PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

SilkyJ
10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree that I do not understand the recruiting business, that is why I was asking the question is there another angle for playing ISU other than HB, like an association with the coaching staffs. I have been following Duke for many years and I do not remember playing ISU before, so it struck me as odd that we would have them show up on the schedule this year... call me a nooob if you like, I still think it is a legit question.

We're Duke. We're the most recognizable program in the country. We don't go through the complex arranging of a schedule and weave it around a 17-18 yr old who may never attend.

jesus_hurley
10-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I get the Scheyer/Illinois connection, but why play ISU? I do not remember ever playing them before. Is there a coaching connection there (Duke alum on staff)? I can't think of a reason other than to appeal to HB. I get that he will have committed by then, but surely the fact that we are playing his home town team was discussed at some point. Just wondering why them and not an IL team?

Duke had the United Center reserved for a game but did not have an opponent yet. They contacted the Big 12 who in turn contacted Iowa State to see if they were interested. They were. Apparently it's our first game ever with Iowa State.

http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=4146762

BlueintheFace
10-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree that I do not understand the recruiting business, that is why I was asking the question is there another angle for playing ISU other than HB, like an association with the coaching staffs. I have been following Duke for many years and I do not remember playing ISU before, so it struck me as odd that we would have them show up on the schedule this year... call me a nooob if you like, I still think it is a legit question.

A question that has already been answered (by me ;)). K and Cal almost had a series on paper for a home-home-and neutral site (at chicago for scheyer), but Cal didn't want the neutral site game included.

Now we have ISU in Chicago.

oldnavy
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the cordial and informative answer. If we don't get HB, then I hope we are playing against him in Iowa rather than Chapel Hill! ABC!! Anybody But Carolina!

Kedsy
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I would run up and down naked if Barnes came to Duke. I would be upset if Barnes went to another school, like Kansas or Iowa St. I would, however, be devastated, cry like a school girl, and lose all faith in Duke basketball if Barnes went to UNC. Will it be a complete overreaction? Of course, but please don't tell me that everything is going to be okay. If maybe, but I will still be devastated. I also think that DBR would blow up if Barnes went to UNC.

The sentiment on Barnes has gone from "I really want this guy" to "I think we can get this guy" to "It's Kansas versus us and I think we have the upper hand" to "UNC is in the picture? No problem, we're the front runner" to "OMG!!!! %£$%@!!!! UNC is going to get Barnes!!!! This is the worst month of my life!"

When I was a senior at Duke, Coach K was in his second year. He was assembling an amazing recruiting class centered around Johnny Dawkins, but Duke was also hoping to get the consensus #1 player in the country, who happened to play for a high school in Durham. He was a 6'6" wing forward named Curtis Hunter (since he was from Durham, I even got a chance to see him play in a high school game -- he looked pretty darned good). People thought K had a good chance to land the kid, but ultimately Hunter decided to play for Dean Smith and UNC. We all weeped and wailed and gnashed our teeth. Would we ever get a recruit out from under old Deano?

While sounds of frustration echoed around campus, K managed to grab a little known kid named David Henderson to fill the scholarship he had hoped to give to Hunter.

As it happened, Curtis Hunter never panned out. He had injury issues, and maybe that was the problem, but I don't think he ever scored more than 5 or 6 ppg during his years in ugly blue. I'm not sure he ever started. David Henderson was a key cog in the 1986 NCAA finalists and for his career averaged 12+ ppg, 4 rpg, and 2+ apg. He was the much better player of the two.

I'm not saying that story means anything at all, except to say that to become devastated over the loss of a recruit, even one as important as Harrison Barnes, is to lose one's perspective entirely. That is all.

SupaDave
10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
When I was a senior at Duke, Coach K was in his second year. He was assembling an amazing recruiting class centered around Johnny Dawkins, but Duke was also hoping to get the consensus #1 player in the country, who happened to play for a high school in Durham. He was a 6'6" wing forward named Curtis Hunter (since he was from Durham, I even got a chance to see him play in a high school game -- he looked pretty darned good). People thought K had a good chance to land the kid, but ultimately Hunter decided to play for Dean Smith and UNC. We all weeped and wailed and gnashed our teeth. Would we ever get a recruit out from under old Deano?

While sounds of frustration echoed around campus, K managed to grab a little known kid named David Henderson to fill the scholarship he had hoped to give to Hunter.

As it happened, Curtis Hunter never panned out. He had injury issues, and maybe that was the problem, but I don't think he ever scored more than 5 or 6 ppg during his years in ugly blue. I'm not sure he ever started. David Henderson was a key cog in the 1986 NCAA finalists and for his career averaged 12+ ppg, 4 rpg, and 2+ apg. He was the much better player of the two.

I'm not saying that story means anything at all, except to say that to become devastated over the loss of a recruit, even one as important as Harrison Barnes, is to lose one's perspective entirely. That is all.

Yes indeed. Curtis Hunter was highly regarded and his college career had it's moments but that particular 1982 team included Waymon Tisdale (a highly regarded player here at the DBR), Brad Lohaus, Benoit Benjamin, the father of our favorite transfer - Dell Curry, and the guy who I have always known to be the consensus #1 player in that class - Brad Daughtery. All went pro - except Hunter, so I see your point - but I believe the stakes are just a tad higher right now.

However, your intent is well taken because the main point of all this is not to worry b/c even though it must sound a little hokey you have to trust in Coach K. After all the wonderful surprises we had this summer you would think it would be a little easier to relax.

Thanks for the story Kedsy.

Greg_Newton
10-08-2009, 01:01 AM
So, didn't see this posted yet, but word is Barnes' UCLA visit has been rescheduled to the weekend of the 31st, meaning Duke no longer has the last OV. Oh well.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Yea i don't think that matters due to the fact Ucla has no chance with barnes.

oldnavy
10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Curtis Hunter went to the same HS as I did. He was four years behind me so I saw him play a lot. He was a very athletic player, but his jump shot had almost no arch on it at all. That was his achilles heel. David Henderson played in a very, very small town called Drewy near Kerr Lake, so he had limited exposure compared to what Curtis had in Durham. Curtis is a great guy, but I am glad he went to UNC and not Duke. He actually coached at the NCSMS for a while, and I believe he is still coaching HS ball somewhere in NC.

phillyheel
10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Curtis Hunter went to the same HS as I did. He was four years behind me so I saw him play a lot. He was a very athletic player, but his jump shot had almost no arch on it at all. That was his achilles heel. David Henderson played in a very, very small town called Drewy near Kerr Lake, so he had limited exposure compared to what Curtis had in Durham. Curtis is a great guy, but I am glad he went to UNC and not Duke. He actually coached at the NCSMS for a while, and I believe he is still coaching HS ball somewhere in NC.

Curtis had a good friend (or was it family?) that worked at NCSSM when I was there and he use to hang out there quite a bit when he was in high school. I'm don't think he was the consensus #1 recruit but was highly rated. Anyone that talked much with his friend pretty much knew he was going to UNC.

CMS2478
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Yea i don't think that matters due to the fact Ucla has no chance with barnes.

I agree with you that UCLA is probably not an option here and a free trip out there is very attractive, but I do think it matters in the big scheme of things. I maybe a pessimist, but I really have this funny feeling that Barnes is slowy trying to disassociate himself as a "Duke lean." He started courting UNC then says he is going to measure all of his visits by their standard of the alumni game (which he said was phenomenal). Then he gives Roy the last in home visit, which no matter how you slice it, can't be good for Duke. Then we are supposed to have the last OV, which is now not going to happen. I just think he is making an effort to prove that Duke is not a clear leader at this point and I wonder why? Maybe so when he picks Duke it will be more of a surprise? Maybe, but I tend to believe it's so the pain of the breakup between him and Coach K will less painful. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Duvall
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with you that UCLA is probably not an option here and a free trip out there is very attractive, but I do think it matters in the big scheme of things. I maybe a pessimist, but I really have this funny feeling that Barnes is slowy trying to disassociate himself as a "Duke lean." He started courting UNC then says he is going to measure all of his visits by their standard of the alumni game (which he said was phenomenal). Then he gives Roy the last in home visit, which no matter how you slice it, can't be good for Duke. Then we are supposed to have the last OV, which is now not going to happen. I just think he is making an effort to prove that Duke is not a clear leader at this point and I wonder why? Maybe so when he picks Duke it will be more of a surprise? Maybe, but I tend to believe it's so the pain of the breakup between him and Coach K will less painful. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Or maybe something came up the weekend he was scheduled to visit UCLA. Farfetched, I know.

eightyearoldsdude
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Has one of his OV's been rescheduled? Has he officially canceled any visits?

CMS2478
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Has one of his OV's been rescheduled? Has he officially canceled any visits?

He will visit Iowa State (unofficially) which was planned after the Duke visit and will now visit UCLA after the Duke visit (officially). It was due to a conflict with his mother being able to attend UCLA but what worries me is that there will be a lot of lapsed time between the Duke visit and the decision.

MChambers
10-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Why are so many folks so worried? Let's have a little confidence here. Duke has a need for him and is a perfect fit. Oh, and we have the Olympic coach.

Let's let Mr. Barnes take his time and examine his options carefully. I think he'll pick Duke.

jesus_hurley
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
He will visit Iowa State (unofficially) which was planned after the Duke visit and will now visit UCLA after the Duke visit (officially). It was due to a conflict with his mother being able to attend UCLA but what worries me is that there will be a lot of lapsed time between the Duke visit and the decision.

And even more time between the decision and the visit to UNC. Works both ways.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
It seems to me that Duke has as much of a chance to get Barnes as Oklahoma. Maybe he has been trying to disassociate himself as a Duke lean, and by God, he's done a great job of it. All of this is hearsay until he actually has his visit with Duke. I hope that Kyrie commits before his visit as I think that would be very helpful for us. AND let's not forget that Andre Dawkins is still good friends with him. I think him and Kyire would have a good repore with him.

oldnavy
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I doubt the UCLA schedule change has much to do with anything. It is a bit unnerving that he had an in home visit with Roy after the visit with K. I do think that getting his OV after UNC is a much better situation than if it were to occur in the reverse order. I hope the crowd really turns out and gives him a taste of what playing in CIS is all about. I know that I am very biased, but having the Crazies chant, Harrison-Barnes over and over would be more impressive to me than watching an alumni game (albeit an impressive alumni game). I doubt (wasn't there) he was given much love at UNC during the game since the focus was on the alumni and history of the program. Has the crowd reaction or lack-there-of to HB at the UNC alumni game been discussed?

eightyearoldsdude
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Dudes, I'm a Heel, but I gotta say that I appreciate the DBR's humility and patience with the Barnes sweepstakes. I find the smugness of the TDD mods insufferable, and now the ICers are approaching the same level of cockiness. It's lunacy. Nov. 12 or 16th can't get here soon enough.

Devil07
10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Nothing much here that would suggest he's leaning one way or another, but Harrison does refute the Odom theory of Roy getting the call and jumping on the next flight...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-326700&prov=rivals&type=lgns

“Originally Duke had planned its visit earlier,” said Barnes. “With North Carolina there was some confusion about whether I had open gym at school that day. I had told them around three weeks ago, I didn’t have open gym. We had some additional questions for them, so we just had them come to the house.”

