Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Just My Opinion....

I have no sources to back this up, just a gut feeling......if Donovan goes to UK, so does Patterson. He seems to like the school Kentucky, but the coach Donovan, so he would have both if that scenario plays out. Hopefully, I'm wrong and ends up at Duke.

I agree for the most part CMS, but I wonder if the Tubby fiasco soured him on the Kentucky fans. He might be wondering that if they ran out Tubby, what will they think of him if he doesn't bring them national success? He'd be the most high profile recruit to come to UK in recent years, and the pressure on him to deliver would be intense.

Either way, I'm not counting on him to arrive here, although it would be nice.

Danger Will Robinson-Danger

Nick Calathes, the 6-5 McD's AA who is a pass first PG said that he would follow Donovan "whereever" in an article I read recently (don't have link). Nick has a highly touted 6-8 wing/pf high school teammate also headed to FL, but that might follow Nick and Billy to UK. Suddenly, UK might be talented enough to sway PP (who I agree seems to have soured on the UK fan base). Donovan could pitch PP a scenario where he would be filling a recruiting class (UK already bringing in a 7 ft center) eerily similiar to the current Noah, Horford, et al class that would be 2-3 year away from being a national title contender.

Donovan to UK might not be that great for Duke.

Patrick Yates

Patterson Slam Dunk Contest

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...76/1002/SPORTS

I didn't know he was such an athletic leaper.

I believe that's Singler with the videocamera in the background of the picture. Could be wrong.

I like this last line:

"They need a shot-blocking contest," Patterson said. "I can win that."

Sounds like he would fit right in on our defense. (yes... & our offense, too.)

Patrick, we need you... but more importantly, we want you to come to Duke. The fit is just too perfect to pass up.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

It would be incredibly nice to get this kid. K needs to work some magic.

yeah sure

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...76/1002/SPORTS

I didn't know he was such an athletic leaper.
    Yeah sure, only cuz you don't see the trampoline underneath him!

Pat you're great! We already love you, please come to Durham!!!!!

And how nice that he doesn't "feel like" stuffing the ball in anyone's face, preferring to just lay it in. Sounds like he believes in team ball and getting back on defense.
    Please come to Duke, Patrick!

PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career. I think he can be that kind of player at Duke.

I'm already a big PP fan. I know he is seriously thinking about his decision and which ever way he goes, I'll still be a fan. I hope he comes to Duke, but I know he'll make the best decision for himself and his future.

Smart kid IMO. He's one of those players I can retired up Cameron's rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Nick Calathes, the 6-5 McD's AA who is a pass first PG said that he would follow Donovan "whereever" in an article I read recently (don't have link). Nick has a highly touted 6-8 wing/pf high school teammate also headed to FL, but that might follow Nick and Billy to UK. Suddenly, UK might be talented enough to sway PP (who I agree seems to have soured on the UK fan base). Donovan could pitch PP a scenario where he would be filling a recruiting class (UK already bringing in a 7 ft center) eerily similiar to the current Noah, Horford, et al class that would be 2-3 year away from being a national title contender.

Donovan to UK might not be that great for Duke.

Patrick Yates
    I just read that article as well (it's in the McDonald's AA game thread) and during the same interview I think that Calathes said that he'd have strongly considered going pro straight from HS. I doubt that he's planning on spending multiple years in school.

I also found it amusing that Mayo said that he always planned on going to college in the other interview. He's funny.

Oh no here we go again!!!

Or maybe Patterson will be an inch taller, 20 pound heavier version of Jamal Boykins. This strikes me as similar to the we need "Lance to Advance" thread from last year.

Look, I hope we get Patterson, by all accounts he is a good kid. His ranking, and the little i have seen of him would indicate he has the ability to play at Duke. That said he is ranked between 15 and 20 in his class, not notably different than existing Dukees Zoubek, Thomas and King were/are (Singler is consistently rated much higher).

