PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Finals

91.92.01DUKE
07-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Who will win, Rafa, or Roger?

EarlJam
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Who will win, Rafa, or Roger?

Federer was humiliated in Paris by Nadal. And even though Nadal meant well, I bet what stung Federer the most is when Nadal apologized to Federer for beating him so badly.

No WAY Federer loses after all that. He wants to eat Nadal for lunch.

Rafa will give him a fight, but Federer will prevail.

Federer wins 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

-EarlJam (who is working his way towards the goal of being the oldest Grand Slam tennis winner in history)

DevilAlumna
07-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Well, so far it's a 5-vote unanimous decision that Roger wins in 4.

91.92.01DUKE
07-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Rafa almost lost the 2nd set against Schuettler.

91.92.01DUKE
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
It is official we will have a Rafa-Fed final.

dkbaseball
07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe someone who follows the sport more closely can correct me, but I'm thinking that, if Fed and Rafa are on their games we might see some of the best tennis ever played in this final.

It's amazing to me how Fed has bounced back from getting destroyed on clay just short weeks ago, but he looks to be playing as well as I've seen him. Maybe abandoning his experiment with having a coach for the clay season and trusting his own genius has gotten him straightened out. Maybe he's finally completely recovered from mono. He looks to be in great shape, in his lithe sort of way.

Nadal is just a force of nature. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with that combination of power and endurance. He just keeps coming at you like a jackhammer.

Again, please correct me, but I don't remember the greats of the past having quite as much in the way of shot-making ability and physical tools as these two. I think they are playing the best tennis I have ever seen.

Karl Beem
07-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe someone who follows the sport more closely can correct me, but I'm thinking that, if Fed and Rafa are on their games we might see some of the best tennis ever played in this final.

It's amazing to me how Fed has bounced back from getting destroyed on clay just short weeks ago, but he looks to be playing as well as I've seen him. Maybe abandoning his experiment with having a coach for the clay season and trusting his own genius has gotten him straightened out. Maybe he's finally completely recovered from mono. He looks to be in great shape, in his lithe sort of way.

Nadal is just a force of nature. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with that combination of power and endurance. He just keeps coming at you like a jackhammer.

Again, please correct me, but I don't remember the greats of the past having quite as much in the way of shot-making ability and physical tools as these two. I think they are playing the best tennis I have ever seen.

They have no competition. The men's game is very weak, unlike the Sampras era when it was as strong as it has ever been.

pamtar
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Federer was humiliated in Paris by Nadal. And even though Nadal meant well, I bet what stung Federer the most is when Nadal apologized to Federer for beating him so badly.

No WAY Federer loses after all that. He wants to eat Nadal for lunch.

Rafa will give him a fight, but Federer will prevail.

Federer wins 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.

-EarlJam (who is working his way towards the goal of being the oldest Grand Slam tennis winner in history)

Way to call it EJ! ;) (Dont feel bad, I had Federer in 4 too.)

bfree
07-06-2008, 02:38 PM
What. a. tiebreak.

micah75
07-06-2008, 02:38 PM

I agree. They're just now beginning the 5th set after Federer won the previous 2 on tiebreaks. Just some incredible power tennis on display. What an entertaining performance.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow, rain delay and 100% square tied up, even the game score. Who has the advantage coming back? That has to be frustrating to be in it like that and get forced off the court.

Karl Beem
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Nadal, Sr. was hilarious.:)

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2008, 04:17 PM
150% awesome match!

And amazing amount of grace Federer had in losing, and Nadal in winning. Nice complements from both, you can see the respect.

blazindw
07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Outstanding match from the both of them. I think we're seeing one of the great tennis rivalries between Nadal and Federer right now. We'll probably see them again at the U.S. Open.

BobbyFan
07-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Seems your thinking was correct. Might be the best match I've ever seen...absolutely phenomenal. Federer and Nadal are clearly 2 of the greatest ever.

JasonEvans
07-06-2008, 05:19 PM
That final set, especially the final half dozen games, were played at a ridiculously high level. The shotmaking and clutch performances -- wow!!

