee) are in the 4-A classification, the largest schools in Iowa. Ames is currently ranked #1 in the state, but have not won a state title since Fred "The Mayor" Hoiberg played for them in 1991.

Barnes appears to be multi-talented.

Oriole Way
02-18-2009, 06:18 AM
I really hope we land this kid.

Obviously the level of competition isn't the best, but the sequence where he drives to the rim and throws down a dunk, and then immediately flies back on defense to reject a shot was awesome.

He's got a great build for his age, and nice handles for his size. If we can get Barnes, the Class of 2010 will be just what the doctor ordered.

Bob Green
02-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Harrison Barnes scored 27 points as Ames HS finished the regular season with a 20-0 record:

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/02/17/ames_tribune/sports/doc499b9d93c834d661533248.txt

crimsonandblue
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Barnes will reportedly attend the Kansas - Iowa State game this evening. (http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=1148)

I will let you know if he wears Iowa State clothing and boos a lot. That would be a bad sign for both of us (Iowa State has the booing-est fans in the history of the sport - in KU's game in Ames this year, they booed the refs when their player was subbed in to intentionally foul and then did his job...repeatedly).

roywhite
02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Barnes' comments in that linked article (also on DBR front page) are currently being analyzed for nuance and meaning by former Kremlin-watchers and Alan Greenspan disciples.

crimsonandblue
02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, the comments mean nothing. He's just being coy and playing the game. You don't wear Duke clothing to the Duke-UNC game in Durham for no reason. He's pretty clearly a Duke lean and I can't imagine anything could happen to change that outside of him coming to his freaking senses.

mdmdukie
02-18-2009, 02:09 PM
The team Ames is playing in that video is a suburban school without a lot of athletes. Ames game on Friday will be different. Des Moines Hoover is pretty athletic at all 5 positions and I think they are at about 16-4.

That being said, I don't know that there is a team in the area that can hang around with Ames until they get to the state tournament. Then there are a couple of teams from the Eastern part of the state who could give them a good game.

I saw Barnes in a recent interview (after the Duke/UNC trip) saying that he wasn't taking any more visits at least until his HS season was over. But that could be subject to change obviously.

crimsonandblue
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, well, he said he wasn't taking anymore trips before March and then up and went to Durham. He's apparently a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants type of guy...

ack, well, forget this article - it's incorrect. no visit after all.

Faison1
02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Anyone know if Harrison had a Kansas or Iowa State shirt on for the Wed. night game between the two programs?

map0924
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
My friend in Iowa said his mom was on the news this morning and theres a very good chance he could decide soon, which is awesome news for us, and she also mentioned he may attend Oak Hill next year for better competition.

mdmdukie
03-06-2009, 08:53 AM
That rumor was floated on our local sports radio station by a guy who likes to put things out there without doing a lot of "fact checking". Barnes family quickly released a statement that there was no merit to him leaving for Oak Hill and wouldn't discuss any future plans until after the season.

Barnes Ames team has qualified for the State Tournament which begins on Wednesday. The Championship game is a week from tomorrow.

roywhite
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
No particular informaton on Mr. Barnes, but the idea of going to Oak Hill (or a similar prep school) for a year makes sense for an elite prospect in my view.

There's a higher level of competition, presumably a higher level of coaching, plus the additional experience of being away from home and perhaps a more rigorous academic environment (from what I've read, Barnes' current high school is very good for a public high school). Good for personal and professional development...a little tough on the family.

watzone
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
No particular informaton on Mr. Barnes, but the idea of going to Oak Hill (or a similar prep school) for a year makes sense for an elite prospect in my view.

There's a higher level of competition, presumably a higher level of coaching, plus the additional experience of being away from home and perhaps a more rigorous academic environment (from what I've read, Barnes' current high school is very good for a public high school). Good for personal and professional development...a little tough on the family.

Barnes is a great student and he plays a big role with his family, especially his sister. While he is not opposed to going away for college, he will finish out his high school career in Iowa. While it is true the comp is not what it would be at an Oak Hill, he had no problem whatsoever adjusting to the NBA Top 100 Camp last season against the nations best. In fact, his stock took off about that time.

dgoore97
03-08-2009, 11:42 PM
but seems like a nice kid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/notebook?page=hallpass/090305

RelativeWays
03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
From what I've read, Barnes comes off as a guy almost taylor made for us, more than Boynton, Monroe, etc. He seems like he's thoughtful, well spoken, driven, values an education, basically everything you'd want from a student athlete.

rotogod00
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
from today's recruiting chat on espn.com

Reggie Rankin: "......Word on the street is Barnes is almost a lock for Duke. Stay tuned."

FireOgilvie
03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
from today's recruiting chat on espn.com

Reggie Rankin: "......Word on the street is Barnes is almost a lock for Duke. Stay tuned."

I'll believe it once I hear HB say it. Barnes has never hinted in ANY direction and people are simply guessing. With that said, I would absolutely love to see Barnes here in two years. The more I read about him, the more I like him. He's the next Battier (although no one can really be Battier... let's be honest).

yancem
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I'll believe it once I hear HB say it. Barnes has never hinted in ANY direction and people are simply guessing. With that said, I would absolutely love to see Barnes here in two years. The more I read about him, the more I like him. He's the next Battier (although no one can really be Battier... let's be honest).

While I would hate to place undue pressure on any young player by saying "he's the next ____", from what I've read he does seem to share some personality traits with Battier. Who knows if he will end up being as good a player or have as decorated of a college career as Battier but I wouldn't be surprised if has more of a statitical impact earlier in career and probably in the nba. He seems to be significantly more athletic and it sounds like his shooting touch, while maybe not in Redick's territory, may be not too far out of it. Here's to hoping we get to see him wearing blue and white in two years.

-jk
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
While I would hate to place undue pressure on any young player by saying "he's the next ____", from what I've read he does seem to share some personality traits with Battier.

But no pressure, man. ;)

-jk

roywhite
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/state-boys-basketball

Here's a link with everything you need to know about the Iowa state playoffs, and the object of our affection, young Mr. Barnes in a 33-picture slideshow!

No inside info, but I suspect we'll hear more about his visits, etc. after the state tournament ends.

Highlander
03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
According to the Bracket, Ames HS plays it's first game tomorrow at 1:30pm ct.

mdmdukie
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Here's a nice read about Harrison in today's paper.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090311/SPORTS0811/903110366

Saratoga2
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Harrison sounds like he fits the Duke mold very well indeed. If he comes, he will be replacing Scheyer perhaps. Having a 6'6" versitile player who can handle, dribble-drive, shoot from outside fits very well with the current approach of starting a guard and small forward line all 6'4" or more. I can imagine him playing with Williams and Smith or another strong point guard to make a very formidable group.

