PDA

View Full Version : Who starts at the 5 next year?

CameronCrazy'11
07-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I know there's been a lot of debate about this on the board. I wanted to see what the consensus opinion was (if any).

dukeENG2003
07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
The answer is very clearly more than one name. What specifically is your question? Who starts at the beginning of the season? For the most games? At the end of the season?

It will also depend a lot on matchups.

I'm assuming your question is "who starts the most games for us at 5 next year".

CameronCrazy'11
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
The answer is very clearly more than one name. What specifically is your question? Who starts at the beginning of the season? For the most games? At the end of the season?

I'm assuming your question is "who starts the most games for us at 5 next year".

Since we can only go on what we know so far, I'll say who do you think will be a starter at the beginning of the year. Obviously, the answer to this question will likely change based on how they all play next year. But based on what you know now, who do you think coach K will start at the beginning of next season?

BlueintheFace
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm about 99% sure we did this poll a month ago... except back then Jordan Davidson was on the list...

Classof06
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM

IMO, the title of this thread is the biggest personnel question mark surrounding Duke. I'm extremely curious to see who emerges as the starting center for this team because the play of that starting center will go a long way in determining the ultimate success of this team.

Though I believe Czyz and Plumlee will be very solid contributors, a healthy Zoubek should come the season opener. Until I see how the 2 freshmen adapt to the ACC, that's all I can come up with.

shadowfax336
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
just curious but what is the possible case for Miles Plumlee being our starting center...

somebody enlighten me please? Is there anything here besides late recruit buzz behind this? Cuz last time I checked he was a (for Duke) lower ranked recruit coming in behind 2 junior bigs who've started in past games at Duke and who are expected to be better this year. Czyz at least has the athleticism vibe, which I understand, but where is the Plumlee love coming from?

Davidson09
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I agree with Classof06. I think Zoubek is the most proven out of all the 5's, and although I believe the frosh will contribute more and more time as the season goes on, a healthy (knock on wood) Z will be coach's first option.

shadowfax336
07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
why is Zoubek the most proven?
people seem to be dismissing Lance...
he is the incumbent starter ya know...
incumbent 2 year starter...
perfect for an up-tempo game

has obvious weaknesses but so does everybody else...

I love Zou and think he'll end up starting too, but don't dismiss Lance

MChambers
07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
just curious but what is the possible case for Miles Plumlee being our starting center...

somebody enlighten me please? Is there anything here besides late recruit buzz behind this? Cuz last time I checked he was a (for Duke) lower ranked recruit coming in behind 2 junior bigs who've started in past games at Duke and who are expected to be better this year. Czyz at least has the athleticism vibe, which I understand, but where is the Plumlee love coming from?

I'll take a crack at explaining the Plumlee support, although I voted for Lance.
Plumlee has better size than Thomas, Czyz, and McClure, and that, I hope, means that he will be a better shot blocker and rebounder than they are. At the same time, reports are that he is pretty mobile, which might mean that he would fit better into the defensive scheme than does Zoubek. Also, there are obvious health concerns with Zoubek. Finally, although Plumlee was not as highly ranked, his ranking did go up toward the end of his high school career, suggesting that he is improving rapidly. Of course, we can hope that all of our players improve rapidly over the off-season. :-)
As I said, I voted for Lance, but I would not be surprised to see Plumlee play a significant role off the bench.

Wander
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
We won a lot of games with Lance Thomas starting at the 5 last year. I have no doubt we can win a lot of games with Lance starting at the 5 again this year, and maybe even win the ACC championship.

I'm also willing to make a very confident bet with anyone that we will not make the Final Four with Thomas, Czyz, McClure, or Singler playing the majority of minutes at center. The only two options are Zoubek or Plumlee. I want to say that my guess is Plumlee, since he's supposed to be a skilled big man who can run the floor well. Realistically though, I have doubts that he's physically ready for ACC play, and Zoubek is the most likely option for our primary center, even though he's not ideal for our style of play.

nicktonyg22
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Lance has started 42 games in his career. I know that he's undersized, but he has the most experience out of any of our front court players. We saw what he could do when we utilized him, even in a big-time game (see UNC part I last year).

I don't know why people think Plumlee, though he is a couple inches taller, will be a better starter at the 5 this year. He's a rail thin, finesse, perimeter- oriented player from most of what I've heard and read. If we are looking for someone to be physical in the post on both ends of the court, I don't think he is the answer as a freshman. Maybe (hopefully), he'll prove me wrong. I just don't see Coach K picking Miles over Lance to start the year.

What I hope to have happen is for Miles to get some PT allowing him to utilize his quickness and face-up game. If this can be combined with some PT from Olek using his strength, physicality and athleticism, we'll have fire and ice coming off the bench.

Wander
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't even think Plumlee will be a better player than Lance next year. All I'm saying is that Lance is not a center. That's not an insult. It's exactly like saying we can't make the Final Four starting Singler at center, or starting Paulus at center, or starting Steve Nash at center.

