PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

NSDukeFan
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
I find this one of the funniest terms around recruiting. "they made up ground" Who cares who made up ground and what place everyone is in? He is not going to 48% come here, 44% go to UNC, 4% go to KU and 3% go to UCLA and 1% go to Oklahoma. I expect he will 100% go to one of the above schools no matter how much ground another school may have made up.

DukieBoy
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I find this one of the funniest terms around recruiting. "they made up ground" Who cares who made up ground and what place everyone is in? He is not going to 48% come here, 44% go to UNC, 4% go to KU and 3% go to UCLA and 1% go to Oklahoma. I expect he will 100% go to one of the above schools no matter how much ground another school may have made up.

Being that I'm in finite class this semester, let's keep the percentages to a minimum in order to keep me from getting headaches. Thanks :D

diveonthefloor
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I like our chances!

elvis14
10-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I like our chances!

Yeah, I think we really made up ground when HB was on campus :D

SeattleIrish
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
I do trust that someone will post a link as soon as there are any quotes from the visit, right? It seems so odd that not one person has interviewed him since Saturday...or have I missed a whole other thread?

s.i.

edited for typo

airowe
10-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I do trust that someone will post a link as soon as there are any quotes from the visit, right? It seems so odd that not one person has interviewed him since Saturday...or have I missed a whole other thread?

s.i.

edited for typo

This is standard practice for Harrison Barnes. He's generally not granted interviews after his official visits and has played his cards very close to the vest.

He is doing a diary for highschoolhoop.com that should come out by Friday so we'll know more then.

oldnavy
10-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I haven't read anything that would make me think HB is NOT going to Duke. So I take that as a positive. If we are on the bubble so to speak, I have a feeling that KI's commitment will be the deciding factor in our favor. Just a hunch.

Bsim412
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I am sitting beside a Carolina fan in classs and he seriously thinks they will get Barnes hahahahaha

Memphis Devil
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
How many times do you think the phrase "close to the vest" has been used in this thread? What do you say we set the over/under at 200?

I'm going with the over!:rolleyes:

jesus_hurley
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
How many times do you think the phrase "close to the vest" has been used in this thread? What do you say we set the over/under at 200?

I'm going with the over!:rolleyes:

I'm going to keep my guess close to the vest :D

NYDukie
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
I am sitting beside a Carolina fan in classs and he seriously thinks they will get Barnes hahahahaha

Becuase of the dual recruitment of Barnes by Duke and UNC I have snuck over to the IC board to check their pulse on the Barnes recruitment. I have to say they seem pretty confident that they will get him, much more so than what I read on the board here. I don't know why the chatter over there seems so much so than over here at the moment since Barnes has been so private on matters. My only guess is that since Barnes has been a projected lean so long and that UNC came into the game relatively late and by their accounts blew him away with the alumni game so that they now think of themselves as the no brainer. I tend to like our more professional, under the radar approach. I don't see Barnes as the type who would let a glitzy event sway him in his final decision. That said, I do wonder if the misses on PP, Monroe, etc. along with the fact UNC is involved with Barnes as made some leery of posting the past few days since Barnes OV. Given the magnitude of the player involved I have also found the thread relatively quiet since Barnes visit. If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this, please do so. And don't shoot the messanger here with regard to what I've intepreted from skimming the IC board related to Barnes...LOL

NYDukie
10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Becuase of the dual recruitment of Barnes by Duke and UNC I have snuck over to the IC board to check their pulse on the Barnes recruitment. I have to say they seem pretty confident that they will get him, much more so than what I read on the board here. I don't know why the chatter over there seems so much so than over here at the moment since Barnes has been so private on matters. My only guess is that since Barnes has been a projected lean so long and that UNC came into the game relatively late and by their accounts blew him away with the alumni game so that they now think of themselves as the no brainer. I tend to like our more professional, under the radar approach. I don't see Barnes as the type who would let a glitzy event sway him in his final decision. That said, I do wonder if the misses on PP, Monroe, etc. along with the fact UNC is involved with Barnes as made some leery of posting the past few days since Barnes OV. Given the magnitude of the player involved I have also found the thread relatively quiet since Barnes visit. If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this, please do so. And don't shoot the messanger here with regard to what I've intepreted from skimming the IC board related to Barnes...LOL

Oh, and for the record, I do think Barnes will be in a Duke uniform next year. No inside info on my part, just my thoughts based on what I've read, etc.

airowe
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
The main reason you don't see more chatter here is because this is not predominately a recruiting board like IC is. If you want to see a lot of posts, go to TDD. They've had three 100 page threads on Barnes and are working on their 4th.

superdave
10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I have to say they seem pretty confident that they will get him, much more so than what I read on the board here.

I know a lot more unc fans than Duke fans and I find them to be very arrogant and to have a sense of entitlement. For example, after they won the title 6 months ago one of them said to me "I dont really feel like celebrating that much...I just want to know when John Wall is going to come to unc."

So that sort of attitude is likely why they are so sure they will get HB.

Super "8 - 20" Dave

Indoor66
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I know a lot more unc fans than Duke fans and I find them to be very arrogant and to have a sense of entitlement. For example, after they won the title 6 months ago one of them said to me "I dont really feel like celebrating that much...I just want to know when John Wall is going to come to unc."

Super "8 - 20" Dave

I think you hit it on the head. They think that no player would deign to go anywhere else if the godlike Roy and heavenly dump on the hump expressed an interest in him.

soccerstud2210
10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

i also took a look at the IC boards, and they are almost sure they have HB locked up. mostly to do with the fact on how late they came into the process and how HB gave them the last in home visit and didnt tell K as well as how he moved the UCLA OV after Duke's OV and stuff like that.

CEF1959
10-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I really hope we get him, and more than that I hope UNC-CH does not. But he's a good kid with a long life in front of him, so mostly I wish him well.

Duke would be the best fit for him in my opinion. But in the end he'll do what HE thinks is best for him. And he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, so I won't be second-guessing any decisions he and his family make.

JaMarcus Russell
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Right, it's based on speculation and trivial details that everyone is making a big deal out of, but in many cases don't occur for the reasons that "recruiting insiders" think. If anyone here follows SEC football recruiting, they will know that there are numerous threads every year that start out with "(Insert name of 5-star recruit) was spotted wearing a red sweatshirt. He is Bama's to lose".

NYDukie
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
The main reason you don't see more chatter here is because this is not predominately a recruiting board like IC is. If you want to see a lot of posts, go to TDD. They've had three 100 page threads on Barnes and are working on their 4th.

Silly me. I've been so wrapped up in various team topics here that I've never really focused on TDD. I like having the TDD option but I do like DBR's overall focus better.

NYDukie
10-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Super "8 - 20" Dave

Being an outsider from NYC and not privy to all of the "Triangle" fan dynamics, I find it kind of hypocritical of many UNC fans (and I don't want to throw all of them under the bus as I'ver read some quality poster who are UNC fans on this board) to say how Duke fans, students, etc. are elitist when it appears they carry themselve with an air of arrogance they supposedly despise. I know some of the issues outside basketball are for another thread as I've seen the past couple of days but from a basketball standpoiny it makes one laugh and shake their head.

west_coast_devil
10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
I really hope we get him, and more than that I hope UNC-CH does not. But he's a good kid with a long life in front of him, so mostly I wish him well.

Duke would be the best fit for him in my opinion. But in the end he'll do what HE thinks is best for him. And he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, so I won't be second-guessing any decisions he and his family make.

I agree. Not just saying this as I am Duke biased, but it does seem that Duke would be HB's best fit and a great fit for Duke as well. Only about 2 weeks till the anouncment!

CameronBlue
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Super "8 - 20" Dave

That's because they know that a future of "entitlements" awaits them. Gotta get me some of that government cheese.

ice-9
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
While I agree Duke is the best fit for Barnes, is it any wonder that UNC is a very close runner up?

- Basketball school with tradition and recent success: check
- Decent business school and good overall academic reputation: check
- Hall of fame coach: check
- Strong surrounding cast: check
- Running game that wing recruits generally love: check
- Nice campus and pretty co-eds: check

I know this is blasphemy, but UNC makes a great choice for a player like Barnes.

If I had a kid like Barnes, I'd tell him to look at schools with the following preference: Duke, Stanford, UNC, UCLA. And maybe Kansas, but only because Self has done such a tremendous job there.

phillyheel
10-28-2009, 01:44 PM

I would have to disagree with your assertion. The main flaw in your hypothesis is that you are only taking into account the people who post an opinion. I think the majority of Carolina fans think he is going to Duke it's just that they aren't likely to post that on a UNC board because it's negative and frowned upon by the site.

phillyheel
10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I know this is blasphemy, but UNC makes a great choice for a player like Barnes.

And I think just about any reasonable Carolina fan would say the same about Duke.

airowe
10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
While I agree Duke is the best fit for Barnes, is it any wonder that UNC is a very close runner up?

If I had a kid like Barnes, I'd tell him to look at schools with the following preference: Duke, Stanford, UNC, UCLA. And maybe Kansas, but only because Self has done such a tremendous job there.

I completely agree that UNC has a ton to offer.

I think one of the biggest advantages K has over Roy is the proven track record of putting wings like Barnes in the League.

Roy has Pierce and ?

K has many. Hill, Battier, Dunleavy, et al.

Roy's system has generally featured guards and centers while K's puts the ball in the hands of his wings to create and score like they will in the League. Roy does push the ball up the court quickly and guys certainly like to play fast, but how many teams in the NBA play like that? I can think of one or two off the top of my head, and one is led by a Duke PG. ;)

Exiled_Devil
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Is a business school a concern for H? Because Duke doesn't have an undergrad business degree. And, incidentally, UNC has better than a 'decent' business school. Try top-25. Of course, Fuqua is top 10.

BD80
10-28-2009, 02:09 PM
And I think just about any reasonable Carolina fan would say the same about Duke.

"reasonable Carolina fan?"

Last seen riding with the Eater Bunny on the Loch Ness monster on the way to visit Santa.

NYDukie
10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I would have to disagree with your assertion. The main flaw in your hypothesis is that you are only taking into account the people who post an opinion. I think the majority of Carolina fans think he is going to Duke it's just that they aren't likely to post that on a UNC board because it's negative and frowned upon by the site.

Let's use Election Day as our scientific poll to see where Duke and UNC fans expect Barnes to choose as it's a week before his final decision...LOL

jesus_hurley
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
i also took a look at the IC boards, and they are almost sure they have HB locked up. mostly to do with the fact on how late they came into the process and how HB gave them the last in home visit and didnt tell K as well as how he moved the UCLA OV after Duke's OV and stuff like that.

Sounds like you got a taste of 'TrustInRoy'. Along with lacking any sense of objectivity, he's also misinformed

soccerstud2210
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds like you got a taste of 'TrustInRoy'. Along with lacking any sense of objectivity, he's also misinformed

haha ya, but he sure does a good job of stirring up things over there

misinformed how?

ice-9
10-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Is a business school a concern for H? Because Duke doesn't have an undergrad business degree. And, incidentally, UNC has better than a 'decent' business school. Try top-25. Of course, Fuqua is top 10.

I remember someone asking Barnes what it would take for his hometown school to become a favorite and he replied with something along the lines of "If it became #1 in basketball and had a #1 business school."

So yeah, a business education is important to Barnes.

That said, and I wrote about this before, undergrad business is a red herring. It's simply not an advisable degree to take. And at the undergrad level, in my not so humble opinion, it's Wharton and everyone else. (MIT, Berkeley and Michigan may be alright, but they're alright because they're MIT, Berkeley and Michigan, not because their business schools are particularly great.)

It's actually not so much the institution as much as undergrad students in general who are simply ill-prepared to take courses that rely on work experience and maturity to understand and appreciate.

That's why the top schools like Harvard and Stanford don't offer undergrad business programs even though they are elite MBA schools.

So....sure, UNC business school looks good on paper, but I would NEVER tell my kid to go to UNC because of the business school. It's far better to go to a school with a better overall academic reputation like Duke -- even if interested in business -- than it is to go to business school at UNC. Just look through the ranks of consulting firms, banks, funds, top MBA programs etc. to validate this theory.