This kid also is well grounded and from a good family and would take to the academic environment.

He would be a really great addition to the team.

Rudy
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Here's a nice read about Harrison in today's paper.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090311/SPORTS0811/903110366

"When the Little Cyclones were knocked out of the postseason a year ago, Harrison took a clipping of the game story from the next day's newspaper and hung it in his room as a reminder that he never, ever wanted to feel that way again."

Echo of Coach K.

roywhite
03-13-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090313/SPORTS0811/90313024

Harrison Barnes scored 23 to pace his team into the Iowa state championship game.

Cornstock
03-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Im watching Barnes in the Iowa state championship game right now. He has two dunks in the first two minutes and looks impressive.

I talked to Barnes yesterday after his semi-final game and he is in no rush to make a decision. I asked him about Duke and he just smiled. Still no indication.

roywhite
03-14-2009, 11:59 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090314/SPORTS0811/90314012

Congratulations to Harrison Barnes and his Ames team for completing an unbeaten season with a 55-45 win in the Iowa State Championship. Barnes led the team with 24 points.

FireOgilvie
03-15-2009, 01:28 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090314/SPORTS0811/90314012

Congratulations to Harrison Barnes and his Ames team for completing an unbeaten season with a 55-45 win in the Iowa State Championship. Barnes led the team with 24 points.

Awesome. Congrats to Harrison and Ames High!

FireOgilvie
03-25-2009, 04:39 AM
I have some bad news about Harrison Barnes. He just picked UNC...

...to win the National Championship this year. Don't have a heart attack... although I almost did anyway.

http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=1343

Hopefully, he is only doing this because he has a history of guessing incorrectly and he's trying to jinx them.

Oh, and he was named Gatorade Iowa Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Nice.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/03/24/ames_tribune/sports/doc49c912d079ebf524040103.txt

yancem
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM

...to win the National Championship this year. Don't have a heart attack... although I almost did anyway.

http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=1343

Hopefully, he is only doing this because he has a history of guessing incorrectly and he's trying to jinx them.

Oh, and he was named Gatorade Iowa Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Nice.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/03/24/ames_tribune/sports/doc49c912d079ebf524040103.txt

Dude, I just woke up! Not nice to use a play on words on the groggy!!!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Dude, I just woke up! Not nice to use a play on words on the groggy!!!

I think its awesome that the first thing you do when you wake up is log on to the DBR forum. Thats dedication

Smitty1911
03-25-2009, 08:51 AM

I hope someone pulls a Chris Paul on you today! :mad:

Travi_K
04-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Who else is all for Memphis letting Xavier Henry out of his commitment? 6'6 210 lb and the only other school listing him with very strong interest is Kansas. I know they are different classes and Henry may end up staying at Memphis but I don't think it could hurt by any means with Barnes. Never knew coach Cal could so directly and indireclty have such a potential influence on our recruiting.

Orange&BlackSheep
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM

And that's a BAD thing??????

Yeesh ....

O&BSheep

Kedsy
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Who else is all for Memphis letting Xavier Henry out of his commitment? 6'6 210 lb and the only other school listing him with very strong interest is Kansas. I know they are different classes and Henry may end up staying at Memphis but I don't think it could hurt by any means with Barnes. Never knew coach Cal could so directly and indireclty have such a potential influence on our recruiting.

I know scholarships seem to be tight at Kansas right now, but why would taking Xavier Henry (a probable one-and-done in the class before Barnes) have any bearing on Harrison Barnes's recruitment?

Travi_K
04-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I know scholarships seem to be tight at Kansas right now, but why would taking Xavier Henry (a probable one-and-done in the class before Barnes) have any bearing on Harrison Barnes's recruitment?

Like I said before, I know they are in different classes, but if Barnes wants to make a decision before the end of next year and the chance Henry even could be there couldn't hurt our chances. I agree, it may have no bearing but again it can't hurt. I am not aware of Kansas scholarship situation either. Also Lance Stehpenson still hasn't decided where he is going but was a heavy lean toward Kansas which may make KU's schollie situation as you were saying too tight for Henry as well.

The1Bluedevil
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Kansas lost two seniors and have two guys committed for next season. Meaning Collins or Aldrich have to be leaving to even possibly consider having Henry or Stephenson arrive on campus. Self has said he won't take away any player's scholarship but the feeling in Kansas is that certain players maybe transfering (I.E. Quintrell Thomas).

dgoore97
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
but sounds like unc contiuing to reach out to harrison barnes..

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=855068&nid=3142748&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d855068%26nid%3 d3142748%26fhn%3d1

BlueintheFace
04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
If Roy Williams grabs Wall and then gets Harrison Barnes after Duke held the lead with him... (shaking head) I don't know if I could take it.

RelativeWays
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
If that were the case, then Duke might have to realize that it holds no distinct advantage over UNC due to its proximity, basketball pedigree and league play. Might be time to leave the ACC behind for the Big East.

SilkyJ
04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
If Roy Williams grabs Wall and then gets Harrison Barnes after Duke held the lead with him... (shaking head) I don't know if I could take it.

hey man, just gotta keep those positive vibes, baby. Woof Woof.

Seriously, don't sweat it, ol' roy just ain't that good ;)

whereinthehellami
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
but sounds like unc contiuing to reach out to harrison barnes..

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=855068&nid=3142748&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d855068%26nid%3 d3142748%26fhn%3d1

UNC already has an elite WF signed for that class in Bullock who is 6-7. That wouldn't make much sense for Barnes.

BD80
04-10-2009, 02:00 PM
hey man, just gotta keep those positive vibes, baby. Woof Woof.

Seriously, don't sweat it, ol' roy just ain't that good ;)

Righteous and hopeful!! Oddball would be proud.

Actually, the scene where Oddball is "drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays" reminds me a lot of 'ol roy. Man, what a tan. I guess you have to have that kind of tan to wear that baby poo blue...

Have faith in Coach K when it comes to the really bright young men like Harrison. It sounds like he is a true student of the game, and will appreciate the level of understanding and coaching Coach K represents. This is where the entirety of what Coach K has developed will come to bear, from the training and learning facility, to the video scouting reports. Harrison is the recruit I would most like to see in a Duke uniform; it seems he would take full advantage of what Duke has to offer.

G man
04-10-2009, 02:05 PM
If that were the case, then Duke might have to realize that it holds no distinct advantage over UNC due to its proximity, basketball pedigree and league play. Might be time to leave the ACC behind for the Big East.

that is horrible! Duke needs its rivals and league play makes it great. Why would we want to give that up?

DDB4208
04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
UNC already has an elite WF signed for that class in Bullock who is 6-7. That wouldn't make much sense for Barnes.

