PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

VaDukie
11-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I have faith that starting around noon tomorrow rumors/obsession over Barnes will go into another gear. I think 100 pages by 4 PM Friday is still very possible.

striker219
11-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I PLEDGE TO ONLY SPEAK POSITIVELY ABOUT THE COACHING STAFF, HARRISON BARNES, AND THE DIRECTION OF THE PROGRAM FOR THE NEXT 72 HOURS.

I'm in IF we can extend that number to 120 hours!

(positive thoughts through the weekend and all that)

striker219
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I have faith that starting around noon tomorrow rumors/obsession over Barnes will go into another gear. I think 100 pages by 4 PM Friday is still very possible.

Did your hear that mumblemumble bought a whole bunch of duke gear from a seller on ebay named hbarnes40? And that mumblemumblemumble sold a bunch of unc hats and tshirts to some guy named hbarnes40 on ebay? It's totally true, it was confirmed by mumblemumblemumble over on mumblemumblemumble.mumble so you know its for reals.

bigj4194
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
i'm in :)

TxBluedevil
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Did your hear that mumblemumble bought a whole bunch of duke gear from a seller on ebay named hbarnes40? And that mumblemumblemumble sold a bunch of unc hats and tshirts to some guy named hbarnes40 on ebay? It's totally true, it was confirmed by mumblemumblemumble over on mumblemumblemumble.mumble so you know its for reals.

Was that really a rumor lol.. Bc that is absolutely stupid, I have heard of crazy rumors.. But that is just stupid haha

VaDukie
11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm in. It'll all be over soon. :eek:

moonpie23
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
no dooood....it's totally true......i heard it too....over at that site where that guy talked about it on his pod-blog thing...

totally true....
:rolleyes:

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I really hope he comes to duke. Which should make us nothing but postive.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Was that really a rumor lol.. Bc that is absolutely stupid, I have heard of crazy rumors.. But that is just stupid haha

LOL it's not true.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I can't believe this is necessary, but I'm glad y'all are in. Me too.

striker219
11-11-2009, 11:41 PM

I actually did see this discussed on rivals. Like, in a serious manner. Yeah.

I weep for mankind.

(yeah, mankind, thats the ticket, it's not just me...)

RockyMtDevil
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Up 31 against UNCC and Roy seemed overly miffed during the entire second half...Maybe he knows something! :)))))

loran16
11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Sure! Being Destructively Negative at this point will get me banned again </awkward joke>

Okay, honestly though, YEAHHHHHHH DEVILS. We're gonna get Barnes and even if we don't we're going to rock the next two seasons!

Jarhead
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
It's my nature, so I'm in.

striker219
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Up 31 against UNCC and Roy seemed overly miffed during the entire second half...Maybe he knows something! :)))))

Yeah, he knows that this is the best his team is going to look all year!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh yea and HB is going to DUKE:)

meloveduke
11-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know if the announcement will be streamed online? I am hoping to see it, but I don't have cable.

brevity
11-12-2009, 01:52 AM
I can't believe this is necessary, but I'm glad y'all are in. Me too.

We can't all be paradigms of optimism.

This is a good idea, but even collectively it's a small voice against a much stronger tide. I almost want the mods to merge this into the recruiting thread if there's any chance it will cut down on this Friday's hyperbole, whether positive or negative.

Curious to know how many people will join DBR this weekend...

mgtr
11-12-2009, 04:21 AM
(Paraphrasing a young Ben Gates), "I so pledge."

Devilsfan
11-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Confusious say "He who comes to Duke destine for greatness in sports, business and life".

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-12-2009, 06:59 AM
I do. :)
Love, Ima

oldnavy
11-12-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm in! I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be negative against THE greatest basketball coach on earth and a truly wonderful MAN. Maybe it is the perspective I obtained from growing up as a Duke fan during the really bad times (early 70's - early mid 80's), but it is ALL GOOD NOW! GO DUKE!:)

oldnavy
11-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Like he wears a shirt with his team on it, but he has a bullet proof vest on and he just takes it off to show where he is going lol... I love it, as long as his shirt says Duke on it. haha
He might want to keep the vest on and announce the traditional way of donning a hat. Those KU, UNC, UCLA fans can be a little crazy when they get rejected!!

JasonEvans
11-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I am going to let this thread sit on its own for a couple more hours and then merge it into the Barnes thread, seeing as that is where it belongs.

I appreciate the efforts of the folks in this thread to remain positive and constructive. That is what we should always be doing around here but I know it could potentially be harder than usual if we get bad news Friday.

I also want to note that the mods have let some stuff go lately that we are not going to tolerate going forward. Needless posting is an infraction on DBR and the number of needless posts in the Barnes thread are legion.

--Jason "have your fun for 36 more hours... then the crackdown shall commence!" Evans

davekay1971
11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I am going to let this thread sit on its own for a couple more hours and then merge it into the Barnes thread, seeing as that is where it belongs.

I appreciate the efforts of the folks in this thread to remain positive and constructive. That is what we should always be doing around here but I know it could potentially be harder than usual if we get bad news Friday.

I also want to note that the mods have let some stuff go lately that we are not going to tolerate going forward. Needless posting is an infraction on DBR and the number of needless posts in the Barnes thread are legion.

--Jason "have your fun for 36 more hours... then the crackdown shall commence!" Evans

I join the pledge and include my statement of support and appreciation for the excellent basketball AND football coaching staffs and the incredible job they do!

Dave "If needless posting is an infraction, the "Longest Thread Ever" thread on the OTB is in deep doo-doo" Kay

phillyheel
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I still say he's going to Duke. There seems to be a lot more optimism with UNC fans not because of the crazy rumors but of the number of people citing their sources that it looks like Carolina. These sources might all originate with the same person and I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes himself isn't behind them. I don't think he's trying to be cruel to any fan base or joking around, but I believe he wants the announcement to be as much as a surprise as possible and with so many people thinking it is Duke he might have decided to obfuscate his decision by nonchalantly leading on one of his friends to the point his friend believes it's Carolina and shortly after that numerous people's sources are saying it's Carolina.

MChambers
11-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I still say he's going to Duke. There seems to be a lot more optimism with UNC fans not because of the crazy rumors but of the number of people citing their sources that it looks like Carolina. These sources might all originate with the same person and I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes himself isn't behind them. I don't think he's trying to be cruel to any fan base or joking around, but I believe he wants the announcement to be as much as a surprise as possible and with so many people thinking it is Duke he might have decided to obfuscate his decision by nonchalantly leading on one of his friends to the point his friend believes it's Carolina and shortly after that numerous people's sources are saying it's Carolina.

Why would you think that Barnes is trying to mislead folks? So far, he's conducted his recruitment with complete integrity. It's been the model of an ideal recruitment.

MChambers
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM

As others have said, I can't imagine that most of us need to be encouraged to remain positive. Duke is great, Coach K and Barnes seems like a great kid. If he decides to attend another school, so be it.

Jason, is any posting on DBR necessary? Aren't they all needless? Shouldn't we all be banned?;)

phillyheel
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Why would you think that Barnes is trying to mislead folks? So far, he's conducted his recruitment with complete integrity. It's been the model of an ideal recruitment.

I think he wants it to be a complete surprise when he announces.

What makes you say it's the model of an ideal recruitment?

BD80
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
... Needless posting is an infraction on DBR and the number of needless posts in the Barnes thread are legion.

LOL. BTT.

that was fun!

p.s. I pledge too

Hermy-own
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM
We haven't had a battle for the #1 recruit (especially against UNC) in a looooooong time. K and the staff invested a lot of time and energy in to this recruitment and it is obviously a pretty important one to a lot of people. Naturally, tensions are high and people are a little on edge.

We are all cautiously optimistic, but there is always the chance that Friday turns out to be a bit depressing for the staff and the fans. Frankly, I can see things turning ugly around here real fast if people don't have some perspective. For this reason, I propose a pledge, win or lose, to set the appropriate tone on the board:

I PLEDGE TO ONLY SPEAK POSITIVELY ABOUT THE COACHING STAFF, HARRISON BARNES, AND THE DIRECTION OF THE PROGRAM FOR THE NEXT 72 HOURS.

Who will join me?

I so pledge. Even if it is UNC, I shall hold my silence.

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Almost there guys...feeling actually more relieved that we are near Harrison's decision that what I thought I would be. You would think the anxiety would kick in...lol

All I know is that it's been a classic recruiting scenario. No matter how any fan base puts it, 5 fan bases will be disappointed, though a few, out of the UNC, ISU and KU collection, will be a bit more disappointed. Did I leave someone out???? No I didn't because Harrison will ultimately be a Dukie and our fan base will be at a fever pitch in anticipation of HB, KI and Seth coming on board next year. For the record, I do feel this season's team will be better than what most anticipate and will be a darkhouse FF contender.

Keep the glass half full guys. To paraphrase from the Field of Dreams...If we think it, he will come!!! I know, corny but you do what you have to do!!!

JasonEvans
11-12-2009, 08:46 AM
No I didn't because Harrison will ultimately be a Dukie and our fan base will be at a fever pitch in anticipation of HB, KI and Seth coming on board next year.

I know they committed early, but lets try not to forget about Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston, mmmmmkay?

I mean, RSCI has Hairston ranked ahead of Roscoe Smith, so it is not like these kids are not extremely well-regarded recruits. Heck, at someplace like NC State or Virginia or Clemson, the fans would be going gaga over getting kids like these.

