PDA

View Full Version : Duhon signs with Knicks

bludvlman
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=431071

OZZIE4DUKE
07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I grew up rooting for the knicks, back in the late 60's and early 70's - the championship years with Reed, Debuscher, Bradley, Frazier, Barnett, Russell, Monroe et. al. It will be fun to have an NBA team, sort of, to root for again.

Best of luck to Chris!

Edouble
07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
The author notes that the Kicks made their magical Finals run in 2001, when it was actually 1999. Maybe he was confusing it with Duhon's magical National Championship run in 2001.

Regardless, I wonder if Duhon was helped by D'Antoni's relationship with Coach K at all. I have to think that the two probably discussed Duhon at some point.

roywhite
07-04-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/07/02/2008-07-02_knicks_see_duhon_as_point_of_interest.html

A Daily News piece on Duhon and the Knicks. Chris has a great opportunity and I wish him well. NYC is not an easy place in terms of media scrutiny.

CameronBornAndBred
07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Best of luck, I hopes he makes the best of his new situation. I never had a reason to pay attention to them before, except to wonder how many more games they would let Isaiah remain as coach.

Carlos
07-04-2008, 05:09 PM
The comments after that article make it clear that Duhon's going to feel that special brand of New York love from the very start.

bludvlman
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I like Duhon and everything but he has no business making that much $$.

Jumbo
07-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Why would that be? It's not even the full mid-level exemption, and it's chump change for a potential starting point guard. There are plenty of lesser players earning a lot more.

juise
07-04-2008, 05:45 PM

I second Jumbo's comment and would add:
Have you seen Chris' lines (http://www.nba.com/games/20080207/CHIGSW/boxscore.html) when he gets consistent minutes?
When the Bulls were making playoff runs, did you see the stats showing how much better their W/L record was when he played significant minutes?

DevilHorse
07-04-2008, 09:07 PM
It's been a while since Vince Taylor was a Knick (last Knick dip into the talent pool). But I think Duhon will be a better fit. Hopefully, Duhon will prove to be a piece of the puzzle, or an element of the continuing enigma :). If things work out, Chris will become valueable after they sign a big free agent in 2 years (once they are below the salary cap) and then resign Duhon as their own Free Agent. Best of luck to Chris. It will be fun to watch him on and at MSG.

Do you think Chris will pass tips on to Duke point guards on how to run that Phoenix offense???;)

Larry
DevilHorse

moonpie23
07-04-2008, 10:50 PM
ok....maybe the riley stink has gone away a bit....maybe i can actually stomach the knicks a bit...

Carlos
07-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Why would that be? It's not even the full mid-level exemption, and it's chump change for a potential starting point guard. There are plenty of lesser players earning a lot more.

Actually, it appears that it is for the full mid-level exemption.
(http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix055753272jul05,0,7555166.story)

Hey, the Knicks just paid Stephon Marbury $22M last season to get them 14 ppg and 4.7 apg. Duhon will likely be making about a fourth of that so he's going to seem like a bargain.

Did I mention the Knicks paid Jared Jeffries $6M last season to give them 4 ppg and 3 rpg?

Constantstrain 81
07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I followed the Bulls the last four years (and it was hard). Duhon was seemingly the forgotten man on the bench each season until the record reached 0-9 or something like that. Then Chris would start and the Bulls would win. Even some of their early success in the playoffs came with an injured Duhon as the heart and soul of the team. It wasn't about numbers - it was about chemistry and defense. Then, another genius would come by, see the individual stats and decide that they could do better. Then the Bulls would lose. This year, they gave up on him almost entirely and they lost, lost, and lost some more.

Dang, now I have to root for the Knicks. Duhon will start and the Knicks will win. Duhon's a winner.

_Gary
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
I followed the Bulls the last four years (and it was hard). Duhon was seemingly the forgotten man on the bench each season until the record reached 0-9 or something like that. Then Chris would start and the Bulls would win. Even some of their early success in the playoffs came with an injured Duhon as the heart and soul of the team. It wasn't about numbers - it was about chemistry and defense. Then, another genius would come by, see the individual stats and decide that they could do better. Then the Bulls would lose. This year, they gave up on him almost entirely and they lost, lost, and lost some more.

Dang, now I have to root for the Knicks. Duhon will start and the Knicks will win. Duhon's a winner.

I definitely agree with you about the Bulls and winning with Duhon in the starting spot. It was a pretty common theme during his tenure there, or so it seemed to me. I guess the stats could prove me wrong, but darned if I didn't come to the same conclusion you did while watching Chicago over the last four years.

Gary

shadowfax336
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/BooJ34/2007/11/15/JACK_SEZ_Start_Duhon_duh

Over a 4 year period the team was at its best when Duhon started

JasonEvans
07-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Carlos' link seems broken, so here is one (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/05/sports/basketball/05knicks.html?ref=sports) from the NYTimes which also says Chris will get the full mid-level exemption from the Knicks, which should be something very close to $6 million per year for 2 years.

--Jason "Chris will be given the starting PG spot, everyone says, Starbury is gone" Evans

grahamdevil
07-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Lets hope Chris takes care of his future financially over the next few years.

denniden
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Duhon is most likey going to start IMO. His unselfishness on the court is something that D'Antnoni requires out of a point guard.

I do not like the Knicks one bit but I do get to see all their games on the tube so it will be nice to see the former Dukie play a lot.

Edouble
07-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Duhon is most likey going to start IMO. His unselfishness on the court is something that D'Antnoni requires out of a point guard.

Duhon is the new starting PG for the Knicks, according to all of the articles that have been linked on DBR. It seems the Knick's front office is gonna figure out what to do with Starbury later, but they've got his replacement all lined up.

dukemsu
07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Good for Chris. The situation for him here in Chicago was already toxic, and the arrival of Rose made it impossible.

Hopefully, Chris makes the most of this chance. It is a big one with the chance to run the Suns offense. He had his share of off-the-court difficulties in Chicago. Hopefully it is all behind him.

dukemsu

Huh?
07-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Apparantly D'Antoni knows what he is doing, Duhon is a steal.

DukeDevilDeb
07-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Apparantly D'Antoni knows what he is doing, Duhon is a steal.

he can control his off-court behavior and can act responsibly toward the Knicks and their requirements. Frankly, Chris had a lot more chances in Chicago than many people knew about, and he blew them time after time after time.

Wouldn't hurt him to go on the wagon either.;)

Billy Dat
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
If Duhon's weakness is clubbing, then he is truly being thrown into the fire in the Big Apple. The Knicks practice facility is in suburban Westchester county (home of MANY a Duke student past and present, including Elton Brand) so most of the family men Knicks, and Yankees, and Rangers chose to live in the burbs. In fact, Clyde Frazier was probably the last Knick of note to live in NYC and drink in all the options available to a young famous sports star. Even now, Derek Jeter is the only high wattage NYC sports star that makes Mahattan his home. Anyway, maybe Clyde can pull young Chris aside and caution him on the sirens song of too many long nghts...that is, if Chris can decipher Frazier's trademark Roget's-aided vocal flow....indutibaly!

greybeard
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I think that its much better than even money that Marbury starts and improves dramatically. Wouldn't be surprised if D'A has him playing soccer this summer either, so he can meld with the Italian picked with their one. ;)