That
was
a
treat!!

--Jason " speechless " Evans

pamtar
07-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Great match! This is why tennis is my fav pro sport to watch!

So is Nadal the new world's #1? That's two slams in a row. Federer looked pretty pissed. Nadal is younger, quicker, and is starting to get REALLY good in all aspects of his game. Dare I say it, he's becoming "Federesque."

micah75
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Great match! This is why tennis is my fav pro sport to watch!

So is Nadal the new world's #1? That's two slams in a row."

McEnroe was asked that question by his announcing partner and he answered in the affirmative.

Nadal is younger, quicker, and is starting to get REALLY good in all aspects of his game.

And yet he still has areas in which he can improve, which is scary. His first "serve and volley" didn't take place until the final set. Not sure why. Also, he had far fewer Aces than Federer, although with his arm strength I suspect that will change in time. Nadal is entering his prime at the age of 22, Federer I believe, is almost 27.

Both were making incredibly tough shots well behind the baseline for winners, not just saves. They were pretty evenly matched, imo. Neither seemed to tire during the marathon.

Did everyone get to see McEnroe gush during interviews with both players, thanking them for allowing him to witness the greatest match he had ever seen? I remember the great Borg/McEnroe matches, especially from '80 when Borg won the French and Wimbledon back-to-back. I don't know, I could be wrong, but my perception is that Nadal and Federer took tennis to a whole new level. It should be fun to watch this rivalry unfold, assuming Federer has a few strong years left in the tank.

dukemomLA
07-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Wow. Wow. Wow! Perhaps the greatest match ever. (And I'm old enough to have seen quite a few). Two players at the top of their game, battling it out for almost 5 hours. Could have gone either way. Amazing hours of tennis.

brevity
07-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Unless I missed something during the rain delays, all they talked about was this vast void from 1980 until today. Ever since Bjorn Borg, no one had achieved this so-called "double" of winning both the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year.

Problem is, it's happened SIX times between then and now. Click the link in my signature to learn more about what NBC so clearly missed.

And by the way, it was a very good match, worth getting up at 6am on a Sunday here on the West Coast.

BlueDevilBaby
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Unless I missed something during the rain delays, all they talked about was this vast void from 1980 until today. Ever since Bjorn Borg, no one had achieved this so-called "double" of winning both the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year.

Problem is, it's happened SIX times between then and now. Click the link in my signature to learn more about what NBC so clearly missed.

And by the way, it was a very good match, worth getting up at 6am on a Sunday here on the West Coast.

They clearly were limiting their comments to the men's game, but I agree with you that they should have pointed out those women's accomplishments.

Never seen anything like that match. Nadal reminded me of Borg, hitting those fantastic low, angled, topspin passing shots. Just unreal play from both.

Carlos
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey, kudos to dkbaseball for his "we might see some of the best tennis ever played in this final" remark. Indeed, best tennis ever may even be an understatement if that's possible. McEnroe made a comment that as a serve and volley guy, he couldn't believe he was seeing this type of tennis being played on grass.

Given dkbaseball's prognostic talents shown here I am now expecting Czyz to average a double-double this season.

Also, an important programming note, ESPN Classic will replay the match tonight at 7 PM. If you missed it, even if you're not a tennis fan (in which case you would be unlikely to actually be reading this thread) it is worth dedicating 5 hours to watching.

Outstanding match from the both of them. I think we're seeing one of the great tennis rivalries between Nadal and Federer right now. We'll probably see them again at the U.S. Open.

I'm not sure that's a given since Nadal has traditionally not played as well on the hard courts at the US Open.

dkbaseball
07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Given dkbaseball's prognostic talents shown here I am now expecting Czyz to average a double-double this season.

If K gives him the minutes and a role in the offense, he'll put up the numbers. Since I'm on a roll, prognosticatively speaking, let me go ahead and swing for the fences one time here: Czyz will start at the 5 for Duke in the 2009 final four.

