PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, how many shaves do you get before you have to replace the blade?

rsvman
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Electric-shaver types need not reply.

If you shave manually and you shave every day, how often do you have to replace the blade? Is anybody getting much more than a week or ten days out of a blade before it's dull or abrasive?

My curiosity was piqued by the new ads for the Gilette Fusion blades, which claim that some people can use a single blade for THREE WEEKS. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Tell me your experience. If you're getting more than 10 days, what kind of blades are you using and what kind of beard do you have?

Indoor66
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I've seen an ad for a device that allegedly sharpens manual blades of all types. It allegedly extends the life of blades almost indefinitely. Anybody got any experience with this product? (I don't recall the name of the device.)

billybreen
07-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I've seen an ad for a device that allegedly sharpens manual blades of all types. It allegedly extends the life of blades almost indefinitely. Anybody got any experience with this product? (I don't recall the name of the device.)

Wow, if a device like this worked and ever gained traction, Gillette would send a team of ninjas to kill the developer.

billybreen
07-14-2008, 01:29 PM

If you shave manually and you shave every day, how often do you have to replace the blade? Is anybody getting much more than a week or ten days out of a blade before it's dull or abrasive?

My curiosity was piqued by the new ads for the Gilette Fusion blades, which claim that some people can use a single blade for THREE WEEKS. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Tell me your experience. If you're getting more than 10 days, what kind of blades are you using and what kind of beard do you have?

I use Fusion, and I change about every 10 days. They get evil just as quickly as other blades.

UVaAmbassador
07-14-2008, 01:29 PM

I use the Gilette Fusion and the blades last me a good long time, at least 20 or so shaves (framing it in terms of weeks isn't helpful because I regularly go stretches without shaving). More importantly, the replacement blade packs aren't all that expensive.

billybreen
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I use the Gilette Fusion and the blades last me a good long time, at least 20 or so shaves (framing it in terms of weeks isn't helpful because I regularly go stretches without shaving). More importantly, the replacement blade packs aren't all that expensive.

Wow. Maybe my wife is right: my face is made of cactus.

bjornolf
07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a very heavy, sharp beard, as my wife will attest. Even clean shaved I can scrape her bad. I also have sensitive skin, unfortunately. I generally shave every other day, as even new razors rip me up if I do it every day, but I'm pretty bushy by the time I shave. Anyway, I have this magnetic thing that I stick my gillette sensor excel (I think that's what it's called...I use the old two blade one as the three blade one rips me up) in every day. I think it was from sharper image, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it keeps my blade in great shape. I only have to replace it every couple months.

UVaAmbassador
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Wow. Maybe my wife is right: my face is made of cactus.

From the look of your avatar, though, it appears you have considerably more hair than I do.:D

pamtar
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Though I rock a beard, I still shave my neck about 3-4 times a week. My beard comes down about one inch under my chin and progressively gets closer to my jaw as it moves towards my ears. So, I have about 1/2 of a face to shave. I guess that gives me the equivalent of a full face shave twice a week. Enough with the numbers.

To answer the question at hand, every Christmas my wife buys me a ten pack of Gillette Sensor Excel or Sensor 3 blades. I go through the first nine by March. The final blade lasts me until December 25th. It takes a man to rock a beard, but it takes an even bigger man to use the same razor blade for 9 months.

I have a neck of steel. Respect the neck...:D

mph
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM

I use the Mach III and replace the blade every 10-15 shaves. I tried the Fusion but I felt a lot more pull/drag on my beard when shaving. I'm speculating, but I think the blades might be too close together for my beard.

In a closely related point, blade proliferation is getting out of hand. Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?

UVaAmbassador
07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?[/QUOTE]

Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it.

pamtar
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

Bluedog
07-14-2008, 02:54 PM

I see commercials for the "Infinity" blade or something that they claim lasts for life and they'll replace it if it doesn't....but it seems like a gimmick to me. Anything that seems too good to be true, is...

IamMatt'sUserName
07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I shave every other day and only get 3-4 uses out of the Gillette Fusion. As soon as the moisturizing strip wears away, I have to change the blade; otherwise, I'm in for a rough shave.

It seems like most of you are getting 2-3 weeks out of a blade. What's the secret? No reliance on the strip?

I also always shave against the grain; maybe that has something to do with it.

I'd be curious to know whether others shave with the grain or against it. If I shave with the grain, I might as well not shave at all. The only problem is this can irritate my skin (and apparently burn through razor blades).

allenmurray
07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd be curious to know whether others shave with the grain or against it. If I shave with the grain, I might as well not shave at all. The only problem is this can irritate my skin (and apparently burn through razor blades).

Agaisnt the grain - always. That is the only way I feel like I have gotten a close shave. But it does wear the razor blade out a lot faster. I've also found that razor blades last a lot longer if I use a high quality shave gel. It really does seem to make a difference. Also, I tend to get a better shave if I shower before I shave rather than after (I guess it softens up the skin) and if I use really hot water.

rsvman
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM

My kid game me this piece of crap for Father's Day (it's called "save a blade"). Don't waste your time or money. It made the razor DULLER and more likely to cut my face. I saw a video about it on the internet and they looked at the blades microscopically before and after using this thing; it created massive roughness at the edge of the blade.

Matches
07-14-2008, 03:18 PM
No more than 7-8 days, and that's pushing it. I've tried multiple brands, all pretty much the same.

2535Miles
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
When I do shave, I use a blade once and then toss it. My beard is made of steel and grows in so many directions that there is no such thing as grain. I hate shaving. I have a beard.

Bluedawg
07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
My beard is just now starting to come back so i don't recall. I normally buy disposals, because I’m cheep, and they don't last long although I use them until they don't cut anymore. I just let it pull.

I have heard that if you dry off the blades one blade should last close to a year.

In February 2006, a gentleman called the show and spoke about using the same razor for a year. He revealed that blades don't degrade from shaving, but rather they corrode from the moisture that collects on them once you're done shaving.
Drying your razor blades extends shelf life (http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2007/08/31/12606/)

murpho
07-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Wow. I know I'm cheap but I'm worse than I expected. I use the Mach 3, shave during the week, not much on the weekend and I usually replace my blade once every 2-3 months. I just ride it until finally I remember that I haven't replaced it in awhile and then go another week or so before finally giving in.

billybreen
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
From the look of your avatar, though, it appears you have considerably more hair than I do.:D

Oh, that dude's face is nice and soft. But it smells like a fish.

billybreen
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
In a closely related point, blade proliferation is getting out of hand. Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?

Some heavily NSFW language here, but this Onion op-ed column by the CEO of Gillette (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930) is brilliant. When you consider that this was written significantly before the release of the Fusion, you have a delicious bit of art foreshadowing life.

Turk
07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
... I am posting my shaving habits on the web. "What a country!"

I am using somebody's multi-blade thingy with the little strip now. Every few years someone sends me a freebie and I'll switch to that one.

I can get away with M-W-F workday shaving, and I change the blade every two months. The switch to the new blade is nice, but the old one could still go longer if I felt like it. Disposables really and truly suck. Never ever used one that was good for more than two shaves.

Days skipped shaving on vacation more or less even out the the "get dressed up" Saturday night weekend cougar-hunting shaves...

I can rock a goatee (with more than a 'touch of grey' these days) and some grunge sideburns, but the stuff in between would take weeks if not months to fill in. Not sure whom to thank for the relatively hairless ancestry in my genetic soup, but I'm not complaining.... And I go straight downgrain; going uphill doesn't make much difference and is not worth the effort....

What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights? Fingernail trimming? Navel lint? If you're an "outie", what kind of shirts give you the most problems? If you're an "innie", how often do you dig it out (if at all)? What tools (if any) are required?

mph
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Some heavily NSFW language here, but this Onion op-ed column by the CEO of Gillette (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930) is brilliant. When you consider that this was written significantly before the release of the Fusion, you have a delicious bit of art foreshadowing life.

Thanks for the good laugh.

billybreen
07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights? Fingernail trimming? Navel lint? If you're an "outie", what kind of shirts give you the most problems? If you're an "innie", how often do you dig it out (if at all)? What tools (if any) are required?

All of the above. Bi-weekly to monthly. Rarely an issue. Innie, hair shirts. N/A. Obviated by bathing.

CathyCA
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm astonished by how long some of you guys can use a razor blade. Those of you who don't change them very often, do you have razor burn? Ingrown hairs? Pain?

I know this topic was directed to the guys. But I do use a razor every day on my legs and I go through 2 razors a week. I use the pink Schick Quatro disposable (4 blades and an aloe strip). How can you guys stand to shave with dull blades? How can you even call it shaving?

allenmurray
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I entered into a contrct once with Patrick Davidson. In exchange for my first three children he agreed to come over to my house and stare at my beard until it fell out. But it didn't work too well - my skin exploded in a giant Davidson-induced fireball.

hughgs
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm astonished by how long some of you guys can use a razor blade. Those of you who don't change them very often, do you have razor burn? Ingrown hairs? Pain?

I know this topic was directed to the guys. But I do use a razor every day on my legs and I go through 2 razors a week. I use the pink Schick Quatro disposable (4 blades and an aloe strip). How can you guys stand to shave with dull blades? How can you even call it shaving?

A ex-girlfriend of mine found that shaving cream worked much better than soap, that should help a bit.

The decision to shave with a dull blade or change the blade is a simple matter of remembering and laziness. You don't remember that you need to change the blade until you start and by that time you just figure to finish and change the blade next time, ad infinitum.

hughgs
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
My kid game me this piece of crap for Father's Day (it's called "save a blade"). Don't waste your time or money. It made the razor DULLER and more likely to cut my face. I saw a video about it on the internet and they looked at the blades microscopically before and after using this thing; it created massive roughness at the edge of the blade.

Even if the device worked on the one side of the blade, sharpening requires two flat surfaces which means they also need to sharpen the other side.

EarlJam
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I use the Quattro razor. I use about a blade a week, so, seven shaves.

After all these years, I still cringe a little when I shave around my mouth.

-EarlJam

2535Miles
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I use the Quattro razor. I use about a blade a week, so, seven shaves.

After all these years, I still cringe a little when I shave around my mouth.

You shave everyday? My favorite part about the weekend is that I don't have to shave anymo... who am I kidding, I never have to shave anyway. BUT, if I did, that would be one of my favorite parts about the weekend.

There is nothing that bleeds quite like a chunk of your mouth missing. In my book, cutting your lip shaving is a good enough reason to call in sick.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-15-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't know if this is the case... but its amazing to me... I've talked to some educated men who complain about manual blades (feels like its "ripping" the hairs out of their face)... just make sure you get your face good and wet in the shower with warm water... make sure you wash it in the shower with mousturized soap... slap a towel on and shave AS SOON as you get out of the shower. much smoother, much closer shave.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't know if this is the case... but its amazing to me... I've talked to some educated men who complain about manual blades (feels like its "ripping" the hairs out of their face)... just make sure you get your face good and wet in the shower with warm water... make sure you wash it in the shower with mousturized soap... slap a towel on and shave AS SOON as you get out of the shower. much smoother, much closer shave. also rinse the blade after every stroke in warm water. I get 30 shaves out of my blades easy.

Bluedawg
07-15-2008, 09:45 AM

yes, no, yes

rsvman
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
You shave everyday?

I don't really have much of a choice. My wife absolutely HATES facial hair. She wants her man clean shaven. Every once in a long while she'll give me a Saturday off (I call it my "facial day of rest"). I'd say in a 31-day month, I shave at least 30 days.