RelativeWays
10-08-2009, 12:33 PM
So far the most disappointing thing about this latest turn of developments is how quick Duke fans are giving up on this. If Harrison Barnes does read any of these threads, I wonder how it strikes him that a lot of Duke fans are resigned to letting him go to UNC. To me it says "these fans are fickle and don't have a lot of faith in their coach or program, I don't know if I want to go here". Screw that. We don't have too much control in Harrison's decision but we can at least act like we're not giving up. Jeez. If he picks UNC, at least make the heel fans earn it.

chrisheery
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I bet that is the deciding factor he will use to determine where he will spend his college education and at least 1 year of basketball education. The fans on message boards. Even I get embarrased of myself for spending time on this thing so much. I assume he doesn't use me (or any of us) as his guide.

That said, it is true that most people I know think we have lost him. I think that speaks more to our recent misses (just a few key guys, Patrick Patterson probably hurts the most in my mind as he would have completed the team he would have joined).

slower
10-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I bet that is the deciding factor he will use to determine where he will spend his college education and at least 1 year of basketball education. The fans on message boards. Even I get embarrased of myself for spending time on this thing so much. I assume he doesn't use me (or any of us) as his guide.

That said, it is true that most people I know think we have lost him. I think that speaks more to our recent misses (just a few key guys, Patrick Patterson probably hurts the most in my mind as he would have completed the team he would have joined).

Oh, yeah - "The key to happiness is low expectations." :)

Hopefully, Harrison's just being a thoughtful guy and weighing everything carefully. I understand people freaking out over a lack of early commitments from HB and KI, but let's wait until the final bell on this one. As screenwriter William Goldman famously said about Hollywood (and predicting which movies would be hits), "nobody knows anything."

DukeBlood
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
If Harrison Barnes chooses somewhere else. It will not be the end of Duke basketball. Lets take a look into the future, and I see Duke signing atleast 2 more players in the '10 recruiting class. To keep it easy though, lets say we only sign one more in Mr. Irving.

Guards:
FR Kyrie Irving- 6'1 165lbs
FR Tyler Thorton- 6'2 180lbs
SO Seth Curry- 6'1 175lbs
SR Nolan Smith- 6'2 185 lbs
SO Andre Dawkins- 6'4 190lbs

Wings/Forwards:
JR Olek Czyz- 6'7 240lbs
SR Kyle Singler- 6'8 230lbs
FR Josh Hairston- 6'8 195lbs
JR Miles Plumlee- 6'10 240lbs
SO Mason Plumlee- 6'11 230lbs

There is alot of talent on that team right there. Sweet 16-Elite 8 status I believe. With the addition of Harrison(assuming he is as good as everyone believes he is) This team probably jumps to Final 4-Champion. Duke will be Duke with or without him. I would love for him to be the next Blue Devil... However if he isn't. Best of luck to a class man. Please dont melt down.

tommy
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
He started courting UNC then says he is going to measure all of his visits by their standard of the alumni game (which he said was phenomenal).

When and where did he say that would be his measuring stick? Link?

airowe
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
“Originally Duke had planned its visit earlier,” said Barnes. “With North Carolina there was some confusion about whether I had open gym at school that day. I had told them around three weeks ago, I didn’t have open gym. We had some additional questions for them, so we just had them come to the house.”

Sounds like Barnes is not as much of a heavy lean to UNC as some would think. If he needed Roy to come all the way out to answer some questions, he can't be completely sold on them. It's obvious UNC has made up ground here, but this one hasn't been decided yet. I'm certainly glad we have the OV to really put on the final show.

Can't wait for Fall signing period to start!

airowe
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
When and where did he say that would be his measuring stick? Link?

Here (http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-unc/)

They set the standard for what I’m looking for on my other visits. It gave me a good marker for other schools.

I don't think there's much to be made out of it though. It was his first OV. Of course it's going to be the marker for other schools.

sagegrouse
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
So far the most disappointing thing about this latest turn of developments is how quick Duke fans are giving up on this. If Harrison Barnes does read any of these threads, I wonder how it strikes him that a lot of Duke fans are resigned to letting him go to UNC. To me it says "these fans are fickle and don't have a lot of faith in their coach or program, I don't know if I want to go here". Screw that. We don't have too much control in Harrison's decision but we can at least act like we're not giving up. Jeez. If he picks UNC, at least make the heel fans earn it.

Agreed. I suppose with a relatively mature individual like HB, what's posted on this Board will make no difference whatsoever. It reads, however, like a collective psychoanalysis session, which is a little troubling for a public message board.

sagegrouse

SupaDave
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Learn to see the forest instead of the trees. If some of you would stop devouring your information in tidbits and then obsessing over it, then you would see that nothing really has changed.

Harrison and his family have done everything they have said they would do so let's try and talk more about Harrison the basketball player.

houstondukie
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
If Harrison Barnes chooses somewhere else. It will not be the end of Duke basketball. Lets take a look into the future, and I see Duke signing atleast 2 more players in the '10 recruiting class. To keep it easy though, lets say we only sign one more in Mr. Irving.

Guards:
FR Kyrie Irving- 6'1 165lbs
FR Tyler Thorton- 6'2 180lbs
SO Seth Curry- 6'1 175lbs
SR Nolan Smith- 6'2 185 lbs
SO Andrew Dawkins- 6'4 190lbs

Wings/Forwards:
JR Olek Czyz- 6'7 240lbs
SR Kyle Singler- 6'8 230lbs
FR Josh Hairston- 6'8 195lbs
JR Miles Plumlee- 6'10 240lbs
SO Mason Plumlee- 6'11 230lbs

There is alot of talent on that team right there. Sweet 16-Elite 8 status I believe. With the addition of Harrison(assuming he is as good as everyone believes he is) This team probably jumps to Final 4-Champion. Duke will be Duke with or without him. I would love for him to be the next Blue Devil... However if he isn't. Best of luck to a class man. Please dont melt down.

I don't mean to sound entitled, but I'm tired of sweet 16 appearances. And what about the possibility of Singler going pro?

chrisheery
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't mean to sound entitled, but I'm tired of sweet 16 appearances. And what about the possibility of Singler going pro?

Well, if Singler doesn't go pro, that is a final four team, not a sweet sixteen team.

If he does go pro, I agree, that puts us in a different position. However, that team is still good enough to get to the final four, but probably not as likely.

Things we don't know that we may like a lot when we do:
how good Mason is
how good Dre Dawk is
whether KI can do in college what he does in high school

If all of these variables work out to be slightly better than we think, that makes a very very good team. If slightly worse, more like a sweet sixteen team, I guess.

airowe
10-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Things we don't know that we may like a lot when we do:
how good Mason is
how good Dre Dawk is
whether KI can do in college what he does in high school

If all of these variables work out to be slightly better than we think, that makes a very very good team. If slightly worse, more like a sweet sixteen team, I guess.

Don't sleep on Seth Curry either. If he's 1/2 the player his brother was in college he's going to make a big impact.

Back on topic, Harrison Barnes.

chrisheery
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Don't sleep on Seth Curry either. If he's 1/2 the player his brother was in college he's going to make a big impact.

Back on topic, Harrison Barnes.

I thought talking about the fact that we would more than survive without Harrison Barnes might be a refreshing change of pace for this thread. That's not to say he wouldn't make us much better, its to say that even if we don't get him, things are fine. I still think we will, though. He was born to go to Duke.

DUKIE V(A)
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Harrison and his family have done everything they have said they would do.

Agreed. I am pretty excited to hear his decision, but the family has consistently maintained they are going to be thorough in their evaluation and decision making. It's great that they have many outstanding options to sort through. If Harrison chooses Duke, he will be doing it with eyes wide open (as any recruit should) and we should be particularly excited about that. I give the Barnes family a lot of credit. They seem to be handling the whole recruiting thing quite nicely. Harrison seems like a very mature, thoughtful person. Seems like he would fit into the plans of any program, but he needs the opportunity to carefully determine which program is the best fit for him.

I also agree with the sentiment that we as a fan base should be more optimistic/positive about how great Duke and Duke basketball is. Whether Harrison ultimately chooses to come, he obviously has a lot of respect for Duke. While I hope he picks Duke (and think he ultimately will), if he does not I don't think for a second our coaching staff and players didn't do everything they could to show Harrison and his family how great a place Duke is. I also will not consider Duke or Duke basketball any less special (no matter the program Harrison chooses) even if it means it will be that much more challenging to win basketball games.

airowe
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I thought talking about the fact that we would more than survive without Harrison Barnes might be a refreshing change of pace for this thread. That's not to say he wouldn't make us much better, its to say that even if we don't get him, things are fine. I still think we will, though. He was born to go to Duke.

Chris, I wasn't calling you out for not talking about Harrison, I did it myself. I was just trying to be on topic myself. I agree with your last statement whole-heartedly. This is a Duke kid through and through.

chrisheery
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
you know who would be good to have around campus for Harrison's OV?

Reggie Love. Is it possible to have a basketball player with a more impressive early career after graduation? I suppose a Rhodes Scholar is more impressive, but Bill Bradley is the only one I have ever heard of doing this. The guy works with the leader of the free world every day. And he didn't even start!

Faison1
10-08-2009, 03:29 PM
you know who would be good to have around campus for Harrison's OV?

Reggie Love. Is it possible to have a basketball player with a more impressive early career after graduation? I suppose a Rhodes Scholar is more impressive, but Bill Bradley is the only one I have ever heard of doing this. The guy works with the leader of the free world every day. And he didn't even start!

I'm sure that would be an interesting perspective for Harrison.....on the one hand you have Reggie, a Duke Grad, working with the President. On the other hand, you have the President who is a huge UNC fan. I can't tell if that is or isn't a great angle for us.......

jimsumner
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Tom McMillen and Hayward Dotson were also Rhodes Scholars.

But since Princeton, Maryland, and Columbia don't seem to be in the hunt for Barnes, that shouldn't hurt Duke. :)

Lord Ash
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I had never heard of Obama being a UNC fan, except for him playing ball with them that one time.

chrisheery
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Tom McMillen and Hayward Dotson were also Rhodes Scholars.

But since Princeton, Maryland, and Columbia don't seem to be in the hunt for Barnes, that shouldn't hurt Duke. :)

I almost wrote in my post: cue jimsumner to tell me who the others were. But, then I thought it might not be taken the right way. So great that you had that info posted less than 1 hour later.

Oh, and I agree. When did Obama ever say he was a Carolina fan? Because he picked them and played ball with them? Picking them was just smart. Playing ball with them was probably more of a publicity thing, no?

Faison1
10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, and I agree. When did Obama ever say he was a Carolina fan? Because he picked them and played ball with them? Picking them was just smart. Playing ball with them was probably more of a publicity thing, no?

Since the game of perception is often murky, I would say that the general public sees the President as a UNC fan. If he wasn't, he could have picked any other program in the country to play hoops with. Additionally, I found the following link where Obama endorses a book written by ol' Roy:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/09/11/obama-quote-roy-williams-memoir/

With regards to his picks, he picked UNC to win it not only last year, but the year before, where UNC got waxed by Kansas. Putting all of that together, I would qualify him as being a fan.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24368094/

Lord Ash
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hm, I would tend to disagree. I think I picked UNC to win both years too, and I am certainly not a fan:) As for playing with anyone... he was in North Carolina. There are not a ton of teams there to play pickup with, and there is only one that you would play pickup with when you are trying to get votes from that state.

Now, if he wanted votes from NJ...

;)

JG Nothing
10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I found the following link where Obama endorses a book written by ol' Roy:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/09/11/obama-quote-roy-williams-memoir/

Did you read the article you linked? It explicitly says Obama did not endorse Williams's book. Furthermore, the Obama quote (which was a general comment about Williams being a great coach) was used without permission and has been removed from the jacket by the publisher.

