PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

DukieTiger
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
They probably feel the same way about us. Probably to a greater degree. The last thing you want is for your rivals, over whom you have held a distinct advantage in recruiting and in season success, to beat you out for the top recruit in the country. (See: Brandon Wright)

whereinthehellami
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Calipari might have to disagree.

I'm not sure who Cal has that Roy really missed at or wanted. I'm sure Cal would love to have most of Roy's players (as would most teams).

eightyearoldsdude
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
They probably feel the same way about us. Probably to a greater degree. The last thing you want is for your rivals, over whom you have held a distinct advantage in recruiting and in season success, to beat you out for the top recruit in the country. (See: Brandon Wright)

I can't speak for other UNC fans, but my sense is that none of us thought Carolina had a chance in the HB sweepstakes, but now we have some hope. So now it's going to hurt if he goes elsewhere. But I would almost rather him go to Duke than KU. You need him more than we do (considering that we've got Bullock coming in, followed by Hairston), and it would definitely reheat the rivalry.

roywhite
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I can't speak for other UNC fans, but my sense is that none of us thought Carolina had a chance in the HB sweepstakes, but now we have some hope. So now it's going to hurt if he goes elsewhere. But I would almost rather him go to Duke than KU. You need him more than we do (considering that we've got Bullock coming in, followed by Hairston), and it would definitely reheat the rivalry.

Ah, politeness with a little condescending dig thrown in. El-Deano himself would be proud of that.

slower
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
when the Cyber-Holes come trolling and smack-talking.

SilkyJ
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
when the Cyber-Holes come trolling and smack-talking.

At least he's got a funny handle.

Nobody f***s with the Jesus, man.

DukieTiger
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Well golly I sure hope we get him then! :)

Still hard for me to believe that a program like Duke or Unc "needs" any recruit though.

yancem
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM

I think that the Bullock situation brings up a fairly good point. While I'm pretty sure that Barnes would garner more playing time then Bullock, Bullock is a stud in his own right and would most likely at least steal some minutes from Barnes. This duplication of skills/position certainly would be less of an issue at unc, where O'Roy always plays a deep bench, but it could be at least a small factor in the end.

eightyearoldsdude
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
At least he's got a funny handle.

Nobody f***s with the Jesus, man.

Will you just take it easy, man!?

seriously, I didn't intend a dig, but the Dean comparison made my day :)

Surely you guys would agree that, for the next two years, UNC has more concrete (i.e., committed or enrolled) depth on the wing than Duke, no? That's all I was saying.

eightyearoldsdude
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I think that the Bullock situation brings up a fairly good point. While I'm pretty sure that Barnes would garner more playing time then Bullock, Bullock is a stud in his own right and would most likely at least steal some minutes from Barnes. This duplication of skills/position certainly would be less of an issue at unc, where O'Roy always plays a deep bench, but it could be at least a small factor in the end.

If HB came to Carolina, I feel pretty confident that both Bullock and Barnes would start on the wing. That assumes that Henson leaves, but I can envision Roy going with Henson at the 4, with one true post player (I can only dream that will be Ed, but that's doubtful).

HB is the type of recruit that doesn't really need to worry about PT, or being recruited over. He's going to start wherever he winds up, and he probably won't be there too long.

Bud
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Barnes is going to look good in Duke blue.

gofurman
09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Couple quick things:

The alumni game is part of the 100 Year celebration, so it's not a matter of having the idea first.

As for comparing the weekends, Carolina also has a football game, albeit against Pfeiffer, I mean, The Citadel, so there's also that.

And the basketball exhibition is sold out, in the off season. I know Cameron is special, but students don't always fill those corner sections... is my understanding. It's probably going to be pretty intense in the Dome, if only for one night.

And finally:

This would be AWESOME. Make it happen.

Of course, the rosters for Duke (ten years after a championship run followed closely by a championship season) are slightly more stacked than Carolina's players from the same half decade. No one wants to see Brand, Battier and Dunleavy go against Lang, Capel and Newby. But Carolina's pros the ten years prior and, dare I say, the ten years after... well, they're pretty good, too.

Don't knock Citadel v UNC too much - my Furman Paladins knocked the crap out of UNC football in 1999.

Lest the Tarheels forget:

10/30/99 Win Furman 28 - North Carolina 3 - AT UNC ; they paid us for the loss (300K?) since it was a "guarantee" game... LOL

And they had Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims - two NFL (one super stud) among the 4 DL... and we ran ALL OVER THEM. The only reason they scored is bc we fumbled deep in our own territory.

Not that I like Furman or hate UNC or anything... :)

Oh, did I mention they were LUCKY to escape the mighty (63 scholarship 1AA) Paladins in 2006 with their mighty facilities and 85 scholarships?:
09/16/06 - 7:00PM North Carolina 45 - Furman 42

Oh, the great UNC football

sivartrenrag
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Don't knock Citadel v UNC too much - my Furman Paladins knocked the crap out of UNC football in 1999.

Lest the Tarheels forget:

10/30/99 Win Furman 28 - North Carolina 3 - AT UNC ; they paid us for the loss (300K?) since it was a "guarantee" game... LOL

And they had Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims - two NFL (one super stud) among the 4 DL... and we ran ALL OVER THEM. The only reason they scored is bc we fumbled deep in our own territory.

Not that I like Furman or hate UNC or anything... :)

Oh, did I mention they were LUCKY to escape the mighty (63 scholarship 1AA) Paladins in 2006 with their mighty facilities and 85 scholarships?:
09/16/06 - 7:00PM North Carolina 45 - Furman 42

Oh, the great UNC football

As an Appalachian State alum, I support this post. Although I think our story is slightly better. :D

NSDukeFan
09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Will you just take it easy, man!?

seriously, I didn't intend a dig, but the Dean comparison made my day :)

Surely you guys would agree that, for the next two years, UNC has more concrete (i.e., committed or enrolled) depth on the wing than Duke, no? That's all I was saying.

I don't know if I can agree with that. The only way I would agree would be if you made a bunch of assumptions (which I guess is what we do from April to October).

If you assume Henson will play wing, then you could make the argument that UNC has Henson, Ginyard, Strickland, McDonald, Watts and Drew for the 3 perimeter positions for this year and Duke (only) has Singler, Smith, Dawkins and Scheyer as scholarship perimeter players. So yes, more players for UNC for the perimeter spots if you feel that Thomas and Kelly will not get any time on the perimeter this year. I would take Duke's 4 over UNC's 6 any day of the week, though an injury would hurt Duke more.

Next year, UNC has Henson, Strickland, McDonald, Drew, Watts, Marshall and Bullock, so UNC has plenty of depth on the wing. Duke has Smith, Curry, Dawkins and Thornton. So, if you look at it through baby-blue colored glasses, you could say that UNC has 7 perimeter players and Duke only has 4, so I guess you are right. Ideally, you would like to have 5 or 6 solid perimeter players, probably 5. Beyond that, depth doesn't help any, except in the case of injury. So I'll say Henson has to play the 4 in this scenario and UNC has great depth for next year and Duke has 3 known solid perimeter players and 5 is ideal.

So, next year, UNC has more perimeter depth, assuming either 1) Henson stays and plays on the perimeter, or 2) Justin Watts counts, or 3) they get another recruit, 4) Czyz, Kelly and Hairston aren't solid enough to contribute on the perimeter, 5) Thornton isn't ready to contribute, 6) Duke misses on Barnes, Irving, Knight, McCallum, R. Smith and doesn't pick up anyone else and 7) Singler leaves.

So, our worst case scenario is Smith, Dawkins and Curry at the 3 perimeter positions (vs. UNC's Drew, Strickland and Bullock?) with Thornton, Hairston, Kelly and/or Czyz contributing minutes when needed. If the last 2 of my above points both occur, Duke will have stronger starters but less depth on the perimeter than UNC. Call me an optimist, but at this point, I am not concerned about UNC's more concrete depth on the wing for the next couple of years as I like our perimeter better this year and expect our backcourt for 2010-11 to look better than this worst-case scenario.

On the other hand, UNC does appear to have a stronger frontcourt coming into this year than Duke, though I am hoping for some improvement from Zoubs, Lance and Miles and good starts for Mason and Ryan.

eightyearoldsdude
09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know if I can agree with that. The only way I would agree would be if you made a bunch of assumptions (which I guess is what we do from April to October).

If you assume Henson will play wing, then you could make the argument that UNC has Henson, Ginyard, Strickland, McDonald, Watts and Drew for the 3 perimeter positions for this year and Duke (only) has Singler, Smith, Dawkins and Scheyer as scholarship perimeter players. So yes, more players for UNC for the perimeter spots if you feel that Thomas and Kelly will not get any time on the perimeter this year. I would take Duke's 4 over UNC's 6 any day of the week, though an injury would hurt Duke more.

Next year, UNC has Henson, Strickland, McDonald, Drew, Watts, Marshall and Bullock, so UNC has plenty of depth on the wing. Duke has Smith, Curry, Dawkins and Thornton. So, if you look at it through baby-blue colored glasses, you could say that UNC has 7 perimeter players and Duke only has 4, so I guess you are right. Ideally, you would like to have 5 or 6 solid perimeter players, probably 5. Beyond that, depth doesn't help any, except in the case of injury. So I'll say Henson has to play the 4 in this scenario and UNC has great depth for next year and Duke has 3 known solid perimeter players and 5 is ideal.

So, next year, UNC has more perimeter depth, assuming either 1) Henson stays and plays on the perimeter, or 2) Justin Watts counts, or 3) they get another recruit, 4) Czyz, Kelly and Hairston aren't solid enough to contribute on the perimeter, 5) Thornton isn't ready to contribute, 6) Duke misses on Barnes, Irving, Knight, McCallum, R. Smith and doesn't pick up anyone else and 7) Singler leaves.

So, our worst case scenario is Smith, Dawkins and Curry at the 3 perimeter positions (vs. UNC's Drew, Strickland and Bullock?) with Thornton, Hairston, Kelly and/or Czyz contributing minutes when needed. If the last 2 of my above points both occur, Duke will have stronger starters but less depth on the perimeter than UNC. Call me an optimist, but at this point, I am not concerned about UNC's more concrete depth on the wing for the next couple of years as I like our perimeter better this year and expect our backcourt for 2010-11 to look better than this worst-case scenario.

On the other hand, UNC does appear to have a stronger frontcourt coming into this year than Duke, though I am hoping for some improvement from Zoubs, Lance and Miles and good starts for Mason and Ryan.

Our perimeter depth this year has little to no impact on HB, so I won't bother debating that point. I also will ignore recruits, because I was only talking about concrete depth. I think the likelihood of Singler staying for his senior year is about the same as Henson staying for his sophomore year--entirely possible, but no one should bet their life on either one occurring. I'm not convinced K is going to play Kelly or Hairston at SF, not because of their offensive skills, but because I don't think they can stay in front of quick college 3's.

As far as next year goes, our worst-case scenario (for all three perimeter positions) is Marshall, Drew, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald, Graves, Watts. Your worst-case is Smith, Dawkins, Curry, and Thornton. And if you are talking about guys who could legitimately play the 3, the only guy you have who is even 6'4" is Dawkins. Compare that to Bullock (6'6"), Strickland (6'5"), McDonald (6'4"), Graves (6'6"), Watts (6'4"). So I don't think it's outlandish to say that Duke has a greater need for an elite wing player than UNC does.

But whatever. I'm not saying you should be scared, nor am I saying either team will collapse without HB. I'm sure he'll make a good decision no matter where he goes (unless it's UK).

JDev
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I think another important aspect to keep in mind is that Barnes would be the best perimeter player on either team, and probably make their perimeter the better one overall the moment he steps on campus.

I think it is very difficult to gauge next year's, because while UNC is more or less finished with 2010 (they hold out hope for Barnes), Duke's 2010 class is very much up in the air, with Barnes, KI, and Smith still in the mix.

eightyearoldsdude
09-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I think another important aspect to keep in mind is that Barnes would be the best perimeter player on either team, and probably make their perimeter the better one overall the moment he steps on campus.

I think it is very difficult to gauge next year's, because while UNC is more or less finished with 2010 (they hold out hope for Barnes), Duke's 2010 class is very much up in the air, with Barnes, KI, and Smith still in the mix.

I agree--HB would start from day 1 at any school. but I believe UNC is also heavily involved with Terrence Jones and somewhat involved with CJ Leslie. So we may not be done either.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I tend to believe that getting someone to play on the wing is as much a priority for Coach K as a PG for next year. I don't think there is any way Coach K and his staff will finish '10 without someone to play on the wing, whether it be Barnes or Smith, or someone they go in late on.

RelativeWays
09-03-2009, 10:30 PM
In terms of NC implecations, Barnes would make either UNC or Duke championship contenders, both would love to have them equally. In terms of national relevance and being in the championship equation, eightyearoldsdude is right, Duke needs Barnes more than UNC does. The sheep have won two titles in 5 years, if they have a one or two year lull (which is not necessarily a guaranteed event given the talent of the recruits they have signed) thats not really going to have an impact on UNC on the national stage.

Duke, on the other hand, is in need of that truly elite player to push a group of young talented prospects to that next level. Theres been much ado about Duke's "decline" and the recruits we miss on (and yes I know very well all schools UNC included go through slumps, and every program whiffs on big time recruits, we're talking perception). I think Harrison sees a final four with us before he leaves, if he decides to come here. I'll also agree that while I would hate HATE for Barnes to pick UNC, I couldn't fault him for it, only UK is the truly wretched choice and they're not even in the final cut.

eightyearoldsdude
09-04-2009, 11:11 AM
In terms of NC implecations, Barnes would make either UNC or Duke championship contenders, both would love to have them equally. In terms of national relevance and being in the championship equation, eightyearoldsdude is right, Duke needs Barnes more than UNC does. The sheep have won two titles in 5 years, if they have a one or two year lull (which is not necessarily a guaranteed event given the talent of the recruits they have signed) thats not really going to have an impact on UNC on the national stage.

Duke, on the other hand, is in need of that truly elite player to push a group of young talented prospects to that next level. Theres been much ado about Duke's "decline" and the recruits we miss on (and yes I know very well all schools UNC included go through slumps, and every program whiffs on big time recruits, we're talking perception). I think Harrison sees a final four with us before he leaves, if he decides to come here. I'll also agree that while I would hate HATE for Barnes to pick UNC, I couldn't fault him for it, only UK is the truly wretched choice and they're not even in the final cut.

I'm pretty confident that CJ Leslie is going to be a better pro prospect, but what Barnes has right now, in addition to sick skills and a great work ethic, is maturity and poise (and Leslie is especially lacking in that department, I'm told). He will play a lot more like a sophomore than a freshman. And given his interest in education, there's a chance he'll stick around for 2 years. So I totally agree--he puts either team in contention.

MChambers
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty confident that CJ Leslie is going to be a better pro prospect, but what Barnes has right now, in addition to sick skills and a great work ethic, is maturity and poise (and Leslie is especially lacking in that department, I'm told). He will play a lot more like a sophomore than a freshman. And given his interest in education, there's a chance he'll stick around for 2 years. So I totally agree--he puts either team in contention.

