PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else have this problem on the forums...

bjornolf
07-12-2008, 07:37 AM
It seems like I have to re-log in several times a day. Even if I stay on the site with the window open, I have to re-log in. If I start a post, I have to log in. If it takes me longer than five minutes to type the post, I often have to re-log in to post it. If I switch windows in the middle to check a fact or a spelling question, I have to re-log in to post it. Anyway, is there some setting I can change or something so that I only have to re-log in every few hours or something? This really does drive me nuts. I love the site, don't get me wrong, so it's not a deal breaker or anything. I just thought I'd ask so I could remove this minor annoyance. Thanks. :rolleyes:

-jk
07-12-2008, 08:58 AM
First, when you log in, make sure you check the box to stay logged in.

Also, make sure you accept cookies from DBR. Your browser won't be able to remember your logged-in status without them. Browsers have cookie settings, as well as internet security programs such as McAfee, Norton/Symantec, etc.

-jk

bjornolf
07-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey, thanks. Stupid question. I don't see a box to stay logged in. Where is it? Do you mean the "remember me" box?

Also, how come I stay logged in to sites like gamefaqs, consumerreports, ebay, amazon, and gameinformer for a full 24 hours, but not DBR? As far as I know, I don't have any different settings for those. Anyway, like I said, thanks. I'll try to see if I can fix it.

-jk
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't speak to other sites. The remember me checkbox and cookies are how the vBulletin software we use maintains your status.

-jk

merry
07-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I have had the same problem from time to time. In fact if I am writing a post that is at all long I copy the text before I hit the submit reply button so I won't lose it. Even if the screen says "Welcome, merry" sometimes when I hit submit reply it says I'm not logged in and after I log in the post I was composing is gone.

TillyGalore
07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
This my second attempt to post here, was interrupted by spyware, which I don't even have, trying to clean up my system, even though I already have protections on my computer.

Anyhoo. I have problems with logging on, which jk has tried to help me with, but we've never found a solution. All of a sudden DBR stopped remembering me. If I type a capital "T" in the username field, then TillyGalore and my password are automatically filled in and I can log on. I have been knocked off a couple times, but never during a post. Well, not yet anyway.

Ironically, this only happens at home. I never have problems at work. Go figure.

bjornolf
07-12-2008, 06:40 PM
hey, thanks all, and especially jk. I hit the remember me box, and I'm still logged in several hours later. It's never lasted more than about 1/2 hour before. I thought the remember me just helped me fill in my username/password. I didn't know it helped KEEP me logged on! Thanks!

Jarhead
07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Strange, but I never see the log in screen.

-jk
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Strange, but I never see the log in screen.

If you check the remember me box, you won't. Of course, anyone with access to your machine can post as you when you stay permanently logged in.

We have a few people who share computers and occasionally mis-post as the other.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
07-13-2008, 09:43 AM
We have a few people who share computers and occasionally mis-post as the other.

-jk

Sometimes I wonder if our PW's use this method to boost their post totals!

Jarhead
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
If you check the remember me box, you won't. Of course, anyone with access to your machine can post as you when you stay permanently logged in.

-jk
Yeah, I've noticed. My computer is used only by me, so not to worry.