Faison1
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Hm, I would tend to disagree. I think I picked UNC to win both years too, and I am certainly not a fan:) The book piece is interesting, though.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I respect your posts, but are you kidding me? You picked UNC both years? Maybe if it was for money and it was a huge pot.....

I would guess that 90% of Carolina fans would never pick Duke in their brackets, no matter how good the team was. Same with Duke fans. There's just something about picking brackets that will never allow me to have UNC winning it all.

I think if you pick a team 2 years in a row, it means you are a fan of theirs.....so what does that say about you, Lord Ash?

Faison1
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Did you read the article you linked? It explicitly says Obama did not endorse Williams's book. Furthermore, the Obama quote (which was a general comment about Williams being a great coach) was used without permission and has been removed from the jacket by the publisher.

Yes, I read the article. Although they pulled the endorsement, I would assume that if a quote from Obama made it as far as the sleave of the book, the publisher must have at some point felt like they had permission.....perhaps before Obama won the office.

OK...enough of this....I think Obama is a fan......let's get back to Harrison.

sandinmyshoes
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet. I waded through all the Obama stuff and didn't see it, but if I missed it, my apologies.

Barnes himself says they called UNC in for some more questions. If we're inclined to take him at his word, and I am, it appears that this one two battle between Duke and UNC isn't as sure a thing as we see it painted on the rival bulletin boards. He seems sincere in expressing that the others on his list are in the mix as well. Even if Duke or UNC lead, there's still a lot that can happen and dump our joint hubris on its butt.

airowe
10-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Optimistics thinking, but isn't what I'm thinking and I'm no SHPM. Barnes and his family are too bright and courteous to ask a Coach to fly out just to answer some questions if they aren't serious about that school. Especially after they have already had a couple visits with the man and his program.

I do think that Roy would have jumped on the DagNubbit-1 in a HEART BEART to answer even ONE question from Barnes about something as trivial as the Cafeteria, but just b/c Roy would do it doesn't mean the Barnes family would ask him to do it unless it was for something serious.

What those questions were that he needed answered, well I have no idea, but given how methodical and intelligent Barnes is, I'm guessing it was about something serious and worth talking F2F.

Just because it was something serious why does it mean it has to be a positive thing for UNC?

Regardless, as you said, you don't know and I certainly don't know. There is only our interpretation. Mine is obviously optimistic, and I choose to think that regardless of what has transpired in the public eye, only Harrison Barnes knows for sure what he's thinking.

Despie all the chatter from UNC's side, no one can say with even a moderate degree of certainty that he's a Carolina lean. Or a Duke lean for that matter. People (maybe not as many on this board) were ready to write this guy off after he let Roy in following K's in-home. Now that more facts have come out, I don't see how these people can still feel the same way. Maybe its the glass half full in me...

Devilsfan
10-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Mr. Obama when needing council and trust he chose a Dukie in Reggie Love rather than say a famous tarheel. When the President of the United States needs a very intelligent person with the highest integrity what's better than a Duke grad that played for and was guided by Coach K? Enough said.

Greg_Newton
10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
As Watzone said a couple days ago another Duke prospect from the 2010 class would be offered very soon. Well today scout.com is reporting that we have offered Harrison Barnes a 6'6 SF from Iowa.

Who is Harrison Barnes ? Could someone please fill in any details about him.

Where are you getting this? I have heard nothing about such a kid and scout.com doesn't seem to even have him listed as a prospect for 2010...

Can we get a link or something?

Ahhhhhhh, how I miss those simpler times...... :rolleyes:

ChicagoCrazy84
10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Ahhhhhhh, how I miss those simpler times...... :rolleyes:

Hilarious! And it's too bad that he didn't stay a relatively "unknown" prospect as he probably would've accepted a while ago. Oh well. At least we can take solace in the fact that we have been recruiting him the longest of any school, except maybe Iowa State. That goes further than people may think. Look at John Wall.

Lord Ash
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I respect your posts, but are you kidding me? You picked UNC both years? Maybe if it was for money and it was a huge pot.....

I would guess that 90% of Carolina fans would never pick Duke in their brackets, no matter how good the team was. Same with Duke fans. There's just something about picking brackets that will never allow me to have UNC winning it all.

I think if you pick a team 2 years in a row, it means you are a fan of theirs.....so what does that say about you, Lord Ash?

Two things;

First, picking UNC to win is actually a smart move. Either I win because UNC doesn't win a title, or I get a little money to make their win more palatable. Either way, at least I get something.

As for me and my support of teams... check out my avatar and then I am sure you'll figure out which of us was actually a Blue Devil who knew Dave and Suzie down in the equipment room, knows about that crappy hill about 7k into the Washington Duke trail if you go to the right, and knows that Doc Berlin always seemed to hold on a second too long on the head-turn-and-cough... and and which of us wasn't ;)

airowe
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I am VERY sorry I brought up Obama. I knew at the time I shouldn't have. My apologies for adding to a highjacked thread......

Let's get it back to Harrison. Any word on how his Oklahoma trip went? Do you think Jeff Capel put in a good word for us?

Here's a subscription article on how Barnes' trip to Oklahoma went. You can get a free 7-day trial to read it if you want. I wouldn't use it for this article if I were you though.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/907167.html

As far as Capel putting in a good word for us. I seriously doubt it. He's recruiting Barnes for Oklahoma, not for Duke. Although, it is interesting that Barnes has visited two former Duke players who are now coaches. It seems that there are some qualities in K's guys that he finds attractive.

Kedsy
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
As far as Capel putting in a good word for us. I seriously doubt it. He's recruiting Barnes for Oklahoma, not for Duke. Although, it is interesting that Barnes has visited two former Duke players who are now coaches. It seems that there are some qualities in K's guys that he finds attractive.

Who's the other one? I thought his five visits were Duke, UNC, Okla, UCLA, and Kansas, plus Iowa State unoficially.

cwaugh
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Dawkins at Stanford

Kedsy
10-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Dawkins at Stanford

Ah, yes, and Condi Rice. An unofficial visit.

oldnavy
10-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Just because it was something serious why does it mean it has to be a positive thing for UNC?

Regardless, as you said, you don't know and I certainly don't know. There is only our interpretation. Mine is obviously optimistic, and I choose to think that regardless of what has transpired in the public eye, only Harrison Barnes knows for sure what he's thinking.

Despie all the chatter from UNC's side, no one can say with even a moderate degree of certainty that he's a Carolina lean. Or a Duke lean for that matter. People (maybe not as many on this board) were ready to write this guy off after he let Roy in following K's in-home. Now that more facts have come out, I don't see how these people can still feel the same way. Maybe its the glass half full in me...

It seems more plausable to me that if Roy felt the need to jump on a plane and fly out to the Barnes' home that it must have been some very serious concerns, and not necessarily good ones for UNC. I mean if HB's questions were, "hey coach can I get the locker next to DrewII", or "oh, I forgot are there any good sushi places in CH?" Ol Roy could have answered them on the phone. I have no inside info, but my gut tells me that there questions had to be serious enough that Roy felt justified spending a ton of money (maybe not a huge issue to UNC), but also a fair amount of time (probably more valuable than the cash spent) to go there and address in person. Just a hunch, but if I have to read the tea leaves on this one, I say it was NOT a good thing for UNC. The flip to this line of reason of course would be that Roy impressed HB so much by answering his concerns in person that he sold him... but I doubt that. There is no end to the spin one can put on this stuff.

oldnavy
10-09-2009, 07:20 AM
How funny would it be, it Ol Roy had one of his famous meltdown moments in HB's living room. Just say he got angry about a question HB or his mom asked after flying all the way out to Iowa and dropped the F bomb during a rant... that visual makes me :)

yancem
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
It seems more plausable to me that if Roy felt the need to jump on a plane and fly out to the Barnes' home that it must have been some very serious concerns, and not necessarily good ones for UNC. I mean if HB's questions were, "hey coach can I get the locker next to DrewII", or "oh, I forgot are there any good sushi places in CH?" Ol Roy could have answered them on the phone. I have no inside info, but my gut tells me that there questions had to be serious enough that Roy felt justified spending a ton of money (maybe not a huge issue to UNC), but also a fair amount of time (probably more valuable than the cash spent) to go there and address in person. Just a hunch, but if I have to read the tea leaves on this one, I say it was NOT a good thing for UNC. The flip to this line of reason of course would be that Roy impressed HB so much by answering his concerns in person that he sold him... but I doubt that. There is no end to the spin one can put on this stuff.

I read a theory on another board that seems pretty solid. According to an interview (I can't find the link right now) O'Roy was supposed to be coming to an open gym to see Barnes. There was some apparent confusion as to when the open gym was supposed to take place. It sounds like O'Roy may have scheduled his trip for the day of Duke's in-home even though there wasn't an open gym that day. So, the theory is, since O'Roy was already flying into town to see Barnes, with no open gym, Barnes asked O'Roy to come by and answer some questions instead of wasting the trip.

I will try to find the link later today but if this theory holds water, it makes it sound like O'Roy was being crafty to get a chance to bend Barnes' ear on the same day that K came a knockin. Only time will tell if Barnes saw through the rouse.

yancem
10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Here is the link to the article I mentioned. I don't know if it has been posted earlier or not but here it is:

The biggest buzz in Barnes’ recruitment, however, occurred on the last day coaches could conduct in-home visits at the beginning of this week. Both Duke and North Carolina came calling for a pivotal chance to persuade their top recruiting target.

MChambers
10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I read a theory on another board that seems pretty solid. According to an interview (I can't find the link right now) O'Roy was supposed to be coming to an open gym to see Barnes. There was some apparent confusion as to when the open gym was supposed to take place. It sounds like O'Roy may have scheduled his trip for the day of Duke's in-home even though there wasn't an open gym that day. So, the theory is, since O'Roy was already flying into town to see Barnes, with no open gym, Barnes asked O'Roy to come by and answer some questions instead of wasting the trip.

I will try to find the link later today but if this theory holds water, it makes it sound like O'Roy was being crafty to get a chance to bend Barnes' ear on the same day that K came a knockin. Only time will tell if Barnes saw through the rouse.

If I were HB, I would not be impressed by a confused coach. :)

jesus_hurley
10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Eric Bossi has been doing a series of articles on Barnes for Scout.com. Today part 2 was released and has some interesting tidbits.

http://kansas.scout.com/2/907464.html

...You see Bryant is Barnes’ favorite player and it’s tough not to see similarities in their personality, drive and commitment to perfecting their skills.

May be named after MJ but that's not his favorite player.

MChambers
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I dimly recall Bryant saying something about playing for coach K? ;)

I'm sure someone will find a way to worry about even this tidbit, unfortunately.

El_Diablo
10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I dimly recall Bryant saying something about playing for coach K? ;)

I'm sure someone will find a way to worry about even this tidbit, unfortunately.

OMGz! He must like the Lakers...he's going to UCLA! ;)

FireOgilvie
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
If Harrison wants to be on TV as much as Kobe, he should come to Duke. Apparently, Duke bball and the Lakers both have 25 nationally televised games this year (the most of any college team or NBA team).

G man
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM

I would rather finish last every year in every bracket in the rest of eternity that pick UNC to win

SilkyJ
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I would rather finish last every year in every bracket in the rest of eternity that pick UNC to win

I used to feel that way, but for some reason as I've gotten older I've found it easier to be more objective and not care. I definitely subscribe to the "emotional hedging" rationale mentioned earlier: if I pick them to win and they do, I win money and am happy, and if they lose, I am happy by nature.

Separate poll?

