PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Barnes recruiting thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

wilko
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I've read on DBR that alumni should stay away from recruits. If, for example, Barnes directly (but unknowingly) solicits donations from a UNC grad, does that cause an issue for UNC's recruitment of him?

If this is true I will gladly bear the burden of wearing a UNC/KU/UK shirt and hand the young man some cash on their behalf as long as some of the faithful can snap some pics...

Seriously tho... this sounds awful hard to get to the bottom of. Big ol he said she said.. But the point is well taken to stay on the sidelines and not get involved.

slower
06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
The article seemed a bit UNC-centric to me and hardly mentioned Duke. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Of course, it WAS written by Kevin Armstrong, Boston College '06 grad.

SupaDave
06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Hope the handwritten letters are from our staff. Sounds like that school will be tough to beat.

This got me to thinking. Guess who's staff members like to write...

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/?cat=4

RelativeWays
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I hope that it resonates with Barnes that a lot of Duke fans want him to come not just because he can throw a ball throw the hoop well, but because he seems to exemplify what we fans want from a student athlete. You look at our players, and the ones that are especially loved were not just good players, they excelled as ambassadors of Duke to the world at large. There's no reason Harrison can not only be part of that legacy, but add his own stamp to it.

SilkyJ
06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
This got me to thinking. Guess who's staff members like to write...

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/?cat=4

When I first read the bit about handwritten letters I remembered back to midseason or so and some one asking coach K if he stays in contact with the pros he coached on the Olympic squad and he said something to the effect of "Yes. We talk and text...well they text, I write them letters. I'm not much of a texter."

Couldn't find the article (after a half-hearted search) but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Madrasdukie
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
When I first read the bit about handwritten letters I remembered back to midseason or so and some one asking coach K if he stays in contact with the pros he coached on the Olympic squad and he said something to the effect of "Yes. We talk and text...well they text, I write them letters. I'm not much of a texter."

Couldn't find the article (after a half-hearted search) but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

I can second you. I, too, remember reading that article / interview.

Oriole Way
07-01-2009, 01:30 AM
why? have we not said this about many a recruit over the past few years

Just a gut feeling. Barnes actually seems like an intellectual young man, and he seems well-grounded. As such, he seems to value a good education and what it will do for him outside of a basketball career. I believe his mother is an educator, so he has been raised to value a good education. I suspect that, similar to Ryan Kelly, who also has a mother in education, this will sway him to Duke because no other school can offer the academic and athletic combination that Duke offers.

NYC Duke Fan
07-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Just a gut feeling. Barnes actually seems like an intellectual young man, and he seems well-grounded. As such, he seems to value a good education and what it will do for him outside of a basketball career. I believe his mother is an educator, so he has been raised to value a good education. I suspect that, similar to Ryan Kelly, who also has a mother in education, this will sway him to Duke because no other school can offer the academic and athletic combination that Duke offers.

Maybe he will pull a Bill Bradley and go to Princeton.

rotogod00
07-01-2009, 08:52 AM

hope you're right, of course. but i hate to get my hopes up after our recent high profile misses.

Cumae Sybl
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM

His mom is a secretary in the musical education department at Iowa State University. She isn't exactly an educator, but as someone who works in an educational institution she probably places an extremely high value on education, as do most employees at educational institutions.

That said, Harrison Barnes will probably not graduate from college, or at least not until he is well into or finished playing professionally. I saw a report on him that said he was the most well rounded and complete forward since LeBron (who obviously has physical gifts outside the realm of belief).

It is one thing to value education, and it is another to be faced with being a multimillionaire after 1 year of college. Now, Harrison may stay beyond 1 year. Who knows? But to plan on that, or to assume that his allegedly high value on education will push him to Duke is a specious hope, at best.

In recent years, lots of kids have talked about placing a high value on education only to spurn Duke for Public Schools in the SEC, which are not known for their academic rigor for regular students, to say nothing of scholly athletes.

And sure, he is the type of exemplary young man Duke likes. Every school likes upstanding, well spoken, serious young athletes. They stay eligible and out of trouble. It is not like Ky is going to say, "Oh, that young man is too nice and upstanding. I don't care how good he is, I don't want any well spoken, polite, studious young men on MY team."

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 09:20 AM
hope you're right, of course. but i hate to get my hopes up after our recent high profile misses.

You should definitely listen to Coach K's feelings on that in his press conference.

roywhite
07-01-2009, 09:29 AM
And sure, he is the type of exemplary young man Duke likes. Every school likes upstanding, well spoken, serious young athletes. They stay eligible and out of trouble. It is not like Ky is going to say, "Oh, that young man is too nice and upstanding. I don't care how good he is, I don't want any well spoken, polite, studious young men on MY team."

Well, perhaps, but I'd say advantage to Duke on this one. We sometimes bemoan the fact that many highly ranked players are not in our sight because they are just not a good fit academically at Duke. But the flip side is that with some of the best and brightest---academics works in our favor.

The player himself usually gets a good idea of where he fits in best with teammates, or potential teammates. For example, I recall Shane Battier being publicly undecided and saying Michigan State was right in the mix before declaring, but some Duke insiders said they would have been surprised if Shane had gone elsewhere.

The deal is not done, but I'm optimistic we'll see Mr. Barnes play for Duke.

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Booyaa!!! Sorry but it was driving me crazy...

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/04/22/coachk20090422/

(doesn't quite say 'letter' but you get the drift and this is pretty recent)

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
His mom is a secretary in the musical education department at Iowa State University. She isn't exactly an educator, but as someone who works in an educational institution she probably places an extremely high value on education, as do most employees at educational institutions.

That said, Harrison Barnes will probably not graduate from college, or at least not until he is well into or finished playing professionally. I saw a report on him that said he was the most well rounded and complete forward since LeBron (who obviously has physical gifts outside the realm of belief).

It is one thing to value education, and it is another to be faced with being a multimillionaire after 1 year of college. Now, Harrison may stay beyond 1 year. Who knows? But to plan on that, or to assume that his allegedly high value on education will push him to Duke is a specious hope, at best.

In recent years, lots of kids have talked about placing a high value on education only to spurn Duke for Public Schools in the SEC, which are not known for their academic rigor for regular students, to say nothing of scholly athletes.

All of this to say what? You must not do much business b/c then you would know that the secretary is the most important person in the building - for so many reasons...

I think our track record speaks for itself, especially with exceptional kids like Harrison - whom we are very much in the race for and has probably allowed himself to become comfortable with Coack K. Who's to say how long he stays? Sounds like you're conceding defeat of a recruit to us only to wish him away. Yep - that's exactly what you sound like b/c we're still trying to imagine him in that Duke jersey.

Cumae Sybl
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
All of this to say what? You must not do much business b/c then you would know that the secretary is the most important person in the building - for so many reasons...

I think our track record speaks for itself, especially with exceptional kids like Harrison - whom we are very much in the race for and has probably allowed himself to become comfortable with Coack K. Who's to say how long he stays? Sounds like you're conceding defeat of a recruit to us only to wish him away. Yep - that's exactly what you sound like b/c we're still trying to imagine him in that Duke jersey.

First, that first paragraph is ludicrous. Is the file clerk at a hospital a Doctor? Is the secretary at Goldman an Investment Banker? Is a secretary at a law firm a Lawyer? No. Of course not. None of those institutions could function without those secretaries. In my original post I did not denigrate the importance of the secretary in an educational institution. I simply said she is not a educator. She does not stand up in front of students and give lectures, write up lesson plans, make up and grade tests, and write out essay questions and then grade them. Those are the tasks of an educator. Said educator could not function without the support of an able secretarial staff. But the secretary is not an educator. My parents are both teachers, so I am confident in saying this.

You sound like one of those people who consider teachers to be completely unimportant by equating them with the secretarial pool.

As for the second paragraph, I did no such thing. I am not wishing him gone before he gets here. I am simply being realistic. Of last year's freshman class, one of the weakest in several years, 1/2 are already in the pros. Yet, people are talking about Barnes by comparing him to Hill and Battier. Yes, he seems to share many of the same qualities as those legends. But a better comparison might be Luol Deng. A star player whose sojurn at whatever school he chooses will be short. Getting 2 years out of Barnes would be a gift from heavan. He almost certainly is not a 4 year player, but that is how a lot of people seem to be considering him.

Look, recruits today are smart, and fairly media savvy. Durant spent his entire frosh year extolling the virtues of college life. He loved the game, the campus, his classes, his class mates, his team mate, and all the fluttering tweety birds in the sky. Most of UT's fans started talking about his soph year. Then he declared for the pros at his first opportunity, as he intended all the while. He played the game correctly. Until I see that Barnes is different, I will work on the belief that an athletic 2/3 with developed basketball skills will not be on campus very long.

K is already putting a press on Quincy Miller from the 2011 class, in a somewhat obvious (I would think) gesture that he doesn't expect to have Barnes on campus all that long. Right now, they play the same position, SF.

I would love to have Barnes, but so would every other program in the country. We have had success with his alleged type before, but so have other schools. Battier and Hill were special. It does no one any favors to try and ascribe their personalites and traits to any HS senior. Battier and Hill weren't the Saints we remember them to be as HS seniors. It took 4 years at Duke to get there. I really don't think that Barnes will spend anywhere near that amount of time in college, especially given his family's radically different financial situtation compared with Hill and Battier.

I put it to the board at large. If we get Barnes, which is a strong possibility, how long do you really expect him to be at Duke?

Tim1515
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
First, that first paragraph is ludicrous. Is the file clerk at a hospital a Doctor? Is the secretary at Goldman an Investment Banker? Is a secretary at a law firm a Lawyer? No. Of course not. None of those institutions could function without those secretaries. In my original post I did not denigrate the importance of the secretary in an educational institution. I simply said she is not a educator. She does not stand up in front of students and give lectures, write up lesson plans, make up and grade tests, and write out essay questions and then grade them. Those are the tasks of an educator. Said educator could not function without the support of an able secretarial staff. But the secretary is not an educator. My parents are both teachers, so I am confident in saying this.

You sound like one of those people who consider teachers to be completely unimportant by equating them with the secretarial pool.

As for the second paragraph, I did no such thing. I am not wishing him gone before he gets here. I am simply being realistic. Of last year's freshman class, one of the weakest in several years, 1/2 are already in the pros. Yet, people are talking about Barnes by comparing him to Hill and Battier. Yes, he seems to share many of the same qualities as those legends. But a better comparison might be Luol Deng. A star player whose sojurn at whatever school he chooses will be short. Getting 2 years out of Barnes would be a gift from heavan. He almost certainly is not a 4 year player, but that is how a lot of people seem to be considering him.

Look, recruits today are smart, and fairly media savvy. Durant spent his entire frosh year extolling the virtues of college life. He loved the game, the campus, his classes, his class mates, his team mate, and all the fluttering tweety birds in the sky. Most of UT's fans started talking about his soph year. Then he declared for the pros at his first opportunity, as he intended all the while. He played the game correctly. Until I see that Barnes is different, I will work on the belief that an athletic 2/3 with developed basketball skills will not be on campus very long.

K is already putting a press on Quincy Miller from the 2011 class, in a somewhat obvious (I would think) gesture that he doesn't expect to have Barnes on campus all that long. Right now, they play the same position, SF.

I would love to have Barnes, but so would every other program in the country. We have had success with his alleged type before, but so have other schools. Battier and Hill were special. It does no one any favors to try and ascribe their personalites and traits to any HS senior. Battier and Hill weren't the Saints we remember them to be as HS seniors. It took 4 years at Duke to get there. I really don't think that Barnes will spend anywhere near that amount of time in college, especially given his family's radically different financial situtation compared with Hill and Battier.

I put it to the board at large. If we get Barnes, which is a strong possibility, how long do you really expect him to be at Duke?

I agree with this. Yes it's great to assume that Barnes will stay in college for 4 years because he values his education and seems like a Duke kid like Battier and Hill...etc etc.

Maybe we all get extremely lucky and that actually happens but it's more likely if he stays 4 years it's because he didn't live up to expectations. Barnes can always finish his education at Duke if he leaves after 1 year...in fact K would encourage it so i don't see how him valuing education really helps the case of him staying longer.

roywhite
07-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Fearless forecast:

Harrison Barnes will attend Duke, stay for 2 years, win 1 national championship, go pro as a high draft choice, but earn his Duke degree within 5 years of matriculating.