--Jason "it is good to be the Duke ;) " Evans

WillJ
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to contribute to the 100 page goal. It's spongeworthy.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Count me in. Just think only ONE more day!!

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Will pledge as well. That will mean, if Barnes goes to UNC, I will not be on these boards for a week...

HCheek37
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
i think everyone needs to buy one of those necklaces that has an emergency button on it in case for some reason HB doesn't choose Duke.

With all the buildup, no matter the true effect Barnes will have, many people will be shocked and stunned if he doesn't put on a Duke blue hat in approx 30 hours 50 minutes (who's counting?)

Hopefully Duke Med doesn't get too many calls regarding people clutched over in their family room while watching ESPNU.

Will this be the highest ever rated ESPNU timeslot?

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I know they committed early, but lets try not to forget about Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston, mmmmmkay?

I mean, RSCI has Hairston ranked ahead of Roscoe Smith, so it is not like these kids are not extremely well-regarded recruits. Heck, at someplace like NC State or Virginia or Clemson, the fans would be going gaga over getting kids like these.

--Jason "it is good to be the Duke ;) " Evans

I respect and understand what you mean and I think both Josh and Tyler will be contributors to the cause but I think it's fair to say KI and Seth are the headliner's at the moment for those committed with HB hopefully to follow tomorrow. And if not, and Roscoe comes on board then KI and Seth are the headliner's in my opinion. Is that to say that Josh and Tyler won't be significant contributors? No it's not but lets not hide the fact of whom these boards have gone gaga over the past year. It's been KI and HB and for good reason!

As an aside, I know many try to politically correct and try to equate equal value to each recruit and I appreciate and respect that thought. However, it goes against much of what is said by many posters that you need "stud" players to go along with the "role" players to be successful. Every championship team has its stars and supporting cast. Just like in regular day work life and life in general for most of us, those roles are usually defined and lead to success and are similar in athlectics. Does it mean each's role is dimished? No it does not. I think in the end, Tyler and Josh wouldn't mind being to Harrison and Kyrie what Marty Clark and Brian Davis were to Laettner or Hill in 1992 or what Casey Sanders was to JWill or Shane in 2001 after they "defend the teams 2010 NC with another NC in 2011".

Again, think of the glass as half full everyone!!!

Kedsy
11-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I think in the end, Tyler and Josh wouldn't mind being to Harrison and Kyrie what Marty Clark and Brian Davis were to Laettner or Hill in 1992 or what Casey Sanders was to JWill or Shane in 2001 after they "defend the teams 2010 NC with another NC in 2011".

Again, think of the glass as half full everyone!!!

The thing is, Josh Hairston is the #27 recruit in the nation (according to RSCI). I liked Marty Clark (who didn't?) and Brian Davis, but I don't think either of them was that highly rated. Some people on this board are selling Hairston way short (and I think Thornton as well, although his rating isn't so high so I can understand that a little more).

jv001
11-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm in as well. I will be positive and offer support for Duke & Coach K. Even if he picks unc. Go Duke!

JasonEvans
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
As promised, The positivity thread has now been merged into the Barnes thread.

--Jason "inching the Barnes thread closer to 100 pages... though I would really rather we get there on semi-legit content rather than meaningless +1 kinda posts" Evans

airowe
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
The Scout staff actually has Hairston as the #1 PF in the class of 2010 coming to the ACC. I can see selling Thornton short because of Kyrie, but even he has effectively shut down Carolina's incoming PG Kendall Marshall in high school. This is the #5 recruiting class in the nation and I think the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Back on topic, here's a Harrison Barnes article from the Ames Tribune:

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/11/11/ames_tribune/sports/doc4afb9916924f3711290099.txt

bigj4194
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Here is an article from the local Ames, Iowa paper.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/11/12/ames_tribune/sports/doc4afb9916924f3711290099.txt

My favorite few lines:

But with nothing else to go on, Telep wrote the names of Barnes’ six remaining choices on a dry-erase board, then had 4-year-old son Michael point to one. Michael, who can’t read or write, pointed to Kansas.

“That’s about as scientifically accurate as we can be with this,” said Telep, who is convinced Barnes will keep his decision secret from even his future college coach until Friday.

One more day. tick tock

MChambers
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I think he wants it to be a complete surprise when he announces.

What makes you say it's the model of an ideal recruitment?

Barnes has been very careful and thoughtful about his recruitment. He's narrowed it down to six wonderful choices. He's taken his official visits and then written wonderful blog entries about the experience. He's had good, respectful things to say about each school. He hasn't played games or tipped his hand.

How could a high school senior do a better job of handling the recruiting process? (Battier's methodology was awfully impressive, too, I have to note.)

BTW, this is part of what makes me optimistic that he'll choose Duke. He's been so thoughtful and careful and Duke seems like such a good fit, albeit through my Duke blue lenses. I realize that he may choose another school, but if he does, I'll respect him for having gone about the process so thoughtfully and respectfully.

roywhite
11-12-2009, 10:12 AM
A safe prediction:
ESPNU will have high ratings in the Triangle tomorrow afternoon.

My prediction:
Harrison Barnes and Duke are a very good fit; he'll choose the Blue Devils.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
A safe prediction:
ESPNU will have high ratings in the Triangle tomorrow afternoon.

My prediction:
Harrison Barnes and Duke are a very good fit; he'll choose the Blue Devils.

Great predictions. I know your safe prediction will be right and I hope that your prediction will be right as well. GO DUKE!!!

uh_no
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Barnes has been very careful and thoughtful about his recruitment. He's narrowed it down to six wonderful choices. He's taken his official visits and then written wonderful blog entries about the experience. He's had good, respectful things to say about each school. He hasn't played games or tipped his hand.

Are you saying he's keeping his decision close to his vest?

-bdbd
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Add to HB's list of accomplishments his role of "curer of the economy."

The way I figure, with all of the Internet apparently diverted to following every last rumor and "signal" of his recruitment, we are losing TONS of productivity around here. (I know mine is diverted...) So by scheduling his announcement relatively early like this, HB is clearly doing his part to help us out of recession. I expect to see a spike in GNP production starting next week....

What a great, thoughtful kid!

-BDBD ;) :D

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Ok, a lil back to the future moment here but remember when the recruiting sagas of Monroe and Boyton had many saying Duke was the choice as we neared their decision day (I want to put PP in this too but I've read different opinions so I will leave him out of this unless other know better as far a which lean he was supposedly)? Here we have in my opinion, the reverse. Though HB had been perceived to be a Duke lean up through the end of summer (pre UNC alumni game), the thoughts now are that UNC or ISU seem to be the lean (post UNC alumni game and hometown sentiment now coming full throttle). Not saying there aren't any "I think HB is going to Duke" predictions but the last few days it just seems more articles, blogs, tweets or the like are being UNC and ISU slanted that that of Duke for above reasons noted. That said, I kind of like the feel of Duke falling in line with the pack taking the pressure off. And like with the tourney or the NFL or such, when the prognasticators or so called experts say go this way, hell, I will run the other way, which in this case is far from ISU and UNC and all the way to Durham from my location in NY to root for HB in Blue Devil Blue...LOLLLL GOOO DUKEEE!!!

MChambers
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Are you saying he's keeping his decision close to his vest?

Does he have a vest? Maybe in Iowa he has a down vest.

CameronBlue
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
My prediction is that I'll be in the bathroom about 4:30 tomorrow afternoon. My sphincter always tightens up the last 24 hours of these things. Shouldn't had those chili peppers on my cornflakes this morning.

Okay, something less puerile. Regardless of his choice I've enjoyed seeing a very composed young man deal with the weight of a life-changing decision. He hasn't pandered to the media or blogosphere, he hasn't assembled a posse of hangers-on or conducted himself with a sense of entitlement. Maybe he understands that there are bigger issues in the world with which many people are struggling. It's what we all strive for, right? Grace under pressure? There are similarities among the stressful moments that life throws at us which tests our composure whether it's dealing with the budding idolatry of a basketball fanbase or something more intimate within one's family. You live life in real-time and figure it out on the fly or you let the inertia of the moment rob you of your chance to control your destiny. Barnes is getting it right the first time and it's impressive.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Does he have a vest? Maybe in Iowa he has a down vest.

If he does, I hope its DUKE BLUE. :)

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
My prediction is that I'll be in the bathroom about 4:30 tomorrow afternoon. My sphincter always tightens up the last 24 hours of these things. Shouldn't had those chili peppers on my cornflakes this morning.

Gotta love it and the use of "sphincter". Who would have thought it...LOL

Indoor66
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much information. :(

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Gotta love it and the use of "sphincter". Who would have thought it...LOL

Yeah the whole "sphincter" thing was awesome. It actually made me laugh out loud at work and then I had to explain why to my coworkers. :D

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah the whole "sphincter" thing was awesome. It actually made me laugh out loud at work and then I had to explain why to my coworkers. :D

Holes and "sphincter", think of all the endless possibilities for us posters for our rivals 8 miles down the road. On that note, I will let this chance pass by in favor of being the better man...hahahaahha

BlueDevilCorvette!
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Harrison Barnes will come to Duke. I'm not worried either way. However, I keep repeating St. Mark 11:22 (Have faith in God) to myself and hoping that tomorrow is a day for all Duke fans to rejoice...and oh what a day it will be to hear Harrison say the words, "I will be attending Duke University".

