PDA

View Full Version : "Leave the place better than how you found it," Coach Cutcliffe

watzone
07-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Cutcliffe is cleaning things up! Here is a current press release which tells of a lesson learned. I like this guy!

DURHAM, N.C. – After spending an afternoon at the park one day as a child, first-year Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe’s father was preparing to load up the family and head home. But just as Cutcliffe and his five siblings were heading to the car, his father called them back.

“It came time to leave and he called us all up and he told us to look around and tell him what we saw,” said Cutcliffe. “We didn’t see much because we were kids, but we pointed out all the trash that was left after everybody had gone.”

That’s when Cutcliffe’s father taught the children a lesson that the Duke coach still carries with him today.

“He had us pick it all up," Cutcliffe remembered. "We complained and moaned and groaned, but when we finished, he put us all up on one of those big concrete picnic tables and let us look at the park. It looked great. Then he told us, ‘Remember that when a Cutcliffe goes somewhere, you leave it better than when you found it.’”

That lesson is one of the fundamental messages Cutcliffe is instilling in the student-athletes on the Duke football team.

“That’s how you build a program; leave the place better than how you found it in every way,” Cutcliffe said. “Part of that is taking pride in your facility.”

The Blue Devils did just that early Tuesday morning when the team met at 6:30 a.m., to take part in a campus cleanup project that began at Wallace Wade Stadium and extended through Duke’s entire West Campus. Over 70 members of the football team and several coaches, each with a garbage bag in hand, spent nearly two hours clearing the area of garbage.

“When people think community service, a lot of them think outward, but it’s pretty neat that we can do it here on our own campus,” senior wide receiver Ryan Wood said. “I think it’s a testament to the mentality that coach Cutcliffe has. In one of our first team meetings, he came in and told us about who he is as a person, and one of the things he remembers was his father really instilling in him to leave a place better than you found it. And what better place to do that than the place where we live and play everyday?”

Wood and his teammates split into eight groups that were assigned to specific areas of the campus. Wood and his unit spent their morning in the bleachers and on the concourse of Wallace Wade Stadium, while others worked in the practice fields, parking lots and the grass courtyards near the student dormitories.

“It started off kind of slow because most of the open areas are kind of clean,” said Michael Tauiliili, a senior linebacker. “My group was in charge of the concourse area, but when we got into the corner (of Wallace Wade Stadium), we found a bunch of cans and cups deep in the crevices.”

All of the cans, cups and other materials added up. With over sixty bags of garbage, the Blue Devils easily filled a dumpster with all of the debris and left the campus much better off than it was two hours earlier.

“These guys did a phenomenal job," Cutcliffe said. "If you want to take a tour afterwards, you’re not going to find this place looking any better than how it looks right now.”

Classof06
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
The more and more I read about the direction Cutcliffe is taking this thing, the more and more I'm impressed.

I'm not exactly expecting a BCS bowl appearance this year but I can't wait this team play.

Indoor66
07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Cutcliffe is cleaning things up! Here is a current press release which tells of a lesson learned. I like this guy!

DURHAM, N.C. – After spending an afternoon at the park one day as a child, first-year Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe’s father was preparing to load up the family and head home. But just as Cutcliffe and his five siblings were heading to the car, his father called them back.

“It came time to leave and he called us all up and he told us to look around and tell him what we saw,” said Cutcliffe. “We didn’t see much because we were kids, but we pointed out all the trash that was left after everybody had gone.”

That’s when Cutcliffe’s father taught the children a lesson that the Duke coach still carries with him today.

“He had us pick it all up," Cutcliffe remembered. "We complained and moaned and groaned, but when we finished, he put us all up on one of those big concrete picnic tables and let us look at the park. It looked great. Then he told us, ‘Remember that when a Cutcliffe goes somewhere, you leave it better than when you found it.’”

That lesson is one of the fundamental messages Cutcliffe is instilling in the student-athletes on the Duke football team.

“That’s how you build a program; leave the place better than how you found it in every way,” Cutcliffe said. “Part of that is taking pride in your facility.”

The Blue Devils did just that early Tuesday morning when the team met at 6:30 a.m., to take part in a campus cleanup project that began at Wallace Wade Stadium and extended through Duke’s entire West Campus. Over 70 members of the football team and several coaches, each with a garbage bag in hand, spent nearly two hours clearing the area of garbage.

“When people think community service, a lot of them think outward, but it’s pretty neat that we can do it here on our own campus,” senior wide receiver Ryan Wood said. “I think it’s a testament to the mentality that coach Cutcliffe has. In one of our first team meetings, he came in and told us about who he is as a person, and one of the things he remembers was his father really instilling in him to leave a place better than you found it. And what better place to do that than the place where we live and play everyday?”