Greg_Newton
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's good way to translate the IC threads about Barnes: if recent posts are full of winks and assurances he's a UNC lock, it means they think they have pulled close to even with us. If recent posts are about why Reggie Bullock is better than Barnes anyway and they never needed him in the first place, it means they think they're losing ground.

No one on IC knows anything, especially on the free board. Even their "insiders" have been flat-out wrong on several major issues lately. Like previous posters have said, browse through the (literally) hundreds of pages of Barnes posts on TDD if you need some reassurance... DBR is, thankfully, a different animal.

JG Nothing
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM
That's why the top schools like Harvard and Stanford don't offer undergrad business programs even though they are elite MBA schools.

Duke does not offer an undergraduate degree in business. Here is why there is no undergraduate business program:
http://news.chronicleblogs.com/2009/08/25/why-doesnt-duke-have-an-undergraduate-business-program/

superdave
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Undergrads apply to get into the undergrad business school at UNC at the end of their sophmore year. So...HB stands a very good chance of never taking an undergrad business school class if he pick the tar holes. In my humble estimation, econ is the best undergrad major for aspiring business men who happen to play basketball.

Also, if HB were considering which program on his list had the best team to join, Duke and UNC would be at the top even after Ed Davis goes pro in April. UCLA and Oklahoma are somewhat diminished, Kentucky is likely to lose several guys after this season so it will fall back to the pack. Iowa State would be near the bottom.

But Duke having an elite PG in KI sets it apart from the tar holes, right?

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Duke does not offer an undergraduate degree in business. Here is why there is no undergraduate business program:
http://news.chronicleblogs.com/2009/08/25/why-doesnt-duke-have-an-undergraduate-business-program/

Really interesting article. This pretty much sums it up as to why Duke doesn't have an undergrad program. Completely agree with it. Plus, IMO, she should talk to H to further convince him:

“We really like the marriage of either the strong base in the liberal arts or the strong base in the sciences… with [the Master of Management Studies program] because we really believe that when you combine those two, it is a far more powerful combination and really gives someone the benefit of what we believe is a true Duke sort of education, quite frankly,”

MChambers
10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
"reasonable Carolina fan?"

Last seen riding with the Eater Bunny on the Loch Ness monster on the way to visit Santa.

I'd give Wheat and ClosetHurleyFan the moniker of reasonable Carolina fan, but they are the only two I know. I think Wheat has acknowledged that Duke is a good fit for Barnes, although he thinks UNC is too.

jesus_hurley
10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
haha ya, but he sure does a good job of stirring up things over there

misinformed how?

Mostly the posts that Coach K asked for certain slots for the visits - Barnes clearly stated in his press release the week after the in-homes that this was false:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/harrison-barnes-clears-up-dukeunc-rumors/

During the scheduling of my in-home visits at no point did Coach K say to my family and I that he wanted the “last” home visit, or did I say to him or his staff that I want you to have the “last” home visit. I have unofficially visited Coach K and Duke University on three occasions, so the “last” in-home visit was not going to make or break the relationship we’ve established.

That along with, if you trust the Duke insiders on scout (I broke down and got a membership during the meltdown), the Duke staff was aware of UNC coming in behind them during the in-home visit.

***OMG! I just found a flaw in one of HB's statements! The misuse of 'and I' in the above quote

soccerstud2210
10-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Mostly the posts that Coach K asked for certain slots for the visits - Barnes clearly stated in his press release the week after the in-homes that this was false:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/harrison-barnes-clears-up-dukeunc-rumors/

That along with, if you trust the Duke insiders on scout (I broke down and got a membership during the meltdown), the Duke staff was aware of UNC coming in behind them during the in-home visit.

***OMG! I just found a flaw in one of HB's statements! The misuse of 'and I' in the above quote

awesome stuff. thanks!

airowe
10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Undergrads apply to get into the undergrad business school at UNC at the end of their sophmore year. So...HB stands a very good chance of never taking an undergrad business school class if he pick the tar holes. In my humble estimation, econ is the best undergrad major for aspiring business men who happen to play basketball.

Also, if HB were considering which program on his list had the best team to join, Duke and UNC would be at the top even after Ed Davis goes pro in April. UCLA and Oklahoma are somewhat diminished, Kentucky is likely to lose several guys after this season so it will fall back to the pack. Iowa State would be near the bottom.

But Duke having an elite PG in KI sets it apart from the tar holes, right?

Still not sure how people think Barnes has Kentucky on his list.

UK = Kentucky
KU = Kansas

oldnavy
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Super "8 - 20" Dave

Several years ago, my wife (a die-hard, UNC fan) and I were discussing the difference b/w UNC and Duke fans. My point to her was that UNC fans did not appreciate their success as much as Duke fans did (read, spoiled), because since Dean Smith they had never really had a down year. I compared that to Duke's woeful years during the early 70's and even the 95 season. I told her that a bad year could happen with the loss of a key player or if the coach went out, like in 95 for us. Her reply made my argument better than anything I could have said, she said "that could never happen at UNC"... well, the next year, you guessed it 8-20! I enjoyed that year as much as any year in my life!! Wasn't the happiest year of my 20+ marriage, but I sure enjoyed it!

GopherBlue
10-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I remember someone asking Barnes what it would take for his hometown school to become a favorite and he replied with something along the lines of "If it became #1 in basketball and had a #1 business school."

So yeah, a business education is important to Barnes.

How many basketball programs can tout a Hall of Fame head coach who is also an executive-in-residence in a top business school and has a Center for Leadership & Ethics named after him?

Exiled_Devil
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM

This is interesting, but Blair only tells part of the story. Duke stopped offering a business undergrad in part because the accreditation requirements for an undergrad business degree demanded too many specific classes to be compatible with the Duke core curriculum.

The MMS is an interesting program - I wouldn't be surprised to see some 5th year redshirt athletes pursuing that degree. ( Not sure if that would work, I recall the degree involves some travel)

Wheat/"/"/"
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd give Wheat and ClosetHurleyFan the moniker of reasonable Carolina fan, but they are the only two I know. I think Wheat has acknowledged that Duke is a good fit for Barnes, although he thinks UNC is too.

Recruiting...it's somewhat interesting, but sort of ho hum to me...I follow who is after who, but really don't get too worked up about it or care past generalities on who fits best where (position-wise needs)...and that UNC gets some talent.

How can we say Barnes is a better fit (insert school) when the vast majority of us havn't seen him play a game, much less know the kid?

I just sit back and entertain myself by observing the process- reading the player reviews- and let the chips fall wherever.

He will make a good decision, because there are no bad choices out there for him.

I much rather like watching freshmen play and developing an opinion of their game. I've never seen Barnes play past a few Youtube clips, and won't for at least another year.

Once they sign, I'll increase my interest, but as we sit here today, I've seen Henson, Strickland McDonald, the Wears, Mason Plumlee, Curry, Dawkins play a total of about 5 minutes in the pitiful McD game, and a few crappy Youtube clips.

I want to see them play, excited to see them finally play soon... the guys on the team in a real game, and then we can start debating matchups and play, which I enjoy.

Like the great Gene Hackman Hoosiers quote "my players are on the floor", or something like that.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
What it is useful for is pointing out that Roy Williams frequently curses directly into the microphone on national television...

Frequently?

That was a rare occurance during an emotional time for Roy Williams. He rarely uses foul language, in public, at least from my experience watching him.

Do you really want to start a conversation about the coach with the foulest language between K and Roy?

I have been known for salty language at times myself, so I am not too sensitive to this, but lets not put misleading statements out there for a recruit to read.

superdave
10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Frequently?

That was a rare occurance during an emotional time for Roy Williams. He rarely uses foul language, in public, at least from my experience watching him.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6667588

Beating NCSU is not a rare occurance nor is it an emotional time.

BD80
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Frequently?

Beating NCSU is not a rare occurrence nor is it an emotional time.

Now THAT is funny! And pithy.

These moments are what make ol' roy's "dadgummit" moments so disingenuous.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Beating NCSU is not a rare occurance nor is it an emotional time.

You are forcing me to defend my coach.

That was a slip of the tongue, in a moment of anger, followed by a quick apology.

Coach K's regular and intense use of much worse foul language courtside- even with kids behind the bench is legendary.

My last comment on this...no need to drag this thread even lower.

airowe
10-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Superdave, I don't think we really have any place to talk on which Coach swears more in public. But really, who cares?

Back to Barnes, there has been nothing to come out publicly yet but I certainly expect his diary to come out today. If not today, tomorrow. This kid is not on anyone's timetable but his own.

Nov. 12th can't come soon enough.

MulletMan
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I have moved the B-School discussion to the OT board. It can be found here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17548)

I mean... at least try to keep it on topic, gang. I used a very loose criteria for the post that got moved... they didn't contain the name Barnes.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Superdave, I don't think we really have any place to talk on which Coach swears more in public. But really, who cares?

Back to Barnes, there has been nothing to come out publicly yet but I certainly expect his diary to come out today. If not today, tomorrow. This kid is not on anyone's timetable but his own.

Nov. 12th can't come soon enough.

Isn't it strange that the kid is doing everything right.... studying his options carefully, making complimentary/respectful statements after each visit, refusing to play the media game beyond his own words in his diary...just basically acting in a mature thoughtful way while making one of the biggest decisions in his young life...and message boards everywhere implode.

Scary to think how message boards will react where-ever he goes...

airowe
10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Isn't it strange that the kid is doing everything right.... studying his options carefully, making complimentary/respectful statements after each visit, refusing to play the media game beyond his own words in his diary...just basically acting in a mature thoughtful way while making one of the biggest decisions in his young life...and message boards everywhere implode.

Scary to think how message boards will react where-ever he goes...

Yeah, its amazing (though not surprising) that a 17 year old has more maturity in his little finger than a lot of people out there. Barnes, by all accounts, is so incredibly driven it amazes everyone around him.

6 AM the day after his team lost in the Iowa state tournament, a Freshman Barnes calls his coach to let him into the gym. His coach tells him it's been a long season, and he should take a week off. It's Spring Break! He tells his coach "You can't win championships by taking weeks off."

A couple weeks ago, a national recruiting journalist goes to interview Barnes in Iowa. He has the guy meet him on his school track. Barnes is there doing a series of wind sprints. It's 5:30 AM and Barnes has been there for a while. Alone. And it's snowing. On a school day nonetheless.

The last guy I remember being this composed and motivated at such a young age was Lebron. I hope every fan can see how special a talent this guy is and just root for his success.

Kedsy
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
A couple weeks ago, a national recruiting journalist goes to interview Barnes in Iowa. He has the guy meet him on his school track. Barnes is there doing a series of wind sprints. It's 5:30 AM and Barnes has been there for a while. Alone. And it's snowing. On a school day nonetheless.

It was snowing a couple weeks ago in Iowa?

moonpie23
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
just basically acting in a mature thoughtful way while making one of the biggest decisions in his young life...and message boards everywhere implode.

well, just look at it this way....

he picks UNC - so, what? everyone is going go "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

he picks duke: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

he picks KS: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

He picks UCLA: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

they guy can't lose really.....

striker219
10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
It was snowing a couple weeks ago in Iowa?

And he was doing his wind sprints uphill. All the way around the track.

Yeah, tracks can do that for HB.

JDev
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
As I said on another board, I think one thing Duke has going for it is that HB has seen actual games there. He will make his decision without ever having seen an actual game at UNC. I think a kid that is as intelligent and meticulous as HB would want to see actual game preparation as well as game-time atmosphere. I know he went to the UNC Alumni game, but that is an exhibition and celebration. It is a completely different animal than an actual game. Who knows, but that might help Duke in the end.

moonpie23
10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
well, just look at it this way....

he picks UNC - so, what? everyone is going go "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

he picks duke: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

he picks KS: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

He picks UCLA: "nah nah.....you picked a loser program for yourself. You'll never do anything at THAT school !! NAH NAH"

i just realized that i was quoting just about EVERY kentucky fan there.....sorry...

SupaDave
10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
As I said on another board, I think one thing Duke has going for it is that HB has seen actual games there. He will make his decision without ever having seen an actual game at UNC. I think a kid that is as intelligent and meticulous as HB would want to see actual game preparation as well as game-time atmosphere. I know he went to the UNC Alumni game, but that is an exhibition and celebration. It is a completely different animal than an actual game. Who knows, but that might help Duke in the end.