Highlander
10-10-2009, 01:20 PM

I'm like Ash. Losing $5 on a bet for UNC to win it all is money well spent in my book.

Faison1
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
As for me and my support of teams... check out my avatar and then I am sure you'll figure out which of us was actually a Blue Devil who knew Dave and Suzie down in the equipment room, knows about that crappy hill about 7k into the Washington Duke trail if you go to the right, and knows that Doc Berlin always seemed to hold on a second too long on the head-turn-and-cough... and and which of us wasn't ;)

I just want to be clear, Ash, I was just joking. I noticed your avatar long ago. So, to make sure, here comes a smiley face: :) Boom....there it is. I should have put one in my original post. So here comes another: :) Boom....Done.

G man
10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I used to feel that way, but for some reason as I've gotten older I've found it easier to be more objective and not care. I definitely subscribe to the "emotional hedging" rationale mentioned earlier: if I pick them to win and they do, I win money and am happy, and if they lose, I am happy by nature.

Separate poll?

I have to admit I like your approach, but I still can not do it. I am one with blind hatred in my eyes. I refuse to own anything in that ugly shade of blue. Those who like to hedge your bets thats ok it just not for me.

airowe
10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Back to Harrison Barnes, http://ouhoops.com/?p=1195

devildeac
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Back to Harrison Barnes, http://ouhoops.com/?p=1195

That darn Capel. Wonder where he learned that kind of presentation.;)

oldnavy
10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Does anyone else think that the more visits HB takes the better Duke's chances are. I get the feeling that the more programs he is exposed too only helps our recruitment. He was dazzeled by the UNC weekend no doubt, but the more time that passes from that visit coupled with the exposure to other good programs and elite programs must lessen the impact that weekend had on him... plus I like Duke's chances with the business school angle better than any of the other programs as well. Am I just viewing the world thru my beautiful Duke Blue glasses or do other see it this way?

revmel53
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I truly believe the more time that passes, the better our chances. Roy certainly made some headway with an hour and a half counter/rebuttal, but we have to remember that HB visited K after an early NC visit. He is a Duke kind of kid, with strong ties to several people in our program. And also a smart guy. Let's just hope e doesn't get carried away with glitz.

Faison1
10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Let me tell you how I confirmed that too much recruiting information on the internet is not good for me:

Last night I dreamt that Michael Jordan told me Harrison Barnes was going to Kansas. I was totally bummed out because I knew that Harrison had tremendous drive for the following reason:

While on his Official Visit, I saw Harrison at a grocery store in Durham stocking shelves because he figured he could earn a few extra bucks during his spare time.

Between Kenny Boynton, John Wall, and Harrison Barnes, I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I'm glad I'm not a coach....hats off to K for staying sane.

Indoor66
10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Let me tell you how I confirmed that too much recruiting information on the internet is not good for me:

Last night I dreamt that Michael Jordan told me Harrison Barnes was going to Kansas. I was totally bummed out because I knew that Harrison had tremendous drive for the following reason:

While on his Official Visit, I saw Harrison at a grocery store in Durham stocking shelves because he figured he could earn a few extra bucks during his spare time.

Between Kenny Boynton, John Wall, and Harrison Barnes, I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I'm glad I'm not a coach....hats off to K for staying sane.

Actually, I doubt he obsesses over it (or even thinks about it) nearly as much as some on this board do.

jesus_hurley
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Mr Barnes clearing the air on the in home visit drama:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/harrison-barnes-clears-up-dukeunc-rumors/

jesus_hurley
10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
And his diary on the OU visit:
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-oklahoma/

FireOgilvie
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/harrison-barnes-clears-up-dukeunc-rumors/

It's nice to hear things directly from the recruit and not interpreted through various experts, who may or may not know what they are talking about (Odom clearly did not).

DukeHoopsGuru
10-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Interesting read. I'd feel a lot better if he didn't have "additional questions" for Huckleberry, but I could be paranoid. This kid keeps it tight to the vest that is for sure.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I guess i am going crazy with recruiting. As i am scared about what he meant when he said "additional questions." What do you think?

SilkyJ
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess i am going crazy with recruiting. As i am scared about what he meant when he said "additional questions." What do you think?

I think that he said "additional questions" last week so this isn't news and trying to speculate on what those questions might be is crazy.

I'll speculate on one thing though: I'll bet he wasn't asking Ol' Roy which place in CH has the best BBQ, though frankly its an important question in any recruiting process.

Newton_14
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Always funny how the truth is most ofen less "dramatic" than rumors. So there was no chasing down huck so he could catch a supersonic flight to Iowa on a Navy jet then get hustled into Obama's Air Force One Helicopter (O's a big heel fan) at which point they landed in HB's backyard just as K and crew were pulling out of the driveway...

The truthful version actually makes a heck of a lot more sense. It was a planned "contact" that was supposed to take place at the school and ended up having the location changed. No biggie. The unc contact that day would have happened no matter who had the official in home OV that day. Makes sense to me.

I like the fact that HB clearly stated he had visited Duke 3 times on his own dime and no "stunt" would break the relationship that had been established. Good stuff.

And Dave Odom... dude, so much for your rep...

Go Duke!
49-28
9F9F9F

airowe
10-12-2009, 10:12 PM

HB: "Why is Paul Pierce the only wing you've put in the NBA that has been successful when Coach K has put countless wings in a good position to be great in their pro careers?"

Roy: "Dagnabbit, aw shucks. "

SilkyJ
10-13-2009, 12:33 AM
HB: "Why is Paul Pierce the only wing you've put in the NBA that has been successful when Coach K has put countless wings in a good position to be great in their pro careers?"

HAHAHA. POTD!!!!

Marvin Williams is doing OK, tho he's a big wing

duketaylor
10-13-2009, 12:57 AM
to: "I'll speculate on one thing though: I'll bet he wasn't asking Ol' Roy which place in CH has the best BBQ, though frankly its an important question in any recruiting process."

Allen&Sons, very tasty, but don't go there if you want unsweetened tea, won't happen;)

SilkyJ
10-13-2009, 01:25 AM
to: "I'll speculate on one thing though: I'll bet he wasn't asking Ol' Roy which place in CH has the best BBQ, though frankly its an important question in any recruiting process."

Allen&Sons, very tasty, but don't go there if you want unsweetened tea, won't happen;)

Trick question. Everyone loves sweet tea.

ice-9
10-13-2009, 03:16 AM

I think you should relax yo! Go out, smell the sunshine, fly with the breeze. Life is good!

oldnavy
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM

This is where I could see Roy dropping a few F bombs, and saying something like "I don't give a S*** about Paul Pierce right now!"... Just ask him a challenging question that hints of criticism and step back.

Anyway, wow what an impressive post by HB. Dont see many kids that age, who A. would care enough to correct false rumors, and B. could write up such a cohesive and concise rebuttal. I just get this feeling that he is a Duke kind of kid...

houstondukie
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
This kid is eventually going to choose Duke. Just a matter of time. And we're going to look back on it and actually be happy UNC got involved and lost. To be the best, you have to beat the best, and it starts with recruiting. It will serve as a message that Coach K can still recruit and Duke is back.

flyingdutchdevil
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
This kid is eventually going to choose Duke. Just a matter of time. And we're going to look back on it and actually be happy UNC got involved and lost. To be the best, you have to beat the best, and it starts with recruiting. It will serve as a message that Coach K can still recruit and Duke is back.

Hands down, the best post on the whole Barnes recruiting thread. Love the optimism, love the statements, love the Duke pride, and love the faith.

Agreed - Barnes will go to Duke.

Side note: I am only semi-serious when I ask this, but does Vegas do odds on where a kid will go to school? I'm sure they don't, because there is too much potential for fraud, but it sounds like an awesome concept...

superdave
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Side note: I am only semi-serious when I ask this, but does Vegas do odds on where a kid will go to school? I'm sure they don't, because there is too much potential for fraud, but it sounds like an awesome concept...

This would almost surely get Las Vegas shut down by the federales.

Back to Barnes, if a lot of recruting services call him "the best high school small forward prospect since LeBron"....well, who else has come through college since 2003?

I can think of
Marvin Williams
Luol Deng
Chris Douglas-Roberts (not a big recruit iirc)
Michael Beasley
Kevin Durant (surely he's not better than Durant!?)

Who else? This is high praise.

SilkyJ
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
This would almost surely get Las Vegas shut down by the federales.

Back to Barnes, if a lot of recruting services call him "the best high school small forward prospect since LeBron"....well, who else has come through college since 2003?

I can think of
Marvin Williams
Luol Deng
Chris Douglas-Roberts (not a big recruit iirc)
Michael Beasley
Kevin Durant (surely he's not better than Durant!?)

Who else? This is high praise.

Luol was in Lebron's class. Lebron was the consensus #1 and Luol was pretty close to consensus #2.

It'd be tough to call him better than Durant was in HS, but at least an argument could be made. Its almost impossible for him to achieve Durant's success as a Freshman, however.

mr. synellinden
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Projecting the NBA draft 8 months from now (much less 32 months from now) is a ridiculous exercise, but I was just looking at the projections on the nbadraft.net web site and observed some interesting things:

Singler is on the 2011 list (http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft), not 2010 (and he is at #19 FWIW);

#7 on the 2011 list? Elliot Williams - SG, Memphis (it hurts to see that);

#1 on the 2011 list? Mr. Harrison Barnes

#4 on the 2011 list? John Henson

#45 on the 2011 list? Nolan Smith

Looking at the 2010 list (http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft) - #2 is Ed Davis; John Wall is #1; Greg Monroe is #13; Derrick Favors is #4; Patrick Patterson is #17; Aminu is #14 and Lawal is 21

ChicagoCrazy84
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
#7 on the 2011 list? Elliot Williams - SG, Memphis (it hurts to see that);

Even though I think that's a little high considering how raw his offensive game is, it hurts a lot. Just thinking about having EWill on this year's roster possibly WITH Dawkins (even though Dawkins probably wouldn't be around if he was) it makes me cry. Why Elliot? Why?

jv001
10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
While I certainly would love to see Elliot on this year's team, I think he will have to shoot much better than he showed at Duke to be #11 on that list. He has the quickness, the defensive ability and the hops to be a good player, but he has not shown that he can consistently shoot the basketball. That said, I sure would have loved to see him in a Duke uniform this year. Go Duke!

Lord Ash
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I wish we had Elliot at Duke, and we'll miss him and wish him and his best, but...

... that seems REALLY high for a guy who had a very tough time shooting the ball with any accuracy at all.

Anyway... yeah, to get it back on topic... so remember how history goes...

Hill

Battier

Barnes

with a whole lot of Singler and Dunleavy and Deng sprinkled in between?

:)

*crosses fingers*

ChicagoCrazy84
10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Absolutely!

If there is one position Duke has always supplied the NBA with, it is talented wings. You may even be able to add G to that list, but he'll probably play more of a 2 guard. I am sure Coach K has used that angle.

tommy
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Fraud? What about outright intimidation? Considering the amount of money Vegas sports books take in and the influence of organized crime on the operation of Las Vegas casinos, it wouldn't take long at all, if big money was on the line, to have the Pauley Walnuts-types intimidating kids and their families and dictating where they go to college, or else. Glad you were only semi-serious . . . :)

SupaDave
10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
It'd be tough to call him better than Durant was in HS, but at least an argument could be made. Its almost impossible for him to achieve Durant's success as a Freshman, however.

Not if he goes to Texas A&M - or Iowa State for that matter. As evidenced by his diaries he is already adjusting to the speed of the college game. Add his work ethic to that and Harrison could be an absolute beast at one of those schools - and some of the competition would give him points in buckets...