If we get Patterson he will likely play significant minutes given that we are thin at this type of position, but offensively he is likely to be the 4th or 5th option. Anything he gives us as a freshman beyond a few rebounds and 5 post fouls a game will be a plus. I will be extremely happy to land him, but I am not ready to hang his name in the rafters just yet.

Mmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by tropical storm View Post
    Or maybe Patterson will be an inch taller, 20 pound heavier version of Jamal Boykins. This strikes me as similar to the we need "Lance to Advance" thread from last year.

Look, I hope we get Patterson, by all accounts he is a good kid. His ranking, and the little i have seen of him would indicate he has the ability to play at Duke. That said he is ranked between 15 and 20 in his class, not notably different than existing Dukees Zoubek, Thomas and King were/are (Singler is consistently rated much higher).

If we get Patterson he will likely play significant minutes given that we are thin at this type of position, but offensively he is likely to be the 4th or 5th option. Anything he gives us as a freshman beyond a few rebounds and 5 post fouls a game will be a plus. I will be extremely happy to land him, but I am not ready to hang his name in the rafters just yet.
    I don't think you are giving him enough credit. Patterson plays on a team with Mayo who shoots 90% of the time. The only offensive oppotunities he is given our offensive putbacks. You rankings don't skyrocket based on defense and rebounding. I think he will be a much bigger inside force than LT. Lance joined a Duke team that already had a good center (Josh), but if we don't land Patterson......it could be a long year in the paint for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBisonDevil View Post
    PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career.
    you mean Shelton Brilliams?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    you mean Shelton Brilliams?
    No, no, no. Elden Williand.

You know who I liked was Sheldlik Horvath. That guy got better every summer.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Not Really

Quote Originally Posted by MrBisonDevil View Post
    PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career. I think he can be that kind of player at Duke.

I'm already a big PP fan. I know he is seriously thinking about his decision and which ever way he goes, I'll still be a fan. I hope he comes to Duke, but I know he'll make the best decision for himself and his future.

Smart kid IMO. He's one of those players I can retired up Cameron's rafters.
    Knowing who you meant, you are wrong. Shel and Elton (and Boozer) were bigger, a lot bigger, than PP. I think it was Watzone or Jumbo that said he looked like a small 6-8, and he is listed anywhere from 225-235. Even at 235 he is smaller than our past greats.

Elton was a tall 6-8 and about 250-260 (with go-go gadget arms, a 7 ft wingspan) when he showed up. Boozer was around 240, but 6-9, and Shel was 6-9-245 when he got here. I just do not think PP is big enough match thier contributions right away. There is no doubt that he would help, and that he might even start, but I do not see him as a dominant post initially. His high school game is similiar to Hans, but he is shorter and smaller than TH (maybe a better athlete). He scores by overpowering people, and I am not sold that he can do that against ACC competition. (He will tonight because most of those McD's AA's are allergic to defense tonight, but this game is no measuring stick for the long term performance)

Also, when our other three bigs got here, they were able to significantly change thier bodies over time. Elton did not gain much weight, but he got much stronger as he reduced his body fat percentage, basically replacing fat with muscle.

Boozer was able to put on about 20 lbs at duke, much like Shel, whose shoulders were unreal his Sr year.

PP has those shoulders already, which is my way of saying that I do not think he can make the physical strides that our past bigs were able to make. I really think that he has almost maxed out his physical develpopment (other than the cardio of playing vs. better athletes than in HS).

I am not ripping on the kid. I think he would really help next year. But do not cast him as another Shel, Elton, or Boozer. His body will not let him be that dominant from day one. It is too much pressure for any kid, and it invariably leads to some yahoo like me blasting him on line after he underperforms versus a bigger kid.

Patrick Yates
    Last edited by Patrick Yates; 03-28-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    You know who I liked was Sheldlik Horvath. That guy got better every summer.
    I hear he's doing pretty well with the 736ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    PP has those shoulders already, which is my way of saying that I do not think he can make the physical strides that our past bigs were able to make.
    Exactly. You should have seen 'Vath's shoulders by the summer after he graduated. They were bigger than Ivory Latta's eyeballs.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine