Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Kyle will.

If McRoberts hadnt screwed up and ruined his life by leaving early we could have played Singler a little more on the wing like Grant Hill and Mike Dunleavy.

Thank god he cut his floppy hair because the comparisons to Larry Bird would have hurt him in the long run,just ask Adam Morrison.
    McRoberts has ruined his life? Seems more than a bit premature. He's only 20 isn't he?

Don't think of Bird has having floppy hair so not sure how his haircut would invite comparisons. Perhaps, being nearly as tall and highly skilled might invite comparisons to Larry Legend. I don't believe Morrison's 'look' was why he was compared to Bird. Well maybe the wispy moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    How do you know that McRoberts ruined his life? Have you talked to him?
    No.

I watched him in the D-League.

And he was playing like he didnt want to be there,but not fully realizing he has to play well so he doesnt have to be there anymore.

Its a far cry from the potential he has but what made him enter the NBA Draft this year is just....

Exclamation Ok... I have to go here...

I am calling bullsheet here!

This is Patrick Yates in an attempt to be overly positive....

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    your not really even close. Unless your just drastically overusing the word "poor"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfTeZ4r3Srw
    Meet Andre. where are the similarities?

Right now he is in no position to guard any PF in the NBA. Most all SF would have their way with him to. A lot of bigger shooting guards would blow by him as well. And his offense still needs a lot of work. No offense to Lance, you just have to be a straight baller if you want to make it to the NBA.

We will see how he develops - he still has 2 chances for a breakout season. 2 summers to get big in the weight room. He could end up making it as long as he keeps working and never takes no for an answer.
    I remember seeing him in his AAU games and he played similarly to Iggy Pop and he is not a PF hes a SF.

Hes a long athlete who should be playing on the wing rather than the post but due to our lack of depth in the front court hes having to play there.He doesnt have as quick of a first step as Igoudala but his length can allow him to get the shot up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5gzj31odY

Thats just a video of him and Zoubek dunking,I couldnt find any video of his AAU or HS stuff to show you some more of how athletic he is.

Someone would have to convince me that the OP isn't a troll at this point...

As for our guys, I'm going to spend more time rooting them on now while they wear the Duke blue than worry about whether they're going to stick at the next level. The only one I really think about on that front is Nelson, as we know he has to leave and I really like him and hope it works out for him. In the meantime, I'm going to hope he can continue to shoulder the load like he did at the end of the MD game and help this team continue to win.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    McRoberts has ruined his life? Seems more than a bit premature. He's only 20 isn't he?

Don't think of Bird has having floppy hair so not sure how his haircut would invite comparisons. Perhaps, being nearly as tall and highly skilled might invite comparisons to Larry Legend. I don't believe Morrison's 'look' was why he was compared to Bird. Well maybe the wispy moustache.
    Yes Morrison's look was why he was compared to Bird.

Any 6ft7 or taller white male with floppy hair and the ability to shoot 3's with consistency will draw comparisons to Bird.

Bird was a great rebounder,and great passer.
    Morrison was a poor rebounder,and average passer

Bird was a great defensive player
    Morrison was a mediocre defensive player.

Larry Bird's name was thrown around when discussing Kyle Korver when he was at Creighton.

This is why I strongly support "Posters Against Drunk Posting".

Yeah Thomas has NBA potential because he is a good athlete but he just isnt the right fit for Duke because hes been playing out of position at the 4 and sometimes at the 5.

Thomas is more of a poor man's Andre Igoudala,well from what I saw of him in his AAU and a few HS games.
    Poor man's Iguodala? I don't know what Andre was like in high school, but he does not play anything like Lance Thomas. Andre is one of the best defenders in the league, as far as steals goes. He relies on driving to the basket, but sometimes falls in love with his jump shot. He is a pretty good shooter who can knock down the outside shot, not great though. Lastly, Iguodala is great in the open floor and is considered one of the best dunkers in the game. If Lance is a poor man's Iguodala, he is a very poor man. I just don't see how they're anything alike.

If I were to think of an NBA comparison for Lance, I think it'd be great if he ended up being like a David Lee or even David West type.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    This is why I strongly support "Posters Against Drunk Posting".
    haha. niiiice.

I am simply amazed that on this already unfounded thread, Jon Scheyer was not even mentioned in the initial post.