FireOgilvie
10-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Not if he goes to Texas A&M - or Iowa State for that matter. As evidenced by his diaries he is already adjusting to the speed of the college game. Add his work ethic to that and Harrison could be an absolute beast at one of those schools - and some of the competition would give him points in buckets...

Kyrie is the one looking at A&M, but you're definitely right about Iowa State. Look at what Craig Brackins has done there.

SupaDave
10-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Kyrie is the one looking at A&M, but you're definitely right about Iowa State. Look at what Craig Brackins has done there.

I apologize for my goof there. Yes - you guys have got my head spinning with Kyrie and Harrison. Some things really do feel right about the situation so I encourage all of you to enjoy these moments and these young men as they get the most out of higher learning. There's no telling how much they'll pick up from their visits to different universities. Both of these young men are bringing some very new things to the game.

SupaDave
10-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I'd also like to point out that Harrison's blunt honesty in his description of the "UNC fiasco" was reminiscent of a certain coach that we all admire around here.

shoutingncu
10-13-2009, 09:51 PM
...reminiscent of a certain coach that we all admire around here.

Jim Calhoun?

SilkyJ
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM

Good point. He'd have a shot to put up similar #'s as he'd be the best player by far on the team, but it still wouldn't be apples to apples. Durant was on a better team, made the NCAAs and won a game. I don't think anyone is talking about an Iowa St. post season run any time soon, though we're still an entire season from HB matriculating anywhere so lots could happen (no holding of breath here)

Greg_Newton
10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Good point. He'd have a shot to put up similar #'s as he'd be the best player by far on the team, but it still wouldn't be apples to apples. Durant was on a better team, made the NCAAs and won a game. I don't think anyone is talking about an Iowa St. post season run any time soon, though we're still an entire season from HB matriculating anywhere so lots could happen (no holding of breath here)

I'm assuming you guys are just exploring the hypothetical situation, but I doubt it would have much appeal to Harrison either way. Seeing as he'll be a top-5 pick wherever he goes, his two primary goals for college are likely a) win a championship, and b) prepare himself for the NBA. Playing in the ACC on a team stacked with NBA talent under a HOF coach (either Duke or UNC) puts him in a much better position to achieve these goals than playing for an Iowa State or a similar program. It's not like he really needs to generate any more hype by stuffing the stat sheet in college.

SupaDave
10-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm assuming you guys are just exploring the hypothetical situation, but I doubt it would have much appeal to Harrison either way. Seeing as he'll be a top-5 pick wherever he goes, his two primary goals for college are likely a) win a championship, and b) prepare himself for the NBA. Playing in the ACC on a team stacked with NBA talent under a HOF coach (either Duke or UNC) puts him in a much better position to achieve these goals than playing for an Iowa State or a similar program. It's not like he really needs to generate any more hype by stuffing the stat sheet in college.

But of course, and it's much better than expressing disappointment over every little thing that doesn't go our way. This is basketball.

I like to envision Harrison in a number of ways. I think he could accomplish MUCH of what Durant has AT Duke and could even more likely pull a Carmelo. But if it's not at Duke I most certainly think that his imprint would be much larger - especially at a school like ummmm, UCLA. (hopefully I got this one right)...

UCLA seems like a dark horse around here but they've got it all. The banners. THE Coach. The NBA players. Final Fours. The Banners. I'm interested in seeing what Harrison has to say about them.

jesus_hurley
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Dickie V is getting in on the recruitment action:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=4554034

Biggest surprise in the article? He only says 'baby' once.

UrinalCake
10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Biggest surprise in the article? He only says 'baby' once.

Wow, there was absolutely zero useful information in that "article." But it sure did get my excited :)

BlueintheFace
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow, there was absolutely zero useful information in that "article." But it sure did get my excited :)

You just summed up Dick Vitale as a commentator and announcer right there and I love him for it.

superdave
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM
You just summed up Dick Vitale as a commentator and announcer right there and I love him for it.

Yeah, if you ever see Vitale on Espn Classic doing games back in the 80's, he was really good and insightful. Not any more!

At least we have Bob Knight providing insight these days.

BD80
10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
... It'd be tough to call him better than Durant was in HS, but at least an argument could be made. Its almost impossible for him to achieve Durant's success as a Freshman, however.

I believe that was intended as a complement, implying that Harrison could be a consensus player of the year and an exciting offensive player. However, I think that in some ways, the comparison is not apt.

Harrison at Duke could well be player of the year, but would be a much more well rounded player. With he, Nolan and Kyrie pushing the ball and penetrating, and with Andre and Seth setting up at the three-point line, and Miles, Mason and Ryan cutting to the basket, I think Harrison could be a comparable offensive machine (lower ppg, but more apg). With Harrison's work ethic, skill set, and good coaching, I think Harrison will be viewed as more of a Grant Hill player, a player who can do everything on the court, including point forward, and is considered a very good defender.

Durant is a top player, but he is not a well-rounded player:

The Thunder have, over the last two years, consistently performed worse than normal when Durant is on the floor. Any way you slice the +/- numbers, he's one of the Thunder's worst players.
In fact, almost nobody on the Thunder has a +/- rating as poor as Durant's. Winston rates Durant's performance "in the lowest 10% of all NBA players."

... Durant is an absolute gem of a keeper. You can't teach size and mobility. It's hard to teach that kind of feel for getting the ball in the hole. There are times in games when nothing matters more than being able to reliably create your own shot and he already has that. The things he doesn't have -- and nobody denies they exist -- can and will be learned. ...

Meanwhile, the things that make him inefficient -- mediocre passing, forcing some shots, turnovers, not making teammates better, and of course bad defense -- are all things that improve ...
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-45-35/The-Kevin-Durant-Conundrum.html

verga
10-14-2009, 11:06 PM
i think the Grant Hill comparison is a good one. I believe (jmo) that Barnes is better entering college than Battier was. I certainly think he has a chance to have an exceptional freshman year, i just hope it's in Durham.:)

Kedsy
10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
i think the Grant Hill comparison is a good one. I believe (jmo) that Barnes is better entering college than Battier was. I certainly think he has a chance to have an exceptional freshman year, i just hope it's in Durham.:)

Shane Battier won national high school player of the year in his senior year. Harrison Barnes may do the same, but I'm not so sure you can say with any degree of confidence that he's better than Battier was. Because Shane's first two years at Duke were relatively quiet (compared to his last two years), I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.

SupaDave
10-15-2009, 12:00 AM
I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.

Because it's much easier to talk about the unknown than to research what is known...

To be honest, I look at what Harrison is doing and I'm amazed. The attention he's received in the last few years has been tremendous. He's writing diaries. He's addressing rumors. He's dropping 50. He's walking to school. He's delivering babies on airplanes on the way to Midnight Madness at schools where they HAVE people to worship - but alas, they wait on Harrison.

This kid is actually making me enjoy the recruiting process. It's been methodical and it's not OJ Mayo on campus one day to destroy your program. He's SERIOUS about this...

And he's gonna enjoy it. He mentions many of the players that he plays with by name. He knows he won't play with them all but he knows he'll definitely play AGAINST some of them. He's taking it all in and he'll be a better recruit for whatever school he chooses because of it.

MChambers
10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Shane Battier won national high school player of the year in his senior year. Harrison Barnes may do the same, but I'm not so sure you can say with any degree of confidence that he's better than Battier was. Because Shane's first two years at Duke were relatively quiet (compared to his last two years), I think people forget how good he was coming out of high school.

I usually agree with you, Kedsy, but my impression of Battier his first two years was that he was amazing on defense, but very, very hesitant on offense. Shane won the Wooten award, or something like that, but I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.

JG Nothing
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I usually agree with you, Kedsy, but my impression of Battier his first two years was that he was amazing on defense, but very, very hesitant on offense. Shane won the Wooten award, or something like that, but I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.

Battier had offensive skills coming out of high school. He won the three point shooting contest at the McDonalds game. IIRC, he hit two threes during his freshman Blue/White game. Battier always played the role needed on the team. If they had needed more offense his first two years, I suspect we would have seen more of it.

Kedsy
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think anyone thought he was the most talented player coming out of high school.

Shane Battier won the 1997 Naismith national high school player of the year award. So somebody thought he was the best player.

This is a big time award, that went to Kobe in 1996, LeBron in 2003, Dwight Howard in 2004, and many other top players. Last year it was awarded to Derrick Favors.

El_Diablo
10-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Let's just hope Harrison doesn't get jumped by the Kansas football team this weekend.

Kedsy
10-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Heck, Duhon won the award his sr year, but most of the top players in that class were jerks, academic no shows, or worse. And there were no stand out super talents those years.

Actually, Duhon did not win the Naismith award. Gerald Wallace was the Naismith winner in 2000 (Duhon's senior year of high school).

yancem
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Actually, Duhon did not win the Naismith award. Gerald Wallace was the Naismith winner in 2000 (Duhon's senior year of high school).

I believe that Duhon won the McD's or Gatorade player of the year award.

BD80
10-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Doesn't sound like bonding to me:

Top-ranked Harrison Barnes did not play pickup with the Kansas players on Friday afternoon. Said his body was sore from all the two-a-days.
about 1 hour ago from web

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

FireOgilvie
10-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Doesn't sound like bonding to me:

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

I really can't see Harrison going to KU after the recent crime wave that has hit the basketball team. Also, in that 20 questions SI article it talks about the Henry brothers and how they trained at home instead of with the team this summer and that Mr. Henry said CJ is already better than Sherron Collins, which is obviously a lie. Mr. Henry also said Xavier is definitely a one and done. Sounds like a terrible situation down there that he would be smart to avoid. I'm sure all of of their best players will be gone after this year though (Collins, Aldrich, Henry to the NBA).

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-17-2009, 06:57 PM
When is Harrison's Duke visit again?

El_Diablo
10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
When is Harrison's Duke visit again?

next weekend

Bluedevil114
10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Harrison visits Friday, October 23rd

-bdbd
10-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Let's just hope Harrison doesn't get jumped by the Kansas football team this weekend.

LOL!
Great line Diablo!

Is it just me, or do others get the sense that the greater threat may have shifted from Laurence to Chapel Hell? (Of course that sense may be influenced by our proximity to faded-blue central...

loran16
10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
LOL!
Great line Diablo!

Is it just me, or do others get the sense that the greater threat may have shifted from Laurence to Chapel Hell? (Of course that sense may be influenced by our proximity to faded-blue central...

I think this is more of us fearing UNC getting him more than KU getting him, personally. It's probably about equal.

BD80
10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I hope Harrison has more fun at Duke than he seemed to at the Phog:

http://www2.kusports.com/photos/galleries/2009/oct/16/late-night-phog-2009/63633/

Big weekend for us. I hope he bonds well with Andre, Seth and Mason. It is time for Coach K to close the deal!

BD80
10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Harrison was too sore from working out to play pick-up game with KU players on Friday.

On Saturday:

After KU's practice, most recruits went to lunch or left campus. Not Harrison Barnes. He got in a workout in an empty gym. Impressive.
1:59 PM Oct 17th from web

http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS

This young man sounds nearly too good to be true!

JasonEvans
10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
A series of posts have been removed from this thread. Lets be careful about what we repeat from overheard conversations, ok folks? That is at least a mild invasion of privacy and DBR would like us to steer clear of it.

--JE

budwom
10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm less concerned about overheard conversations than fabricated ones.