Occasionally, I'll get 14 shaves out of a blade, but usually about 10 is the max. I'm going to try Bluedawg's suggestion and dry the blade after I use it every day and see if I can stretch it out to 3 weeks.

DukeDevil
07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I have one piece of advice for you all.

Buy a fogless mirror for the shower and shave in the shower.

I've found that it does wonders for the shave. My standard for "pulling" has changed. A brand new blade, used to shave at the sink, feels aweful to me. Shaving during a hot shower cuts down the shave time, plus rinsing off afterwards is a breeze.

Also, as someone else mentioned, drying the blade will greatly extend blade life. Razors last about 2-3 weeks for me, and I could probably go longer with the blade but I started buying the massive pack of blades from costco which seems to save.

Also, I shave with the grain. I get massive breakouts and ingrown hairs if I go against.

2535Miles
07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I get razor burn, ingrown hairs, and pain every time I shave, and I'm the guy who uses blades once and throws them away. I guess my face is cursed (have fun with that one).

I don't really have much of a choice. My wife absolutely HATES facial hair. She wants her man clean shaven. Every once in a long while she'll give me a Saturday off (I call it my "facial day of rest"). I'd say in a 31-day month, I shave at least 30 days.

Occasionally, I'll get 14 shaves out of a blade, but usually about 10 is the max. I'm going to try Bluedawg's suggestion and dry the blade after I use it every day and see if I can stretch it out to 3 weeks.
Wow, I hope my the soon-to-be-if-I-ever-find-her Mrs. 235Miles likes facial hair because there is just no way I could shave that often. I wonder how much the average male DBR poster spends a year on razor blades.

Reisen
07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I'll echo the "buy-a-fogless-mirror-and-shave-in-the-shower" suggestion. That alone makes a HUGE difference.

My wife actually likes my best either 1 or 2 days after I shave, the short-stubble look. I agree, but I can only get away with taking one day off shaving while working, so I usually shave Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I would guess I get 6-10 shaves out of a razor, but I notice a definite difference in feel by the end of the blade life. I don't know how drying would help, as it's the moisturizing strip that usually tells me the blade is done.

While it sucks to spend all that money on blades (I tried the fusion and didn't like it, I still use the orange M3 blades), the reality is that they work so much better than every other option, so it's worth it.

I shave with the grain on my face, and against the grain on my throat. The hair on my throat grows at such a steep angle (basically parallel to my skin) that shaving with the grain basically won't cut it. Not surprisingly, the only razor burn I get is on my throat.

blublood
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I get razor burn, ingrown hairs, and pain every time I shave, and I'm the guy who uses blades once and throws them away. I guess my face is cursed (have fun with that one).

I was going to post this earlier and now that CathyCA has joined this fascinating topic of conversation, I feel justified in doing so.

* Men of DBR - if you're having a lot of trouble with razor burn, bumps, etc. it may not be your razor that's to blame.* My husband thought I was crazy, but after getting "razor burn" (more accurately characterized as a horrible, stinging pain radiating down my legs) from shaving with his shaving cream on my legs, I suggested that he switch to Aveeno. No fragrances, emulsifiers, weird colors, dioxymidiichlorians, etc. From that point onwards, he claims that his face has become less sensitive, but I know the truth and I'm the one that has to buy the stuff for him because he's embarrassed.

(oh, but I'm willing to because I hate facial hair too... why would anyone ever like it?? Do you enjoy kissing a pot scourer? No? Then why would you have any use for beards, goatees, etc.?)

blublood
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights?

You mean you don't think our forefathers would have rejoiced to see this day on that night when they crossed the whole Delaware in sub-zero temperatures in their selfless dedication to our country and us, their descendants?? :D

2535Miles
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I was going to post this earlier and now that CathyCA has joined this fascinating topic of conversation, I feel justified in doing so.

* Men of DBR - if you're having a lot of trouble with razor burn, bumps, etc. it may not be your razor that's to blame.* My husband thought I was crazy, but after getting "razor burn" (more accurately characterized as a horrible, stinging pain radiating down my legs) from shaving with his shaving cream on my legs, I suggested that he switch to Aveeno. No fragrances, emulsifiers, weird colors, dioxymidiichlorians, etc. From that point onwards, he claims that his face has become less sensitive, but I know the truth and I'm the one that has to buy the stuff for him because he's embarrassed.
I've gone through it all. The best solution that I stick with now is Clinique's Men's 3-Step and skin care products. The face scrub softens the beard up nicely, the shaving cream is great and the lotion dulls the fire on my face quite nicely.

Occasionally, I'll sport the Abe Lincoln because the mustache and higher areas on the cheek don't seem to have the same problems as my neck. My biggest problem is the ingrown hairs on my neck that happen afterwards. So far, Clinique hasn't made anything to address that. :-(

billybreen
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
How is it that we've had this whole thread about shaving habits but haven't heard from the poster whose facial hair affectations inspired his username? Where is throatybeard?

Turk
07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
You mean you don't think our forefathers would have rejoiced to see this day on that night when they crossed the whole Delaware in sub-zero temperatures in their selfless dedication to our country and us, their descendants?? :D

Nope. A bunch of them were sitting around in Sam Adams' tavern until the wee hours and the talk turned to shaving. Hancock was grousing about what a PITA it was to go to the damn barber every other day. Franklin remarked that if you really wanted a good shave, you had to go all the way to Italy. The next morning, before they got back to work arguing about whether Burke, Locke, or Hobbes was better, and where they should tell the King to shove his tea, Hancock said, 'Dude, we were totally wasted last night. I can't remember what we were talking about, but it was some @#$$@#-up @#$@#$!! And Jefferson couldn't keep his mitts off that cougar wench from Southie; he's not here yet, I wonder if he got any sumpin-sumpin... And that wuss Adams - he always goes home so early, that boy is whipped... Good thing wearing this wig helps the hangover go away, but Revere looks like such a mess he should be wearing two... "

Or something like that...

cato
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
How is it that we've had this whole thread about shaving habits but haven't heard from the poster whose facial hair affectations inspired his username? Where is throatybeard?

The coolest thing about throaty is that he was probably the most recognizable person on campus. Some people might not have recognized Trajan, Cherokee or Brand, but if you mentioned "Amish dude", everybody knew who you were talking about.

rsvman
07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
The Aveeno gel really is nice. I'll suggest another absolutely great shaving cream (not a gel and not a foam) that you can buy relatively cheaply at Target. It's called "Everyman Jack," and it is also fragrance and irritant free.

I recently picked up some shaving cream from Trader Joe's that really moisturizes. It does have some mango-honey fragrance, but it's pretty light and it doesn't seem to irritate my face. The amazing thing is how smooth and moisturized it makes my face.

I have pretty much decided that in general, true creams are better than foams (what people normally call "shaving cream") or gels (that essentially turn into foams but leave a thin layer of cream beneath).

billybreen
07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Kiehl's is my favorite shaving product. I was previously on Zihr, but Kiehl's is better at moisturizing. Use of fancy shaving creams and the fact that I now shave with the grain are a result of the few episodes of Queer Eye I watched back in 2003.

UVaAmbassador
07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Kiehl's is my favorite shaving product. I was previously on Zihr, but Kiehl's is better at moisturizing. Use of fancy shaving creams and the fact that I now shave with the grain are a result of the few episodes of Queer Eye I watched back in 2003.

As an aside, while I never really watched Queer Eye during its run, I'd be fascinated to see a "Where are they now" type show with people who they tried to improve. I'd be very curious to see what percentage have regressed back into slob-dom.

throatybeard
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM

I've had very sporadic internet access, as I'm in rural MS in a friend's internetless, cableless house.

One Mach 3 blade lasts me somewhere between 60 and 90 days, I would estimate. Of course, it only gets used on the mustachal area, so it has maybe 5% or 10% as much work to do as most people's blades. I tried some quintuple blade and found it less comfortable than Mach 3, despite the extra blades. I believe 3 is the perfect number of blades. I shave in the shower with no mirror.

I trim the beard about once every 17 to 20 days, roughly a haircut cycle, 20 days or so. MMV becuase I have to keep in more or less in equilibrium with my hair. I can't get a haircut (setting three on the trimmer all around) and then have a big bushy beard. I'm not sure how many beard trimmers I've destroyed in 15 years. I'd guess at least a dozen.

devildeac
07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
often use the old fashioned 2 blade razors and get 2-3 weeks of shaving out of them, usually skipping Friday nights for a shave-free day. Currently using some of the 5 blade disposables (Gillette?) and working on about a month now, I guess. The moisturizing strip is falling apart so it is time to change that:o. Any shave cream with aloe works for me with rare burns and I shave with and against the grain. I hate the gel shave products as I can never get all the junk out from between the blades. I have had 2 beards in rebellious stages (wife hates them) and 1 goatee (hated also). Had a moustache/mustache since I was about 20 and trim it about once weekly. No one touches/trims that but me:D. My razors NEVER touch my wife's legs/axillae-she knows better-and vice versa:D.

camion
12-31-2020, 01:06 PM
Passing time in the pandemic? Here's one thing I did.

I just finished a marathon shaving endeavor. I completed one year of shaving with a single Gillette disposable razor (2 blades). I took my first shave on 01/01/2020 and my last shave with the razor today 12/31/2020. I must admit I fudged things a bit. I have a beard and only shave cheeks and neck, under the chin, three time per week. Still that's about 150 "shaves" from the razor.

Best thing: After the March 01 I didn't have to worry at all about nicks.

Worst thing: After September 01 I had to make multiple passes to get satisfactory results.

The razor:

The face:

Note: I searched for a newer thread, but this was the relevant one I found.

Note 2: I'm a bit worried about my next shave with a new blade. It might be a bloodbath.

rsvman
12-31-2020, 03:11 PM
I had forgotten I even started this thread oh so many years ago.

I have had quite a shaving journey since then. In March of 2009 I joined a forum called "Badger and Blade" that is dedicated to old-fashioned ways of shaving. My April I was lathering with a shaving brush and shaving with a double-edge razor.

This went on for a long time, and then, in late 2017, I tried a replaceable-blade straight razor for about a month. This led to acquisition of actual straight razors, which I maintained and used for about the next 260 shaves or so.

I finally got tired of obsessing about the "edge" and had no desire to learn honing, so I went back, for about 6 months or so, to double-edge safety razor shaving.

In late September of last year, I remembered how much I had liked straight shaving but disliked the upkeep. That led me back to replaceable blade straight razors (sometimes erroneously called "shavettes"). Just like a real straight razor, these are a form of open-blade shaving. They take special blades called Artist Club (or AC) blades. I started back with these razors in late September and since then I have used nothing else.

I now shave only 4 times a week rather than every single day. A single AC blade usually lasts me about a month, so about 16 shaves. I am still making lather the old-fashioned way, with a brush, and now use shaving soaps exclusively (rather than lathering creams).

I know this way of shaving isn't for everybody, but it works for me and I love it. It is very meditative. You have to learn the skill and you have to pay attention, because it is a very sharp open blade (much sharper than even the sharpest straight razor, which, by the way, are a lot safer), but once you get good at it it's pretty much muscle memory. My wife knows not to plow through the door when I'm in there with an open razor up against my jugular.