And let me join the general chorus of the thread: That Wimbledon final was what sport is all about. Those two guys are great, great athletes and incredible competitors. The focus and stamina over five hours was simply amazing. When a hard-boiled New Yorker like McEnroe (who's rather intimately familiar with great tennis) gets all mushy, you know you've seen something special.

With regard to the focus, it's worth noting that Federer had to overcome a raging temper on the court when he was younger. Now he embodies class every moment he's out there. Nadal has taken physicality in that game to an almost superhuman level. It looked like he was going into a trance before he served. Just an unstoppable force.

ArnieMc
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
IWhen a hard-boiled New Yorker like McEnroe (who's rather intimately familiar with great tennis) gets all mushy, you know you've seen something special.Approximate quotes:

McEnroe: "Thank you for letting me practice with you. It was an honor."

Nadal: "It was an honor to practice with you."

McEnroe: "Thank you for lying."

weezie
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Although we're a basketball site, I see the championship match was referenced on the main page.
I didn't want either one of them to lose yesterday. I had tears in my eyes at the end. And, watching John McEnroe ask Federer for a hug was just deeply touching.
Wow...I wonder what people who don't like sports do with themselves?

camion
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
It is seldom that a match lives up to the hype. This one did; it was truly a wonderful match. Both players made incredible shots and neither player could make even a small mistake without paying a price.

Nadal won, barely, but both players played like champions.

elvis14
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I think the last time enjoyed a men's tennis match as much as I enjoyed yesterday's final, McEnroe was probably playing. What an incredible match between two true champions.

Karl Beem
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I think the last time enjoyed a men's tennis match as much as I enjoyed yesterday's final, McEnroe was probably playing. What an incredible match between two true champions.

I guess you missed the Sampras/Agassi era.

77devil
07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
With regard to the focus, it's worth noting that Federer had to overcome a raging temper on the court when he was younger. Now he embodies class every moment he's out there.

Interestingly, so was the case with Bjorn Borg in both respects. They both became very stoic on the court.

TillyGalore
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I watched bits of the match on Sunday and the replay of the match on ESPN Classic last night. How is it that Dick Enberg and Patrick McEnroe called the match for ESPN as NBC aired it on Sunday? Am a little confused.

billybreen
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Would everyone believe me if I said I picked Nadal in 5? I wasn't around to make it official, but I felt like this would be his breakthrough championship. As fired up as Fed must have been after the French Open thrashing, you had to worry about his confidence and focus. All his interviews in the last week sounded overly defensive.

So, how many more Grand Slam final match-ups do we expect from these two? They already have more (6) than anyone else in the Open era. Is 12 to much to ask for?

Bluedog
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
That was definitely a classic. Federer is such a class act and it was a shame that somebody had to lose. After the match, when he put on his sweater, he looked shockingly clean I wouldn't have guessed he just played a 5 hour match. Nadal on the other hand....looked a bit more sweaty. It's just amazing how great in shape these guys are. I wonder how many miles they sprint in an average match. It's just ridiculous to me that they can have enough energy at the end of the fifth set to be playing that high quality tennis. Just incredible.

They have no competition. The men's game is very weak, unlike the Sampras era when it was as strong as it has ever been.

I don't know about that. I'd agree that there was more parity in the Sampras era, but I'd bet money that Djokovic would beat Chang (who was ranked as high as #2 in the world) and many other top players. It's just Federer and Nadal are so much better than everybody else - although on hard courts that superiority is not as clear.

