PDA

View Full Version : WRAL's Best Poll - 92 Duke vs. 74 State

OZZIE4DUKE
07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Here's a direct link to the poll page. http://www.wral.com/sports/basketball/ncaa/page/3146908/

It's sort of hidden on their web site under "Sweet 16"

State's killing us so far, with 84% of 3754 votes cast as of a few minutes ago.

Vote early. Vote often!

dkbaseball
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
What are those two teams doing meeting in the round of 16? They should have been seeded 1 and 2. Duke is the only two-years-consecutively national champ in league history, and that State team had been undefeated the year before, but were ineligible for post-season play. And for my money, they may have been the two best teams to play in the league.

rockymtn devil
07-10-2008, 06:58 PM
What are those two teams doing meeting in the round of 16? They should have been seeded 1 and 2. Duke is the only two-years-consecutively national champ in league history, and that State team had been undefeated the year before, but were ineligible for post-season play. And for my money, they may have been the two best teams to play in the league.

I think it's actually the championship round, which makes sense. The whole thing is called "The Sweetest 16", but '92 Duke and '74 State are the last two standing. Could be wrong though.

MIKESJ73
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm not so sure that 73 State would take down 2001 Duke. Sure NCSU went undefeated, but 2001 Duke was a much more athletic team. Battier D on DT's offense would have been interesting, as well as Boozer's Muscle vs. Burleson hieght. Duke's other starters Duhon, JWill (maybe the best on the team), and Dunleavy would have been hard to contain. As for the final, nobody ever beat Leattner in ANY sweet 16!!! Call it something else and you might have an arguement, call it the sweet 16, and Leattner doesn't lose.

SilkyJ
07-10-2008, 07:48 PM
over 6,000 votes and we still strail 84% to 16%...uphill battle...i voted 20 times today.

Newton_14
07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Ok, my votes are in. We are still getting killed.

TwoDukeTattoos
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Duke will lose simply because every State and UNC fan is voting against us, obviously. Still, I placed my share of votes today!

OZZIE4DUKE
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Duke will lose simply because every State and UNC fan is voting against us, obviously. Still, I placed my share of votes today!

16802 votes and we're trailing 90% to 10%.

Vote early, but more importantly vote often!

Slackerb
07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I know it's just a poll, but that '74 State team should win. That team was just incredible and I don't know if we'll see a team dominate like that any time soon.

Some facts: The '74 State team averaged 91.4 PPG, without a 3 point line. They ran through the ACC regular season undefeated for the second season in a row, and their only loss came in the third game of the year against perennial power UCLA (whom they met and beat in the semifinals of the tourney). Going undefeated in the ACC was no easy task, and I think Maryland was ranked 2nd in the nation at the time (they beat them 3 times that year....and they had to beat them in the ACC championship game to go to the Dance). They had the AP National and ACC Coach of the Year, the consensus AP National and ACC Player of the Year (and the best player in ACC history, IMO). They played the greatest college game ever played.

In a two year stretch, that team went 57-1.

The '91 Duke team was sensational...I loved that team. Leattner was something special, but that State team was once in a lifetime.

weezie
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
My goodness! What did we ever do with ourselves before the "internets?"

Indoor66
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
My goodness! What did we ever do with ourselves before the "internets?"

I worked at my job, read newspapers, newsmagazines, books, entered into face to face conversations, went to parties to be with people, danced, went to concerts and plays, window shopped, exercised. You know, real life things. :)

El_Diablo
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
NC State won, as expected. But it looks like WRAL adjusted the final tally to a more reasonable margin than it was earlier:

"The Pack earned 64% of the vote (3,572-2,031), easily outgaining their opponent in the finals, the Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill-led 1992 Blue Devils."

sagegrouse
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Lets see. The Raleigh TV station ran a poll and the hometown team was voted the best ACC team of all time. What is the information content of this pile of garbage?

sagegrouse

Uncle Drew
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I have seen game footage and reruns of David Thompson and company but I was not able to see or remember how good they were and make an honest evaluation for myself. I mentioned Bias as one of the best if not the best ACC player ever and got reamed by Duke fans who swore Thompson was by far the best ever hands down. So I'd like to ask people who actually saw those early 70's NCSU teams play along with Duke's early 90's teams and ask which in their opinion was better. I mean Thompson was a beast there is no doubt about that. But looking back on paper Duke appears deeper and more dangerous at every position. Polls are popularity contests so they mean nothing. But try and be as unbiased and let some of us younger fans know who truly was the better team. If the two teams in their prime played ten games what would be the outcome? Oh and what role would coaching play in the head to head match ups?

merry
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I have seen game footage and reruns of David Thompson and company but I was not able to see or remember how good they were and make an honest evaluation for myself. I mentioned Bias as one of the best if not the best ACC player ever and got reamed by Duke fans who swore Thompson was by far the best ever hands down. So I'd like to ask people who actually saw those early 70's NCSU teams play along with Duke's early 90's teams and ask which in their opinion was better. I mean Thompson was a beast there is no doubt about that. But looking back on paper Duke appears deeper and more dangerous at every position. Polls are popularity contests so they mean nothing. But try and be as unbiased and let some of us younger fans know who truly was the better team. If the two teams in their prime played ten games what would be the outcome? Oh and what role would coaching play in the head to head match ups?