Another advantage of this type of shaving is that it contributes no waste to the environment. The razor itself lasts a lifetime. The tiny blades are fully recyclable. I put them into Altoids Smalls tins. I fill one up about every two years, lol. Then into the recycling it goes. I generally buy shave soap refills and re-use containers I already have.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-31-2020, 05:09 PM
I bought a new Norelco rotary razor for myself in November because the price at Costco, with a replacement head included, was just over the cost of replacement blades. I've used my current Norelco rotarty for about 4 years (including the replacement head it came with) and there's nothing wrong with it. Even the battery charge still lasts about a month. I'll keep the new model in reserve until I need to replace the current blades.

May not be the absolute closest shave available, but it is the most comfortable, with no nicks or cuts ever. I do use Williams Lectric Shave to lubricate my beard first, so there is no razor burn. :cool:

fuse
12-31-2020, 06:36 PM
I had forgotten I even started this thread oh so many years ago.

I have had quite a shaving journey since then. In March of 2009 I joined a forum called "Badger and Blade" that is dedicated to old-fashioned ways of shaving. My April I was lathering with a shaving brush and shaving with a double-edge razor.

This went on for a long time, and then, in late 2017, I tried a replaceable-blade straight razor for about a month. This led to acquisition of actual straight razors, which I maintained and used for about the next 260 shaves or so.

I finally got tired of obsessing about the "edge" and had no desire to learn honing, so I went back, for about 6 months or so, to double-edge safety razor shaving.

In late September of last year, I remembered how much I had liked straight shaving but disliked the upkeep. That led me back to replaceable blade straight razors (sometimes erroneously called "shavettes"). Just like a real straight razor, these are a form of open-blade shaving. They take special blades called Artist Club (or AC) blades. I started back with these razors in late September and since then I have used nothing else.

I now shave only 4 times a week rather than every single day. A single AC blade usually lasts me about a month, so about 16 shaves. I am still making lather the old-fashioned way, with a brush, and now use shaving soaps exclusively (rather than lathering creams).

I know this way of shaving isn't for everybody, but it works for me and I love it. It is very meditative. You have to learn the skill and you have to pay attention, because it is a very sharp open blade (much sharper than even the sharpest straight razor, which, by the way, are a lot safer), but once you get good at it it's pretty much muscle memory. My wife knows not to plow through the door when I'm in there with an open razor up against my jugular.

Another advantage of this type of shaving is that it contributes no waste to the environment. The razor itself lasts a lifetime. The tiny blades are fully recyclable. I put them into Altoids Smalls tins. I fill one up about every two years, lol. Then into the recycling it goes. I generally buy shave soap refills and re-use containers I already have.

Love that this thread got kicked back up to the top.

I started down the path of “not Gillette” in 2016.
Not because I didn’t like the shave, but because I was tired of the cost.

I spent a lot of time of Badger & Blade before buying a Merkur handle, Bic double edge safety blades, and a badger brush from eShave.

I swear by Mike’s All Natural soaps.
The most “zen” part of the shave for me is lathering the brush and my face.

I got comfortable enough in April 2017 to make the jump to Feathers.
I bought a 100 pack of Feather blades and literally switched to the last one after shaving this morning.

Aside from the initial investment (from memory, maybe 25-50 for the handle, 15 for a soap puck, and maybe another 20-40 for the brush), its been dirt cheap to shave.

I spent $20 on the Feathers, and $12 on the Mike’s shave soap (need a new soap puck about every six months). That $20 lasted for two and a half years of shaves.

I’d go through a Gillette top end cartridge head maybe every 2 weeks. A month if I was lucky.

Now that Schick(?) acquired Harrys we’ll see if the economic disruption Dollar Shave Club and Harry’s started will continue.

For what its worth if you like the shave you get from DSC, you can get the same from Amazon.

I’ve not been bold enough to make a step into shavettes or straight razors.

I can recommend getting into double edge safety razor shaving as a daily habit that is a bit of a fun way to save money as well.

cspan37421
12-31-2020, 07:04 PM
Where are typical brick and mortar places to find double-edged safety razor blades? I just got handed down a safety razor and don't have any blades. Prefer to buy local, and won't use the river site if at all possible.

Generally I'm a twin blade disposable guy (the cheapest kind works fine!), having been twin-blade cartridge and saw Atra and the like soar in price for no apparent advantage over the throwaways. I would really like to cut my use of disposable plastic, so I'm going to look around for options.

Close burn free shave for me typically involves:

Shaving with the grain first, but leave a bit of Barbasol on the perimeter ... then,
warm water and spread thin layer of rest of Barbasol, then shave against the grain.

rinse blade frequently

sometimes helps to skip a day or shave every 36h instead of every 24.

I replace shaver every 10 shaves or so. About 2 weeks.

Thanks!

rsvman
12-31-2020, 08:00 PM
Where are typical brick and mortar places to find double-edged safety razor blades? I just got handed down a safety razor and don't have any blades. Prefer to buy local, and won't use the river site if at all possible.

Generally I'm a twin blade disposable guy (the cheapest kind works fine!), having been twin-blade cartridge and saw Atra and the like soar in price for no apparent advantage over the throwaways. I would really like to cut my use of disposable plastic, so I'm going to look around for options.

Shaving with the grain first, but leave a bit of Barbasol on the perimeter ... then,
warm water and spread thin layer of rest of Barbasol, then shave against the grain.

rinse blade frequently

Thanks!

Walmart used to carry German Wilkinsln Sword blades that I really liked, but they discontinued them a few years ago. The blades you can buy at cvs and the like are generally Korean blades. I find them rough, and they are way overpriced.
For double edge blades you should definitely go to the internet. Many blades are available for about $15-20 per hundred.
If you are a newbie, you should get a blade sampler first, before buying in bulk, because blade taste is highly individual.

cspan37421
12-31-2020, 08:06 PM
I remember those Wilkinson Sword ones, and agree, they were quite good. I like Schick's Slim Twin a lot. Most twin blade razors do well. But would like to cut that plastic trash.

Say, how do you handle those double-edged safety razor blades? Other than carefully? Can you touch them on the short ends safely? I can see cutting my fingers before I ever get a chance to cut my face!

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-31-2020, 08:58 PM
I gave up daily shaving a few years ago. Just too harsh on my skin. I keep a short beard and just shave my neckline once or twice a week at most. So much more comfortable than daily shaving and battling constant irritation.

I do have one bit of general shaving advice and one secret I’ll share. For many, many years I just assumed that rinsing my face with warm water when done with my shave was the good and right thing to do. Wrong! About five years ago I learned that rinsing with cold water was the only way to go. What a difference. Really helps close your pores after your shave and reduces irritation.

Now my secret... I suffered through the pain and dread of ingrown hair for most of my shaving life. I must have spent $200 or more trying all sorts of aftershave lotions, potions and balms and nothing worked. Not even a little. I had kinda given up and accepted that I would never be able to overcome the problem. Then one day in a Walgreens of all places I found an aftershave called Bump Patrol and gave it a shot. For seven bucks, I had nothing to lose. Well, turns out this company sells a miracle in the form of a liquid aftershave in a blue plastic bottle. I don’t know what’s in it. I don’t know why it’s so different. And frankly I don’t care. Because I haven’t had an ingrown hair or neck irritation in years. I have no stake in the company but I do buy it on Amazon by the boatload just in case they ever stopped making it. If you have shaving irritation problems, this stuff will literally change your life.

-jk
12-31-2020, 09:23 PM
I remember those Wilkinson Sword ones, and agree, they were quite good. I like Schick's Slim Twin a lot. Most twin blade razors do well. But would like to cut that plastic trash.

Say, how do you handle those double-edged safety razor blades? Other than carefully? Can you touch them on the short ends safely? I can see cutting my fingers before I ever get a chance to cut my face!

And do you still push them through the slot behind the mirror?

-jk

rsvman
12-31-2020, 10:08 PM

It is totally safe to handle them by the narrow ends, yes.

wilson
12-31-2020, 10:44 PM
I have a Burt Reynolds mustache. It’s silly and hilarious and I like it. I shave the rest of my face with grocery store brand razors. It’s fine.

fuse
12-31-2020, 11:06 PM

rinse blade frequently

Thanks!

You could try West Coast Shaving or similar places:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/razor-blades

Grooming Lounge:

https://www.groominglounge.com/collections/blades-accessories/Razor-Blades

Gotta say your biggest upgrade might be moving away from Barbasol and to something like Edge Gel.

There are other options, like Jack Black,
that make a nice shave cream.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-31-2020, 11:40 PM

Grooming Lounge:

Gotta say your biggest upgrade might be moving away from Barbasol and to something like Edge Gel.

A shaving brush is a worthwhile upgrade. I’m a huge fan of Bump Patrol gel shave cream. Combined with the shave brush, I feel like I found shaving nirvana.

cspan37421
01-01-2021, 08:23 AM

-jk

This might be a "whooosh" for me if there's a reference I'm supposed to get. :confused:

cspan37421
01-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Grooming Lounge:

Thanks - I have tried a lot of things over the years - as an 80s teen I was using a brush and Williams shaving soap ... so I've been experimenting a long time (or old before my time) - but am not done yet.

Plain soap and water works OK if you are shaving with the grain. It'll get you by.

I am not a fan of Edge, but not so much for efficacy (it does give a close shave) ... but I find it very hard to rinse out between twin blades. I tried something of Jack Black brand, maybe aftershave lotion that my son left behind one year, didn't like that either. Barbasol (original) actually works really well for me. Short of very expensive shave creams, it's the best if I do my part ... which includes washing my face first with warm water (or shaving right out of the shower), and shaking the can long enough first.

I'll keep an eye out for Bump Patrol, that sounds worth trying. And cold water rinse.

One thing I really miss is the straight razor neck shave at barbershops. In my early days out of college I had an Italian barber who ran a shop near where I worked, and he worked with his son, and was always busting his chops. After a nice haircut, you'd get the shave lather on your neck and a straight razor shave. It felt so incredibly smooth and clean! But few shops anymore do that, and I don't know of any that I would trust to really be adequately sanitized or sterilized. Last place I went just wiped their blades and stuck them under a UV light (laid on one side). I bet their combs (stored submerged in "Barbicide") were probably cleaner!

But, not sure I trust myself to go straight razor. I like the no plastic at all and idea of using an Altoids tin for recycling, but I suspect it would be greatly diminished returns at greatly higher risk. At some point baby-butt smooth from doing a second pass, against the grain, is close enough.

camion
01-01-2021, 09:00 AM

-jk

You must be really old. Anyway I got this. I guess I must be really old too. :(

In days of yore when safety razors were in wide use, some places (homes, hotels) had a slot in the bathroom cabinet fixture where you could deposit your used razor blades. I have sometimes wondered what happened when the space behind the slot filled up, but then I supposed that it would take a century's worth of blades to do that. Perhaps the slot is like the door of the Tardis.

Rich
01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Count me as a double edged safety razor convert. After the initial investment, the costs are minimal unless you want to treat yourself, which I tend to do.

I invested in a "beginner" Edwin Jagger razor (love the feel and weight), eventually moved up to a silver tip badger brush (expensive but has lasted a few years and is expected to last about 10), I choose to use fairly expensive creams from England such as Taylor of Bond Street and Truefitt & Hill (from Amazon or a local barber who sells them), and after much experimentation settled on Polsilver blades (although it looks like they may have been discontinued).

After the initial investment, you're just paying for the tub creams (which last a lot longer than the canned stuff) and the blades (which I use one per week but they cost about 20 cents per blade).

Most importantly, I enjoy the experience much more than the 3-4-5 blade cartridges, but admittedly there is a learning curve and it is a longer routine and requires at least two passes to get a decent shave.

