PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bogut gets $72.5 million extension

UVaAmbassador
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Over the next five years. I'm not even a bucks fan and I'm disgusted for them. How do you give 14.5 mil a year to a guy who only averaged 14.3 points a game last year. THATS OVER A MILLION BUCKS A YEAR PER POINT AVERAGED!!!!! I know he almost averaged double digit rebounds last year, but it ain't like this guy is a defensive juggernaut (less than 2 blocks a game, less than 1 steal a game). As a Pistons fan, I should be delighted that a division rival just threw away their cap space for the next half decade, but personal interest can't get me past this crime against basketball.

Edouble
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I've never seen him play in the NBA, as we don't get Bucks games where I live. A good center is hard to find, albeit Bogut is far from a marquee name or player in the league. It seems like a big guy who's averaging 14 and 9 would command a pretty nice salary, but the 14.5 million does seems pretty high. For that money, I'd expect an All-Star, but maybe he doesn't have the exposure or the team support to be an All-Star. Again though, my initial reaction is that 14.5 million is high for Andrew Bogut.

pfrduke
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I've never seen him play in the NBA, as we don't get Bucks games where I live. A good center is hard to find, albeit Bogut is far from a marquee name or player in the league. It seems like a big guy who's averaging 14 and 9 would command a pretty nice salary, but the 14.5 million does seems pretty high. For that money, I'd expect an All-Star, but maybe he doesn't have the exposure or the team support to be an All-Star. Again though, my initial reaction is that 14.5 million is high for Andrew Bogut.

For what it's worth, the following players made less than $14.5 million last season (although I think for some this had something to do with signing before they were eligible for max money):

LeBron James (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Dwyane Wade (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Chris Bosh (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Carmelo Anthony (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Rasheed Wallace
Richard Hamilton
Dwight Howard (will be over $14.5 in 2011)

Bogut's $14.5 million/year would tie him for 24th highest salary in the league (with Ben Wallace).

Kdogg
07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
For what it's worth, the following players made less than $14.5 million last season (although I think for some this had something to do with signing before they were eligible for max money):

LeBron James (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Dwyane Wade (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Chris Bosh (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Carmelo Anthony (will be over $14.5 in 2010)
Rasheed Wallace
Richard Hamilton
Dwight Howard (will be over $14.5 in 2011)

Bogut's $14.5 million/year would tie him for 24th highest salary in the league (with Ben Wallace).

He is still on his rookie contract. Next season he will be making around $7 million. This contract doesn't kick in until fall 2009. Most of these contracts have a progressive pay scale. He probably makes around 10 million the first year with a 15-20% increase each year. Maybe Kohl's is doing better than I thought, but it seens the senator is over paying for Bogut.

Double DD
07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
The contract is 5 years for 60 million with 12.5 million in incentives. It's a lot of money but not unreasonable for a good center. He'll be worth full value if they can make him more of a focal point of the offence and not just a 3rd or 4th option like he is now.

Uncle Drew
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Quite Frankly the money athletes, musicians and actors itself is obscene especially with the state of the economy and so many people struggling to make ends meet. The cost of tickets to your average proffesional game in any sport for the nose bleed section is insanity. The cost of a jersey or pair of sneakers gets jacked up to pay for their endorsement deals. You can't blame the athletes or celebrities for taking the money, and God knows the owners, producers and directors make money hand over fist. But at what point does it become so disgusting people stop shelling out the cash to watch?

UVaAmbassador
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
And now corey magette signs for 10 mil a year for 5 years. HOW DOES A 14 POINT A GAME SCORER GET 140% OF A 22 PPG GUY??? I DON'T CARE IF HE'S A CENTER, ITS INSANE!!!!

Edouble
07-11-2008, 10:51 AM
But at what point does it become so disgusting people stop shelling out the cash to watch?

About 10 years ago for me.

But I guess you're asking at what point does it become so obscene that the whole market for the product crashes, as nobody wants anything to do with it anymore.

1Devil
07-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Quite Frankly the money athletes, musicians and actors itself is obscene especially with the state of the economy and so many people struggling to make ends meet. The cost of tickets to your average proffesional game in any sport for the nose bleed section is insanity. The cost of a jersey or pair of sneakers gets jacked up to pay for their endorsement deals. You can't blame the athletes or celebrities for taking the money, and God knows the owners, producers and directors make money hand over fist. But at what point does it become so disgusting people stop shelling out the cash to watch?

There's no point lamenting the results of a market economy. Yes, it is amazing that the market is such that these guys can make so much money. But this is a very small number of people we're talking about in the big picture. At some point a compensation ceiling will be reached for entertainers. That will most likely happen if/when forms of entertainment that are not oriented toward individual performers become dominant. Virtual reality anyone?