Seems like you're saying Leslie has more physical ability (upside, as they say), right? That doesn't (or shouldn't) mean that he's a better pro prospect. Of course, there are a lot of GMs who would disagree with me.

Cali-Duke
09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Seems like you're saying Leslie has more physical ability (upside, as they say), right? That doesn't (or shouldn't) mean that he's a better pro prospect. Of course, there are a lot of GMs who would disagree with me.

I agree with MChambers. Work ethic and drive are, IMO, more important, and is what separates the average NBA player from the elite. Barnes has one of the greatest work ethics I have seen in recent years from a high school prospect. What other wing player goes to a point guard camp (CP3's) just so that he can round out all aspects of his game?

In terms of physical tools, I would give the edge to Barnes because you have to consider players in terms of their positions. Barnes has mentioned that he hopes to play shooting guard in the NBA. This summer, NBA Draft Express measured him to be 6'8'' with a 7'0.5'' wingspan.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Harrison-Barnes-5705/

Leslie, on the other hand, would probably end up playing small forward, even though he is the same height as Barnes. Barnes would then have an advantage in terms of height and wingspan. I will agree that Leslie has been reported as a better leaper, but with Barnes' size advantage at his position, he should be fine with his "above average" athleticism.

Anyways, I think the best comment on Barnes' potential is Dave Telep's remark:

"The kid's the real deal," Telep says. "Honestly, when I watch Harrison play I'm not asking, 'Is he the best player in the country?' I'm asking, 'How many NBA All-Star games will he play in?' "

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/07/31/921312

eightyearoldsdude
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with MChambers. Work ethic and drive are, IMO, more important, and is what separates the average NBA player from the elite. Barnes has one of the greatest work ethics I have seen in recent years from a high school prospect. What other wing player goes to a point guard camp (CP3's) just so that he can round out all aspects of his game?

In terms of physical tools, I would give the edge to Barnes because you have to consider players in terms of their positions. Barnes has mentioned that he hopes to play shooting guard in the NBA. This summer, NBA Draft Express measured him to be 6'8'' with a 7'0.5'' wingspan.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Harrison-Barnes-5705/

Leslie, on the other hand, would probably end up playing small forward, even though he is the same height as Barnes. Barnes would then have an advantage in terms of height and wingspan. I will agree that Leslie has been reported as a better leaper, but with Barnes' size advantage at his position, he should be fine with his "above average" athleticism.

Anyways, I think the best comment on Barnes' potential is Dave Telep's remark:

"The kid's the real deal," Telep says. "Honestly, when I watch Harrison play I'm not asking, 'Is he the best player in the country?' I'm asking, 'How many NBA All-Star games will he play in?' "

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/07/31/921312

Yeah, that was based on both of them playing the 3--I don't really follow the NBA much so I don't know if Barnes does or does not have the skills (3 point range? handle?) to play the 2 for money. Leslie just strikes me as a super intense, freakishly athletic dude with a 'tude. I see both doing well in the pros.

eightyearoldsdude
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, that was based on both of them playing the 3--I don't really follow the NBA much so I don't know if Barnes does or does not have the skills (3 point range? handle?) to play the 2 for money. Leslie just strikes me as a super intense, freakishly athletic dude with a 'tude. I see both doing well in the pros.

Well, it looks like he's going to be sitting next to Jordan at our alumni game, so that can't hurt.

airowe
09-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, it looks like he's going to be sitting next to Jordan at our alumni game, so that can't hurt.

Wow, Roy sounds like he's getting desparate pulling out the Jordan card like Doherty did with Shav. Didn't work for D'oh and it won't work for Ol 'Roy.

You're out of your element Donny.

6th Man
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I can imagine the conversation..."Hey MJ...thanks for the wine and cheese. I'm off to Cameron to play some pick-up with my boys."

shoutingncu
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
"Hey MJ...thanks for the wine and cheese. I'm off to Cameron to play some pick-up with my boys."

HB would never visit Cameron the same weekend he's at unc. Oh, wait...

moonpie23
09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
HB is a smart guy from all that i've read....i can't imagine it's going to be one game, on visit, one star-studded display (from EITHER team) that is going to be the deciding factor.

No, i think he's gonna look at both programs very carefully and be drawn to one or the other because of a collection of things..

duke has a history laden program, as does carolina......I like duke's chances.

airowe
09-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Here are the rosters for tonight's game:

.Blue Team
Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Ty Lawson
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Wayne Ellington
Rashad McCants
Brandan Wright
Sean May

White Team
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Jeff McInnis
Danny Green
Marvin Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

eh

roywhite
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
...Makhtar Ndiaye was not available? :(

Have a good time, there, HB. Be nice to the folks. You'll be back---once a year.

eightyearoldsdude
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
You're out of your element Donny.

OK, so I was not listening to the Dude's story. Can someone please list all the evidence you guys have that points to HB committing to Duke? I'm not doubting he's leaning your way, I just want to hear the reasons y'all are so confident.

wilko
09-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Can someone please list all the evidence you guys have that points to HB committing to Duke? I'm not doubting he's leaning your way, I just want to hear the reasons y'all are so confident.

For the record; Im a bit jaded and not very CONFIDENT at all.
What I am is extremely HOPEFUL.

roywhite
09-04-2009, 08:16 PM

.Blue Team
Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Ty Lawson
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Wayne Ellington
Rashad McCants
Brandan Wright
Sean May

White Team
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Jeff McInnis
Danny Green
Marvin Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

eh

Of the 20 players, I wonder how many are UNC graduates?

10 or fewer?

7 or fewer?

Tappan Zee Devil
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM

10 or fewer?

7 or fewer?

My brother teaches at the University of Texas. UT does not have an "Alumni Association". They have an "Ex-Students Association".
That might be an appropriate model.

UrinalCake
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM

.Blue Team
Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Ty Lawson
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Wayne Ellington
Rashad McCants
Brandan Wright
Sean May

White Team
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Jeff McInnis
Danny Green
Marvin Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

A little off-topic here but I'm wondering why Williams, Cota, and Lawson are all on the same team. The White team only has Felton and Frasor at PG.

Felton vs. Lawson should be a fun matchup to watch.

UrinalCake
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM

10 or fewer?

7 or fewer?

Woah, let's not go there. It was fun to snub our noses pre-1999, but things are different. Our guys are just as likely to leave early, and in many ways we WANT to have guys who leave early because that's how things work these days.

Put it this way: imagine we couldn't recruit anyone who wasn't projected to be a four-year player.

Lord Ash
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
We can talk trash all we want, but yikes, that sounds like an awesome time. Would LOVE to see a Duke version.

jws
09-04-2009, 11:03 PM

10 or fewer?

7 or fewer?

Well, three of them (Lawson, Ellington and Brandan Wright) would only be seniors this coming year, had they stayed all four years, so one can't really expect them to have graduated.

Of the remaining 17, the following 14 have their degrees:

Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Sean May
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Danny Green
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

Of the rest:

Marvin Williams - jumped to the NBA after his freshman year, but has returned every summer to work toward his degree. I would guess he'll graduate next summer or the summer after that.

Jeff McInnis and Rashad McCants are the only two I haven't heard anything from about working toward their degree, so I'm assuming neither has their degree and neither intends to get it.

Kedsy
09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, three of them (Lawson, Ellington and Brandan Wright) would only be seniors this coming year, had they stayed all four years, so one can't really expect them to have graduated.

Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Sean May
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Danny Green
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

Of the rest:

Marvin Williams - jumped to the NBA after his freshman year, but has returned every summer to work toward his degree. I would guess he'll graduate next summer or the summer after that.

Jeff McInnis and Rashad McCants are the only two I haven't heard anything from about working toward their degree, so I'm assuming neither has their degree and neither intends to get it.

As much as I can't stand them, that's pretty good.

airowe
09-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Where's your boy Mj in this picture? That's Harrison on the bottom left if you don't know...

http://twitpic.com/gi6he

FireOgilvie
09-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Where's your boy Mj in this picture? That's Harrison on the bottom left if you don't know...

http://twitphttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/editor/separator.gific.com/gi6he

Probably making sure no one messes with his Ferrari...

http://twitpic.com/ghnw3

shoutingncu
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM

http://twitpic.com/gi6he

I assume he's still talking to Shavlik...

airowe
09-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Probably making sure no one messes with his Ferrari...

http://twitpic.com/ghnw3

This makes me want to throw up, with all the gushing going on:

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090409aad.html

8:38 p.m.: The now-traditional Jump Around includes Danny Green dancing, then Shammond Williams jumping in and doing some sort of Michael Jackson tribute. Blue starters: Jawad Williams, Carter, May, Calabria, Cota. White: Jamison, Marvin Williams, Haywood, Stackhouse, Felton. Jamison starts it off with an early bucket in the paint.

:rolleyes:

Can't talk about recruits on the official site. No DVD of the game because the NBA has broadcast rights.

:rolleyes:

Lord Ash
09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Harrison Barnes sat with the rest of the recruits, nowhere near MJ.

roywhite
09-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Sean May
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Danny Green
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

Of the rest:

jws...

Good information.

My bad for under-estimating the Heels in question.

Devilsfan
09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
RaSheed in the classroom. Now that's a sight I would love to see.

sandinmyshoes
09-05-2009, 02:00 PM
You are going to be hearing a lot over the next few days about how impressed Barnes has been with this visit. UNC has made up some ground. But I wouldn't panic or get paranoid just yet. Some of the glitter of this event will wear off as the weeks roll on and Barnes gets more visits under his belt. I like that we get a later visit and it will be fresher in his mind.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Never even seen the kid bounce a ball myself.....

But it's pretty obvious RW has made HB the primary recruit, so I'm sure UNC pulled out all the NCAA allowed stops "backstage" for him last night. To be the top recruit at that event, it had to get his attention. That was a pretty impressive night, ya gotta admit..

That said, it all comes down to the kid. Where does he feel most comfortable and what school does he feel will best suit him to achieve the goals he has for himself? Don't we all wish we had the options this kid has back in the day?

He has no bad choices left on his list.

From what I read of him, he seems to be a smart kid who will take all his visits and make a rational decision for himself, just as he should in my book.

Where-ever he goes, none of us should hold it against him.

RelativeWays
09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree with wheat. I'd rather he go to KU if not Duke (and I'm sure UNC fans feel the same way if he doesn't pick the sheep) but I'm not going to hate him if he picks UNC. If that does happen, I hope we do get Roscoe Smith, but I still feel that HB has a slight Duke lean. Thats based on nothing other than a gut feeling.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree with wheat. I'd rather he go to KU if not Duke (and I'm sure UNC fans feel the same way if he doesn't pick the sheep) but I'm not going to hate him if he picks UNC. If that does happen, I hope we do get Roscoe Smith, but I still feel that HB has a slight Duke lean. Thats based on nothing other than a gut feeling.

For me, I'd rather see him at Duke if he passes on UNC. Just my bias for the ACC showing...

jv001
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
For me, I'd rather see him at Duke if he passes on UNC. Just my bias for the ACC showing...

I would feel the same way if he chose unc. If::

1. All unc fans were like you.

2. You are actually telling the truth.

Go Duke!

shoutingncu
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Go Duke!

I'll own up. I'd prefer him at Kansas than Duke (but part of that would be to solidify KU ahead of Duke all time... biased, I grant you, but with motive).

Kentucky would be the only school that would give me pause.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Go Duke!

I am telling the truth...really. If he goes to Kansas, or heaven forbid KY, I won't get to see him play as much. And he sounds like a kid I will want to see play.

My attitude is pretty simple...Bring it when you play-everytime- with whoever you can suit up.
Let's have some fun-we might lose, but we can never be defeated!

...and there is always another game, another season, another recruit.

Duke and UNC compete for recruits just as hard as they do on the court. As they should. And I like to follow that competition. It's all good right?

But we have to realize as fans, we can't do anything, and we don't know a thing about the recruits personality and how they connect with a coach or a program.

All this internet speculation by fans, of both sides, is entertaining. But we have to remember it's just that, speculation. It was the same way 30 years ago concerning the big time recruits, just not as available.

If we lose this one, no worries from me because, especially after last nights event, I can feel confident UNC made their best effort.

I'm sure Duke is, and will be, putting forth their best effort as well.

Somebody will "lose" here, but it won't be HB.

I'll just grab a bag of popcorn and see how this plays out, like I have done for way too many years following the recruiting process.

BD80
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM

I too agree with Wheat. If you are really interested in the what's best for the young man, you should root for him to land in a good situation. Although a distant second to Duke, unc-ch is a great program, a really good school, and gets to play in the world's best college basketball arena once each year. Looking at the list of alumni at their special event, there are almost as many truly admirable student athletes as there are asses. A backhanded compliment - I know. But it is sincere.

I just don't see how so many relatively intelligent people, who have other options, would CHOOSE to wear that ugly baby poo blue

I think Harrison will write his own chapter in the Duke/unc-ch rivalry. Going through the recruiting process with unc-ch will only make him appreciate the rivalry more.

airowe
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I was just on the field for the 1st half of the PUNC football game and I'm very sorry to have to report this, but Harrison Barnes was the only recruit wearing an ugly blue colored T-shirt, FWIW. He was having a good time, mainly hanging out with Jon Henson. MP3 did not seem to be having a good time. Kendall Marshall was there as well, and a couple other guys I didn't recognize.

Was up close and personal for the ring ceremony and those guys got some bling.I. 'm ready to see our guys get some on their fingers as well.

FireOgilvie
09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I was just on the field for the 1st half of the PUNC football game and I'm very sorry to have to report this, but Harrison Barnes was the only recruit wearing an ugly blue colored T-shirt, FWIW. He was having a good time, mainly hanging out with Jon Henson. MP3 did not seem to be having a good time. Kendall Marshall was there as well, and a couple other guys I didn't recognize.

Was up close and personal for the ring ceremony and those guys got some bling.I. 'm ready to see our guys get some on their fingers as well.

MP3 was there? MP3 to UNC would be the ultimate betrayal. At least he wasn't into it.

jipops
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I am telling the truth...really. If he goes to Kansas, or heaven forbid KY, I won't get to see him play as much. And he sounds like a kid I will want to see play.

My attitude is pretty simple...Bring it when you play-everytime- with whoever you can suit up.
Let's have some fun-we might lose, but we can never be defeated!

...and there is always another game, another season, another recruit.

Duke and UNC compete for recruits just as hard as they do on the court. As they should. And I like to follow that competition. It's all good right?

But we have to realize as fans, we can't do anything, and we don't know a thing about the recruits personality and how they connect with a coach or a program.

All this internet speculation by fans, of both sides, is entertaining. But we have to remember it's just that, speculation. It was the same way 30 years ago concerning the big time recruits, just not as available.

If we lose this one, no worries from me because, especially after last nights event, I can feel confident UNC made their best effort.

I'm sure Duke is, and will be, putting forth their best effort as well.

Somebody will "lose" here, but it won't be HB.