Kdogg
01-01-2021, 09:59 AM

In days of yore when safety razors were in wide use, some places (homes, hotels) had a slot in the bathroom cabinet fixture where you could deposit your used razor blades. I have sometimes wondered what happened when the space behind the slot filled up, but then I supposed that it would take a century's worth of blades to do that. Perhaps the slot is like the door of the Tardis.

The last time I was on a plane the bathroom still had that slot.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Thanks - I have tried a lot of things over the years - as an 80s teen I was using a brush and Williams shaving soap ... so I've been experimenting a long time (or old before my time) - but am not done yet.

Plain soap and water works OK if you are shaving with the grain. It'll get you by.

I am not a fan of Edge, but not so much for efficacy (it does give a close shave) ... but I find it very hard to rinse out between twin blades. I tried something of Jack Black brand, maybe aftershave lotion that my son left behind one year, didn't like that either. Barbasol (original) actually works really well for me. Short of very expensive shave creams, it's the best if I do my part ... which includes washing my face first with warm water (or shaving right out of the shower), and shaking the can long enough first.

I'll keep an eye out for Bump Patrol, that sounds worth trying. And cold water rinse.

One thing I really miss is the straight razor neck shave at barbershops. In my early days out of college I had an Italian barber who ran a shop near where I worked, and he worked with his son, and was always busting his chops. After a nice haircut, you'd get the shave lather on your neck and a straight razor shave. It felt so incredibly smooth and clean! But few shops anymore do that, and I don't know of any that I would trust to really be adequately sanitized or sterilized. Last place I went just wiped their blades and stuck them under a UV light (laid on one side). I bet their combs (stored submerged in "Barbicide") were probably cleaner!

But, not sure I trust myself to go straight razor. I like the no plastic at all and idea of using an Altoids tin for recycling, but I suspect it would be greatly diminished returns at greatly higher risk. At some point baby-butt smooth from doing a second pass, against the grain, is close enough.

I have tried every method of shaving there is and I believe that straight razor shaving is actually the gentlest way to shave, and the best for your skin.
It's not for everybody. I say that it is both more difficult than you think it is and easier than you think it is. The learning curve is rough. At about 25 shaves I almost gave up. I feel like I really got good at it maybe at about the 150th shave or so (straight razor guys always say that you get it by 100,but for me it took a little longer). But lnce you get it, it really is quite simple.
Using a DE is almost as good and almost as satisfying, and it is a lot easier. You can use a DE blade anywhere from 3 to about 12 shaves, depending on a lot of variables, and you can likewise stick them in an Altoids Smalls tin and recycle the whole thing. It will hold a lot of blades. Also you can get DE blades for about 15 cents each. I can see why for most people it has more appeal.
I don't think I will go back from straights to DE unless something forces me to, though. I han an amazing shave this morning with my Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline blade.

I agree that the Polsilver is one of the best DE blades. Too bad they are no longer making them.

elvis14
01-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Man I feel pretty basic after reading some of this. I just use Gillette Proglide Power Razor with a shaving gel. Have used these for years. Started when I discovered the single blade on the top to get under my nose. The Power part just vibrates the razor and it doesn't give you a closer shave but its does reduce discomfort, however. The blades aren't cheap but they last a while. I shave 3-4 days a week and keep a blade around until I realize it's catching a bit. I probably switch it out every 6-8 weeks or so. I prefer to shave in the shower so my razor and shaving gel live in there (which means that they need to be cleaned up every now and then).

fuse
01-01-2021, 01:42 PM
I have tried every method of shaving there is and I believe that straight razor shaving is actually the gentlest way to shave, and the best for your skin.
It's not for everybody. I say that it is both more difficult than you think it is and easier than you think it is. The learning curve is rough. At about 25 shaves I almost gave up. I feel like I really got good at it maybe at about the 150th shave or so (straight razor guys always say that you get it by 100,but for me it took a little longer). But lnce you get it, it really is quite simple.
Using a DE is almost as good and almost as satisfying, and it is a lot easier. You can use a DE blade anywhere from 3 to about 12 shaves, depending on a lot of variables, and you can likewise stick them in an Altoids Smalls tin and recycle the whole thing. It will hold a lot of blades. Also you can get DE blades for about 15 cents each. I can see why for most people it has more appeal.
I don't think I will go back from straights to DE unless something forces me to, though. I han an amazing shave this morning with my Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline blade.

I agree that the Polsilver is one of the best DE blades. Too bad they are no longer making them.

The most difficult part of straight razor shaving is a steep initial entry point- seems like the recommended blades hover around $250 and up.

Combine cost with at least perceived higher risk and developing skill in both shaving and maintaining the blade, makes straight razor shaving seem unapproachable.

I’ve had 2 barber straight razor shaves in my life, and both times they were not what I hoped they would be. I believe both barbers were experts.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 02:44 PM
The most difficult part of straight razor shaving is a steep initial entry point- seems like the recommended blades hover around $250 and up.

Combine cost with at least perceived higher risk and developing skill in both shaving and maintaining the blade, makes straight razor shaving seem unapproachable.

I’ve had 2 barber straight razor shaves in my life, and both times they were not what I hoped they would be. I believe both barbers were experts.

Most barbers nowadays don't really know what they are doing when it comes to straight razor shaving. Short of a few old timers and/or Turkish barbers who give straight shaves all day every day, there are almost no barbers out there who can give you a better straight razor shave than you can give yourself. Nobody knows your face as well as you do. When you are a skilled straight shaver, you are constantly and essentially almost automatically adjusting the pressure, angle, direction, skin stretching, etc with each and every shave, tailoring it to exactly what you need at that particular moment. A barber can't do that.

Costs can look prohibitive, but really don't have to be. I started with a vintage straight that I bought for $40 and a paddle strop that was, I think, $35. That was my total investment. If you stick with it, there are no more blade expenses either, since you use the same blade over and over again.

Again, after using traditional straights for about a year, I gave them up and now use the closest thing I could find that doesn't require honing and stropping. I am still straight razor shaving, but without the hassle. A person could try this much more cheaply. There is a clone razor called a Mythus, available from CBLsoaps for $21. A pack of AC blades is about $25. That $46 bucks would shave me for two and a half years. And zero plastic waste.

fuse
01-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Most barbers nowadays don't really know what they are doing when it comes to straight razor shaving. Short of a few old timers and/or Turkish barbers who give straight shaves all day every day, there are almost no barbers out there who can give you a better straight razor shave than you can give yourself. Nobody knows your face as well as you do. When you are a skilled straight shaver, you are constantly and essentially almost automatically adjusting the pressure, angle, direction, skin stretching, etc with each and every shave, tailoring it to exactly what you need at that particular moment. A barber can't do that.

Costs can look prohibitive, but really don't have to be. I started with a vintage straight that I bought for $40 and a paddle strop that was, I think, $35. That was my total investment. If you stick with it, there are no more blade expenses either, since you use the same blade over and over again.

Again, after using traditional straights for about a year, I gave them up and now use the closest thing I could find that doesn't require honing and stropping. I am still straight razor shaving, but without the hassle. A person could try this much more cheaply. There is a clone razor called a Mythus, available from CBLsoaps for $21. A pack of AC blades is about $25. That $46 bucks would shave me for two and a half years. And zero plastic waste.

The missing detail for me is the research on comparing the AC blade experience to the DE experience.

I looked at a Feather AC handle a year or so ago, and can’t recall why I decided not to try it.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 03:09 PM
The missing detail for me is the research on comparing the AC blade experience to the DE experience.

I looked at a Feather AC handle a year or so ago, and can’t recall why I decided not to try it.

The AC blades, for me, are superior in almost every way. The blade itself is much thicker but shorter, which provides much better structural integrity (it would be hard to bend it in any way that would allow blade chatter). The blades are also sharper and yet somehow generally smoother. They last a lot longer, at least twice as many shaves if not more.

If you want to try an AC razor without going to an open blade, there are a lot of razors that are designed to take AC blades. Take a look at the Colonial General, for one. They originally made it in aluminum; that one was pretty cheap and was an amazing shaver. Then they made it in brass, and later in stainless steel. I tried the brass version but preferred the aluminum one. If I still had it, I would send it to you to try out, but I sold it. Above the Tie makes a razor called the SE1 that is also really nice, but it is not cheap. Probably the cheapest of the "non-open-blade AC razors" is the Razorock Hawk. You can find it at Italianbarber.com.

These don't have a real learning curve. If you can shave with a Bic disposable, you should be able to learn to shave with one of these razors without too much trouble. They are more expensive than the open-blade Mythus, mentioned above, which is a clone of a Japanese razor called the Kai Luffy (no longer being produced).

But AC blades are amazing. There isn't as much variety, but the blades themselves are so good it doesn't matter. My two favorites are the Schick Proline and the Kai Mild PINK. Both outstanding blades. Feather gets all the press, but the two I just mentioned are better than anything Feather makes, in my opinion.

Edited to add that AC blades are wider, meaning that you cut more stubble with each stroke. If you are used to shaving with a DE blade, this requires a tiny bit of adjustment, but in general is a plus.

fuse
01-01-2021, 03:31 PM
The AC blades, for me, are superior in almost every way. The blade itself is much thicker but shorter, which provides much better structural integrity (it would be hard to bend it in any way that would allow blade chatter). The blades are also sharper and yet somehow generally smoother. They last a lot longer, at least twice as many shaves if not more.

If you want to try an AC razor without going to an open blade, there are a lot of razors that are designed to take AC blades. Take a look at the Colonial General, for one. They originally made it in aluminum; that one was pretty cheap and was an amazing shaver. Then they made it in brass, and later in stainless steel. I tried the brass version but preferred the aluminum one. If I still had it, I would send it to you to try out, but I sold it. Above the Tie makes a razor called the SE1 that is also really nice, but it is not cheap. Probably the cheapest of the "non-open-blade AC razors" is the Razorock Hawk. You can find it at Italianbarber.com.

These don't have a real learning curve. If you can shave with a Bic disposable, you should be able to learn to shave with one of these razors without too much trouble. They are more expensive than the open-blade Mythus, mentioned above, which is a clone of a Japanese razor called the Kai Luffy (no longer being produced).

But AC blades are amazing. There isn't as much variety, but the blades themselves are so good it doesn't matter. My two favorites are the Schick Proline and the Kai Mild PINK. Both outstanding blades. Feather gets all the press, but the two I just mentioned are better than anything Feather makes, in my opinion.

Edited to add that AC blades are wider, meaning that you cut more stubble with each stroke. If you are used to shaving with a DE blade, this requires a tiny bit of adjustment, but in general is a plus.

Been going down the single edge rabbit hole this morning. Between the Schick Injector, shavettes, and some advocating the OneBlade (which uses single edge Feathers), there’s a lot of choice.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 04:48 PM
Been going down the single edge rabbit hole this morning. Between the Schick Injector, shavettes, and some advocating the OneBlade (which uses single edge Feathers), there’s a lot of choice.

Don't get the oneblade. Those blades are terrible, and it won't take any other blade. It works for one shave. You would be lucky to get two shaves out of it.

The Colonial General is the best of the affordable AC razors, imo.

fuse
01-01-2021, 05:25 PM
Don't get the oneblade. Those blades are terrible, and it won't take any other blade. It works for one shave. You would be lucky to get two shaves out of it.

The Colonial General is the best of the affordable AC razors, imo.

The Colonial General looks beautiful.
Its a testament to their quality that they appear all sold out. $185 for the handle and head.

