PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler article and update

watzone
07-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Kyle Singler is currently participating in the Lebron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio as are many Duke recruiting prospects. The Academy has both college and high school players who ball and learn skill sets seperately. Jay Bilas is helping out and Coach K was there today.

Here is Bob Green on Singler - http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/category/duke-basketball/

DukieInBrasil
07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
good to see that Kyle has the desire to amp up his game, and Duke´s game. Although i agree about the next articel about LT and how a player´s value is not always measured by a box score, i thought it was pretty thin. I hope he improves in the coming year, and he did improe some in his So. year as well. More rebounds would be nice.

greybeard
07-08-2008, 01:23 AM
You want LT to improve on the boards and on D, get him more quality touches on the other end, particularly on the move. I believe that they started to look to do that at the end but that his handle was injured and he did not hurt people like he could.

If K wants LT to contribute more in doing the heavy lifting, he will have to empower him to exert control on the offensive end over stronger/bigger opponents. Last year the offense was not geared to that, although there were signs of it, in the first NC game in particular where I believe that LT's inside scoring early set the tone for the game.

With a healed handle (let's hope), LT should make those twisty little layups he missed at the end of some otherwise neat interior pass to a diving/riving Thomas. He makes them the other guys don't "look so proud," don't feel so bold, coming down the other end. LT then shoots a lane, makes a steal, uses his length to snare a long handed rebound and starts a break, and boom, a run for Duke started by their fifth starter.

K and his staff have to decide whether they want to feature LT the way they featured many of the other starters. Not because he is the best player at his position, but because it is the nature of the game that if a talented guy gets the edge on the interior in space and momentum on a defender, that defender is in a world of trouble.

This team if it wants to reah its potential must do that, in my opinion. We sahll see if the Kman agrees.

Edouble
07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Greybeard--

What do you mean when you say that LT needs to have a healed handle? To me "handle" refers to ball handling, and I'm not sure how this can be injured. Is "handle" slang for something else?

Clipsfan
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Greybeard--

What do you mean when you say that LT needs to have a healed handle? To me "handle" refers to ball handling, and I'm not sure how this can be injured. Is "handle" slang for something else?

Good question...I'm just surprised that there was no mention of needing to play soccer.

SMO
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Greybeard--

Didn't LT have an injured hand? I think that's what the Grey one is referring to.

SMO
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/coach-k-on-dukes-injuries/

SupaDave
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
You want LT to improve on the boards and on D, get him more quality touches on the other end, particularly on the move. I believe that they started to look to do that at the end but that his handle was injured and he did not hurt people like he could.

If K wants LT to contribute more in doing the heavy lifting, he will have to empower him to exert control on the offensive end over stronger/bigger opponents. Last year the offense was not geared to that, although there were signs of it, in the first NC game in particular where I believe that LT's inside scoring early set the tone for the game.

With a healed handle (let's hope), LT should make those twisty little layups he missed at the end of some otherwise neat interior pass to a diving/riving Thomas. He makes them the other guys don't "look so proud," don't feel so bold, coming down the other end. LT then shoots a lane, makes a steal, uses his length to snare a long handed rebound and starts a break, and boom, a run for Duke started by their fifth starter.

K and his staff have to decide whether they want to feature LT the way they featured many of the other starters. Not because he is the best player at his position, but because it is the nature of the game that if a talented guy gets the edge on the interior in space and momentum on a defender, that defender is in a world of trouble.

This team if it wants to reah its potential must do that, in my opinion. We sahll see if the Kman agrees.

I'm sorry but this is one of the most hilarious posts I've ever read. The whole handle thing is hilarious and then the rest of this is pure speculation.

L.T. will of course be better this year. Has there EVER been a Duke player that didn't get better?

Physically imposing? Never. And Lance knows that and I've even seen him state it in an article.

However, one thing that he knows he does have is speed. Coach K utilized it a lot last year and Lance did indeed have some great games that were not necessarly notated in the box score.

The one thing I saw, that lets me know he's gonna be a lot better than you think this year, is the fact that close to the end of the year - he stopped pump faking so freaking much. That was his achilles heel and the bigger players simply waited on him. By the end of the year he figured it out and started going straight up - his confidence soared in the process.

