PDA

View Full Version : Bilas says Redick #4 Three Point Shooter All-Time

BlueintheFace
07-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Jay Bilas gave a list of the best three point shooters of all time 1-25:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=3476589

1) Dennis Scott
2) Steve Kerr
3) Reggie Miller
4) JJ Redick
5) Kyle Korver
18) Stephen Curry

rthomas
07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
What about Stephen Curry's dad?

CameronCrazy'11
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Does he mean just for college or does he not specify?

Uncle Drew
07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Does he mean just for college or does he not specify?

I don't care which he means, I don't agree with his rankings. He's obviously including NBA, Chris Mullin didn't have a college 3 point line did he? Scott was good in college, I'll give him his props. But based on 3's alone IN COLLEGE he wasn't better than JJ. I'm not sure based on 3's alone Langdon wasn't better. I'm sure some old timers can name guys that could nail it from way down town in college before there was a three point line. Terry Gannon comes to my mind.

rthomas
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't care which he means, I don't agree with his rankings. He's obviously including NBA, Chris Mullin didn't have a college 3 point line did he? Scott was good in college, I'll give him his props. But based on 3's alone IN COLLEGE he wasn't better than JJ. I'm not sure based on 3's alone Langdon wasn't better. I'm sure some old timers can name guys that could nail it from way down town in college before there was a three point line. Terry Gannon comes to my mind.

Neither did Dell Curry (IIRC). I wonder what Jerry West would've done with a three. Rick Barry? Best three point shooter doesn't mean anything since most ball players never had a three point line. The line changes too fequently and between leagues.

Uncle Drew
07-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Neither did Dell Curry (IIRC). I wonder what Jerry West would've done with a three. Rick Barry? Best three point shooter doesn't mean anything since most ball players never had a three point line. The line changes too fequently and between leagues.

And with this years NEW line are future greatest lists going to take that into account?

BTW Your humming bird DIVE comment on the off topic page made me laugh so hard I spewed Mt Dew all over my PC.

gw67
07-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Scott, Miller, Redick, Curry and many others are/were great three-point shooters but the best was Steve Kerr, IMO. Over his NBA career, he shot over 45% from behind the NBA three-point line. Scott and Miller aren't close. Kerr only played one year in college with the three-point line and he made over 57% of his three-point shots.

gw67

Edouble
07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
With Jay Bilas writing the list, I'm suprised that Redick made it into the top five. Kerr was a great 3-point shooter, but c'mon, Redick was the focal point of the offense and faced the craziest junk defenses imaginable. Kerr took cover behind the greatest player of all time. Dennis Scott is #1? Ha ha ha.

bhd28
07-12-2008, 11:57 AM
With Jay Bilas writing the list, I'm suprised that Redick made it into the top five. Kerr was a great 3-point shooter, but c'mon, Redick was the focal point of the offense and faced the craziest junk defenses imaginable. Kerr took cover behind the greatest player of all time. Dennis Scott is #1? Ha ha ha.

And a guy like Curry doesn't face junk defenses designed to stop him?

bludvlman
07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
problem is they have to be taking nba into account even if they say it is only college b/c kerr and miller weren't that great in college def compared to JJ.

JasonEvans
07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Since I was a teen, whenever someone pulled up from long-range for an ill-advised shot we would shout, "GANNON!!"

Sorta sad that people today seem to mostly know him as a figure skating announcer.

-Jason "he, Whitt, and Lowe were a lethal backcourt combo" Evans

bhd28
07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
problem is they have to be taking nba into account even if they say it is only college b/c kerr and miller weren't that great in college def compared to JJ.

He only had the line 1 year, but I would say Kerr's 57% is pretty darn impressive vs. anyone. Remember, this is 3pt shooter, not scorer.

Edouble
07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
And a guy like Curry doesn't face junk defenses designed to stop him?

He sure does, with most of those games being played in the Big South Conference.

I will write to Jay and ask him to move Curry up the list when Curry sets a new NCAA record for most 3 pointers made playing against those junk defenses.

miramar
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
If I remember correctly, the college three point line started during Reggie Millerīs senior year at UCLA. Everyone expected him to take full advantage, but curiously he had trouble shooting threes that year.

darthur
07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Here are his stats: http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/87/miller.htm
He didn't shoot all that many 3's but his percentage of 44% was pretty solid.

bhd28
07-13-2008, 02:40 PM
He sure does, with most of those games being played in the Big South Conference.

I will write to Jay and ask him to move Curry up the list when Curry sets a new NCAA record for most 3 pointers made playing against those junk defenses.
If he leaves early, after this year, does that make him a less effective 3pt shooter? He made more as a freshman than JJ did as a junior and more as a soph than JJ as a senior (by 27). He has a higher percentage. If he goes pro after a similar junior year, but his total # is less, does that really move him down in your book?

Edouble
07-13-2008, 03:04 PM
If he leaves early, after this year, does that make him a less effective 3pt shooter? He made more as a freshman than JJ did as a junior and more as a soph than JJ as a senior (by 27). He has a higher percentage. If he goes pro after a similar junior year, but his total # is less, does that really move him down in your book?

I said Redick was awesome and had to play against junk defenses. I never mentioned Curry, or where I would rate him. Bilas rates him as #18, not me. If you're going to compare the two though, I think Redick played in a better conference and therefore faced more difficult defenses.

If you want to talk about comparing three year players to four year players, that's a whole other can of worms.

BlueintheFace
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM

I think when you say somebody is the best three point shooter ever in college basketball, you have to look at their ENTIRE career. You have to look at the defenses (types and quality) the player sees, the range of the player, the number made (and obviously taken), and most importantly, percentage.