Cumae Sybl
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with this. Yes it's great to assume that Barnes will stay in college for 4 years because he values his education and seems like a Duke kid like Battier and Hill...etc etc.

Maybe we all get extremely lucky and that actually happens but it's more likely if he stays 4 years it's because he didn't live up to expectations. Barnes can always finish his education at Duke if he leaves after 1 year...in fact K would encourage it so i don't see how him valuing education really helps the case of him staying longer.

This would be great. I would love to have a successful NBA player spending summers on Campus finishing up class work.

"Hey, recruit x, thanks for dropping by campus for an unofficial visit. Great to have you. Let's go look at our gorgous practice facility. Hey what do you know, some of our current players are playing pickup. Oh sure, Harrison Barnes, NBA all star, plays here a lot during the summer. He is finishing up his degree. He was only here for a year, but we had a great season, and we really supported his decision to leave early. He was ready for the league, and all we ask is that a player stay until he is ready, which we really help our players achieve. Playing against that guy helps out too. Barnes is a freak. Did you see that dunk against the Lakers last year? Crazy. You know, we see a lot Harrison in you, recruit X."

Yeah. I could live with 1 year of him on campus and the 4-5 summers of him finishing up his degree.

SilkyJ
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Booyaa!!! Sorry but it was driving me crazy...

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/04/22/coachk20090422/

(doesn't quite say 'letter' but you get the drift and this is pretty recent)

Nice work...don't think its the article I'm thinking of, but same idea.

Keep writin' those letters, Coach ;)

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Battier and Hill weren't saints? You're kidding right?

Battier, who graduated from Country Day with a 3.96 grade point average and was named the school's outstanding student in his senior year, went on to attend Duke. (That's right. STUDENT. NOT student-ATHLETE).

And well Grant was already a superstar. You couldn't be more wrong.

This kid will be in college to learn and well you can't ask much more of him than that. Let's let him get on a campus before we start wishing him away.

SupaDave
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Well you were the one who felt the need to make the distinction between his mom being a secretary or an educator - as if it truly makes a difference.

And you're most definitely looking at importance the wrong way b/c it in no way has anything to do with a person's position in an organization but everything to do with their function. Something most 'secretaries' understand (and many more get paid top dollar for). Not to mention the fact that she's a mother, who by nature are educators, unless you would like to imply that raising a child requires no parental tutoring or guidance.

m g
07-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Fearless forecast:

Harrison Barnes will attend Duke, stay for 2 years, win 1 national championship, go pro as a high draft choice, but earn his Duke degree within 5 years of matriculating.

one thing about duke is that with 4 classes per semester rather than 5, it's shouldn't be as much of a pain to graduate early or finish the degree later as it would be at other schools. if barnes took 2 summer classes per session before his freshman and sophomore years (not hard to imagine), he would have 24 classes done by the end of his sophomore year. and i'm sure the K center is a much more desirable place to do your offseason workouts and studying than anything other schools can offer their returning players

i think what's different about the barnes recruitment is that duke fans aren't just excited about the possibility of winning a championship with him. barnes is so cut out to be a duke legend. perfect fit at duke, perfect timing, perfect fit on the '10-'11 team. i really don't know if there's a fan base out there that would appreciate him the way ours would, which definitely couldn't be said about some other recent targets who found their fit elsewhere.

Kedsy
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
This would be great. I would love to have a successful NBA player spending summers on Campus finishing up class work.

"Hey, recruit x, thanks for dropping by campus for an unofficial visit. Great to have you. Let's go look at our gorgous practice facility. Hey what do you know, some of our current players are playing pickup. Oh sure, Harrison Barnes, NBA all star, plays here a lot during the summer. He is finishing up his degree. He was only here for a year, but we had a great season, and we really supported his decision to leave early. He was ready for the league, and all we ask is that a player stay until he is ready, which we really help our players achieve. Playing against that guy helps out too. Barnes is a freak. Did you see that dunk against the Lakers last year? Crazy. You know, we see a lot Harrison in you, recruit X."

Yeah. I could live with 1 year of him on campus and the 4-5 summers of him finishing up his degree.

I have to agree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hypothetical scenario. (Although personally I see him staying in college for two years.)

gumbomoop
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Fearless forecast:

Well, if HB stays 2 years, that would mean 2 NCs. And for Duke, that would mean 3 FFs in a row.:rolleyes:

houstondukie
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Very good points, but I still think Barnes stays for at least 3 years and graduates. You can give me a list of 100 players who said they cared about education, etc and then decided to leave early, and I wouldn't change my prediction on Barnes. All I can say is that he is an extremely unique recruit.

Greg_Newton
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Wha... what are you doing? Who cares? Why would you ever say something about a recruit's mother that could even possibly be perceived as negative on a public Duke message board? Did you not read the Xavier/CJ Henry article posted YESTERDAY where the father explicitly stated they were having second thoughts about KU after they saw fans questioning on their family on message boards?

I realize that your intent was not to do this and that you were trying to faciliate discussion, but there is no reason to be focusing on any fears or potential negatives in this thread. There is a very good chance Harrison will check up on this discussion of him at some point (I know I would), and if there is a .0001% chance we could minutely sway his feelings toward Duke one way or the either, we absolutely need to to represent our instution well and avoid ANY potential damaging comments in this thread.

I realize you have a very negative and cynical outlook on Duke's future from reading your other posts in other threads, and that's okay. You make your points well enough. But please, please, please, keep your comments in threads about specific recruits positive. As for the defining his mom's job, speculating that he'll be a one-and-one when he has implied otherwise... can we please just drop it? It can only hurt Duke.

SG24
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Barnes is a key recruit that Duke needs to land, some say he is the best in the country. Here is a video that was posted on Highschoolhoop.com that is a definite must see!!!! Check it out Harrison Barnes doin work.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/video/2009/07/146-of-harrison-barnes-doing-work/

Greg_Newton
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Doesn't look like there'll be any real news regarding Harrison's plans anytime soon... http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=1669.

"I'll make my decision when [my thread on DBR outpaces the John Wall thread]," Barnes said . Well, sounds like it's time for us to kick it into gear...

vango
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I didn't see where he said that but either way that is funny.

I'll lend a hand....

#279. Mr. Barnes, come to Duke.

yancem
07-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Doesn't look like there'll be any real news regarding Harrison's plans anytime soon... http://www.gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=1669.

Well, sounds like it's time for us to kick it into gear...

I didn't see the quote in the article you linked but if he did indeed say that, then we know a couple of things;

1) The kid has a good sense of humor
2) He is perusing the DBR message boards so we need to keep everything positive.
3)He is perusing the DBR message boards which has to mean Duke is at or near the top of his list
4) The sooner we crank up the posts on this thread the sooner he will make a decision:D So keep those post a coming!!!!!!!

Kedsy
07-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I didn't see the quote in the article you linked but if he did indeed say that, then we know a couple of things;

1) The kid has a good sense of humor
2) He is perusing the DBR message boards so we need to keep everything positive.
3)He is perusing the DBR message boards which has to mean Duke is at or near the top of his list
4) The sooner we crank up the posts on this thread the sooner he will make a decision:D So keep those post a coming!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, are you serious?

He didn't say that. It was a joke. That's why Greg_Newton inserted the brackets.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Wha... what are you doing? Who cares? Why would you ever say something about a recruit's mother that could even possibly be perceived as negative on a public Duke message board? Did you not read the Xavier/CJ Henry article posted YESTERDAY where the father explicitly stated they were having second thoughts about KU after they saw fans questioning on their family on message boards?

I realize that your intent was not to do this and that you were trying to faciliate discussion, but there is no reason to be focusing on any fears or potential negatives in this thread. There is a very good chance Harrison will check up on this discussion of him at some point (I know I would), and if there is a .0001% chance we could minutely sway his feelings toward Duke one way or the either, we absolutely need to to represent our instution well and avoid ANY potential damaging comments in this thread.

I realize you have a very negative and cynical outlook on Duke's future from reading your other posts in other threads, and that's okay. You make your points well enough. But please, please, please, keep your comments in threads about specific recruits positive. As for the defining his mom's job, speculating that he'll be a one-and-one when he has implied otherwise... can we please just drop it? It can only hurt Duke.
Cumae Sybl has been banned from this board. See Jason Evans' comment on the last page of the thread titled "Available players...."

Greg_Newton
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh my goodness, are you serious?

He didn't say that. It was a joke. That's why Greg_Newton inserted the brackets.

Lol... I'll admit, it was a rough paraphrase. Apologies for the confusion, although...

2) He is perusing the DBR message boards so we need to keep everything positive."

...probably isn't a bad thing to assume anyway.

Cumae Sybl has been banned from this board. See Jason Evans' comment on the last page of the thread titled "Available players...."

Thanks, I did see that... I think I posted that comment shortly before that happened. Harrison seems like a much smarter kid than Mr. Henry, but in any case it seems clear that recruiting threads on message boards are becoming bigger and bigger potential liabilities for coaches. Luckily, folks here tend to be pretty measured and civil with their comments, with the occaisonal bizarre exception...

cspan37421
07-02-2009, 08:37 PM

This is great news.

I'm pretty skeptical about the loyalties of some of the low-post-count, negative posters. I suppose what it may be in a number of cases is:

1) you are a fan of School X, a rival of Duke for the services of recruit Y.
2) You know that recruit Y and maybe his trusted friends/family, read message boards, incl. DBR
3) You join DBR, pose as a Duke fan but generally write critical/negative posts about the program - keeping it nearly constructive enough to fly under the radar
4) Hope recruit Y gets cold feet about Duke
5) ???
6) Profit!

I hope that recruits realize this sort of gamesmanship is probably going on many colleges' message boards - and I hope they don't put too much stock in anonymous chatter. If they really want to know what a program is like, go ask players who have been through the program. Coach K has a long track record and a lot of former players. Go talk to some of them!

RelativeWays
07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
On other message boards I frequent, they tend to expose the aliases of former banned posters so you know exactly what their agendas are from their previous posting history (and thus are easier to disregard). In any event, I hope Harrison feels that most Duke fans will appreciate whatever he decides to contribute to the univeristy, should he decide to attend Duke.

jimsumner
07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
If a high school athlete is smart enough to be recruited by Duke University, then I suspect they're smart enough to figure out that message boards are inherently subject to sabotage.

roywhite
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
If a high school athlete is smart enough to be recruited by Duke University, then I suspect they're smart enough to figure out that message boards are inherently subject to sabotage.

...and that there is plenty of anti-Duke sentiment in college basketball, even including some in the media. A young man deciding to play for Duke will automatically be scrutinized very closely, and cheered against by many.

RelativeWays
07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
...and that there is plenty of anti-Duke sentiment in college basketball, even including some in the media. A young man deciding to play for Duke will automatically be scrutinized very closely, and cheered against by many.

If they want us to play the villain, let them. Lots of people love Darth Vader, the Joker and Ric Flair too :D

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I just seen an interview with him and he sounds alot like Shane Battier

mr. synellinden
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

I believe this issue -and the related issue of the perception of Duke as not a "cool" basketball school (as compared to say the mid - late 90's) - has been the biggest factor negatively affecting our recruiting in recent years.

roywhite
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe this issue -and the related issue of the perception of Duke as not a "cool" basketball school (as compared to say the mid - late 90's) - has been the biggest factor negatively affecting our recruiting in recent years.

Agree. It should be mentioned more often in discussions about "what's wrong with our recruiting?"

And here's an area where I think Coach K's connection with the Olympics and those players works to our benefit. It's a positive image.

CDu
07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Agree. It should be mentioned more often in discussions about "what's wrong with our recruiting?"

And here's an area where I think Coach K's connection with the Olympics and those players works to our benefit. It's a positive image.

I agree. While I disagree with Coach K's statement that there are no negatives at all to his coaching of the Olympic team, I do agree that it's a net positive for the Duke program. And I think the biggest area in which it is a positive is in recruiting.

As many of us remember Duke's glory years from the late-80s through 2001, the reality is that most of the kids Coach K is recruiting now were very young the last time Duke won a title. The 16-year olds he's recruiting probably barely remember Duke winning in 2001 (when they were 8). And almost none of the recruits were even born back when we won back to back titles. And thus the image that most recruits have seen during their formative years has been a predominantly less athletic team that hasn't experienced much NCAA tournament success.