That in itself will give us a much better player this year.

Oh yeah - back to the speculation. I'm gonna write down that scenario b/c if I EVER see Lance Thomas physically take over a game I'm gonna lose my freaking mind. We should beat that team by a minimum of 30 points.

Supa "Lance is a lock for a minimum 8 and 5 next year" Dave

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Interesting - Kyle measured out to be only 6'7 in shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#LeBron-James-Skills-Academy-Recap-3293

ACCBBallFan
07-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Interesting - Kyle measured out to be only 6'7 in shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#LeBron-James-Skills-Academy-Recap-3293Apparently Nike did those measurements, and if you click the Kyle Singler link higher up in the article it says he is 6'9" 210 so 2 inches taller but weights 12 less pounds. So lots of variation as I recall hearing he had gotten up to 230 last year.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-13-2009, 07:21 AM
The 'link higher up' is more than likely just based on an estimate or just taken off our roster since Draft Express doesn't do any kind of measurements themselves.

This measurement was done in the last week so if it is correct, its current. 6'7 in shoes puts Kyle's real height at about 6'6.

The Gordog
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
The 'link higher up' is more than likely just based on an estimate or just taken off our roster since Draft Express doesn't do any kind of measurements themselves.

This measurement was done in the last week so if it is correct, its current. 6'7 in shoes puts Kyle's real height at about 6'6.

But then you look at this picture

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=2430

and he is very nearly as tall as MP1 and MP2. No way is Singler only 6'6, IMHO.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM

I always thought he looked shorter than Hansbrough when standing next to him... I don't know how accurately that picture can be used judge his height either. College rosters notoriously overstate players heights by an inch or two. He's still a big guy. More power to him if at 6'7 he's able to hold down the post... I would have guessed around 6'7 6'8 without shoes on, but I don't think you can rule that there is no way he's only 6'6.

If the measurement is legit its just interesting because it may slightly effect his stock (as at 6'9 he would be a good sized NBA SF but at 6'6 he would just be about average). I suppose we will see what he measures out at next year if he decides to go to pre-draft camp. He'll be a 1st rounder either way.

PSurprise
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM

You would think they would just bring the same scale and ruler with them to all of the camps...

miramar
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM

In that photo Kyle is standing in front of the others, so there may be some distortion from the camera angle. In the team photo he appears to be quite a bit shorter than Miles...

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22727

but a shade taller than Lance, even though both are listed as 6-8. Of course, since Duke listed DeMarcus at 6-4 and the NBA measured him at 6-0 in socks, anything is possible.

If Kyle is truly 6-6 and only 1" taller than our friend Greivis, then it makes perfect sense for him to play a traditional swingman role this year, John Havlicek style. So maybe this is good news if we want to consider that our beer mug if half full.

jv001
07-13-2009, 10:12 AM

If Kyle is 6'6", he may be the best rebounder for his size Duke has had in a long time. That means he and Jon are about the same height. No way! Go Duke!

Olympic Fan
07-13-2009, 10:57 AM
If Kyle is 6'6", he may be the best rebounder for his size Duke has had in a long time. That means he and Jon are about the same height. No way! Go Duke!

Actually, DeMarcus Nelson (who was somewhere between 6-0 and 6-4) would get the title as "the best rebounder for his size". In 2008, he ended up with one less rebound for the season than Singler (somewhere between 6-6 and 6-9).

El_Diablo
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I think I can resolve the discrepancy. Here is what he looked like when he was measured 6'8"

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/283667.jpg

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Images/Photos/9777aed1-76fa-48a7-9614-db1b5dac22be.jpg

And this is what he looks like now:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics10/200/TY/TYIHRGZTRNOGBSM.20081031164006.jpg

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics10/400/VJ/VJLGGNYIOSUPCIZ.20081103184539.jpg

dukelifer
07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually, DeMarcus Nelson (who was somewhere between 6-0 and 6-4) would get the title as "the best rebounder for his size". In 2008, he ended up with one less rebound for the season than Singler (somewhere between 6-6 and 6-9).