Of course Curry leaving early should hurt his place on the list... its about best three point shooter in college. Guys who didn't have the line for long can't help it, but if you leave early you are just going to have to console yourself on dropping spots on the list (since you have less opportunity to be amazing) with your stupid mansions and millions of dollars... it's a tough life.

I also think guys who didn't have the line for their entire college careers should not be on the list... or at least should have a little * next to the name.

superdave
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM
268 threes after two years...if he stays all four years, he will obliterate Redick's career #.

gofurman
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM

1 It's the Southern Conference.
2 The NCAA Tourney Teams had more trouble with Stephen than with Reddick to be honest... Especially considering he is most ALL of what Davidson has (I am aware of Jason Richardson/PG and the PF)....JJ had Shelden, etc..

I would honestly foresee Stephen having a better NBA career than JJ

BlueintheFace
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I would honestly foresee Stephen having a better NBA career than JJ

irrelevant to the conversation at hand...

bhd28
07-13-2008, 11:31 PM
irrelevant to the conversation at hand...

in your opinion, does level of success in the Tourney (personal and/or team) help or hurt you in this, or is that irrelevant?

jv001
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
I guess Jay never saw Bob Verga play. No 3point shot back then.

yancem
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
He only had the line 1 year, but I would say Kerr's 57% is pretty darn impressive vs. anyone. Remember, this is 3pt shooter, not scorer.

Laettner shot 55.7% from behind the arc his senior year does that make him essentially Kerr's equal as a three point shooter?

hurleyfor3
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
best *clutch* college 3-point shooters ever:

1. bobby hurley
2. mario chalmers
3. dennis scott
4. someone else but not JJ
5. someone else but not JJ
6. trajan langdon
7. jeff capel
8. sean dockery
9. l8nr
10. JJ as long as it's the ACC tournament

BlueintheFace
07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
in your opinion, does level of success in the Tourney (personal and/or team) help or hurt you in this, or is that irrelevant?

Of course it helps...

The reason the NBA is irrelevant to the conversation is because the list is "Best Three-point Shooters in NCAA History". The NBA has nothing to do with NCAA performance.

Edouble
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM

1. bobby hurley
2. mario chalmers
3. dennis scott
6. trajan langdon
7. jeff capel
8. sean dockery
9. l8nr

I'd probably put Jeff Shepard over Chalmers. That guy was unbelievable. Jerry McNamara hit some clutch 3s too, as did our own Jason Williams.

Jeffrey
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM

1. bobby hurley
2. mario chalmers
3. dennis scott
6. trajan langdon
7. jeff capel
8. sean dockery
9. l8nr

Hi,

Capel made your top 10 clutch list? Not mine.

That guy you have listed #9 would be my #1 choice.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

hurleyfor3
07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi,

Capel made your top 10 clutch list? Not mine.

That guy you have listed #9 would be my #1 choice.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

I tried to make it apparent that tongue was at least partially in cheek, but I was not kidding about #1. Note this is ranking only *three-point* clutch shooting. Laettner did hit some clutch threes, but not as many as Hurley did.

Acymetric
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd probably put Jeff Shepard over Chalmers. That guy was unbelievable. Jerry McNamara hit some clutch 3s too, as did our own Jason Williams.

I remember that year (I'm sure he had some before I started watching them in the Big East tourny of course). I'm pretty sure McNamara couldn't do anything BUT hit clutch 3's. He quickly became my favorite non-Duke player (and the Orange my favorite non-Duke team) for the unfortunately brief remainder of their post season.

Spret42
07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I may be "misremembering" here, but I could swear I read that when you compare Dennis Scotts first three years to JJ's first three, in each year Scott took more threes, made more and shot a higher percentage.

There are just to many variables to say who was the "best;" which is of course why these lists are meaningless.

Jeffrey
07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
There are just to many variables to say who was the "best;" which is of course why these lists are meaningless.

Hi,

Meaningless to you maybe, but Jay is making serious green coming up with this stuff. :D

Best regards,
Jeffrey

bhd28
07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Laettner shot 55.7% from behind the arc his senior year does that make him essentially Kerr's equal as a three point shooter?

Well, I was kind of looking at 3's made (Kerr had like 115 or something in the 1 year where it was possible for him to make them... which compares VERY favorably with any year JJ had) first. Then using percentage because that WAS the only year Kerr had. To me, it is a bit harsh to drop him down because he only had one year that can count in college for 3s. (It is kind of like how people try to say that if Hansbrough wins all american again that he will be the best college player of all time because he will be the first 4-time all american... would you put him ahead of guys like Russell, Lew, Walton, and some of the other old guys because they weren't allowed on varsity as freshmen? Not me.)

Back to your question... Laettner had a lifetime college rating of 48.5% with around 80 made, which is pretty impressive, though I wouldn't put it on Kerr's level.

If you are trying to make a point about me overemphasizing %, then, of course, you are free to do that. It makes perfect sense that people on here want JJ to be ahead of Kerr, whether or not he was a better 3pt shooter. He definitely made more in college. Since he doesn't have the NBA career to compare to Kerr, yet, it makes all the more sense to fight for his place in the college ranks. I definitely like JJ more. I also definitely think he was a MUCH better college player than Kerr, I just don't think he was necessarily a better 3pt shooter.

PS. If you think Laettner had a good %, check out the Admiral. Now that is an impressive lifetime 3pt%.

captmojo
07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Jason Williams deserves more consideration for the list.

Randolph Childress was not to be sneezed at, either.

Is there any tarhole who could make said list?