Thanks for the tip on the oneblade; they are having a sale and you can get a starter kit for $20. Figured at that price point might have been worth a try.

fuse
01-01-2021, 05:50 PM

Have you ever used a Kamisori style AC razor?

cspan37421
01-01-2021, 06:03 PM
I just hope I can find a 5- or 10-pack of safety razors to try ... locally just so I don't get crushed (% wise, not absolute $ wise) on shipping. I've seen one can buy 100 for $25 or so shipped, but dang, I think it would take me almost 4 years to use 100 razors (assuming I could get 10 shaves out of each, which apparently is on the optimistic side?!). They might rust before I got through them! Or I might not even like shaving with them after short while. [how long is the learning curve for safety razor?]

The razor handed (up) to me by cspanjr is a Harry's, I think. The handle unscrews from the two top pieces, which just are layered and come apart.

I remember when young my dad had one that opened on the top like double doors. This one doesn't do that.

I don't mind if the safety razor blades costs a bit more than disposables (which I can get around 25 cents per and they really do last 2 weeks easily). I do have a bit of plastic throwaway guilt. Though probably vastly more plastic goes out with toothbrushes, as they're solid handles. And I can think of a lot of other examples worse than razors (1-use plastic bottles for beverages ... that's the low-hanging fruit in plastic pollution). But I want to do what I can, and I like the retro angle (ha ha) of the safety razor. (how does one travel with it though? Take your time in answering, it won't matter for awhile!)

fuse
01-01-2021, 06:23 PM
I just hope I can find a 5- or 10-pack of safety razors to try ... locally just so I don't get crushed (% wise, not absolute $ wise) on shipping. I've seen one can buy 100 for $25 or so shipped, but dang, I think it would take me almost 4 years to use 100 razors (assuming I could get 10 shaves out of each, which apparently is on the optimistic side?!). They might rust before I got through them! Or I might not even like shaving with them after short while. [how long is the learning curve for safety razor?]

The razor handed (up) to me by cspanjr is a Harry's, I think. The handle unscrews from the two top pieces, which just are layered and come apart.

I remember when young my dad had one that opened on the top like double doors. This one doesn't do that.

I don't mind if the safety razor blades costs a bit more than disposables (which I can get around 25 cents per and they really do last 2 weeks easily). I do have a bit of plastic throwaway guilt. Though probably vastly more plastic goes out with toothbrushes, as they're solid handles. And I can think of a lot of other examples worse than razors (1-use plastic bottles for beverages ... that's the low-hanging fruit in plastic pollution). But I want to do what I can, and I like the retro angle (ha ha) of the safety razor. (how does one travel with it though? Take your time in answering, it won't matter for awhile!)

You can’t travel with safety razors.
I don’t travel a ton, I keep a Gillette or Harrys in my dopp kit.

Not limited to just Amazon, you can find places that will ship you blade sample packs for 5 bucks so you can try a few types before finding what you like.

I took the path of the Bics to learn with because they were reputedly cheap and sharp without being aggressive. Moved to Feathers once I was technique confident- they are ****sharp**** and I was not comfortable starting with them.

Rich
01-01-2021, 07:05 PM

That's called a butterfly razor and they still make them, but most have moved away from that style.

Rich
01-01-2021, 07:11 PM

I started out at Shave Nation for my first set of supplies https://shavenation.com/

MChambers
01-01-2021, 07:50 PM

When you renovate the bathroom, they empty the slot. Or so I hope.

weezie
01-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Barf.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 09:06 PM

They don't unless the walls are being completely torn down. The space behind your medicine cabinet would essentially never fill up. You could put ten thousand blades in there, at least.
People tearing down old bathroom walls have come upon uncountable numbers of blades sitting inside the wall.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Have you ever used a Kamisori style AC razor?

Yes. It shaved well. I actually started my open blade shaving journey with a non-folding Feather SS that I had borrowed. After about a month the guy offered to sell it to me for fifty bucks. I should have taken him up on it, but I wanted to try traditional straights so I sent it back.
Fast forward about a year and a half and the folding style was more attractive since it resembled more closely what I had been doing with traditional straights.
The other benefit of the folding razor is that the scales protect the blade and protect others from the blade. If you get a non-folder, you kind of have to purchase a cover for it.

Having said that, some people really like the non-folding style a lot better. On the Feather, the handle feels much softer and a bit more secure to most people. I think the non-folding style may, at least initially, be a bit more intuitive. For people who have used regular straights, the folding style is easier and feels more natural.

This is a minor point, and I know that a lot of people call the non-folding version a kamisori, but a traditional Japanese kamisori has an asymmetrical blade. Technically, therefore, the Feather SS non-folding razor is not really a kamisori.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 09:19 PM

You are looking for blades, not razors. Razors are the devices into which you put the blades.
The type of razor you have is called a three-piece razor. It is the most common type, mostly because it is easier to manufacture than a butterfly razor.
You could just go to CVS and buy a five pack if you want, but I would strongly advise you to go to a website like tryablade and order a sample pack. In the long run it will save you a ton of trouble.

cspan37421
01-01-2021, 10:25 PM
I took the path of the Bics to learn with because they were reputedly cheap and sharp without being aggressive. Moved to Feathers once I was technique confident- they are ****sharp**** and I was not comfortable starting with them.

By Bics you mean double edged safety razor blades, right? I saw Bics of this type on tryablade. I'm new to this world and til this point, Bics meant to me a single-blade disposable razor, sometimes cheaper than store brand double blade disposable razors.

Thanks all - wow there is a lot to learn about here.

Bluedog
01-01-2021, 11:01 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but I use my standard Gillette (three blade) with the blue (or sometimes green) strip for like a month easy (maybe two, I don't keep track that closely) and it doesn't hurt me at all and still gives a close shave. I wait until that edge strip is worn. No fancy shaving creams or aftershaves, just gilette or barbasol sensitive skin shaving cream and shave in the shower. Am I doing something wrong? I probably shave every second or third day (been less in COVID era).

CrazyNotCrazie
01-01-2021, 11:30 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but I use my standard Gillette (three blade) with the blue (or sometimes green) strip for like a month easy (maybe two, I don't keep track that closely) and it doesn't hurt me at all and still gives a close shave. I wait until that edge strip is worn. No fancy shaving creams or aftershaves, just gilette or barbasol sensitive skin shaving cream and shave in the shower. Am I doing something wrong? I probably shave every second or third day (been less in COVID era).

I'm the same. Gillette mach 3 with Gillette shaving cream. I get a close shave, very rare cuts. Like Bluedog, I generally use the blue strip as my guide, though I have been using these razors long enough that I can tell when a razor is becoming dull. Pre-Covid I shaved 5-6 days a week, taking a day or two off on the weekend, and a razor would last about a month (I think they recommend two weeks but they are in the business of selling razors). Now I am on a once every three day cycle - it takes slightly longer to shave but overall I am saving a lot of time in the morning. I grew out a small beard for the first two weeks of Covid in March and had to go get a clipper to get rid of it when I decided I didn't like it (too many splotches of gray!).

That being said, I have found this conversation very interesting and appreciate learning about everyone's experiences. I think I would enjoy a well done blade shave by an expert, but that is not happening for me during these Covid times.

rsvman
01-01-2021, 11:44 PM

If you are happy with your shave then no, you are not doing anything wrong.

I used to shave that way, too. Aveeno gel and a Mach3. Shaved pretty well, but I absolutely hated shaving. My hatred of shaving is what led me down the rabbit hole, eventually landing me on replaceable blade straights. The main difference is that now I love shaving. So I took what was a chore for me and turned it into a meditative time that I really enjoy.

But there is no right or wrong way to shave. You should do what works for you.

fuse
01-02-2021, 12:07 PM
By Bics you mean double edged safety razor blades, right? I saw Bics of this type on tryablade. I'm new to this world and til this point, Bics meant to me a single-blade disposable razor, sometimes cheaper than store brand double blade disposable razors.

Thanks all - wow there is a lot to learn about here.

Yes, the Bic chrome platinum, which comes in an orange-yellow cardboard box of five.

fuse
01-02-2021, 12:15 PM
If you are happy with your shave then no, you are not doing anything wrong.

I used to shave that way, too. Aveeno gel and a Mach3. Shaved pretty well, but I absolutely hated shaving. My hatred of shaving is what led me down the rabbit hole, eventually landing me on replaceable blade straights. The main difference is that now I love shaving. So I took what was a chore for me and turned it into a meditative time that I really enjoy.

But there is no right or wrong way to shave. You should do what works for you.

I wouldn’t say I hated shaving, agree with the rest of the above. It was more an exploration of is there a better way and is that way more cost effective.

Biggest upgrade for me was soap and brush, which I started before I switched from cartridge razors to the double edge blades.

There was a learning curve for me on the double edge blades, so the only other advice I would say is a styptic pencil or some sort of way to stop the bleeding when you nick yourself is a must.
While I wouldn’t say I pressed hard with a cartridge razor, there is little downside if you do.
With a safety razor, no pressure and let the blade do all the work.

My beard is pretty mild so I don’t follow any of the three pass technique or obsess over “baby butt smooth”.

budwom
01-02-2021, 12:48 PM
I'm the same. Gillette mach 3 with Gillette shaving cream. I get a close shave, very rare cuts. Like Bluedog, I generally use the blue strip as my guide, though I have been using these razors long enough that I can tell when a razor is becoming dull. Pre-Covid I shaved 5-6 days a week, taking a day or two off on the weekend, and a razor would last about a month (I think they recommend two weeks but they are in the business of selling razors). Now I am on a once every three day cycle - it takes slightly longer to shave but overall I am saving a lot of time in the morning. I grew out a small beard for the first two weeks of Covid in March and had to go get a clipper to get rid of it when I decided I didn't like it (too many splotches of gray!).

That being said, I have found this conversation very interesting and appreciate learning about everyone's experiences. I think I would enjoy a well done blade shave by an expert, but that is not happening for me during these Covid times.

I've been using the same ancient Sensor razor with Gillette blades for decades now, and I get a lot of good shaves as long as I shave right after I shower...
After retirement I reduced shaving to roughly thrice per week, in the pandemic it's more like once every five days, I definitely have the latter stages Howard Hughes look going on.
Bonus sports points are awarded for anyone who remembers Howard Cosell (on his radio show) hawking shave cream that "softens your beard like a hot steaming towel."

rsvman
01-02-2021, 01:09 PM
I've been using the same ancient Sensor razor with Gillette blades for decades now, and I get a lot of good shaves as long as I shave right after I shower...
After retirement I reduced shaving to roughly thrice per week, in the pandemic it's more like once every five days, I definitely have the latter stages Howard Hughes look going on.
Bonus sports points are awarded for anyone who remembers Howard Cosell (on his radio show) hawking shave cream that "softens your beard like a hot steaming towel."

I think the Sensor is actually a better razor than the Gillette razors that came after it. I actually like the Atra best of all, especially since you can get replacement cartridges called "Vector" off the internet that are much less expensive and actually much smoother than the Gillette-branded, overpriced blades. If i were forced to use a cartridge razor, it would come down to a choice between the Trac II, the Atra, or the Gillette Guard, which is a single-bladed cartridge razor that Gillette markets for India (but is available online). This is a gentle shaver that only costs about $2 for the handle and about 50 cents for each replacement blade.

My eldest son, who is now 26, has been shaving with the Guard for about 8 years now.

cspan37421
01-02-2021, 05:08 PM
Have ordered some samples (both pre-defined and handpicked) from tryablade. Looking forward to it! The razor I was handed "up" appears to be a Manscaped Plow.