The Olympic experience re-establishes Duke's connection to something special in the eyes of recruits. They get to see Coach K winning championships and they see Coach K working well with the NBA elite. Not that it was an absolute necessity, but it certainly helps.

Devilsfan
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I wish a few college players would be named to the Olympic team. Wasn't Laetner a dream team member? That would make it even more enticing to play for the best coach on the planet year round.

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 12:02 PM
As many of us remember Duke's glory years from the late-80s through 2001, the reality is that most of the kids Coach K is recruiting now were very young the last time Duke won a title. The 16-year olds he's recruiting probably barely remember Duke winning in 2001 (when they were 8). And almost none of the recruits were even born back when we won back to back titles. And thus the image that most recruits have seen during their formative years has been a predominantly less athletic team that hasn't experienced much NCAA tournament success.

Flawed thinking. Most of them don't remember MJ playing bball either but he's still pretty popular - as is Duke.

Duke has NEVER been known for it's "coolness" so any of you that think that is the case you're truly fooling yourselves. I'm from Durham - trust me I know. Great atmosphere - yes. Cool? Well that just depends...

When we went to party in high school at college campuses - it was UNC's Gray Hall, NCCU, NC A&T, and sometimes even NC State. I even attended many parties at NCSSM with Grant Hill and Rodney Rogers in attendence. Rarely was it Duke. Unless ya know, there was a big bonfire going on or something.

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I wish a few college players would be named to the Olympic team. Wasn't Laetner a dream team member? That would make it even more enticing to play for the best coach on the planet year round.

USA basketball is more than just the SENIOR team. That's why Seth Curry is on the U19 team now...

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Hilarious!!!! Do you guys not remember when Duke played UNLV in the 90s? Our cool factor was about ZERO. Versus Michigan's fab 5? Once again - about ZERO.

CDu
07-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Flawed thinking. Most of them don't remember MJ playing bball either but he's still pretty popular - as is Duke.

Duke has NEVER been known for it's "coolness" so any of you that think that is the case you're truly fooling yourselves. I'm from Durham - trust me I know. Great atmosphere - yes. Cool? Well that just depends...

When we went to party in high school at college campuses - it was UNC's Gray Hall, NCCU, NC A&T, and sometimes even NC State. I even attended many parties at NCSSM with Grant Hill and Rodney Rogers in attendence. Rarely was it Duke. Unless ya know, there was a big bonfire going on or something.

It's not flawed thinking. You're talking about an entirely different thing here.

Yes, young people surely still think of Jordan as a great player. Even those who never saw him play. But kids don't cheer for the Bulls simply because Jordan won championships with the Bulls in a time before they can remember, do they? No, they cheer for the teams/individuals that resonate positively with them in their formative years.

For comparison - I know that Bill Russell was a great basketball player. But I don't cheer for the Celtics just because he won a bunch of titles before I was born. Instead, I'm a Bulls fan, because I watched Jordan in my formative years.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem that can't be overcome. I'm just saying that the image we have of Duke basketball (which can have a different image altogether from Duke University as a whole) is almost certainly not the same as Duke bball's image with 10-18 year old kids. And because of that, Coach K coaching the Olympic team has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a good thing.

mr. synellinden
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Likewise, I strongly disagree. There is a difference between the "coolness" of the institution and the coolness or "hype-ness" or "dope-ness" of a particular sports program. Duke was the IT program of the mid to late 90s, but that is no longer the case. It's how we were able to land classes like Battier-Brand-Burgess-Avery and Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy. There is no question this is directly attributable to the media (mostly ESPN but others as well -- Billy Packer, etc.) and their influence on Duke-hating. You have to wonder how much guys like Patterson, and Wall, and Monroe, and Brandan Wright want to go to a school where there is a good chance they are going to be hated NATIONALLY due to the name on the front of their jersey. If you're a parent, do you want your kid going to a school where they might "become the next Wojo or J.J." and have fans across the country screaming "F*** YOU ____!"

I hope that the very promising 2010 class is demonstrating that the Olympic influence is helping our recruiting and restoring the prestige and desirability of playing for Duke basketball.

By the way, speaking of coolness, who remembers the t-shirts that said DUKE - It even sounds cool? Do they sell those any more?

Greg_Newton
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Likewise, I strongly disagree. There is a difference between the "coolness" of the institution and the coolness or "hype-ness" or "dope-ness" of a particular sports program. Duke was the IT program of the mid to late 90s, but that is no longer the case. It's how we were able to land classes like Battier-Brand-Burgess-Avery and Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy. There is no question this is directly attributable to the media (mostly ESPN but others as well -- Billy Packer, etc.) and their influence on Duke-hating. You have to wonder how much guys like Patterson, and Wall, and Monroe, and Brandan Wright want to go to a school where there is a good chance they are going to be hated NATIONALLY due to the name on the front of their jersey. If you're a parent, do you want your kid going to a school where they might "become the next Wojo or J.J." and have fans across the country screaming "F*** YOU ____!"

I hope that the very promising 2010 class is demonstrating that the Olympic influence is helping our recruiting and restoring the prestige and desirability of playing for Duke basketball.

By the way, speaking of coolness, who remembers the t-shirts that said DUKE - It even sounds cool? Do they sell those any more?

Errrrr not bad points there, but could this go in a different thread? Hopefully Harrison isn't checking up on his thread today!

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
It's not flawed thinking. You're talking about an entirely different thing here.

Yes, young people surely still think of Jordan as a great player. Even those who never saw him play. But kids don't cheer for the Bulls simply because Jordan won championships with the Bulls in a time before they can remember, do they? No, they cheer for the teams/individuals that resonate positively with them in their formative years.

For comparison - I know that Bill Russell was a great basketball player. But I don't cheer for the Celtics just because he won a bunch of titles before I was born. Instead, I'm a Bulls fan, because I watched Jordan in my formative years.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem that can't be overcome. I'm just saying that the image we have of Duke basketball (which can have a different image altogether from Duke University as a whole) is almost certainly not the same as Duke bball's image with 10-18 year old kids. And because of that, Coach K coaching the Olympic team has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a good thing.

Ahhhhh, but you decided to juxtapose two different things. I compared apples to apples, i.e. Duke to Duke and Jordan to Jordan - NOT the Bulls as how they relate to Jordan.

mr. synellinden
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Errrrr not bad points there, but could this go in a different thread? Hopefully Harrison isn't checking up on his thread today!

Good point -- and the mods should feel free to move it anywhere or delete it (not that they need my permission). But let's not be so naive to think that these are concerns and recruit and/or his family might not have thought about before reading these boards.

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM

I hear you but at the same time, high level recruits are used to being cheered against. Nothing unusual there...

phillyheel
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM

I partied constantly at Duke while at NCSSM in the early 80s. There were great parties just about every weekend we went down. Did the party scene die after the BOZOs were disbanded?

m g
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I even attended many parties at NCSSM with Grant Hill and Rodney Rogers in attendence.

Grant Hill went to high school parties while in college? At NCSSM, of all places? I don't believe you.

Wander
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Barnes is going to make 2010 the best Duke team in eight years. Just watch.

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I wonder how HB is feels about being Projected the number one draft pick of 2011

SilkyJ
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I wonder how HB is feels about being Projected the number one draft pick of 2011

since he's an intelligent and down to earth young man, he's probably ignoring it.

Kedsy
07-09-2009, 11:33 PM

He seems like a great kid and I really hope he chooses Duke, but getting your hopes so high is almost never a good thing.

G man
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I really doubt that message boards have that big an impact. Take Kentucky for example some of the things that get said on those boards are way off base and they are still getting stud recruits. I think we need to be careful, but I just don't think we have that much power in the process.

NSDukeFan
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM

I am hoping that another 6'8" versatile forward makes 2010 the best Duke team in eight years by returning for his senior year and looking to repeat as National Champs.:D

moonpie23
07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
HB seems like a smart kid from everything i've read about him. I doubt that something as frivolous as the chat board weighs that heavily in his decision making process.

he seems like a perfect fit for duke, the school AND the basketball team..

SupaDave
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Grant Hill went to high school parties while in college? At NCSSM, of all places? I don't believe you.

Grant Hill also had a Toyota LandCruiser with one 18" speaker in the back. Now WHAT?

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Grant Hill also had a Toyota LandCruiser with one 18" speaker in the back. Now WHAT?

ha ha ha you're a funny guy

roywhite
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/for-barnes-high-marks-on-and-off-court/

Yet another article that talks about the importance of academics for young Mr. Barnes and his mother.

Hadn't seen this before:
"He will have completed nine advanced-placement classes before graduating high school, leaving the possibility that he’ll be a sophomore academically."

SupaDave
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM
ha ha ha you're a funny guy

Nope that's dead serious. All you have to do is ask around...

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM

na I laughed at how you said NOW WHAT to the guy i could just picture it in person

SupaDave
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
na I laughed at how you said NOW WHAT to the guy i could just picture it in person

lol! Now back to Harrison...

I really like the fact that Dawkins is such a people person. He's been interviewed more than once explaining how much he's in Harrison's ear. That's fantastic. It's looking more and more like we could have something like our very own 'fab five' around here soon...

Newton_14
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM

I can vouch for that one. I was in line behind him at one of the stereo equipment stores one day when he was discussing additions to his system in the Land Cruiser..

One of my few "being near a star moments" in life...

SupaDave
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Only time will tell but I've got a suspicous feeling who Slam's new diary is.

Oh and by the way, I'm pretty familiar with Lang Whitaker and have been getting Slam and Dime Mag for free since their inception - I pay occasionally b/c they are dirt cheap and I can't have them going the way of some my other favorite magazines. Both have been mentioning a lot more Duke recruits of late - since some of you are looking for cool factor - there it is...

But check out this nugget...

Funny side note to all this: Before the game starts, LeBron is getting stretched out on the floor a few feet from me. We bullsh*t for a minute—he asks me who I like in camp; I tell him who our next Diary writer is, and he mentions having talked to Coach K the other day about the very same kid—and then he focuses on getting loose for the game.

In this article...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/07/camp-report-lebron-james-skills-academyking-city-classic/

dgoore97
07-11-2009, 04:37 PM
from the article:

Last year, I saw, but didn’t pay much attention to, a rising junior named Harrison Barnes. I’m paying more attention this year, not least because… well, you’ll see soon enough. First impression of arguably the nation’s top senior? He’s long—the sort of long where he almost seems to expand when he plays.

SupaDave
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
from the article:

Last year, I saw, but didn’t pay much attention to, a rising junior named Harrison Barnes. I’m paying more attention this year, not least because… well, you’ll see soon enough. First impression of arguably the nation’s top senior? He’s long—the sort of long where he almost seems to expand when he plays.

Ha ha! I like the sleuth in you!

SupaDave
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah, this one just hit me. I'm bout to go party for the night but I just recalled something that seems to have been overlooked.

HB is very spiritual, as evidenced by his Wednesday prayer classes at his high school.

It just occured to me that Duke is a very spiritual school and I'm surprised that the Trinity folks hadn't zero'd in on that. Sounds like a stupendous fit...

heyman25
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I partied constantly at Duke while at NCSSM in the early 80s. There were great parties just about every weekend we went down. Did the party scene die after the BOZOs were disbanded?

I was with them in the 70's. We were partied to the extreme at Brown House.;)

FreezingDevil
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
We were partied to the extreme at Brown House.;)

Things have changed, I'm afraid. Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house. Lets just say that those Brown kids are a little different these days from their predecessors of years past

tommy
07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house.

That's a shame.

huied
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Things have changed, I'm afraid. Brown is now the substance free, healthy living, Christian well-being house. Lets just say that those Brown kids are a little different these days from their predecessors of years past

I lived in Brown my freshman year, and while it is "substance free", that hasn't really changed the people who live there. The majority of the kids I knew in Brown chose it because they could party elsewhere and come back to a quiet place to sleep.

So...I wouldn't say the Brown kids are any different even with the change to substance free. :)

SupaDave
07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I can vouch for that one. I was in line behind him at one of the stereo equipment stores one day when he was discussing additions to his system in the Land Cruiser..

Grant LOVED the boom!!!

moonpie23
07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
i make da hippity hop go boom... :)

roywhite
07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, this one just hit me. I'm bout to go party for the night but I just recalled something that seems to have been overlooked.