I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. The UNC weekend impressed his MOM more than HIM and that was really all about MJ (and I think it's quite obvious and he reiterates this in his new "Slam" mag diary).

HB was NOT the focus of the UNC alumni weekend and was really just a side show while he was sightseeing - but at Duke, HB was most definitely the focus. I think that goes much further.

Greg_Newton
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Annnd the Duke diary! http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-duke/

(Spoiler: it does not contain a commitment...)

lpd1982
10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I see NOTHING BUT POSITIVES in this entry and it gives me even greater hopes than ever that we would be a good fit. Even if it doesn't work out, what he remembers of the visit makes you proud to be part of the community. And, uh, props to the Crazies!

NSDukeFan
10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Annnd the Duke diary! http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-duke/

That was a nice article by Harrison and sounds like a great job by the staff at Duke.

BD80
10-29-2009, 02:21 PM

However, it does sound like he is committed.

This diary entry will not be well received in chapel hell

Andre rocks!

airowe
10-29-2009, 02:23 PM

I like the sounds of that.

roywhite
10-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Duke has touched all the bases in this recruitment. Congrats to Coach K and his staff for giving this their best shot. Similar to the great Bob Harris call from the Spectrum in 1992:

"Bobby Hurley up the floor with Laettner. They throw it the length of the court! COMES DOWN, DRIBBLES, SHOOOOTS....

The ball is in the air....unfortunately, it'll take 2 weeks to know if Duke SCOOORES!!!

soccerstud2210
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM

props to Oscar the tour guide!!!!

airowe
10-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Heard that. In case you didn't know: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gesticulated

Never heard that word used in a diary before!

kong123
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. The UNC weekend impressed his MOM more than HIM and that was really all about MJ (and I think it's quite obvious and he reiterates this in his new "Slam" mag diary).

HB was NOT the focus of the UNC alumni weekend and was really just a side show while he was sightseeing - but at Duke, HB was most definitely the focus. I think that goes much further.

In a former post, someone said that the most important part of recruiting HB was to win over his mom, so perhaps this isn't a good sign....

airowe
10-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Supa, is that diary only in the magazine or online as well?

airowe
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
In a former post, someone said that the most important part of recruiting HB was to win over his mom, so perhaps this isn't a good sign....

I wouldn't worry too much about that. By all accounts, his Mom loved Duke and the family atmosphere of it.

Greg_Newton
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Oscar the tour guide and [what's-his-name] the tunnel janitor deserve major raises when the fall signing period wraps up...

kong123
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
IMHO, i think he has already made up his mind and is simply going through the motions so that he can visit all of these great colleges. Obviously, he can't go wrong! He has his pick of 4 elite programs.

I think he will end up at Duke. Duke needs him more than UNC does because UNC already has his position occupied for the next few years. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't step right in and start in Chapel Hill, but there is no doubt he would be the man next year in Cameron. For a one and done guy like he appears he could be, I know where I would go.

lpd1982
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
My impression was that Harrison Barnes' mother loved the game. She cheered for our team, clapped, smiled, took photos and video of all the Crazies' antics. She ramped up the camera for the sign that said, "Shirley, Our kids will take good care of your son." Remember that the same people who reported how his mother loved the UNC visit were the same folks who said she didn't like the Crazies. If that were the case I wonder why last year on an unofficial she asked for some of the Crazies to pose with Harrison for a photo?

kong123
10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Its fun to talk about, but the truth will remain- no on really knows what he will do. Both the UNC journal and Duke journal read equally as positive. He loved this, he was impressed by that, he had a great time here. Don't read too much into anything he writes on that blog, he has his poker face on.

cato
10-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately, his diary does raise one serious concern: "So Saturday morning, the day began with a meeting with the Dean of the Law School. That gave me more information about the university and the law aspect of it."

With all that talent, don't even think about law!

juise
10-29-2009, 02:48 PM
My impressions from the diary:

-Harrison seems like a very gracious and grounded young man. We already knew that, but it is so crystal clear in this diary.

-I'm glad to see that they walked him through the M&M certificate. I thought it was interesting that he met with the Law School dean. There's no harm in him knowing about Duke's top-flight program, but it seems a bit early to be talking grad school... unless he's already got his first 4 years at Duke mapped out. ;)

-I thought it was interesting that we showed him Jeff Capel's tape since OU is also recruiting him. I don't know who is would help or hurt or whether it even makes any difference. I just think it's interesting.

SmartDevil
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
If HB is truly concerned about academics and the quality of his undergraduate and potential legal education (and I believe him), I don't see how anyone could possibly compare UNC to Duke and consider them at all even close to equal.

I went to Duke undergrad and then Georgetown Law School, the latter a better law school (and undergrad school) than UNC. Georgetown Law was a JOKE compared to Duke undergrad. Duke undergrad was far more sophisticated and mind-opening and challenging in a positive way than Georgetown Law.

Duke's outstanding reputation for both undergaduate education and the quality of its law school are well deserved.

For someone certain to practice law in NC, no problem with going to UNC or UNC law school....but to open doors EVERYWHERE....and be respected....Duke is on the VERY short list of academic institutions that are elite.

BlueintheFace
10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, his diary does raise one serious concern: "So Saturday morning, the day began with a meeting with the Dean of the Law School. That gave me more information about the university and the law aspect of it."

With all that talent, don't even think about law!

Funny how the best and brightest so frequently find their way to the law ;)

SupaDave
10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Supa, is that diary only in the magazine or online as well?

Slam has been keeping him under wraps so I've had to wait patiently for the magazine and any little tidbits Lang (Whitaker) has to offer...

airowe
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Slam has been keeping him under wraps so I've had to wait patiently for the magazine and any little tidbits Lang (Whitaker) has to offer...

When does it come out? Do you know Lang or is he online?

Mike Corey
10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I think it's great that in addition to meeting four academic leaders on campus, and everyone associated with basketball, that Barnes also was able to meet one of the many Duke alums in the Obama Administration, General Eric Shinseki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Shinseki), the Secretary of Veteran Affairs:

http://www.leadertoleader.org/newsletters/monthly/images/Shinseki.jpg

BD80
10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Its fun to talk about, but the truth will remain- no on really knows what he will do. Both the UNC journal and Duke journal read equally as positive. He loved this, he was impressed by that, he had a great time here. Don't read too much into anything he writes on that blog, he has his poker face on.

I disagree, to my jaundiced eye, it looked like he was referring to an interesting visit at unc

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-unc/#more-1691

but was describing his future home at Duke.

... I was warmly greeted by Coach K ...

... I got to go to class with one of my really good friends Andre Dawkins ... Andre’s good people. ...

... I got a chance to watch Duke practice, and that was a great time to see Coach K interact with the players ... That was really impressive to me.

... That was really good to see what Duke’s about and get a feel for the university.

... it was just great to see more of the academic side and develop closer relationships with the players and spend more time with them.

My impressions from the diary:

... I'm glad to see that they walked him through the M&M certificate. ...

... I thought it was interesting that we showed him Jeff Capel's tape since OU is also recruiting him. I don't know who is would help or hurt or whether it even makes any difference. I just think it's interesting.

What is the M&M certificate?

I think it is a positive thing that we showed him Capel's tape. He thinks of the UNC alum as great players or ex-players. Our guys are more than that. It surprised him that Jeff was such a baller. He also visited Stanford and Johnny D. I would think that weighs heavily in our favor, because it sounds like Harrison thinks of himself as more than just a basketball player.

Bluedog
10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, wow, he really got meet a lot of higher up academic officials on his short visit. Dean of Undergraduate Admissions, Dean of Business School, Dean of Law School, Director of Academics (not really sure who this is or what that means), and the US Secretary of Veteran Affairs! Quite a list! He thinking about a JD/MBA or something? heh. I guess just wants to get a feel for everything.

What is the M&M certificate?

Markets and Management certificate (http://www.markets.duke.edu/). Popular in place of a "business" major. Also very popular among athletes to get. To be blunt, among most Duke undergrads the courses in M&M are considered very easy, especially compared to something like economics, which caters to students with similar interests.

Sounds like he enjoyed his visit. I'm going to be optimistic, and while recruiting certain is an unknown, I like our chances very much! :D

madscavenger
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
"6 AM the day after his team lost in the Iowa state tournament, a Freshman Barnes calls his coach to let him into the gym. His coach tells him it's been a long season, and he should take a week off. It's Spring Break! He tells his coach "You can't win championships by taking weeks off."

A couple weeks ago, a national recruiting journalist goes to interview Barnes in Iowa. He has the guy meet him on his school track. Barnes is there doing a series of wind sprints. It's 5:30 AM and Barnes has been there for a while. Alone. And it's snowing. On a school day nonetheless."

"And he was doing his wind sprints uphill. All the way around the track"

"As I said on another board, I think one thing Duke has going for it is that HB has seen actual games there. He will make his decision without ever having seen an actual game at UNC. I think a kid that is as intelligent and meticulous as HB would want to see actual game preparation as well as game-time atmosphere. I know he went to the UNC Alumni game, but that is an exhibition and celebration. It is a completely different animal than an actual game. Who knows, but that might help Duke in the end."

All of the above point to another big positive for Duke. We are known for the high octane intensity of our practices day in and day out. Its been singled out by many recruits we've landed in the past as something that left a huge impression. Clearly these were players who understood that you have to continually get better to achieve one's goals and what it takes to do so. If he's observed practices, i believe that should have gone a long way toward sealing the deal.

SushiChef
10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
When comparing Barnes' diaries from other schools with his latest entry for Duke, the one thing that sticks out is the subject matter that he focuses on. He really has nothing but good things to say for all of his visits. However, it seems that his writing on other visits focused on more superficial things. For example, in his visit to Kansas he goes on and on about how impressive Bill Self's house is. In his visit to UNC he spends a few paragraphs talking about the museum and seeing the interaction of the pro players at the alumni game. In comparison, his visit to Duke seemed more about building/furthering relationships and finding out more about what Duke had to offer academically. Not to mention his paragraph of praise for the crazies!

MChambers
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
When comparing Barnes' diaries from other schools with his latest entry for Duke, the one thing that sticks out is the subject matter that he focuses on. He really has nothing but good things to say for all of his visits. However, it seems that his writing on other visits focused on more superficial things. For example, in his visit to Kansas he goes on and on about how impressive Bill Self's house is. In his visit to UNC he spends a few paragraphs talking about the museum and seeing the interaction of the pro players at the alumni game. In comparison, his visit to Duke seemed more about building/furthering relationships and finding out more about what Duke had to offer academically. Not to mention his paragraph of praise for the crazies!

Actually, on Self's house, I just remember him describing how big it was and that it was gated. I wasn't sure Barnes was impressed.

MChambers
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Heard that. In case you didn't know: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gesticulated

Never heard that word used in a diary before!

It's a verb, not an adjective. I'm glad to learn that Mr. Barnes isn't perfect.;)

SupaDave
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
When does it come out? Do you know Lang or is he online?

Got my copy in the mail on Monday I think. He's just now talking about the UNC game at this point so by next month he'll probably have a commitment and a bit about Duke in there - hopefully one in the same...

moonpie23
10-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Funny how the best and brightest so frequently find their way to the law ;)

LAWYER, n.
One skilled in circumvention of the law.

from The Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce 1911

SushiChef
10-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Actually, on Self's house, I just remember him describing how big it was and that it was gated. I wasn't sure Barnes was impressed.

He spent several paragraphs talking about it:

So Saturday night I had a chance to go over Coach Self’s house for dinner, and it is by far the greatest house that I’ve ever seen in my life. I think that “MTV Cribs” needs to definitely go over there and shoot his house, because I truly got lost in it a few times. It’s hard to put into words how massive this house is.

When you walk through the gates — yes, there are gates — there’s a pool off to the side and there’s a little gazebo area with a little bar and a TV. Walk into the house and there’s a huge living room with a huge kitchen area. Off to the left is a dining room and then to the left of that is another big living room. Then when you walk downstairs there’s a lounge area with another bar and TV. Then you walk on the other side of the room and there’s another lounge area with a pool table, and then there’s another lounge area with a ton of recliners and another TV. Then if you go straight you’ll walk into a huge movie theatre area. I didn’t even get to see the upstairs.

