PDA

View Full Version : Another Poll skew - Duke v UNC CBS Sportslne

BD80
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10892112

They pick AllStars, much a we have done here. Hurley, JWill, Grant, Battier and Laettner, with Boozer as the 6th man.

For carolina they have Ray Felton over Phil Ford?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That gves us the advantage. Add Jordan, Worthy, May, Rosenbluth with Lynch as the 6th man. I really think we win that matchup. Wth Ford, I'd go more 50-50.

mph
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
For carolina they have Ray Felton over Phil Ford?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Phil Ford never won a National Championship so he wasn't eligible. I'm sure Kenny Smith would have also beaten out Felton if he had won a NC.

dukemomLA
07-10-2008, 02:59 AM
With the personnel chosen for this "poll," there's no question that Duke should win hands down. The margin of victory should be at least 75/25.

Edouble
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, that's a pretty sick Duke team. Our best players just happen to have won National Championships. ;)

That's probably the team I would come up with for a Duke All-Star team anyway, and I definitely think it's a much stronger squad than the Tarheels' NC team.

skitelz
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
the only thing i would have changed was johnny dawkins in for hurley, but of course, johnny d didnt win a championship, so...

JasonEvans
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
the only thing i would have changed was johnny dawkins in for hurley, but of course, johnny d didnt win a championship, so...

Ferry or G-man over Boozer are no-brainers, but they did not win championships either. Ahh well. Limiting it to players with rings does give us an advantage over UNC. I still expect Carolina to win the vote because people are sheep and will vote for Jordan even though he wasn't all that great as a college player. Aside from him, we have strong advantages against the rest of that Carolina team.

--Jason "the UCLA team is gonna be sick!" Evans

Johnboy
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Ferry or G-man over Boozer are no-brainers, but they did not win championships either. Ahh well. Limiting it to players with rings does give us an advantage over UNC. I still expect Carolina to win the vote because people are sheep and will vote for Jordan even though he wasn't all that great as a college player. Aside from him, we have strong advantages against the rest of that Carolina team.

--Jason "the UCLA team is gonna be sick!" Evans

IIRC, Jordan (http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player992.txt)'s and J-Will's (http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player2038.txt) college experiences and statistics are extremely similar. He was "great" in college. The problem is that he wasn't anything like as great in college as Lew Alcindor, David Thompson, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Christian Laettner or arguably several others that you sometimes see ranked behind him in polls of great college players because of his pro career. But on this list, he's probably the third or fourth best college player (is he the best Tar Heel?) - Grant and Christian are clearly ahead of him and J-Will is equivalent.

I have to take a shower now . . .

slower
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
At least they have UNC listed (correctly) with only 4 titles, not that bogus 1924 Helms B.S.

slower
07-11-2008, 09:03 AM
And, yeah, when your team starts with Alcindor and Walton, that's gonna be hard to beat.