I'll just grab a bag of popcorn and see how this plays out, like I have done for way too many years following the recruiting process.

That sounds nice and all but that is quite a bit easier for a UNC fan to say this than a Duke fan for the simple reason of the proliferation of the UNC fan base that exists. If a UNC fan goes in to work the next day after a UNC loss to Duke, you have to hear about if from one, maybe two people. If you're a Duke fan going into work after a Duke loss to UNC, you hear it from atleast 50% of your co-workers. Oh yeah, there is also the massive media attention that follows the game covered locally by a large proliferation of UNC alum journalists. It's just part of the joy and the pain of being a Duke fan in NC.

So bringing in a top-notch recruit that picks us over UNC would be exhilarating. Losing HB to UNC would be crushing. For K to be able to put a team on the floor that is atleast equal in talent (or even slightly less) to Roy's team would be absolutely wonderful because I feel warm and fuzzy over what the outcome may be. I have great respect for the UNC basketball program. But I want my Duke team to beat the crap out of them.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-05-2009, 10:48 PM
If a UNC fan goes in to work the next day after a UNC loss to Duke, you have to hear about if from one, maybe two people. If you're a Duke fan going into work after a Duke loss to UNC, you hear it from atleast 50% of your co-workers.

I highly reccomend becoming self employed, take no ^&% from anyone...works for me.;)

Bob Green
09-06-2009, 01:08 AM
I highly reccomend becoming self employed, take no ^&% from anyone...works for me.;)

Or live overseas, but then again, even Yokosuka, Japan is infested with UNC fans. :) Where's a good exterminator when you need one. :D

sagegrouse
09-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Hey, Wheat!

What's the worst client you ever took fishing?

sagegrouse

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey, Wheat!

What's the worst client you ever took fishing?

sagegrouse

Can we please stick to the topic.

As for Harrison Barnes I bet he was really impressed and enjoyed himself but I wouldn't say unc picked up any ground. Recruits are usally always Highly impressed when they go on visits. Doesn't mean they change their mind over 1 visit. Some due but judging on HB character i doubt it.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Can we please stick to the topic.

As for Harrison Barnes I bet he was really impressed and enjoyed himself but I wouldn't say unc picked up any ground.

Do I detect a little tension and slip of confidence concerning HB here?

If it's true that HB was the only recruit wearing a UNC tee at the football game as airowe says, then the one thing some fans have pointed to that gave them the most confidence he would choose Duke, him wearing a Duke shirt at the Duke/UNC game visit, well now they have lost a little ground on that issue.

And there is no way this weekend at UNC didn't impress the kid, heck it even impressed most of the people on this board, so you've lost some ground there too.

That said, he could have decided to wear the tee at both schools simply as a sign of respect for each program.

Or just to get fans like us interested and entertain himself, build his national brand, all the while planning to go to Kansas.

And he may have already made his decision and is just enjoying all the free attention and reinforcing that decision.

Or maybe he hasn't made a decision and is looking at all his options before he does and all schools are equal at this point.

Pick one or make up another scenario, it just doesn't matter.

We're all just along for the ride.

...Worst client? Too much alchohol was involved in a few, but none stand out because if they were that bad, they were only bad once, then I was busy when they called back. The power of self employed :)

Azdukefan
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
A bunch of random thoughts.....I think we would be foolish to think that UNC has not made up some ground on us after witnessing what he did this past weekend. Who wouldn't be amazed by the display the Holes put together? Personally, if I had been offered tickets to the game, I would have been there in an instant (so why wouldn't HB?). I think the Holes have made up some ground but I don't expect HB to be joining the darkside. Not to get off topic too much but why didn't MJ lace them up? I know he is older than those guys but I guarantee he could have made a good showing of it. Another random thought.....MJ was not enough to reel in Shav so I don't think his presence will be enough to reel in HB. Can't wait to see him in a Duke uni!!!:D

Wheat/"/"/"
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
but why didn't MJ lace them up? I know he is older than those guys but I guarantee he could have made a good showing of it.

I think the roster was determined by current NBA or European pro players only.

But I did read somewhere that there would be an "old timers" game later this year. Maybe MJ will play in that one. How sad is that?

Here's an interesting article (http://fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/09/06/931562)on the night...

roywhite
09-06-2009, 02:23 PM
A bunch of random thoughts.....I think we would be foolish to think that UNC has not made up some ground on us after witnessing what he did this past weekend. Who wouldn't be amazed by the display the Holes put together? Personally, if I had been offered tickets to the game, I would have been there in an instant (so why wouldn't HB?). I think the Holes have made up some ground but I don't expect HB to be joining the darkside. Not to get off topic too much but why didn't MJ lace them up? I know he is older than those guys but I guarantee he could have made a good showing of it. Another random thought.....MJ was not enough to reel in Shav so I don't think his presence will be enough to reel in HB. Can't wait to see him in a Duke uni!!!:D

As a Duke student way back in the day, I often went to Chapel Hill with friends to eat, shop or party. We always came back to Duke and had no second thoughts about our choice of schools.

In fact, having Chapel Hill nearby is just one more positive feature of going to Duke.

Kedsy
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Do I detect a little tension and slip of confidence concerning HB here?

If it's true that HB was the only recruit wearing a UNC tee at the football game as airowe says, then the one thing some fans have pointed to that gave them the most confidence he would choose Duke, him wearing a Duke shirt at the Duke/UNC game visit, well now they have lost a little ground on that issue.

And there is no way this weekend at UNC didn't impress the kid, heck it even impressed most of the people on this board, so you've lost some ground there too.

That said, he could have decided to wear the tee at both schools simply as a sign of respect for each program.

Or just to get fans like us interested and entertain himself, build his national brand, all the while planning to go to Kansas.

And he may have already made his decision and is just enjoying all the free attention and reinforcing that decision.

Or maybe he hasn't made a decision and is looking at all his options before he does and all schools are equal at this point.

Pick one or make up another scenario, it just doesn't matter.

We're all just along for the ride.

If anybody really thinks they can gain a valuable insight into a recruit's state of mind based on a tee-shirt the kid happened to wear one day, then they need to reevaluate their own cognitive processes.

Personally, I think the whole idea of one school or another "gaining ground" or "losing ground" is somewhat of a foolish notion, especially if the ground is gained or lost based on shirts or alumni games.

We won't know anything until we know something.

G man
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=jipops;313063]If you're a Duke fan going into work after a Duke loss to UNC, you hear it from atleast 50% of your co-workers. Oh yeah, there is also the massive media attention that follows the game covered locally by a large proliferation of UNC alum journalists. It's just part of the joy and the pain of being a Duke fan in NC.

I live out in Lincoln Nebraska and when Duke looses to anyone I hear it out here. The fact is that people love to hate on us. That is what makes it so great when we are good. It drives everyone insane.

eightyearoldsdude
09-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Regarding the front page article, do any of you guys really believe McAdoo's commitment makes UNC less attractive to HB? I think it's far-fetched, to put it mildly (and if anything, helps UNC). McAdoo is an elite power forward in the 2011 class. Barnes is a top-2 wing in the 2010 class. If Barnes even sticks around for more than one year, there's no reason to think a freshman power forward is going to eat up any of his minutes. Bullock is another ball of wax, but he doesn't seem to have scared HB from at least considering UNC.

Anyway, I don't know anything about what HB is looking for, but if I had to guess I would think he wants strong academics, great coaching, and enough talent around him to make a title run. I really don't think he's worried about competition for playing time.

gumbomoop
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Regarding the front page article, do any of you guys really believe McAdoo's commitment makes UNC less attractive to HB? I think it's far-fetched, to put it mildly (and if anything, helps UNC). McAdoo is an elite power forward in the 2011 class. Barnes is a top-2 wing in the 2010 class. If Barnes even sticks around for more than one year, there's no reason to think a freshman power forward is going to eat up any of his minutes. Bullock is another ball of wax, but he doesn't seem to have scared HB from at least considering UNC.

Anyway, I don't know anything about what HB is looking for, but if I had to guess I would think he wants strong academics, great coaching, and enough talent around him to make a title run. I really don't think he's worried about competition for playing time.

I for one do not believe Mc's commitment will have a negative impact re HB. By which I mean: it won't negatively impact any of HB's finalists.

I am about to "flatter" you [for a second time on these boards, IIRC] by comparing your verbal "dexterity" to that of Coach Smith. I trust a smirky smile crossed your lips as you typed the words, ".... and enough talent around him to make a title run." I, at least, took you to mean: "the kind of talent UNC has and Duke doesn't." [Yes, yes, I know, that's not what you meant at all. Bleccchhhh.] That's the sort of thing Dean did repeatedly, and quite unnecessarily, for his coaching brilliance and record ought to have given him the confidence to have avoided smarmy needling. Alas.

As to title run talent, it's quite likely that both the Heels and Devils will be sufficiently fortified to challenge for the NC in '10-'11 and '11-'12 [and IMHO, probably in '09-'10, but that's another thread].

Azdukefan
09-07-2009, 05:01 PM

If that is all that HB needs, strong academics.....check! Great coaching (we have the best)....check! Title run talent.....check! Go ahead and make that decision now HB, it gets no better than Duke.:D

eightyearoldsdude
09-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I for one do not believe Mc's commitment will have a negative impact re HB. By which I mean: it won't negatively impact any of HB's finalists.

I am about to "flatter" you [for a second time on these boards, IIRC] by comparing your verbal "dexterity" to that of Coach Smith. I trust a smirky smile crossed your lips as you typed the words, ".... and enough talent around him to make a title run." I, at least, took you to mean: "the kind of talent UNC has and Duke doesn't." [Yes, yes, I know, that's not what you meant at all. Bleccchhhh.] That's the sort of thing Dean did repeatedly, and quite unnecessarily, for his coaching brilliance and record ought to have given him the confidence to have avoided smarmy needling. Alas.

As to title run talent, it's quite likely that both the Heels and Devils will be sufficiently fortified to challenge for the NC in '10-'11 and '11-'12 [and IMHO, probably in '09-'10, but that's another thread].

Guilty as charged: right now, I do not believe Duke has enough talent currently enrolled or verbally committed to win a title in the next 3 years. I do believe that UNC has enough talent to be title contenders if nobody goes pro, and maybe even if we lose both Henson and Davis. But most importantly, I realize that neither team is finished recruiting, and I think it's very likely that K will get enough talent (specifically, PG and C talent) to return to the final four. Whether that happens in time for HB's decision--or if it even matters to him--remains to be seen.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Guilty as charged: right now, I do not believe Duke has enough talent currently enrolled or verbally committed to win a title in the next 3 years. I do believe that UNC has enough talent to be title contenders if nobody goes pro, and maybe even if we lose both Henson and Davis. But most importantly, I realize that neither team is finished recruiting, and I think it's very likely that K will get enough talent (specifically, PG and C talent) to return to the final four. Whether that happens in time for HB's decision--or if it even matters to him--remains to be seen.

I'm not in the habit of defending Duke, but without seeing Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly or Andre Dawkins play college ball yet, much of Seth Curry either, let alone seeing who else they could still sign from this class including HB, I don't see how anyone could confidently predict Duke could not contend for a title the next few years...the cupboard is hardly bare.

chrisheery
09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
that Duke doesn't have the talent needed to win a national championship. Even this year. I say that mostly because we have not seen what MP2, R. Kelly, and Dre Dawk can do yet. We have only seen the two big guys play in pickup style all-star games. Duke players rarely look good in those games because they are rarely selfish or showy enough to look "cool." That is the nature and genius of Coach K style players. Because we haven't seen them play organized basketball, at which they have both excelled by contributing in many small ways, I don't think it is fair to guess how good they will be individually or for the team. I would be willing to bet Dre Dawk would have looked pretty nasty in an all-star game anyway, but that is beside the point.

If Nolan plays the way we all know he is capable of this year and Dre is half as good as his clippings indicate he should be, our back-court will be very good, but not deep. If MP1 has improved, MP2 is as good as he his skills and athleticism should allow him to be, and Kelly can stretch defenses, we have a perfect set up for a Coach K style team that could win a national championship.

Do I think we will? No, probably not, but how often does a team with far less talent make a deep run? Almost every year. So, a team with this level of talent, if they are peeking at the right time, could certainly win it all. They just need to get hot at the right time.

If you are saying that we don't have the level of talent to be picked to win against almost every team almost every game, I completely agree. But, please realize that if UNC hadn't been incredibly lucky with Ty Lawson's DUI, Tyler Hansborough's complete refusal to go pro when almost anyone else would have, and the suprising play of Ed Davis and Deon Thompson, they would have had far less talent that Duke coming into 2008-9.

This year, they have quite a few unknowns as well. Henson is a stud, but the Wear brothers look questionable. Thompson may struggle as the main man. Davis is very very good. Zeller might very well be the most overrated of all players ever, and that is with the knowledge that he is not extremely highly thought of. He would surprise me if he plays a lot of meaningful minutes. They have no reliable point guard. Larry Drew looked like Quentin Thomas last year, and Leslie McDonald and Dexter Strickland have never been PGs in their lives .

I am not sure why it is thought that UNC has such a big advantage over Duke in talent for the coming year, but I find it very debatable.

With regard to HB, then, he has the chance to be the player that sends Duke to that elite level again. Why would anyone choose UNC over Duke if their stated goal was to go to an elite university for their education? I am not sure anyone could truly defend that decision. Outside of Stanford and to some degree now Harvard, is there a university with Duke's level of education that also has a basketball program that is at a high level? (Or truly elite for at least 20 years in Duke's case?)

G man
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I love this conversation I personally do not think that any of the guards on UNC's roster are that exciting. None of them put the fear of God in me. The front line is impressive and should not be overlooked. I would though without a doubt take Dukes few bodies to the tarheels many.

Second point is a little more to the point of this thread. A month and a half ago who would have thought that north carolina would be doing this well with HB. They seem to be shortening are supposed lead. This is bad news.... I honestly felt like we were going to get both Kyrie and Barnes. I feel that is more up in the air at this point.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, yes, when he wasn't turning it over.
No question he improved a lot, but he was nowhere near as good as Q was his senior year, and for me, the jury's still out on just how good Drew II will be. He's got the tools, but he's yet to show that he can perform consistently on both ends.

To try and stay on topic...We would prefer Mr. Barnes to join us in Chapel Hill :)

JWS... I couldn't stand it so I went back and looked at Drew's stats beginning with the ACC tourney. I had recalled him looking much more comfortable on the floor late in the year and the stats back that up.

ACC tourney- NCAA Tourney,
Drew played 72 minutes with 13 assists and just 3 TO's.

If you want to toss out the first round Radford game where he played 19 minutes with 5 assist and just 1 TO, he still had 53 minutes on the floor with just 2 TO's and 8 assists against the best teams in the country.

He struggled some in the season as most freshmen do, but he was coming on late in the year. Just sayin' :)

6th Man
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
To try and stay on topic...We would prefer Mr. Barnes to join us in Chapel Hill :)

Oh come on Wheat...you don't really need him in Chapel Hill. We'll let him come visit you once a year. Harrison...don't listen to Wheat...they don't really want you there. COME TO DUKE MAN!