Needless to say, this house was unbelievable! The food was great too… One of the coaches cooked some real good barbecue. That night the players took me out again. We had a great time just seeing the social atmosphere at KU.

G man
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
And he was doing his wind sprints uphill. All the way around the track.

Yeah, tracks can do that for HB.

Let the Chuck Norris Jokes I mean the HB jokes begin!

ChicagoCrazy84
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
He spent several paragraphs talking about it:

It's Lawrence, Kansas. I am sure property value isn't exactly up to par with value in Chicago or anything. You could probably get a 4-5 bedroom house and a couple thousand square feet for pretty cheap.

rhcpflea99
10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I feel good about Duke chances, HB was wearing a Duke shirt under his jump suit.

chrisheery
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
-I thought it was interesting that we showed him Jeff Capel's tape since OU is also recruiting him. I don't know who is would help or hurt or whether it even makes any difference. I just think it's interesting.

I thought this was a cool move. Shows that Coach K mentored one of the other coaches who is recruiting him and he clearly respects. Its like saying, "If you come to Duke, at a very minimum, you will be successful doing something."

SeattleIrish
10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
The overall sentiment on IC, after reading HB's visit report, is that HB's gonna be a Dukie!

Of course, there's some folks over there who read it differently, but overall it's a big Duke lean.

s.i.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5023889

SupaDave
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
The overall sentiment on IC, after reading HB's visit report, is that HB's gonna be a Dukie!

Of course, there's some folks over there who read it differently, but overall it's a big Duke lean.

s.i.

WOW!!! Excuse me for this non-sequitur but "TrustinRoy" has more than 20,000 posts!!! Is that humanly possible? Oh and some of these guys are truly delusional...

The one theme I love about the program that seems to be playing out in these recruitment sagas? That down "home" feeling... Gotta love it.

dukeballer2294
10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
haha man for looking at IC for the first time ever its hilarious to see the desparity between the 2 sides. It truly is a civil war

SeattleIrish
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
WOW!!! Excuse me for this non-sequitur but "TrustinRoy" has more than 20,000 posts!!! Is that humanly possible? Oh and some of these guys are truly delusional...

Perhaps he's their Jason Evans? ;)

Dukeballer: That topic deserves a thred of it's own. I have pondered that thought for quite a few years; I was on IC for about 7 years before being banned, and have been following Duke sites since way before that. If we could get an honest discussion (i.e., moving beyond "fan") going, and discuss what, if any, difference exists, beyond one's choice of team to support, I think it would be interesting.

I'll try to get one going sometime, if you don't...

s.i.

dukeballer2294
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Perhaps he's their Jason Evans? ;)

Dukeballer: That topic deserves a thred of it's own. I have pondered that thought for quite a few years; I was on IC for about 7 years before being banned, and have been following Duke sites since way before that. If we could get an honest discussion (i.e., moving beyond "fan") going, and discuss what, if any, difference exists, beyond one's choice of team to support, I think it would be interesting.

I'll try to get one going sometime, if you don't...

s.i.

yea man we should get one going. I mean im in high school and was introduced to duke basketball through my dad (an alum) so i guess i dont get the whole feeling of duke-carolina especially living in Socal, but ive been following duke religiously for about 4/5 years now and always take advantage of talking smack to my carolina friends. Its almost kinda like glass half empty or full... they say the same things we do in reverse order (HB can go to the better school or the **** school down the road)

houstondukie
10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Harrison Barnes will be a Dukie. Even though I have no actual evidence (nobody does), I'll bet anything on it. Think about it: Would Harrison Barnes write an entire paragraph thanking the Cameron Crazies in his essay and then two weeks later sign with the hated rivals 8 miles down the road? Imagine how awkward that would be when UNC plays Duke in Cameron. In my mind, he is already a Dukie. Just a matter of time.

Harrison was wowed by UNC's official visit. But if you compare the two essays he wrote, the vibe I get is that he feels more at home at Duke. Duke took an excellent approach to Barnes' official visit. Duke knows they can't match UNC's alumni weekend in terms of excitement (plus he's already been to a Duke-UNC game in Cameron), so they took the approach of selling Duke's family atmosphere, by scheduling the visit duing parent's weekend. Also, Harrison was the only recruit this weekend, with all the attention on him (I believe Irving was asked not to come to Duke this weekend). He visited UNC with a bunch of other recruits. That makes a difference. No doubt he was entertained at UNC. But everyday is not like alumin weekend at UNC, and at Duke this past weekend, he experienced and enjoyed a "normal" day at Duke.

El_Diablo
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Duke took an excellent approach to Barnes' official visit. Duke knows they can't match UNC's alumni weekend in terms of excitement (plus he's already been to a Duke-UNC game in Cameron), so they took the approach of selling Duke's family atmosphere, by scheduling the visit duing parent's weekend.

If one reads any of his books or listened to his former players, this is definitely in line with Coach K's modus operandi. It's not like he said to himself, "Oh darn, we can't match the glitz of UNC's alumni game...let's change it up this time and be close-knit and appeal to the recruit's sense of family instead." I think the theme (Duke as a Family) would be pretty common for ALL Duke official visits, because this is how Coach K runs the program.

It has nothing to do with how Harrison's other visits went. This is simply how Duke basketball operates.

Newton_14
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Harrison Barnes will be a Dukie. Even though I have no actual evidence (nobody does), I'll bet anything on it. Think about it: Would Harrison Barnes write an entire paragraph thanking the Cameron Crazies in his essay and then two weeks later sign with the hated rivals 8 miles down the road? Imagine how awkward that would be when UNC plays Duke in Cameron. In my mind, he is already a Dukie. Just a matter of time.

Harrison was wowed by UNC's official visit. But if you compare the two essays he wrote, the vibe I get is that he feels more at home at Duke. Duke took an excellent approach to Barnes' official visit. Duke knows they can't match UNC's alumni weekend in terms of excitement (plus he's already been to a Duke-UNC game in Cameron), so they took the approach of selling Duke's family atmosphere, by scheduling the visit duing parent's weekend. Also, Harrison was the only recruit this weekend, with all the attention on him (I believe Irving was asked not to come to Duke this weekend). He visited UNC with a bunch of other recruits. That makes a difference. No doubt he was entertained at UNC. But everyday is not like alumin weekend at UNC, and at Duke this past weekend, he experienced and enjoyed a "normal" day at Duke.

I feel the same way. After seeing HB at the open practice, the exhibition game, and then reading the diary, I feel that he is coming. I think Kansas eliminated themselves with the drama between the football and basketball teams, and while unx made the late push, the relationship HB has with K trumped all the heel hoopla.

And one other thing. There are some people that believe unc making such a hard push after getting involved late in the process is more about them wanting to insure Duke does not get him moreso than them getting him. It is possible that has crossed HB's mind and he has factored that into his decision making process. It is an interesting theory and while true or not it would not be absurd to ask oneself that question.

I for one think we will be jumping for joy in a couple of weeks..

ice-9
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM
The diary entry was positive, but it didn't read like a commitment to me.

I skimmed through his previous entries and the only thing I concluded is that Oklahoma's probably not in the running. The tone of his writing seems balanced across UNC, Kansas and Duke. If anything I'd say he was most impressed with the UNC visit in the sense that they exceeded his expectations.

But (and this is just me speculating) the practice and preparation aspects of the Duke visit must have left a mark -- this is after all what he'll be involved in day in and day out over a basketball season.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
"Then we had a team breakfast and following that we had a team shootaround."

This is a quote from Harrison's diary that stuck out for me. A UNC fan on the IC had mentioned it, so I was glad to see I wasn't the only one that took something from it. May not mean much, but you can't say he doesn't feel comfortable around the team when he is already considering himself a part of it. Good stuff.

-jk
10-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?

Kedsy
10-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

So, are you suggesting we avoid getting involved in a land war in Asia?

thewiseben
10-29-2009, 11:45 PM
The tone of his writing seems balanced across UNC, Kansas and Duke. If anything I'd say he was most impressed with the UNC visit in the sense that they exceeded his expectations.

I hope he was only impressed by UNC in that sense; I don't see how a recruiting trip could have lower expectations than one to Chapel Hill, unless Satan is putting together a 'shirts v skins' Rec league in Hell.

Maybe HB expected different things when he planned to visit Chapel Hill than I usually do, but I consider any trip in which Roy Williams, Michael Jordan, and/or Vince Carter do not physically or verbally assault me as a personal victory for the day.

Since I assume none of these things happened, I guess I can understand him being impressed.

Exiled_Devil
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Hadn't we already confirmed him as the Dread Pirate Roberts by then?
And in this analogy, who's the land war in Asia?

Mike Corey
10-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Inconceivable.

ice-9
10-29-2009, 11:49 PM

I think -jk is saying we're Vizzini and he's the Man in Black. :p

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-29-2009, 11:55 PM
And now back to Harrison........

Kedsy
10-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Well, I hope that's not true, because Vizzini dies about 30 seconds later.

-bdbd
10-30-2009, 12:05 AM

s.i.

Thanks Seattle. That was a fun lurk. But boy do I feel "dirty" just having visited the place! I had forgotten how terribly immature/juvenile most of the posters seem over there. I simply can't imagine that poor level of "discourse" at DBR. If I were a UNC-ch fan and I went to that site, I'd just be plain embarrassed. Check out all of the name calling, mindless insults (vs. Duke, our fans, our players, our coaches, etc., etc) and mindless, unquestioning loyalty to ole Roy and program. Not much difference between there and the UK boards. Makes you wonder about these folks' lives outside of Carolina BB... I honestly didn't expect the dialogue to be so absolutely pathetic.

But you were right about the tone as, though not universally, generally being a sort of growing resignation that he may seem to be leaning some towards Duke. If it continues to be like UK, I would love for HB to come to Duke if only to see that board implode with insults and incredulity about someone they were just recently adoring, a la UK with Kyrie's announcement. Just watch. (The DBR reaction - such as I saw with Monroe - would be disappointment/consternation, sure, and some "best wishes," but not that brand of aggressive nastiness I predict at IC). Looking forward to Harrison's announcement - should be entertaining at a minimum. I continue to like the comparisons between Harrison and Shane Battier or Grant Hill. Smart kid.

-BD - "can't imagine being 17 and having all of those grown adults' overwrought 'happiness' riding on my own little personal decision" - BD :eek:

Bluedevil114
10-30-2009, 12:23 AM
I feel very confident after his diary.

The Crazies did an incredible job and glad he saw everything even with the increased security.

Harrison asked if he could not be escorted to his seat and instead go to the baseline to watch them do warm-ups before the game.

He is best friends with Andre and Kyrie.

His relationship with Coach K is as strong as Wall had with "Calimari" so I think we are in great shape with HB.

Bottomline is that we will not know anything for two weeks but we definitely did everything possible to lure him to Cameron. Now the waiting game but I feel better about HB then Boynton, Patterson, Monroe or Wall.

I believe in two weeks we are going to be elated. I also think with Roscoe Smith now on the backburner the Duke staff feel the same way. There is something about the Roscoe story that we do not know yet.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2009, 12:27 AM

I LOVE IT when DBR threads devolve in to Princess Bride quoting affairs. This is like the third one this year!!

BD80
10-30-2009, 12:49 AM
I LOVE IT when DBR threads devolve in to Princess Bride quoting affairs. This is like the third one this year!!

I would add "to the payne," but the Payne went to Michigan State.

JaMarcus Russell
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Some of the IC posters have blown my mind. I learned so many things from a few of their threads. For example:

1) UNC wins the ACC and NCAA championship every year.
2) Most of Coach K's players hate him, but the few that like him only do so because he is a master manipulator, and he is able to convince the same players who hate him to lie to recruits about the program. Almost none of them are associated with the Duke program after graduation though. Somehow he has been able to pull this off for three decades
3) If a player goes to UNC, he will have the time of his life, win championships, and become a successful NBA All-Star. If the same player goes to Duke, he will be miserable and have greatly decreased his shot at the NBA.
4) Referring to Duke as Puke or "Do*k (nice auto-edit, guys)" and repeating the same floor-slapping jokes is always funny. It doesn't wear off even in a little after 10 years and 1,500 mentions.
5) Coach K will physically prevent any player besides Luol Deng from declaring for the draft after one year. I suppose he will hire armed guards who will then block the paperwork of Barnes, Irving, or any other freshman from reaching the NBA front office
6) If the NCAA is consistent and if Duke picks up a secondary violation while hosting a recruit, they should either lose the ability to sign that recruit or go on probation and lose scholarships. That's what happens everywhere else.