BD80
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Not much buzz coming out of Harrison's OV to KU

Barnes, 6-8 senior from Ames (Iowa) High ranked No. 2 in the Class of 2010, also made the trip to Kansas. He told Rivals on Sunday he was not yet ready to comment on his visit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/10/19/lamb-selby-barnes-trip-to-kansas/#more-23471

nyr484
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
A series of posts have been removed from this thread. Lets be careful about what we repeat from overheard conversations, ok folks? That is at least a mild invasion of privacy and DBR would like us to steer clear of it.

--JE

The mods here are so serious, lol. Now I'm curious about these removed posts.

Anyway, to put DBR's mind at ease, it would only be an invasion of privacy if the people conversing were in a place where they would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Public places usually don't qualify. And at any rate I don't think DBR would have anything to worry about because it's just the message board. It would be a different story if the front page posted an article regarding an overheard conversation.

So was this juicy information actually interesting or just mostly baseless speculation like the rest of this thread.

budwom
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Was it juicy info or baseless speculation?
My vote would be it was neither....more along the lines of concocted jive.
I did note the magic disappearance of the posts, and I'm fine with whatever Jason et al decided to do, but I kind of thought the responses to the post in question were taking care of the situation rather nicely all by themselves.

BD80
10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
The mods here are so serious, lol. Now I'm curious about these removed posts.

Anyway, to put DBR's mind at ease, it would only be an invasion of privacy if the people conversing were in a place where they would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Public places usually don't qualify. And at any rate I don't think DBR would have anything to worry about because it's just the message board. It would be a different story if the front page posted an article regarding an overheard conversation.

So was this juicy information actually interesting or just mostly baseless speculation like the rest of this thread.

If Harrison is unavailable to testify, a hearsay objection could be overcome.

It might inadmissible as irrelevant to the existence of a binding contract, but could be relevant to the issue of Harrison's state of mind with respect to potential negotiations this weekend.

Carolina fans would certainly object that the testimony was highly prejudicial.

nyr484
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
If Harrison is unavailable to testify, a hearsay objection could be overcome.

It might inadmissible as irrelevant to the existence of a binding contract, but could be relevant to the issue of Harrison's state of mind with respect to potential negotiations this weekend.

Carolina fans would certainly object that the testimony was highly prejudicial.

LOL. Admissible as a present-sense impression?

BD80
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
LOL. Admissible as a present-sense impression?

My hope is an excited utterance.

JasonEvans
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Was it juicy info or baseless speculation?
My vote would be it was neither....more along the lines of concocted jive.
I did note the magic disappearance of the posts, and I'm fine with whatever Jason et al decided to do, but I kind of thought the responses to the post in question were taking care of the situation rather nicely all by themselves.

Not that it matters, but the posts were deleted by another mod and I just decided to post something to explain why so many posts had disappeared.

--Jason "FWIW, the overheard conversation was hardly something juicy, IMO" Evans

Tim1515
10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
There is a Iowa St fan on the rivals board that is posting that Barnes will be a blue devil. Take it for what it's worth...probably nothing...but where there is smoke there's fire right?

sagegrouse
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Not that it matters, but the posts were deleted by another mod and I just decided to post something to explain why so many posts had disappeared.

--Jason "FWIW, the overheard conversation was hardly something juicy, IMO" Evans

Walking on egg shells,
Holding its breath.
If DBR knows something,
We can only gueth.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Walking on egg shells,
Holding its breath.
If DBR knows something,
We can only gueth.

sagegrouse

Beautifully structured potry. :D

superdave
10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Duke has open practice tomorrow. Will Barnes attend and watch? I assume he cannot be in a formal practice but will play pickup with everyone later. Anyone know the rules?

And if somehow Kyrie were to be there for some weekend pickup games...well...that would be cool too.

Super "Practice!? You're talking about practice!?" Dave

airowe
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Duke has open practice tomorrow. Will Barnes attend and watch? I assume he cannot be in a formal practice but will play pickup with everyone later. Anyone know the rules?

And if somehow Kyrie were to be there for some weekend pickup games...well...that would be cool too.

Super "Practice!? You're talking about practice!?" Dave

Can't practice but can certainly play pickup games.

UrinalCake
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Can't practice but can certainly play pickup games.

What's the difference? Is there an assumption that the coaches cannot be in attendance for pickup games?

watzone
10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Duke is prepping for Harrison Barnes visit - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/10/harrison-barnes-is-set-to-visit-duke-this-weekend/

jv001
10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Duke is prepping for Harrison Barnes visit - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/10/harrison-barnes-is-set-to-visit-duke-this-weekend/

Great update on Harrison's recruitment Mark. Good to hear factual infomation from you and BDN. Looking forward to hearing some good news around 5:30 today and then some great news on Nov. 12th. Go Duke!

RainingThrees
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Come on Harrison Kyrie is on board and its your turn. Too bad we don't have Andre Dawkins out on the recruiting trail.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know when Harrison will be on campus?

airowe
10-22-2009, 07:35 PM
http://notesfromtheslushpile.co.uk/uploaded_images/harrison_ford-729403.jpg

http://www.myshadowbox.com/Images/2barns_350.jpg

jipops
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM

great stuff!

Huh?
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
hahahahahaa...Incredible!!

Bsim412
10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
From I hightly talented source I spoke to said that he thinks Barnes could commit on the spot to Duke this weekend :)

MChambers
10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
From I hightly talented source I spoke to said that he thinks Barnes could commit on the spot to Duke this weekend :)

Yes, he could, and he could not. This is news? Give Barnes his space! He seems like a great fit for Duke, but let him think carefully about his choices. I know we're all excited about Irving, but let Barnes take his time.

DukeSean
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

I also heard a voice in my head saying the same thing. Must be legit conjecture.

Not that it wouldn't totally make my week/month/semester.

G man
10-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I like the recruiting of both of these guys. Obviously we are not involved with Knight any longer, but they keep everything to themselves. What they decide is unkown to the general public.

superdave
10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
If Kentucky is so involved with Knight (based on what I've seen) why did they get so upset about losing Irving if they already have Wall and Bledsoe? Those folks are delusional.

Any links on Barnes today?

BlueintheFace
10-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I would be SHOCKED id Barnes committed on the spot. Incredibly shocked. It would go against the way he has handled his entire recruitment.... but I hope it happens.

UrinalCake
10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
If Kentucky is so involved with Knight (based on what I've seen) why did they get so upset about losing Irving if they already have Wall and Bledsoe? Those folks are delusional.

My guess is that it had more to do with us getting him than them losing him. Also, they probably don't expect Wall to be around next year, and maybe not Bledsoe either.

madscavenger
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM

Hmmm, hadn't heard that Harrison was interested in Stanford.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
My guess is that it had more to do with us getting him than them losing him. Also, they probably don't expect Wall to be around next year, and maybe not Bledsoe either.

Why would they lose Bledsoe? You think he'll go pro? I haven't heard that before.

airowe
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Hmmm, hadn't heard that Harrison was interested in Stanford.

Harrison barns.

madscavenger
10-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Harrison barns.

Kinda like water on Mars, eh?

http://i38.tinypic.com/ji2ihk.jpg

crimsonandblue
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Here's Barnes' take (http://www.highschoolhoop.com/high-school-stories/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-kansas/#more-1766)on his Kansas visit. Nothing special in the report. Presumption around here is that Kansas had a bunch of ground to make up and there are significant doubts as to whether the ground could be made up.

Kfanarmy
10-23-2009, 11:41 AM

He may not be available this year either, if they don't figure out the eligibility issues...that would be kinda poetic.

Blueequalslife23
10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
saw last night on Nolans Ustream that he's going with Dawkins for the day...That could be good because I remember hearing that Andre and him are good friends!

yancem
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Why would they lose Bledsoe? You think he'll go pro? I haven't heard that before.

I don't think that it is too likely that Bledsoe is one-and-done player from a talent stand point (especially if Wall is eligible and hogging the minutes) but there have been rumors about Bledsoe having difficulties becoming academically eligible. If he struggles with his course load or decides he's not terribly interested in studying, this could lead to an earlier than expected departure.

Also, if KU signs either Knight or Selby and he does end up riding the pine this year do to the presence of Wall, he may decide to transfer in order to get more playing time.

Duke79UNLV77
10-23-2009, 12:51 PM
any game at UNC that does not involve Duke or a 100-year celebration.

I was concerned about the comparison of the UNC uber-event to our scheduling Pfeiffer, but on second thought maybe this can highlight a positive distinction between the schools. They have to work to avoid a wine-and-cheese crowd effect, and our crowd brings it every game.

El_Diablo
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
any game at UNC that does not involve Duke or a 100-year celebration.

I was concerned about the comparison of the UNC uber-event to our scheduling Pfeiffer, but on second thought maybe this can highlight a positive distinction between the schools. They have to work to avoid a wine-and-cheese crowd effect, and our crowd brings it every game.

It's important to keep in mind that Harrison already saw a Duke-UNC game in Cameron (last season) as well.

should_be_working
10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Have there been any signs around campus for HB like there was for Kyrie? This visit doesn't seem to have the buzz that the Kyrie visit did, or at least it doesn't from afar. Perhaps the commitment by Kyrie has overshadowed it a bit?

El_Diablo
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Have there been any signs around campus for HB like there was for Kyrie? This visit doesn't seem to have the buzz that the Kyrie visit did, or at least it doesn't from afar. Perhaps the commitment by Kyrie has overshadowed it a bit?

Oh, there's buzz...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17471

loran16
10-23-2009, 01:44 PM

See earlier in this thread, or this:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/10/23/duke-welcomes-harrison-barnes/

Remember, that the signs for Kyrie were illegal.

CY_devil
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, quite a bit of buzz :)

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/10/23/duke-welcomes-harrison-barnes/

CY

should_be_working
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, there's buzz...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17471

Wow, I feel stupid, I read the first post in that thread a while ago and it went over my head (thankfully its friday). That's pretty clever.

diveonthefloor
10-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Has anyone seen HB on campus yet today?

Does anyone know the itinerary for his visit?

FireOgilvie
10-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't think that it is too likely that Bledsoe is one-and-done player from a talent stand point (especially if Wall is eligible and hogging the minutes) but there have been rumors about Bledsoe having difficulties becoming academically eligible. If he struggles with his course load or decides he's not terribly interested in studying, this could lead to an earlier than expected departure.

Also, if KU signs either Knight or Selby and he does end up riding the pine this year do to the presence of Wall, he may decide to transfer in order to get more playing time.

There's been a ton of buzz out of Kentucky that Bledsoe is looking nearly as good as Wall and that they will be starting together. Although I don't expect it to happen, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bledsoe had a really good year and then went pro.

Back to Harrison.

I'm pumped for this weekend.

JaMarcus Russell
10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I have heard the same about Bledsoe looking very good so far. I also read an article about how Calipari says that Wall is further ahead in his development than Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose. I thought the same thing myself when I saw him play, so this isn't really surprising.

If I had to guess, Wall will be one and done, and then Bledsoe will be the main guy as a sophomore (and may go pro after his 2nd season). If UK can't land a true point guard for the 2010 class, this may be the reason.

BlueDster
10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I went to today's open practice and HB was in attendance. There was applause and cheering when he walked in and during quiet moments there were several HB-related cheers. He waved to the crowd and was wearing a Duke shirt under his jacket.

-bdbd
10-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Those of us not in the RTP area are quite anxious to hear how H's visit is going. Keep us up on Harrison sightings!! I loved the "National C_amps" signage. Good stuff.