BlueintheFace
09-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Lets turn this thread around.... What exactly does Harrison Barnes do well?

1) Communicate

Wheat/"/"/"
09-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly has happened that changed the tone of this thread so significantly? All I know is that I was catching up on the thread and I start reading things like "Harrison is going to UNC because he wore their t-shirt during a visit." Is there anything more substantive or is this just our normal collective overreaction?

HB evidently did wear a UNC shirt at the football game this weekend on his visit, equalizing the wearing of a Duke shirt at the BB game last season.

The battle of the shirt war is now tied, although inside sources say UNC's was a shirt sporting a collar, so obviously UNC is now in the lead.

Rumor has it that HB may sport a Duke hat at the Durham visit later in the month, which could send UNC quickly to the curb.:D

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I truly hope your joking.

MChambers
09-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I truly hope your joking.

I think your satire sensor is malfunctioning. Wheat was definitely joking and it was a great joke. At least for a UNC guy. . .:)

eightyearoldsdude
09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
that Duke doesn't have the talent needed to win a national championship. Even this year. I say that mostly because we have not seen what MP2, R. Kelly, and Dre Dawk can do yet. We have only seen the two big guys play in pickup style all-star games. Duke players rarely look good in those games because they are rarely selfish or showy enough to look "cool." That is the nature and genius of Coach K style players. Because we haven't seen them play organized basketball, at which they have both excelled by contributing in many small ways, I don't think it is fair to guess how good they will be individually or for the team. I would be willing to bet Dre Dawk would have looked pretty nasty in an all-star game anyway, but that is beside the point.

If Nolan plays the way we all know he is capable of this year and Dre is half as good as his clippings indicate he should be, our back-court will be very good, but not deep. If MP1 has improved, MP2 is as good as he his skills and athleticism should allow him to be, and Kelly can stretch defenses, we have a perfect set up for a Coach K style team that could win a national championship.

Do I think we will? No, probably not, but how often does a team with far less talent make a deep run? Almost every year. So, a team with this level of talent, if they are peeking at the right time, could certainly win it all. They just need to get hot at the right time.

If you are saying that we don't have the level of talent to be picked to win against almost every team almost every game, I completely agree. But, please realize that if UNC hadn't been incredibly lucky with Ty Lawson's DUI, Tyler Hansborough's complete refusal to go pro when almost anyone else would have, and the suprising play of Ed Davis and Deon Thompson, they would have had far less talent that Duke coming into 2008-9.

This year, they have quite a few unknowns as well. Henson is a stud, but the Wear brothers look questionable. Thompson may struggle as the main man. Davis is very very good. Zeller might very well be the most overrated of all players ever, and that is with the knowledge that he is not extremely highly thought of. He would surprise me if he plays a lot of meaningful minutes. They have no reliable point guard. Larry Drew looked like Quentin Thomas last year, and Leslie McDonald and Dexter Strickland have never been PGs in their lives .

I am not sure why it is thought that UNC has such a big advantage over Duke in talent for the coming year, but I find it very debatable.

With regard to HB, then, he has the chance to be the player that sends Duke to that elite level again. Why would anyone choose UNC over Duke if their stated goal was to go to an elite university for their education? I am not sure anyone could truly defend that decision. Outside of Stanford and to some degree now Harvard, is there a university with Duke's level of education that also has a basketball program that is at a high level? (Or truly elite for at least 20 years in Duke's case?)

I don't think UNC has a huge advantage over Duke this coming season. I was talking about the next 3-4 years.

Wheat (and others): I agree that Duke has some great talent in Singler, MP2, Kelly, and Dawkins. However, the strongest title teams have elite talent at the center and/or point guard spots, and Duke (as yet) does not have that. You've got fantastic wings and some versatile face-the-basket big men, but you don't have a back-to-the-basket beast, and you don't have a great point guard. Again--I'm just talking about players who have committed or enrolled. I think HB alone could put either team in contention, but I think Irving may actually be equally important for your title hopes.

eightyearoldsdude
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
No one said a UNC education is a bad thing but when you want to compare.... DUKE WINS IN A LANDSLIDE.

Well, if you believe the US News rankings, then sure. But if you use more objective measures of faculty quality (e.g., publications, citations), the waters muddy.

BlueintheFace
09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, if you believe the US News rankings, then sure. But if you use more objective measures of faculty quality (e.g., publications, citations), the waters muddy.

I mean, they muddy for all schools when you forget about USNWR, but Duke still holds a significant lead there. Let me put it this way, I don't think I would be able to find many people outside the state of Carolina that would say that Carolina is on par with Duke academically.

eightyearoldsdude
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I mean, they muddy for all schools when you forget about USNWR, but Duke still holds a significant lead there. Let me put it this way, I don't think I would be able to find many people outside the state of Carolina that would say that Carolina is on par with Duke academically.

But again, you've got substantial reputation effects. Additionally, first-year Duke students are, on average, a lot better prepared for college than first-year UNC students (due both to reputation effects, but also to the geographic quotas UNC has to fill).

Ignoring selection and reputation effects, Duke's primary on-the-ground academic advantage lies in the small classes and large faculty:student ratios. So the average Duke student will have more contact with faculty, etc., than the average UNC student. There is less difference in faculty quality--though that is starting to change, since private universities are 'poaching' talented faculty from cash-strapped public universities at higher rates (I teach in the UC system, where it is becoming commonplace). I know faculty at both institutions, and would be hard-pressed to say which had the most talent. Anyway, I guess the main point is that education is what you make of it, and motivated students do not need to go to Harvard to get a great education.

airowe
09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
But again, you've got substantial reputation effects. Additionally, first-year Duke students are, on average, a lot better prepared for college than first-year UNC students (due both to reputation effects, but also to the geographic quotas UNC has to fill).

Ignoring selection and reputation effects, Duke's primary on-the-ground academic advantage lies in the small classes and large faculty:student ratios. So the average Duke student will have more contact with faculty, etc., than the average UNC student. There is less difference in faculty quality--though that is starting to change, since private universities are 'poaching' talented faculty from cash-strapped public universities at higher rates (I teach in the UC system, where it is becoming commonplace). I know faculty at both institutions, and would be hard-pressed to say which had the most talent. Anyway, I guess the main point is that education is what you make of it, and motivated students do not need to go to Harvard to get a great education.

You've argued that Duke is better because of it's faculty:student ratios, that they students that enroll at Duke are typically much more prepared, and that Duke, like other private schools, are starting to get the cream of the crop faculty members from public schools and will therefore have a greater advantage in teaching acumen in the future.

Besides these reasons, what are some others that Duke would be a better choice for Harrison Barnes to fulfill his desire to not just attend a school for it's athletic programs, but for a school to prepare him for life beyond his basketball career?

eightyearoldsdude
09-08-2009, 01:26 PM
You've argued that Duke is better because of it's faculty:student ratios, that they students that enroll at Duke are typically much more prepared, and that Duke, like other private schools, are starting to get the cream of the crop faculty members from public schools and will therefore have a greater advantage in teaching acumen in the future.

Besides these reasons, what are some others that Duke would be a better choice for Harrison Barnes to fulfill his desire to not just attend a school for it's athletic programs, but for a school to prepare him for life beyond his basketball career?

re: faculty quality, I don't think poaching is a major problem for UNC yet. As far as HB's decision goes, UNC's undergraduate business major is among the best in the nation, whereas Duke does not offer one, IIRC. And let's be real--the kid is going to make his living playing basketball, and it's hard to beat UNC's connections in the NBA.

But heck, I don't know--maybe Duke's academic reputation will lead Barnes to commit. If so, I wish him the best.

airowe
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
re: faculty quality, I don't think poaching is a major problem for UNC yet. As far as HB's decision goes, UNC's undergraduate business major is among the best in the nation, whereas Duke does not offer one, IIRC. And let's be real--the kid is going to make his living playing basketball, and it's hard to beat UNC's connections in the NBA.

But heck, I don't know--maybe Duke's academic reputation will lead Barnes to commit. If so, I wish him the best.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300033#post300033

eightyearoldsdude
09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300033#post300033

If Harrison Barnes does an internship after his college career is over, I'll eat my hat.

airowe
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Is this a joke?

Yeah.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=313425&postcount=613

El_Diablo
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
You are kidding right? Seriously?

Did UNC win the championship in 2009?

Well, if you believe the final NCAA tournament rankings, then sure. But if you use more objective measures of player quality (e.g., fouls, turnovers), the waters muddy.

;)

RelativeWays
09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey, Duke and UNC both churn out their fair share of doctors, lawyers and other upper tax bracket dwellers. I'm sure academic p!$$ing contests are fun, but lets move past it, back to basketball and other DU related sports.

Devilsfan
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Last time I checked it was NO CONTEST.

flyingdutchdevil
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Amen, brother. Duke students know their academixs are better than UNC's, and UNC has a massive inferiority complex and thus try to debate this topic without success. Hate to say it, but it's similar with basketball in the past couple of years, except the other way around...

SilkyJ
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Amen, brother. Duke students know their academixs are better than UNC's, and UNC has a massive inferiority complex and thus try to debate this topic without success. Hate to say it, but it's similar with basketball in the past couple of years, except the other way around...

Enough with the pissing contest. HB doesn't want to read about us puffin our chests in his thread.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
He may not even be reading this at all.

roywhite
09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Enough with the pissing contest. HB doesn't want to read about us puffin our chests in his thread.

Back to the topic, UNC fans seem quite pleased with HB's visit and comments (apparently said he wanted to get back to CH to see a game during season). Some message board squawkers now claim HB is "a strong lean" toward UNC.

I guess we'll see. Every indication is that scheduled visits to campus and in-home visits will continue, and we'll not hear a commitment from HB anytime soon.

As noted elsewhere, today is the day for Duke's in-home visit with Kyrie Irving. With any luck, Irving and Barnes will make their decisions sooner than John Wall did last year. :)

jaygdevil11
09-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Back to the topic, UNC fans seem quite pleased with HB's visit and comments (apparently said he wanted to get back to CH to see a game during season). Some message board squawkers now claim HB is "a strong lean" toward UNC.

I guess we'll see. Every indication is that scheduled visits to campus and in-home visits will continue, and we'll not hear a commitment from HB anytime soon.

As noted elsewhere, today is the day for Duke's in-home visit with Kyrie Irving. With any luck, Irving and Barnes will make their decisions sooner than John Wall did last year. :)

UNC fans are feeling like they have won the battle. I noticed scout has increased Barnes UNC interest level from medium to high today. I think that time is our biggest asset here, the longer this plays out the better we look.

Kedsy
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Putting aside whether Duke has a "massive inferiority complex" when it comes to basketball the past few years, I'm wondering whether someone who feels the need to post little more than trash talk about Duke's superior "academixs" should take the time and effort to properly spell "academics"?

airowe
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
UNC fans are feeling like they have won the battle. I noticed scout has increased Barnes UNC interest level from medium to high today. I think that time is our biggest asset here, the longer this plays out the better we look.

Absolutely agree. Luckily, throughout Barnes' recruitment he's taken a very methodical approach, even bringing notebooks full of questions to ask the coaches. He's repeatedly stated he will take all of his OVs and in-homes and weigh out the pros and cons after the visits, absent any emotional highs or lows lasting from the visit.

Despite a ridiculous confluence of events working in the Heels favor, their 100 year anniversary, their greatest player ever being inducted into the Naismith HOF, their coming off an NC, he will take his time and think about where he best fits, and how the NEXT couple of years impact him, not the past.

Kedsy
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
UNC fans are feeling like they have won the battle. I noticed scout has increased Barnes UNC interest level from medium to high today.

This cracks me up. Before the UNC visit the Heels were one of HB's six finalists (Duke, Kansas, Okla, UCLA, UNC). He's visiting five schools (all but Iowa State) and UNC was first. Does anybody think he's going to commit to UNC now based on that visit or cancel any of the other visits now that he's seen Chapel Hill? No? Well, then does anybody think he won't have a great time on every visit?

If this kid makes his decision based solely on his first visit, then he's not the kid everyone says he is. So unless HB comes out and says he's leaning somewhere, we won't know anything until he's made all five visits. If then.

Let 'em feel like they've won the battle. It doesn't change anything.

quickgtp
09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
This cracks me up. Before the UNC visit the Heels were one of HB's six finalists (Duke, Kansas, Okla, UCLA, UNC). He's visiting five schools (all but Iowa State) and UNC was first. Does anybody think he's going to commit to UNC now based on that visit or cancel any of the other visits now that he's seen Chapel Hill? No? Well, then does anybody think he won't have a great time on every visit?

If this kid makes his decision based solely on his first visit, then he's not the kid everyone says he is. So unless HB comes out and says he's leaning somewhere, we won't know anything until he's made all five visits. If then.

Let 'em feel like they've won the battle. It doesn't change anything.

Great call Kedsy. Barnes WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT end up at UNC. No, I don't have a link, but I am going all-out and saying it now. There is a reason he is having Duke as his last visit. I am still more concerned about Kansas than UNC. It is still, and always has been, a Duke-KU battle for HB.

6th Man
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I hope Harrison does schedule a visit to a UNC game in Chapel Hill. He needs to see what it is really like. His trip this past weekend is definitely not what he can expect every game. I am sure he is smart enough to realize that. While it was very impressive I am sure, it was a 100 year celebration. I will let him compare the atmosphere in the Dean Dome to Cameron anyday for regular season games. It is interesting that he and his mom specifically said they wanted to visit schools during basketball season. I remember them being quoted as saying he wasn't going to play football, so why would he visit a school on a football Saturday. He certainly didn't get a taste of a true gameday in Chapel Hill. My hope is that it was a unique oppotunity to witness a big celebration of one of basketball's biggest programs and nothing more. If he got jazzed and moved UNC up a bit, so be it. I feel good that when Harrison looks at academics, the atmosphere of Cameron, the chance to play for the Coach of the National Team, the chance to be a big time recruit in the history of Duke basketball(which I have heard Heel fans say it doesn't matter if they get him or not), he will know which shade of blue to wear!

Greg_Newton
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
This thread has sure taken a strange turn. I think Kedsy has made the only point worth making... it's important to remember that this moment in time will likely be the peak for UNC in Barnes' recruitment, in that they have already pulled out the big guns while the other schools have yet to do so. The fact that they're not the consensus favorite at this point does not bode well for them, as it will be an uphill battle for them going forward. Over the next several months, Harrison will be wowed by his other suitors week-in and week-out and the memories of Shammond Williams battling Bobby Frasor in the Dean Dome will slowly move to the back of his mind. We're fine.

shoutingncu
09-09-2009, 03:37 PM
...the memories of Shammond Williams battling Bobby Frasor in the Dean Dome will slowly move to the back of his mind. We're fine.

That's four Final Fours between them (and a fifth while one was injured), if that sort of thing means anything to Mr. Barnes.

