PDA

View Full Version : Compare a Duke Player

BlueintheFace
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Alright, this is a little summer activity that will literally infuriate some and delight others (sometimes it drives me crazy, but hey... it's the SUMMER)...

---If you had to compare the skill sets, body movement, range (anything but looks) of current players to past ones, which players would you choose? In other words, which former Duke player does Nolan Smith remind you of... or Jon Scheyer?---

I'm just going to start off with a few comparisons for debate, but I am sure you all can think of others.

Kyle Singler reminds me of Shane Battier. I think this is the first one that comes to mind and the least controversial... except for maybe how Paulus' game resembles Wojo's.

I will also add that Gerald's game most reminds me of Dahntay Jones' so far in his time at Duke.

Finally, I am going to say that Nolan Smith so far has most reminded me of Chris Duhon...

Do you have any comparisons to add or challenge these with?

shadowfax336
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
So can we move all future comparisons like this to thread then? And get them out of legitimate arguments?

nicktonyg22
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't normally like these comparison games, but I will agree with you on the Kyle Singler, Shane Battier comparison to some extent. They are both lanky 4's with a ton of talent, outside shooting touch and a will to play defense. I think we'll see that Singler will be able to score from the inside a bit better, but not be quite the defensive star and clutch player that Battier was.

Paulus is extremely better on the offensive end than Wojo was, and is not as good as Wojo was on the defensive end. That comparison confuses me. Paulus doesn't have the defensive mindset that Wojo did, but he has a 3-point shot that blows Wojo's offensive game out of the water.

I see where you are getting your Gerald and Dahntay comparison, but I really think it's only focused on the leaping ability. Gerald will be a much better all-around player- mostly because of his mid-range jumper.

The Nolan-Duhon comparison is pretty good. I actually think Nolan is quicker and will be a better scorer, but Duhon was great defensively. Hopefully with a year under his belt, Nolan will calm down a little on D and become a stopper.

gw67
07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Smith reminds me of Daniel Ewing. At this stage of their careers, both were above average defensive players and very good offensive players. Ewing took better care of the ball as an underclassman and both played the off guard and point guard positions but neither was a natural point guard.

I think of a young Ricky Price when I see Henderson play. As underclassmen, each was capable of the spectacular play and, IMO, generally garnered more praise from Duke fans than their performance merited. Of course, Ricky failed to come through on his potential while most observers feel that Henderson will continue to improve.

gw67

Jaymf7
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
This exercise is always so difficult because players evolve over time. I often remember players as they played at their peaks. GW67 does a good job of focusing on players at early stages of their careers -- although I was at Duke with Ricky Price and I recall being constantly frustrated by his inability to meet expectations, even if those were unrealistic (I have not felt that way about G).

Battier as an underclassman was a role player on a ridiculously talented team. We asked so much more of Singler last year. If he develops as I hope, Singler could be a much more dangerous triple-threat offensive player (I recall Battier having a smaller set of moves).

Smith definitely looks for his offense more than Duhon (IMHO). Perhaps compare him to a freshman Avery (who got more PT because we were not as deep in the backcourt). The early Ewing comparison works, too.

I see Paulus and Wojo as quite different players. I think Greg will be pretty great for us this year. Health and an increasingly talented surrounding cast will really help him as a senior.

BlueintheFace
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
The points about Paulus are valid, but I have a hard time thinking of any other point guards (in the K era at least) to compare him to. Who would be a better alternative? Dawkins, Hurley, Collins, Wojo, Avery, JWill, Duhon, Ewing, Dockery? I suppose Hurley would be better than Wojo. His game was to find the holes, run the offense, and hit the threes...but i'm not sure

Truth
07-08-2008, 07:01 PM
The points about Paulus are valid, but I have a hard time thinking of any other point guards (in the K era at least) to compare him to. Who would be a better alternative? Dawkins, Hurley, Collins, Wojo, Avery, JWill, Duhon, Ewing, Dockery? I suppose Hurley would be better than Wojo. His game was to find the holes, run the offense, and hit the threes...but i'm not sure

Um, no. It's hard to compare anyone, much less Greg Paulus, to the legendary Bobby Hurley.

I agree that a comparison for Paulus is tough to find though... Of the players you listed, I'd probably have to stay Collins -- good-to-great 3-pt shooter, limited defensively. Tough comparison...

EarlJam
07-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Cool post, thanks!

Marty Pocious = Marty Clark (comes off the bench and is usually reliable and provides a spark)

Although he left this year, Nelson always reminded me of Chris Carrawell. Same awkward stance dribbling of the ball, both tough, powerful, drove inside and were leaders.

How about Kyle Singler and Mike Dunleavy? Both have that "good" cockiness about them, have leadership abilty and a solid all-around game.

I agree with Nolan Smith/Chris Duhon, though I believe Nolan has the potential to be even a bit better.

Brian Zoubek.....Clay Buckley?

David McClure - Greg Koubek?

-EarlJam

bludvlman
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Paulus- Hurley
Smith- Ewing
Henderson- Hill
Singler- Dunleavy
Scheyer- Langdon

shadowfax336
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
why doesn't any player ever get compared to one of our former bench warmers?

I feel like a team with Hurley, Ewing, Hill, Dunleavy and Langdon would be able to get out of the second round no matter how sick they were...

seriously...

Earljam at least isn't trotting out an allstar team...
but I've played pick-up with Marty Clark...
he's about as similar to Pocius as Zoubek is
since when is Pocius reliable off the bench

arnie
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Paulus- Hurley
Smith- Ewing
Henderson- Hill
Singler- Dunleavy
Scheyer- Langdon

I think the team on the right hand side of the column would abuse the team on left hand side. Hurley, Hill and Dunleavy - wow!

BlueintheFace
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Prediction: Olek Czyz-- Taymon Domzalski

Verga3
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Paulus - Vacendak
Smith - Ewing
Henderson - Hill
Singler - Battier
Scheyer - Spanarkel

Verga3
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Prediction: Olek Czyz-- Taymon Domzalski

Also, how about Olek Czyz - Kenny Dennard?

EarlJam
07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Have you played pick up with Pocius? He got hurt last year but the year before came off the bench and provided a real spark to the team. Lots of energy, good basketball, and intelligence. That's what I remember Clark for.

Thing is though, Clark's career is done. The chapter on Pocius is still being written.

-EJ

why doesn't any player ever get compared to one of our former bench warmers?

I feel like a team with Hurley, Ewing, Hill, Dunleavy and Langdon would be able to get out of the second round no matter how sick they were...

seriously...

Earljam at least isn't trotting out an allstar team...
but I've played pick-up with Marty Clark...
he's about as similar to Pocius as Zoubek is
since when is Pocius reliable off the bench

BlueintheFace
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Alright... I have two more to add. One is a prediction... the other is simply a stroke of genius.

Prediction--- Miles Plumlee- Mason Plumlee

Jordan Davidson- Patrick Davidson

weezie
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Jordan Davidson- Patrick Davidson

;) Love it....simply cannot get enough of the infamous Davidsons.

Indoor66
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
;) Love it....simply cannot get enough of the infamous Davidsons.

Or should that be notorious? :confused: