PDA

View Full Version : More evidence that JJ will be traded

bludvlman
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/SPORTS/80708058/1002/SPORTS

Hopefully that means JJ is traded, if not he could be forth string.

Clipsfan
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I was just about to post the following article from ESPN saying that Pietrus has been/will be signed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3478921

It looks like JJ will definitely be stuck on the bench, which is funny because Pietrus spent a lot of time there.

BlueintheFace
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I was looking at the box score for the summer league game... Gortat played but guess who was missing from the roster.... hmmmm!! It might mean nothing, but then again... he played last year as a bench warmer and his status hasn't changed much since...

SilkyJ
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
its nothing. he doesn't need to prove himself in summer league anymore, he was the best player in the summer league last year. the magic know he can play. I'm sure JJ is focusing on training camp.

moreover, its not his decision, just so everyone knows that. If the magic wanted him at summer league he'd be at summer league.

dukemomLA
07-09-2008, 01:21 AM
PLEASE, oh goodness, PLEASE, let JJ be traded!! He needs to find a team who will give me minutes he deserves, and a niche that he can fill. Go, JJ -- to anywhere else!

BlueintheFace
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
its nothing. he doesn't need to prove himself in summer league anymore, he was the best player in the summer league last year. the magic know he can play. I'm sure JJ is focusing on training camp.

moreover, its not his decision, just so everyone knows that. If the magic wanted him at summer league he'd be at summer league.

True, but if the Magic wanted to deal him they certainly would not have him in!

Classof06
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Signing Pietrus tells me that between Maurice Evans, Keyon Dooling and Keith Bogans, 1 or 2 of those guys most likely won't be resigned.

I don't think we'll know what the deal with JJ is until Orlando gets closer to the season and their expired contracts get resolved. More waiting on JJ's part..

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Thorpe says Redick is done in Orlando.

kramerbr
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Link?

sagegrouse
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Signing Pietrus tells me that between Maurice Evans, Keyon Dooling and Keith Bogans, 1 or 2 of those guys most likely won't be resigned.

I don't think we'll know what the deal with JJ is until Orlando gets closer to the season and their expired contracts get resolved. More waiting on JJ's part..

Does anyone else feel this is a "Catch 22" for JJ? You know, JJ as the bomabardier Yossarian (ah, another allusion -- "bombardier"), a frustrated but loyal airman. GM Otis Smith as Col. Cathcart, who keeps raising the number of missions (i.e., recruiting and drafting an ever-greater number of SGs) needed to be sent home from the front and won't reassign him (kkeps him on the bench and won't trade him) even though he's crazy (i.e., wants to play). There seems to be no way out; of course, the pay for JJ isn't bad.

The Catch 22 in the book, IIRC, is that you can't be grounded because you're crazy. Because being crazy proves you are sane, since the situation is totally insane.

Now this is only a partial construction. We still need people to play Milo Minderninder, Gen. Scheisskopf, Snowden (yikes), and Major Major (who hated all evil women that turned him down)....

sagegrouse
'Is Catch-22 taught in college lit courses? I was at Duke when it was published, so I am totally out of touch.'

Classof06
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Come to think of it, I'm going to have to agree with Thorpe. Orlando will keep at least one of their 2-guards from last year, then they now have Pietrus, and they drafted Courtney Lee (the 6-5, athletic 2-guard from Western Kentucky). And Lee's playing well in the summer league so far.

If you're JJ, that's a lot of people to overcome when you haven't really played in two years.

Drafting Lee really puts the writing on the wall, IMO.

But knowing Otis Smith and SVG, they may just keep JJ anyway, to spite him. This situation is really getting redickulous ;)

TampaDuke
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Does anyone else feel this is a "Catch 22" for JJ? You know, JJ as the bomabardier Yossarian (ah, another allusion -- "bombardier"), a frustrated but loyal airman. GM Otis Smith as Col. Cathcart, who keeps raising the number of missions (i.e., recruiting and drafting an ever-greater number of SGs) needed to be sent home from the front and won't reassign him (kkeps him on the bench and won't trade him) even though he's crazy (i.e., wants to play). There seems to be no way out; of course, the pay for JJ isn't bad.

The Catch 22 in the book, IIRC, is that you can't be grounded because you're crazy. Because being crazy proves you are sane, since the situation is totally insane.

Now this is only a partial construction. We still need people to play Milo Minderninder, Gen. Scheisskopf, Snowden (yikes), and Major Major (who hated all evil women that turned him down)....

sagegrouse
'Is Catch-22 taught in college lit courses? I was at Duke when it was published, so I am totally out of touch.'

Yossarian Lives!

JJ should get a shot somewhere soon. The Magic will either have to play him or trade him (maybe not before this season, though). He has value now and for a little while longer even if he's on the bench. If they hold him for a year without playing him, he's going to lose tremendous value to the Magic and they won't be able to get anything in return. They'll either have to exercise an option for a fourth year for a player that they didn't think was good enough to play for the first three or he'll walk as a free agent and the Magic get nothing.

Of course, we're talking about the Magic here, so it's likely they'll screw themselves yet again. Drafting a college POY and paying him for 3 or 4 years without giving him an opportunity to play and then losing him without getting any value would even top their 1st round pick from a few years ago when they drafted the European player (Fernandez?) that had no intention of ever playing in the NBA. At least they didn't have to pay him (although they could have easily traded the pick for a future one).

Edouble
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
JJ should get a shot somewhere soon. The Magic will either have to play him or trade him (maybe not before this season, though). He has value now and for a little while longer even if he's on the bench. If they hold him for a year without playing him, he's going to lose tremendous value to the Magic and they won't be able to get anything in return. They'll either have to exercise an option for a fourth year for a player that they didn't think was good enough to play for the first three or he'll walk as a free agent and the Magic get nothing.

He could sit on the bench this year and still have some value as insurance if any of their guys get injured. It seems like you'd want your insurance guy to at least be a someone who gets some minutes though. He may be better than whoever they can get for him in a trade, so they'd rather have him on their bench than some guy who's worse.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Link?

Of course, not officially.

Dave (Orlando): Is Redick done in Orlando?

SportsNation David Thorpe: Yes.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21388

BlueintheFace
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-bk-redick-orlando-magic-070908,0,7440131.story

"I spoke with Otis last week and I'm sure we'll speak again," Redick said. "I don't really know, man. Obviously, Otis has the control."