Very interesting perspective. Of course, that only applies to about a quarter of their posters. The rest seem fairly reasonable.

DukeSean
10-30-2009, 02:14 AM
Some of the IC posters have blown my mind.

Not sure why you're that surprised. They're carolina fans, even if they don't represent the majority.

ice-9
10-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Well, I hope that's not true, because Vizzini dies about 30 seconds later.

The same could happen to us on this message board with all our vapid speculating. Zap! Poisoned by our own excessive cleverness.

cato
10-30-2009, 02:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if, through his years at DBR, -jk has developed a resistance to the message board equivalent of Iocane Powder.

_Gary
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if, through his years at DBR, -jk has developed a resistance to the message board equivalent of Iocane Powder.

That would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable.

soccerstud2210
10-30-2009, 10:11 AM

s.i.

I don't think so. i think there are a few nervous heel fans, but over all i think the consensus is that Barnes is smart and will choose to win rather than be family.

and apparently good old TRUSTINROY has some PREMIUM info that he can't share but has TDD premium site shaking in our boots!

take it with a grain of salt though, as said before, this guy has over 20k posts... how is that even possible?

airowe
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
and apparently good old TRUSTINROY has some PREMIUM info that he can't share but has TDD premium site shaking in our boots!

This is laughable, at best. Don't worry about what tir says. Its complete hogwash.

JasonEvans
10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I think it's great that in addition to meeting four academic leaders on campus, and everyone associated with basketball, that Barnes also was able to meet one of the many Duke alums in the Obama Administration, General Eric Shinseki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Shinseki), the Secretary of Veteran Affairs:

http://www.leadertoleader.org/newsletters/monthly/images/Shinseki.jpg

Reggie needs to arrange a phone call to HB from Shinseki's boss ;)

--Jason "I actually think meeting Reggie on a recruiting trip would be really impressive too" Evans

jesus_hurley
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
This is laughable, at best. Don't worry about what tir says. Its complete hogwash.

Right - his info is one of three things:

Harrison Barnes called Roy from the bathroom
Mrs. Barnes called Roy
Mrs. Barnes called Self

If you are able to get through the thread, other posters with access to the same information as TIR are much more reasonable with their expectations. And I would bet a lot of his 20000 posts are '+1' and 'lol'. He sees everything through:
http://img.thefind.com/images/UwDryo6Wm8YwjcFVmpmhuCC_qKQ4PjEvJT6_tCQlP7-omCGjpKTASl_fyMBSz9BCz9xCz9BQPzM3vVjfNcLAEEzo-vkHGRgYe8dX5OhlFaQzMAAA?m=1&g=1

JasonEvans
10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
That would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable.

My name is Kyle Singler, you committed to Carolina... prepare to die!

I can't believe that no one has thought to make Fezzik-style rhyming couplets out of the name Harrison Barnes.

--Jason "I know Coldplay is not badass, but Princess Bride is badass... right? Please!!?!!?" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Both Coldplay and Princess Bride are not "badass". I would have to say that they are both "kickass.".

And yes, there is a huge difference.

Class of '94
10-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum; and I am excited about the opportunity to talk Duke and Duke basketball with all of you.

I have to admit that I've allowed myself to get swept into all of the recruiting talk about Kyrie and HB; and I came away really excited about our chances with HB after reading his diary about his visit to Duke; but I'm a little perplexed about some of the Carolina comments from the IC board. It just continues to amaze me about the level of arrogance and crudeness of some of those folks.

I'd love to get more feedback from any of you about TIR's comments that he knows something; and that Coach K's relationhip with Harrision is not as strong as people think. Do any of you think that there's some merit to a supposed phone call to HB by Self over this past weekend; or that someone from the Barnes family was in contact with Roy and Carolina during or shortly after the OV to Duke?

I don't want to be the next poster to bring up conspiracy theories because no one really knows what HB is going to do until he declares; but I found some of TIR's inferences and vague references to this "premium" information disturbing.

Either way, I am proud of our school, the coaching staff and students for the way they treated the Barnes family; and even if we don't get Harrison, I feel good in knowing we gave it our best shot and that no one is to blame if ws don't get him. Saying that, I think we are going to get him (in my opinion),

airowe
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum; and I am excited about the opportunity to talk Duke and Duke basketball with all of you.

I have to admit that I've allowed myself to get swept into all of the recruiting talk about Kyrie and HB; and I came away really excited about our chances with HB after reading his diary about his visit to Duke; but I'm a little perplexed about some of the Carolina comments from the IC board. It just continues to amaze me about the level of arrogance and crudeness of some of those folks.

I'd love to get more feedback from any of you about TIR's comments that he knows something; and that Coach K's relationhip with Harrision is not as strong as people think. Do any of you think that there's some merit to a supposed phone call to HB by Self over this past weekend; or that someone from the Barnes family was in contact with Roy and Carolina during or shortly after the OV to Duke?

I don't want to be the next poster to bring up conspiracy theories because no one really knows what HB is going to do until he declares; but I found some of TIR's inferences and vague references to this "premium" information disturbing.

Again, what tir is touting as "news" is not even worth retyping. Think logically about where you get your news from on stuff outside of the recruiting world. Hearsay is hearsay. News is news. The only news worth worrying about with Barnes is his next diary after he visits UCLA. Then, the diary after he visits Iowa State (if there is one) and then the announcement of his college choice during the early signing period November 11th-15th(?). Many are speculating it will be Nov. 12th because it is a Thursday and the Recruiting Insider show is on ESPNU. The kid is not talking to anyone before then.

Consider the source.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2009, 01:15 PM

I can't believe that no one has thought to make Fezzik-style rhyming couplets out of the name Harrison Barnes.

--Jason "I know Coldplay is not badass, but Princess Bride is badass... right? Please!!?!!?" Evans

BARNES, isn't he from that place with all those FARMS?

jesus_hurley
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM

As long as we don't resort to this (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=4777525)....

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
As long as we don't resort to this (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=4777525)....

hahhahahahhahahhahahhahhahaha!!!! I thought that was amazingly creative - and not overly insulting that it was ignorant. I don't do this much, but I'll take my hat off to them. God I love this rivalry!!!!

Duvall
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Too late.

UNC concrete
versus blooming Duke Gardens.
No comparison.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
LMAO! Those are ridiculously bad.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Only one way for K and Roy to settle the Harrison Barnes recruitment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkBuKQEkio&feature=related

I like our chances

JasonEvans
10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Hate to get us back to something of actual substance (though it is not much), but...

Seth Davis tweeted (http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops)the following yesterday evening--

@SethDavisHoops: seth, where do you see Harrison Barnes going?
@JeffVT03: Duke has slight lead over NC, Kansas a clear 3rd

--Jason "no crow-eating talk, but at least we have a lead ;) " Evans

ivduke
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
This was on the ESPN recruiting chat minutes ago....

Hey, thanks for chatting. Where do you see Harrison Barnes winding up?

Reggie Rankin (2:19 PM)

Hey Eddie, Barnes could end up at UNC because of their recent success, the players on the team. He is also versatile fit and he's been on campus. Coach Williams has really locked into him and I would be surprised if he doesn't land there. However, you can't eliminate Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Iowa State, Syracuse or Oklahoma.

Azdukefan
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Hey Eddie, Barnes could end up at UNC because of their recent success, the players on the team. He is also versatile fit and he's been on campus. Coach Williams has really locked into him and I would be surprised if he doesn't land there. However, you can't eliminate Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Iowa State, Syracuse or Oklahoma.

I refuse to believe it! We have been involved with Harrison for quite some time now. A fly by night attempt/attack to lure him won't work. He is too smart for that!:D

NSDukeFan
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Hate to get us back to something of actual substance (though it is not much), but...

Seth Davis tweeted (http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops)the following yesterday evening--

--Jason "no crow-eating talk, but at least we have a lead ;) " Evans

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=324528&postcount=1251

Thank goodness we have the lead, we must have made up a lot of ground during his visit:p I wonder if UCLA is in fourth and how much ground they will make up this weekend.

jesus_hurley
10-30-2009, 02:56 PM

I think it may be safe to eliminate Syracuse. Credibility meter falling....

NSDukeFan
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Unless there is something going on which I am not aware of (actually there is tons going on that I am not aware of), I feel pretty safe eliminating Syracuse, unless they have made up a lot of ground lately, since they have not had an official visit from Harrison and won't and I haven't heard them mentioned in his recruitment.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I refuse to believe it! We have been involved with Harrison for quite some time now. A fly by night attempt/attack to lure him won't work. He is too smart for that!:D

one minute we talk about how these kids are only 17 and don't know that much or are still learning and could be easily tricked. Next we say they're too smart for that.

Oriole Way
10-30-2009, 03:07 PM

This sounds like someone who hasn't been following Barnes' recruitment closely and who is giving a safe answer to cover all his bases.

Syracuse is not in it for Barnes, which immediately leads me to dismiss his entire breakdown and opinion. If anything, the players at Duke - Irving, Dawkins, Thornton, Smith, Hairston - would be a much bigger reason Barnes picks Duke than UNC's players would be for a reason for him choosing UNC.

Indoor66
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I have come to the conclusion that we on these boards think more about where these kids are going to school than they do. ;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-30-2009, 03:10 PM
i have come to the conclusion that we on these boards think more about where these kids are going to school than they do. ;)

bingo

Duvall
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
something of actual substance ...

Seth Davis

I'm confused.

NSDukeFan
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm confused.

You should have to apologize to Seth for that comment.

Indoor66
10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
You should have to apologize to Seth for that comment.

No, you shouldn't. You would confuse Seth.

RelativeWays
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Some of the IC posters have blown my mind. I learned so many things from a few of their threads. For example:

1) UNC wins the ACC and NCAA championship every year.
2) Most of Coach K's players hate him, but the few that like him only do so because he is a master manipulator, and he is able to convince the same players who hate him to lie to recruits about the program. Almost none of them are associated with the Duke program after graduation though. Somehow he has been able to pull this off for three decades
3) If a player goes to UNC, he will have the time of his life, win championships, and become a successful NBA All-Star. If the same player goes to Duke, he will be miserable and have greatly decreased his shot at the NBA.
4) Referring to Duke as Puke or "Do*k (nice auto-edit, guys)" and repeating the same floor-slapping jokes is always funny. It doesn't wear off even in a little after 10 years and 1,500 mentions.
5) Coach K will physically prevent any player besides Luol Deng from declaring for the draft after one year. I suppose he will hire armed guards who will then block the paperwork of Barnes, Irving, or any other freshman from reaching the NBA front office
6) If the NCAA is consistent and if Duke picks up a secondary violation while hosting a recruit, they should either lose the ability to sign that recruit or go on probation and lose scholarships. That's what happens everywhere else.

Very interesting perspective. Of course, that only applies to about a quarter of their posters. The rest seem fairly reasonable.

You could have summed it up by simply stating tht IC posters are stupid and delusional and are walking examples of cognative dissonance. My favorite IC Duke criticism is whenever Huckleberry Hound drops some quote about basketball, coke or ice cream sandwiches, they lap it up and praise him as if he was some diety, then close their little Roy doxology by saying "unlike coach rat, who has just a bunch of sycophants and hangers-on who believe whatever he says". The irony and hypocrisy is completely lost on them

ChicagoCrazy84
10-30-2009, 06:37 PM

This guy knows nothing. He might as well have said "I am not sure. We'll find out soon enough." He says he COULD end up at UNC then says don't count out KU, Duke, and basically every other school that Harrison has EVER mentioned. Real insightful!

Kedsy
10-30-2009, 10:53 PM
This guy knows nothing. He might as well have said "I am not sure. We'll find out soon enough." He says he COULD end up at UNC then says don't count out KU, Duke, and basically every other school that Harrison has EVER mentioned. Real insightful!