You're right but I think UNC is going to use Bullock as a SG. I have a feeling even if UNC misses on Barnes they will go after the next best SF (6'7'' Roscoe Smith) who they are already recruiting.

freedevil
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
^ RelativeWays did a relatively good job of conveying internet sarcasm...

whereinthehellami
04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
You're right but I think UNC is going to use Bullock as a SG. I have a feeling even if UNC misses on Barnes they will go after the next best SF (6'7'' Roscoe Smith) who they are already recruiting.

If UNC is able to land Wall and Barnes I would truly be in awe at what Roy is doing over there. Bullock and Barnes on the court together would be pretty lethal. No one wonder Roy suffers from vertigo!

Tim1515
04-10-2009, 04:25 PM

I believe the thought is Roscoe and Roy are no longer on the same page. Maybe he was offended when Roy told Barnes he was their only target. In any case...UNC will be a real player in this...hopefully Duke wins out in the end...i like Barnes more and more every time i read about him.

DDB4208
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I believe the thought is Roscoe and Roy are no longer on the same page. Maybe he was offended when Roy told Barnes he was their only target. In any case...UNC will be a real player in this...hopefully Duke wins out in the end...i like Barnes more and more every time i read about him.

UNC was recruiting him as of mid-January but I hope you're right because Roscoe is a very very very good player. And I agree about Barnes, I also think he sounds like a great player/person/student.

RelativeWays
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
^ RelativeWays did a relatively good job of conveying internet sarcasm...

A Michael Stipe once sang, it was a simple prop to occupy my time. I was bored at work yesterday, and that story that DBR linked about SC leaving the ACC over that one recruit, I wondered: If UNC stole enough Duke recruits, would they up and leave, would they go to the Big East, would that be better than the the ACC? Keep in mind, I don't see this happening, nor do I want it to. In some ways though, because of its basketball pedigree, Duke's fan base and appeal, the Big East is a better fit for Duke now than the ACC.
The only downfall to the Big East I could find was that it has way too many teams. Some need to meet the chopping block, outside of that, I couldn't think of one. The UNC rivalry is really the only one we have left that is still relevant and intense, every other rivalry may have a lot of tradition, but they arent current and could easily be replaced by a plethora of Big East heavy hitters. You don't think replacing Wake and State with Louisville or Syracuse wouldn't be exciting. We almost wouldn't miss UNC that much because the hatred between Duke and UConn would certainly be almost as intense, just not steeped in tradition. Duke might actually be a stronger basketball school and maybe an edge in recruiting over what its pulling in now. On the other hand, if Duke or UNC were to ever leave the ACC (or definitely both) the conference would be disbanded not much longer after that.
Again, I'm not championing Duke leaving the ACC, its more one of those "What If" type things, like Marvel comics used to do. It beats talking about these recruits incessantly.

sagegrouse
04-11-2009, 09:21 AM
The only downfall to the Big East I could find was that it has way too many teams. Some need to meet the chopping block, outside of that, I couldn't think of one. .

Three of the premier Big East teams were only too happy to bolt for the ACC. Donna Shalala (ex-HHS Secy and President at the U) emphasized the full partnership that the ACC represents. From the NY Times at the time:

As Shalala was determining Miami's fate over the weekend, with heavy informational input from [AD] Dee, they were both struck by the A.C.C.'s stability in relationship to the Big East, which Shalala called ''more of a 'federation.'''

Miami embraced what the A.C.C. might do for its other sports besides football -- particularly nonrevenue sports where the A.C.C. boasts numerous top programs. But the academic similarity among the universities also played well with Shalala.

''I don't think people glean how important the academics were for us,'' said Clyde McCoy, chairman of the university's Epidemiology and Public Health Department as well as Miami's faculty representative to the N.C.A.A.'

There is no way Duke would ever leave the ACC for the Big East.

sagegrouse

BlueintheFace
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Scout.com has just named Harrison Barnes their new overall #1 prospect. Just thought some might find that interesting.

Brandon Knight is the #1 overall PG prospect. Kyrie Irving is #2, and Ray McCallum is #3.

BleedGopher
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Duke fans, I thought you might enjoy this Q&A with #1 recruit, Harrison Barnes at an AAU tourney this past weekend in Minnesota. Barnes talks about KU, Duke and Minnesota, and the rumor all weekend is that those three are the likely top three, with KU and Duke most likely being the favorites:

http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5416

Bluedog
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the link! Very impressive young man who appears quite humble and very well-spoken.

GH: Do you know what you want to study in college?

HB: Business administration and finance.

Don't think this is a huge deal, but Duke obviously doesn't have a business or finance major. He could always major in Econ, although Econ + basketball would be quite challenging, I'd imagine. Not sure the last basketball player was to major in econ. I know Reggie Love was in Econ 55 when he was playing b-ball during his 5th year, although he got his degree in poly sci and pub pol.

GH: What are the most important factors to you when choosing a school?

HB: I’d say, first and foremost, a school that will set you up academically. The ball can’t bounce forever, you need to have a degree at the end of your playing days. I also want to go to a school that can compete for a national championship.

D-U-K-E!

GH: What about Duke?

HB: Coach K is really basketball savvy, he knows the game extremely well. I think he’s able to effectively share his knowledge and experience with his players, and that’s what makes him so good.

Kedsy
05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey Duke fans, I thought you might enjoy this Q&A with #1 recruit, Harrison Barnes at an AAU tourney this past weekend in Minnesota. Barnes talks about KU, Duke and Minnesota, and the rumor all weekend is that those three are the likely top three, with KU and Duke most likely being the favorites:

http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5416

Thanks, Mr. Gopher. Every time I read an interview with Harrison Barnes he just comes across as such an amazing young man.

GopherBlue
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Here's another article about young Mr. Barnes, again with a Minnesota slant.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/05/getting-to-know-harrison-barne.html

SupaDave
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
All talk of business school majors has been move to the OTB...

roywhite
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
What would be a good first name for the son of Iowa State basketball star Ronnie Harris?

MJS4Duke11
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Inside Carolina is reporting that Harrison Barnes is visiting UNC

Harrison Barnes Visit Info
The plan for Harrison Barnes is to visit North Carolina the day after NBPA Camp in Charlottesville (Va.). Barnes and his mother will leave Charlottesville on June 21st and drive to Chapel Hill, where they plan to spend a few days and participate in Roy Williams' kids camp.

Barnes was terrific this past weekend at the Pangos All-American Camp in Long Beach (Calif.). He's truly taken his game to the next level this year and appears to be separating himself from all of the competition in the 2010 class.