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
but since ISU is heavily in the mix and been gaining momentum according to some, when was the last time a major recruit eschewed the allure of big time national powers, stayed home at a hometown school (private or state school), turned out to be a success and went onto the NBA? Please keep in mind I'm not talking about a kid turning down a Duke, UNC, UCLA or UK type to stay home and go to Texas or Florida. I'm talking about a kid staying home at the average Division 1 school who isn't in the national picture on a regular basis.

The reason I ask is this. If ultimately HB's goal is to make the league and be a success there, will ISU provide such the opportunity as the other schools on his list? Aside from a Fizer or Hoilberg, I don't know many kids who they have produced in the past and Brackins seem to be the current guy that may. For the average college basketball fan it may seem like a nice story for him to go to ISU but is it really "nice" for Harrison in the end? Just sayin!!!

DukieBoy
11-12-2009, 01:15 PM
but since ISU is heavily in the mix and been gaining momentum according to some, when was the last time a major recruit eschewed the allure of big time national powers, stayed home at a hometown school (private or state school), turned out to be a success and went onto the NBA? Please keep in mind I'm not talking about a kid turning down a Duke, UNC, UCLA or UK type to stay home and go to Texas or Florida. I'm talking about a kid staying home at the average Division 1 school who isn't in the national picture on a regular basis.

The reason I ask is this. If ultimately HB's goal is to make the league and be a success there, will ISU provide such the opportunity as the other schools on his list? Aside from a Fizer or Hoilberg, I don't know many kids who they have produced in the past and Brackins seem to be the current guy that may. For the average college basketball fan it may seem like a nice story for him to go to ISU but is it really "nice" for Harrison in the end? Just sayin!!!

The one that immediately popped into my head was Marcus Camby. He grew up in Connecticut but went to Massachusetts. Not necessarily hometown, but really close and it wasn't a national powerhouse by any means. I'm sure there's been more recent though

El_Diablo
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
The one that immediately popped into my head was Marcus Camby. He grew up in Connecticut but went to Massachusetts. Not necessarily hometown, but really close and it wasn't a national powerhouse by any means. I'm sure there's been more recent though

Camby was taking $$$...so he chose UMass because he knew Coach Calipari wouldn't care. :D

P.S. Happy Barnesday Eve DBR!!!

roywhite
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Adonal Foyle back in the mid-90's declaring for Colgate over Duke and some other major hoop powers is probably the best example.

There's a reasonable discussion about whether that helped his basketball development, but he still managed to have a 10-year NBA career.

Iowa State is certainly more of a hoops power than Colgate. Would be a surprise to me if HB chose to go from the Ames High Little Cyclones to the ISU Cyclones.

whereinthehellami
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
This sure is a big one for Duke and the rest of the schools involved. I think its between Duke and UNC. I can see the rationale for both schools, though I think Duke provides more opportunity for him on a personal level. The vibe seems to swing back and forth on which school he is going to choose on a minute by minute basis. I just don't see him going with Duke but i think that is because it would fit too well and my glass is typically half empty.

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
This sure is a big one for Duke and the rest of the schools involved. I think its between Duke and UNC. I can see the rationale for both schools, though I think Duke provides more opportunity for him on a personal level. The vibe seems to swing back and forth on which school he is going to choose on a minute by minute basis. I just don't see him going with Duke but i think that is because it would fit too well and my glass is typically half empty.

Half full dammit....get with the program...LOLLL

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Half full dammit....get with the program...LOLLL

Yeah and if he comes to Duke our glass will be completey FULL!! :D

phillyheel
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

I personally don't think there is a model way of handling a recruitment. Obviously some guidelines to follow, but whether you do it like Barnes or like Irving as long as you end up at the school you really want to attend then it's all cool. Barnes method probably fits his personality and might be the best for him, but it might not be the best way for another recruit - that recruit might over analyze and end up making a business decision as opposed to following his heart and ultimately end up unhappy.

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah and if he comes to Duke our glass will be completey FULL!! :D

Wasn't there a study saying we only use 10% of our brain power? Well let's put to use some of the other 90% to get HB to Duke.

Man, am I pathetic today and we have a whole other day to go. Thank god work has slowed down a bit

UrinalCake
11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay, so tomorrow afternoon I'll be at work. Anyone have a recommendation on the easiest, fastest way to get the news? Will ESPNU have an online stream? Is there a radio broadcast? A twitter account from one of the players that I could monitor? I'd like to be checking DBR but I expect the server will be hit pretty hard, as it was with KI's announcement. So ideally I need a.) an online stream, b.) a radio stream, or c.) a web page that I can refresh every five seconds.

airowe
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Adonal Foyle back in the mid-90's declaring for Colgate over Duke and some other major hoop powers is probably the best example.

There's a reasonable discussion about whether that helped his basketball development, but he still managed to have a 10-year NBA career.

Iowa State is certainly more of a hoops power than Colgate. Would be a surprise to me if HB chose to go from the Ames High Little Cyclones to the ISU Cyclones.

Foyle was complicated by his guardians though. They both essentially guided his choice to Colgate after they adopted him from Africa.

Barnes has one legal guardian, his Mom. While she does work at Iowa State, she certainly doesn't seem to me to be guiding his recruitment in any way shape or form...

airowe
11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Okay, so tomorrow afternoon I'll be at work. Anyone have a recommendation on the easiest, fastest way to get the news? Will ESPNU have an online stream? Is there a radio broadcast? A twitter account from one of the players that I could monitor? I'd like to be checking DBR but I expect the server will be hit pretty hard, as it was with KI's announcement. So ideally I need a.) an online stream, b.) a radio stream, or c.) a web page that I can refresh every five seconds.

This is all you need: http://twitter.com/EvanDanielscout

bigj4194
11-12-2009, 02:08 PM

i'd check justin.tv i was at work during KI's commitment, and found a stream on justin.tv of ESPNU. I would bet there would be one there tomorrow too. If I find one I will let you know and post it here

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to leave work early so that I can be home for the announcement.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Wasn't there a study saying we only use 10% of our brain power? Well let's put to use some of the other 90% to get HB to Duke.

Man, am I pathetic today and we have a whole other day to go. Thank god work has slowed down a bit

I know exactly what you mean. I have a feeling that tomorrow I will be on DBR all day and will not get anything done at work.

oldnavy
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Foyle was complicated by his guardians though. They both essentially guided his choice to Colgate after they adopted him from Africa.

Barnes has one legal guardian, his Mom. While she does work at Iowa State, she certainly doesn't seem to me to be guiding his recruitment in any way shape or form...

Seems like Foyle's adoptive parent's were professors at Colgate were they not?:confused:

Newton_14
11-12-2009, 02:35 PM

I was in the same situation the day Irving announced. So I called my son about 10 minutes before the show. I had him put the tv on ESPNU and turn the volume up, and put the phone on speaker and lay it beside the TV.

I heard Kyrie very clearly when he said "Duke" and let out a yell I then had to explain to my coworkers!

Kinda old school technology wise, but hey, it worked just fine!!

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I was in the same situation the day Irving announced. So I called my son about 10 minutes before the show. I had him put the tv on ESPNU and turn the volume up, and put the phone on speaker and lay it beside the TV.

I heard Kyrie very clearly when he said "Duke" and let out a yell I then had to explain to my coworkers!

Kinda old school technology wise, but hey, it worked just fine!!

WOW Boozer what a great idea. I just may have to try this tomorrow afternoon. I never would have thought of something so simple.

SeattleIrish
11-12-2009, 02:40 PM

The 10% brain use is a myth, although a widely believed one. We use all of our brain, we just don't use all of it at one time.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

s.i.

p.s. - Really hoping we get HB, but he's a good enough kid that I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes.

zdd
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Kris Humprhies ended up going to Minnesota after committing to Duke.

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Kris Humprhies ended up going to Minnesota after committing to Duke.

I was thinking that but that was by default. I he had gone the Minnesota route in the first place then maybe. Do you recall how high a recruit he was? I know he was top 25 but I'm not sure if he broke the top 10.

I was looking at the 2010 commits and Perry Jones comes to mind in his committment to Baylor but I'm not sure of whom recruited him. Then again, I believe he committed pretty early so the momentum of a national recruitment never really had the chance to pick up if say UK, UCLA or KU were involved as I don't think Duke or UNC had interest.

Newton_14
11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Ran across this article from the site that worked with HB on his OV Diary. I thought we could use a glass half full opinion from an outsider, especially with us just learning about Mason's injury..

Very short read but positive and comes from a guy who talks to HB weekly..

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/11/top-five-unsigned-seniors/#more-1820

Get Well Mason!
Come To Duke Harrison!

Mal
11-12-2009, 03:31 PM

I guess it depends on how you define "major recruit" but if you stretch it beyond just a top 2 or 3 guy who could write his ticket to any school, this happens all the time (well beyond the Camby and Foyle examples others noted), and the upper Midwest has some recent history with it, too. Just to the North of ISU, the similarly-situated program at Minnesota got a couple of in-state big namers to stay in the late '90's-early '00's, each of whom could have gone to more marquee programs. Most notable for Duke fans, of course, was Kris Humphries, although that one's obviously complicated since he had committed to us before reconsidering. He got his NBA platform and toleration of ballhogging with the Gophers, leading the Big Ten in points and rebounds as a freshman (first ever, IIRC), and got himself drafted after one year, which would not have happened at Duke or any other program where he wasn't allowed to shoot 22 times a night. Prior to him was Rick Rickert, another highly ranked prospect who could have played at plenty of bigger names (almost went to AZ) but stayed home as well. His decision appeared at first to be driven more by a combo of (a) he was from Duluth, so coming 3 hours to the Twin Cities was enough culture shock for him already, and (b) the allure of being "the Savior" of a program in need of one after the Clem Haskins flameout. In the end, though, it may also have been based on the platform and NBA audition factor, since he ill-advisedly left after his sophomore year, only to find himself in need of a homestate bailout, with Kevin McHale (similarly gangly, 6' 10" guy from Northern Minne) taking him with the last pick in the draft.