Well, what's worst IMO is one of his most compelling "reasons" for his opinion is that HB has "been on campus" at UNC. After the UCLA visit, which of his final 6 schools will he have not been on campus? Anyone can say anything at this point.

Newton_14
10-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Another encouraging opinion in the link below. Sorry if someone has linked this already but I did not see it in this thread yet. Enjoy!

http://nationalhoopsreport.blogspot.com/2009/10/12-12-where-are-they-going.html

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I liked that article for reason very clear, but how creditable is the reporter.

ice-9
10-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Guys, just remember Patterson, Monroe and Boynton. Plenty of "recruitniks" predicted Duke and we all know how that turned out.

We'll see what happens come mid-November.

oldnavy
10-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Another encouraging opinion in the link below. Sorry if someone has linked this already but I did not see it in this thread yet. Enjoy!

http://nationalhoopsreport.blogspot.com/2009/10/12-12-where-are-they-going.html

He also has KI listed as number 13 in the class of 2010 which makes me wonder if he knows what he is talking about...

Devilsfan
10-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Many Duke hatters love to say it's Duke's recruit to lose hoping to make us look bad if the recruit chooses elsewhere. Duke is Duke and has the finest of everything to offer. Plus there are currently 14 former players now in the NBA. Go Devils!

Bluedevil99
10-31-2009, 09:05 AM
I love how they(some members of the media) say that whenever a recruit chooses another school over us, they say that "Duke lost another one" or "Coack K has lost his recruiting touch". So many other big-time programs lost out on those recruits as well. It wasn't just us and UK recruiting Patterson and Wall, or just us and Florida going after Boynton. They always seem to mention that "we" lost a recruit. Them Duke-haters...

Bluedevil99
10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
i just realized that i was quoting just about EVERY kentucky fan there.....sorry...

Well said. Has anyone seen the verbal attacks that we get from UK fans just b/c we are Duke. They hate on us on many of their fan posts on our uniforms, the color of our players, their families, our sexuality, and Coach K to just name a few. One fan even tried to tie Ryan Kelly to the whole John Wall taking money from his AAU coach deal. It doesn't make much sense. It's not like we are bitter rivals. I don't think we have played them sense 1998. We don't play in the same conferance. Our schools are not even geographically close. Could it be that they are still sore about that regional final...17 YEARS AGO? Hmmmm...

chrisheery
10-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Well, I'm till mad that they beat us in 1998 and then went on to win the national championship. I think we were up 18 at one point in that game . . .

Oh, and I think we played them either 2002 or 2003 when coach K removed all the starters at one point just to light a fire under them because they weren't playing with any heart. Do I have that right? I know Jason Williams was on the team I am thinking of, and I think it was Kentucky.

Devil's Advocate
10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm till mad that they beat us in 1998 and then went on to win the national championship. I think we were up 18 at one point in that game . . .

Oh, and I think we played them either 2002 or 2003 when coach K removed all the starters at one point just to light a fire under them because they weren't playing with any heart. Do I have that right? I know Jason Williams was on the team I am thinking of, and I think it was Kentucky.

You're definitely right about that. I recall their point guard (Turner?) breaking down our defense repeatedly and then getting the assist or the foul. We couldn't stop him. It was a sad event to watch over spring break. But, that move when K pulled out all the starters a few years later was a thing of beauty. I believe we won that game.

striker219
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know how new this is, or if it had already been posted, but at least it will get us back on track.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/282536-what-harrison-barnes-decision-means-for-duke-either-way

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't know how new this is, or if it had already been posted, but at least it will get us back on track.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/282536-what-harrison-barnes-decision-means-for-duke-either-way

This is the best article I have ever read on bleacher report. By far. Well thougt out, well informed, and very thorough. Covers all the major points with an even hand. Well done Bleacher Report. Keep this up and I will have to take back all the things I have said about you on the past.

Greg_Newton
11-01-2009, 08:54 PM
This is the best article I have ever read on bleacher report. By far. Well thougt out, well informed, and very thorough. Covers all the major points with an even hand. Well done Bleacher Report. Keep this up and I will have to take back all the things I have said about you on the past.

Haha please don't do this, you are the author of my favorite post ever Re: Bleacher Report:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=309982#post309982

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Haha please don't do this, you are the author of my favorite post ever Re: Bleacher Report:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=309982#post309982

I know, it took a lot for me to say what I said, but it is a well written article.

rotogod00
11-01-2009, 09:04 PM

absolutely agree that "in terms of getting Duke back to the Final Four, Irving is more key than Barnes". but also agree that inking barnes is more important to the future of the program than getting irving was.

05/18/2005
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I know, it took a lot for me to say what I said, but it is a well written article.

Yea. That was for sure one of their best articles i have read. Thats not to say though that they are always all that good.

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Yea. That was for sure one of their best articles i have read. Thats not to say though that they are always all that good.

Click on the link Greg_Newton posted to see what I think of Bleacher Report. I think you will realize why I am even bringing it up.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about his visit with UCLA? I haven't heard a thing. I talked to a friend yesterday who is a grad student there and not surprisingly, didn't know anything about it. Just curious.

Blueequalslife23
11-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I haven't seen it reported on here yet but ... Harrison Barnes to announce his college decision Thursday November 12th 5:30 ESPNU any thoughts? Predictions?

jimsumner
11-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Predictions?

A lot of people will be watching ESPNU at 5:30 on 11-12. :)

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Predictions?

A lot of people will be watching ESPNU at 5:30 on 11-12. :)

Another prediction -

We will be choosing between Duke, UNC, UCLA, Oklahoma, and KU. ;)

Has a recruit with this high a profile ever kept his cards this close to his chest?

_Gary
11-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Very even-handed and accurate article all the way around, IMHO. The Barnes situation is a real double-edged sword in the sense that while we will still be very good even if we don't get him, we'll probably be favorites if he does choose Duke (barring unforeseen injuries/early departures). But I have to be brutally honest and say that if he choose UNC over us it's going to be another huge, huge blow. We've given our all to this young man and had him on our radar for several years now and if the Holes come in late in the game and snatch him up it's gonna hurt really bad. There, I said it. Hope no one hates me for it. I just believe in telling the truth. And that is the truth, whether others want to acknowledge it or not.

The other side to the sword is that if we do get him, I think it hurts UNC in that we've won a significant recruiting battle with them over a top-tier recruit we want badly, and no matter how loaded they think they'll be next year, I think we'll be better. He's the key, IMHO, as to which program has the edge in 2010/2011.

Kedsy
11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Has a recruit with this high a profile ever kept his cards this close to his chest?

Hasn't Ralph Sampson's announcement already been discussed on this thread? Lots of recruits keep things close to the vest.

BD80
11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Did he visit UCLA this past weekend?

There is absolutely no buzz about the visit. Nothing coming up on internet or Twitter searches.

airowe
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Did he visit UCLA this past weekend?

There is absolutely no buzz about the visit. Nothing coming up on internet or Twitter searches.

Yes, he visited. His diary will come out sometime this week, probably on Thursday as they have in the past.

Watch highschoolhoop.com for it later this week.

obsesseddukefan
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hello everyone, with the way we recieved the Irving commitment the day of his announcement with the apparent "leak", does anyone here think that it will be the same situation? I realize that the media have jobs to do as far as releasing info to break the story, but I have to say it took a little away from me when we knew Irving was going to commit before the scheduled time. I for one like the suspense that comes with not knowing the decision. Thoughts??

bludvl9 :D

BlueintheFace
11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone, with the way we recieved the Irving commitment the day of his announcement with the apparent "leak", does anyone here think that it will be the same situation? I realize that the media have jobs to do as far as releasing info to break the story, but I have to say it took a little away from me when we knew Irving was going to commit before the scheduled time. I for one like the suspense that comes with not knowing the decision. Thoughts??

Nobody will know until the words come out of his mouth.

MChambers
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Barnes has been much more controlled about his decision. Of course, he'll probably tell the other teams the night before his announcement. If he does, there is likely to be a leak. If he wanted to control the leaks, he'd call after school and before the ESPNU show.

obsesseddukefan
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
what are the chances of landing Barnes..realistically? As of now we are in the top 5 class for next year, if we land Barnes, does this make us # 1??

Bluedevil99
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything else on Roscoe Smith? I know he said he has already decided but wants to wait and see where other recruits go (according to Zags blog). I can't help but wonder if K and his staff could have recruited him harder. Let' s look at worse case scenario. What if Barnes chooses another school? Do you think Smith might want to come to Duke if has already decided on another school or is he wanting to pull a Kyrie Irving and draw out suspense? Any thoughts?

CMS2478
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I don' think we are going need Roscoe's services.....

Tim1515
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
what are the chances of landing Barnes..realistically? As of now we are in the top 5 class for next year, if we land Barnes, does this make us # 1??

probably 50%

I would think it would make us #2 behind OSU on the day Barnes commits...although there is plenty of time for someone to pass us.

Kedsy
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
what are the chances of landing Barnes..realistically?

The realistically calculated probability is in the precise range between 39.677% and 62.408%. Seriously, what kind of answer are you expecting to this question? Do you think anybody outside the Barnes family and possibly the various coaching staffs concerned actually knows the answer? Or, put another way, do you think there's anybody who has any actual knowledge on this subject who would respond to you on a public message board?

As of now we are in the top 5 class for next year, if we land Barnes, does this make us # 1??

Presumably, it would depend on who you asked. But, honestly, would there be any practical consequence, of any kind, anywhere in the world, that would be different if Duke's 2010 recruiting class is rated #1, #2, or #5? Even a tiny difference?

juise
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I don' think we are going need Roscoe's services.....

If Duke land Barnes and he's as good as we think he is (first half of the lottery), I don't know who fills the taller wing spot ("3") in 2011-2012. Kyle will be gone, Harrison (if we are fortunate enough to get him) may be gone... maybe Dawkins grows a little?

I'm just saying that we may "need" Smith at some point... even if it's not during his freshman season.

CMS2478
11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
If Duke land Barnes and he's as good as we think he is (first half of the lottery), I don't know who fills the taller wing spot ("3") in 2011-2012. Kyle will be gone, Harrison (if we are fortunate enough to get him) may be gone... maybe Dawkins grows a little?

I'm just saying that we may "need" Smith at some point... even if it's not during his freshman season.

I was referring to the point that I think we are wanting Barnes OR Smith, not both. If Barnes committs, Smith goes elsewhere......hence the statement " I don't think we will be needing Roscoe's services." ;)

BD80
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
If Duke land Barnes and he's as good as we think he is (first half of the lottery), I don't know who fills the taller wing spot ("3") in 2011-2012. ...

Olek

Blueequalslife23
11-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Ok Everyone is projecting Harrison as a starter when he's a freshman.... This is just speculation. But if Harrison doesn't come to DUKE then do we see Roscoe starting? ( Please control yourself from saying "Don't worry Harrison will be at DUKE") this question is just simply to see where everyone thinks Roscoes skills are at.

dgoore97
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Presumably, it would depend on who you asked. But, honestly, would there be any practical consequence, of any kind, anywhere in the world, that would be different if Duke's 2010 recruiting class is rated #1, #2, or #5? Even a tiny difference?

Having the number 1 class might make a difference for "hype purposes" and I could see it affecting recruits decisions positively or negatively. But I get your point and agree the debating it is mostly pointless.

Bluedevil99
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok Everyone is projecting Harrison as a starter when he's a freshman.... This is just speculation. But if Harrison doesn't come to DUKE then do we see Roscoe starting? ( Please control yourself from saying "Don't worry Harrison will be at DUKE") this question is just simply to see where everyone thinks Roscoes skills are at.

From what I read in the scouting reports Roscoe can be a solid wing player in K's system. He can shoot the 3 good enough to keep defenses honest and he rebound well for a guy his size (6'7 or 6'8). He's not as versatile as Barnes is but is nonetheless a good player. I would personally love to have one if not both players. Hopefully we land Barnes (I think we will) but if not, Smith will do just fine.