However I agree that Carolina's recruiting has peaked. I don't know that that's a bad thing. HB will be able to compare all other suitors to whatever he took from the weekend in Chapel Hill. Prior to that, he had the unofficials to Duke as the starting off point. Not sure that UNC surpassed those, but HB has already seen Cameron at what I would assume was its most electric last season.

-jk
09-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Folks,

Let's keep to the subject and leave the playground talk to the grade school kids.

thanks,

-jk

Wheat/"/"/"
09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Here is a little video of HB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q47622gAGw)I ran across today on YouTube. I didn't go back through the whole thread to see if it's already been posted.

Like someone was discussing earlier, YouTube sucks if you think you can tell much about a player from these snippits of video, but at least you do get to see a glimps of the kids athleticism.

It's better than nothing in the off season.

eightyearoldsdude
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Folks,

Let's keep to the subject and leave the playground talk to the grade school kids.

thanks,

-jk

OK, my bad. I just think it's absurd when people claim to know what an 18 year old kid is going to do months from now.

FTR, a while ago I asked people to summarize the reasons they are so confident about Barnes going to Duke. I didn't get much response at the time, so I'll ask again. (Obviously I know about the shirt, but I'm assuming there is a lot more evidence to justify this degree of confidence.) Anyone care to enlighten me? Because all I see is a great basketball player who is doing a very methodical evaluation of his top choices and playing his cards close to the vest. The only statement I can make with confidence is that HB is seriously considering UNC and Duke, and perhaps KU--though I heard he has not yet scheduled an official with them, which may or may not be revealing.

roywhite
09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
OK, my bad. I just think it's absurd when people claim to know what an 18 year old kid is going to do months from now.

FTR, a while ago I asked people to summarize the reasons they are so confident about Barnes going to Duke. I didn't get much response at the time, so I'll ask again. (Obviously I know about the shirt, but I'm assuming there is a lot more evidence to justify this degree of confidence.) Anyone care to enlighten me? Because all I see is a great basketball player who is doing a very methodical evaluation of his top choices and playing his cards close to the vest. The only statement I can make with confidence is that HB is seriously considering UNC and Duke, and perhaps KU--though I heard he has not yet scheduled an official with them, which may or may not be revealing.

Have you heard the expression, "Don't feed the trolls?"

eightyearoldsdude
09-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Have you heard the expression, "Don't feed the trolls?"

Yes, but I fail to see how my question qualifies as trolling.

Thus far, I have heard the following bits of evidence:

1) the shirt
2) the drop-by visit
3) HB's statement that Duke was in early / UNC got involved late.

Anyone care to add to the list?

RelativeWays
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM

1) the shirt
2) the drop-by visit

Nobody really knows where HB will go except HB himself. Lots of people of intimated that Barnes will go to Duke because of this superfluous reason, or he'll go to UNC or Kansas because of this superfluous reason. Many inside sources will claim to have the real way HB is leaning

Who knows. Its very likely he could pick UNC or Kansas because they've won championships recently and seem to be in the best shape to do so again in the next 2 or so years. Maybe he'll pick Duke because he can restore them back to the top and be a "legend" or what have you. Maybe he'll pick OU and go the Blake Griffin route and just be the best basketball player out of all of his contemporaries. This is getting to be almost John Wall levels of inescapable hype and jaw wagging. Harrison will be a great player with whichever college he chooses, and I hopes its us, but I'll be glad when its done regardless of who he picks.

BlueintheFace
09-09-2009, 11:15 PM

1) the shirt
2) the drop-by visit

Why is there any reason to add to the list?

I mean, the kid lives in Iowa and will rack up 3 visits to the school before it is all said and done.

Additionally, the "drop by visit" was on his own dime for the sole purpose of "surprising coach K" on his birthday and to view a game in Cameron. It's not like he was in the neighborhood and just happened to drop in.

If you told me that about any recruit and any other school half way across the country from him, I'd believe he was a pretty heavy lean towards that school until he literally declared another school the leader or chose to sign with a different school. Wouldn't you?

Gunnar Kaufman
09-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Looks like Coach K visited with Barnes (http://duke.scout.com/2/897342.html) this morning.

eightyearoldsdude
09-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Why is there any reason to add to the list?

I mean, the kid lives in Iowa and will rack up 3 visits to the school before it is all said and done.

Additionally, the "drop by visit" was on his own dime for the sole purpose of "surprising coach K" on his birthday and to view a game in Cameron. It's not like he was in the neighborhood and just happened to drop in.

If you told me that about any recruit and any other school half way across the country from him, I'd believe he was a pretty heavy lean towards that school until he literally declared another school the leader or chose to sign with a different school. Wouldn't you?

Hey, I'm not diminishing it, I just want to make sure I understand the basis for all the confidence.

eightyearoldsdude
09-10-2009, 01:45 AM
" After that we'll see what gets scheduled."

http://duke.scout.com/2/897342.html

It doesn't look like Barnes has any other official visits lined up, and reading this, one might be tempted to think it's a two-team race between Duke and UNC. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

quickgtp
09-10-2009, 06:10 AM

It is absurd that a unc fan gets that upset because HB will be a Dukie that they need to take personal shots on a DUKE message board. There is a reason why HB is having Duke as his last in-home visit, and why he has taken multiple trips, on his own dime, to the Duke campus. Wait, what about that relationship his family has developed with the Thorntons and Dawkins family? Those are just more reasons, but hey, NO ONE knows HB or what he is thinking, right?

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-10-2009, 06:37 AM
The case you made was strong for Duke and makes me smile but i'm sure Unc, and other schools can also make cases as why HB will go to their school.

Lord Ash
09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Looks like Coach K visited with Barnes (http://duke.scout.com/2/897342.html) this morning.

Ah stupid insider! I can't afford that:( Wish I knew more!

airowe
09-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Wow. Nice move K. Dropping into Ames, Iowa on his way to NJ from Hawaii...

chrisheery
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM

This is fantastic news. This is the sort of move that we seem to have been missing in the last few years. Perhaps it will drive an early committment. Please?

Devilsfan
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Sounds like the Coach K that comes to mind when I think of excellence in sports and business. The Coach K that led teams to Three National Championships and countless Final Fours. Nice to see that work ethic and those competitive juices flowing. Sports needs more role models like our Coach K!

Kedsy
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
It is absurd that a unc fan gets that upset because HB will be a Dukie that they need to take personal shots on a DUKE message board. There is a reason why HB is having Duke as his last in-home visit, and why he has taken multiple trips, on his own dime, to the Duke campus. Wait, what about that relationship his family has developed with the Thorntons and Dawkins family? Those are just more reasons, but hey, NO ONE knows HB or what he is thinking, right?

I don't often side with a Heel, but the octogenarian is right. We think a lot of factors are on our side -- we think there's a reason Duke is his last in-home, etc. -- but we could be dead wrong. We don't know what's running through HB's mind. He's a teenager thrust into a high-stakes, high-pressure game and anything could happen.

BlueintheFace
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Eightyyearsold, did you get the information you were looking for? What are your IC premium friends saying about it?

eightyearoldsdude
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't often side with a Heel, but the octogenarian is right. We think a lot of factors are on our side -- we think there's a reason Duke is his last in-home, etc. -- but we could be dead wrong. We don't know what's running through HB's mind. He's a teenager thrust into a high-stakes, high-pressure game and anything could happen.

The thing is, it ultimately won't matter all that much, because Barnes will be a huge success at any of those schools (even Iowa). If he wants, he'll be a top draft pick after his first year. If he was a post player, or a guy with marginal NBA appeal, or a guy who just had to win an NCAA title to be happy, the program he chose would make a bigger difference. But this kid is going to be great no matter what system he's in. It might just come down to intangibles of school brand, campus atmosphere, teammate relationships, etc.

eightyearoldsdude
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Eightyyearsold, did you get the information you were looking for? What are your IC premium friends saying about it?

Yeah, I did not know about the Dawkins connection. I also didn't realize that UNC had gone hard after him only after the 46 point game. The only other thing IC people said was that his mom & dawkins' mom were inseparable during a visit to Duke. I don't think it's enough to justify "lock" status, however.

jaygdevil11
09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
" After that we'll see what gets scheduled."

http://duke.scout.com/2/897342.html

It doesn't look like Barnes has any other official visits lined up, and reading this, one might be tempted to think it's a two-team race between Duke and UNC. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

That is the first thing that popped in my head as well. I like our chances if we can make it to the 23rd.

SupaDave
09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Wow. Nice move K. Dropping into Ames, Iowa on his way to NJ from Hawaii...

He gets there and says "HB says hello..." Sweet!

yancem
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
He gets there and says "HB says hello..." Sweet!

That may actually be the true genius of the HB visit!!!! Not only does it score some points with Barnes but also scores points with Irving. I think that Irving really wants to play with Barnes and any perceived advantage Duke has of landing him helps with Irving.

I also think that Barnes wants to play with Irving, I'm just not as sure he's as likely to make it the deciding factor.

Bluedevil114
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
That may actually be the true genius of the HB visit!!!! Not only does it score some points with Barnes but also scores points with Irving. I think that Irving really wants to play with Barnes and any perceived advantage Duke has of landing him helps with Irving.

I also think that Barnes wants to play with Irving, I'm just not as sure he's as likely to make it the deciding factor.

Come on.......give me a little more details of the visit.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Would Kyrie commiting be the winning punch we need to get HB? Or what about BK?

FireOgilvie
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Would Kyrie commiting be the winning punch we need to get HB? Or what about BK?

Knight is not coming to Duke if we get Kyrie... and probably not coming even if we don't get Kyrie.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I know they're both not coming. And we do have a big chance to get BK but i was asking Would us(DUKE) landing a Big point guard(KI or BK) be the winning punch for Duke with HB

ChicagoCrazy84
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I think it would. To have Dawkins and the Plumlee's, then you add in a potential first round draft pick PG on the team, that is a situation any stud wing player would want to be a part of.

On BK, not sure how he got brought up. I don't think the staff has been pursuing him for a while. MAYBE if Kyrie decides to go elsewhere, they'll make another push, but I think we'll get Kyrie, so no biggie.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-13-2009, 10:12 AM
When is Harrison's official visit? He is visiting Duke last, does that mean sometime in October, November?

An articale I read on him quoted him saying he won't make a decision until the end of his basketball season. I can't wait that long!

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Were still on his(BK) list so I don't see how he can't come to Duke. I didn't read anything that said we weren't pursuing him anymore. I just think People on this board have a persception that we are not pursuing Bk but i'm pretty sure we still are.

SilkyJ
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Were still on his(BK) list so I don't see how he can't come to Duke.

Really? you can't possibly perceive any scenario wherein BK does not come to Duke.

I'm a little scared to order it, but I'll have what your having.

slower
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Really? you can't possibly perceive any scenario wherein BK does not come to Duke.

I think it contains some kind of mushrooms. ;)

taiw93
09-13-2009, 06:46 PM

I think what dukefanbrooklyn is saying is that he (or she) doesn't understand why everyone else is saying that BK can't come to Duke. Correct me if I'm wrong, dukefanbrooklyn, but this seems to make much more sense.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm a he and yes you are correct thank you for clearing it up.

BlueintheFace
09-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been told that Roy Williams was in-home with Harrison Barnes tonight.

FireOgilvie
09-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I've been told that Roy Williams was in-home with Harrison Barnes tonight.

I hope they served Roy a Pepsi and he takes back the scholarship.

airowe
09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I hope they served Roy a Pepsi and he takes back the scholarship.

I hope the Barnes' did give him a Pepsi, since all Roy drinks is Coke (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6042577).

Kedsy
09-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I hope the Barnes' did give him a Pepsi, since all Roy drinks is Coke (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6042577).

I could be wrong, but I think that was the point of FireOgilvie's joke.

airowe
09-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I could be wrong, but I think that was the point of FireOgilvie's joke.

If it was, then that makes the second time FireOgilvie and I have missed each other's jokes today...

BlueintheFace
09-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Full Court press is on for Mr. Harrison Barnes. Roy is really starting to push, and quite frankly- that's never a good thing if you are a Duke fan. Say what you want, but the man can recruit.

Kedsy
09-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Full Court press is on for Mr. Harrison Barnes. Roy is really starting to push, and quite frankly- that's never a good thing if you are a Duke fan. Say what you want, but the man can recruit.

What's the value of a defeatist attitude? K can recruit too.

BlueintheFace
09-15-2009, 01:39 AM
What's the value of a defeatist attitude? K can recruit too.

who has a defeatist attitude?

flyingdutchdevil
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
who has a defeatist attitude?

Wow. I agree - where was the defeatist attitude? BlueintheFace is merely saying that K needs to continue pressing hard on Barnes (and maybe even harder now) with Ole Roy in the picture.

No one is saying K can't recruit - we're just saying that Roy is an excellent recruiter (as is K) and uses effective tactics to reel in players.

BTW, I have never liked UNC, but I exponentially dislike them when they go after our top priorities. When Roy got B Wright, I was more pissed that when we lose to them...

DukieTiger
09-15-2009, 09:20 AM
While I certainly respect the formidable threat that is Roy boy on the recruiting trail, I tend to think that Roy's recruiting blitzing approach will not serve to his advantage when recruiting a player like Harrison Barnes.

I just think Roy has played all his cards now after his in-home. Think about it, he's already gotten the official visit and the in-home out of the way. Barnes IS going to take all of his visits, which means he isn't going to be sold on one school until he has heard what all of them have to say (by all, I mean Duke, Unc, KU.) So Unc sits the sidelines for a while now, while Duke and KU have their shots to wow Barnes- schools which have been on him longer anyways.

He has a great relationship with Coach K, visits us last, and just seems like a Duke kind of guy. Sure, he could end up going to Unc or KU; he could push it into the spring which makes things a little more up in the air imo. But if you think about it and have a little confidence despite recent setbacks, you would realize that Roy is probably more worried about Barnes going to Duke than K is about Harrison going to Unc.

As a side note, I just can't see Barnes dressing in drag, so... ;)

airowe
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
While I certainly respect the formidable threat that is Roy boy on the recruiting trail, I tend to think that Roy's recruiting blitzing approach will not serve to his advantage when recruiting a player like Harrison Barnes.

I just think Roy has played all his cards now after his in-home. Think about it, he's already gotten the official visit and the in-home out of the way. Barnes IS going to take all of his visits, which means he isn't going to be sold on one school until he has heard what all of them have to say (by all, I mean Duke, Unc, KU.) So Unc sits the sidelines for a while now, while Duke and KU have their shots to wow Barnes- schools which have been on him longer anyways.

He has a great relationship with Coach K, visits us last, and just seems like a Duke kind of guy. Sure, he could end up going to Unc or KU; he could push it into the spring which makes things a little more up in the air imo. But if you think about it and have a little confidence despite recent setbacks, you would realize that Roy is probably more worried about Barnes going to Duke than K is about Harrison going to Unc.

As a side note, I just can't see Barnes dressing in drag, so... ;)

I absolutely agree. The fact that Roy moved up the date of his in-home with Barnes makes me feel like he's unsure of the situation and wants to make sure he's not waiting for nothing.