HB is very spiritual, as evidenced by his Wednesday prayer classes at his high school.

It just occured to me that Duke is a very spiritual school and I'm surprised that the Trinity folks hadn't zero'd in on that. Sounds like a stupendous fit...

Cameron Indoor Stadium and Duke Chapel---an unbeatable combination. Both are impressive, and should seem especially so to a young man like Harrison.

SupaDave
07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
On another note, can anyone else think of someone that does such powerful and graceful dunks as Harrison without saying a word? Tim Duncan perhaps? (but then you would have to throw out the graceful part)

I mean, in my mind I can see a few guys but noone stands out other than Battier - who was more or less a 'take or leave it' kinda dunker.

SupaDave
07-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Actually this reminds me of a pretty funny story I have. As far as 'star' moments, I've had tons, but athletes are a bit of a different breed. Not quite as unapproachable as other stars. Not groomed for the cameras but groomed for the fields and the courts.

Ok, so me and some friends are up in Detroit staying with Allan Houston. He's hot at the time and is actually already plotting his escape to New York. Of course we go to a game, and afterwards I get to catch up with Grant too which was pretty cool. Even funnier is that some kids walked up to me b/c I was standing between Juwan Howard and Chris Webber's mom who was at the game for some strange reason, and asked for my autograph - f' it, I gave them my autograph. I figure they thought I was Lindsey Hunter - everyone got a kick out of that of course.

We all decide to go out and geez... Somehow I get stuck with the rookie - Theo Ratliff. Who not only is an unknown to me but was also a total bama. LOL! If you know where Theo went to school well, you understand.

So as everyone pulls off in their hot whips with music blaring, here I am with Theo and another of our friends in his brand new Yukon... with a FACTORY system!!! Lawd. Theo insisted on turning that music up. It was driving me freaking nuts. Speakers popping. Tweeters screaming. I LOVE hip hop but never has it been so unpleasant in my life.

Happily for me - Theo has gotten more into custom systems.

Greg_Newton
07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/07/13/recruiting.camps/
Harrison Barnes, 6-6, 206, Ames, Iowa: Allow me to damn Barnes with faint praise. For someone who is widely recognized one of the top three players in his class, he's a little underwhelming. He's not a freak athlete by any measure, and he certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done. That said, I can see why so many schools (Duke and Kansas are among the leaders) covet him so zealously. He's extremely smooth and efficient, and for a player with his size and athleticism, he is an amazing long-range shooter. Barnes tends to settle for the outside shot a little too much, but when he does decide to attack the rim, he is very effective. He's also a highly skilled interior passer. He has drawn comparisons to Shane Battier, but I'd say he's a little more flashy (and a much better scorer) than Battier was at this stage. In conversation, Barnes comes across as very serious and intelligent. It's quite obvious he will be an asset to any college campus, and not just on the basketball court.

Read what you will into that... "certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done" is a pretty strong statement from Seth Davis, and one that goes against everything else I've heard (including projections of him going #1 in 2011). Kind of strange.

However, I personally would be happier with having a more-skilled-Battier for 2+ years than an undeniable 1-and-done anyway, so my fingers are crossed tighter than ever!

slower
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/07/13/recruiting.camps/

Read what you will into that... "certainly does not strike me as a candidate to be one-and-done" is a pretty strong statement from Seth Davis, and one that goes against everything else I've heard (including projections of him going #1 in 2011). Kind of strange.

However, I personally would be happier with having a more-skilled-Battier for 2+ years than an undeniable 1-and-done anyway, so my fingers are crossed tighter than ever!

Despite his Duke degree, Seth Davis has always struck me as a bonehead.

BlueintheFace
07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9800346/Barnes-a-breath-of-fresh-air-for-college-basketball

If there was ever a recruit MADE FOR DUKE UNIVERSITY...

geraldsneighbor
07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9800346/Barnes-a-breath-of-fresh-air-for-college-basketball

If there was ever a recruit MADE FOR DUKE UNIVERSITY...

Hes the kind of kid you cheer for wherever he goes.

Devilsfan
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Except unc,ky,md,uc,fl and a select few others.

Kedsy
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Hes the kind of kid you cheer for wherever he goes.

I completely agree, and I truly hope people remember this if the unfortunate event occurs and HB chooses a school other than Duke.

(Unless it's UNC, then all bets are off.)

Newton_14
07-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Happily for me - Theo has gotten more into custom systems.

Cool story. Nothing worse than someone blasting with a system that sounds like all the speakers are blown (and usually they are).. but yeah Grant loved his ride and his system..

As for Harrison, the kid is like perfect in all aspects. Scary actually. Surely he has a fault in some area??

As for how long he stays in college, I think that speculation is wasting time. That decision is going to be different for every kid and there is no way to predict it.

A small few will state one and done intentions and follow through with it, but with most it is a process that is dependent on mutiple factors. The kid, his situation, his development, his family needs, etc etc all play into the decision and no two kids are the same.

First objective is get him to Duke. We can worry about how long he stays once we get him..

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm wondering what if HB does a Carmelo Anthony. Win a C-ship and decides to leave because he has done what he came to do. I would be happy but I would also love to see if he can repeat and so on.

SupaDave
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm wondering what if HB does a Carmelo Anthony. Win a C-ship and decides to leave because he has done what he came to do. I would be happy but I would also love to see if he can repeat and so on.

Slow, slow slo slo slow slo slo slow slooooooooowwwww down...

Wildling
07-13-2009, 09:42 PM

lol, I'm sorry, nothing important to add, but that made me laugh :)

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM

lol yea your right just a thought but imagine the potential with HB

Greg_Newton
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
This might be worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW2N0szEl14

It's a presser from when he was at a KU tournament, but you can see where the off-the-court Battier comparisons come from. Sure hard not to like him.

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-14-2009, 09:49 PM

It's a presser from when he was at a KU tournament, but you can see where the off-the-court Battier comparisons come from. Sure hard not to like him.

yea he's a great kid

SupaDave
07-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Oh my, I really love the fact that they ask where he's going unofficially and he never says Duke. Really not trying to tip his hat on KU grounds. Impressive.

Not to mention that he didn't seem to excited about playing in KU's fieldhouse. Good sign...

But hey, look at me, I'm all silly. I think I just wet my pants...

SupaDave
07-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Nike Peach Jam...

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/9405

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/9441

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4326159

FireOgilvie
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Barnes is being listed as 6'8" on Draft Express with a 7'0 1/2" wingspan. I thought he was smaller than this, but those are some pretty ideal measurements for an NBA SF.

MChambers
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM
pretty ideal for a Duke wing. Remember Grant Hill?

moonpie23
07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
too bad no one got a pic of K, Self and Huck all sitting in the same row with a couple of seats between them...

airowe
07-15-2009, 09:07 AM
too bad no one got a pic of K, Self and Huck all sitting in the same row with a couple of seats between them...

Speaking of, with this being the pinnacle of the void of sports on TV I'm surprised the 4-letter network hasn't started to televise some of these July camps. With the seedy underbelly of the AAU circuit looking to make money anyway they can and ESPN having televised numerous high school basketball and football games in season I'm shocked a deal hasn't been reached to showcase all of this young talent. I would have loved to have seen the BK/Austin Rivers vs Harrison Barnes game (even though it was apparently a blowout) or the Jordan Crawford blowby of Danny Green and subsequent dunk on Lebron.

Any of you recruiting gurus out there know of anything in the works? Watzone?

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=964984

this is just an article on HB but what i really wanted to point out was ESPN is going to air an Ames game in mid-december

sivartrenrag
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm really setting myself up for a huge disappointment. If we don't land this kid I'll be crushed. He's the epitome of a Duke basketball player.

I really wish I could stop myself from following Duke recruiting =/

Indoor66
07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm really setting myself up for a huge disappointment. If we don't land this kid I'll be crushed. He's the epitome of a Duke basketball player.

I really wish I could stop myself from following Duke recruiting =/

I don't get excited anymore until I see them in a layup line warming up. :D

SupaDave
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
from the article:

Got my new Slam today! Guess who the diary is!!!!

grossbus
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
"I don't get excited anymore until I see them in a layup line warming up."

hah! i don't get excited until i have seen them play a couple of games with my own eyeballs.

sivartrenrag
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't get excited anymore until I see them in a layup line warming up. :D

Still the chance of a transfer! ;)

Indoor66
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
"I don't get excited anymore until I see them in a layup line warming up."

hah! i don't get excited until i have seen them play a couple of games with my own eyeballs.

That too. Way too much wouldya, couldya, didya, huh? going on in the recruiting talk.

Newton_14
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
That too. Way too much wouldya, couldya, didya, huh? going on in the recruiting talk.

I agree in part because in the last 5 years we have been crushed a lot by kids we really wanted to see come aboard. But at the same time we have still brought in quality kids, there is no denying that..

But isn't it time for our luck to change for the better with the really big fish?? I just keep having that feeling that it will. It started somewhat with Seth falling into our lap and it is just time dang it!

So maybe things go our way and we get Harrison Barnes followed by Brandon Knight or Kyrie Irving... We can't keep missing forever, right??

Our neighbors up the road have had a nice run with most all recruits in like 3 key classes being the real deal or better than advertised.. time for that good karma to move about 8 miles down the road.....

airowe
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
But isn't it time for our luck to change for the better with the really big fish?? I just keep having that feeling that it will. It started somewhat with Seth falling into our lap and it is just time dang it!

How about this for falling into our lap? It's over in the new thread, but found it pertinent to your comments.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9812508/Sources:-Dawkins-cleared-to-play-for-Duke:eek:

Newton_14
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
How about this for falling into our lap? It's over in the new thread, but found it pertinent to your comments.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9812508/Sources:-Dawkins-cleared-to-play-for-Duke:eek:

Thanks! I almost did not read the new thread as the title was not an eye opener and I figured it was more news about "Andre the great recruiter".. Got the shock of the year when I read what it was really about.

I think the mods should change the thread title to alert everyone to what is really going on...

COYS
07-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Our neighbors up the road have had a nice run with most all recruits in like 3 key classes being the real deal or better than advertised.. time for that good karma to move about 8 miles down the road.....

Not to completely get off topic, but with the exception of Hansbrough, I'd say that our neighbor's success is actually the result of the players just being a little bit worse than expected . . . that is to say that if Lawson and Ellington had been just a little bit better, they would have bolted after either their freshman or sophomore years.

But anyway, I do hope Barnes ends up in Duke blue. If not, he definitely sounds like one of those guys you root for no matter where he goes . . . almost wherever he goes, anyway.

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
not that i want this to happen but if Harrison doesn't choose Duke. I would want to see him at Stanford with Johnny D and Condy Rice

Indoor66
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
not that i want this to happen but if Harrison doesn't choose Duke. I would want to see him at Stanford with Johnny D and Condy Rice

Did Rice start coaching? :confused:

FireOgilvie
07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Did Rice start coaching? :confused:

She's the lifting coach... they call her the "Secretary of Weights."

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Noooooo there was an article about Harrison were he states Condy as being his favorite part of recruiting.

G man
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM

I think most of us would agree with that

airowe
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
No news, but if you are hard up on this kid, here's some wallpaper for your desktop:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2009/07/not-a-tough-guy/

:eek:

Bluedevil114
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I saw Harrison play live once. He is so smooth in his movements almost like he is gliding out on the court. He is quick and has nice hops. It comes to easy for him out there and he has a real toughness about him. The one thing you notice the most with all the athletic ability is he has character. There was not much showboating and with a young kid with those talents that can be easy to do. This is the perfect kid for Duke. He is a 2-3 year player that will make an impact immediately!! Harrison will be a Star wherever he ends up but hopefully it is for Duke.

Kedsy
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I saw Harrison play live once. He is so smooth in his movements almost like he is gliding out on the court. He is quick and has nice hops. It comes to easy for him out there and he has a real toughness about him. The one thing you notice the most with all the athletic ability is he has character. There was not much showboating and with a young kid with those talents that can be easy to do. This is the perfect kid for Duke. He is a 2-3 year player that will make an impact immediately!! Harrison will be a Star wherever he ends up but hopefully it is for Duke.

What makes you think he's a "2-3 year player"? I'm not saying he is or he isn't, I'm just curious what's behind your assertion?

superdave
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
What makes you think he's a "2-3 year player"? I'm not saying he is or he isn't, I'm just curious what's behind your assertion?

