Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    A win?
    Well, of course!! But I am thinking about tomorrow and the next day. Seriously, while we didn't have a good shooting night VT DID leave at least 16 point blank range points hanging out there. They didn't finish well.
    I don't think we can count on that happening from here on out.... if 8 of those points would have fallen, the game would have been very different in the last several minutes.
    While we rightfully lament our disappointing shooting from 3 point land, VT should be kicking themselves in the butt for leaving so many points in the paint where USUALLY a team has a MUCH higher percent of makes.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    I'm trying to take something positive away from this game tonight and am having a difficult time thinking of much. Mason's free throw shooting was a high point though.
    We need to step it up tomorrow if we hope to advance to the final.
    Don't know if Miami or FS will leave 16 points at the front of the rim.
    It was an ugly game, and Duke was out of sync on offense all night. Something positive is we won ugly in a slow down game, when we were no where close to firing on all cylinders. Survive and advance.

In fairness to Andre, he played most of his minutes at the 4. Had to be awkward. Still, he made some positive plays even though he missed his shot attempts. His defense was serviceable, as he provided valuable minutes with Miles sitting with the 2 fouls. Not bad given the circumstances.

I thought we should have gone to Mason more on the block. We did not work hard enough to get him open, and then get him the ball. Mason not getting enough touches, combined with Seth having a really quiet night offensively, made for a really weird game on the offensive end. Tech played 5 on 4, daring Tyler to shoot. He made just enough shots to make them pay. When he missed, Tech could not capitalize either.

We live to see another day. Let's pull for Miami and see what happens.

NEWS ALERT: THE NCAA HAS DECLARED DURAND SCOTT IN-ELIGIBLE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. INTERESTING.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    It would still have been nice to see more inside-out play. I 'm not sure why we're not seeing that. Minimal entry passes all night.
    I have posted before that I never cease to be dismayed by the inability of perimeter players to make a simple 45-degree entry pass. Andre rarely even tries it, Seth, after seeming to be thinking about it for a few seconds, usually decides not to, Tyler does do it some, Austin rarely - though in his case I'm confident he is capable of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Let me help you, the team won in a one-in-done tournament. Always a positive. Style points don't matter nearly as much as Ws.
    My comments had nothing to do with "style" points. Everything to do with what we may face tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I know Miles is better. I think that Hairston's rebound rates are a reflection more of his minutes played than his rebounding prowess.

Because he goes after it so hard, he tends to pick up fouls. If he played the same # of minutes as Kelly, I think his rebounds would suffer because of foul trouble.

What are the foul rates between Hairston and Kelly?

EDIT: I know that "same number of minutes" doesn't make sense, because foul trouble means he'd not play as many... but you get my point.
    Hairston certainly fouls more frequently, though I don't know that that is necessarily a fair explanation for rebound rates. There are lots of ways to commit fouls, and Hairston finds them all.

More to the point, I don't know that Kelly would have helped on the boards in this one. Many of VT's early rebounds were due to our bigs having to help on drivers and thus being forced out of rebounding position. And others were due to some crazy bounces. After the first 10-12 minutes, I thought we actually did really well on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If he does, look out. He'll scrappy like crazy on the defensive end, and then be an actual threat on offense. Yikes.
    6.9 ppg, 5.3 apg, 39% from 3, 2.5 steals per game... would love to see those numbers from Tyler.

Would be very 96-97ish.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...p?playerid=380

Aside from shooting percentage, it was a pretty evenly played game - we shot 37% and they shot 30%, plus we got 6 steals! Amazing to win when Thornton is your leading shot taker with 16, but he had to take those open looks.

No one has mentioned Austin winning that foot race for the and-1, the play that essentially sealed the game. That was really exciting. The Curry lob to Mason was also big and stemmed the run they were making. Also - how nice was Hairston's open court lay-up off that frenetic defensive possession - he's never shown that kind of control and poise, made me hopeful for the future. We, too, missed a lot of chippies at the rim - I often find myself screaming "FINISH!" at the screen.

It wasn't pretty but we showed a lot of heart and got the W.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Aside from shooting percentage, it was a pretty evenly played game - we shot 37% and they shot 30%, plus we got 6 steals! Amazing to win when Thornton is your leading shot taker with 16, but he had to take those open looks.