Funny you mention Atra etc. I have an old Atra razor still (nice stainless, good heft), but quit buying the cartridges when they priced them through the roof. I figured Gillette just didn't want to support that razor anymore so they just priced it to fail. Occasionally I'll see a pack of Atra cartridges for sale in the store - usu. about 10 for $20 (that was a lot of years ago, probably more now), and think, who is buying them? They're not worth that ... twin blades and a strip and a pivoting head? Why not just buy a disposable.

When the >2 bladed razors came out, I felt I could see the writing on the wall and future SNL (or MadTV) skits, and I was not disappointed. When I questioned, "why?" I was told, "They last so much longer. I can go a month on a 3-bladed razor." I wonder if anyone still really goes a month. And it's not like they stopped at 3! Anyway, I never moved to them. Basically when Atras prices were jacked, I went generic, then I went disposable. Kept to twin blades usually (once in awhile I did the Bic). Rather liked the Schick Slim Twin, which was slim enough to get to the area immediately under my nose.

Never had a bad shave from any of them that I couldn't fairly attribute to lack of prep (like washing face with warm soapy water first).

wavedukefan70s
01-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Seven days from fusion is all i get.
Just a warning for you.i purchased a epilady for a chistmas present quite a few years ago .it was unwanted .

So i decided to grow my facial hair out enough to try it.i plug this joker in and give it a whirl.

Do not do this .it latched onto my face like a electrical pit bull. I jerked the cord out of the wall .it removed no hair . But did pull my skin into the oscillating springs.
Once i removed it from my face.it went into the trash.
Thank god tbere were no cameras .im sure it would have gone viral.
You cannot get around shaving .

cspan37421
01-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Oh man! You have my sympathies. I recall hearing about such a thing long ago and it may not always be so kind to legs either. I'd think the face would be even more vulnerable.

I just hope to avoid nicks and cuts with my first few safety razor shaves. I can't even fathom going straight razor, makes me way too nervous. Though I've had that done on my neck (the Italian barber I had, mentiond upthread). In the hands of a pro, OK, but dang, I don't think that's a wise tool for a nervous amateur!

rsvman
01-05-2021, 12:24 PM
Oh man! You have my sympathies. I recall hearing about such a thing long ago and it may not always be so kind to legs either. I'd think the face would be even more vulnerable.

I just hope to avoid nicks and cuts with my first few safety razor shaves. I can't even fathom going straight razor, makes me way too nervous. Though I've had that done on my neck (the Italian barber I had, mentiond upthread). In the hands of a pro, OK, but dang, I don't think that's a wise tool for a nervous amateur!
I had another fantastic straight razor shave yesterday evening. :cool:

Good luck with your safety razor adventure! Maintaining the correct angle is half the battle. If you have used pivoting razors all your life it may take some time to get used to it.

If you are nervous about the first shave, my advice would be to learn gradually. Just shave the easy parts of your face with the safety razor for the first few days or a week or whatever. Just a downward pass on both cheeks. It's really easy to do and since the angle doesn't change there's not much to worry about. After you do that for a few days you'll feel more confident with the razor, and you can expand to new areas. The chin and mustache area are probably the hardest, along with the transition from the face to the neck along the jawline. Those could be the areas you save for last in your learning. Don't ever worry about stopping at any point if you feel uncomfortable and finishing the shave with a tool to which you are completely accustomed. There is always the next shave to advance your skills. Just have fun and don't rush it unless it comes easy and you really want to.

Remember, you are likely applying a lot more pressure with your current system than is required for safety razor shaving. A light touch is a good idea. And if your goal for the first few shaves is to make sure you don't get nicked or injured, light touch and a shallow angle are your friends. By shallow angle I mean ride the CAP a lot. Start with the razor straight perpendicular to your face, cap touching the face, and then just tilt the handle down toward the floor a little bit until you can hear the blade cutting. Tilting the handle more towards the floor will increase the likelihood of an unpleasant shave.

construe
01-05-2021, 12:39 PM
This has been a strangely fascinating thread to read, thanks to everyone for sharing. One question that has not been answered is what you do when shaving goes wrong and you nick yourself. Does anyone have a technique to staunch the bleeding on those little cuts, short of walking around with a piece of tissue paper on your face? (And as soon as you try to pull it off, you remove the scab and it starts bleeding all over again...sigh...)

fuse
01-05-2021, 12:44 PM
This has been a strangely fascinating thread to read, thanks to everyone for sharing. One question that has not been answered is what you do when shaving goes wrong and you nick yourself. Does anyone have a technique to staunch the bleeding on those little cuts, short of walking around with a piece of tissue paper on your face? (And as soon as you try to pull it off, you remove the scab and it starts bleeding all over again...sigh...)

A styptic pencil, or Glider styptic balm does the trick.

budwom
01-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Here's a semi relevant factoid from some decades ago, when the Razor Wars were prominent on TV (Gillette, of course, Schick, Wilkerson, several others): when new blades were introduced, they were often better/sharper early on in order to lure in customers, then they backed off the manufacturing specs a bit to keep costs reasonable.

rsvman
01-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Here's a semi relevant factoid from some decades ago, when the Razor Wars were prominent on TV (Gillette, of course, Schick, Wilkerson, several others): when new blades were introduced, they were often better/sharper early on in order to lure in customers, then they backed off the manufacturing specs a bit to keep costs reasonable.

The conspiracy theorists say they make their blades duller when they move to a new system, as a way of luring you into replacing the old one and buying their more expensive cartridges. I don't know if it is true or not, but ot wouldn't surprise me.
Cartridge blades are some of the most marked up, margin-generating items in the world. It reportedly only costs about 7-12 cents to make a Fusion cartridge, but they sell for about four bucks each. That is one of the reasons I switched to safety razors back in 2009.

budwom
01-05-2021, 01:48 PM
The conspiracy theorists say they make their blades duller when they move to a new system, as a way of luring you into replacing the old one and buying their more expensive cartridges. I don't know if it is true or not, but ot wouldn't surprise me.
Cartridge blades are some of the most marked up, margin-generating items in the world. It reportedly only costs about 7-12 cents to make a Fusion cartridge, but they sell for about four bucks each. That is one of the reasons I switched to safety razors back in 2009.

yeah, I hadn't thought about the notion of making blades duller when they want folks to convert, but it was a knowledgeable Wall St. analyst who informed my father of the fact that blades are sharper when first introduced.
Of course now the world is filled with examples of this "it's all about the blades rather than the razors" cost analysis...I say that as I peer at my HP3520 printer which cost $99, but the wee ink cartridges cost $60...

elvis14
01-05-2021, 04:20 PM

I buy the Fusion cartridges on Amazon. I might go through 5 a year. I'm always shocked when I run out of blades because once I buy a 10 pack it's about 2 years of just grabbing one when it starts to feel wrong. Note, I'm not arguing for the Fusion, if your beard is such that you can't use the cartridge very long, it's surely not cost effective. For me, at the rate I go through them, it's not cost prohibitive and they work well for me. I've used other cartridges and disposables in the past, the Fusion just works better for me. Some of you all also seem to be much more informed than I WRT to shaving tools and much braver!

rsvman
01-05-2021, 05:37 PM
I buy the Fusion cartridges on Amazon. I might go through 5 a year. I'm always shocked when I run out of blades because once I buy a 10 pack it's about 2 years of just grabbing one when it starts to feel wrong. Note, I'm not arguing for the Fusion, if your beard is such that you can't use the cartridge very long, it's surely not cost effective. For me, at the rate I go through them, it's not cost prohibitive and they work well for me. I've used other cartridges and disposables in the past, the Fusion just works better for me. Some of you all also seem to be much more informed than I WRT to shaving tools and much braver!

I could never get more than a week from one of those things.

budwom
01-07-2021, 08:26 AM

I think the shaving wars lost me when they jumped from two blades per cartridge to three...seemed gratuitous.

camion
01-07-2021, 09:18 AM
I think the shaving wars lost me when they jumped from two blades per cartridge to three...seemed gratuitous.

I take it you haven't tried the Spishak Mach 20 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAZnGeBcgg).

cspan37421
01-07-2021, 10:07 AM

For months or years I resisted triple blade razors. Then one fellow told me that he could shave for a whole month on one, so he actually got twice the use out of them, and therefore that justified the price. I was about to yield ... when ad campaigns started telling me to forget about 3 blades, you really need 4! I felt that I figured out the game at that point, and didn't like where it was going. [that said I snagged a Mach 3 or similar from my son's supply to try. It did fine, but not in a price-justified way, IMO].

I'd say yesterday was a close shave, wouldn't you?

Rich
01-07-2021, 11:31 AM
I had another fantastic straight razor shave yesterday evening. :cool:

Good luck with your safety razor adventure! Maintaining the correct angle is half the battle. If you have used pivoting razors all your life it may take some time to get used to it.

If you are nervous about the first shave, my advice would be to learn gradually. Just shave the easy parts of your face with the safety razor for the first few days or a week or whatever. Just a downward pass on both cheeks. It's really easy to do and since the angle doesn't change there's not much to worry about. After you do that for a few days you'll feel more confident with the razor, and you can expand to new areas. The chin and mustache area are probably the hardest, along with the transition from the face to the neck along the jawline. Those could be the areas you save for last in your learning. Don't ever worry about stopping at any point if you feel uncomfortable and finishing the shave with a tool to which you are completely accustomed. There is always the next shave to advance your skills. Just have fun and don't rush it unless it comes easy and you really want to.

Remember, you are likely applying a lot more pressure with your current system than is required for safety razor shaving. A light touch is a good idea. And if your goal for the first few shaves is to make sure you don't get nicked or injured, light touch and a shallow angle are your friends. By shallow angle I mean ride the CAP a lot. Start with the razor straight perpendicular to your face, cap touching the face, and then just tilt the handle down toward the floor a little bit until you can hear the blade cutting. Tilting the handle more towards the floor will increase the likelihood of an unpleasant shave.

I would recommend watching some shaving videos. They really help to understand how to do it. The experts recommend a 30 degree angle, but I agree with rsvman to start slowly, and still expect more nicks than with a cartridge. Good luck!

Rich
01-07-2021, 12:03 PM
I would recommend watching some shaving videos. They really help to understand how to do it. The experts recommend a 30 degree angle, but I agree with rsvman to start slowly, and still expect more nicks than with a cartridge. Good luck!

This is how I learned. Geofatboy's videos are great. Just keep in mind that everyone's beard is different and you have to tailor your shave accordingly. For instance, when I started, I went against the grain first like I would do with a cartridge and my skin was getting very irritated so I had to switch and go with the grain first. He recommends three passes, but I only do two. And fuse mentioned he only does a single pass. So these videos are super helpful, but you have to find the best way that works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfbodOtO5x0

TruBlu
01-07-2021, 12:18 PM
The main thing to remember about shaving, is that once a razor blade tastes blood, it must be put down. It will just keep coming back for more.

budwom
01-07-2021, 01:19 PM
I take it you haven't tried the Spishak Mach 20 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAZnGeBcgg).

that's funny....yeah, once we got past two blades, I figured I could never stay current, gotta have the latest seven blade system...

rsvman
01-07-2021, 04:31 PM
This is how I learned. Geofatboy's videos are great. Just keep in mind that everyone's beard is different and you have to tailor your shave accordingly. For instance, when I started, I went against the grain first like I would do with a cartridge and my skin was getting very irritated so I had to switch and go with the grain first. He recommends three passes, but I only do two. And fuse mentioned he only does a single pass. So these videos are super helpful, but you have to find the best way that works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfbodOtO5x0

The problem with using Geofatboy’s videos is that he shaves at an extremely steep angle, one that won’t work for the vast majority of shavers. I would recommend the Shave Tutor instead. They are old videos, but the instruction within them is still good, and the demonstrations are much more helpful because he uses a conventional angle.

elvis14
01-07-2021, 09:20 PM

Yeah, if I went through them at that rate there's no way I'd be using expensive cartridges. With covid and me working from home I'm down to shaving 1 or 2 times a week. At this rate I might have a few years worth in the bathroom drawer! :-)

CameronBlue
01-07-2021, 09:39 PM
I have multiple razors. For some areas of the body, safety is paramount. For other areas, standards more befitting a Friday the 13th sequel will do.

bundabergdevil
01-07-2021, 09:45 PM
I abide by occam's razor. Blade's should not be multiplied without necessity (looking at you Mach 3). Put another way: the simplest shave is usually the right one.

budwom
01-08-2021, 08:58 AM
I abide by occam's razor. Blade's should not be multiplied without necessity (looking at you Mach 3). Put another way: the simplest shave is usually the right one.