On an unrelated note, it's somewhat interesting that the predecessor to those guys at the U, Joel Przybilla, has been by far the most successful as a pro, with a decade long NBA career (obviously not a star, but still), and produced more of a legacy in college. He was also a Minnesota product, without quite the pedigree coming out of high school, who chose the Gophers more out of necessity. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere for those of us obsessing about Barnes, etc.

Oh, Cole Aldrich, why couldn't you have followed their illustrious example? ;)

I see someone beat me to it on Humphries. I'll note that, had he (and his dad) thought about what he (they) wanted out of his (their) college basketball experience before starting the process, he would, in fact, probably have ended up at Minnesota in the first place, without all the committing and decommitting and the like. It was the perfect place for him to showcase his talents for a short time as an NBA springboard for the impatient.

G man
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Ran across this article from the site that worked with HB on his OV Diary. I thought we could use a glass half full opinion from an outsider, especially with us just learning about Mason's injury..

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/11/top-five-unsigned-seniors/#more-1820

Get Well Mason!
Come To Duke Harrison!

I needed this! I was getting a little bummed out

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "major recruit" but if you stretch it beyond just a top 2 or 3 guy who could write his ticket to any school, this happens all the time (well beyond the Camby and Foyle examples others noted), and the upper Midwest has some recent history with it, too. Just to the North of ISU, the similarly-situated program at Minnesota got a couple of in-state big namers to stay in the late '90's-early '00's, each of whom could have gone to more marquee programs. Most notable for Duke fans, of course, was Kris Humphries, although that one's obviously complicated since he had committed to us before reconsidering. He got his NBA platform and toleration of ballhogging with the Gophers, leading the Big Ten in points and rebounds as a freshman (first ever, IIRC), and got himself drafted after one year, which would not have happened at Duke or any other program where he wasn't allowed to shoot 22 times a night. Prior to him was Rick Rickert, another highly ranked prospect who could have played at plenty of bigger names (almost went to AZ) but stayed home as well. His decision appeared at first to be driven more by a combo of (a) he was from Duluth, so coming 3 hours to the Twin Cities was enough culture shock for him already, and (b) the allure of being "the Savior" of a program in need of one after the Clem Haskins flameout. In the end, though, it may also have been based on the platform and NBA audition factor, since he ill-advisedly left after his sophomore year, only to find himself in need of a homestate bailout, with Kevin McHale (similarly gangly, 6' 10" guy from Northern Minne) taking him with the last pick in the draft.

On an unrelated note, it's somewhat interesting that the predecessor to those guys at the U, Joel Przybilla, has been by far the most successful as a pro, with a decade long NBA career (obviously not a star, but still), and produced more of a legacy in college. He was also a Minnesota product, without quite the pedigree coming out of high school, who chose the Gophers more out of necessity. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere for those of us obsessing about Barnes, etc.

Oh, Cole Aldrich, why couldn't you have followed their illustrious example? ;)

I see someone beat me to it on Humphries. I'll note that, had he (and his dad) thought about what he (they) wanted out of his (their) college basketball experience before starting the process, he would, in fact, probably have ended up at Minnesota in the first place, without all the committing and decommitting and the like. It was the perfect place for him to showcase his talents for a short time as an NBA springboard for the impatient.

Thanks for the info. I do remember Rickert as being that type. It seems the cases noted were for top 25 recruits. In Harrison's case, being a top 3 recruit makes it that much more interesting and intriguing. Based on some the limited history of top recruits going to be the man and the home state school, it would appear to me the "smart" money would be either Duke or UNC. Of course I'm a bit biased and sticking with my glass half full theme today, say Duke will be the answer!!!:D

crimsonandblue
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I do remember Rickert as being that type. It seems the cases noted were for top 25 recruits. In Harrison's case, being a top 3 recruit makes it that much more interesting and intriguing. Based on some the limited history of top recruits going to be the man and the home state school, it would appear to me the "smart" money would be either Duke or UNC. Of course I'm a bit biased and sticking with my glass half full theme today, say Duke will be the answer!!!:D

Well, he's not made the NBA yet, but there's Favors sticking in Atlanta and Abdul Gaddy choosing UW just in the last year. It's also usually tough to get kids out of the SEC region (Kansas couldn't get Osby) and states like Minnesota (Pryzbilla, Humphries), Wisconsin (Brian Butch) and Michigan (Michigan State nearly counts as elite though...). Seems like extreme regions stick together a bit better.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Well here we are. Only 24 hours left before the BIG news. God I hope he says DUKE!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Get Well Mason!
Come To Duke Harrison!

This is great news. Really excited.:)

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Wrapping up my day at work and ready to go home and have dinner with my girls (my wife and lil girl Camryn...yes there was a lil Duke influence there even though I have never stepped foot on the campus or in CIS...it's in my bucket list to do). Most importantly, I will get a few hours to play with Cam, all 17th months of her, chase her around while she is touching everything she is not suppose to be touching, have her babbling to me as though I understand what she is saying and just have her sit with me while we play, read and watch TV, while throwing some Duke cheers in for good luck. I will be back checking the board after she goes to bed, maybe post a few messages and look forward to tomorrow. But one thing I will know is this in the end, if tomorrow is good, maybe even bad, that no matter what Camryn will be there waiting to say "Hi Daddy" in her own lil way.

Peace out fellas and think glass half full!!!!:)

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Wrapping up my day at work and ready to go home and have dinner with my girls (my wife and lil girl Camryn...yes there was a lil Duke influence there even though I have never stepped foot on the campus or in CIS...it's in my bucket list to do). Most importantly, I will get a few hours to play with Cam, all 17th months of her, chase her around while she is touching everything she is not suppose to be touching, have her babbling to me as though I understand what she is saying and just have her sit with me while we play, read and watch TV, while throwing some Duke cheers in for good luck. I will be back checking the board after she goes to bed, maybe post a few messages and look forward to tomorrow. But one thing I will know is this in the end, if tomorrow is good, maybe even bad, that no matter what Camryn will be there waiting to say "Hi Daddy" in her own lil way.

Peace out fellas and think glass half full!!!!:)

You know sometimes we do get wrapped up in things that aren't as "important". Thanks for reminding us and yes think glass half full! :)

CEF1959
11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
+1. Good post NYD.

airowe
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree, good post NYD. There are many more important things in life than the whims of a 17 year old.

That being said, those of you interested in streaming the presser tomorrow (:)) will be interested in this:

Link (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091112/SPORTS0811/91112018/ESPN-s-Vitale-Bilas-gush-over-Ames-recruit-Harrison-Barnes)

ESPNU will televise his signing live and it will stream live on DesMoinesRegister.com.

RoyalBlue08
11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
In what has to go in the "never saw this coming" catergory, I just bookmarked desmoinesregister.com. LOL

SushiChef
11-12-2009, 06:53 PM
http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2009-11-12/barns_unlikely_to_pick_ku

bigj4194
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I agree, good post NYD. There are many more important things in life than the whims of a 17 year old.

That being said, those of you interested in streaming the presser tomorrow (:)) will be interested in this:

Link (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091112/SPORTS0811/91112018/ESPN-s-Vitale-Bilas-gush-over-Ames-recruit-Harrison-Barnes)

i love you right now.

Huh?
11-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Bill Self has been waiting for good news since this summer, but no dice.

arnie
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
The CJ Leslie comment bothers me more than other "guesses". If the Heels have dropped their interest in Leslie - Roy must feel strongly about his chances landing HB.

MChambers
11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
The CJ Leslie comment bothers me more than other "guesses". If the Heels have dropped their interest in Leslie - Roy must feel strongly about his chances landing HB.

Maybe Roy isn't recruiting him for reasons that have nothing to do with Barnes, such as UNC's limited scholarships and the lack of a real need for another wing. Also, don't you think Leslie has some issues?

dahainz
11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Is your worry about CJ Leslie comments/rumors lessened by this recent posting on Kyrie Irving's Facebook page:

"Kyrie Irving St Patricks highschool party tmrw...730 to 1130 let's get hype lol and make sure you watch my bro Harrison barnes commit tmrw it's shuld be a dandy"

This looks pretty damn promising folks...

arnie
11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I like being pessimistic - that way if it works out, I'm much happier. Nevertheless, the boys on 620 this morning thought our chances at HB were minimal.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Is your worry about CJ Leslie comments/rumors lessened by this recent posting on Kyrie Irving's Facebook page:

"Kyrie Irving St Patricks highschool party tmrw...730 to 1130 let's get hype lol and make sure you watch my bro Harrison barnes commit tmrw it's shuld be a dandy"

This looks pretty damn promising folks...

This does seem promising but i highly doubt kyrie knows where HB is going. Maybe he has a vibe so that's good.

Greg_Newton
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I like being pessimistic - that way if it works out, I'm much happier. Nevertheless, the boys on 620 this morning thought our chances at HB were minimal.