No one has mentioned Austin winning that foot race for the and-1, the play that essentially sealed the game. That was really exciting. The Curry lob to Mason was also big and stemmed the run they were making. Also - how nice was Hairston's open court lay-up off that frenetic defensive possession - he's never shown that kind of control and poise, made me hopeful for the future. We, too, missed a lot of chippies at the rim - I often find myself screaming "FINISH!" at the screen.

It wasn't pretty but we showed a lot of heart and got the W.
    That Rivers layup at the end was big... iced the game.

It also sent Len Elmore into a tizzy about Duke getting away with a foul, as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    No one has mentioned Austin winning that foot race for the and-1, the play that essentially sealed the game. That was really exciting.
    Not to be lost in that was that the guy who finished second in that race to the ball was Mason. That's desire to win right there. Two guys beating VT to the ball on a 75-foot race for what would be the deciding bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    That Rivers layup at the end was big... iced the game.

It also sent Len Elmore into a tizzy about Duke getting away with a foul, as a bonus.
    So glad I got to listen to Brando and Alexander rather than Elmore.

The guards did a nice job on the glass:

Curry - 6
    Rivers - 5
    Thornton - 4
    Dawkins - 3

That's two more than the Plumlees and Hairston combined.

Rivers also never sat down.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 03-09-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: My math was wrong

take the win...get a good night's sleep...channel the zen....play on...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So glad I got to listen to Brando and Alexander rather than Elmore.
    Agreed - I was actually able to get both games, so as soon as I saw Elmore and Patrick were on ESPN, I flipped over*.

*Actually I had to miss the first 30 minutes, so I DVR'd both channels to make sure one of them wasn't blacked out. Of course that meant I couldn't record Jeopardy! tonight =(

Kept waiting for us to land the knockout punch, but it never came. I'm happy to walk away with the unanimous decision and keep the belt.

Loved Tyler's hardnosed play and it's nice to see an announcer give him credit for it. I guess it has something to do with having actually played the game and understanding that it's not all about stats. Tyler did shoot several that he looked rushed on and hopefully we won't be in that same situation tomorrow.

Mason, Miles, and Josh were banging down low and it's nice to see our bigs play like they're bigs. A couple of bad fouls, but the effort was definitely there.

Seth and Austin did just enough to get us through this game. Think Austin got the benefit of several close calls, maybe things will even out the remainder of the season for all the calls that went against him earlier this year, where he was decked and came away with nothing to show for it.

Andre did his thing again, hopefully he's saving it for tomorrow or Sunday. He did snag several boards and seemed willing to mix it up, which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Agreed - I was actually able to get both games, so as soon as I saw Elmore and Patrick were on ESPN, I flipped over*.

*Actually I had to miss the first 30 minutes, so I DVR'd both channels to make sure one of them wasn't blacked out. Of course that meant I couldn't record Jeopardy! tonight =(
    Crud. The game was on a different station than ESPN???

Soooooo would have changed the channel.

Tyler

Something I noticed tonight is Tyler's straight ahead speed. He can really motor. I hope he can improve his lateral speed and speed with the ball. Like someone said and improve that outside shot and he would be terrific. GoDuke!

Hey, Tyler is terrific. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Think Austin got the benefit of several close calls, maybe things will even out the remainder of the season for all the calls that went against him earlier this year, where he was decked and came away with nothing to show for it.
    All game, the refs were calling blocks instead of charges. If I am not mistaken, the only charge they called was very odd, when one of the VT big had the ball and kind of cleared our on Tyler under our hoop and they called a charge. We may have drawn another charge, too, but the whistles were going all block tonight, which I kind of liked.

Winning a tournament game = a good thing.

Winning despite shooting poorly = also a good thing.

No complaints

Tournament time brings out a lot of close games. We won ours, but Syracuse didn't and Kansas is in trouble and may lose. Kentucky won but it was a close game.

What worries me about tonight is the high PT from a shortened bench. I thought they looked tired at the end after banging all game long. It would be great to get Andre going offensively. The past few games can't have helped his confidence.