Wood and his teammates split into eight groups that were assigned to specific areas of the campus. Wood and his unit spent their morning in the bleachers and on the concourse of Wallace Wade Stadium, while others worked in the practice fields, parking lots and the grass courtyards near the student dormitories.

“It started off kind of slow because most of the open areas are kind of clean,” said Michael Tauiliili, a senior linebacker. “My group was in charge of the concourse area, but when we got into the corner (of Wallace Wade Stadium), we found a bunch of cans and cups deep in the crevices.”

All of the cans, cups and other materials added up. With over sixty bags of garbage, the Blue Devils easily filled a dumpster with all of the debris and left the campus much better off than it was two hours earlier.

“These guys did a phenomenal job," Cutcliffe said. "If you want to take a tour afterwards, you’re not going to find this place looking any better than how it looks right now.”

Pride and accomplishment grow slowly out of small things and deeds.

OldPhiKap
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
The more and more I read about the direction Cutcliffe is taking this thing, the more and more I'm impressed.

I'm not exactly expecting a BCS bowl appearance this year but I can't wait this team play.

Ditto!

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I like his mentality of getting the team really involved in the community. Regardless of how many wins we get this year (and I believe we will get some very good ones), the crowds are more likely to show up just because he is putting a different face on Duke football, top to bottom. He has an impressive work ethic that can't help but rub off on the players as well. It's easier to put everything you got into your efforts when you see someone leading the way with just as much sweat.

JasonEvans
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Ditto!!! But, I want to add that turning a football program around is a slow process -- especially one as woefully far gone as Duke. Coach Cut may have a great year this year or this first season may be another frustrating one. To me, the mark of his impact will be what kind of team we are in 3 or 4 years. For at least the first two seasons I think we should all be very tempered in our expectations.

--Jason "oh boy, wouldn't it be nice to look forward to Saturdays in the fall!!" Evans

monkey
07-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I think this is great and all (and good message) but .... doesn't the University still pay people to pick up garbage - why was there so much for them to pick up?

brevity
07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Request to the board: keep posting stories about Coach Cutcliffe like this.

I honestly don't know if all the great vibes, work ethic, and attitude this season will mean any additional wins, but it's hard to stay pessimistic about Duke football when its coach has such a good head on his shoulders.

orrnot
07-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I think this is great and all (and good message) but .... doesn't the University still pay people to pick up garbage - why was there so much for them to pick up?

I think it's because thousands more people believe that they pay the University (in tuition, tickets, parking fees, etc.) for the privilege of tossing their garbage anywhere they please.

I'm hard pressed to define a metric for the value that Duke receives on its waste management, but I think my own inclination would be to stop short of paying the high price of full perfection in cleanup. I think I'd be satisfied if Duke paid for and received 98% efficiency, which I'd bet would leave plenty of pickings for a detail-oriented and impressively motivated football team.
Coach Cutcliffe was rather famously impressed with the cleanliness and order of the Duke campus as he found it. I think his lesson today was that something good can always be improved, not that something bad required his attention.

BlueDevilBaby
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Coach Cut's dad must have been a scout - that quote was hammered into me on every scout camping trip and I still use it from time to time.

Johnboy
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Coach Cut's dad must have been a scout - that quote was hammered into me on every scout camping trip and I still use it from time to time.

That's the "campsite rule" for scouts.

A place to find a variation on it is the Savage Love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Love) (scroll down) sex advice column (http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove).

OZZIE4DUKE
07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Ditto!!! But, I want to add that turning a football program around is a slow process -- especially one as woefully far gone as Duke. Coach Cut may have a great year this year or this first season may be another frustrating one. To me, the mark of his impact will be what kind of team we are in 3 or 4 years. For at least the first two seasons I think we should all be very tempered in our expectations.

--Jason "oh boy, wouldn't it be nice to look forward to Saturdays in the fall!!" Evans

I see no reason to temper enthusiastic expectations at this time of year (big surprise from me, right? ) We could have won 5 games each of the last two seasons. Better conditioning would have accounted for 3 of those wins each year, and better coaching and execution the other two. We'll win those type games this year. Six wins and bowl eligibility is within our grasp.

weezie
07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Right on Oz-man!

DBR tailgating party in the works? Maybe you bring some of that BBQ you're so famous for and I'll bring some 'tater salad!

PDDuke85
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Two head coaches ago, the team went bowling to foster unity/comraderie. I like what I see in the early stages of the current reign of Coach Cutcliffe. With the current head coach, this team will really go bowling!

Bluedawg
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I see no reason to temper enthusiastic expectations at this time of year (big surprise from me, right? ) We could have won 5 games each of the last two seasons. Better conditioning would have accounted for 3 of those wins each year, and better coaching and execution the other two. We'll win those type games this year. Six wins and bowl eligibility is within our grasp.

I agree. he is not lowering expectations, why should we?