When I saw this match-up I thought in all honesty it's a tough call - I voted for Duke 92 of course but can sort of see it both ways. Problem is the style of play and game rules were significantly different between 74 and 92.

I agree that on paper Duke 92 was deeper, probably faster and more athletic too. I think Duke has the edge in coaching as well. But I saw the 74 NCSU team play and thought they were freaks of nature. I think in a 10 game series Duke might have the edge but it's not a slam dunk blowout for Duke, IMO.

Uncle Drew
07-11-2008, 07:35 PM
When I saw this match-up I thought in all honesty it's a tough call - I voted for Duke 92 of course but can sort of see it both ways. Problem is the style of play and game rules were significantly different between 74 and 92.

I agree that on paper Duke 92 was deeper, probably faster and more athletic too. I think Duke has the edge in coaching as well. But I saw the 74 NCSU team play and thought they were freaks of nature. I think in a 10 game series Duke might have the edge but it's not a slam dunk blowout for Duke, IMO.

I appreciate your critique and alas we will never know. One thing is certain there would be matchup problems for both teams and me thinks (though I could be wrong) Duke would have the advantage playing with the 3 point line.

DevilDan
07-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Yup, I voted for DUKE over and over, but that's because I voted with my heart, and not my brain (right--what brain? ha!). The NCState team of 1974 was incredible, our guys in 1992 were head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAA. ( take THAT, Fab 5 ! )

But, I did go to the Maryland-NCState ACC Tournament game, AND was lucky enough to get tix thru the media to see State play UCLA (who had embarassed them a season before in St. Louis) and Marquette in the Final Four. That team was not just David Thompson; Monte Towe was a gamer, and Tommy Burleson played up to the opposition (try Bill Walton, no less) in the end.

Could Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Davis, and Hill have beaten them (if we forget the 18 year difference, and a different game)? Possibly. Would they have beaten them? Ain't gonna answer that one. But I will say I understand why the "WRAL-TV, in Raleigh, NC" poll finished the way it did.

As a DUKE fan since 1958, on a scale of 1-10, I'll rate the '92 National Champs a "10"; but at the same time, I have to rate the '74 National Champs a "12". I'm just glad I got to enjoy both Teams.

GO DUKE !

Indoor66
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Yup, I voted for DUKE over and over, but that's because I voted with my heart, and not my brain (right--what brain? ha!). The NCState team of 1974 was incredible, our guys in 1992 were head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAA. ( take THAT, Fab 5 ! )

But, I did go to the Maryland-NCState ACC Tournament game, AND was lucky enough to get tix thru the media to see State play UCLA (who had embarassed them a season before in St. Louis) and Marquette in the Final Four. That team was not just David Thompson; Monte Towe was a gamer, and Tommy Burleson played up to the opposition (try Bill Walton, no less) in the end.

Could Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Davis, and Hill have beaten them (if we forget the 18 year difference, and a different game)? Possibly. Would they have beaten them? Ain't gonna answer that one. But I will say I understand why the "WRAL-TV, in Raleigh, NC" poll finished the way it did.

As a DUKE fan since 1958, on a scale of 1-10, I'll rate the '92 National Champs a "10"; but at the same time, I have to rate the '74 National Champs a "12". I'm just glad I got to enjoy both Teams.

GO DUKE !

Would that make the score 12 - 10 NC State? Kinda reminds one of the '68 ACC Tourney. :mad:

Uncle Drew
07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
As stated in my earlier post I think coaching would play a key role. Now I will be the first to say there were Final Four games and national championship games that I think Coach K was either out coached or moved his rook when he should have moved his knight. But I can think of at least two games where Duke was going up against a POY NCAA stud and kept him well under his average. (Glenn Robinson 93, Larry Johnson 92 heck David Robinson 86) Defensively which was the better team and as much as people treat Thompson like a God, could Coach K design a system to slow or shut him down. And I have to say one mark of Duke defense is making the player have to work their tail off just to get the ball or keeping the ball out of their hands all together. But would Duke have the defensive capability to keep NCSU 74 out of their comfort zone and visa versa? I don't know, I'm just asking.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
David Thompson was the best player EVER in the ACC. I had the privilege of seeing him play in Cameron three times. It was worth every defeat we suffered those years.

That said, of course I voted for Duke over State, but since they can't play each other (DT's knees wouldn't hold up till the 2nd TV timeout today if they did :) ), let's call it a toss up.