Hope it doesn't rain on the game tomorrow, and hope the football team puts on a good show/win!! I'm sure we'll get reports from the exhibition BB game too. Just want to see that he's enjoying himself, etc.

Cheers!!

-BDBD :D

Newton_14
10-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Those of us not in the RTP area are quite anxious to hear how H's visit is going. Keep us up on Harrison sightings!! I loved the "National C_amps" signage. Good stuff.

Hope it doesn't rain on the game tomorrow, and hope the football team puts on a good show/win!! I'm sure we'll get reports from the exhibition BB game too. Just want to see that he's enjoying himself, etc.

Cheers!!

-BDBD :D

I shared this in the open practice thread but in case you missed it, the last hour or more of the practice while Collins and Wojo were running the team thru drills, K was sitting with HB talking shop. A nice long conversation. I got a pic that I may post later. Let's hope he was closing the deal!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
How long is barnes visiting for?

ChicagoCrazy84
10-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I think most official visits last until the end of the weekend. He'll probably head back home Sunday morning or afternoon.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing KI didn't make it down to duke today?

roywhite
10-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I think most official visits last until the end of the weekend. He'll probably head back home Sunday morning or afternoon.

Official visits are limited to 48 hours on campus. For Barnes (and others set it up the same) that time extends from Friday morning to Sunday morning. Sunday breakfast with Coach K is probably the last event.

airowe
10-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm guessing KI didn't make it down to duke today?

No, that was an unfounded rumor. This weekend is about Barnes, and Barnes only. As it should be...

Bluedevil114
10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
No, that was an unfounded rumor. This weekend is about Barnes, and Barnes only. As it should be...

Kyrie and Harrison talk all the time so there is no need to have Kyrie on campus. I am sure they have already spoken a few times while Harrison is on his visit. Kyrie and Andre are doing their best to recruit Harrison. That is more than enough.

Kyrie's announcement was perfect timing. It should definitely increase our chances!! GO DUKE!!

-bdbd
10-24-2009, 06:24 PM
OK - to contributors in Durham, any Harrison sightings today around campus? I'm sure that he was at the football game, and will be in Cameron tonight...

Need my fix! Gotta have... ;)

BTW, for those closer to the program, can you share what happens on a *typical* OV? Is it jam-packed scheduling, or more about relationship-building, etc.? Visiting some classes, touring the Chapel, campus, academic buildings, dorms, etc. Probably lots of stuff over by the practice facility - maybe briefing the recruit on how he'll be used if he comes, what his academic sked might be like, etc.? Maybe take in a party or two Sat night? :confused:

- bdbd

somf4eva
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
OK - to contributors in Durham, any Harrison sightings today around campus?
- bdbd

Harrison is seated with mom and sis at Coach K's side before Pfeiffer game.

per twitter bluedevilnation

diesel
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
"Harrison is seated with mom and sis at Coach K's side before Pfeiffer game."

Who in -ell arranged that? No self respecting mother would send her kid to Duke after listening to Coach K's language!

Indoor66
10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
"Harrison is seated with mom and sis at Coach K's side before Pfeiffer game."

Who in -ell arranged that? No self respecting mother would send her kid to Duke after listening to Coach K's language!

I am sure that at 62, K can control his language better than you can. ;)

Devilsfan
10-24-2009, 10:16 PM
The respect he shows for his late mother I don't think he said anything upsetting with Mrs. Barnes next to him. It was probably something like "excuse me Ryan next time please try and fill the passing lane".

Newton_14
10-24-2009, 10:36 PM
One interesting note. When they escorted Harrison and his family in and took them to their seats, Harrison asked the escort if he could go over to where the team was warming up. The guy said ok so HB walked over and stood on the baseline in front of the band to watch the guys doing their layup drills.

He was chatting it up with the walkon that doesn't dress out and Seth. They were cutting up and laughing and he seemed to be enjoying himself..

And his mom did love that sign of Harrison Ford and the two Barns. That was cool and she got a great kick out of it..

That was the one sign/signs that did not get confiscated though the two kids holding the signs were both wearing "That's H" shirts and security made them put on shirts to cover them up.. Darn rules!!!

Go Duke! And Harrison Barnes Come To Duke, this is Home!!

diesel
10-25-2009, 07:36 AM
I’m intrigued: please tell me about the sign Harrison’s Mom was pleased with: “that sign of Harrison Ford and the two Barns.”
And maybe I underestimated what the old fox would do on the language front. I can see him now trying to impress Mrs Barnes with higher ed speak:
“Guys. Let’s get our crania out of our recta!”

Native
10-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I’m intrigued: please tell me about the sign Harrison’s Mom was pleased with: “that sign of Harrison Ford and the two Barns.”

It was two Duke students that somehow managed to get seats right behind the Barnes family. One held up a picture of Harrison Ford and the other held up a ClipArt graphic of two Barns. Momma Barnes got a kick out of this, and nudged Harrison who turned around and smiled. Kudos to those two students, they really chatted with the Barnes family and they looked absolutely thrilled with Duke. The two students got the Crazies to do "Harrison Barnes, Come to Duke" and Momma Barnes whipped out a camera and started taking a video/picture of the Crazies and the "Tradition of Excellence Continues" banner.

Devil's Advocate
10-25-2009, 09:37 AM
And maybe I underestimated what the old fox would do on the language front. I can see him now trying to impress Mrs Barnes with higher ed speak:
“Guys. Let’s get our crania out of our recta!”

At various points during the game last night, students sitting a couple of rows behind _arrison held up two signs beside each other. The first was a dated b/w head shot of Harrison Ford followed by a picture of several barns. Pretty straight forward and pretty clever.

moonpie23
10-25-2009, 10:28 AM
it is NEVER a bad thing for "mama" to be able to say: "my son goes to duke university".......

it all reads as though the crazies and the staff did their jobs providing an excellent job for HB and his family's OV....now the waiting begins, but i feel good about it...

AlaskanAssassin
10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
hmm..so if H is leaving early today, does that mean he wont have a pick up game with the boys?

roywhite
10-25-2009, 11:48 AM
hmm..so if H is leaving early today, does that mean he wont have a pick up game with the boys?

Well, he might have a pick up game with his buddies in Ames, Iowa.

Only 48 hours allowed for on-campus visits; HB was on campus Friday morning and was scheduled to finish up this morning with a breakfast with Coach K. He's probably almost back to Iowa at this point.

chrisheery
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Couldn't he have played pickup during the football game yesterday? Coach K said in his post game comments that he wished he could have been there but was recruiting during that time. I would imagine a pickup game might have been involved, even on game day. No?

BlueintheFace
10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Couldn't he have played pickup during the football game yesterday? Coach K said in his post game comments that he wished he could have been there but was recruiting during that time. I would imagine a pickup game might have been involved, even on game day. No?

I actually don't think those pickup games are allowed after the season starts. Can anybody confirm this rule.

rhcpflea99
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Anybody know how it went?

airowe
10-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I actually don't think those pickup games are allowed after the season starts. Can anybody confirm this rule.

Yep, you're right. Recruits can't play with the team after practice officially starts.

rhcpflea99
10-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Well I'm guessing Barnes didn't hint to Duke as much a Irving did his visit.:(

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Or maybe he decided just to tell the coaches.

duketaylor
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Visit went very well, we'll hear something Nov 12th.

airowe
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
We'll hear about the visit straight from Barnes' mouth this week:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/high-school-stories/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-kansas/

superdave
10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Will the Duke staff have any more opportunities to meet with HB? Or is it limited to phone calls, letters and texts at this point!?

November 12 is not too far away.

airowe
10-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Will the Duke staff have any more opportunities to meet with HB? Or is it limited to phone calls, letters and texts at this point!?

November 12 is not too far away.

There are no more contacts remaining between the Duke staff (face-to-face, speaking. meetings) but there may be an evaluation left.

Honestly, at this point I'm sure Barnes and the Duke staff know where each other stand so there's really not much more to be said.

superdave
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
So no chance of a Billy Donovan fly to Ames to wave for 30 seconds type stunt!?

Barnes has UCLA and ISU left to go, right?

Super "Roscoe Smith's 'decision' seems strange" Dave

sagegrouse
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Reminds me of Carlos Boozer ten years ago, but without the attendant publicity. Carlos did not announce a decision until the end of the spring recruiting period his senior year, choosing to get all of the available information on who was going where and who might be leaving. Yet Duke knew that he was coming, as long as it did not sign someone else at his position. I believe it was known that Brand was leaving well ahead of the time Carlos committed.

I suspect that Roscoe's chosen school knows the situation. It is in Roscoe's interest to ensure that it does, in order not to have his chosen school recruit players that might drive him away (unless, of course, they are better than Roscoe). We'll see if the secret holds.

sagegrouse
'I could talk myself into thinking that Roscoe is waiting for the HB decision -- but no, I won't go there'

bigj4194
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM

Barnes has already had UCLA i'm pretty sure http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748. The ISU visit is an unofficial one as he can't visit more than 5 schools officially.

AlaskanAssassin
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Barnes has already had UCLA i'm pretty sure http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3142748. The ISU visit is an unofficial one as he can't visit more than 5 schools officially.

The UCLA date got moved back. He is visiting UCLA this coming up weekend.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
It's surprising to see UCLA still on his radar. They are going to be going through some rebuilding the next few years. It might change if they're able to snag Josh Smith, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose their grip on the Pac 10 for a while. Oregon State is only going to get better, same with Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

moonpie23
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
the UCLA with 11 banners hanging? The UCLA on the West Coast? swimming pools? movie stars? That UCLA?

camion
10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
the UCLA with 11 banners hanging? The UCLA on the West Coast? swimming pools? movie stars? That UCLA?

Unless there's another one on the east coast like there is with USC. :)

roywhite
10-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Well, certainly they've got all the history, and an excellent coach also.

Yet I think it's interesting that UCLA has become much more of a West Coast school in terms of appeal and recruiting base. Look at their current roster.
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ucla-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Just speculating, but maybe Coach Howland figures (with some justification) that he can get the talent he needs from the West Coast. Or that UCLA does not have the national popularity of UNC, Duke, or Kentucky because their style of play is slower?

BD80
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
... The UCLA on the West Coast? swimming pools? movie stars? ...

Are you suggesting he loadin' up the truck and move to Beverly?

In some respects, it sounds like Kyrie and Harrison could be a phenomenal combination. Based upon the way they have handled their recruiting, Kyrie seems more gregarious and impulsive, whereas Harrison is more controlled and analytical.

Coach K values leadership as dearly as talent (eg: Paulus, Greg), and with Kyrie and Harrison he would have two incredible leaders with incredible talent.

They both have personality and passion, but it could be a "fire and ice" type combination.

kong123
10-26-2009, 05:13 PM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2009/10/24/22/dukeballb_0001.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.JPG

Tim1515
10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Are you suggesting he loadin' up the truck and move to Beverly?

In some respects, it sounds like Kyrie and Harrison could be a phenomenal combination. Based upon the way they have handled their recruiting, Kyrie seems more gregarious and impulsive, whereas Harrison is more controlled and analytical.

Coach K values leadership as dearly as talent (eg: Paulus, Greg), and with Kyrie and Harrison he would have two incredible leaders with incredible talent.

They both have personality and passion, but it could be a "fire and ice" type combination.

This is kind off the point a little of your statement but Greg was rated a top 10 player in most recruiting circles...so it wasn't just his leadership. I think Thornton is a better example for you to use.