He is that good. #1 ranked player in the Class of 2010. If all goes according to expectations, he's a lottery pick after sophmore year and top 5 after junior year. At least that's my read of the situation having never seen him play....

roywhite
07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
He is that good. #1 ranked player in the Class of 2010. If all goes according to expectations, he's a lottery pick after sophmore year and top 5 after junior year. At least that's my read of the situation having never seen him play....

I think the question is how do we know (or believe) that he will play college basketball for more than 1 year, which would be pretty normal for someone with his hoops credentials in the modern days...

I tend to think he is a 2-3 year player, based on his statements and emphasis on education. But that's just my opinion and I wonder who really knows for sure at this point.

Of course, the main question regarding Mr. Barnes is "when will he announce for Duke"? :)

Kedsy
07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
I think the question is how do we know (or believe) that he will play college basketball for more than 1 year, which would be pretty normal for someone with his hoops credentials in the modern days...

I tend to think he is a 2-3 year player, based on his statements and emphasis on education. But that's just my opinion and I wonder who really knows for sure at this point.

Of course, the main question regarding Mr. Barnes is "when will he announce for Duke"? :)

From your mouth to HB's ears, Roy. I appreciate you clarifying my comment accurately. HB seems to be a pretty savvy kid, so wherever he goes (and I certainly hope it's Duke but it's by no means a lock) they could have reasonable (but far from sure) expectation of two years. If he stays in school three years, I think it should be considered a major bonus.

roywhite
07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/111253-top-recruit-leaning-to-duke-or-carolina?eref=fromSI

For what's it worth...

G man
07-22-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/111253-top-recruit-leaning-to-duke-or-carolina?eref=fromSI

For what's it worth...

This same site said it was between Duke and Kansas a couple of weeks ago. Plus no source is named. Also I have not heard him talk that much about UNC other than he would take a look at it.

SupaDave
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM

For what's it worth...

At least Duke is in red I guess...

superdave
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Did I read something in the past week that stated that people who left for the NBA after 2 or 1 years of college do not graduate? The exceptions were Webber and Stackhouse I believe.

If so, the Williams/Boozer 3-year plan could work for HB. Of course....who knows.

airowe
07-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Did I read something in the past week that stated that people who left for the NBA after 2 or 1 years of college do not graduate? The exceptions were Webber and Stackhouse I believe.

If so, the Williams/Boozer 3-year plan could work for HB. Of course....who knows.

Happens all the time. Michael Jordan got his degree from PUNC in '86. I'm sure people can find numerous other examples.

rotogod00
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Apologize if this was posted previously

http://theshiver.com/2009/07/barnes-looking-to-narrow-list-after-august/#more-5513

Too bad about this:
"In regards to a rumor that is being spread throughout the Internet that Barnes has already determined that he is Duke bound, Barnes was quick to respond about the rumor.

“That is false,” Barnes said of the rumor."

SupaDave
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Apologize if this was posted previously

http://theshiver.com/2009/07/barnes-looking-to-narrow-list-after-august/#more-5513

Too bad about this:
"In regards to a rumor that is being spread throughout the Internet that Barnes has already determined that he is Duke bound, Barnes was quick to respond about the rumor.

“That is false,” Barnes said of the rumor."

Hmmmm... a Kansas media source reporting on the speed of a returned text about Duke when already there was a text conversation going on. Move along - nothing to see here!

ACCBBallFan
07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
When you look at who plays SF for them this year, Singler, Ginyard/Henson, possibly none of them there next year, I can see why both coach K and ole Roy are recrutiing Barnes hard.

I think Barnes is more than icing on the cake to UNC, as well as close to a "must-get" for Duke whose main competition IMO is I-35 easy drvie from Ames to KC and then short hop to KU.

Ryan Kelly will get stronger but he is perhaps more a PF than a SF without Lance to switch roles at other end, along with the Plumlees being PF/C, and Olek a work in process

Devilsfan
07-22-2009, 06:00 PM
RKelly is an outside threat not a bangger, imo.

RelativeWays
07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
RKelly is an outside threat not a bangger, imo.

I believe he can fly, though

Bluedevil114
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM

Just an opinion..........Based on everything I have read on Harrison Barnes. Education is high on his priority, he is close with his family, no major money issues and he has so much character. Harrison is going to be successful at every level and he will want to be successful at each level before he moves on. His family has prepared him that NBA will be there for him but he must continue to improve. His family wants him to be able to have a life after Basketball and that is why picking the right school will be very important to him and his family.

johaad
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Just an opinion..........Based on everything I have read on Harrison Barnes. Education is high on his priority, he is close with his family, no major money issues and he has so much character. Harrison is going to be successful at every level and he will want to be successful at each level before he moves on. His family has prepared him that NBA will be there for him but he must continue to improve. His family wants him to be able to have a life after Basketball and that is why picking the right school will be very important to him and his family.

This brings up a question that I have about the accelerated graduation program that Jason Williams and Boozer (I think) used. I read recently that Barnes will likely start college as an academic sophomore. If that is the case, would it be possible for him to do the same 3 years that JWill did in 2? If so, I think that would be the most likely scenario. He has stated previously that he wants a school that can "fast track" his graduation. Sounds like a good fit to me.:)

BlueintheFace
07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Si.com Truth and Rumors- Barnes leaning to Duke and UNC

El_Diablo
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe he can fly, though

The Dave Chappelle version: "I'm gonna three on you!"

I read recently that Barnes will likely start college as an academic sophomore.

AFAIK, Trinity will only count 2 AP/IB credits towards graduation, so unless he takes a boatload (6?) of Duke summer classes the summer of 2010, I don't see how that's possible.

SupaDave
07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Si.com Truth and Rumors- Barnes leaning to Duke and UNC

and...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...na?eref=fromSI

Notice anything?

SupaDave
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
It seems fannation has disabled the second link - which had it at Duke and Kansas.

El_Diablo
07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Here's the one from last month:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/106530-nations-top-recruit-leaning-to-jayhawks?eref=fromSI

Both T&R "stories" came from the same writer at the St. Paul Pioneer Press. If you click on the links to the actual articles, you'll find nothing more than the one-liners printed on the T&R page. No sources, no elaboration, just one little comment each time. I'm not sure how connected this writer is, but I don't put much stock into what he is reporting with regards to Barnes.

kkwst2
07-28-2009, 12:15 AM
AFAIK, Trinity will only count 2 AP/IB credits towards graduation, so unless he takes a boatload (6?) of Duke summer classes the summer of 2010, I don't see how that's possible.

Then it's changed significantly since I was there. I came in with 6 semester credits from AP, which is why I never had to take more than 4 classes a semester to graduate in 4.

Edit: Just looked it up. You're right, only 2 can count. I seem to recall than Williams took a fair number of summer courses.

Kedsy
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Then it's changed significantly since I was there. I came in with 6 semester credits from AP, which is why I never had to take more than 4 classes a semester to graduate in 4.

Edit: Just looked it up. You're right, only 2 can count. I seem to recall than Williams took a fair number of summer courses.

Does anybody take more than four classes a semester at Duke in order to graduate within four years? Ever? I'm old, so my memory may be faulty, but I thought that's the way it has always been at Duke. At least since I started 31 years ago.

m g
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Does anybody take more than four classes a semester at Duke in order to graduate within four years? Ever? I'm old, so my memory may be faulty, but I thought that's the way it has always been at Duke. At least since I started 31 years ago.

If you graduate early, you can count more APs. Overloading (5 classes) is very demanding, and a lot of people who don't play sports don't have time for it - I doubt basketball players do this often. However, it sounds like Barnes is the type of student (and person) who could overload if he's careful not to pick too many ridiculous classes that semester.

Even without any of that, 8 summer school classes (4 per summer) would give him the credits he needs to be out in 3 years. It would be very manageable, perhaps even moreso than at the typical school where you need 30 credit hours per year to graduate, but would have trouble taking more than 12 hours in any given summer. There are a lot of reasons why Barnes would have no trouble graduating in 3 years at Duke.

Edit: also, forgot about the summer before his freshman year, when he could take 4 more summer classes. He would make it with a fair amount of breathing room.

ice-9
07-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I went to Duke with 11 AP credits but could only use 2... T____T

jimsumner
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
They didn't even have AP credits when I went to Duke. Seriously.

InSpades
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM

From what I recall I think you had to take 5 classes for 2 semesters or something along those lines (this was circa 1998). If you had the 2 AP credits then you never had to take 5 classes (which is likely the case for a vast majority of Duke students). I may be incorrect on this, but I never took more than 4.

CDu
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
From what I recall I think you had to take 5 classes for 2 semesters or something along those lines (this was circa 1998). If you had the 2 AP credits then you never had to take 5 classes (which is likely the case for a vast majority of Duke students). I may be incorrect on this, but I never took more than 4.

I think that is still correct. According to the website, you definitely still need 34 credits (34 full-time courses) to graduate. The standard semester course load is 4 credits. So to finish in 4 years, you have to do one of the following:

1) have to have two semesters with 5 credits
2) get 2 credits from AP courses
3) take summer school

A lot of folks get the AP credits, so they typically take 4 courses per semester. However, not everyone gets AP credit. So those that don't have to make up the credits elsewhere. I would think that summer school is the most common approach though.

FreezingDevil
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I think that is still correct. According to the website, you definitely still need 34 credits (34 full-time courses) to graduate. The standard semester course load is 4 credits. So to finish in 4 years, you have to do one of the following:

1) have to have two semesters with 5 credits
2) get 2 credits from AP courses
3) take summer school

A lot of folks get the AP credits, so they typically take 4 courses per semester. However, not everyone gets AP credit. So those that don't have to make up the credits elsewhere. I would think that summer school is the most common approach though.

I graduated a semester early from Duke, so I am well versed on this. The 34 credit requirement still stands. Most students use their AP credits to make up the remaining 2 credits. Summer school is also popular. Another option is that students gain earn a half credit for a house course (a weekly student taught class) or a Phys Ed class. Believe it or not, I wouldn't have been able to graduate early without a basketball phys ed class. That was a tough one

Kedsy
07-28-2009, 11:14 AM

It wasn't like that when I went to school (graduated in '82). I took four classes per semester, and because I had two AP credits and two half-credits for gym classes, I only had to take one class my final semester. AP wasn't so popular then, so maybe that's why they only required 32 credits to graduate.

SupaDave
07-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Let's keep it Barnes related please...

sagegrouse
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM

IN the 1960s, students took and passed five classes per semester for eight semesters if they wished to graduate on time and without summer school. Of course, that era also included further indignities like Saturday AM classes. Boy, it was tough in the old days.... I am not even sure we had electricity in the dorms.;)

Apologies to SupaDave. I sure can't kind any way to link this to Harrison Barnes except to say that he would have done well under the old system.

sagegrouse

FreezingDevil
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Here's how this connects to Barnes: Unlike at many schools, especially public ones, Duke will only accept two AP course credits. So while Barnes may be taking 10 APs (not sure how many, but I hear its a lot), they will not accelerate him towards early graduation very much. Whereas I've known kids who basically matriculated at other universities as sophomores because they had so many AP credits.

crimsonandblue
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Advantage Kansas. (http://www.admissions.ku.edu/credit/earned.shtml)

roywhite
07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Here's how this connects to Barnes: Unlike at many schools, especially public ones, Duke will only accept two AP course credits. So while Barnes may be taking 10 APs (not sure how many, but I hear its a lot), they will not accelerate him towards early graduation very much. Whereas I've known kids who basically matriculated at other universities as sophomores because they had so many AP credits.

So does this result in a recruiting advantage for a UF, or Kansas, or UNC (and I don't know their specific policies) because those schools would accept more AP credits, and give HB a quicker path to graduation?

Bluedog
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
So does this result in a recruiting advantage for a UF, or Kansas, or UNC (and I don't know their specific policies) because those schools would accept more AP credits, and give HB a quicker path to graduation?

I guess that's the implication...Not only do they accept more AP credits, but they accept lower scores. KU, for example, gives credit for many 3s, while Duke only accepts 4s and 5s (sometimes only 5s). KU also even allows exemptions for English classes for students who score higher than 600 on the SAT Verbal - Duke obviously doesn't do that as 600 is well below the 50% range of its accepted students (680-770), so nobody would take intro english. Now, do I personally think that HB is going to choose a school based on AP/SAT credits? No.

houstondukie
07-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Call me optimistic, but I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before Barnes commits to Duke. The rest of this stuff is just details getting in the way of the big picture.