Retirement is a great shaving aid as well...I use my two blade Sensor about twice a week (or if I have to go out, which I rarely do now, of course) so a ten pack of overpriced blades easily lasts me more than a year.

It's no wonder that cheaper (less hideously overpriced?) blades are hitting the market, just as the eyeglass cartel spawned much cheaper alternatives like Eye Buy Direct, Warby Parker, etc.

cspan37421
01-21-2021, 02:04 PM

Sporking tool has disappeared on this thread but I agree with this sentiment!

That said, I binned my most recent twin blade disposable (after finishing its reasonable service life) and just completed my first safety razor shave. 3-piece razor, Bic platinum blade, canned foam (sorry, I had just started one and I'm not a quitter! :D )

Shave completed with no cuts, but boy oh boy, was I a bit nervous! A significantly different blade feel on the face. I wonder how much of it is that the blade is exposed all the way across its length, whereas with the disposable safety razor, the housing covers the ends of the blade, such that one could infer that the sides act as sort of a blade guard. In any case, I got through it, 2 passes (down, up), very light to light pressure. Not perfect, but I'll leave efforts at perfection for a later time when I'm more comfortable with the angle and pressure tolerances. Chin was the trickiest thing, and adam's apple the next most (both areas of imperfection, whisker-wise!).

Sure hope to get used to it, but the initial nerves really had me wondering if I was "cut out" for this method.

Whew!

OldPhiKap
01-21-2021, 02:50 PM
Why not just use Occam’s razor?

That seems the simplest solution after all.

elvis14
01-21-2021, 03:13 PM

That said, I binned my most recent twin blade disposable (after finishing its reasonable service life) and just completed my first safety razor shave. 3-piece razor, Bic platinum blade, canned foam (sorry, I had just started one and I'm not a quitter! :D )

Shave completed with no cuts, but boy oh boy, was I a bit nervous! A significantly different blade feel on the face. I wonder how much of it is that the blade is exposed all the way across its length, whereas with the disposable safety razor, the housing covers the ends of the blade, such that one could infer that the sides act as sort of a blade guard. In any case, I got through it, 2 passes (down, up), very light to light pressure. Not perfect, but I'll leave efforts at perfection for a later time when I'm more comfortable with the angle and pressure tolerances. Chin was the trickiest thing, and adam's apple the next most (both areas of imperfection, whisker-wise!).

Sure hope to get used to it, but the initial nerves really had me wondering if I was "cut out" for this method.

Whew!

OK, I have to admit, read this and think "ah nope, no thanks, no thank you, I'll pass, back to safety" :D

rsvman
01-21-2021, 03:34 PM

Whew!

It gets better and better with repetition and development of new muscle memory. Maintaining the optimum angle is the hardest part of the adjustment. There will come a time when the feeling on your face will be so much better than a cartridge razor you will wonder why you ever used them.

Rich
01-22-2021, 08:14 AM

Whew!

Don't be afraid to move skin to get at tricky areas, such as the adam's apple. You can probably shave all of the skin that covers that area without actually going over it directly. And it does get easier. I have a cleft chin which was a nightmare at first, but is no longer a problem and I literally have to run the blade perpendicular to my face to get inside there. Practice, practice, practice and it will get easier and you'll feel less anxious with each pass. Keep the updates coming!

jimmymax
01-22-2021, 07:12 PM
Frankly I'm shocked that folks are still shaving. Pandemic aside, have you not see the pro athletes we aspire to be? None of them shave anymore. Also, sell your couture stocks as K has thrown in the towel on the game day suit and tie. Could that be the problem with this year's team?

cspan37421
01-26-2021, 10:18 AM
Don't be afraid to move skin to get at tricky areas, such as the adam's apple. You can probably shave all of the skin that covers that area without actually going over it directly. And it does get easier. I have a cleft chin which was a nightmare at first, but is no longer a problem and I literally have to run the blade perpendicular to my face to get inside there. Practice, practice, practice and it will get easier and you'll feel less anxious with each pass. Keep the updates coming!

Yeah, I have dimpled, well maybe cleft, chin too.

I'm shaving less, perhaps in part because of a closer shave, but also because I am a little hesitant to shave with too little growth - my skin tends to get irritated with too-frequent shaves, esp. close ones.

Not sure what the norm on # of shaves per 2-sided blade is, but I've done 3 total shaves (using just 1 side each), and I don't get the feeling I'll get 10 shaves out of this blade. It pulls a bit at times already, which is earlier than I'm used to. This despite the fact that I'm more and more comfortable applying a little pressure to the shave stroke.

The other thing I've noticed is that it apparently really clears the foam off the face, such that I have to reapply for the second phase (up) part of it. It could be the foam itself (store was out of my usual fav, which might leave more lubrication on the skin), IDK. I'm using more foam, I know that. Oh, I guess another difference is that those 2-bladed disposables often have a lubricating strip. That's probably the real reason I don't have to add more foam to my face for additional strokes.

The 3-pc razor itself is a zinc alloy head and brass handle. The paint is chipping off from the "cowcatcher" part of the head - IIRC zinc alloy is just rust resistant, not rustproof. Hopefully a shake and air dry suffices.

rsvman
01-26-2021, 11:07 AM
The 'cowcatcher' part is called the safety bar. The flaking you are seeing is probably just involving the outer dark coating. The razor is probably chromed below that. If it is, the flaking will only be a cosmetic problem. Zamac itself will definitely rot with exposure to water in the event that there is no coating below the black stuff.

You can do whatever you want, but most people who shave with double edge razors use both sides of the razor equally throughout each shave. Thus is done by shaving with one side until it is filled up with lather, then turning the razor over and shavung with the other side until it is filled. After that you rinse and then do the same thing again. Thus leads to equal wear and dulling of each side of the blade.

It is not uncommon to only get three of four shaves from a double edge blade. Rinsing and drying the blade completely will increase its life, but since blades only cost about 15-20 cents apiece, you can just replace the blade when it tugs.

It is common for these razors to completely clear the lather with each stroke, and it is generally recommended never to shave over skin that does nlt have lather on it. In other words, everybody relathers before doing more shaving. Y may or may not have heard thus, but another principle is that the goal of each shaving 'pass' is beard reduction, not beard elimination. Most people do at least two passes. Keep a light touch and don't expect a clean shave with one pass. Rinse, relather,and do a light second pass inma slightly different direction. Most prefer to go with the grain on the first pass and then across the grain on the second. This should get you a smooth, comfortable shave. Over time you can do this without irritation.

Patience, grasshopper. You will get better and better with repetition.

Rich
01-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I have dimpled, well maybe cleft, chin too.

I'm shaving less, perhaps in part because of a closer shave, but also because I am a little hesitant to shave with too little growth - my skin tends to get irritated with too-frequent shaves, esp. close ones.

Not sure what the norm on # of shaves per 2-sided blade is, but I've done 3 total shaves (using just 1 side each), and I don't get the feeling I'll get 10 shaves out of this blade. It pulls a bit at times already, which is earlier than I'm used to. This despite the fact that I'm more and more comfortable applying a little pressure to the shave stroke.

The other thing I've noticed is that it apparently really clears the foam off the face, such that I have to reapply for the second phase (up) part of it. It could be the foam itself (store was out of my usual fav, which might leave more lubrication on the skin), IDK. I'm using more foam, I know that. Oh, I guess another difference is that those 2-bladed disposables often have a lubricating strip. That's probably the real reason I don't have to add more foam to my face for additional strokes.

The 3-pc razor itself is a zinc alloy head and brass handle. The paint is chipping off from the "cowcatcher" part of the head - IIRC zinc alloy is just rust resistant, not rustproof. Hopefully a shake and air dry suffices.

The 'cowcatcher' part is called the safety bar. The flaking you are seeing is probably just involving the outer dark coating. The razor is probably chromed below that. If it is, the flaking will only be a cosmetic problem. Zamac itself will definitely rot with exposure to water in the event that there is no coating below the black stuff.

You can do whatever you want, but most people who shave with double edge razors use both sides of the razor equally throughout each shave. Thus is done by shaving with one side until it is filled up with lather, then turning the razor over and shavung with the other side until it is filled. After that you rinse and then do the same thing again. Thus leads to equal wear and dulling of each side of the blade.

It is not uncommon to only get three of four shaves from a double edge blade. Rinsing and drying the blade completely will increase its life, but since blades only cost about 15-20 cents apiece, you can just replace the blade when it tugs.

It is common for these razors to completely clear the lather with each stroke, and it is generally recommended never to shave over skin that does nlt have lather on it. In other words, everybody relathers before doing more shaving. Y may or may not have heard thus, but another principle is that the goal of each shaving 'pass' is beard reduction, not beard elimination. Most people do at least two passes. Keep a light touch and don't expect a clean shave with one pass. Rinse, relather,and do a light second pass inma slightly different direction. Most prefer to go with the grain on the first pass and then across the grain on the second. This should get you a smooth, comfortable shave. Over time you can do this without irritation.

Patience, grasshopper. You will get better and better with repetition.

I agree with everything rsvman wrote, but I could easily get one week's worth of good shaves from a quality double edge blade (making sure to dry the blade and the razor after each use) and then I would simply replace on Sunday without waiting for the tugging and nicking. I've had my face professionally shaved and was told my facial hair is quite coarse.

https://youtu.be/gbNCBVzPYak

cspan37421
02-24-2021, 12:43 PM
Just a quick update ... I am appreciating shaving with a DE safety razor more and more. So far I've just been through 3 of the many blades I ordered from tryablade: a Greek Bic, a Canadian Shaverboy (love the icon), and a USA Rockwell. Sadly the latter has been the least impressive, though I did stretch it out to 2 weeks (about 10 shaves). But it was a notch below the other two from the start. Today I started on an Indian-made Wilkinson Sword blade, apparently by Gillette.

rsvman and Rich's comments upthread have proved accurate in terms of how my experience has played out. I'm less nervous, more confident in applying the right pressure and angle. A good DE shave is really quite close, and I can see how, if you can accomplish that without nicks, would discourage a return to cartridge or disposable razors.

Lather-wise, I generally am going through my can of Barbasol (and I have a travel-sized one that, unsurprisingly, has not gotten use over the last year), but I have experimented with household soaps. [Can't find Williams pucks anymore and I'm not the kind to spend much on skin potions and creams. Just what is necessary, no more.] The soaps are used with DS's orphaned Proraso brush, which seems undersized compared to the one I had in HS. It also loses 2-3 bristles per shave. Am debating a full-size synthetic brush, as a good badger or even boar one isn't available locally (as best I can tell) and would thus require an online order. Some soaps are slicker than others, and re-lathering isn't always necessary with them. Though good anyway. Bottom line: equally good results with soap. Just keep it wet, and rinse well.