Kedsy
11-02-2009, 04:12 PM

I haven't seen him play, but the RSCI has Roscoe Smith ranked as the #28 prospect for 2010. By comparison, Josh Hairston is ranked #27. Assuming the rankings are accurate, and neither Roscoe nor Josh are significantly better than advertised, it doesn't seem likely either would start, although assuming they aren't significantly worse than advertised, I'd expect both of them to be in the rotation. In other words, I wouldn't really see Roscoe as a replacement for Harrison.

I haven't seen Josh Hairston play either. For those who have, I know he's listed as a power forward while Roscoe and Harrison are listed as wings, but I was under the impression that Josh is also more winglike than he is a down-low banger. Is this incorrect?

mo.st.dukie
11-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quincy Miller? Or another 2011 recruit?

Duke did pretty good with a 6'4 player at the wing spot the last few years and there's really no reason to think that Andre can't do the same especially with his athleticism. Ryan may be another possibility. But the 1 and 2 spots should be well covered with Irving, Curry, Thornton, Beal/Rivers so that would certainly allow Andre to move to the 3.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I haven't seen Josh Hairston play either. For those who have, I know he's listed as a power forward while Roscoe and Harrison are listed as wings, but I was under the impression that Josh is also more winglike than he is a down-low banger. Is this incorrect?

Most top ranked HS players have videos posted somewhere, often on youtube. If you want to catch some action or interviews, just Google "[name of player] video" and watch what comes up. There is a lot of good Josh Hairston stuff up, including a lot of AAU ball with his team-mate Tyler Thornton.

As to "winglike" vs. "down-low banger," that often depends on team needs, even in high school. And as kids continue to develop physically, their game also often changes. You can't teach height, but a good program can add lean muscle and teach position-specific skills. So a 6-8 guy can start as a wing and move to PF in college or vice versa.

SeattleIrish
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Kedsy is correct about anyone who knows won't/shouldn't be posting about it. However, I would say a "RSCI"-type response would indicate it's between Duke and UNC, with Duke having a slight/moderate lead. Of course, he could go elsewhere, but almost every article I've read has him a Duke lean and it coming down to a two-horse race (one has him going to Duke with Oklahoma as a 2nd choice). Based on the composite of what has been printed about his recruitment, I'll put him at 65% Duke.

I've read some recruiting sites that say we'll be #2 if we land Barnes. I believe OSU (?) will still be #1, but a lot of that is based on the number of recruits, rather than the perceived quality. I know I'll have us ranked #1 regardless ;-)

Roscoe Smith? I've seen some speculate that he's MORE likely to come to Duke if HB comes, but I have a hard time seeing how that's likely. But, Kentucky nailed a couple great PGs in one class, so it can be done. Certainly the coaching staff could have made Roscoe their number one priority and passed on HB, which would have been "going harder" for him, but I don't think anyone is advocating that. Seems like the coaching staff has done a tremendous job recruiting RS - it's got to be very difficult to recruit someone when it's been made clear another player at that position is the #1 priority; I'm not sure how anyone does that well, but if we're still in the running, our staff must have pulled it off.

s.i.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I have no idea what is going on with Roscoe Smith. I would like to think that he is going to commit with Duke if Harrison decides to go elsewhere, but I don't know if the staff has kept in touch with him throughout. It would be nice if Coach James has that job of keeping in touch with him and just keeping him in the loop.

With Harrison though, I am pretty sure that we have the upper hand on everyone else in the race. We have been recruiting the kid since day one almost and I would like to think that means a great deal to him. He has a great relationship already with Dre and KI, and I believe Coach James and Carrawell as well. He has seen campus numerous times and probably has a great feel for it and feels comfortable around here.

I can't see Roscoe coming to Duke if Harrison does, it doesn't make a lot of sense to him or the team. There would be no room because we would most likely have Curry, Dawkins, and/or Olek coming off the bench to spell Harrison.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
As Watzone said a couple days ago another Duke prospect from the 2010 class would be offered very soon. Well today scout.com is reporting that we have offered Harrison Barnes a 6'6 SF from Iowa.

February of 2008 we offered Harrison. Not sure when North Carolina offered him, but come on. After such a long time, you can't throw Duke out in the cold, can you HB? I can only hope. Come on Nov. 12!!

Indoor66
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Come on Nov. 12!!

Don't EVER wish your life away. ;)

obsesseddukefan
11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
The realistically calculated probability is in the precise range between 39.677% and 62.408%. Seriously, what kind of answer are you expecting to this question? Do you think anybody outside the Barnes family and possibly the various coaching staffs concerned actually knows the answer? Or, put another way, do you think there's anybody who has any actual knowledge on this subject who would respond to you on a public message board?

Well the answer I am looking for is a simple response to have a discussion on a message board that I enjoy being a part of. It's these bullI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. remarks that make me just want to read and keep my opinions to myself. What I am looking for is just something to have a discussion about plain and simple.

Again, it isnt a matter of consequences of any matter, it is just seeing what us common folk think of being #5 or possibly #1. Which in my common folk opinion is the fact that if we are in the top 5 recruiting, then I think that our recruting classes in the upcoming years will remain at that level. But it's just my common folk opinion.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I can't see Roscoe coming to Duke if Harrison does, it doesn't make a lot of sense to him or the team. There would be no room because we would most likely have Curry, Dawkins, and/or Olek coming off the bench to spell Harrison.

That's true if Roscoe Smith were thinking only about his freshman year. But if you assume that HB is one-and-done (which is not necessarily a lock), that leaves Roscoe Smith a year to play a more traditional freshman role and then explode in his sophomore year. Unlike HB, RS isn't being slobbered on by NBA scouts, so he might have a 4 year idea. And in that case, winning a national championship as a freshman with lots of TV face time, then possibly being a 3-year starter (with yet more TV face time) would be pretty sweet.

Oh, and he'd get a good education too. We often forget that elite players can highly value that in their decision making.

Kedsy
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Most top ranked HS players have videos posted somewhere, often on youtube. If you want to catch some action or interviews, just Google "[name of player] video" and watch what comes up. There is a lot of good Josh Hairston stuff up, including a lot of AAU ball with his team-mate Tyler Thornton.

I've seen several Hairston videos, from last season, but those YouTube videos can be misleading; they don't show the whole picture. My understanding was he was much taller than most of his opponents at the school he played at last year, so the videos especially don't tell me what I want to know. I've read he likes to shoot from outside and likes to handle the ball from the wing. I've also read he's a good passer from the post.

I was asking if anyone had seen him in person because I have found when you see someone in person it's easier to form an opinion about how that person plays and how he might progress. He looks tall and skinny in his photographs, sort of like Roscoe Smith, heightwise and bodywise, which is why I was asking about wing vs. banger.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm talking about JH

I haven't seen him in person but i too have seen him play on youtube and i've seen the documentary about his aau team. IMO he looks buff not skinny and he plays post really well, great defense and has a good jumper. But like you said it can be misleading since they only show the HIGHLIGHTS.

verga
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
he (Hairston) runs the court very well, he has a good mid-range shot. He is on the thin side but he will buff up in college. He's a good weak side defender and the times i saw him, he finished well. He is not the second coming of anyone but i believe we Duke fans will be very satisfied with Josh. I see him more as a 4 trying to improve his 3 skills. jmo

Kedsy
11-03-2009, 12:02 AM
he (Hairston) runs the court very well, he has a good mid-range shot. He is on the thin side but he will buff up in college. He's a good weak side defender and the times i saw him, he finished well. He is not the second coming of anyone but i believe we Duke fans will be very satisfied with Josh. I see him more as a 4 trying to improve his 3 skills. jmo

Thanks. Personally, I believe we need more of a 4 than a 3, so this is good.

Greg_Newton
11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks. Personally, I believe we need more of a 4 than a 3, so this is good.

Yeah I get the impression he might be the most prototypical "4" we've had in a while. He's very skilled and was very wiry earlier in his HS career, which I think is why people have more of a finesse-forward impression of him... however, supposedly he's been packing on some muscle recently, and he's got a great frame... I bet he'll be pretty solid by the time he gets here. Somewhere between Lance Thomas and Elton Brand on the banger scale?:)

airowe
11-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah I get the impression he might be the most prototypical "4" we've had in a while. He's very skilled and was very wiry earlier in his HS career, which I think is why people have more of a finesse-forward impression of him... however, supposedly he's been packing on some muscle recently, and he's got a great frame... I bet he'll be pretty solid by the time he gets here. Somewhere between Lance Thomas and Elton Brand on the banger scale?:)

That's a pretty safe bet ;).

Josh has transferred to Montrose Christian for his SR. Year and has already put on 10-15 lbs of muscle. He'll benefit from playing against better competition. I predict big things from Josh at Duke, but I don't expect him to get a lot of PT his Freshman year because I believe the guy who's ear Josh, Kyrie, and Andre have been in will be playing at Duke for at least his Freshman Year. Any guesses as to who that might be? His name is at the top of this thread. This is just a guess, a gut feeling if you will. 9 days left guys.

What's even better, Barnes, Irving, Thornton, Hairston could all sign their LOIs within the next 14 days.

Duke Football has a strong chance to go bowling and its the beginning of November.

There's an exhibition Bball game tomorrow night in Cameron.

The season tips off in under two weeks.

Its a great time to be a Duke fan.

budwom
11-03-2009, 08:49 AM
That's true if Roscoe Smith were thinking only about his freshman year. But if you assume that HB is one-and-done (which is not necessarily a lock), that leaves Roscoe Smith a year to play a more traditional freshman role and then explode in his sophomore year. Unlike HB, RS isn't being slobbered on by NBA scouts, so he might have a 4 year idea. And in that case, winning a national championship as a freshman with lots of TV face time, then possibly being a 3-year starter (with yet more TV face time) would be pretty sweet.

Oh, and he'd get a good education too. We often forget that elite players can highly value that in their decision making.

You will not see Roscoe in Durham if Barnes comes.

whereinthehellami
11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I was asking if anyone had seen him in person because I have found when you see someone in person it's easier to form an opinion about how that person plays and how he might progress. He looks tall and skinny in his photographs, sort of like Roscoe Smith, heightwise and bodywise, which is why I was asking about wing vs. banger.

I saw Josh Hairston play twice last year and also watched him win the state tourney on TV. First off the competition was terrible. Second, while Josh had the most talent, I wouldn't say that he was the best on the team. They had a forward who was 6-5ish, who Josh defferred to.

My scouting report on Josh would be as follows. Skinny but well built. Long and agile. But not fast or quick. Runs well and gives good effort. High bball IQ but defers too much. Comfortable inside or out. Good footwork down low but shys away from contact opting for "off the glass" shots instead of dunks. Okay ball handling (not ACC quality though), mediocre first step. Nice looking shot, good elevation and form. A good FT shooter. Gives good effort on D especially when guarding on the perimeter. A passive shot blocker and rebounder. Should have owned the paint VS quality of competition. A good kid. All smiles before and after the game. Shakes everyone's hands. A team guy and a winner. Montrose is a really good move for him. If he does really well there and is there best player or co-best player than I think Josh might see some PT his first year at Duke. If he defers too much at Montrose than he could be more along the lines of a Beard or Chappell type Duke player (role player).

SilkyJ
11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I bet he'll be pretty solid by the time he gets here. Somewhere between Lance Thomas and Elton Brand on the banger scale?:)

well thats a pretty wide gap. the good news is he has a better face up game than either at this point (or at least than elton was able to display in college)

soccerstud2210
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
That's a pretty safe bet ;).

Josh has transferred to Montrose Christian for his SR. Year and has already put on 10-15 lbs of muscle. He'll benefit from playing against better competition. I predict big things from Josh at Duke, but I don't expect him to get a lot of PT his Freshman year because I believe the guy who's ear Josh, Kyrie, and Andre have been in will be playing at Duke for at least his Freshman Year. Any guesses as to who that might be? His name is at the top of this thread. This is just a guess, a gut feeling if you will. 9 days left guys.

What's even better, Barnes, Irving, Thornton, Hairston could all sign their LOIs within the next 14 days.

Duke Football has a strong chance to go bowling and its the beginning of November.

There's an exhibition Bball game tomorrow night in Cameron.

The season tips off in under two weeks.