Roy is a savvy recruiter and doesn't want to miss on guys who can play the same position as Barnes like Terrance Jones or CJ Leslie while waiting for someone who's never coming to play for him anyway.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I absolutely agree. The fact that Roy moved up the date of his in-home with Barnes makes me feel like he's unsure of the situation and wants to make sure he's not waiting for nothing.

Roy is a savvy recruiter and doesn't want to miss on guys who can play the same position as Barnes like Terrance Jones or CJ Leslie while waiting for someone who's never coming to play for him anyway.

From what I gather, UNC is no longer recruiting CJ Leslie, and the rumor is that Roy has canceled his in-home visit with Terrance Jones. So he has definitely pushed all his chips into the middle of the table. I hope he likes his hand.

airowe
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
From what I gather, UNC is no longer recruiting CJ Leslie, and the rumor is that Roy has canceled his in-home visit with Terrance Jones. So he has definitely pushed all his chips into the middle of the table. I hope he likes his hand.

The Terrance Jones' canceling and Roy's feeling about PUNC's chances w/ Barnes could be completely unrelated. Remember McAdoo? Ever heard of Adonis Thomas?

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Could be. Some reasonable people think they're related. I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or another--I was merely responding to an earlier statement about Roy wanting to hurry up the process so that he could recruit Jones or Leslie if Barnes goes elsewhere. That does not appear to be a concern anymore.

airowe
09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Could be. Some reasonable people think they're related. I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or another--I was merely responding to an earlier statement about Roy wanting to hurry up the process so that he could recruit Jones or Leslie if Barnes goes elsewhere. That does not appear to be a concern anymore.

Yeah, I think I may have been wrong about the Terrance Jones part. They are not really the same player. Leslie is very simliar though. Regardless, I don't think the cancelling of the in-home is as related to Barnes as it may seem just because of the concurrent timelines of that and Roy's in-home with Barnes.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I think I may have been wrong about the Terrance Jones part. They are not really the same player. Leslie is very simliar though. Regardless, I don't think the cancelling of the in-home is as related to Barnes as it may seem just because of the concurrent timelines of that and Roy's in-home with Barnes.

A "Barnes Update" thread about the in-home has been skyrocketing on IC Premium the past few hours. I signed up for the 7-day trial at the wrong time, apparently. It is a positive for UNC, from the hints that have been dropped, but it does not appear to be anything definitive.

airowe
09-15-2009, 02:54 PM
A "Barnes Update" thread about the in-home has been skyrocketing on IC Premium the past few hours. I signed up for the 7-day trial at the wrong time, apparently. It is a positive for UNC, from the hints that have been dropped, but it does not appear to be anything definitive.

Maybe a lot of posters wondering why Harrison didn't give a verbal. Be patient dude, this is going to be a long ride.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe a lot of posters wondering why Harrison didn't give a verbal. Be patient dude, this is going to be a long ride.

I don't think that's it.

airowe
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think that's it.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41529&postcount=1

Rational Sounding but Trolling: 5 points, expires after 120 days.

Rational Sounding but Trolling - Snarky and semi-insulting comments mainly to get under the skin of posters.

This guy is definitely getting under my skin. Maybe it's just me though...

BlueintheFace
09-15-2009, 03:24 PM
eightyearsoldude- If you have significant information to add about Carolina's recruitment of Harrison Barnes, spit it out. You won't find anybody here who appreciates vague and unsubstantiated references to how Barnes MIGHT be leaning towards Carolina. That doesn't add anything.

So I'll ask you, do you have something you want to say? Is there any reason for you to believe that Barnes is leaning towards Carolina?

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Rational Sounding but Trolling - Snarky and semi-insulting comments mainly to get under the skin of posters.

Woah! Pardon me if I'm skeptical about your hypothesis. If that's getting under your skin, perhaps you need to see your dermatologist. JUST KIDDING.

Look, I'm here because the IC free board is filled with homers and people who start threads like, "Calipari sleep's with a clear conscious." Call me an elitist, but I can't stand ignorance. Not that you don't have some of it over here, but DBR is a little slower-paced, and I'm convinced the idiots like a commotion.

I know we're all a little on edge about the Barnes recruitment, so I apologize if I hit a nerve.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
eightyearsoldude- If you have significant information to add about Carolina's recruitment of Harrison Barnes, spit it out. You won't find anybody here who appreciates vague and unsubstantiated references to how Barnes MIGHT be leaning towards Carolina. That doesn't add anything.

So I'll ask you, do you have something you want to say? Is there any reason for you to believe that Barnes is leaning towards Carolina?

I never said he was leaning toward UNC. I don't have any inside info--heck, I no longer even have IC premium. I just don't get the impression that that skyrocketing thread is handwringing over Barnes not verballing during Roy's in-home, as was suggested. From the crumbs that have dropped down to TDD and the IC free board, it sounds like the visit went well. Barnes may have had some nice quotes. I dunno. I'm just glad Carolina is in it.

dukebb444
09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Woah! Pardon me if I'm skeptical about your hypothesis. If that's getting under your skin, perhaps you need to see your dermatologist. JUST KIDDING.

Look, I'm here because the IC free board is filled with homers and people who start threads like, "Calipari sleep's with a clear conscious." Call me an elitist, but I can't stand ignorance. Not that you don't have some of it over here, but DBR is a little slower-paced, and I'm convinced the idiots like a commotion.

I know we're all a little on edge about the Barnes recruitment, so I apologize if I hit a nerve.

are you telling on your fellow hole friends? homers and ignorance?

DukieTiger
09-15-2009, 03:46 PM
No offense but would you expect it NOT to go well? It's an in-home visit with a hall of fame coach. I'm sure he enjoyed talking with Roy. Today is the day I would EXPECT lots of chatter on a pro-unc board. But if you go off of just that, you are going to be sweating for the next month, my friend. If Barnes didn't verbal today or doesn't soon (he didn't and won't, imo) then as I have said before that means Roy is out of moves and it is Self and K's turn. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of Jayhawk and Blue Devil chatter during those visits. I don't think any of us should jump to conclusions. All indications given are that Barnes WILL let the process play out.

But you shouldn't be worried, since you guys don't "need" Barnes. ;)

ETA: I hope that doesn't sound like I was attacking you, 8yo, I agree that Unc is IN it and I also agree with you that we should all just take a chill pill and wait for this one to play out.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 03:48 PM
are you telling on your fellow hole friends? homers and ignorance?

Lots of Carolina fans will admit that IC has a lot of knuckleheads. I think it has more traffic than any other college bball fan site, so naturally it will get a lot of idiots as well.

And every fan site is full of homers. I'd just rather debate with Duke homers than argue about angels on heads of pins with UNC homers.

airowe
09-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Get IC Premium, I got TDD Premium to get away from the losers on the free board over there. It's worth the money. You won't find much over here other than arguments, especially not with your tone. Wheat and some other Holes engage us in intelligent conversation and discussion, but you seem to just be over here to antagonize and prod and poke.

I love getting the viewpoint of intelligent Holes, but they are few and far between it seems. I'd rather not insulate myself from the outside world and live in a Duke blue bubble, but I also don't appreciate Tarheel fans coming into a largely Duke sanctuary (away from the "homers and people who start threads like, "Calipari sleep's with a clear conscious.") I can't stand ignorance either.

Thanks for the back-handed compliment above: "Call me an elitist, but I can't stand ignorance. Not that you don't have some of it over here, but DBR is a little slower-paced" but please try to keep this board as you like it, and don't try to bring it back down to I(diot) C(entral).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

sagegrouse
09-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Uhhh...

Aforementioned poster (who BTW is not 80YO) is a declared Carolina fan and cannot, therefore, be a troll. Annoying at times, yes, but of course, he is a Carolina fan.

I accept his further clarifications about IC as being quite reasonable.

Also, moderator try-outs are not until November (yes, I am making this up), so why don't you stick to being a really valuable poster who is running laps around the rest of us sluggards:)?

sagegrouse

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Get IC Premium, I got TDD Premium to get away from the losers on the free board over there. It's worth the money. You won't find much over here other than arguments, especially not with your tone. Wheat and some other Holes engage us in intelligent conversation and discussion, but you seem to just be over here to antagonize and prod and poke.

I love getting the viewpoint of intelligent Holes, but they are few and far between it seems. I'd rather not insulate myself from the outside world and live in a Duke blue bubble, but I also don't appreciate Tarheel fans coming into a largely Duke sanctuary (away from the "homers and people who start threads like, "Calipari sleep's with a clear conscious.") I can't stand ignorance either.

Thanks for the back-handed compliment above: "Call me an elitist, but I can't stand ignorance. Not that you don't have some of it over here, but DBR is a little slower-paced" but please try to keep this board as you like it, and don't try to bring it back down to I(diot) C(entral).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I did not mean to upset you, and I'm not sure what I said that felt like poking or antagonism to you, but pursuing this is probably counterproductive.

airowe
09-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Uhhh...

Aforementioned poster (who BTW is not 80YO) is a declared Carolina fan and cannot, therefore, be a troll. Annoying at times, yes, but of course, he is a Carolina fan.

Also, moderator try-outs are not until November (yes, I am making this up), so why don't you stick to being a really valuable poster who is running laps around the rest of us sluggards:)?

sagegrouse

Got it. Thanks. And I'm sorry, just running around ragged and yes, I'm on edge. I don't want to be a NARC. I will not overstep my bounds, I just love this place {single tear} and want to keep it beautiful.

http://www.jandjfloors.net/dnn/Portals/0/images/J%20&%20J%20Pictures%20003.jpg

airowe
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I did not mean to upset you, and I'm not sure what I said that felt like poking or antagonism to you, but pursuing this is probably counterproductive.

Sorry 80YOD. Shake on it?

https://carytowndollsandbears.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/flags/09.28/c20526d.jpg

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Uhhh...

sagegrouse

Ha--I can't wait to tell my wife that I have been upgraded from "troll" to "annoying." It's like the Bluth Company going from "sell" to "don't buy."

So anywhoo, I think the current malaise is intrinsic to the offseason, especially peak recruiting periods. When real basketball starts, we'll have plenty of tangible stuff to argue about, and evidence to muster. But as of now, debates center on innuendo, symbolism, and bluffs from supposed insiders. Once Barnes makes a decision, the season will be upon us, and we may not have a Duke-UNC recruiting battle for a year or so (I'm thinking Tokoto may be Barnes Redux). Until then, I hope Barnes puts a flaming bag of dog doo on Coach K's doorstep. May the best team win. :)

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

https://carytowndollsandbears.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/flags/09.28/c20526d.jpg

Shake on it. I know that a toxic combination of boredom and hatred of your institution will bring me close to the lines, and like the immortal Walter Sobchak, "I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do not!"

Lord Ash
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Whoa whoa whoa... this isn't a house divided! This is the DUKE Basketball Report... no divide there at all!

:)

airowe
09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Ha--I can't wait to tell my wife that I have been upgraded from "troll" to "annoying." It's like the Bluth Company going from "sell" to "don't buy."

and we may not have a Duke-UNC recruiting battle for a year or so (I'm thinking Tokoto may be Barnes Redux). May the best team win. :)

Marshall Plumlee may have something to say about that. He was definitely at your Alumni Scrimmage.

eightyearoldsdude
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Marshall Plumlee may have something to say about that. He was definitely at your Alumni Scrimmage.

Oh yeah, I forgot about MP3. A UNC commitment would certainly make for some interesting Thanksgiving dinners at chez Plumlee.

SushiChef
09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Aforementioned poster (who BTW is not 80YO) ...

sagegrouse

He's not calling himself 80 years old. He's referring to the line in the Big Lebowski where Walter is explaining that Quintana is a pederast: "Eight year-olds dude."

sagegrouse
09-15-2009, 04:47 PM
He's not calling himself 80 years old. He's referring to the line in the Big Lebowski where Walter is explaining that Quintana is a pederast: "Eight year-olds dude."

That's what I said. Others have referred to him as "the octagenarian."

sagegrouse

wilko
09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Until then, I hope Barnes puts a flaming bag of dog doo on Coach K's doorstep. May the best team win. :)

Back at ya buddy.... and I hope the team bus crashes...

BlueintheFace
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Back to Harrison Barnes...

Anyone else starting to feel like this is a two horse race and the other horse is a pain in the butt?

airowe
09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Back to Harrison Barnes...

Anyone else starting to feel like this is a two horse race and the other horse is a pain in the butt?

One horse, one donkey. Pain in the ***

Kedsy
09-15-2009, 05:22 PM
That's what I said. Others have referred to him as "the octagenarian."

sagegrouse

I was the one who called him the octagenarian. I was joking.

shoutingncu
09-15-2009, 08:31 PM
No offense but would you expect it NOT to go well? It's an in-home visit with a hall of fame coach. I'm sure he enjoyed talking with Roy. Today is the day I would EXPECT lots of chatter on a pro-unc board.

I'll spare you the chatter because I'm with the Dude on preferring the dialogue of DBR, but here's a unc slanted write-up on HB. Beware the source.

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/sports/story/52185.html

(Just re-read and the quotes seem to come from before the in-home, so I guess nothing really new. Still... quotes I'd not read yet)

roywhite
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I'll spare you the chatter because I'm with the Dude on preferring the dialogue of DBR, but here's a unc slanted write-up on HB. Beware the source.

Eddy Landreth alert. Makes Art Chansky look like a fair-minded writer.

shoutingncu
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Eddy Landreth alert. Makes Art Chansky look like a fair-minded writer.

Ah, that explains it. It is very glowing...

airowe
09-15-2009, 08:57 PM

(Just re-read and the quotes seem to come from before the in-home, so I guess nothing really new. Still... quotes I'd not read yet)

Did Landreth reveal a recruiting violation by Ol' Roy?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/995fa5004e0b872688f5f81ad6fc8b25/overviewchart.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=995fa5004e0b872688f5f81ad6fc8b25

~No off-campus contacts during
junior year

Williams stood on the lawn of Barnes' home two days after UNC won the 2009 national championship back in April, waiting for the clock to hit the legal time he could knock on the door and speak with Barnes and his family.

:eek:

6th Man
09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
What irks me the most about this Harrison Barnes-UNC crap is after talking with many UNC fans/grads...I get the impression the excitement of this is not obtaining an outstanding player, but snatching a Duke lock right out from under them. In the article just posted, it spends plenty of time talking about taking a Duke lock. UNC is coming off a Championship, a domination of the recent Duke-UNC series, and great recruiting success. Really Barnes is just another face in the sissy blue. At Duke, he would become the key ingredient that helps turn Duke back into a legit title contender. Along with Kyrie Irving(who is every bit as critical). Just replay Lawson destroying the Devils if you don't believe me.

Again, I hope Barnes visits UNC during the season. I think it is important that he sees a normal gameday at UNC. While very impressive, it's not always going to be the 100 year celebration. If UNC is ultimately what he chooses, then best of luck to him. I guess my point is he can come to Duke and become a very important figure in the history of Duke basketball, or go to UNC and be another face on the team and be known to Tarheel fans as just the guy we stole from Duke.