Last edited Today 7:09 AM by ICAdmin

DDB4208
06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Inside Carolina is reporting that Harrison Barnes is visiting UNC

He's visiting Duke the next day.

yancem
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM

And I believe that will be his third visit to Duke!

MJS4Duke11
06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, I understand that we are still in very good position for Barnes... just dont want the baby blues making any more progress on the Barnes front

Bsim412
06-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I think Duke could possibly land Barnes on that visit. Leslie McDonald visited Carolina then Duke one weekend and picked the Tarheels after visiting Duke. This could happen but hopefully in favor of Duke! :)

DDB4208
06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I think Duke could possibly land Barnes on that visit. Leslie McDonald visited Carolina then Duke one weekend and picked the Tarheels after visiting Duke. This could happen but hopefully in favor of Duke! :)

No, he isn't going to commit then. He said he is taking all 5 official visits before deciding on a school and he has yet to take any.

roywhite
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
No, he isn't going to commit then. He said he is taking all 5 official visits before deciding on a school and he has yet to take any.

Such proclamations have a way of changing, particularly in recruiting. Glad to hear he's visiting Duke again, and bringing Mom along this time. Sounds to me like 2 of 2 decision makers will be present.

Whether it be June or October, I do look forward to Mr. Barnes announcing for Duke.

Bsim412
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I still think he will pick Duke in the long run. He is smart and probably doesn't want to pass down the academics that Duke offers. :)

Devilsfan
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Let's hope an elite education means a lot to him. Remember an elite education meant a lot to the Obamas and look where they ended up. Not too shabby.

SilkyJ
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Let's hope an elite education means a lot to him. Remember an elite education meant a lot to the Obamas and look where they ended up. Not too shabby.

Huh? Were the obamas recruited to their undergraduate destination(s) for sports?

CDu
06-01-2009, 08:46 PM

A liberal arts degree from UNC-CH isn't dramatically of lower quality than that from Duke. And that's assuming the kid stays around long enough to graduate. If he's as good as his evaluations suggest, he's likely to leave early.

And I'm not really sure how the reference to the Obamas applies to a kid who is very likely going to play in the NBA.

DDB4208
06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I still think he will pick Duke in the long run. He is smart and probably doesn't want to pass down the academics that Duke offers. :)

I like you and your optimism. It cheers me up. I have a good feeling about Harrison Barnes too. He seems like what you would get if G and Shane had a baby. A very athletic, good shooter, good at defense, well spoken and an overall good person.

FireOgilvie
06-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I like you and your optimism. It cheers me up. I have a good feeling about Harrison Barnes too. He seems like what you would get if G and Shane had a baby. A very athletic, good shooter, good at defense, well spoken and an overall good person.

Yeah... awkward image there. :eek:

I have not had the chance to see him play a game live, although everything I've heard and read about him sounds great. He seems like he would be a fantastic fit at Duke.

Bob Green
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
He seems like what you would get if G and Shane had a baby.

The most bizarre post I've ever read on DBR.

yancem
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Such comments didn't stop Greg Monroe or Kenny Boynton from canceling visits to Duke and committing to G'Town and Florida respectively. You can't count any statement made by a recruit as written in stone. While I doubt that Barnes will commit that weekend, it will be his third visit (one was even a surprise to K) and his mom will be there. It certainly is possible that he could decide to end the circus before it gets into full swing and go ahead and commit.

Stranger things certainly have happened!

BD80
06-02-2009, 09:42 AM
... I have a good feeling about Harrison Barnes too. He seems like what you would get if G and Shane had a baby. A very athletic, good shooter, good at defense, well spoken and an overall good person.

Yeah... awkward image there. :eek: ...

The most bizarre post I've ever read on DBR.

How about the result of a violent collision, the kind that get so much cheese in the Cheez-It: Gerald driving to the hoop and Shane taking the charge. When the smoke clears, one player rises from the floor - Harrison Barnes!

Inside Carolina is reporting that Harrison Barnes is visiting UNC ...

This makes me chuckle. On his visit to UNC, he stops by with his Mom to say hi to Coach K. This guy sounds too good to be true. He could be up there with Shane and Grant as the face of Duke basketball.

Franzez
06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Harrison is a 3-4 year player, Im not sure people here actually realize this.

He could definetly become the next Shane or Grant.

whereinthehellami
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Where are you getting that from?

SupaDave
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM

He could definetly become the next Shane or Grant.

He's as 3-4 years as Luol Deng was. Just b/c he'd like to stay doesn't mean he will.

Franzez
06-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Where are you getting that from?
Hes not a surefire top NBA prospect without having a great freshmen season.

Of course he could leave early and be drafted in the late teens or early 20's.

Franzez
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
He's as 3-4 years as Luol Deng was. Just b/c he'd like to stay doesn't mean he will.
I dont think Barnes' entire family lived in a war torn country with a genocide going on.:rolleyes:

Gerald did 3 years, the real production came as a Junior and he left early while his stock was high.

SupaDave
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I dont think Barnes' entire family lived in a war torn country with a genocide going on.:rolleyes:

Gerald did 3 years, the real production came as a Junior and he left early while his stock was high.

I think you should tread lightly when predicting another person's NEED and/or desire to do certain things.

SilkyJ
06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hes not a surefire top NBA prospect without having a great freshmen season.

Says who? Scout has him as the NUMBER ONE player in his class. He's 6'6", can shoot, and is athletic. You show me a link from a reputable source saying he's not a surefire NBA prospect. In the meantime, allow me to demonstrate a copy and paste:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

6th Man
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Was last weekend when Barnes was supposed to work the UNC camp and come to Duke to finish his visit? If so, did anyone hear anything about it?

6th Man
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
My bad....that's in a couple of weeks. I see it in this very thread.

SeattleIrish
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
This thread is getting very snarky, for a thread that's supposed to be about an outstanding prospect's interest in our program.

Just a plea for a little more civility and a little less snark.

s.i.

SilkyJ
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
This thread is getting very snarky, for a thread that's supposed to be about an outstanding prospect's interest in our program.

Just a plea for a little more civility and a little less snark.

s.i.

Fair enough, and I'm a wee-bit guilty, but Franzez is making declarative statements and providing no sources, references, links, nada. That kind of posting is rarely tolerated on the DBR, and for good reason.

flyingdutchdevil
06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Is Duke Barnes's favorite? For the record, where do these statements come from? Did I miss an article?

Like everyone else, I really want this guy to come to Duke, but I know little about his recruitment.

darkblue2769
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
According to Scout, Duke is listed as of "high interest" along with Kansas. Now, I'm not sure what that's worth, if anything, but it's nice that it at least looks like we have a good chance at getting Barnes.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748

BlueintheFace
06-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh Boy... a few people here are about to get sick:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/106530-nations-top-recruit-leaning-to-jayhawks?eref=fromSI

roywhite
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/106530-nations-top-recruit-leaning-to-jayhawks?eref=fromSI

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12585998?nclick_check=1

Came from this column in the St. Paul paper.

