PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3

OZZIE4DUKE
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Somewhere I read, here I thought, that SP3 for XP should be avoided. My laptop wants to install it. Comments or thoughts from my experts here?

riverside6
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
I just installed it yesterday, and other than a few visual things there was a couple things that I've found that bugged me.

1. If you use the address toolbar on the start menu, it is no longer an option. Although, I found a suitable replacement (search for muvenum).

2. For certain programs, Microsoft now prompts you to designate to unblock it (at least for the first time you try to access it after installing the SP). As an example, Skype & iTunes were two programs I had to unblock. Not sure the details for this.

Truth
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Somewhere I read, here I thought, that SP3 for XP should be avoided. My laptop wants to install it. Comments or thoughts from my experts here?
Install it. My experience dictates that you should only avoid Service Packs if you have highly customized configurations or unique applications. If you're an "average user" with common applications, you won't have much to worry about. Not to mention, the added security fixes alone are worth the upgrade.

2. For certain programs, Microsoft now prompts you to designate to unblock it (at least for the first time you try to access it after installing the SP). As an example, Skype & iTunes were two programs I had to unblock. Not sure the details for this.

Microsoft is pushing XP a bit towards their Vista model where the PC prompts users to accept certain behaviors prior to permitting them. This is more philosophical debate really... is it better to prompt the user (and risk the average user becoming completely complacent and ignoring every prompt) or simply allow the program to run? At least if the user is prompted, he or she has to authorize the execution. In theory, this should result in a more secure computing environment.