I wouldn't call Kyrie impulsive either...i just think he enjoyed the fame a little more...Barnes is 100% focused on making the right choice for him.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Just a question that recently has crossed my mind: Has Duke ever had a player from Iowa on the team since Coach K? Iowa certainly isn't a basketball hotbed, but anyone at all? I know we've had players from Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Oklahoma, and seemingly every other state in the midwest, but can't think of anyone from Iowa.

JasonEvans
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Just a question that recently has crossed my mind: Has Duke ever had a player from Iowa on the team since Coach K? Iowa certainly isn't a basketball hotbed, but anyone at all? I know we've had players from Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Oklahoma, and seemingly every other state in the midwest, but can't think of anyone from Iowa.

Here is the entire list (as far as I can tell) of Duke basketball players from the great state of Iowa:

Billy Huiskamp - Keokuk, Iowa - 1934-36

--Jason "I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Barnes would be the best player from Iowa in Duke history!!" Evans

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
--Jason "I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Barnes would be the best player from Iowa in Duke history!!" Evans

That's a bold statement my friend but i think you might be right.

mgtr
10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
But not the best player associated with Iowa. Some would think of Don Nelson, an Iowa grad but from an Illinois high school, but I think of Connie Hawkins, a kid who really got reamed in a number of ways, but still made a mark doing what only he could do. However, not an Iowa native, a NYC kid who started at Iowa and got caught up in a point-shaving scandal in which he was not a participant! I am sure there are others who have an Iowa link, but still no Duke link.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
HB>>>>Don Nelson

I don't know about the NYC kid. From first hand experience, New York Breeds the best ballers. P.S. KI is from the Bronx

airowe
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
HB>>>>Don Nelson

I don't know about the NYC kid. From first hand experience, New York Breeds the best ballers. P.S. KI is from the Bronx

Your geography is a little off:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3827088

Elizabeth, NJ != Bronx.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
He is FROM the Bronx, doesn't mean he lives there now.

roywhite
10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
He is FROM the Bronx, doesn't mean he lives there now.

There's definitely a Bronx connection, since Kyrie's father Drederick grew up in the Bronx.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/06/21/kyrie.irving/index.html#

Really good article from SI this summer on Drederick and Kyrie...don't recall seeing this before.

A few "did you know?" factoids about Kyrie:

Born in Australia
Father worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, leaving 6 months before 9/11 disaster.
Drederick was the all-time leading scorer at Boston U. when he left (after playing against Duke in NCAA tourny)
Kyrie lost his mother when he was only 4 years old

Glad to have both Kyrie and Drederick as part of the Duke program.

duketaylor
10-26-2009, 11:02 PM
FWIW, I 've read that some think HB is the best HS player since LeBron and the best to-be college player in 10 years. Duke stands a very good chance with Harrison, I'll not say more;)

speedevil2001
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
FWIW, I 've read that some think HB is the best HS player since LeBron and the best to-be college player in 10 years. Duke stands a very good chance with Harrison, I'll not say more;)

lebron comparison!! thats way off. not even close. i think harrison is gonna be great but not close to lebron. not even close to kevin durant or carmelo.
i dont think we should start comparing harrison to anyone. let him be the best player he can be....at duke!!

Blueequalslife23
10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
lebron comparison!! thats way off. not even close. i think harrison is gonna be great but not close to lebron. not even close to kevin durant or carmelo.
i dont think we should start comparing harrison to anyone. let him be the best player he can be....at duke!!

It doesn't say he's Lebron, it says he's the best SINCE Lebron.

devilboomer
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Harrison is the best player in the last few years, I think. But at the same time I've heard many analysts say that Michael Gilchrist is the best HS player in any class right now.

Let the recruiting analysts debate that point. All I know is that HB is a top tier talent and would make our team a legit championship contender.

speedevil2001
10-27-2009, 01:02 AM
It doesn't say he's Lebron, it says he's the best SINCE Lebron.

well lets take a look at all the guys rated #1 in HS since lebron..

2004: d. howard
2005: j. mcroberts
2006: g. oden
2007: oj mayo
2008: b. jennings
2009: d. favors

wow the best since lebron..i dont think so.
barnes could be better than a few of those guys but not the best since.
that list doesnt even include john wall, derrick rose, and kevin durant, which i think all 3 of those guys are better than barnes.

dukeballer2294
10-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Honestly nowadays with the aau teams and leagues out there, there are many players who are well beyond their years in skill and experience. There is no longer an amazing player every decade there are now multiple studs in every class... ie Barnes, Knight, Sullinger etc. Only time will tell however how these great HS players will translate into the college game and beyond

Greg_Newton
10-27-2009, 01:37 AM

that list doesnt even include john wall, derrick rose, and kevin durant, which i think all 3 of those guys are better than barnes.

What exactly are you basing this on? Have you ever seen Harrison Barnes play an entire game? I'm guessing probably not.

You (or I, for that matter) really have no idea how good Harrison Barnes will be... therefore I don't know how you can contradict statements made by the folks that scout high schoolers for a living in such certain terms.

FireOgilvie
10-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Carmelo averaged 22 and 10 and won a national championship.

Durant averaged 25 and 11.

Beasley averaged 26 and 12.

Harrison has yet to play his senior basketball season in high school.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Let's also remember how lucky we are to have him strongly considering us at this point.

superdave
10-27-2009, 02:06 AM
There are also multiple flops in every high school class. If you look at the sure bets of the last ten years, some are flops. Dejuan Wagner, Kwame Brown and....the great Darko Milicic come to mind.

Let's worry about college first. Actually, let's worry about November 12 first!

mgtr
10-27-2009, 02:31 AM
HB>>>>Don Nelson

I don't know about the NYC kid.

I agree that HB is better than Don Nelson, but I went to high school with Don, and had to throw that in. I think Don has gotten more from the skills he had that any other player I can think of. If you don't know about Connie Hawkins, it might be worth learning a little. If he had come along today, he would have been a superstar out of the box.

NYC Duke Fan
10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
I agree that HB is better than Don Nelson, but I went to high school with Don, and had to throw that in. I think Don has gotten more from the skills he had that any other player I can think of. If you don't know about Connie Hawkins, it might be worth learning a little. If he had come along today, he would have been a superstar out of the box.

You are absolutely correct. I played a little basketball at Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn..with Billy Cunningham, the same time that Roger Brown played at Wingate High School and Connie Hawkins played at Boys High School.

We actually scrimmaged Boys High School and let me tell you that Hawkins was off the charts...he could play point guard as well as center and was unstoppable.

If I am not mistaken, and I could be, his , " crime", was not reporting something illegal..he never did anything. He was a star in the ABL with Pittsburgh and the player that he was often compared to was Doctor J.

mgtr
10-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Right across the board. Great talent, little coaching. If he had been able to spend four years in college, he would have a true superstar.

slower
10-27-2009, 06:03 AM
He was a star in the ABL with Pittsburgh and the player that he was often compared to was Doctor J.

He came along 10 years BEFORE The Doc, so he wasn't "compared" to him until the end of his career.

NYDukie
10-27-2009, 08:08 AM

I'll take all the "greatest since" rhetoric from recruiting analysts with a grain of salt considering their prime objective is to sell their recruiting websites and magazines. I enjoy and appreciate their breakdown of recruits they provide but when they say this player is "he best since", I kind of chuckle. Just seems like yesterday that Howard was the best of the "greatest" recruiting class ever, Oden the best big man recruit ever and Mayo possibly one of the greatest hyped.

Let's just agree that HB is one of the difference makers with NBA potential of this class that will impact whichever team he chooses to sign with.

NYC Duke Fan
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
He came along 10 years BEFORE The Doc, so he wasn't "compared" to him until the end of his career.

You are absolutely correct. It wasn't until after his career that he was compared to Doctor J. Sorry, I did not mean to say that when he was actively playing that he was compared to Julius.

slower
10-27-2009, 09:09 AM
You are absolutely correct. It wasn't until after his career that he was compared to Doctor J. Sorry, I did not mean to say that when he was actively playing that he was compared to Julius.

I just wanted to clarify for some of our younger board members who might have thought they were contemporaries ;)

I would imagine The Hawk may have been one of Doc's basketball role models.

DukieBoy
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Call me lazy, but I didn't want to weed through 63 pages of posts to find this out, but where do we honestly stand in recruiting with HB? I know what a special talent he is and would love to have him, but what's the odds of getting him?

Thanks

BD80
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Call me lazy, but I didn't want to weed through 63 pages of posts to find this out, but where do we honestly stand in recruiting with HB? I know what a special talent he is and would love to have him, but what's the odds of getting him?

Thanks

Even money. Either we get him, or we don't.

Anyone that knows is not talking.

roywhite
10-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks

No inside info, but from following this recruitment, I'd say the Duke staff likes our chances of landing HB. He seems like a great fit for Duke, both basketball and otherwise. He and Coach K appear to have developed a strong relationship. The on campus visit apparently went well, and was enjoyed by HB and other family members.

HB has played it close to the vest, and probably will do so until announcing sometime near the beginning of signing period, which is November 11. Duke made it's pitch and it was a good one.

What will be, will be. Or perhaps we should say:

"K" Sera Sera

should_be_working
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Anyone that knows is not talking.

I find this interesting. After the Irving visit this place was buzzing with happy thoughts and winks, but its been very quiet after the Barnes visit. This makes me think that no one really knows, or that its not good news, or they don't want to make the same comments as they did with Kyrie. Either way, its a mystery for those of us not in the know.

Taco
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I find this interesting. After the Irving visit this place was buzzing with happy thoughts and winks, but its been very quiet after the Barnes visit. This makes me think that no one really knows, or that its not good news, or they don't want to make the same comments as they did with Kyrie. Either way, its a mystery for those of us not in the know.

Well, there's also a difference in how Barnes is handling his recruitment compared to Irving. Barnes is writing those diary things but they seem fairly sanitized, he just says the same nice things about everyone and is clinical about cataloging exactly what happened on the visit. And other than those, he's playing things pretty close to the vest, as far as I can tell anyway (I'm not on any kind of premium site). Irving, on the other hand, was twittering and ustreaming up a storm, and dropped a lot more hints about his actual feelings. There was just more material to work with.

sagegrouse
10-27-2009, 02:01 PM

It seems that Kyrie made a commitment but with a delayed announcement while he was visiting Duke. Harrison did not. As far as we know, he will make an announcement in a couple of weeks. Does this mean that HB is not coming to Duke? No, or not necessarily. He will announce his decision when it is made, and he still has a couple of visits to go. Very business-like. Good for him. I hope he selects Duke.

sagegrouse

chrisheery
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks

Ummmm . . . 5 to 3. Seem right? Its as good as guess as anyone will give you.

-bdbd
10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
For the poster seeking "real status," I wouldn't read anything into a lack of signals either way. HB has been private and thorough throughout. People had postulated that Duke or KA may lead early, mostly b/c they were involved early and are prominent programs. Many of those same analysts are guessing that recent on-campus turmoil at KA has dampened their chances. (Nobody really knows.) UNC-ch was a late arrival to the HB wars, but they have clearly applied a full-court press and their fans think that they've pulled at least even with us (and past KA). His hometown Iowa State, as well as UCLA, are also in the mix.

Sometimes "nobody knows" means exactly that -- nobody really knows. Don't read anything more into it.

I think we have at least as good a shot as anyone -- b/c of the well-established relationship with Coach K, Duke's long involvement in recruiting him, his 4 visits to Duke, his friendship with Kyrie and the fact that he comes across, per some of the gurus, as "a Duke sort of kid." However, fans at KA and UNC-ch obviously think none of that matters, and then point to their perceived advantages...

We'll know in 2 weeks! I like our chances.