Not much detail, or attribution, but who knows?

yancem
06-14-2009, 07:49 PM

If we have learned nothing else over the past few years, its that small posts/articles like this are about as accurate as "my brother's girlfriend's cousin says he knows a guy who heard from a friend that ..." statements.

It's early in the game and Barnes may or may not sign with Kansas but anything that doesn't quote the player, the player's coach or the player's parent is mere speculation. Nothing to see hear. These are not the droids you're looking for ...

SupaDave
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
If we have learned nothing else over the past few years, its that small posts/articles like this are about as accurate as "my brother's girlfriend's cousin says he knows a guy who heard from a friend that ..." statements.

It's early in the game and Barnes may or may not sign with Kansas but anything that doesn't quote the player, the player's coach or the player's parent is mere speculation. Nothing to see hear. These are not the droids you're looking for ...

First things first. I know the knee jerk is to go "Oh, Kansas!" or "Don't worry what THEY say"...

But technically according to post 175 listing the scout interest he IS a Kansas lean - AND a Duke lean too. If I was reporting from the other side of the country then I would interpret that as a Kansas lean - "pooh pooh on Duke - don't they get enough press? Plus we want him over here."

I wouldn't take as nothing more than a restatement of fact. Just know that the entire program would like to see Harrison Barnes in a Duke jersey so he's getting plenty of attention.

NSDukeFan
06-15-2009, 08:16 AM

I love this quote. That was great for a morning laugh.

Newton_14
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
If it were October 15th rather than June I would be a bit more concerned about the Kansas "lean", if that is even accurate. Alot can change between now and the fall.

Sure he could give a verbal tomorrow, but from everything I have read about him, he wants to take his 5 official visits and evaluate properly. No need to panic yet..

johaad
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows what is supposed to go on at this Duke meeting with Harrison thats coming up?

SupaDave
06-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Even though it seems the BR will let anyone write an article, I will post this on HB...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/199454-the-most-important-recruit-in-the-history-of-duke-basketball

Kedsy
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Even though it seems the BR will let anyone write an article, I will post this on HB...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/199454-the-most-important-recruit-in-the-history-of-duke-basketball

I question the premise, the logic, and the conclusion drawn by this article. But maybe that's just me.

SupaDave
06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I question the premise, the logic, and the conclusion drawn by this article. But maybe that's just me.

I agree b/c our most important recruit is coaching Stanford right now...

Devilsfan
06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey, in regards to that article, Kentucky wasn't Kentucky until it landed next years class. Things can turn around real fast in college. Mr. Barnes coming to Durham in 2010 would make Duke the team to beat (if they weren't already) in imho.

RelativeWays
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Barnes is not our most important recruit ever, nobody can really say what impact a player has on a program until he's done. His recruitment and possible commitment (or declining to go elsewhere) probably will have a a decent impact on Duke's image as far as recruiting goes. Its not just because he's highly touted, but his image and personality seem to fit the Duke ideal player. Many have compared his game to Grant Hill or his work ethic and personality to Shane Battier. Compared to Boynton, Monroe, Wall, Wright or Patterson, players that could fit in most anywhere, Harrison comes the closest out of all of them as a Duke player. Going by what everyone else has said, its easy to imagine him playing for Duke versus the other schools. If we don't land him, there could be some negative reprocussions on Duke's image at least as far as outsiders, media pundits and even future recruiting targets are concerned.

Duke #33
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Compared to Boynton, Monroe, Wall, Wright or Patterson, players that could fit in most anywhere, Harrison comes the closest out of all of them as a Duke player.

While he(Barnes) fits the Duke mold well, you could have said the exact same thing with Monroe.

Kedsy
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
If we don't land him, there could be some negative reprocussions on Duke's image at least as far as outsiders, media pundits and even future recruiting targets are concerned.

Would anybody actually care if Duke's image took a hit with outsiders and the media?

The only downside I can imagine (although I don't believe any recruit would care whether or not we get one particular kid) is in theory recruits might feel differently about Duke based on the media's perspective. Does anybody here know if that's actually true? My guess is the only people who in fact would perceive a difference would be the media themselves and the fans. I think we fret over Duke's image but in real life this is a non-issue.

flyingdutchdevil
06-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Would anybody actually care if Duke's image took a hit with outsiders and the media?

The only downside I can imagine (although I don't believe any recruit would care whether or not we get one particular kid) is in theory recruits might feel differently about Duke based on the media's perspective. Does anybody here know if that's actually true? My guess is the only people who in fact would perceive a difference would be the media themselves and the fans. I think we fret over Duke's image but in real life this is a non-issue.

I have to respectfully disagree. The recruiting game has dozens of variables - the college coaches, the AAU coaches, the high school coaches, the parents, the friends, the location of the college; there are so many factors. Another factor, which I don't think is that uncommon, is the image of the school's recruiting. For instance, if a player is deciding between two schools and choose one, a lot of people will be thinking to themselves "why did he choose that school, and why DIDN'T he choose the other school?". If this happens frequently, especially in high-profile recruitment battles, then the media will catch on and say that there is something wrong with the school/school's recruitment/coach. Will the media question the recruit? Of course - but more often than not, the recruit is of great character. Recruits follow the media (much like the media follows the recruits) and try to infer what is wrong with a particular school since another recruit didn't choose it.

Bottom line, losing Barnes, given how much time Coach K has spent with him, is a not-so-good thing for future recruiting at Duke. Other recruits will pick this up from the media.

whereinthehellami
06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't get this whole concern over whether Duke is an recruiting machine or not and what the perception of that will be in the media. It is what it is. Recruiting is nasty. Always has been and always will be. Other coaches haven't been waiting for media perceptions to use against elite teams like Duke. They have been recruiting negatively against Duke and the elites since they first stepped on their repsective campuses. Bottom line is Duke is Duke as long as Coach K is there. With Coach K, Duke is a threat to land any talent they want. But Duke is Duke. A small, private, ivy-like school that does not appeal to all elite athletes.

Kedsy
06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. The recruiting game has dozens of variables - the college coaches, the AAU coaches, the high school coaches, the parents, the friends, the location of the college; there are so many factors. Another factor, which I don't think is that uncommon, is the image of the school's recruiting. For instance, if a player is deciding between two schools and choose one, a lot of people will be thinking to themselves "why did he choose that school, and why DIDN'T he choose the other school?". If this happens frequently, especially in high-profile recruitment battles, then the media will catch on and say that there is something wrong with the school/school's recruitment/coach. Will the media question the recruit? Of course - but more often than not, the recruit is of great character. Recruits follow the media (much like the media follows the recruits) and try to infer what is wrong with a particular school since another recruit didn't choose it.