BlueintheFace
09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Apparently Kendall Marshall is telling people he is "pretty sure" Barnes is headed to Carolina...

I love recruiting season... never know what to believe

airowe
09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Apparently Kendall Marshall is telling people he is "pretty sure" Barnes is headed to Carolina...

MY OPINION IS... i think something BIG is going to happen VERY soon... watch my word... I guess December isnt that far away ;)

This is all he said in his tweet. And he changed it from this:

i think something BIG is going to happen VERY soon... watch my word... i guess December isnt that far away ;)

He could have been talking about ANYTHING!

bass-piscator
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Perhaps because I'm a newbie, I think differently. I became a Duke fan when I moved from Upstate NY to So. Cal. to Durham with a transfer with GTE (remember them?) I never gave a dang about college hoops before then. Arriving, I even bought a very cool UNC sweat pant. Wore it many times. Until recently, my kids too. Dined many times at Spanky's. Had nothing bad to say about UNC. My young in-laws (young as me at the time too) came down to visit and all six of us crammed into a 1996 Toyota Prelude and went to the Duke campus. Great Time. Somewhere, somehow turning on the TV and watching some games I fell in love with Duke.

Anyway, two great programs. Clean and good.

Harrison should take his time and pick the best program.....DUKE

I think the sweats went to good will.

Duvall
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
RESOLVED: Any thread that descends into frantic untangling of the enigmatic Tweets of high school students should be immediately and permanently locked.

Greg_Newton
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM

I can't view his tweets, but per a post on TDD:

kendallmarshall: Yesss! it happened! My headphones finally came in! lol its funny seeing how worked up Carolina fans can get.. lol i love yall to death but
1 minute ago from web

kendallmarshall: I couldnt pass up the opputunity to mess with yall... well i've had my fun for tonight so night night twit world... and UNC fans lol.. ZZzzz
less than 5 seconds ago from web

Well played sir. We really need to stop listening to every rumor started by Kendall Marshall and his dad.

BlueintheFace
09-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Like I said, you never know what to believe. Gotta love recruiting season.

JaMarcus Russell
09-16-2009, 02:18 AM
This reminds me of when AJ McCarron (a high school quarterback who had committed to Alabama) went on a Birmingham radio station in December and said that Alabama was in "great shape" for just about every undecided 5-star recruit on Rivals:D Of course, most of them didn't go to Alabama, but since Trent Richardson eventually signed, he was considered a prophet by the biggest Alabama homers.

DBFAN
09-16-2009, 02:18 AM
After reading that article on the Front page, I just do not like our chances with Barnes now. I was worried about the whole 100 years of UNC Bball since last year, I was worried they were going to have MJ out for every recruit, and it has happened. I read the reactions by Barnes and his Mom, and now we know Jordan is in his name, I just don't think it is realistic at this point. I was just hoping that he would not get overwhelmed by all of the hype over there, but how can you blame a 17 yr old kid not to get excited when MJ is right in front of you. I am sorry for being so pessimistic, but this has kinda bummed me out.

roywhite
09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
After reading that article on the Front page, I just do not like our chances with Barnes now. I was worried about the whole 100 years of UNC Bball since last year, I was worried they were going to have MJ out for every recruit, and it has happened. I read the reactions by Barnes and his Mom, and now we know Jordan is in his name, I just don't think it is realistic at this point. I was just hoping that he would not get overwhelmed by all of the hype over there, but how can you blame a 17 yr old kid not to get excited when MJ is right in front of you. I am sorry for being so pessimistic, but this has kinda bummed me out.

One point to consider here is that UNC has already had their on-campus visit and in-home visit with Barnes. Duke is scheduled to visit him on October 5, and Barnes is scheduled to visit campus October 23. In this recruiting war, we've got some ammunition left.

chrisheery
09-16-2009, 08:14 AM

From the interviews I have heard Harrison Barnes give, if he heard MJ's HOF acceptance speech, his awe of MJ just took a big hit. Harrison seems like an extremely intelligent person with values that highlight team and family. MJ did everything he could last week to show that he thought individuals determine everything. That includes his half hearted nod to his kids and completely ignoring his ex-wife. I used to love MJ as much as (probably way more than) anyone. But his speech and overall lack of wisdom and grace in recent years has been a sad surprise. I suppose that is how Harrison might not have been impressed as much by Jordan's presence.

kong123
09-16-2009, 08:31 AM
If anything, Barnes will probably come away with the understanding of how competitive MJ is and was. How he had ultimate confidence in himself, that he could change the outcome of any game with his singular effort. If we know one thing about people who are wildly successful, whether they are sports figures or political figures, they all have their flaws. And.. its these personality defects that make them the people that they are, for better or worse. If anything, Barnes may identify with him more.

Duke79UNLV77
09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
You have a combined over 400 career technicals by Wallace and Stackhouse, Vince Carter's saying he couldn't dunk anymore to get out of Toronto, Phil Ford's repeated .20 DWIs, McCants' comparing college to prison, Worthy's solicitation bust, and McInnis's, well, issues. it's just too bad Makhtar couldn't make it.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
The race is still looking tight for HB.

Article. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/college_hoops/story/950328.html)

airowe
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
You have a combined over 400 career technicals by Wallace and Stackhouse, Vince Carter's saying he couldn't dunk anymore to get out of Toronto, Phil Ford's repeated .20 DWIs, McCants' comparing college to prison, Worthy's solicitation bust, and McInnis's, well, issues. it's just too bad Makhtar couldn't make it.

There's one thing all the aforementioned players have in common. None of them were coached by Roy Williams.

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Perhaps because I'm a newbie, I think differently. I became a Duke fan when I moved from Upstate NY to So. Cal. to Durham with a transfer with GTE (remember them?) I never gave a dang about college hoops before then. Arriving, I even bought a very cool UNC sweat pant. Wore it many times. Until recently, my kids too. Dined many times at Spanky's. Had nothing bad to say about UNC. My young in-laws (young as me at the time too) came down to visit and all six of us crammed into a 1996 Toyota Prelude and went to the Duke campus. Great Time. Somewhere, somehow turning on the TV and watching some games I fell in love with Duke.

Anyway, two great programs. Clean and good.

Harrison should take his time and pick the best program.....DUKE

I think the sweats went to good will.

If I ever see anyone cram into a TOYOTA Prelude - I'm checking myself in somewhere.

But I get you - there IS a difference between the two campus atmospheres.

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
From the interviews I have heard Harrison Barnes give, if he heard MJ's HOF acceptance speech, his awe of MJ just took a big hit. Harrison seems like an extremely intelligent person with values that highlight team and family. MJ did everything he could last week to show that he thought individuals determine everything. That includes his half hearted nod to his kids and completely ignoring his ex-wife. I used to love MJ as much as (probably way more than) anyone. But his speech and overall lack of wisdom and grace in recent years has been a sad surprise. I suppose that is how Harrison might not have been impressed as much by Jordan's presence.

You've obviously never had an ex-wife...

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
The race is still looking tight for HB.

Article. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/college_hoops/story/950328.html)

Oh yeah - they probably don't write pro-UNC articles in Charlotte. (rolleyes)

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM

I would have gone to the celebration, LOVED it, gone bananas, maybe even asked MJ for an autograph after joking with Stackhouse about John Wall dunking on him, and STILL would dislike the dang school. It's hype and it dies down. If you pay CLOSE attention - they were impressed by Mr. Jordan but everything else they say is pretty much status quo. They already KNOW their way around Duke.

SushiChef
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I would have gone to the celebration, LOVED it, gone bananas, maybe even asked MJ for an autograph after joking with Stackhouse about John Wall dunking on him, and STILL would dislike the dang school. It's hype and it dies down. If you pay CLOSE attention - they were impressed by Mr. Jordan but everything else they say is pretty much status quo. They already KNOW their way around Duke.

I agree. Also, if you think about it, what does Roy Williams' current program have to do with MJ, Stackhouse, Carter, etc.? Whereas with Coach K, you have current NBA stars (future HOFers) that have been directly coached by him and have expressed how much they loved playing for him.

airowe
09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Sure, he's excited to meet MJ, I'm sure a ton of aspiring NBA players do. But, the question is how much does Harrison correlate Michael Jordan to Carolina? Even in this pro-UNC article, his Mom talks about taping Bulls games of Michael's. Think about where they live. Ames, Iowa. What's the closest NBA team? Chicago Bulls. Michael Jordan and Carolina are probably not as closely linked in Iowa as they are in the Triangle.

Let's consider something a little more pertinent to this situation. What does Harrison want in the end? A successful pro career followed by a successful business life. Let's deal with the NBA career first and look at who has put more successful wings into the League, Roy or K.

Roy
Paul Pierce
Marvin Williams
Danny Green

K
Grant Hill
Corey Maggette
Shane Battier
Mike Dunleavy
Luol Deng
Gerald Henderson

The education part is self-explanatory.

PUNC and Roy have made up ground in this recruitment, but there's no reason to think they've taken the lead. Once the pomp and circumstance wears off from the Alumni Game, Harrison has Coach K and his staff in-home, and he comes to Duke (again), then he will make his decision. It's not going to happen today or tomorrow. Let it play out.

UrinalCake
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope he didn't ask MJ for any business advice

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope he didn't ask MJ for any business advice

Management advice? Perhaps but there's a reason that ex-wife is being ignored! And it's called 450 MILLION dollars!!! I think I'd let Jordan school me on a few business ideas...

novablue4
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
:confused:
Even GM. Ooooops.

I think this is getting too much like when Dean Smith would come in at time in the last month and take a kid. Digger Phelps said Notre Dame had David Popkins until Dean came in. It was over.

I wonder about K's ability to recruit and seal the deal with his additional duties, his commercial and not for profit involvements, Teanm USA and on and on.

If Harrison goes someplace else, I say KU, heck go to UCONN if you don't really care; but stay away fron Chapel Hill. I am a huge K fan. I also was a tremedous fan of Joe Gibbs and Billy G. But at some point it seeps away.

I still will ways be a Dukie even when Clemson is up by 69 at the half reguarly.

Maybe it is like Health Care and the War in Iraq; people are fatigued and then get angry, and finally just don't really care that much anymore. They want to know some answes and more on.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
While I freely admit to not knowing anything about HB beyond the YouTube clips and an occaisional article...

I think one of the biggest factors that favors Duke is that Reggie Bullock has already commited to UNC, and that John Henson will likely spend time on the wing next year too.

Not that HB is afraid of competition or anything like that, but there are only so many minutes in a game, even the way Roy likes to play. He would not likely be the primary focus of the offense, which may or may not matter to him. Just how much PT he wants a game is a factor for him to consider.

I would, if I was him.

As for recruiting...
IMO, UNC and Roy are the 500lb gorilla in the room when it comes to recruits lately. That's just the way it is, at least for now. Some Duke fans can try to downplay that, but the players are sitting up a little straighter in their chairs when UNC comes calling these days, moreso than anyone else.

For UNC to still be in this HB race with the potential roster they have, and the "you're the man" PT that great programs like Duke and Kansas offer, is a testament to that.

Barnes would be in the mix with Henson, Bullock, Graves, Leslie and Watts for PT next season. There is some considerable talent there, and he's still seriously considering UNC?

As a UNC fan, I like our situation at the moment. And will enjoy watching him play where-ever he goes.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
While I freely admit to not knowing anything about HB beyond the YouTube clips and an occaisional article...

I think one of the biggest factors that favors Duke is that Reggie Bullock has already commited to UNC, and that John Henson will likely spend time on the wing next year too.

Not that HB is afraid of competition or anything like that, but there are only so many minutes in a game, even the way Roy likes to play. He would not likely be the primary focus of the offense, which may or may not matter to him. Just how much PT he wants a game is a factor for him to consider.

I would, if I was him.

As for recruiting...
IMO, UNC and Roy are the 500lb gorilla in the room when it comes to recruits lately. That's just the way it is, at least for now. Some Duke fans can try to downplay that, but the players are sitting up a little straighter in their chairs when UNC comes calling these days, moreso than anyone else.

For UNC to still be in this HB race with the potential roster they have, and the "you're the man" PT that great programs like Duke and Kansas offer, is a testament to that.

Barnes would be in the mix with Henson, Bullock, Graves, Leslie and Watts for PT next season. There is some considerable talent there, and he's still seriously considering UNC?

As a UNC fan, I like our situation at the moment. And will enjoy watching him play where-ever he goes.

I agree. Although, Roy has had the benefit of a once-in-a-hundred years event where the greatest player in the sport (debatable, but not easily) was being inducted into the Hall of Fame, a NC banner being unfurled, and a ring ceremony for the same NC all in one weekend where Harrison was visiting. Duke had a game where Carolina beat the crap out of them, and a coach who was evidently too busy with the Olympic team to stay involved with recruiting. So, on the other hand, it's pretty impressive that Duke has been able to stay in the race, given the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that is Carolina and all of these once-in-a-century events.

Roy is getting a lot of recruits, but he's missing on some too. It's not like he's automatic. Samardo Samuels, Kyle Singler, Ryan Kelly, Spencer Hawes, Kevin Love, Delvin Roe, and Kevin Durant, just to name a few....

Azdukefan
09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I agree. Although, Roy has had the benefit of a once-in-a-hundred years event where the greatest player in the sport (debatable, but not easily) was being inducted into the Hall of Fame, a NC banner being unfurled, and a ring ceremony for the same NC all in one weekend where Harrison was visiting. Duke had a game where Carolina beat the crap out of them, and a coach who was evidently too busy with the Olympic team to stay involved with recruiting. So, on the other hand, it's pretty impressive that Duke has been able to stay in the race, given the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that is Carolina and all of these once-in-a-century events.

Roy is getting a lot of recruits, but he's missing on some too. It's not like he's automatic. Samardo Samuels, Kyle Singler, Ryan Kelly, Spencer Hawes, Kevin Love, Delvin Roe, and Kevin Durant, just to name a few....

Sounds like you are pretty positive about our situation (I know you are going to say it is just reality) but, Coach K is too busy with the national team to recruit? That is beyond comical. I too am not excited about his first or second stint but Duke would not be relevant right now without Coach K so he has earned the right to lead the national team if he wishes. I have no worries that K would take on other duties and neglect his primary duty at Duke. If HB goes to Carolina, it will not be based on K's olympic committment it will be based on the cards falling into place at the right time (alum game, MJ HOF, and oh ya they did just win a NC).

I agree that Roy is atop the game right now in getting recruits (and doing it the right way) but we were involved with HB way before PUNC and I think this will be the deciding factor-loyalty.

sandinmyshoes
09-16-2009, 01:10 PM

What is troublesome to me, is who he gets when he misses. For instance, he misses on Roe and gets Ed Davis instead.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds like you are pretty positive about our situation (I know you are going to say it is just reality) but, Coach K is too busy with the national team to recruit? That is beyond comical. I too am not excited about his first or second stint but Duke would not be relevant right now without Coach K so he has earned the right to lead the national team if he wishes. I have no worries that K would take on other duties and neglect his primary duty at Duke. If HB goes to Carolina, it will not be based on K's olympic committment it will be based on the cards falling into place at the right time (alum game, MJ HOF, and oh ya they did just win a NC).

