PDA

View Full Version : Where is Caddy Shack among other comedies?

2535Miles
07-10-2008, 12:32 PM
OldPhiKap busted out a Caddy Shack quote the other day and got me thinking about that movie. It is almost an endless source of great quotes and one of my favorite comedies ever. How do you think it ranks among other comedies?

billybreen
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
It's uneven, it tries to do way too much, and it's in my top 10.

2535Miles
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm glad you posted, in addition to voting. I can agree with where you're coming from. Thankfully, the great moments far out weigh the bad moments. Now if you really wanna talk about trying to do too much, take a look at Caddy Shack II. I mean, er, uh, oh, ibit, zah, doh! The only quote I can remember from the part crap, I mean two is: "A fundsanoon is a guy who farts in the bathtub, then bites the bubbles…"

billybreen
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm glad you posted, in addition to voting. I can agree with where you're coming from. Thankfully, the great moments far out weigh the bad moments. Now if you really wanna talk about trying to do too much, take a look at Caddy Shack II. I mean, er, uh, oh, ibit, zah, doh! The only quote I can remember from the part crap, I mean two is: "A fundsanoon is a guy who farts in the bathtub, then bites the bubbles…"

Caddy Shack 2 was the first one I remember seeing (in the theater when I was a kid). It makes the original seem even better in comparison. What a trainwreck.

I don't think there are all that many bad moments in the original, it's just definitely a strange mix of stories. It's like they took a Dangerfield vehicle, a Chevy Chase vehicle, and a story about some scrappy unknown caddies and smashed them together in a particle collider, with a bit of Bill Murray insanity ad libbed on top. And, yet, it works.

rthomas
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Billy, Billy, Billy....

pamtar
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
If Rodney Dangerfield is in it it has to be AT LEAST top 25.

EarlJam
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Billy, Billy, Billy....

Man, I just want to say I LOVE your sig! I never quite "got" those lyrics. John Denver, despite his squeaky clean image, was known to dabble in drugs, pot, so maybe he was Rocky Mountain High when he wrote that.

Still, I like John Denver's work. I wish he was still around.

-EarlJam

mph
07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Caddy Shack 2 was the first one I remember seeing (in the theater when I was a kid). It makes the original seem even better in comparison. What a trainwreck.

I don't think there are all that many bad moments in the original, it's just definitely a strange mix of stories. It's like they took a Dangerfield vehicle, a Chevy Chase vehicle, and a story about some scrappy unknown caddies and smashed them together in a particle collider, with a bit of Bill Murray insanity ad libbed on top. And, yet, it works.

I vaguely remember an old ESPN commercial that involved caddies discussing the best film about caddies and the worst film about caddies. You can guess the answers. I looked on youtube and couldn't find anything. Does anyone else remember this commercial?

As for the poll, I haven't voted yet, but I think it's probably in the 10-20 range.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Who wants a Fresca? Hmmm? Hmmm?

DevilAlumna
07-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Maybe not the best movie, but chock full of excellent quotes!

Who hasn't watched a friend line up for an important shot, and gone, "noonan! noonan!"

Or, when about to make one of your own, think, "cinderalla story... Out of Augusta..."

*Spaulding!*