I think the absolute perfect starting center on this team, strictly skill-set wise, would be McRoberts. But no sense worrying about that, obviously.

bradjenk
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
The answer is ... whoever will REBOUND, Defend the basket without fouling, and Finish at the basket better than the others. My guess is Zoubek if healthier for according to Coach K, that was going to be the plan last year.

Jim3k
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Please stop with this type of question. K does not use Smith's number system. He goes with 'Bigs,' Wings' and a 'Point.' If you want to know who the other Big is going to be, since Singler is a lock, fine. But since K doesn't match position by position with the other team, it's too fluid to call. If he's playing a one in, four out motion offense, the one in will probably be a center. But that person might not be matched up with the opposing team's center. If it's a two in, three out motion, it gets even harder to follow. Bigs and Wings is the best way to look at it. Sometimes, certainly when Paulus is out, the point may also be a wing.

So this 'Who's the 5?' stuff is not helpful in understanding what K does.

Who's on if we play big? Who's on if we play small? No real answers there except for some common sense.

shadowfax336
07-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I think we're talking who's the 5th starter, assuming a lineup of Singler-Hendo-Scheyer-Paulus as the first 4 (or E-Will/Nolan replacing one of them for the athleticism lovers)

So yeah the 5 isn't strictly how K might think of it, but its not a useless concept here at all

Jim3k
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I think we're talking who's the 5th starter, assuming a lineup of Singler-Hendo-Scheyer-Paulus as the first 4 (or E-Will/Nolan replacing one of them for the athleticism lovers)

So yeah the 5 isn't strictly how K might think of it, but its not a useless concept here at all

If that's the case, then more precise English would help. "The 5" is not the same as "the 5th,' as in 5th starter.

I wouldn't normally care, but this Board has been throwing around 3s and 4s willy-nilly when it comes to describing how Czyz and Mi. Plumlee will be used. And no one has figured it out yet. "Bigs" works much better.

dukeimac
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't think Duke will have a set "5" this next season. I think Coach K will use who ever posses the biggest problem for their opponents.

For example, I like McClure against Hans with Plumlee coming from the weak side to block his shot.

To analyze this:
Zou has the height but needs to develop his foot work. Most guys he has guarded in the past could get around him easy.

Lance is a leaper but is easily pushed out of position.

McClure is a gritty guy but size is an issue against the taller guys who can leap well.

Plumlee has been characterized as a 4 only because of his height but lacks the physical ness to be a post player.

Czyz doesn’t have the post experience to play against many of the college post players.

But having analyzed the situation I like Duke even better. Think about the game against UNC. Put Zou on Hans to start and have Zou push him out and make him put it on the floor. Then put Thomas on him so when he tries to put it on the floor Thomas can stop that. Then come back with McClure who can body him up and make it tough for him to get around him and make Hans shot an outside shot. Then come back with Czyz and get hyper all over Hans with his athletic ability. I think that would just frustrate a guy like Hans because he would always have to shift gears; go to the basket against this guy, shoot over that guy, move faster against this guy, etc. Run these guys at him in 4 minute spurts and drive the guy nuts.

Classof06
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't even think Plumlee will be a better player than Lance next year. All I'm saying is that Lance is not a center. That's not an insult. It's exactly like saying we can't make the Final Four starting Singler at center, or starting Paulus at center, or starting Steve Nash at center.

I think the absolute perfect starting center on this team, strictly skill-set wise, would be McRoberts. But no sense worrying about that, obviously.

There's no way to know whether or not Plumlee will be better than Thomas next year because we haven't seen Plumlee play. That being said, I've long been unimpressed with Lance's production, even though I do feel he's being asked to fill an extremely difficult role for his skillset. Between Lance and a healthy Zoubek, Lance has a much higher chance of getting lost in the shuffle with the additions of Czyz and Plumlee. Lance is only 6-7, he's not going to start over Singler at the 4 and he's clearly not a center, as you've pointed out and we've all seen.

Let's be honest; Lance averaged 4 ppg and 3 rpg as a starter last season, never once grabbing double digit rebounds in any game. If Czyz and especially Plumlee (at 6-10) couldn't match that production given solid minutes, even as freshmen, then I'd be pretty surprised. Just my $0.02.

I'll tell you what, I didn't think this was possible a month ago, but if Zoubek should somehow falter next season, I really don't think it would be that unrealistic to see Plumlee or Czyz possibly start (if they show they can play). Upperclassman or not, I don't see a 6-7 Thomas starting for another year when there are 6-8 and 6-10 kids riding the pine. Unless Czyz and Plumlee are really that unprepared to contribute. And again, I'd be pretty surprised if that was the case.

UrinalCake
07-09-2008, 04:30 PM

I'd rather have Dwight Howard :).

Buckeye Devil
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
...Zoubek is the most likely option for our primary center, even though he's not ideal for our style of play.

If this is true, why was he even recruited?

No negatives intended here. He played hard last year when he wasn't hurt. I give him credit because IMO he did make his presence felt on several occasions. I think that he can make a positive contribution.

The tenor of the thread seems to be that the "5" or whatever it is being called here will be situational. But the Duke style seems to minimize what Zoubek has to offer.