Anyone that thinks our chances are minimal is an idiot. We may end up not getting Barnes, but A) no one has a clue right now and B) all circumstantial evidence indicates we have as good or better a chance as anyone.

Less than 20 hours, hang in there!:)

G man
11-12-2009, 08:54 PM

http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2009-11-12/barnes_unlikely_to_pick_ku

VaDukie
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I think it's pretty much between us and the guys down the road...

JaMarcus Russell
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the article. This is one of the first bits of actual information that has leaked out so far.

Bluedevil114
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
This does seem promising but i highly doubt kyrie knows where HB is going. Maybe he has a vibe so that's good.

I disagree. If any recruit in the country would know where Harrison Barnes will commit it would be Kyrie Irving. They speak everyday accoring to Kyrie and they consider each other as Brothers. I like this post. This will make me sleep a lot better.

GO DUKE!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I disagree. If any recruit in the country would know where Harrison Barnes will commit it would be Kyrie Irving. They speak everyday accoring to Kyrie and they consider each other as Brothers. I like this post. This will make me sleep a lot better.

GO DUKE!!

If there were another player to know where he was going i would also say it would be Kyrie, but i don't think he knows. He just can speculate and form his own opinion.

dahainz
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM

You "highly doubt" based on what?

If a best friend of yours was going to make a huge life decision tomorrow which involved doing something with you or not doing something with you (be it team mate, fellow employee, lifestyle decision or whatever), do you think that person might tell you the night before?

Devil's Advocate
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM

That wasn't the way I understood it - if you're talking about Adam Gold and Joe Ovius (sp?). It was my impression that they were saying that Duke NEEDED a Barnes commitment, and UNC would really like one. They went on to say that if UNC gets Barnes, it will solidify Ol' Roy ("Aw shucks") as the superior recruiter (which is a different issue, and worth a discussion). In any event, it won't matter because Barnes is going to Duke (IMHO), and this will remind everyone how strong the Duke program is. It's easy to forget what a powerhouse Duke has been in recruiting when 9 out of 10 people in the area are supporters of the wrong shade of blue. Shame. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM

If a best friend of yours was going to make a huge life decision tomorrow which involved doing something with you or not doing something with you (be it team mate, fellow employee, lifestyle decision or whatever), do you think that person might tell you the night before?

KEYWORD I, No inside information to go with this, just what i think. My opinion maybe wrong maybe right. I just don't think Kyrie knows for sure where HB is going, because if he did others would know. Kyrie may be his "BF" but i'm sure he has "BF" in Ames and others he would have told but this hasn't gotten out yet.

Ohiobobcat204
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Not a chance i get to sleep tonight!!!

sagegrouse
11-12-2009, 09:48 PM

IMHO (with Sage Grouse the 'H' is usually silent), Barnes is keeping his own counsel. Otherwise, it is sure to leak. There are apparently no leaks at all. We will all find out tomorrow.

The only question in my mind is whether he tells the coach or coaches ahead of time. If he does, it will be around the 'Net at the speed of light (which is approximately the speed at which things move, anyway).

sagegrouse
'... if one of them is dead. - B. Franklin'

91devil
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Given how well (read: mature) he has acted during the entire recruiting process, I suspect Harrison will make the effort to call each of the six coaches before the presser to let them know his decision.

That's the appropriate thing to do. I can't see him announcing like Derrick Favors did last year (when Coach Hewitt didn't have idea until the announcement).

NYDukie
11-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Not a chance i get to sleep tonight!!!

Ahhh gonna sleep like baby myself since my lil girl Camryn just ran me into the ground.

Don't sweat it so much. Just like many of you, I'm a bit anxious, nervous to see how this all ends because I'm a die hard Duke fan. It's been one hell of a ride and we are coming down the home stretch! But lose sleep? No way!!! I'll be asleep within a minute of my head hitting the pillow...LOL

Remember now, everyone say it with me....Glass half full...Harrison to Duke:)

VaDukie
11-12-2009, 09:57 PM
IMHO (with Sage Grouse the 'H' is usually silent), Barnes is keeping his own counsel. Otherwise, it is sure to leak. There are apparently no leaks at all. We will all find out tomorrow.

The only question in my mind is whether he tells the coach or coaches ahead of time. If he does, it will be around the 'Net at the speed of light (which is approximately the speed at which things move, anyway).

sagegrouse
'... if one of them is dead. - B. Franklin'

Won't he have to tell the coach of the lucky program since he's signing his letter of intent tomorrow? Is HB so devious to request letters from all 6 schools to keep the suspense?

HCheek37
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
3 questions

This is the biggest Duke / UNC recruiting battle since....?

If the NCAA didn't have the 1 year rule, would HB be in the top 5 in the NBA draft ? Would he have some of the lebron-type hype?

Does anyone think there are posters on this board who know already and are sworn to not say anything?

Bob Green
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Won't he have to tell the coach of the lucky program since he's signing his letter of intent tomorrow? Is HB so devious to request letters from all 6 schools to keep the suspense?

There isn't much certainty about any of tomorrow's happenings, but I am quite certain Harrison Barnes already has a Letter of Intent from all six schools available to be signed.

FireOgilvie
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
If the NCAA didn't have the 1 year rule, would HB be in the top 5 in the NBA draft ? Would he have some of the lebron-type hype?

Top 5, yes. Lebron hype? Not even close.

Newton_14
11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
3 questions

Does anyone think there are posters on this board who know already and are sworn to not say anything?

Answers:

1. Shavlik Randolph. (How his career turned out is irrelevant to the recruiting battle.)

2. Conditional Yes. (I don't think HB is the type of kid who would have jumped right out of High School. Had he done so though, I do believe he would have gone top 5.)

3. A resounding NO. (I do not believe there is a message board member on the planet who knows for sure which school he names tomorrow. I do however disagree with a couple others in that I do believe Kyrie Irving knows by now.)

sagegrouse
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM

I imagine the LOI will wait. -- sagegrouse

BD80
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Before anyone posts another comment that is in any way negative or pessimistic, ...

PLEASE

1) read Harrison's diary pages on his trip to Duke and any of the other schools you are concerned about. He speaks of Duke as his team already.

2) consider how many trips he made to Duke at his own cost. Including a trip to surprise Coach K for his birthday.

3) consider the position available for him at Duke, literally and figuratively,

4) remember the confidence exuded by the staff after the OV here

5) consider how many in the business of following recruiting have said that "Harrison is a Duke kind of young man"

6) remember we have the best coach in the world ...

I could go on and on.

There really should be no negativity, just prepare for celebration!

WiJoe
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Before anyone posts another comment that is in any way negative or pessimistic, ...

PLEASE

1) read Harrison's diary pages on his trip to Duke and any of the other schools you are concerned about. He speaks of Duke as his team already.

2) consider how many trips he made to Duke at his own cost. Including a trip to surprise Coach K for his birthday.

5) consider how many in the business of following recruiting have said that "Harrison is a Duke kind of young man"

I could go on and on.

What's your point?

It all makes sense. Hope it still makes sense when he announces.

moonpie23
11-12-2009, 10:46 PM

PLEASE

I could go on and on.

this is the post that i'm gonna just stop with tonight.......

superdave
11-12-2009, 11:13 PM
this is the post that i'm gonna just stop with tonight.......

Also consider that a lot of the old guard DBR posters are scarcely involved in this thread. That says "quiet confidence" to me.

mph
11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Also consider that a lot of the old guard DBR posters are scarcely involved in this thread. That says "quiet confidence" to me.

To me it says they've learned not to speculate in recruiting threads.:)

cato
11-12-2009, 11:53 PM

Well, a lot of old guard DBR posters are scarcely involved on the boards these days, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from that.

Tucknut
11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I'll sleep better tonight than I did before JWall's announcement. We all wanted him to come to Duke but somehow, I never really felt confident about him.

This time is different. The confidence comes primarily from Kyrie - his relationship with Harrison and now, his facebook comments. I may be wrong but it sounds like the party is to celebrate becoming teammates. :cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Cato and Supadave almost posted the exact same thing.

uh_no
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM

PLEASE

I could go on and on.

He's keeping his decision real close to his vest....moreso than kyrie did anyway

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Really?

close to the vest is getting really old on here.

HB is keeping his decision privite IMO.

Greg_Newton
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Cato and Supadave almost posted the exact same thing.

No, see... they, ahh, what he was... they... ehh, never mind...

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Well, if that's what they think, there's probably no point in tuning in to Harrison's announcement then, is there? Why do you think the boys on 620 have better information than anybody else in the world?

No offense to Kyrie, but if I wanted my decision to remain a secret and the best friend in your hypothetical liked posting hints on his twitter and facebook pages, I either wouldn't tell him or I'd swear him to secrecy. Probably to make sure it stayed secret I wouldn't tell him, or anybody else.

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 12:25 AM
3 questions

1) Maybe Shavlik, or maybe Brandon Wright.
2) Possibly -- certainly top 10 -- but I don't think he'd try to go pro straight out of high school; it doesn't seem like his m.o.
3) No.

BlueintheFace
Well, a lot of old guard DBR posters are scarcely involved on the boards these days, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from that.

Actually, I believe that most of the DBR "old guard" do not concern themselves very much with recruiting and prefer to focus on the players we have on the roster now.

I wouldn't read anything in to it either way.

uh_no
Really?

close to the vest is getting really old on here.