Bottom line, losing Barnes, given how much time Coach K has spent with him, is a not-so-good thing for future recruiting at Duke. Other recruits will pick this up from the media.

You're free to disagree; I don't know what the true answer is.

My point is that while many fans believe what you say is true, very few of us were in the recruit's position or have spoken to any recruits to know if it's actually true.

I realize kids can be influenced in many ways. I also know (in other areas of life) that the media's perceived influence is overhyped. If Coach K is sitting in your living room, do you think "hmm, the media said this guy's a has-been so I'm going to ignore him,"? Do you think "he couldn't even land Harrison Barnes, he doesn't have enough clout for me"? It's possible, but IMO it's hard to believe that would be a kid's reaction.

SupaDave
06-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Well this thread is about Harrison - not Duke's recruiting. Let's remember that.

roywhite
06-17-2009, 09:21 PM
http://boxofmess.com/?cat=8

Interesting brief interview with Harrison Barnes (scroll down a little in the site linked).

Classic comments about Calipari, Memphis, and Kentucky.

Lightz
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
This is great:

Q: "How has the departure of John Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky impacted you?

Harrison: It hasn’t really. He’s a good coach. I don’t know if I like the way they’re doing things right there now though. Seems like he left Memphis kind of in a bad situation and then guys at Kentucky are getting their scholarships taken back. I don’t know yet. It’s a competitive place though, you know college basketball, and it’s only getting more and more competitive."

Funny considering everything I've ever heard from Harrison about ANY college up to this point has been overwhelmingly positive. Hopefully we can land him over Kansas, I think his visit is this weekend.

Duke #33
06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
With his comments about Calipari, Memphis, and Kentucky, I am liking him more and more. :D

Devilsfan
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
This is a Duke kid if their ever was one. We haven't had a top IMPACT TARGET that really was a Duke type kid (Battier, JWil, etc.) since Kyle, imo. I hope we can land Mr. Barnes. Hope his trip down the road goes ok, JUST OK nothing to write home about.

Franzez
06-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Im guessing my post about him not being an instant 1 & Done was removed, if he comes to Duke espescially as a wing player at the 3 he will have to adapt to our system.

I think he will be a very good player, but more on the lines of an impressive wing freshman like Williams & Henderson who develops their game after a few years.

roywhite
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090619/SPORTS0811/906200320

Nice article on Harrison Barnes from the Des Moines paper.

One of my favorite lines from the article:
"Van Coleman, an Iowa-based recruiting analyst who's been in the business for more than 30 years, said Barnes reminds him of Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng and his basketball smarts are reminiscent of Grant Hill."

Hmmm...what do those two have in common?

-jk
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Im guessing my post about him not being an instant 1 & Done was removed, if he comes to Duke espescially as a wing player at the 3 he will have to adapt to our system.

Odd. When did you post it? I see no record of any of your posts being deleted in the past month.

-jk

Lightz
06-20-2009, 12:31 PM

I think he will be a very good player, but more on the lines of an impressive wing freshman like Williams & Henderson who develops their game after a few years.

With all due to respect to Elliot and G I think Barnes's game is a bit further along at this point than either of those two's were. I think he'll have a big impact wherever he goes as soon as he starts, Dawkins is a better comparison to those two (being 6'4 and being ranked similarly among the SGs)

Lord Ash
06-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Any chance he might commit this weekend at Duke? It has happened before...

Indoor66
06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Any chance he might commit this weekend at Duke? It has happened before...

Consulting tea leaves as we speak....:)

jimsumner
06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
You mean there's a chance?

mgtr
06-20-2009, 05:50 PM
There is always a chance -- otherwise we wouldn't play the game!

SupaDave
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090619/SPORTS0811/906200320

Nice article on Harrison Barnes from the Des Moines paper.

One of my favorite lines from the article:
"Van Coleman, an Iowa-based recruiting analyst who's been in the business for more than 30 years, said Barnes reminds him of Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng and his basketball smarts are reminiscent of Grant Hill."

Hmmm...what do those two have in common?

Anyone else notice that he's now talking about a school with a strong ECON department....

JG Nothing
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Anyone else notice that he's now talking about a school with a strong ECON department....

There is no mention of economics departments in the article. The writer suggests that Barnes is looking for a strong "business program." There is a huge difference between studying business and economics.

johaad
06-20-2009, 07:42 PM
There is no mention of economics departments in the article. The writer suggests that Barnes is looking for a strong "business program." There is a huge difference between studying business and economics.

But he did say this...

"It's important because I need a school with a lot of connections in economics, to set me up with internships and job opportunities after college," Barnes said.

Devilsfan
06-20-2009, 08:06 PM
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from Duke coupled with a good G.P.A. is pretty impressive. Businesses headed by Dukies all over America have internship programs.

Indoor66
06-20-2009, 08:54 PM
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from Duke coupled with a good G.P.A. is pretty impressive. Businesses headed by Dukies all over America have internship programs.

Even GM. Ooooops.

SupaDave
06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
But he did say this...

"It's important because I need a school with a lot of connections in economics, to set me up with internships and job opportunities after college," Barnes said.

Right - and you would think he said that after looking at what certain schools had to offer - i.e. strong ECON depts...

walras
06-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Check it out:

http://www.econ.duke.edu

JG Nothing
06-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Right - and you would think he said that after looking at what certain schools had to offer - i.e. strong ECON depts...

When Barnes talks about "economics connections" I am sure he means business connections. He mentions reading a book by Warren Buffett, not Amartya Sen or someone like that.

There is a huge difference between economics departments and business schools. Modern economics is dominated by the mathematical study of human behavior. Business schools teach students how to run businesses. This distinction is important because there is no undergraduate major in business at Duke, although I think you can get a certificate in management or something like that.

Having said that, I am sure there is a great Duke network in the business world. Probably the second most common stereotype of Duke undergrads (besides the New Jersey thing) is that they all go into investment banking. ;)

Devilsfan
06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd rather have an Economics Degree from Duke than a business degree from chapels hill.

jimsumner
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I rather suspect that if a athlete with high name recognition wished to leverage a Duke degree into an opening into the business world, some options would be available.

SupaDave
06-21-2009, 05:36 PM
When Barnes talks about "economics connections" I am sure he means business connections. He mentions reading a book by Warren Buffett, not Amartya Sen or someone like that.