Well, I'd argue that men's and women's tennis are two separate sports and statistics should be kept separate. Just as I would say for basketball. But I can see your argument that they didn't specifically state "men's tennis" but it is inferred. I also believe it's become a lot easier to win the French and Wimbledon in the same year just because of the evolution of the game and racquet technology. It used to be that the Spanish (or other country where people primarily play on clay) players who had high loopy balls, extreme stamina, lots of spin, lots of patience, and great mobility would win the French. Then a hard-serving, going-for-it-all type player would win Wimbledon. In women's tennis, it was much easier to win both because stamina/patience is not as significant in a 2 out of 3 set match and women's serves are much weaker so don't play as significant of a role at Wimbledon. Heck, Martina Hingis, while a great player, routinely would hit serves around 70 mph and won Wimbledon. Obviously, that wouldn't cut it in the men's game, so it took two very different types of players to win the French and Wimbledon and it's very rare somebody can make the adjustment that quickly and has strengths in both areas. Now with increased racquet technology, the focus away from a serve-and-volley importance at Wimbledon, etc. it has become slightly easier to win both - but I still think what Nadal and Federer have done by dominating these events is pretty remarkable.

Karl Beem
07-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Chang was #2 once, and rarely in the top ten. Besides Pete and Agassi, you had Becker, Edberg, Lendl, Muster, Engvist, Courier, Ivanisevic, Stich, Kafelnikof, Rafter, Krajicek, Henman, Chang, Martin, Rusedski, Korda, Medvedev, Rios, etc.

No way either Federer or Nadal beats Pete at Wimbledon staying back.

elvis14
07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I guess you missed the Sampras/Agassi era.

Nope, I didn't. I was a big Agassi fan. I loved the way to took the ball early and used such great angles to win points. Then he'd wear guys out. Problem was that when Sampras was on his game, nobody could touch him, not even Agassi and that was frustrating for an Agassi fan. This years final was one for the ages.

cato
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
No way either Federer or Nadal beats Pete at Wimbledon staying back.

I wonder if Sampras would agree with you? Somehow, I doubt it.

Karl Beem
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I wonder if Sampras would agree with you? Somehow, I doubt it.

I've got news for you - many consider Sampras the greatest of them all. Lots were about to hand that title to Roger, despite his lack of competition, now he's losing to Nadal. Is Nadal the greatest? What happens in 2 years if someone starts beating him?

How many times did Roger miss because of a bad bounce off that awful court? He even swung and missed once.

cato
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I've got news for you - many consider Sampras the greatest of them all. Lots were about to hand that title to Roger, despite his lack of competition, now he's losing to Nadal. Is Nadal the greatest? What happens in 2 years if someone starts beating him?

How many times did Roger miss because of a bad bounce off that awful court? He even swung and missed once.

Thank you for the history lesson. But Sampras does not seem to share your lack of respect for Federer. In fact, they have something of a mutual appreciation society. Here's one example (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3125171):

Federer said he thought Sampras could beat the top five players on a fast surface. Sampras predicted Federer could beat his record of most Grand Slam wins "if not next year, pretty soon."

"He's a great, great player. He's got things in his game that I couldn't do," Sampras said.

The only real conclusion that we can draw is that it is too bad that Federer and Sampras hit their prime 10 years apart. Luckily we don't have the same issue with Federer and Nadal.

Karl Beem
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the history lesson. But Sampras does not seem to share your lack of respect for Federer. In fact, they have something of a mutual appreciation society. Here's one example (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3125171):

The only real conclusion that we can draw is that it is too bad that Federer and Sampras hit their prime 10 years apart. Luckily we don't have the same issue with Federer and Nadal.

I'm stunned that you think I'm belittling Federer, I'm not. You're right, we really can't compare players of different eras. If Roger played during Pete's prime, he would have to serve and volley, especially at Wimbledon.

Bluedog
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm stunned that you think I'm belittling Federer, I'm not. You're right, we really can't compare players of different eras. If Roger played during Pete's prime, he would have to serve and volley, especially at Wimbledon.

IIRC, Federer served and volleyed during his first Wimbledon championship all the time. Didn't he? I'm not trying to argue with you here (tone is hard to express online). I'm agreeing with you in that Federer did have to serve and volley just five years ago. Unless my memory is failing me...but I seem to recall him serving and volleying on almost every serve. Seems like a different player almost. I mean, Federer did beat Sampras in 2001 at Wimbledon, ending his dominance over the last 8 years (although he only got to the quarterfinals that year). I'm not saying that this means Federer is better than Sampras - just saying he did adjust his style.