HB is keeping his decision privite IMO.

it was sort of a joke because yesterday (about 10 pages ago) i was joking about how overused the phrase was on this thread...hence the signature

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-13-2009, 12:29 AM
it was sort of a joke because yesterday (about 10 pages ago) i was joking about how overused the phrase was on this thread...hence the signature

well sorry to come at you then, but that phrase has been overused and it's really annoying now.

-bdbd
11-13-2009, 12:45 AM
3 questions

'was thinking back to other head-to-head Duke & UNC-ch recruiting battles to compare this to and am thinking it is way up there, though that may at least partly be due to the rise of the internet and the subsequent big following of recruiting. (I remember writing to some prominent recruiting/Sports writers back 20 years ago asking for some updates and actually getting responses from most of them -- as there really was very little really current literature constantly coming out with updates like today...)

This battle to me matches up well with (going backwards in time) Wright, Battier, Hill, Laettner and Ferry. Sidebar: the reason I really remeber UNC recruiting the last two - Laettner and Ferry - was a famous (and very classless) remark from Dean Smith a few years later comparing the SAT scores of two of his players to the combined total of those two (which he knew b/c he'd recruited them too). There have been more where we both recruited the same players, but very rarely has it been for the #1 overall player, and come down to these two programs as the perceived top two finalists. This will be one that'll be remembered for a long time, especially if HB has as much impact in college as a lot of "experts" seem to expect. Hmmmmm.

-BDBD :rolleyes:
"15 hours to go..."

P.S. I really don't think anyone knows, other than HB and his mom.

speedevil2001
11-13-2009, 02:20 AM
what time is it going to be on the west coast?

Edouble
11-13-2009, 03:12 AM
This battle to me matches up well with (going backwards in time) Wright, Battier, Hill, Laettner and Ferry.

I still think Shav's recruitment was bigger than most of those.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2009, 03:21 AM
what time is it going to be on the west coast?
I believe that would be 1 p.m. PST, 4 p.m. EST.

TxBluedevil
11-13-2009, 03:44 AM
But I just read that Bill Self had this to say about National Signing Day during the HB announcement:

"If I felt like we were getting good news, Id watch it."

Self can't actually comment about HB and use his name bc of some sort of violation but there was a link but due to excess amounts of users on it the link crashed. You can type it in the google and search for the most recent results and it will still pull up a link but its no good. But so officially or atleast "officially from Self" KU is out.

Heres the KU board I saw it on.
http://messageboard.theshiver.com/showthread.php?p=39041#post39041

SeattleIrish
11-13-2009, 06:05 AM
The IC board puts him at Duke. Doesn't mean a whole lot, but is certainly a swing from 10 days ago, when many/most were having him dressed in the yuckier shade of blue.

s.i.

UrinalCake
11-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Heres the KU board I saw it on.

Jeez, for fans of the nearly-unanimous #1 team in the nation, they sure are a depressing bunch

Jackson
11-13-2009, 06:52 AM
It would be much easier if I lived on the west coast, so I would only have to wait until 1 to find out.

RainingThrees
11-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Alright, time to purge this from my mind until 4 if that is even possible.

oldnavy
11-13-2009, 07:38 AM
It would be much easier if I lived on the west coast, so I would only have to wait until 1 to find out.

:rolleyes: Hmmmm.... my brother lives in CA, I think I will get him to call me when HB annouces so I want have to wait as long!

Hey, just take a three hour nap today at lunch and it will feel like you didn't have to wait!

It is all good folks, with HB or not, life is good and Duke Basketball is Great! Enjoy your day!!:)

moonpie23
11-13-2009, 07:52 AM
i see the glass half full........

Bluedevil114
11-13-2009, 07:58 AM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/86021

Here is a guess from Seth Davis and it is only a guess.

JasonEvans
11-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I am fairly sure I qualify as a member of the "DBR old guard" so I feel qualified to let you all know that NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING!

The IC folks who are convinced it will be Duke, the pundits who say it is down to Duke and UNC, I suspect even Kyrie Irving has no idea what HB is going to decide.

The only thing I even remotely trust as a piece of real evidence in all this was the comment from Bill Self. I read that as a good indication that he thinks HB is not coming to Kansas.

Of course, he could be wrong too.

We'll know at 4:10pm ET (1:10pm PT, 6:10am in Tokyo)

--Jason "DBR servers got real slow yesterday afternoon-- I predict more slowness today" Evans

JasonEvans
11-13-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/86021

Here is a guess from Seth Davis and it is only a guess.

Great article from Seth that sums things up nicely.

I think Duke fans forget that while we have Kyrie, UNC has Kendall Marshall. I like that Seth correctly states (IMO) that neither of those relationships will really matter in the end.

UCLA's confidence is interesting. At least they think it is down to them and us rather than them and UNC ;)

--Jason "8 hours, 4 minutes to go" Evans

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 08:23 AM

I think Duke fans forget that while we have Kyrie, UNC has Kendall Marshall. I like that Seth correctly states (IMO) that neither of those relationships will really matter in the end.

UCLA's confidence is interesting. At least they think it is down to them and us rather than them and UNC ;)

Just read that article on SI and I thought the same exact two things.

I know people through around the use of "brothers" between KI and HB a lot since they mentioned it. But let's take a step back for a second. I know they have played together and/or attended many camps together but in no rational way do I think that would make them like "brothers" or "best friends". To me a "brother" or "best friend" in relationship to a friend is someone you had grown up with, possibly spent a great amount of time over the past numbers of years together (i.e. high school or college years". My friend Joe who I've know for over 20 years is my best friend who is like a brother to me since we shared so many good and bad times together such as championships in some recreatoinal football league, Yankee championships, getting married to our wives and the births of our daughters. Those to me are examples being "brothers" and "best friends". To me it's a insult to those that have those true relationships and even to HB and KI. In HB's case, I'm sure the idea of playing with KI and even Andre gives him a certain comfort but I'm sure it's not the main reason when he chooses Duke (yes...glass half full). HB is too smart of a kid from what I see to base a choice soley on a friend, and that what KI is at the moment to him and even Marshall at UNC can be thrown into this, being at a respective school. I know leave my soapbox...LOL

As for UCLA, I definitely found their confidence suprising. Do they have much to offer, of course they do and on par with UNC, Duke and Kansas. But odd considering the limited amount of national attention they've received in this process. Maybe all the California babes had something to do with...just saying;)

That said, Harrison to Duke and let the party begin later today!!!!

airowe
11-13-2009, 08:30 AM
How is everyone?

Getting gesticulative yet? ;)

whereinthehellami
11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Given how well (read: mature) he has acted during the entire recruiting process, I suspect Harrison will make the effort to call each of the six coaches before the presser to let them know his decision.

That's the appropriate thing to do. I can't see him announcing like Derrick Favors did last year (when Coach Hewitt didn't have idea until the announcement).

I've never understood why that is the appropriate thing to do. In my experience when kids let the coaches know before the signing, a leak is pretty much guaranteed. These are kids not professionals. There is nothing wrong with holding a public announcement and letting everyone know. Now the whole hat thing is a little much, especially when a recruit toys with one school over another.

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
How is everyone?

Getting gesticulative yet? ;)

Doing good and you?

Just gonna work on some reports this morning keeping a eye on the board until about 1-2pm and then pay closer attention to any possible leaks coming out. I'm thinking the #$#@ may hit the fan if HB starts letting coaches know that he will not be attending their said school but rather Duke (no inside knowledge but keeping the glass half full) prior to the conference. I just can't see him leaving all the coaches in limbo right up to his announcement.

Not sure if anyone as any inside info but while checking the ISU and UNC boards to check their pulses I did happen to see a mention of HB possibly letting the coaches involved of his decision as early as last night. Would anyone be privy to know of such information? Just curious as I truly believe we probably won't hear any possible word until the earliest 3pm regarding possible leaks. Given how word spreads so quickly in this internet age, it's not only Duke vs UNC vs the field but HB vs the internet/recruiting gurus.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

I don't think that would change anything.

BD80
11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Seth sounded like Vizzini trying to decide from which cup to drink.

I think it is promising that each of the other schools believe that it is down to their school and Duke.

BlueintheFace
11-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Harrison Barnes set to break the internet this afternoon...

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
2000 posts and 100 pages here we come...LOL

What do you think? By 10am we break those barriers?

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 08:58 AM
2000 posts and 100 pages here we come...LOL

What do you think? By 10am we break those barriers?

I think we have a great shot!! Lets keep posting.

davekay1971
11-13-2009, 09:09 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG today's the day! Wonder what Santa is gonna bring us??

dukeboy83
11-13-2009, 09:13 AM
After three days of bad weather in NC and the fractured wrist of Mason Plumlee, I think today the Sun comes back out, we get an opening day win and Good News awaits.
GO DUKE!!!

Azdukefan
11-13-2009, 09:16 AM

It's actually at two here in AZ but you are right, it is nice not to have to wait as long from my sleep (not that I got any with the excitement of the game and the announcement). Welcome home HB, welcome home!

DukeSean
11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Feelin' good about today, and not just cause I think HB is gonna make it official to Duke, but cause it's FRIDAY BABY!

CEF1959
11-13-2009, 09:31 AM
It's amazing. Six schools, all this attention from fans and the press, and no leaks.

This guy should run the US military. Which he may one day.

I know some coaches who will be real jumpy when the phone rings today.

bigj4194
11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod (family guy reference)

today's the day!!!!!! T-6.5 hours!

