PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts/Redick summer plans

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Just wondering what they're doing this summer. I would have assumed that McRoberts at least would be playing summer league stuff, but I don't see him listed on Indiana's roster for the Orlando games. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008orlandosummerleaguerosters) I know JJ wants to get off the bench badly, what is he doing to help his chances in the offseason?

Edouble
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
McRoberts, Jarrett Jack, and Brandon Rush, the three guys that came over from Portland, are all absent from the team. Maybe those three already have a spot on the Pacers next season and the guys on this team are competing for one of the last spots?

Davidson09
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought Redick was at the Team USA tryouts? I think Coach K wants him as a backup b/c he knows K's system already...

SilkyJ
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
McRoberts, Jarrett Jack, and Brandon Rush, the three guys that came over from Portland, are all absent from the team. Maybe those three already have a spot on the Pacers next season and the guys on this team are competing for one of the last spots?

Jack has been in the league for several seasons so he wouldn't have played on the Summer league squad anyways. thats usually for 1st/2nd year players. No idea why Rush isn't on the squad, ditto for mcbob...

I thought Redick was at the Team USA tryouts? I think Coach K wants him as a backup b/c he knows K's system already...

what?! what in the world made you think that. 1st off there aren't any tryouts this summer, just practices/training camps. They selected the squad a couple weeks ago, and believe me, JJ wasn't even being considered for it. Perennial allstars like Paul Pierce and Shawn Marion didn't make the cut and you think someone like JJ who averages 5 minutes per game is being considered for a backup role????

There are many sayings on this board, one of them is THINK before you post or at least do some research

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Maybe those three already have a spot on the Pacers next season and the guys on this team are competing for one of the last spots?

If I was McRoberts, I'd be out there competing to at least get off the bench. Europe is one season away, and not playing in the summer isn't going to keep his boat to Italy out of the dock.
JJ is trying to prove his defensive worth to his coaches. He might be on the cusp for experienced players (going on his 3rd season) playing summer league, but I don't see how it couldn't help him.

pamtar
07-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Jack has been in the league for several seasons...

sev·er·al: Being of a number more than two or three but not many...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jarrett_jack/career_stats.html

And you want to talk about doing research...;);)

duke74
07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
There are many sayings on this board, one of them is THINK before you post or at least do some research

And I think another one may be "be civil to your fellow posters".

dukeENG2003
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/lee_070806_usaselect.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/acc/2006-03-05-redick_x.htm

There was indeed a time (a while ago) when he was considered for the senior national team. He has since been demoted to the "select" team if I'm not mistaken. It was a question that might be a little outdated, but not as stupid as SilkyJ makes it out to be. Needless to say, Adam Morrison ALSO has no chance of making the senior team.

Duke4Ever32
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Exactly. I'll take honest ignorance over incivility any day.

Ignatius07
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Don't listen to him Silky, I use "several" to refer to 3; in fact even by that definition, 3 is "more than two."

BlueintheFace
07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
JJ has been in Durham this summer staying in shape and playing pick up games with the team and a few recruits. I'm not sure if he still is though...

bludvlman
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
mcroberts isn't playing b/c the league didn't approve that trade until today.

jaimedun34
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
There's a video on ESPN.com of Oden working out. Not sure if it's from this summer, but McRoberts was working out with him.

Classof06
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
There's a video on ESPN.com of Oden working out. Not sure if it's from this summer, but McRoberts was working out with him.

I saw that too. Shouldn't come as a surprise though. Both are from the Indianapolis area, played on the same AAU team and they're very good friends.

uncwdevil
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong Davidson09, but this was meant as a joke right?

Sometimes jokes don't translate on message boards and I think Silk missed this one.

SilkyJ
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM

well which one is it? is it more than two or more than three? that definition is inherently flawed. talk about 1st grade math.

I realized I was a little harsh but the amount of ridiculous comments and junk thrown up on the board has gone up a lot in the last 18 months or so, and much of it by newer posters. I meant my comments as nothing more than trying to keep the board insightful and intelligent so that none of us have to waste our times reading ridiculous posts.

Correct me if I'm wrong Davidson09, but this was meant as a joke right?

Sometimes jokes don't translate on message boards and I think Silk missed this one.

5 bucks says it wasn't, but you could be right.

SilkyJ
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't listen to him Silky, I use "several" to refer to 3; in fact even by that definition, 3 is "more than two."

also, what he (^) said.

Duke4Ever32
07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I meant my comments as nothing more than trying to keep the board insightful and intelligent so that none of us have to waste our times reading ridiculous posts.

I think all of us would agree that insightful and intelligent are preferable to "ridiculous" and "junk". However, did you think the other poster actually thought that what he was posting was either ridiculous or a piece of junk?? I'm sure that wasn't the case. He was either making a joke or believed what he was saying - neither option called for such a rebuke, nor did the response make the new poster feel that DBR is a very hospitable or inviting place.

Redick actually was involved with Team USA at some point. The "USA Basketball/Redemption" piece on ESPN2 that aired last week shows him with the team in several shots.

SilkyJ
07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
However, did you think the other poster actually thought that what he was posting was either ridiculous or a piece of junk?? I'm sure that wasn't the case.

Regardless of whether he thought he was posting junk or not, he was posting junk, and that's more what I care about. If he was making a joke, then I totally missed it and will/would apologize. I don't think he was.

Redick actually was involved with Team USA at some point. The "USA Basketball/Redemption" piece on ESPN2 that aired last week shows him with the team in several shots.

I am fully aware of JJ's involvement with team USA. He was brought in along with Oden and Morrison, and eventually Durant, in an effort to bring younger guys into the program who might one day develop into players worthy of being on the team (although at the time, they may have thought that oden could be ready right then and there). i.e. get them affiliated with the program now so that 5 years down the line when they are invited to the join the team they are familiar with the program and don't snub an invite like many stars have done recently. JJ was never in contention to actually MAKE the team. NEVER. He even played the fewest minutes of anyone in the inter-squad scrimmage last summer.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2007/07_msnt_exhbox1.pdf

(editorial note: Let me just say that I am a friend of JJ's and am in no way trying to speak negatively of his ability to play basketball. just so there's no misunderstandings. Its pretty tough to make a team when you are competing against the likes of Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, and Michael Redd etc.)

SupaDave
07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I do believe the Select team has been scrimmaging Team USA. But it seems like no one has anything other than "they're working out". So let's wait and see what we get.

Davidson09
07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
it wasn't a joke... based on quick glancing, it had appeared to me that Coach K had selected Redick for Team USA. Further reading led me to believe this wasn't the case, but there was the possibility at some point. Sometimes I'm not so quick...

SilkyJ
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
ahem.

Classof06
07-10-2008, 04:36 PM
If I was McRoberts, I'd be out there competing to at least get off the bench. Europe is one season away, and not playing in the summer isn't going to keep his boat to Italy out of the dock. JJ is trying to prove his defensive worth to his coaches. He might be on the cusp for experienced players (going on his 3rd season) playing summer league, but I don't see how it couldn't help him.

This is a great point. For all intents and purposes, this is probably the biggest summer of McRoberts' career. He really rubbed a lot of NBA scouts/execs/etc the wrong way with his attitude at the NBDL Showcase last January and he's only going to get a limited amount of opportunities to change the perception of him. Going to Indiana seems to be a blessing in disguise; hopefully he takes advantage of being on a new team and back in his hometown. The clock is ticking.