Any tips on how to recycle the old blades? I saw two suggestions but they don't seem quite fully considered. One is to get an Altoids tin and put them in there. But that could pop open and maybe that's not cool with those who deal with the recycling bins. Nor would taping it shut and labeling it. The other is really odd to me: cut a slit in a steel can and drop them in there. OK, but how do you really get the soup or whatever out of there? How would you clean it before using it for such a collection can? Right now I have just re-wrapped the old blades and they're set off to the side of my sink.

construe
05-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought I'd ask this of any parents of teen boys. My boys are entering their "shaving years"...what do folks recommend I start them off with? I started off many decades ago just using simple double-bladed safety razors and regular gel/foam. Mostly I remember how painful my skin felt afterwards! (Those days of smooth, sensitive skin are long gone now, ha ha...)

What would be the easiest and most painless approach for beginning shavers these days? Should I look into electric razors? Thanks!

budwom
05-13-2021, 01:16 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought I'd ask this of any parents of teen boys. My boys are entering their "shaving years"...what do folks recommend I start them off with? I started off many decades ago just using simple double-bladed safety razors and regular gel/foam. Mostly I remember how painful my skin felt afterwards! (Those days of smooth, sensitive skin are long gone now, ha ha...)

What would be the easiest and most painless approach for beginning shavers these days? Should I look into electric razors? Thanks!

I know some dermatologists who advise against electrics, too much back and forth action on the skin...

BigWayne
05-13-2021, 01:56 PM
I know some dermatologists who advise against electrics, too much back and forth action on the skin...

Yep, got to warn the teens about the dangers of too much back and forth action.

Phredd3
05-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Yep, got to warn the teens about the dangers of too much back and forth action.

Well, if it's just on the skin it might not be too problematic.

Rich
05-14-2021, 08:56 AM

I started my son, now 18, on the Gillette Mach 3. The razor and blades are less expensive than the 5 blade systems, but still easy to find in Walgreens or CVS. The smaller head is easier to use for a novice and the razor has a nice weight. I tried to get him to use gel, but he preferred the old fashioned Gillette foam in the black/red can. He seems happy with this system and is still using it. It does what it needs since he only shaves a few times a week, if that. I too would avoid putting your son on an electric razor at this stage.

cspan37421
05-14-2021, 08:59 AM

IMO, say no to electric razors ... they may seem beginner friendly and less scary, but they in my experience they don't shave as well, and they irritate the skin more.

Bic single-blade disposable or any double blade disposable (Schick's Slim Twin is very good; Wilkinson Sword is too). Pivoting head helps but isn't strictly necessary.
IMO shaving foam from gel isn't good; it is hard to fully rinse off the blade. Barbasol foam in a can is fine. Gillette Foamy probably is too. The generics of them (like at Walmart) are IMO/IME significantly inferior and the last one I got (when they were out of Barbasol) was quite poor. [BTW, after trying all the specialty varieties of Barbasol, I came to the surprising conclusion that my favorite is their Regular, in the red/white stripe design].

One key to reducing razor burn is to shave after a shower that will soften the stubble; or at least wash the face first with warm soapy water before applying foam. Some say go with cold water ... but the bottom line is, scrub that face with soapy water first, then rinse, then apply shaving foam or mug soap or cream.

Having recently taken my first out of state trip since Covid began, I packed a disposable twin razor with which to shave - after 4 months or so on a safety razor (the kind where you change out the blades themselves). Wow, what a difference in feel. The light plastic disposable required significantly more pressure to shave closely. It otherwise practically bounced off my face. The heavy safety razor applied the right pressure almost entirely just from its own weight. But although it was a totally different and startling feel, it really did shave just fine after a couple passes. The safety razor does get closer, but those disposables get plenty close enough. It's just a different feel and technique.

rsvman
05-14-2021, 09:36 AM

Electrics are terrible.

This is really easy. This one decision could save them thousands of dollars and lots of irritation over the years.

Get them a razor called the Gillette Guard. Gillette makes it for the Indian subcontinent. It is a really sweet shaving little razor that, in my opinion, is far superior to anything they are marketing and selling elsewhere. One blade. Sharp and smooth. Dirt cheap. Google it. The razor itself is about $1-2. Replacement cartridges are maybe 50-75 cents each. Seriously at these prices it shaves better than the Fusion and better than the Mach 3.

The razor itself is a flimsy plastic, blt who cares? If it wears out, buy a new one! Or buy several up front.

It provides a really comfortable shave. It pivots, so it is dead easy to use, even for beginners. It never clogs, and it rinses easily. Much less irritation because it is only one blade.

You can thank me later.

rsvman
05-14-2021, 09:39 AM
Oh, as for lather, I agree with cspan that the foams are fine. I find them a little dry. They work much better if you just add a few drops of water when you are applying them.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-14-2021, 10:39 AM
I started my son, now 18, on the Gillette Mach 3. The razor and blades are less expensive than the 5 blade systems, but still easy to find in Walgreens or CVS. The smaller head is easier to use for a novice and the razor has a nice weight. I tried to get him to use gel, but he preferred the old fashioned Gillette foam in the black/red can. He seems happy with this system and is still using it. It does what it needs since he only shaves a few times a week, if that. I too would avoid putting your son on an electric razor at this stage.

I am in my 40s and do exactly what your son does (Mach 3 with the same foam) - pre-Covid I shaved daily and it was fine for me. During Covid I am shaving every 2nd or 3rd day. I almost always shave right after a warm shower which I think helps. I have been doing this for 20+ years and it works so my feeling is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though I find everyone else's thoughts very interesting so thanks for sharing.

construe
05-14-2021, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! rsvman, I found a Gillette SkinGuard razor on Amazon, but it has two blades. Still, sounds like it would be good for someone with very little facial hair whose main goal is to avoid cutting up their face!

You all also now have me thinking about gel vs foam. I've used Aveeno gel for many years and am happy with it...but cspan* makes an interesting point that maybe it doesn't rinse out well. (This is always an issue for me, as our bathroom sink has poor water pressure). Is there really a difference between foams/gels for which gets out easiest from between the blades?

rsvman
05-14-2021, 11:58 AM
It's called the Guard, not the skin guard. Check for it on ebay or better yet at Maggard Razors.

It shaves at least as well as the SkinGuard, and it costs a LOT less. Over time the savings becoming rather eye opening. Just as easy to use, too. Take a look at in on Maggard Razors. They are a trusted source of shaving equipment.

rsvman
05-14-2021, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! rsvman, I found a Gillette SkinGuard razor on Amazon, but it has two blades. Still, sounds like it would be good for someone with very little facial hair whose main goal is to avoid cutting up their face!

You all also now have me thinking about gel vs foam. I've used Aveeno gel for many years and am happy with it...but cspan* makes an interesting point that maybe it doesn't rinse out well. (This is always an issue for me, as our bathroom sink has poor water pressure). Is there really a difference between foams/gels for which gets out easiest from between the blades?

The problem is solved by using a razor that only has one blade. If you insist on using more than one blade, no question that foams/lathers rinse away easier.

cspan37421
05-14-2021, 12:28 PM

In my experience, yes, but that experience has always been (as best I recall) with Edge, not Aveeno gel. I'd also say foam rinses better from single blades as well, but between double blades, it's a real challenge. I think only a Water Pik would make quick work of it.

As for adding drops of water to foam ... I'll try that, though it may be worth pointing out that I apply the foam to a wet face, so I'm not sure it will make a ton of difference. My last bad experience with house-brand foam was that the stuff came out way too wet, as if I was near the end of the can rather than at the beginning. I'm not sure what happened there. With prior cans of such, my beef was with the quality of the foam (more meringue-y, less creamy). Good ol' regular Barbasol just feels like the best to me. If it was warm, I'd not be able to tell the difference between that and the stuff I used to enjoy having applied at the barber shop.

I can't deny, the fancy creams like Proraso are nice, but too pricey for the marginal improvement in face slickness.

rsvman
05-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Bear in mind that I shaved this morning with a replaceable blade straight razor using a lather I generated from a shaving soap using a brush...... so to me foam versus gel is kind of bad versus worse.
There are other options, like non lathering gels such as the ones made by King of Shaves and shave oils like shave secret, that also work well.

cspan37421
09-07-2021, 02:54 PM
Just a quick update

I've been able to adapt to the the safety razor so well that getting 2 weeks worth of shaves (10-14) out of a DE blade is quite doable. That was my old standard when I used disposable twins. The last shave is, of course, not the same quality as the first, but that was the case with the twin disposables as well. Bottom line is, I don't find that these safety razor blades have to be changed more frequently than twin blades razors or cartridges, despite what I've seen on some forums.

Best of all, I've only nicked myself once, and it was actually minor compared to nicks I'd get with a disposable twin. That is to say, I nick myself less, and less significantly, with the safety razor. I wasn't expecting that at all. Surprised and very happy.

Now, I still have to be really careful handling the blades! There's no getting around that. I am putting the old ones in an Altoids tin and someday will take it to metal recycling. It appears those things can hold a LOT of them.

For the holiday season I might ask for something beyond this "starter razor", though it's doing fine. The ones I had in mind were:

Merkur 34C
Merkur 23C
Edwin Jagger
Parker 99R

Any feedback on those? Thanks.

Rich
09-08-2021, 10:12 AM
Just a quick update

I've been able to adapt to the the safety razor so well that getting 2 weeks worth of shaves (10-14) out of a DE blade is quite doable. That was my old standard when I used disposable twins. The last shave is, of course, not the same quality as the first, but that was the case with the twin disposables as well. Bottom line is, I don't find that these safety razor blades have to be changed more frequently than twin blades razors or cartridges, despite what I've seen on some forums.

Best of all, I've only nicked myself once, and it was actually minor compared to nicks I'd get with a disposable twin. That is to say, I nick myself less, and less significantly, with the safety razor. I wasn't expecting that at all. Surprised and very happy.

Now, I still have to be really careful handling the blades! There's no getting around that. I am putting the old ones in an Altoids tin and someday will take it to metal recycling. It appears those things can hold a LOT of them.

For the holiday season I might ask for something beyond this "starter razor", though it's doing fine. The ones I had in mind were:

Merkur 34C
Merkur 23C
Edwin Jagger
Parker 99R

I love the weight and feel of the Edwin Jagger DE89. Been using it since I started shaving with a safety razor. It's considered a "starter" razor but I never felt the need to move on from there.

rsvman
09-08-2021, 10:15 AM
Just a quick update

Merkur 34C
Merkur 23C
Edwin Jagger
Parker 99R

PM me. So many much better choices than these are available. For starters, I would recommend looked at italianbarber.com for the RazoRock-branded razors. Something like the Game Changer 0.68 would be so much better than any of the razors you have listed. Game Changer is CNC-milled from 100% stainless steel. All the razors on your list are chromed Zamac. If the chrome gets a little ding and water gets beneath it, the entire head can corrode. If you accidentally drop the razor the threads can snap right off.

I'd be happy to discuss other options via PM if you would like, because to a certain extent it depends on what it is you want from a razor, but I can't recommend the RazoRock razors highly enough. There is nothing anywhere near as good as these in CNC-milled stainless steel for anywhere near the prices they charge. Very, very good "bang-for-the-buck."