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod (family guy reference)

today's the day!!!!!! T-6.5 hours!

gigity gigity....let's go HB

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG today's the day! Wonder what Santa is gonna bring us??

I feel just like a little kid on Christmas morning. We have made our wish list and waited all this time. I hope Santa brings HB and I hope he stuffs our stockings with a WIN against UNCG!! :D

jv001
11-13-2009, 10:03 AM
It's amazing. Six schools, all this attention from fans and the press, and no leaks.

This guy should run the US military. Which he may one day.

I know some coaches who will be real jumpy when the phone rings today.

You could be correct. Harrison could run the military one day. That's if he chooses Duke. Hey he did have "waitergate" didn't he? Go Duke!

Jackson
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Six hours left! Tick....breathe....tick....breathe...man I am productive today!!!!!

rotogod00
11-13-2009, 10:10 AM
not that anyone needed help to whet their appetite, but here are a couple of videos from ESPN last nite:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4649855&categoryid=2491548

this one is on the top uncommitteds...main focus is obviously mr. barnes

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4649846&categoryid=2491548

this one discusses duke's (and michigan state's) 2010 recruits....well, it really only focuses on kyrie

HCheek37
11-13-2009, 10:10 AM
between this thread and the John Wall thread, the focus of this board is becoming more and more the recruiting side of things. I cant wait til the season starts and our main reason to come to the forums is to vote on last nights MVP and talk about the great game plan and execution from the night before.

IF there is a leak, when do you think it will be? The coach who will get HB cannot hold back his excitement and surely tell someone who will leak it correct? Do you think Harrison will be calling around noon or early afternoon?

Also, I'm sure its somewhere in the previous 95+ pages, but can someone briefly give the cliffnotes of the different rumors mentioned in the front page article?

Thanks

Huh?
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
alright, time to purge this from my mind until 4 if that is even possible.

impossible!!

UrinalCake
11-13-2009, 10:25 AM
IF there is a leak, when do you think it will be?

This reminds me of an old Dilbert strip where the boss tells him "From now on, I want advance notice of all unplanned network outages"!

airowe
11-13-2009, 10:27 AM
More stations in case desmoinesregister.com crashes:

http://www.myabc5.com/

http://www.kcci.com/sports/index.html

roywhite
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
You could be correct. Harrison could run the military one day. That's if he chooses Duke. Hey he did have "waitergate" didn't he? Go Duke!

HB will need some seasoning in public life before he runs for office. He'll probably serve in some capacity in the Battier Administration. :)

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Six hours left! Tick....breathe....tick....breathe...man I am productive today!!!!!

I work in a physician's office and have been slow to get my patients back today because I have spent all morning on DBR. When they ask me what the delay is today my response is simple, "Its Friday, November 13th, its HB DAY!!"

whereinthehellami
11-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I was looking around at the other sites and a poster on the free IC board was saying that there was a 2 page thread on the IC premium board saying Barnes to ISU. Apparently that was noteworthy because it was 2 pages long and not locked.

whereinthehellami
11-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I wonder if an FBI profiler could see thru the tea leaves and see where Harrison is going. HB has done a great job of keeping this a secret and keeping everyone in the race.

Huh?
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I have been over there the past few days and they are really confident about a Barnes commit.

uh_no
11-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I have been over there the past few days and they are really confident about a Barnes commit.

over where?

moonpie23
11-13-2009, 10:44 AM
If it goes our way today, i propose that EVERY friday the 13th be designated HARRISON BARNES DAY...

think of the merch....

Bluedevil114
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Where? Who is confident?

rhcpflea99
11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Finally!!!!! B-Day has arrived.

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I hope this is just a rumor but I read on another board that Harrison is wearing nothing but Jordan today.

rhcpflea99
11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I hope this is just a rumor but I read on another board that Harrison is wearing nothing but Jordon today.

About million other kids are too...

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I hope this is just a rumor but I read on another board that Harrison is wearing nothing but Jordan today.

Maybe his is planning on removing it at the press conference and having a DUKE shirt under it!! :)

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I hope that it's a decoy to throw the Carolina fans off once he hits them with a one two punch I'm going to Duke.

zdn_peanut
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Does anybody have a list of the Top 5 High School players over the last 10 years? I am really interested in the % that continued to excel in college/nba.

For example..remember Felipe Lopez for St. Johns?

airowe
11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Jordan is a brand. It does not equal UNC.

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM

HB has broken out ISU, Duke and UNC gear the past few days so I wouldn't read too much into. You could read this so many ways. Maybe this is his way of saying who his top 3 is. Maybe this means you are eliminated and he will break out some OU gear at 4pm. Who knows???? No but HB.

Ok, in the odd event he does not choose Duke, where do you think he goes? I'm got a feeling that OU may be flying under the radar and would be my sneaky choice...but in the end it won't matter, Duke all the way!

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Um thank you for breaking that down for me....I didn't know that. In response to Jordan being a brand. How did I get through life.

airowe
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Does anybody have a list of the Top 5 High School players over the last 10 years? I am really interested in the % that continued to excel in college/nba.

For example..remember Felipe Lopez for St. Johns?

http://rscihoops.com/

SeattleIrish
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
If not Duke, I think he goes UNC. He has frequently stated that he wants to go to a program that can compete for a national championship - that eliminates ISU from the running.

I would be very surprised if the Jordan gear means anything. It would be very odd for him to be broadcasting a lean anytime before his press conference.

I'll be rooting for him whereever he goes.

s.i.

77devil
11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Live Harrison Barnes blog from Scout analyst Evan Daniels at the Devil's Den
http://duke.scout.com/.

Bluedevil114
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
If not Duke, I think he goes UNC. He has frequently stated that he wants to go to a program that can compete for a national championship - that eliminates ISU from the running.

I would be very surprised if the Jordan gear means anything. It would be very odd for him to be broadcasting a lean anytime before his press conference.

I'll be rooting for him whereever he goes.

s.i.

It does not matter what he is wearing right now, it is more important what shade of blue is under his sweat suit...........Hopefully it is not the blue that girls and babies wear.

GO DUKE

airowe
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Goodman weighs in. He says Barnes to Duke as well...

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM

WOW, Goodman compares Barnes to Shane Battier in the way he handles himself. What a great kid!!

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I wonder when Harrison will call the coaches to let them know. I heard that this would happen in the morning. (meaning this morning)

striker219
11-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Live Harrison Barnes blog from Scout analyst Evan Daniels at the Devil's Den
http://duke.scout.com/.

Any Scout subscribers in the crowd?

CEF1959
11-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Good to know, but it's apparently based on his "gut feeling," nothing else. Better than a Carolina gut feeling I guess, but I don't know about the quality of Goodman's gut.

Whatever the decision is, it's been made.

airowe
11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Good to know, but it's apparently based on his "gut feeling," nothing else. Better than a Carolina gut feeling I guess, but I don't know about the quality of Goodman's gut.

Whatever the decision is, it's been made.

That's all people have. But a lot of people's guts are saying Duke...

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 11:33 AM
IF there is a leak, when do you think it will be? The coach who will get HB cannot hold back his excitement and surely tell someone who will leak it correct? Do you think Harrison will be calling around noon or early afternoon?

IF Harrison calls the coaches and IF there is a leak, the most likely leaker would be an assistant coach at one of the schools that was eliminated. The coach of the chosen school would not risk telling anybody outside his own staff, and his staff will know not to breath a word.

On the other hand, why is everybody looking around for a leak? In the grand scheme, is there any difference between knowing at 4pm and knowing at 2pm or 3pm? Especially when the early information is probably a false rumor?

Relax, everyone. We'll know in a few hours and nothing you can do will change anything.

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Which is comforting, but still means a whole lot of nothing.

roywhite
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Relax, everyone. We'll know in a few hours and nothing you can do will change anything.

"K" Sera Sera

striker219
11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

My guts are telling me I should have had one less glass of wine last night. I wonder what Harrison is hearing from his guts?

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
"K" Sera Sera

LOL nice. It is what it is!

roywhite
11-13-2009, 11:55 AM
LOL nice. It is what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iu1uD3R3pA

Everybody, join in, now. :)

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Why, why have I been sucked into this...LOL

rhcpflea99
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
All I read is..
Duke vs UNC
Duke vs OK
Duke vs UCLA
Duke vs ISU

Huh?
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
over where?

cyclonefanatic.com

A lot of reasons are just speculative, but most everyone one there really thinks he is ISU bound.

IBleedBlue
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Since, I am virtually not getting any work done today and will not do any after 4PM- either due to excessive celebration or due to disappointment, I promised my client that I will work tomorrow to make up today's time.:p

This is the first time ever that a 17 year old kid has effected my routine. Heck, even chuck norris couldn't cut it for me!!!

airowe
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
cyclonefanatic.com

A lot of reasons are just speculative, but most everyone one there really thinks he is ISU bound.

When in Rome....

Every message board is confident right now except KU.

Jackson
11-13-2009, 12:25 PM
cyclonefanatic.com

Just like everyone here thinks (hopes) he is headed here!

Huh?
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
IF Harrison calls the coaches and IF there is a leak, the most likely leaker would be an assistant coach at one of the schools that was eliminated. The coach of the chosen school would not risk telling anybody outside his own staff, and his staff will know not to breath a word.

On the other hand, why is everybody looking around for a leak? In the grand scheme, is there any difference between knowing at 4pm and knowing at 2pm or 3pm? Especially when the early information is probably a false rumor?