I think this conversation about players heights is in multiple threads but suffice it to say - DeMarc was and is 6' 1" tall on a good day and is perhaps the best rebounding guard at that size Duke has ever had. Singler is definitely only 6' 6" tall- and that more than anything will require him to be a more consistent scorer from the wing to get to the next level. Two years of practice at Duke ought to do it ;)

roywhite
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I think this conversation about players heights is in multiple threads but suffice it to say - DeMarc was and is 6' 1" tall on a good day and is perhaps the best rebounding guard at that size Duke has ever had. Singler is definitely only 6' 6" tall- and that more than anything will require him to be a more consistent scorer from the wing to get to the next level. Two years of practice at Duke ought to do it ;)

For a guy that I've seen listed consistently as 6'8" or occasionally 6'9" (even heard Coach K say that), no, I don't think he is definitely 6'6".

But he is what he is. He is definitely a good player, and key to our success.

NSDukeFan
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
For a guy that I've seen listed consistently as 6'8" or occasionally 6'9" (even heard Coach K say that), no, I don't think he is definitely 6'6".

I hope he can still rebound this year now that he is shorter ;)

Wander
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's some unreasonable expectations for you: I'll be mildly disappointed if I can't look you in the eye at the end of the year and tell you that Singler should be a first team all-American. I hope we have enough team success to get him in the NPOY conversation.

As for Lance, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's squeezed out of his starting job like Greg last year. That's tough to say without knowing just how ready to play Kelley and the Plumlees are, but most of us are expecting to play slower next year, and I don't think that's LT's game. He'll get double-digit minutes regardless because he'll be an important piece (particularly on defense) and we're thin in general, but he's not a lock for even 6 points per game, and K should not feature Lance in the offense as much as he does Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, or - I'm guessing on this one - Mason.

Kedsy
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
As for Lance, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's squeezed out of his starting job like Greg last year. That's tough to say without knowing just how ready to play Kelley and the Plumlees are, but most of us are expecting to play slower next year, and I don't think that's LT's game. He'll get major minutes regardless because we're thin in general, but he's not a lock for even 6 points per game, and K should not feature Lance in the offense as much as he does Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, or - I'm guessing on this one - Mason.

I expect Lance to start or not start based on matchups, but in most games to come off the bench. It won't be like Greg, however, because when Greg stopped starting his minutes went way down, and Lance is going to see a lot of minutes next year due to his defensive versatility.

As for Kyle, now that he's 6'6", voila! We have three guards again.

Wander
07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I expect Lance to start or not start based on matchups, but in most games to come off the bench. It won't be like Greg, however, because when Greg stopped starting his minutes went way down, and Lance is going to see a lot of minutes next year due to his defensive versatility.

Agreed. I don't expect him to take the dive in minutes that Greg did, at any point in the season, so not the best analogy.

MChambers
07-13-2009, 02:44 PM

He could be the answer at the point.

Bluedog
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Agreed. I don't expect him to take the dive in minutes that Greg did, at any point in the season, so not the best analogy.

Not really a fair comparison since Greg averaged 27.7 mpg his junior year. LT only averaged 18.6 mpg his junior year. It's a lot easier to "take [a] dive in minutes" when you average nearly 10 mpg more. Btw, Greg averaged 16.1 mpg last season.

Kedsy
07-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Not really a fair comparison since Greg averaged 27.7 mpg his junior year. LT only averaged 18.6 mpg his junior year. It's a lot easier to "take [a] dive in minutes" when you average nearly 10 mpg more. Btw, Greg averaged 16.1 mpg last season.

Your point makes sense, but personally I expect LT to start fewer games next year and at the same time see his minutes increase. If I'm right, he would clearly be on a different path from GP.

jv001
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM

I agree roywhite. He is the key to our success this year no matter what his height. As for his rebounding ability, I just look back at his freshman year where he had to defend the opponents #5 many games. At 6'6" I don't think he could have been as successful as he was in doing that. Go Duke!

ACCBBallFan
07-14-2009, 02:39 AM

Your point makes sense, but personally I expect LT to start fewer games next year and at the same time see his minutes increase. If I'm right, he would clearly be on a different path from GP.