There is a huge difference between economics departments and business schools. Modern economics is dominated by the mathematical study of human behavior. Business schools teach students how to run businesses. This distinction is important because there is no undergraduate major in business at Duke, although I think you can get a certificate in management or something like that.

Having said that, I am sure there is a great Duke network in the business world. Probably the second most common stereotype of Duke undergrads (besides the New Jersey thing) is that they all go into investment banking. ;)

I'm not sure what you are trying to argue. If he wants economic connections or business connections doesn't really matter b/c Duke has both.

That fact of the matter is that he went from speaking of business to talking about economics - something that would suggest he's been looking at economics programs and how they relate to business at the schools he's interested in. He's a smart kid and he's doing his homework.

And as far as the stereotype goes - well you just sound silly.

SupaDave
06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I rather suspect that if a athlete with high name recognition wished to leverage a Duke degree into an opening into the business world, some options would be available.

You could be the right hand man of the President of the United States!!! :)

yancem
06-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Even GM. Ooooops.

Yeah, now GM is run by a Harvard Law grad;)

ice-9
06-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

Hopefully someone close to Barnes has explained all this.

quickgtp
06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Pre-business types at Duke (i.e. those that get jobs in finance and consulting) tend to be Econ grads with perhaps a certificate in Markets & Management. As long as you select your classes carefully within these two departments, you can get a very good business education.

Personally, I think getting a business degree for undergrad is a waste of time. 18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

I agree with you 100% on this one. I received my B.S. in Finance, but honestly it didn't mean much to me at the time. Now I am going back and getting my B.S. in Accounting (to obtain the CPA next year) and while I take my classes I think: how much more I would have understood/enjoyed my Finance classes now that I have "real-world" experience?

m g
06-22-2009, 09:56 AM
The business school is working on a finance for undergrads program, which could help attract a recruit like Barnes. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of link for this - I'm a rising junior and my dad is one of the people working on it. He suggested that I take advantage of it, so I'd imagine that it will be available in the next two years.

flyingdutchdevil
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Ahhhh, yes, someone with sense has commented on the subject!

Only a handful of universities offer business degrees, and they are generally laughed at by the rest of the academic world. 18 year olds should not know how to run a business - rather, they should be learning how multiple businesses (ie the economy) is run on a marco scale (ie an Econ degree).

Unfortunately, IMO, the markets and management certificate is quite useless (I didn't get one but many of my friends got one). It's interesting but doesn't provide you with much. Just learn econ from Fullenkamp and you're good to go!

SilkyJ
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Just learn econ from Fullenkamp and you're good to go!

Mr. Bowtie himself. Since graduating I think I use more of what Fullenkamp taught me than all of my other classes combined.

Greg_Newton
06-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Only a handful of universities offer business degrees, and they are generally laughed at by the rest of the academic world.

No offense, but that's a pretty ridiculous and sweeping statement to make. Sure, there certain schools with catch-all "business" majors that are a little silly, but do you really think an undergraduate finance degree from somewhere like Wharton is laughable compared to an Econ degree from Duke?

I mean, I hope Harrison does, but...

SilkyJ
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
do you really think an undergraduate finance degree from somewhere like Wharton is laughable compared to an Econ degree from Duke?

Of course it isn't laughable, but you said a FINANCE degree, not a BUSINESS degree, like FDD said.

A "business" degree incorporates finance, marketing, sales, management, etc., so they are not one in the same.

Only a handful of universities offer business degrees (emphasis added)

Greg_Newton
06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Of course it isn't laughable, but you said a FINANCE degree, not a BUSINESS degree, like FDD said.

A "business" degree incorporates finance, marketing, sales, management, etc., so they are not one in the same.

Well... that is true in some cases, but the degree given by many of the top undergrad programs for say, finance, is a BS in business or commerce (with a concentration in finance or the appropriate area).

I'll shut up now because I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, I just had to come to the defense of my degree!:D

Kedsy
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Well... that is true in some cases, but the degree given by many of the top undergrad programs for say, finance, is a BS in business or commerce (with a concentration in finance or the appropriate area).

I'll shut up now because I don't think we're disagreeing in principle, I just had to come to the defense of my degree!:D

I have a business degree from Duke, too, and I never thought it was laughable. At least not any more than any other degree.

I think the overall point is HB can get the kind of education he's looking for from Duke even though he won't technically be a "business" major. My guess is he already knows this.

6th Man
06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Harrison Barnes come to DUKE! If there was ever the perfect match between an athlete and a school this is it.

He appears to be of the Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Jason Williams mold. Unbelievable talent and amazing head on his shoulders. Probably no coincidence that those 3 players had a hand in our 3 National Championships. All talented and smart. Come on Harrison...bring us the 4th banner. Come to DUKE!

Devilsfan
06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
A starter couldn't have said it any better!

Lord Ash
06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Did Barnes just have a visit to UNC and Duke? If so, any news on how it went?

shadowfax336
06-29-2009, 04:38 PM
any info here?

roywhite
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Did Barnes just have a visit to UNC and Duke? If so, any news on how it went?

Saw some reports about his visit to Chapel Hill, where he attended one of their camps, and spent some time with Ole Roy. Sounded like Team Barnes was generally impressed.

Haven't seen much about his stop in Durham. In rose-colored tea-leaves reading, I kind of like that. The kid raves about every school he visits, but has visited Duke more often, and now is not saying much.

Seems like a great fit...hope he comes to Duke.

Greg_Newton
06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I've seen a few snippets from subscription articles over the past week or so confirming that A) HB came away with a good overall impression of UNC, and B) (maybe more importantly) HB did also visit Duke while he was in town.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything else about Carolina, and I have to think it's a good sign that he stopped by to see "the good guys" once again during his UNC visit.

I would certainly be curious as to if any of our "insiders" have heard anything more on this, though...:cool:

roywhite
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/06/26/harrison.barnes/index.html

Nice feature article from SI on Harrison Barnes.

BD80
06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/06/26/harrison.barnes/index.html

Hope the handwritten letters are from our staff. Sounds like that school will be tough to beat.

moonpie23
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
this kid is pretty smart......and the fact that he referred to Condoleezza Rice as "the third most powerful person in the world" instead of "minion of satan" would imho make me think that perhaps his politics might be right leaning.....i know that's a stretch from just one statement, but......stilllllll....

-jk
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
this kid is pretty smart......and the fact that he referred to Condoleezza Rice as "the third most powerful person in the world" instead of "minion of satan" would imho make me think that perhaps his politics might be right leaning.....i know that's a stretch from just one statement, but......stilllllll....

Let's not get sidetracked, please.

-jk

moonpie23
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
not getting off track.....it would seem that if the young man's politics ran along his perspective coach's party lines, that would be as positive as hand-written letters from staff.....

no?