One hour less of a chance I don't have a heart attack.

quickgtp
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Marty Tirrell, an Iowa-based radio/media guy has said HB has picked UNC. TIFWIW.

airowe
11-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Marty Tirrell, an Iowa-based radio/media guy has said HB has picked UNC. TIFWIW.

He said duke on the 9th. Just trying to be right.

http://twitter.com/Martytirrell

Anyone who calls themselves "The Mouth of the Midwest" should not be trusted.

rhcpflea99
Not sure who this guy is but look at his tweet.

http://twitter.com/martytirrell/statuses/5573208485

Huh?
I just don't see him not selecting Duke, it seems to be too much of a perfect fit.

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 12:34 PM
cyclonefanatic.com

Yeah, was catching up on their posts and there seems to be a lot of momentum gathering there. One of the "rumors" to go along with the 1,234,567 rumors is that the ISU president or someone of high rank at ISU was invited to the announcement leading to further speculation that why ask the ISU president, have the public and etc. attending without announcing for ISU. That seem's to be there reasoning. Hey, it goes along with all the rationalizing that us Duke fans have done along with that of the UNC fan base. Hype up what is good for your team while downplaying the opponents. It's normal actions. We will find out shortly who guessed right!

NYDukie
11-13-2009, 12:35 PM
He said duke on the 9th. Just trying to be right.

http://twitter.com/Martytirrell

Anyone who calls themselves "The Mouth of the Midwest" should not be trusted.

Even the ISU faithful were bashing him saying he is either always wrong or just trying to get on the prediction bandwagon.

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 12:36 PM

And here's what they say about that on the Iowa State message boards:

Given Marty's track record that's great news for ISU and Duke fans.

BD80
11-13-2009, 12:36 PM
... Relax, everyone. We'll know in a few hours and nothing you can do will change anything.

Au contraire mon ami, I can start drinking heavily (pre-celebration) - it is after 5:00 in Ireland!

quickgtp
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
And here's what they say about that on the Iowa State message boards:

LOL Kedsy, great find!

Huh?
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Not sure who this guy is but look at his tweet.

http://twitter.com/martytirrell/statuses/5573208485

I was reading on an ISU message board that the same guy said HB was going to Duke because when he asked Barnes where he was going and named Duke he "looked down and to the left." Or right.... Something like that.

The posters on there also talked about how much smoke this guy blows.

Azdukefan
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Until I read the last two pages of the thread I never contemplated if the jordan brand had any involvement in this recruitment. Initially, I thought it might until I looked down and realized I have on jordan gym shorts (and am a Duke blue through and through) and the first time I ever saw Mason he had on jordan gear. Welcome to Duke HB!

Kedsy
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Au contraire mon ami, I can start drinking heavily (pre-celebration) - it is after 5:00 in Ireland!

You wait until it's 5pm somewhere now? I thought our old rule was it only had to be noon somewhere?

CEF1959
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
::::yawn:::: ::::scratch::::

Hey, guys. Just woke up from a 6 month nap. Any word on the Harrison Barnes thing? Is Duke still recruiting him? I heard UNC might be interested. What's up with that?

SeattleIrish
11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
lol - I, for one, enjoy the intrigue!

The recruitment of Harrison Barnes and his impending announcement has been as enjoyable as any since I started following the game.

Good stuff.

s.i.

Huh?
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
::::yawn:::: ::::scratch::::

Hey, guys. Just woke up from a 6 month nap. Any word on the Harrison Barnes thing? Is Duke still recruiting him? I heard UNC might be interested. What's up with that?

Nothing much, no one has really talked about it lately.

kong123
11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Andy Katz is reporting on ESPNU's crawler that Harrison Barnes is making his phone calls right now!!!!

loran16
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
....If Barnes goes to UNC....ugh. Cmon kid, choose the right shade of blue.

I don't think its the end of the world for next season if he does, but its a huge slap at our recruiting, considering how much earlier we were on him than UNC.

Cmon....make the right choice Harrison.

airowe
11-13-2009, 12:55 PM
mp3 of Dave Telep on 620thebuzz this morning:

http://www.espntriangle.com/includes/news_items/6/227/111309telep.mp3

CEF1959
11-13-2009, 12:56 PM
WHO-TV in DesMoines is reporting that HB has scheduled an appearance for Sunday with their people to discuss his decision.

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-barnes-choice-111309,0,2107407.story

Hmm. Why do that if he's going out of state? Just to explain himself to disappointed locals, perhaps? Or is the Ouija board puck headed toward the "I"?

zdd
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Word out of Ames is that Shirley Barnes was just at Moe's Bakery picking up cupcakes for the reception. Supposedly, the person working the counter recognized her and asked jokingly if she wanted yellow and gold frosting, to which she just smiled coyly...

Huh?
11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Word out of Ames is that Shirley Barnes was just at Moe's Bakery picking up cupcakes for the reception. Supposedly, the person working the counter recognized her and asked jokingly if she wanted yellow and gold frosting, to which she just smiled coyly...

HAHA, I just read that. How ridiculous...cupcake theories?

cbnaylor
11-13-2009, 12:58 PM
That's a good point. I'm laughing at all of these rumors. I heard on Iowa State board that Barnes mother went into a store to buy cupcakes and someone asked her if they had red and gold and she just smiled. They are going crazy on Iowa state board.

Franzez
11-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow.

Azdukefan
The article says he is making the announcement at 3:10 in Iowa. They are on eastern time right? That makes a 1:10 announcement for me.

zdd
The article says he is making the announcement at 3:10 in Iowa. They are on eastern time right? That makes a 1:10 announcement for me.

Central time.

zdd
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
HAHA, I just read that. How ridiculous...cupcake theories?

It's reached full-blown insanity. Tar Heel boards are melting down. ISU board was melting down until the cupcakes and the invitation to ISU president was leaked. Never seen anything like this.

Jackson
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
This keeps getting worse and worse. I can deal with anything I think as long as it isn't the holes. But I'm still hoping it's Duke

Azdukefan
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I can't take this! My heart is beating out of my chest. Hopefully in a couple of hours my heart will be beating with excitement.

CEF1959
11-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Hmm. "Cupcake" sounds like Kupchak, which would suggest UNC-CH. But "Frosting" sounds like "Foster" who coached at Duke. And "Bakery" kind of rhymes with "Dockery" as in Sean Dockery.

Darn these fickle tea leaves.

Azdukefan
11-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Would you be willing to take a loss tonight for a win in the HB sweepstakes (obviously we want both)? I would in a heartbeat!

Franzez
11-13-2009, 01:07 PM
It's reached full-blown insanity. Tar Heel boards are melting down. ISU board was melting down until the cupcakes and the invitation to ISU president was leaked. Never seen anything like this.
Its crazy.

Hes special considering hes from Iowa, but his game reminds me a lot of Malik Hairston than Carmelo Anthony(ISU fans compared him to)

loran16
11-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Two things:
One, there are rabid Cyclone fans?
Two, what ISU Fan in their right mind believes he'd choose ISU? It was clear from the start that ISU was probably at best #4 out of his 6 choices.

If he picks the Cyclones, the world has turned on its head.

zdd
11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Two things:
One, there are rabid Cyclone fans?
Two, what ISU Fan in their right mind believes he'd choose ISU? It was clear from the start that ISU was probably at best #4 out of his 6 choices.

If he picks the Cyclones, the world has turned on its head.

He's been a lifelong ISU fan, father played there, mom works there, good friends with ISU coach's son at Ames High.

This is no content for every single recruit in the country, but he's a unique case.

moonpie23
11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
testing my slingbox currently as my cable here does not have ESPNU.

testing
testing
testing...

IBleedBlue
11-13-2009, 01:14 PM
If my son was competing for a gold medal in olympics and I had front row tickets for it, I would probably invite my boss as well along with my family. May be that's what Mr.barnes' mother did.
There are obviously, many angles to it. So, relax and hang on!!

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
My stomach is starting to hurt a little. Im not sure if its what I ate for lunch or not. Im getting very very nervous.

zdd
If my son was competing for a gold medal in olympics and I had front row tickets for it, I would probably invite my boss as well along with my family. May be that's what Mr.barnes' mother did.
There are obviously, many angles to it. So, relax and hang on!!

He's the president of a university with 25,000 students. She's an assistant in the music department.

Boss? Technically, yes. Not like she's a direct report, though.

BD80
It is 1:10, somebody on the West Coast tell us where he is going!

BTW bakery sounds like former Duke guard Kenny Blakeney

allenmurray
He's been a lifelong ISU fan, father played there, mom works there, good friends with ISU coach's son at Ames High.

This is no content for every single recruit in the country, but he's a unique case.

If he doesn't come to Duke I hope he goes to Iowa State. There would be something admirable to a kid wanting to play for the home town team, especially with all his connections there.

Kewlswim
11-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I believe Duke is the best choice for a number of Duke shaded glasses reasons, but rarely do people talk about (not at games themselves, but during the week as a whole) how a kid at Duke gets to just be a college kid. I had "stars" in one class and they were just another student in that class. I saw "stars" walking on the Quad and they were left alone to have fun with their friends. I personally don't know about any other schools besides Duke and Stanford (where at Stanford an Olympic Gold Medalist sat next to me for a Quarter, again, just another student)--so if Harrison decides not to play for us I recommend he play for JD. :) Seriously, it may be the same at UNC or ISU, I don't know. Duke is a really special place for a great basketball player to live, learn, and grow.

GO DUKE!