PDA

View Full Version : (Old) recruiting question

ItalianDevil
07-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi,
maybe people was tricked by my last thread title and my request passed by.
Maybe someone still remembers which schools we did beat in some of our greatest recruits.
Just a curiosity, I remember reading in 'A season is a lifetime' by Bill Brill that the finalists for Laett were Duke, Holes, and Virginia, is this correct ?
I only remember the battles starting from the mid-90s, with :
Battier, Duke over Michigan
Brand, Duke over UK and Holes
J-Will, Duke over Rutgers
Boozer, Duke over UCLA
Who did we beat for GHill, G-Man, Dunleavy ?

Thanks for your replies

Marco 'Plenty of 9Fs:p' Vanzulli

roywhite
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Grant Hill chose Duke over UNC (and others of course, including Georgetown). If I recall, he grew up as a UNC fan, and his father Calvin Hill had a friendship with Dean Smith. But Coach K connected with Grant, and he began to favor Duke.

Apparently, the Hills invited Coach Smith to dinner at their home as Grant was going through the recruiting process. Grant made a remark something like, "As I saw Coach Smith drive away, I realized I was going to Duke." The start of a long, beautiful relationship. :)

jimsumner
07-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Grant has always told me that he grew up a Georgetown fan. But the Heels did want him. Gminski, IIRC visited both Duke and UNC in tandem with Mike O'Koren. Win some, lose some. Dunleavy picked Duke over the Heels.

jimsumner
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Triva question. First recruit to turn down Dean Smith for Mike Krzyzewski.

dkbaseball
07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Triva question. First recruit to turn down Dean Smith for Mike Krzyzewski.

Ferry?

jimsumner
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep. Danny Ferry.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-04-2008, 06:50 PM
G Gminski, IIRC visited both Duke and UNC in tandem with Mike O'Koren.

Gminski graduated from HS a year early, much to everyone's surprise except Bill Foster and the Duke staff. I'll yield to Jim's memory of Gman visiting the holes, but I don't think they were a finalist as I remember hearing we stole him before anyone else was in the running. Or something very similar to that.

Uncle Drew
07-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Yep. Danny Ferry.

Jim I thought Maryland was hot after Ferry and it was between Duke and MD. Seems I recall College Park doing something over the top on his recuiting visit there trying to sway him?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi,
maybe people was tricked by my last thread title and my request passed by.
Maybe someone still remembers which schools we did beat in some of our greatest recruits.
Just a curiosity, I remember reading in 'A season is a lifetime' by Bill Brill that the finalists for Laett were Duke, Holes, and Virginia, is this correct ?
I only remember the battles starting from the mid-90s, with :
Battier, Duke over Michigan
Brand, Duke over UK and Holes
J-Will, Duke over Rutgers
Boozer, Duke over UCLA
Who did we beat for GHill, G-Man, Dunleavy ?

Thanks for your replies

Marco 'Plenty of 9Fs:p' Vanzulli
Go back to Vic Bubas's first major recruit. Art Heyman had already agreed to play for Frank McGuire before Vic became the new Duke coach. Much of the ill will between Duke and Carolina in the early sixties is attributed to this change of plans.