I agree with all of this. IMO, Lance plays 20-25 MPG (much more than last year if he can stay out of FT and hit FTs) but usually does not start if Mason can play PF better which I think he can.

If Duke is playing a team with a big center where Zoubek/Miles can play a role for a combined 30 MPG with Mason the other 10, then Kelly sees more time at PF too with Lance the designated perimeter defender.

Against a really small team, Lance may play more PF and Mason more center. In those OOC games, Duke can win anyway and ought to stick with its bigs IMO to draw fouls on an already undersized team.

The exception would be Sims from Michigan and Monroe from G-town type of games where outcome may not be in doubt.

Double DD
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#LeBron-James-Skills-Academy-Player-Profiles-3294

DraftExpress has some write-ups on Singler, Barnes, and Dawkins from the LBJ Academy. Let's hope the scuttlebut on Barnes is old or faulty. The other obvious common thread in these 3 players evaluations and most Duke recruits is the competitiveness and maturity they apparently show.

SupaDave
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
-

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#LeBron-James-Skills-Academy-Player-Profiles-3294

DraftExpress has some write-ups on Singler, Barnes, and Dawkins from the LBJ Academy. Let's hope the scuttlebut on Barnes is old or faulty. The other obvious common thread in these 3 players evaluations and most Duke recruits is the competitiveness and maturity they apparently show.

From his draft review...

Looking forward, Singler will have a tough choice to make this coming offseason, as he currently projects as a mid-to-late first round pick if he declares. There are some questions about what position he will play at the next level, but combo forwards of similar physical builds such as Hedo Turkoglu have found niches in the league, regardless of position. Singler still needs a lot of work to develop his skill level to have that kind of impact, both with his ball-handling and his shooting, however teams will likely be attracted to his relentless work ethic, very high basketball IQ and strong role-player potential.

CDu
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
From his draft review...

Looking forward, Singler will have a tough choice to make this coming offseason, as he currently projects as a mid-to-late first round pick if he declares. There are some questions about what position he will play at the next level, but combo forwards of similar physical builds such as Hedo Turkoglu have found niches in the league, regardless of position. Singler still needs a lot of work to develop his skill level to have that kind of impact, both with his ball-handling and his shooting, however teams will likely be attracted to his relentless work ethic, very high basketball IQ and strong role-player potential.

That's a pretty accurate write-up from DraftExpress, in my opinion. Turkoglu is a nice approximation of the type of player that Singler could hope to become. Turkoglu is a better ballhandler and better shooter than Singler. But with time Singler could improve his ballhandling and his shooting.

Though I'd note that Turkoglu is pretty much a SF or point-forward rather than a combo forward. He's spent very little time at the PF spot, and only plays there when Orlando goes REALLY small. I think the same applies for Singler. He'll be a swingman or SF in the NBA - especially if he really is 6'6"/6'7" as suggested by the DraftExpress/Nike measurements.

Clipsfan
07-14-2009, 03:40 PM
That's a pretty accurate write-up from DraftExpress, in my opinion. Turkoglu is a nice approximation of the type of player that Singler could hope to become. Turkoglu is a better ballhandler and better shooter than Singler. But with time Singler could improve his ballhandling and his shooting.

Though I'd note that Turkoglu is pretty much a SF or point-forward rather than a combo forward. He's spent very little time at the PF spot, and only plays there when Orlando goes REALLY small. I think the same applies for Singler. He'll be a swingman or SF in the NBA - especially if he really is 6'6"/6'7" as suggested by the DraftExpress/Nike measurements.

Turkoglu is also around 6'10", which makes a big difference if Singler is only around 6'7" in shoes.

CDu
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Turkoglu is also around 6'10", which makes a big difference if Singler is only around 6'7" in shoes.

True. Of course, Turkoglu is listed at 6'10". We don't know if that's his true height. Remember Singler is listed as 6'8" or 6'9", so the height might or might not be a big difference. But if Singler is really 6'7" in shoes and Turkoglu is really 6'10", then I agree that is a big difference.