Kedsy
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Call me optimistic, but I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before Barnes commits to Duke. The rest of this stuff is just details getting in the way of the big picture.

Well, I hope you're right, but I haven't really seen any credible evidence of him leaning one way or the other (or the other or the other or...).

COYS
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM

I don't know that this constitutes an advantage for Kansas on this issue. He can graduate early from Duke easily enough. If he really values education as much as it seems, I think he would factor the quality of education as much as the ease of getting a degree. This doesn't mean that Kansas is in bad shape, of course, but I don't think it really constitutes any big advantage for Kansas.

crimsonandblue
07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't know that this constitutes an advantage for Kansas on this issue. He can graduate early from Duke easily enough. If he really values education as much as it seems, I think he would factor the quality of education as much as the ease of getting a degree. This doesn't mean that Kansas is in bad shape, of course, but I don't think it really constitutes any big advantage for Kansas.

No kidding. You guys are the goofballs fretting about this stuff.

Devilsfan
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Agreed. It comes down to if we are convincing enough to sell the attributes of Duke University, one of the finest academic institutions with the best head coach on the planet over some state school. Sounds easy for me to say.

cato
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Agreed. It comes down to if we are convincing enough to sell the attributes of Duke University, one of the finest academic institutions with the best head coach on the planet over some state school. Sounds easy for me to say.

I'm pretty sure that was not C&B's point.

CDu
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
I graduated a semester early from Duke, so I am well versed on this. The 34 credit requirement still stands. Most students use their AP credits to make up the remaining 2 credits. Summer school is also popular. Another option is that students gain earn a half credit for a house course (a weekly student taught class) or a Phys Ed class. Believe it or not, I wouldn't have been able to graduate early without a basketball phys ed class. That was a tough one

Yeah, I was one of those unfortunate souls that only received one credit as an incoming student. So I went the summer school route to pick up the extra credit. I never took five classes in a semester, and can't imagine adding a fifth.

roywhite
07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, I hope you're right, but I haven't really seen any credible evidence of him leaning one way or the other (or the other or the other or...).

Credible evidence, no, but I'm encouraged by discussion from some long-time posters on TDD. The story is that Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving are trying to co-ordinate their visits to Duke to be on campus at the same time, and the visits may happen relatively soon. There is an issue about whether they can take an official visit at the same time. Official visits can't occur until the start of the prospect's school year; Ames, Iowa High School starts on August 20, but St. Patricks for Irving doesn't start Sept. 3 or thereabouts.

I like this development. Sorry, it's not solid or published, but then again it's not a discussion of advanced placement credits. :)

houstondukie
07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I was one of those unfortunate souls that only received one credit as an incoming student. So I went the summer school route to pick up the extra credit. I never took five classes in a semester, and can't imagine adding a fifth.

No offense (this is directed at everyone), but can we please stick to the topic.

Kedsy
07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Credible evidence, no, but I'm encouraged by discussion from some long-time posters on TDD. The story is that Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving are trying to co-ordinate their visits to Duke to be on campus at the same time, and the visits may happen relatively soon. There is an issue about whether they can take an official visit at the same time. Official visits can't occur until the start of the prospect's school year; Ames, Iowa High School starts on August 20, but St. Patricks for Irving doesn't start Sept. 3 or thereabouts.

I like this development. Sorry, it's not solid or published, but then again it's not a discussion of advanced placement credits. :)

Well, yes, that is encouraging. Both of them are supposedly friendly with Andre Dawkins, as well, and I've read stories about the three of them talking about being teammates. Which would be really, really cool.

But when people start talking about how convinced they are that any big recruit is committing our way (and I know this isn't you, Roy, but it has been several others in this thread) it makes me wince, because if the recruit decides to go another way, it's often these same people who spout ill will and scream and moan about all our recruiting "misses."

If people would understand that most "leans" are still probably less than 50/50 in our favor (until they actually make their decision, of course), then I think they would feel less betrayed and angry when these teenagers make decisions with which the posters don't agree.

Duke of Nashville
07-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Looking forward to who else may end up joining this team. Harrison is headlining.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail

Vincetaylor
07-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Can we please stop talking about potential recruits? It´s a total waste of time and just gets everyone´s hopes up for no reason. Let´s just talk about the guys we have. The John Wall saga should have been the last straw for such threads.

roywhite
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Can we please stop talking about potential recruits? It´s a total waste of time and just gets everyone´s hopes up for no reason. Let´s just talk about the guys we have. The John Wall saga should have been the last straw for such threads.

Well, the title of this thread is "Harrison Barnes recruiting thread". I think that gives people a pretty clear idea whether it's a topic of interest to them personally.

Feel free to talk about existing players; there are threads for that also.

chrisheery
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM

There is an easy answer for this. Don't click on threads that are about recruits. That will allow us to do what we want and you to not have to read it.

Darn, looks like roywhite beat me to the punch.

Welcome2DaSlopes
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I understand what both of you(roywhite &vincetaylor) are saying but to vince it is the summer and recruit talk is probably the biggest thing going on right now in NCAAB. We can talk about existing players but it is not as exciting.

Azdukefan
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM

I agree! We will never get the kind of recruits who love Duke so much they are willing to put in time to get there early and help the team. While we stop talking about them, lets just go ahead and stop recruiting them. Sorry couldn't contain myself! :eek:

*Good times are still ahead!

SupaDave
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Easy guys. And since we talk about everything else under the sun - recruits are more than fair game...

G man
07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/07/31/921312

DeepBlue70
07-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice article, thanks for posting Gman. This kid has so many similarities to Battier, what is the protocal of having someone like Shane having a sit down to talk about what Duke can do to develop the whole person? Is it allowed? Can't help but think that those two would really connect.

4Gen
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/07/31/921312

I have been really excited about the prospect of having Harrison as a Blue Devil. However, having read the article, and noting that he will be a program changer, I guess we'll have to pass. :D

chrisheery
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting Gman. This kid has so many similarities to Battier, what is the protocal of having someone like Shane having a sit down to talk about what Duke can do to develop the whole person? Is it allowed? Can't help but think that those two would really connect.

Pretty sure it is not allowed. I think UNC got a minor recruiting violation recently for a similar instance, though it was apparently incidental when a recruit happened to be playing in a game with Raymond Felton.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/09/unc-investigates-possible-recruiting.html

This is the story, couldn't find a better source on short notice.

SupaDave
07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Pretty sure it is not allowed. I think UNC got a minor recruiting violation recently for a similar instance, though it was apparently incidental when a recruit happened to be playing in a game with Raymond Felton.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/09/unc-investigates-possible-recruiting.html

This is the story, couldn't find a better source on short notice.

Coincidentally, Shumpert ended up at Georgia Tech...

FireOgilvie
08-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Apparently Harrison Barnes is playing at some kind of Nike Global Challenge in Oregon along with Kyrie Irving and Ray McCallum and a ton of other players (including a few UNC guys). I don't know much about it, but here is a link:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-6857538544301565673/the-nike-global-challenge-game-times-rosters-and-more/

It looks like it starts on Friday.

roywhite
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Apparently Harrison Barnes is playing at some kind of Nike Global Challenge in Oregon along with Kyrie Irving and Ray McCallum and a ton of other players (including a few UNC guys). I don't know much about it, but here is a link:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-6857538544301565673/the-nike-global-challenge-game-times-rosters-and-more/

It looks like it starts on Friday.

Harrison tore it up in an overtime victory over Serbia.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc09_teams/scores/game06.htm

46 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 steals. :D

airowe
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Damn right. I know it was OT, but 46 points..

FireOgilvie
08-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Wow! That's amazing. He shot a ridiculous 6-13 from 3 pt range.

Blueequalslife23
08-09-2009, 02:49 AM
That possibly our chance to become a "dynasty" again rests on the commitment of Harrison Barnes? We really don't have too many scoring threats or immediate impacts coming in so far. Anyone?

CMARTZ
08-09-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm willing to bet a lot of people will come through this thread and say you're wrong, that Harrison Barnes isn't crucial to the immediate future of Duke basketball, but I have to say I feel the same way. Our team has a ton of potential for growth over the next few years (Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, not to mention the already established Singler, who may or may not be around for Barnes' hypothetical arrival), but this potential might not be realized if we don't score Barnes and a point guard of similar caliber. We need him to bridge the gap between transition teams to championship teams.

Blueequalslife23
08-09-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm willing to bet a lot of people will come through this thread and say you're wrong, that Harrison Barnes isn't crucial to the immediate future of Duke basketball, but I have to say I feel the same way. Our team has a ton of potential for growth over the next few years (Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, not to mention the already established Singler, who may or may not be around for Barnes' hypothetical arrival), but this potential might not be realized if we don't score Barnes and a point guard of similar caliber. We need him to bridge the gap between transition teams to championship teams.

Wow.. that was very well put. But to back my own point up. Do we honestly think..Curry, Dawkins, Plumlee 1+2, Kelly, Hairston and thornton are a down the road championship team? (And BTW that list of players isn't including any players that have not verbaled to Duke.)

Devilsfan
08-09-2009, 05:32 AM
A definite maybe if Harrison and a top point guard is added and one of the Plumlees improves drastically. Couple that with the scoring of Dawkins and Curry and of course the teaching of Coach K. I think we could (should) hang another banner.

ACCBBallFan
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Wow.. that was very well put. But to back my own point up. Do we honestly think..Curry, Dawkins, Plumlee 1+2, Kelly, Hairston and thornton are a down the road championship team? (And BTW that list of players isn't including any players that have not verbaled to Duke.)You can also include Nolan Smith and possibly Kyle Singler.

Who knows, by his junior year the investment in the project Olek Czyz currenty a work in process may pay some dividends.

Scheyer will of course be missed and the two journeymen bigs Lance and Z will by then be replaced by the Plumlees, Kelly and Hairston.

So yes if say Irving replaces Jon; and Barnes replaces Henderson/Williams;, all the pieces should be there.

In that scenario, I think Kyle might just stick around to seal his legacy. Some of that depends on how close Duke comes this year, whether close enough to think these two and Curry would make the difference without Jon.

Otherwise it is just these two replacing Jon and Kyle and everybody else having another year of experience.

Lord Ash
08-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow.. that was very well put. But to back my own point up. Do we honestly think..Curry, Dawkins, Plumlee 1+2, Kelly, Hairston and thornton are a down the road championship team? (And BTW that list of players isn't including any players that have not verbaled to Duke.)

Curry, Dawkins, the Plumlees, and Ryan Kelly all have the potential to contribute a LOT, and with them all relatively unknowns other than Curry being the leading scorer in the nation as a freshman (not too shabby) they may indeed prove to be the core of a title winning team.

roywhite
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-5150550809212184373/the-nike-global-challenge-day-two-recap/

There's extensive coverage of the Nike games from this oregonlive Website.

Scroll down for a video with Harrison Barnes highlights and an interview.

MChambers
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
He really would look good in Duke blue. Loved that block down low. The offense wasn't bad, either.

Blueequalslife23
08-10-2009, 05:46 AM
You can also include Nolan Smith and possibly Kyle Singler.

Who knows, by his junior year the investment in the project Olek Czyz currenty a work in process may pay some dividends.

Scheyer will of course be missed and the two journeymen bigs Lance and Z will by then be replaced by the Plumlees, Kelly and Hairston.

So yes if say Irving replaces Jon; and Barnes replaces Henderson/Williams;, all the pieces should be there.

In that scenario, I think Kyle might just stick around to seal his legacy. Some of that depends on how close Duke comes this year, whether close enough to think these two and Curry would make the difference without Jon.

Otherwise it is just these two replacing Jon and Kyle and everybody else having another year of experience.

Your putting in too many IF's. Kyrie Irving is not even close to a lock. I can't comfortably pencil him in , And as for Harrison... as each day goes by i see our chances go with it...

roywhite
08-10-2009, 07:43 AM
http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc09_teams/scores/game10.htm

Harrison Barnes finished the Nike Global Challenge competition with 28 points in his third game. Also playing in that game were UNC commit Kendall Marshall, and Duke prospects Terrence Jones, Austin Rivers, Ray McCallum, and Quincy Miller.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc09_teams/scores/game12.htm

Kyrie Irving also had an outstanding tournament, finishing with 26 points as his team won the championship.