Its a great time to be a Duke fan.

i just got sweaty palms and butterflies in my stomach.

so ready for this season to start

and football! coach cut! big game saturday!

jv001
11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
well thats a pretty wide gap. the good news is he has a better face up game than either at this point (or at least than elton was able to display in college)

I agree from to Lance to Elton is a real long gap. IMO Elton and Mike Lewis were the two best "bangers" in the post that I saw at Duke. Both were about 6'8" and very powerful. Now if Josh were somewhere in between them, we would have a stud. Go Duke!

BD80
11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
ESPN Dec. 17th to carry Ames High Basketball vs Chicago Waukegan from Hilton Coliseum; showcasing Harrison Barnes

http://twitter.com/whoradio

airowe
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Haven't confirmed this on the DVR yet, but supposedly the Recruiting Insider show is on @ 3:30 Thursday instead of 5:30. There will not be a whole lot of work getting done on Thursday afternoon if this is the case. I have a meeting scheduled for 2:30 then so a pm would be greatly appreciated if it's good news ;)

BD80
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Haven't confirmed this on the DVR yet, but supposedly the Recruiting Insider show is on @ 3:30 Thursday instead of 5:30. There will not be a whole lot of work getting done on Thursday afternoon if this is the case. I have a meeting scheduled for 2:30 then so a pm would be greatly appreciated if it's good news ;)

Would 5:30 EST be 3:30 local time in Iowa?

KShip21
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Iowa is central time. 4:30 CST

shoutingncu
11-03-2009, 05:34 PM

This may be a silly question, so I apologize, but have any Carolina recruits announced via ESPNU? Then again, I can only think of the two for Duke, so maybe it's not that big a point.

roywhite
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Yeah, listings show 3:30 Eastern time for the Recruiting Insider show on 11/12. Which would be 2:30 Central Time, which makes one wonder if HB's school day finishes by that point.

Though perhaps he could miss a class to announce his choice of Duke on national TV. :)

I guess we'll get some clarification next week as the "H" hour approaches.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I am glad I have a busy weekend to keep my mind off of this. 10 days out is not close enough! We love you Harrison!

Blueequalslife23
11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it's safe to say ALL DUKE fans will be on pins and needles on November 12th....lets hope we grab Harrison and come out the next day and dominate in our first game! :)

Newton_14
11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Has it been confirmed that H will announce on ESPNU like Kyrie did, or is that speculation/assumption?

Thanks

bigj4194
11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
to my knowledge (and it isn't much) all i know is he is announcing on 11/12. i'm assuming it will be on ESPNU but that is speculation.

soccerstud2210
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
to my knowledge (and it isn't much) all i know is he is announcing on 11/12. i'm assuming it will be on ESPNU but that is speculation.

over on the IC boards this announcement has them really worried. apparently unc recruits NEVER announce on national tv and only duke recruits do.

i think its meaningless. but for some over on IC its a huge deal right now

i think we are all nervous and anxious. duke, unc, and ku

MChambers
11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Mr. Barnes and Duke appear to be a perfect fit. Plus, Mr. Barnes has been going about the recruitment process as intelligently as Shane Battier did. You should feel confident. Yes, he could decide to go elsewhere (and I expect to root for him wherever he goes, except against Duke), but I like Duke's chances.

DeepBlue70
11-04-2009, 03:00 PM
over on the IC boards this announcement has them really worried. apparently unc recruits NEVER announce on national tv and only duke recruits do.

i think its meaningless. but for some over on IC its a huge deal right now

i think we are all nervous and anxious. duke, unc, and ku

If IC reports worry that "Carolina recruits never announce on national TV and only Duke recruits do" wouldn't that seem to indicate that Roy and/or K know what HB's choice is? How else would he (Barnes) know that he's not supposed to announce on national TV unless Roy told him, "We don't do it that way." Or K told him, "This is the way we do it." But of course, we've been told that no one knows what Barnes is thinking except HB himself.

Anxiety can sure skew the thinking.

I hope this thread is correct that he will be announcing at 3:30 pm. I'll be staying with friends in Ireland on the 12th. It will be 8:30 pm there and I'm going to be continually excusing myself to get on their computer to check the status. I'm sure they'll think it just a bit strange. Me? No, I'm not neurotic.

Gewebe14
11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Is anyone else excited that HB is announcing basically right before our season starts or is there another reason he is announcing on that day?

ScreechTDX1847
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Is anyone else excited that HB is announcing basically right before our season starts or is there another reason he is announcing on that day?

Fall signing period.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Should HB decide to attend UNC, he can still hang out with his buddy Kyrie, play all the pick games together locally, and they can tweak each other as rivials like Henderson and Ellington did.

Just sayin' that if I was HB, since the schools are so close, the fact that I had a good friend on the team would not be that big a deal. In fact, I might want to play against my friend, and enjoy the rivalry.

This kid seems to be destined to do his own thing, and that's all good.

This deal is not over 'till it's over.

jv001
11-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Should HB decide to attend UNC, he can still hang out with his buddy Kyrie, play all the pick games together locally, and they can tweak each other as rivials like Henderson and Ellington did.

Just sayin' that if I was HB, since the schools are so close, the fact that I had a good friend on the team would not be that big a deal. In fact, I might want to play against my friend, and enjoy the rivalry.

Yes but his real good friend can get him the ball. Go Duke!

jesus_hurley
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2009/11/03/a-baggageless-barnes-set-to-announce/

Nothing earth shattering, but it's another 'source' saying the announcement will come live via ESPN. Take this with a grain of salt - it's a blog for one thing and it's the same site that had Dave Odom talking about the in home visit by UNC that was right after Duke's. And we all remember how accurate that was.

jv001
11-04-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2009/11/03/a-baggageless-barnes-set-to-announce/

Nothing earth shattering, but it's another 'source' saying the announcement will come live via ESPN. Take this with a grain of salt - it's a blog for one thing and it's the same site that had Dave Odom talking about the in home visit by UNC that was right after Duke's. And we all remember how accurate that was.

The article gives Harrison good print on being a "good guy". Sounds like a Duke player to me. And on the flip side, the article mentions John Walls AAU ties and his not so good recruitment. Go Duke!

shoutingncu
11-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Another thing to think about... should Mr. Barnes choose North Carolina... is that the family atmosphere he witnessed at Duke may not actually run contrary to the spectacle that he saw at North Carolina. While the unc weekend was not about him, and I would assume the vast majority of fans may not have even known he was there, he was still able to see what the "basketball family" meant to the players and coaches who returned for it.

If he chooses the pale blue, it may be because those relationships surpassed the ones he has with Coach K and the Duke team.

Obviously, I'm just spitballing... I'll continue to believe that he's going to Duke until TrustInRoy says differently.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM

That would be true if they played similar positions, but they don't. I can see why Henderson and Ellington would have loved to play against each other in the rivalry. They are close to each other and can compete at a high level every game. But for HB and KI it's different. They are in positions were they can both make each other look better. If this was Dre-Dawk and HB i might agree, but it's not. This is a #2 rated point guard and a #1 SG/SF.

airowe
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Shoutingncu,

I hope Barnes talked to Roy about how that "family" treated him when he spurned the Heels and decided to coach the Jayhawks instead. ;)

Duvall
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Shoutingncu,

I hope Barnes talked to Roy about how that "family" treated him when he spurned the Heels and decided to coach the Jayhawks instead. ;)

I hope Barnes talked to Doherty about how that "family" treated him when Roy spurned the Jayhawks and decided to coach the Heels instead.

airowe
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Funny you should mention Andre Dawkins, dukefanbrooklyn.

Harrison noted in his diary that he and Andre are close friends. Not to mention Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton.

jesus_hurley
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/cyclone-recruiting/barnes-decision-coming-next-week

Ames High School activities director Judge Johnston tells CycloneFanatic.com that Barnes will indeed make his decision next Friday, Nov. 13, likely from Ames High.

Johnston said in an e-mail that Ames High is still waiting on ESPN to confirm what time the announcement will take place, though a mid-afternoon press conference seems likely.

Johnston said that it is still not official as to what ESPN channel the announcement will be made on.

“We hope to have it finalized by tomorrow,” Johnston said.

yancem
11-04-2009, 04:11 PM

I was actually thinking of that possibility the other day. While it is usually fun to play with your best friend it is almost always fun to beat him. Barnes is supposed to be a hyper competitive person so this mindset may apply.

In the end though, things seem well aligned for Duke and I like our chances.

RepoMan
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This thread is catching up on the epic length of the Wall thread. There's still time to beat it to death.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Funny you should mention Andre Dawkins, dukefanbrooklyn.

Harrison noted in his diary that he and Andre are close friends. Not to mention Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton.

If you read the Wheat post and my reply then what i said would make sense.

Greg_Newton
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/cyclone-recruiting/barnes-decision-coming-next-week

It's pretty cool* that his presser might be straight up televised on ESPN Uno... I guess Mr. Barnes outgrew ESPNU before he even got to a U!

It really is quite amazing that not a single indication his been leaked about where he is leaning, even a week before the announcment. For as high profile as he is, it's almost astonishing that even the insiders in both programs seem to be in the dark.

(*Well, cool if he chooses Duke...:rolleyes:)

Mike Corey
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
It's pretty cool* that his presser might be straight up televised on ESPN Uno... I guess Mr. Barnes outgrew ESPNU before he even got to a U!

It really is quite amazing that not a single indication his been leaked about where he is leaning, even a week before the announcment. For as high profile as he is, it's almost astonishing that even the insiders in both programs seem to be in the dark.

(*Well, cool if he chooses Duke...:rolleyes:)

This says a lot about Harrison Barnes, IMO.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Just doing my part to try and raise the level of suspense with something to think about...:)

I won't be surprised, unless he goes to UCLA, Iowa St., or Kansas.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I would seriously be surprised if he went to Unc. I think his top three is DUKE, Kansas, and oklahoma

Kedsy
11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I would seriously be surprised if he went to Unc. I think his top three is DUKE, Kansas, and oklahoma

On what do you base these thoughts?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
No inside information just a fan. It's just my opinion don't take it for anything more. But i guess i would base it off of the articles i've read. Which have all been posted on this board so i guess i just read into them a little different then others.

airowe
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
It's pretty obvious he's going to Duke. Initial reports were that he was announcing on the 12th. 1 + 2 = 3. UNC has 3 letters in it.

Now, it's the 13th. 1 + 3 = 4. Duke has 4 letters in it.

Take it to the bank!

Kedsy
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
It's pretty obvious he's going to Duke. Initial reports were that he was announcing on the 12th. 1 + 2 = 3. UNC has 3 letters in it.

Take it to the bank!

Yeah, but "North Carolina" has 13 letters in it -- now I'm nervous.

Oh, wait, I forgot the space between the words. We're good.

Tim1515
11-04-2009, 06:22 PM
IMO i'd be shocked if he went to Kansas. They might need to rebuild a little after this year...although they'll still be good...but it seems Duke and UNC are the safer bets to be title contenders.

Kansas has also been in the news for bad reasons lately and don't think Barnes hasn't taken notice. Morningstar...the whole Henry situation with his brother. I just don't see that being his style.

IMO it's Duke, UNC and Oklahoma as the surprise. I'm pretty confident it will be Duke...if we know Barnes at all...everything he values points to Duke.

Kedsy
11-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Take it to the bank!

Are we certain it's the 13th now? I know one source said that, but several others said otherwise, didn't they?

airowe
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Are we certain it's the 13th now? I know one source said that, but several others said otherwise, didn't they?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091104/SPORTS0811/91104023/1003/SPORTS

The article jesushurley posted earlier and this one have direct quotes from Barnes' coach. I'd say he's a pretty trusty source.

“We’re fairly confident that it will be held in the afternoon on the 13th,” Johnston said.

airowe
11-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Also, ESPNU has a Signing Day Special on starting at 2 PM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

slower
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
While it is usually fun to play with your best friend it is almost always fun to beat him.

it is the MOST fun to be able to ROOM with him, now isn't it?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091104/SPORTS0811/91104023/1003/SPORTS

The article jesushurley posted earlier and this one have direct quotes from Barnes' coach. I'd say he's a pretty trusty source.

I love the fact that Iowa state has the most votes for where he will be going next year. I want him at Duke but i found the results of the poll very funny.