Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    well isn't that special. time to follow the money
    This is really a bad comment. He choose UCONN over Duke and now he is following the money? Perhaps playing time is a big reason he choose UCONN? I guess you wouldn't consider that as a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    This is really a bad comment. He choose UCONN over Duke and now he is following the money? Perhaps playing time is a big reason he choose UCONN? I guess you wouldn't consider that as a reason?
    Well, playing time would have been WIDE open at Kansas. But I don't disagree with your comment in principle.

From all accounts, this is a kid who wanted to go to Duke but we ended up backing off after our rushed due diligence period. So, hope the best for him despite his going to UConn... Calhoun usually does a good job with superlong wings like him, he could be a good one in a couple of years.

Actually, I don't think the poster is really a Duke fan hence the nickname Texas and I remember him being on here talking about Duke/Texas so perhaps he was upset that he didn't choose the Longhorns. Just about every Duke fan here seemed over the situation.

quite a bizarre recruitment don't you think? did he ever visit UCONN? yes i went to texas.

I'm not sure what Duke had to do with that comment, but I agree that there's no real reason to believe DeAndre was paid (other than the fact that UConn has recently been implicated in providing under-the-table benefits to a recruit). I know that such a practice is somewhat common in Chapel Hill now thanks to Butch Davis, but of course, not all schools are doing it. Maybe, as a Texas fan, he's somewhat irritated that he chose UConn over Texas after (1) originally decommitting from Texas and (2) later apparently narrowing his final two to Texas and Kansas...and just made a somewhat-tongue-in-cheek comment.

Anyway, I don't really see how playing time could really be a determining factor in choosing UConn over Texas. Or Kansas. Maybe his academics were still somewhat of a red flag, and Self and Barnes passed while Calhoun decided to go for it. The National Championship probably had a lot to do with it though too, and Calhoun is a solid recruiter, so it's not totally shocking. But it does feel like it kind of came out of left field after he supposedly narrowed it down to Texas and Kansas.

I thought uCon was down to 10 schollies (reduced per sanctions and for abysmal academics), is there one available for DD this late?

Duke?

With all the teams he was rumored to have been considering, I am still waiting on how a comment from a Texas grad implicated Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    With all the teams he was rumored to have been considering, I am still waiting on how a comment from a Texas grad implicated Duke.
    Or how he chose UConn over Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Or how he chose UConn over Duke?
    because duke isn't right for everyone
    1200. DDMF.

I have no doubt that DeAndre has talent, otherwise there wouldn't be so much interest in his recruitment. Now that he has pledged to play at UConn I still don't see him starting over Jeremy Lamb or Roscoe Smith. Obviously Lamb had a break out NCAA tournament and Smith was very good defensively + Niels Giffey was good early in the year for UConn and had an effective Championship game. So I don't think Daniel's starts, but he will see minutes, IMO probably more at UConn in 2011-12 than he would have at Duke.

In addition, I have a very good feeling about Silent G and Murphy being able to produce if they earn playing time.

Good luck to him, is this Calhoun's first commitment since the Championship game?

Agree Completey

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I know. My point was that he didn't choose UConn over Duke, he chose UConn over Texas and Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    well isn't that special. time to follow the money
    I actually think Kong is highlighting a real (though minor) issue here. Whether or not the first post was by a Duke fan or not, the fact of the matter is that had the comment been made about Duke, the post would have been removed and infractions would have been handed out. Right? (Or am I wrong? I'm honestly not sure.) But occasionally I see a post that makes it seem as if the board rules against rumor-mongering apply only if the discussion does not concern certain big name programs, such as UCONN or UK or even UNC. I don't know if anyone else agrees, but sometimes I wish the rules were applied a little more evenly. Though like I said, the problem is a pretty small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I actually think Kong is highlighting a real (though minor) issue here. Whether or not the first post was by a Duke fan or not, the fact of the matter is that had the comment been made about Duke, the post would have been removed and infractions would have been handed out. Right? (Or am I wrong? I'm honestly not sure.) But occasionally I see a post that makes it seem as if the board rules against rumor-mongering apply only if the discussion does not concern certain big name programs, such as UCONN or UK or even UNC. I don't know if anyone else agrees, but sometimes I wish the rules were applied a little more evenly. Though like I said, the problem is a pretty small one.
    I wouldn't say it's rumor mongering, more like slander/libel ... Of course, truth is an absolute defense to both

DD has never been to the UCONN campus

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/ju...rumors/?sports