Bob Green
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
And as for Harrison... as each day goes by i see our chances go with it...

Why? Do you have any data points to support your opinion? Harrison Barnes has consistently stated he intends to take his time and visit lots of schools. In this article (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-09/top-prospect-harrison-barnes-not-rushing-decision), Harrison Barnes states:

"To me, if I were to commit now without seeing all the schools, there's a possibility you may want to renege on that commitment. So I'm just taking my time and trying to thoroughly evaluate the schools."

And in this interview (http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/05/harrison-barnes-is-the-best-high-school-player-in-america/) he says:

HSH: Are you looking to narrow your list down again soon?
HB: Well, I just cut it from 22 to 12, so I’m gonna take some time and really look at all of these schools.

I've read nothing that dampens my optimism in regard to Harrison Barnes. That doesn't mean I believe he is a Duke lock or even a Duke lean, it just means I'm taking Harrison Barnes at his word when he says there are 12 teams on his list and he intends to take his time making a decision.

ACCBBallFan
08-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Your putting in too many IF's. Kyrie Irving is not even close to a lock. I can't comfortably pencil him in , And as for Harrison... as each day goes by i see our chances go with it...

I was merely responding to this poster that they could also include Nolan - did not realize possibility of Singler had already been mentioned.

Olek is not an If, but would be a plus if he developed some court awareness to go with his athleticism next year.

With Barnes and Irving, then a big step forward. Without them, about the same as ths year and past few years, close but not quite there.

SilkyJ
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc09_teams/scores/game10.htm

Harrison Barnes finished the Nike Global Challenge competition with 28 points in his third game. Also playing in that game were UNC commit Kendall Marshall, and Duke prospects Terrence Jones, Austin Rivers, Ray McCallum, and Quincy Miller.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/ngc/ngc09_teams/scores/game12.htm

Kyrie Irving also had an outstanding tournament, finishing with 26 points as his team won the championship.

Why do folks continue to list Austin Rivers as a "Duke prospect" or "Duke target"? I thought he verbaled to UF, and when rumors swirled that he might be reconsidering he quickly and adamantly shot them down. Beyond the fact that its an early verbal, is there any reason to think he's still taking recruiting calls or is a prospect for Duke?

roywhite
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Why do folks continue to list Austin Rivers as a "Duke prospect" or "Duke target"? I thought he verbaled to UF, and when rumors swirled that he might be reconsidering he quickly and adamantly shot them down. Beyond the fact that its an early verbal, is there any reason to think he's still taking recruiting calls or is a prospect for Duke?

Don't have any inside info, but I read on recruiting-related sites that Austin Rivers' oral commitment is not firm, and that he may take other visits, including possibly Duke.

If this is somehow against policy or disturbing to you, I won't mention him again as a Duke prospect or Duke target unless there is hard evidence.

airowe
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16619&highlight=austin+rivers

He did shoot them down, but then it came out that he is still going to look at schools. Rivers is still young and Billy the Kid hasn't shown a propensity for keeping his recruits around lately so who knows...

It's probably a lot of wishful thinking here though.

SilkyJ
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Don't have any inside info, but I read on recruiting-related sites that Austin Rivers' oral commitment is not firm, and that he may take other visits, including possibly Duke.

If this is somehow against policy or disturbing to you, I won't mention him again as a Duke prospect or Duke target unless there is hard evidence.

No no, based on your response and the below, you clearly know more than I do. I was just asking b/c I thought that this was a settled issue, i.e. he is a firm commit to UF. It would appear that he is semi-firm at best.

How about this for a follow-up: do we know whether our staff is still courting him?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16619&highlight=austin+rivers

He did shoot them down, but then it came out that he is still going to look at schools. Rivers is still young and Billy the Kid hasn't shown a propensity for keeping his recruits around lately so who knows...

It's probably a lot of wishful thinking here though.

roywhite
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
No no, based on your response and the below, you clearly know more than I do. I was just asking b/c I thought that this was a settled issue, i.e. he is a firm commit to UF. It would appear that he is semi-firm at best.

How about this for a follow-up: do we know whether our staff is still courting him?

I think the answer to that is that the staff has not written him off, and hopes to have further contact or a visit. But, that's just my reading of internet-type discussion and not based on anything solid.

Mark Watson and some other insiders are certainly better qualified to give you a straight answer on that.

Since we're discussing non-confirmed but possibly encouraging news, I suggest you check out the TDD site in the free section, and pertaining to a young man who is the subject of this thread. :) John TDD has a few comments on page 96 of a certain current thread that are positive when viewed through blue (royal blue) colored glasses.

Just sayin'.

airowe
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/13/indiana-st-johns-offer-angel-nunez-iu-duke-leading-for-kyrie-irving-quincy-miller-has-options/

DUKE, INDY LEADING FOR KYRIE

As for the 6-1 Irving, the St. Patrick guard who was named MVP at the recent Nike Global Challenge, a source said it could come down to Indiana and Duke.

Irving has said he will visit both schools officially and Indiana hopes to get him to commit on the spot.

Harrison Barnes, one of the top players in the Class of 2010, is working to get Irving to join him at Duke.

Duke is also recruiting Brandon Knight as well as Irving, but IU has made Irving its priority from the beginning, the source said.

Indiana coaches tell Irving that he can be the man at that school and the “face of what Indiana basketball is bringing back.”

Harrison Barnes, one of the top players in the Class of 2010, is working to get Irving to join him at Duke.

Was this a slip or just a hunch????

Duke of Nashville
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Kryrie and Harrison have both stated that they would like to take their visits together to Duke.

airowe
08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Kryrie and Harrison have both stated that they would like to take their visits together to Duke.

Based on info I've read on TDD, that's not going to happen due to scheduling conflicts. Evidently (and please delete this if it's rumor-mongering mods) but Irving is supposed to visit in September and Barnes is supposed to visit in October. I take this article to mean a lot more than that.

airowe
08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2009/08/13/tyler_to_israel_barnes_to_cut_list_at_end_of_month

I spoke to both Harrison and Shirley Barnes yesterday and both said the goal is to cut down his list to five at the end of the month. "That's when I'm going to try and narrow it down," Harrison said. Barnes will head to Chris Paul's camp this weekend and then go to New York for the first time when he plays in the Boost Mobile streetball game at Rucker Park. Barnes won't take the common approach in the fall, though, and intends to visit schools around basketball events and not necessarily football games. ...

airowe
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Duke, PUNC, KU, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and UCLA. He will visit PUNC over Labor Day, according to Dustin Rumbaugh's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/DustinRumbaugh

jesus_hurley
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Duke, PUNC, KU, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and UCLA. He will visit PUNC over Labor Day, according to Dustin Rumbaugh's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/DustinRumbaugh

didn't barnes say he wanted to do his visits during basketball events?

airowe
08-23-2009, 05:06 PM
didn't barnes say he wanted to do his visits during basketball events?

This (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081409aaa.html) is a basketball event. A pretty big one if you like that shade of blue..

jesus_hurley
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Forgot about that game (more like blocked it out). Thanks for the update!

BlueintheFace
08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
UNC alumni game... pretty formidable

El_Diablo
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
UNC alumni game... pretty formidable

Hopefully he will also find time to swing by for an unofficial visit with the good guys before heading home.

JaMarcus Russell
08-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, it's good to see that we made the final cuts for Barnes and Irving. It's a little disappointing that we didn't make Knight's final list, but it shouldn't be all that surprising I suppose.

Hopefully we will be able to pick up Barnes and Irving in the early signing period.

airowe
08-23-2009, 07:40 PM
With all the chatter of Harrison and Kyrie wanting to play together, is anyone else encouraged that Duke is the only team on both of their lists?

houstondukie
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Hopefully he will also find time to swing by for an unofficial visit with the good guys before heading home.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you think Barnes would do that? Would that be disrespectful/unfair to the other teams on his list?

airowe
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Do you think Barnes would do that? Would that be disrespectful/unfair to the other teams on his list?

It won't go down on an OV. Not on another team's dime. Now, on an UV that can, will, does, and has happened. Barnes came by Duke on his last UV to PUNC.

BlueintheFace
08-23-2009, 08:37 PM
With all the chatter of Harrison and Kyrie wanting to play together, is anyone else encouraged that Duke is the only team on both of their lists?

Has there been chatter about that? I haven't seen anything on it from either news outlets or recruiting services.

houstondukie
08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Just read the latest article on scout.com

Cyclone Sports Report: So you will not be signing with a school until the spring?
Harrison Barnes: "Yeah, that is correct."

JaMarcus Russell
08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't think too much about that comment. I can think of ten examples off the top of my head of Rivals 250 football players saying they are going to take all 5 visits and decide on NSD where they are going to attend college.

Three weeks later, they commit to a traditional program like Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, or Alabama.

Even the most well-intentioned and serious recruits contradict themselves multiple times.

airowe
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Just read the latest article on scout.com

Cyclone Sports Report: So you will not be signing with a school until the spring?
Harrison Barnes: "Yeah, that is correct."

Signing should be the bold word there. He can still verbal whenever he wants.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Barnes trimed his list to five. I feel confident about getting him only worry is Kansas although Iowa State could be a sleeper. It's in his hometown and his mom works there. You never know

Bsim412
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Harrison said academics determine his college choice. Kansas and Iowa State academics are no where near the caliber of Duke. Also Harrison will visit Duke on October 16 or 23 according to ESPN and Carolina on September 3rd for his officials.

BD80
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Harrison said academics determine his college choice. Kansas and Iowa State academics are no where near the caliber of Duke. ...

Somewhat ironic that our toughest competition in this regard is Stanford and Harvard, each coached by former Duke players and coaches.

ChicagoCrazy84
08-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Barnes trimed his list to five. I feel confident about getting him only worry is Kansas although Iowa State could be a sleeper. It's in his hometown and his mom works there. You never know

Iowa St. just snagged a couple of recruits for 2010 and 2011 respectively too. Melvin Ejim and Elgin Cook just committed to Iowa St. and both play the 3 spot. Obviously they would keep a spot open for Barnes if they wanted, but I am guessing they were looking elsewhere knowing they were a darkhorse in this race. It seems like they won't actively pursue him now and will let the big dogs fight it out knowing they have some good players committed.

NSDukeFan
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Iowa St. just snagged a couple of recruits for 2010 and 2011 respectively too. Melvin Ejim and Elgin Cook just committed to Iowa St. and both play the 3 spot. Obviously they would keep a spot open for Barnes if they wanted, but I am guessing they were looking elsewhere knowing they were a darkhorse in this race. It seems like they won't actively pursue him now and will let the big dogs fight it out knowing they have some good players committed.

I have a hard time believing Iowa State is going to give up on a talent like Barnes, because they have a few others committed.

roywhite
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I have a hard time believing Iowa State is going to give up on a talent like Barnes, because they have a few others committed.

Harrison's mother works for Iowa State, and Harrison's father Paul Harris was a star player at Iowa State (perhaps leading to the choice of young Mr. Barnes' first name). I suspect that Iowa State is included as a courtesy for those reasons, home town school, etc.

But Harrison has been so thorough and organized in the selection process that any school on this final list is a good choice. Just hope that he sees Duke to be the best choice among them.

airowe
08-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Harrison's mother works for Iowa State, and Harrison's father Paul Harris was a star player at Iowa State (perhaps leading to the choice of young Mr. Barnes' first name). I suspect that Iowa State is included as a courtesy for those reasons, home town school, etc.

But Harrison has been so thorough and organized in the selection process that any school on this final list is a good choice. Just hope that he sees Duke to be the best choice among them.

Agreed. Harrison Barnes is not going to Iowa State just like Kyrie irving is not going to Texas A&M. The inclusion of those two schools on their respective lists is as a courtesy to their parents and the main thing that should be drawn from this is that they are family-oriented, selfless, and loyal. All traits that we find in a lot of athletes here already.

airowe
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
...he's visiting us October 23rd.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/wire/chi-ap-bkh-harrisonbarnes-c,0,1296259.story

She says Barnes will make an official visit to North Carolina on the first weekend of September and to Duke the weekend of Oct. 23.

Faison1
08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Just for fun, has anyone thought that maybe Harrison is stringing along his recruitment so UNC's other prospects go elsewhere?