I agree that Roy is atop the game right now in getting recruits (and doing it the right way) but we were involved with HB way before PUNC and I think this will be the deciding factor-loyalty.

AZDuke, go back and read this thread and my comments in it. Not to mention my comments on the Olympic thing. I've been nothing but positive on both fronts. I was being tongue-in-cheek and responding to a mainly backhanded complimentary post by Wheat.

jipops
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM

I would, if I was him.

As for recruiting...

I totally agree. If Roy wasn't making such a legitimate push this thread would be about half as long as it currently is.

I think the biggest pros for Duke are Coach K and academics. I'm not saying academics is not a factor at UNC, but it is widely perceived that academics are at the forefront for athletes a bit more at Duke. This could very well entice Harrison being the type of student he is. Please don't get me wrong in this, I'm not saying that if Harrison chose UNC he would be giving up on academics. I'm just talking about the perception that is out there. Whatever Harrison decides, it's not going to be the wrong choice for him. It could just be the wrong choice for certain groups of fans.

Azdukefan
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
AZDuke, go back and read this thread and my comments in it. Not to mention my comments on the Olympic thing. I've been nothing but positive on both fronts. I was being tongue-in-cheek and responding to a mainly backhanded complimentary post by Wheat.

I apologize, I only read the one response. Sorry, next time I will read further before I open my big mouth! Sorry again!

eightyearoldsdude
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

I would, if I was him.

As for recruiting...

I mostly agree--though it's possible that HB thinks Henson will be in the NBA or playing the 4, since Deon will be gone and probably Ed too. However, that is more than balanced out by Strickland, whom you forgot to mention. Strick, Bullock and Barnes all look like starters for any team in the nation, but only two could start at UNC. Barnes would be one of them, but he would probably average at least 5 minutes more at Duke.

so yeah, I'm pretty impressed with roy these days. Is he offering them Armanis now? I heard Brioni's fall line is out of this world.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I apologize, I only read the one response. Sorry, next time I will read further before I open my big mouth! Sorry again!

No worries, my dry (very) sense of humor and poor attempts at sarcasm don't come across all that well in a 2-dimensional medium. Come to think of it, they don't come across that well in a 3-dimensional medium either...

Now, let's get pumped for Roscoe Smith's in-home visit tomorrow night and Austin Rivers' visit this weekend...

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I was being tongue-in-cheek and responding to a mainly backhanded complimentary post by Wheat.

Is there any other way and still keep my UNC union card? ;)

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM
BTW, My two cents...

Coach K coaching the best players in the world and winning gold medals is a big positive for Duke recruiting.

To argue otherwise is foolish, imo.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Is there any other way and still keep my UNC union card? ;)

never had one so I don't know the requirements but if they gave an award out for heavily disguised backhanded compliments, I would not Kanye West you getting that award.

This Duke-PUNC recruiting battle over Harrison Barnes has really heated up. I wonder if there will be much scorn from whichever side he doesn't pick?

NSDukeFan
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM
This Duke-PUNC recruiting battle over Harrison Barnes has really heated up. I wonder if there will be much scorn from whichever side he doesn't pick?

No, the other side will probably just be grateful they get to see him twice a year and he stays in the ACC.

slower
09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
But, the question is how much does Harrison correlate Michael Jordan to Carolina?

Doesn't pretty much EVERYBODY correlate Jordan to UNC?

Azdukefan
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

I think the point was everyone knows he played for the Bulls, it is not as commonly known amongst the younger crowd that he was a stud at PUNC. I could be wrong.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM

I hope not. I learned long ago to get past things I have no control over.

The college recruitment of a 17 year old kid being handled by the best coaches/programs in the country would qualify as something I have no part in.

I'm just along for the ride. But if he doesn't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.

CMS2478
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I am hearing from lots of UNC fans that are members of premium that they are the leader for Barnes at this point. Obviously, somebody is wrong. Hopefully, them bc I am still under the belief that we are leading and will land Barnes.

NSDukeFan
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Unless you grew up in Carolina and/or were a college basketball history buff, why would you if you were a high school basketball player born around the time MJ was hitting a jumper to beat Georgetown and would be growing up without ever seeing Jordan not winning at the beginning of his NBA career.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM

In the heat of the Tobacco Road rivalry and for those who follow CBB, yes. For a die-hard NBA fan w/ no interest in CBB, maybe not.

I'm a huge NFL fan but once those guys get in the pros I couldn't care less what college they went since I'm not that big of a college football fan.

Indoor66
09-16-2009, 01:51 PM

The college recruitment of a 17 year old kid being handled by the best coaches/programs in the country would qualify as something I have no part in.

I'm just along for the ride. But if he dosen't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.

IMO you are entirely too mature for continued posting on a public board. You should be banned for too high a level of pondering and civility.

jesus_hurley
09-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Unless you grew up in Carolina and/or were a college basketball history buff, why would you if you were a high school basketball player born around the time MJ was hitting a jumper to beat Georgetown and would be growing up without ever seeing Jordan not winning at the beginning of his NBA career.

These days most college basketball players were born around the same time he was winning NBA championships. Their first memory of MJ is probably in a Wizards uni.....

Devilsfan
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I correlate MJ with Da'Bulls, #45 trying to play baseball, and to the rumors of him being a "whale" gambling on the golf course.

slower
09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
These days most college basketball players were born around the same time he was winning NBA championships. Their first memory of MJ is probably in a Wizards uni.....

Just showing my age, I guess.

airowe
09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I am hearing from lots of UNC fans that are members of premium that they are the leader for Barnes at this point. Obviously, somebody is wrong. Hopefully, them bc I am still under the belief that we are leading and will land Barnes.

I'm a member of TDD Premium and the feeling is still, and has been for a long time that Duke is in the lead for this kid.

Things will ebb and flow, and right now Carolina has made the most profound and immediate impact on Barnes. Wait till we get our in-home and OV and see what everyone is saying then. Carolina has already spent those two bullets, Duke hasn't.

NSDukeFan
09-16-2009, 01:56 PM

for the latest installment of I must be getting older. Next you're going to tell me Laettner is 40 years old.:)

slower
09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I'd like to say that it's some consolation that people DON'T associate Jordan with UNC. But I know in my heart that it just means I'm getting old :)

Oh, well - time to go eat my oatmeal! :D

jafarr1
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that trying to guess where a 17-year old athlete will decide to go to college is nearly impossible.

I'm not really surprised that both Duke fans and UNC fans feel they are in the lead. When I hear UNC fans feel Barnes will end up at Duke or vice versa, then it may be news to me.

As for the Jordan thing, choosing UNC because Jordan went there seems similar to choosing NC State because Thompson went there. A lot has changed since the days of MJ. Barnes wouldn't play on the same court, under the same coach, under the same rules, etc. If that's truly the deciding factor, I'll be surprised ... but as I've said, trying to guess what will influence a 17-year old's decision is nearly impossible.

BD80
09-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Harrison took the opportunity for an all-expenses paid trip to watch the UNC alumni game. He got to learn more about the nature and depth of the best rivalry in all of sports.

He then hosted one of the hottest coaches in the sport, got a chance to pick his brain, hear Roy's plan for Harrison's development.

I still like our chances. We still have the two official visits. Harrison has visited on his own dime to surprise Coach K, and has toured our training facilities, and has seen a game in the best venue in basketball. Academics are a huge plus.

The visit for Coach K's bday shows that he and K are developing a relationship - call it corny, but that is a huge part of Coach K's cache.

That Harrison and Kyrie are going through the process at the same time and communicate really helps. Duke is the only school they are both considering, so there will be much bonding as they discuss Duke, which will enhance their mutual perception of Duke.

Roy may actually be helping our chances for Harrison, raising Harrison's interest in the rivalry. If you want to be the best, you want to play against good competition.

jv001
09-16-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm just along for the ride. But if he doesn't pick UNC, I really hope he picks Duke. After all this, I really want to see him play in that rivalry.

I sure wish I could say the same if he picks unc, but I must be honest and say I can't. The reason is there are more idiot unc fans than fans like you. You may feel the same way about us Duke fans and if you do that's ok. I know there are more obnoxious unc fans because there many, many more of them. I used to have to work with them. I think that I will be safe in saying this. If Harrison chooses unc, Coach K will still treat him with respect and will be there for him if needs anything. That's just who Coach K is. I don't feel that same way about old roy. Go Duke!

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Harrison took the opportunity for an all-expenses paid trip to watch the UNC alumni game. He got to learn more about the nature and depth of the best rivalry in all of sports.

He then hosted one of the hottest coaches in the sport, got a chance to pick his brain, hear Roy's plan for Harrison's development.

I still like our chances. We still have the two official visits. Harrison has visited on his own dime to surprise Coach K, and has toured our training facilities, and has seen a game in the best venue in basketball. Academics are a huge plus.

The visit for Coach K's bday shows that he and K are developing a relationship - call it corny, but that is a huge part of Coach K's cache.

That Harrison and Kyrie are going through the process at the same time and communicate really helps. Duke is the only school they are both considering, so there will be much bonding as they discuss Duke, which will enhance their mutual perception of Duke.

Roy may actually be helping our chances for Harrison, raising Harrison's interest in the rivalry. If you want to be the best, you want to play against good competition.

And everyone's favorite early bird - Dawkins - has a good relationship with the both of them and looking at how his situation turned out would make me think hard about going to Duke.

ChicagoCrazy84
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I sure wish I could say the same if he picks unc, but I must be honest and say I can't. The reason is there are more idiot unc fans than fans like you. You may feel the same way about us Duke fans and if you do that's ok. I know there are more obnoxious unc fans because there many, many more of them. I used to have to work with them. I think that I will be safe in saying this. If Harrison chooses unc, Coach K will still treat him with respect and will be there for him if needs anything. That's just who Coach K is. I don't feel that same way about old roy. Go Duke!

I think you're right, but I have heard funny stories like from Nick Collison when he chose KU over Duke, but that's neither here nor there.

I hope Harrison doesn't pick UNC because Jordan was there and Vince and all that stuff. Who cares? Sure, you might be a part of history I guess, but what a shallow reason to pick a school to play for. It's not like Jordan is going to be there watching you play every night and holding your hand while you walk to class. Not to say that James McAdoo made the wrong choice or anything, but honestly? You could be missing out on seeing some cool stuff if you're sitting there star struck and in awe of someone (there is going to be plenty of moments like that in the future if you are being recruited by Duke and UNC) If this was the best recruiting pitch you can make, Indiana St. would be doing better than they are because of Larry Bird.

G man
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I hope Harrison doesn't pick UNC because Jordan was there and Vince and all that stuff. Who cares? Sure, you might be a part of history I guess, but what a shallow reason to pick a school to play for. It's not like Jordan is going to be there watching you play every night and holding your hand while you walk to class. Not to say that James McAdoo made the wrong choice or anything, but honestly? You could be missing out on seeing some cool stuff if you're sitting there star struck and in awe of someone (there is going to be plenty of moments like that in the future if you are being recruited by Duke and UNC) If this was the best recruiting pitch you can make, Indiana St. would be doing better than they are because of Larry Bird.

That was one of the best thoughts I have ever read. If Jordan had graduated 5-6 years ago ok it would be different, but lets be real Jordan is not going to be the deciding factor. Its going to be who gives him the best chance to be the best player. I will feel better once basketball starts for Barnes and Duke.

Kedsy
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
And everyone's favorite early bird - Dawkins - has a good relationship with the both of them and looking at how his situation turned out would make me think hard about going to Duke.

Are you saying Dawkins's situation would be a positive or a negative for Duke? (I would hope positive but I'm not sure what you mean.)

SupaDave
09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Are you saying Dawkins's situation would be a positive or a negative for Duke? (I would hope positive but I'm not sure what you mean.)

Good - showing how flexible and welcoming the program is amongst other things...

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
That was one of the best thoughts I have ever read. If Jordan had graduated 5-6 years ago ok it would be different, but lets be real Jordan is not going to be the deciding factor. Its going to be who gives him the best chance to be the best player. I will feel better once basketball starts for Barnes and Duke.

The concept of HB picking up the phone one day to touch base with fellow alum Jordan, knowing that MJ will take the call...to discuss say, a potential line of shoes...

...and then knowing the follow up number for the decision maker over at Nike MJ gave you knows that MJ is in your corner, should not to be taken lightly.

That's how big deals get done.
The name Michael Jordan still carries a lot of weight on the business side of basketball.

The "it's not what you know, but who you know" cliche' is a cliche' for a reason.

I'm sure HB and family recognize the value of connections, or should we say "family".

And I know Duke offers a fair share of connections too. It's just a matter of which situation the kid feels is best for him.

BTW, There's no limit on knows around here is there?

Bud
09-16-2009, 08:47 PM
We just have to be patient with HB UNC has made up ground but how much is the question. I still say he ends up at Duke but this could get interesting.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Do you really Think the greatest NBA player of all-time Micheal Jordan cares if some hot shot recruit goes to UNC. Recruits come and go and i think Jordan knows that. It may be a big deal to us but for someone like Jordan i don't think so. I think if he wanted to he can possibly be the best recruiter ever just by name.

airowe
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
The concept of HB picking up the phone one day to touch base with fellow alum Jordan, knowing that MJ will take the call...to discuss say, a potential line of shoes...

...and then knowing the follow up number for the decision maker over at Nike MJ gave you knows that MJ is in your corner, should not to be taken lightly.

That's how big deals get done.
The name Michael Jordan still carries a lot of weight on the business side of basketball.

The "it's not what you know, but who you know" cliche' is a cliche' for a reason.

I'm sure HB and family recognize the value of connections, or should we say "family".

And I know Duke offers a fair share of connections too. It's just a matter of which situation the kid feels is best for him.

BTW, There's no limit on knows around here is there?

Eh. If HB is half the player he's supposed to be he's not going to need MJ to get the number of the decision maker at Nike. Not saying he'll be this good, but Lebron seems to be doing OK and he didn't go to Carolina. There are countless others who have gotten endorsement deals with Nike without going there also.

The MJ connection is overrated in this case.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Do you really Think the greatest NBA player of all-time Micheal Jordan cares if some hot shot recruit goes to UNC.

Yes. Probably more than we do.

Wheat/"/"/"
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
The MJ connection is overrated in this case.

Yea, probably. But it just can't be written off like some have tried to do.

mailman2927
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
as far as mj being a connection, i'm sure coach k. can give hb lebron's number or kobe's number and they can also help him out down the line. i'm sure hb realizes they will be a part of coach k.'s usa family most if not all of the time that he, hb, is part of the duke family.

kong123
09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I imagine MJ has Kobe and Lebrons cell numbers, if he wants it. Think those guys idolize MJ more than K?

El_Diablo
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Regarding this whole idiotic "shoe connection" tangent...

UNCLE