SMO
06-30-2009, 08:54 AM
18-22 year olds simply haven't experienced enough to appreciate a "soft" science like business. This is why all the top schools -- even those with top tier MBA programs -- like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. do not offer an undergrad business degree.

This is largely unrelated to the topic and perhaps one of the most incomplete arguments I've seen on this board! How many 18-22 year olds have experienced enough to appreciate soft sciences like sociology? You could make a similar argument for many disciplines, not just business. Everybody at that age is relatively inexperienced, that's why they go to school!

"all the top shcools" not offering undergrad business degrees has little or nothing to do with your line of reasoning. It's more about $ and resources. Are Penn (Wharton), Cornell and MIT not top schools? They all offer undergrad business degrees.

SupaDave
06-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Seriously, all bs aside, this is a kid to get excited over. This is the kid whose thread should be the length of the "John Wall" thread. This is the kid that could probably sell me some Nikes right now. And you guys wanna debate business schools?

I don't know about yall but I need to see a few more Harrison Barnes mix tapes, and since he's so silky smooth, perhaps with a little Miles Davis in the background.

Handwritten letters for donations? Wow. In the day of modern computer that is something rarely done and the sentiment does indeed go a long way - especially when that kid probably had you at "hello".

And then the mom... I love her! Downplays making varsity and plays a little chess by stopping through Duke unannounced - something you do when apparently something seems to good to be true (and it appears to continue to hold up might I add). Just wonderful.

The Jordan obsession is not unheard of in my world but what's sweet about hers in particular is that she has NO video of Michael Jordan in a UNC uniform. Just a little reading through and smudging the lines on my part. :)

I mean, geez, does he speak italian when he's delivering babies in the back of cabs that he's driving? I'm simply blown away by this kid.

Have I gushed enough?

yancem
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Seriously, all bs aside, this is a kid to get excited over. This is the kid whose thread should be the length of the "John Wall" thread. This is the kid that could probably sell me some Nikes right now. And you guys wanna debate business schools?

I don't know about yall but I need to see a few more Harrison Barnes mix tapes, and since he's so silky smooth, perhaps with a little Miles Davis in the background.

Handwritten letters for donations? Wow. In the day of modern computer that is something rarely done and the sentiment does indeed go a long way - especially when that kid probably had you at "hello".

And then the mom... I love her! Downplays making varsity and plays a little chess by stopping through Duke unannounced - something you do when apparently something seems to good to be true (and it appears to continue to hold up might I add). Just wonderful.

The Jordan obsession is not unheard of in my world but what's sweet about hers in particular is that she has NO video of Michael Jordan in a UNC uniform. Just a little reading through and smudging the lines on my part. :)

I mean, geez, does he speak italian when he's delivering babies in the back of cabs that he's driving? I'm simply blown away by this kid.

Have I gushed enough?

I think a little man crush is well deserved. He does sound like he comes from a similar mold as two of Duke's greatest Hill and Battier. Hopefully he will come to Duke so that we can continue the tradition of not only having great basketball players but having great individuals who also play basketball (really well by the way).

SG24
06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I just read this article on highschoolhoop.com, that Harrison Barnes took a secret visit to Duke after he sorry Chapel Hill. Were this close...
read the article for yourself
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/06/best-high-school-player-in-the-country-sneaks-a-duke-visit/

UrinalCake
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
That's quite a picture there. He's so fast, the camera can't even keep up!

dukejunkie
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Have I gushed enough?

This kid sounds like a great fit for Duke. I was just a little confused at the line in the article that mentioned the hand written requests for donations. I'm concerned that it sounded like a possible NCAA violation. Does anyone know how kids normally fund their AAU trips?

If Wall was directly requesting donations could you imagine how that would have gone over with the UK commitment? Hopefully what Barnes is doing is customary and acceptable. It sounds like his intentions are always in the right place and it will be great if he chooses to enroll at Duke.

SupaDave
06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
This kid sounds like a great fit for Duke. I was just a little confused at the line in the article that mentioned the hand written requests for donations. I'm concerned that it sounded like a possible NCAA violation. Does anyone know how kids normally fund their AAU trips?

If Wall was directly requesting donations could you imagine how that would have gone over with the UK commitment? Hopefully what Barnes is doing is customary and acceptable. It sounds like his intentions are always in the right place and it will be great if he chooses to enroll at Duke.

Well I'm sure he writes the letters on the behalf of the team and the money goes to the team and not directly to him. As long as a college is not giving the money then it seems to be fine. It's fundraising just like selling rice krispies treats...

It's a dirty game. This article should help.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/30/AR2006123000194.html

dukejunkie
06-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Well I'm sure he writes the letters on the behalf of the team and the money goes to the team and not directly to him. As long as a college is not giving the money then it seems to be fine. It's fundraising just like selling rice krispies treats...

It's a dirty game. This article should help.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/30/AR2006123000194.html

Thanks for the link. It's a good article. However, it's still a little fuzzy to me. There is no mention of players getting involved in the fundraising.

I've read on DBR that alumni should stay away from recruits. If, for example, Barnes directly (but unknowingly) solicits donations from a UNC grad, does that cause an issue for UNC's recruitment of him?

The article seems to suggest that AAU coaches getting involved in fundraising is a sketchy practice. However, my opinion is that it would be even more dicey if specific players start getting involved in the funding issues.

By the way, I hear Duke has an insatiable appetite for rice krispies treats ;-) ;-)

roywhite
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Seriously, all bs aside, this is a kid to get excited over. This is the kid whose thread should be the length of the "John Wall" thread.

Would he be familiar with the translation from Latin?

Eruditio et Religio et Ludus canistri

SupaDave
06-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Would he be familiar with the translation from Latin?

Eruditio et Religio et Ludus canistri

Looks like it to me from a crude translation.

Oriole Way
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
As many other have mentioned, Barnes seems like one of the most ideal Duke kids since Shane Battier. I would be shocked if he doesn't commit in the end... Duke and Barnes are such a great match on so many levels.

darkblue2769
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Judging from everything I've seen/read about him, Barnes is a phenomenal player, student, and just person in general. Just the phenomenal player part makes me want to see him in a Duke uniform, but those other two push him above and beyond that. There has never been a recruit I've ever wanted to see in Duke blue as badly as I want to see Barnes. Not only that, but it seems like Duke would be a great fit, from the academics to the general way the program is run, and of course to the basketball court. Man, I hope he comes to Duke...

rotogod00
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
As many other have mentioned, Barnes seems like one of the most ideal Duke kids since Shane Battier. I would be shocked if he doesn't commit in the end... Duke and Barnes are such a great match on so many levels.

why? have we not said this about many a recruit over the past few years