Would be nice to have it happen to them every once in a while.....

:cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
WHAT????? Please explain^

airowe
08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
WHAT????? Please explain^

Both Duke and PUNC have Hariison Barnes at the top of their recruiting lists. They also have other targets at his position but they won't recruit over HB so as not to scare him off to the other school, or say, KU.

The sentiment felt by Faison and a lot of other followers of Duke recruiting is that HB has already made up his mind to go to Duke but wants to string out his recruiting until Terrance Jones and/or CJ Leslie don't want to wait for HB to make a decision and go elsewhere, leaving Ol' Roy with neither of the three.

I'm sure people wearing that watered down shade of blue feel the same way as do Kansas fans.

If you go back in HB's recruitment, he's always stated that he will take all 5 of his allowed Official Visits, take his in-home visits, and then carefully weigh all the pros and cons. Since he can't take any of his OVs until his Senior year of High School, and some other prospects have verballed earlier than their Senior year, some feel he's dragging out his recruitment.

I think he's just doing his due process, although it would be cool if that's what was really going on ;)

Kedsy
08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
The sentiment felt by Faison and a lot of other followers of Duke recruiting is that HB has already made up his mind to go to Duke but wants to string out his recruiting until Terrance Jones and/or CJ Leslie don't want to wait for HB to make a decision and go elsewhere, leaving Ol' Roy with neither of the three.

Yes, it would be fun (and funny) if this were true, but anybody who thinks HB has already made up his mind is deluding themselves.

I know you weren't speaking for yourself, airowe, but this sort of mindset often leads to disappointment and bitterness, and nobody needs that, do they?

airowe
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes, it would be fun (and funny) if this were true, but anybody who thinks HB has already made up his mind is deluding themselves.

I know you weren't speaking for yourself, airowe, but this sort of mindset often leads to disappointment and bitterness, and nobody needs that, do they?

I agree that as fans we should all have a much more rational expectation of achievement than we probably do. At the same time, I hope the team sets realistic yet very high goals.

But yeah, I agree. Some people just go overboard with their fanaticism. Like this guy:

http://blog.aarp.org/shaarpsession/snack%20food%20stadium.jpg

jimsumner
08-26-2009, 02:13 PM
"Yes, it would be fun (and funny) if this were true, but anybody who thinks HB has already made up his mind is deluding themselves"

Likely true. By the same token anyone who thinks he hasn't defined a pecking order is equally delusional. There's not a five-way tie here.

Kedsy
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
"Yes, it would be fun (and funny) if this were true, but anybody who thinks HB has already made up his mind is deluding themselves"

Likely true. By the same token anyone who thinks he hasn't defined a pecking order is equally delusional. There's not a five-way tie here.

Never said there was, but it seems at least three of those schools have a better-than-outside chance of landing him. My point is people get things in their own heads and then when a Monroe or Patterson happens they get all snarky, when realistically even the leader for a guy like HB is probably no better than 50/50.

SupaDave
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree that as fans we should all have a much more rational expectation of achievement than we probably do. At the same time, I hope the team sets realistic yet very high goals.

But yeah, I agree. Some people just go overboard with their fanaticism. Like this guy:

http://blog.aarp.org/shaarpsession/snack%20food%20stadium.jpg

I had a heart attack just looking at that...

Greg_Newton
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/08/harrison-barnes-officially-cuts-his-list-to-six-schools/

Just a few more details on Harrison's OV on Oct 23-34. Looks like he'll be taking in the Pfiefer (sp?) game while he's here. Hopefully he will be barraged with a variety of chants...

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Yea Kendall Marshall is trying to pull a Andre Dawkins and recruit Barnes as well.

El_Diablo
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/08/harrison-barnes-officially-cuts-his-list-to-six-schools/

Just a few more details on Harrison's OV on Oct 23-34. Looks like he'll be taking in the Pfiefer (sp?) game while he's here. Hopefully he will be barraged with a variety of chants...

“I know that he likes Duke,” said Marshall. “But I’m working on him. I think we’ve got a good shot too.”

hmmm....

Bud
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I believe in the end Barnes will be at Duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I believe in the end Barnes will be at Duke.

We can only hope

SupaDave
09-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Yea Kendall Marshall is trying to pull a Andre Dawkins and recruit Barnes as well.

Let's not forget that one of Tyler Thornton's claims to fame is the fact that he shuts down Kendall Marshall on a regular. Advantage - Duke...

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Let's not forget that one of Tyler Thornton's claims to fame is the fact that he shuts down Kendall Marshall on a regular. Advantage - Duke...

O really I never heard about that, but it sounds great.

roywhite
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
O really I never heard about that, but it sounds great.

http://www.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/415551

Tyler has played well vs Marshall head to head.

tommy
09-02-2009, 01:31 AM

This may have been mentioned elsewhere already and if so I apologize, but is anyone else bothered by the contrast in the star power and attractiveness of the events when Barnes will be visiting UNC vs. when he'll be visiting Cameron?

While at UNC, he'll be treated to the alumni game, where, although it's an exhibition, he'll undoubtedly have a front row seat for a fun game involving a LOT of big-time UNC stars from the present and recent past, many of whom were or are recognizable and memorable NBA players. Those guys have gotten a lot of TV exposure over the years, they are high visibility and they have cache. Who knows if maybe even MJ plays a little.

We, on the other hand, present . . . Pfeiffer. Essentially a scrimmage with . . . Pfeiffer. Which one sounds more fun? Which one seems more likely to impress an 18 yr old looking to be part of something huge that will lead to even bigger successes in the future?

I don't care if they had the idea first. Why can't we do an alumni game and invite key recruits to it? I think it would be pretty impressive to have a front row seat for an entertaining game involving J-Will, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, Luol Deng, Gerald Henderson, Mike Dunleavy, Shelden Williams, JJ Redick, and others.

I think we all agree that Barnes is an extremely important recruit to the program at this juncture. We get one official visit and it's going to be . . . Pfeiffer?? I think it would be pretty impressive for the young man to watch our alumni game, and then have Grant Hill, a smart, education-oriented, 6'8", African-American small forward with a wide-ranging skill set, who fit in perfectly at Duke and won 2 national championships and almost a third, and who went on to become an NBA All-Star, take him under his wing. Think the two could relate to each other? Think Grant could help Harrison see himself at Duke? I'm just saying, that kind of scenario has a much bigger upside, at least to an outsider like I am, than does . . . Pfeiffer.

Greg_Newton
09-02-2009, 03:36 AM
I see your point, but I'm not so sure UNC's "spectacle" will be all that more dramatic than Duke's. At this point, Harrison certainly knows who the UNC alumni are, and it may certainly impress him to get to talk to some of the more famous ones, but most of UNC's best alumni are past their prime at this point and never played for Roy. I don't think he'll be too shell-shocked by the level of play... Stackhouse vs. MJ ain't what it used to be. (side question, are alumni allowed to talk to recruits on OVs? I assume so, but hadn't really thought about it until now)

Anyway, while Pfiefer might not be much of a game, I'm sure the atmosphere will still be hopping. Probably more so than for UNC's alumni game, really. A game in Cameron is a game in Cameron. What's more, you can bet the crazies will be well aware of the situation and prepared for his visit. Heck, if they found time to chant his name last winter during the Carolina game, you think they'll pay a little attention to him this fall while we're blowing out Pfiefer?

What I'd really like to see is a Duke-UNC alumni game. Not to get off topic, but I think we could probably take them. Boozer-Brand-Battier-Maggette-Duhon with Dunleavy and Deng off the bench is quite a squad right now. If J-Will makes a full comeback, it's no contest.:D

shoutingncu
09-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Couple quick things:

The alumni game is part of the 100 Year celebration, so it's not a matter of having the idea first.

As for comparing the weekends, Carolina also has a football game, albeit against Pfeiffer, I mean, The Citadel, so there's also that.

And the basketball exhibition is sold out, in the off season. I know Cameron is special, but students don't always fill those corner sections... is my understanding. It's probably going to be pretty intense in the Dome, if only for one night.

And finally:

What I'd really like to see is a Duke-UNC alumni game. Not to get off topic, but I think we could probably take them. Boozer-Brand-Battier-Maggette-Duhon with Dunleavy and Deng off the bench is quite a squad right now. If J-Will makes a full comeback, it's no contest.:D

This would be AWESOME. Make it happen.

Of course, the rosters for Duke (ten years after a championship run followed closely by a championship season) are slightly more stacked than Carolina's players from the same half decade. No one wants to see Brand, Battier and Dunleavy go against Lang, Capel and Newby. But Carolina's pros the ten years prior and, dare I say, the ten years after... well, they're pretty good, too.

El_Diablo
09-02-2009, 07:52 AM
This may have been mentioned elsewhere already and if so I apologize, but is anyone else bothered by the contrast in the star power and attractiveness of the events when Barnes will be visiting UNC vs. when he'll be visiting Cameron?

While at UNC, he'll be treated to the alumni game, where, although it's an exhibition, he'll undoubtedly have a front row seat for a fun game involving a LOT of big-time UNC stars from the present and recent past, many of whom were or are recognizable and memorable NBA players. Those guys have gotten a lot of TV exposure over the years, they are high visibility and they have cache. Who knows if maybe even MJ plays a little.

We, on the other hand, present . . . Pfeiffer. Essentially a scrimmage with . . . Pfeiffer. Which one sounds more fun? Which one seems more likely to impress an 18 yr old looking to be part of something huge that will lead to even bigger successes in the future?

I don't care if they had the idea first. Why can't we do an alumni game and invite key recruits to it? I think it would be pretty impressive to have a front row seat for an entertaining game involving J-Will, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, Luol Deng, Gerald Henderson, Mike Dunleavy, Shelden Williams, JJ Redick, and others.

I think we all agree that Barnes is an extremely important recruit to the program at this juncture. We get one official visit and it's going to be . . . Pfeiffer?? I think it would be pretty impressive for the young man to watch our alumni game, and then have Grant Hill, a smart, education-oriented, 6'8", African-American small forward with a wide-ranging skill set, who fit in perfectly at Duke and won 2 national championships and almost a third, and who went on to become an NBA All-Star, take him under his wing. Think the two could relate to each other? Think Grant could help Harrison see himself at Duke? I'm just saying, that kind of scenario has a much bigger upside, at least to an outsider like I am, than does . . . Pfeiffer.

We really don't have any "huge" home games in the November/December timeframe. What weekend would you suggest instead? I'm sure the date works best for him this way.

The bottom line is, he already visited Cameron last year for the UNC game. That was a pretty big venue, no? That was a bigger deal than the UNC alumni game, no? I'm sure the energy and passion impressed him then, so he knows what we can bring to the table. It will be all the more impressive if we can generate a thrilling atmosphere for an exhibition game against Pfeiffer.

Besides, there are a lot of other things for a recruit to see and evaluate than the quality of the opponent in the game. He can look at the facilities, talk to the players, meet with the coaches, see the campus, take in a football game, etc.

SupaDave
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM

This is easy - UNC offers a fun filled weekend of FANTASY and then he gets to come to Duke where he opted to get a taste of REALITY....

airowe
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
This is easy - UNC offers a fun filled weekend of FANTASY and then he gets to come to Duke where he opted to get a taste of REALITY....

Key words.

whereinthehellami
09-02-2009, 08:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Duke has the lead on this. While things like this shouldn't matter, the recruits are teenagers and too some degree, this stuff makes an impact. Roy is the best recruiter for a reason. He has a very good product and he leverages the brand as good as anyone ever has.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Duke has the lead on this. While things like this shouldn't matter, the recruits are teenagers and too some degree, this stuff makes an impact. Roy is the best recruiter for a reason. He has a very good product and he leverages the brand as good as anyone ever has.

I think Calipari might have to disagree.

NSDukeFan
09-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I think Calipari might have to disagree.

I realize Calipari has one of the best classes in recent years this year, but based on how his programs have fared after he has left and the number of titles he has one, I would take Roy's recruiting over his. Of course, I trust in K and his record of top 10 and top 20 classes, and would rather have him than anyone.

Bud
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
We have to remember that Barnes has been to Duke like 3 or 4 times he has been to UNC 1 time. This should tell us something I'm not concerned about UNC.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Regradless how many times he been to our school UNC is still on his list meaning there a threat.