Jon already has a more well-rounded game than any of the guards mentioned and at this point certainly has a ton more pro potential than Taylor King. I'm definitely no nba scout, but I'd be willing to bet that the pro scouts out there are keeping an eye on Jon and how he progresses throughout his college career. He certainly does not possess the physical gifts that will probably help put Gerald Henderson in the league, but his overall skills could be coveted by many nba teams.

And in terms of overall team talent, while very good, this team falls far short of many past Duke teams. So lets just stop trying to make comparisons there.

And how about we put more focus on how these guys are doing while playing for Duke and not what they might be doing when they're not even here anymore. There have been way too many of these types of threads lately. I''m wondering if somebody is actually going to start discussing Elliot Williams' pro potential before he even enrolls.

I had an uh-uh moment when I realized I had omitted Scheyer but then the phone rang and life happened.

Anyway. I think Scheyer has a real solid chance to have a long NBA career. Maybe not a star or even a starter but definitely a contributor. True, he's not an elite athlete but he's decent and the NBA has plenty of spots for smart, fundamentally sound players who understand the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Poor man's Iguodala? I don't know what Andre was like in high school, but he does not play anything like Lance Thomas. Andre is one of the best defenders in the league, as far as steals goes. He relies on driving to the basket, but sometimes falls in love with his jump shot. He is a pretty good shooter who can knock down the outside shot, not great though. Lastly, Iguodala is great in the open floor and is considered one of the best dunkers in the game. If Lance is a poor man's Iguodala, he is a very poor man. I just don't see how they're anything alike.

If I were to think of an NBA comparison for Lance, I think it'd be great if he ended up being like a David Lee or even David West type.
    But what you are failing to understand is Lance isnt a PF.

Lee and West both were PF's coming out of high school.

Thomas was a wing SF
    He like Igoudala does not have a good 3 point shot but both are good shooters on the baseline.
    Thomas like Igoudala can handle the ball in a quasi-PG type of way and he can get his shot up and draw fouls.
    Thomas like Igoudala is good in the open court but Igoudala is a better defensive player on the perimeter and is stronger.

Hey Ozzie...

We're going to win the National Championship this year.

I really believe we will....its just one of those gut feelings that you get from watching a good team like this play
    When did you switch usernames? This must be Ozzie because he is very optimistic. Not that I don't think we can, but to say we ARE. It has to be Ozzie.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I am simply amazed that on this already unfounded thread, Jon Scheyer was not even mentioned in the initial post.

Jon already has a more well-rounded game than any of the guards mentioned and at this point certainly has a ton more pro potential than Taylor King. I'm definitely no nba scout, but I'd be willing to bet that the pro scouts out there are keeping an eye on Jon and how he progresses throughout his college career. He certainly does not possess the physical gifts that will probably help put Gerald Henderson in the league, but his overall skills could be coveted by many nba teams.

And in terms of overall team talent, while very good, this team falls far short of many past Duke teams. So lets just stop trying to make comparisons there.

And how about we put more focus on how these guys are doing while playing for Duke and not what they might be doing when they're not even here anymore. There have been way too many of these types of threads lately. I''m wondering if somebody is actually going to start discussing Elliot Williams' pro potential before he even enrolls.
    When I think Jon Scheyer I think J.J. Redick

Scheyer does not have the physical tools,lateral quickness,or speed to play in the NBA against much more athletic SG's.

His only role would be to shoot 3's,and he isnt a Great 3-point shooter

15. Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I had an uh-uh moment when I realized I had omitted Scheyer but then the phone rang and life happened.

Anyway. I think Scheyer has a real solid chance to have a long NBA career. Maybe not a star or even a starter but definitely a contributor. True, he's not an elite athlete but he's decent and the NBA has plenty of spots for smart, fundamentally sound players who understand the game.
    Agree completely. If Jon can speed up the release on his shot, build some muscle, and either grow an inch or two or show an ability to be a combo guard (or, ideally both) I think he can be a VERY solid backup or even a starter in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    When did you switch usernames? This must be Ozzie because he is very optimistic. Not that I don't think we can, but to say we ARE. It has to be Ozzie.
    No I just registered.

Maybe me and this Ozzie guy both are passionate about our Dukies

Indeed....

No I just registered.

Maybe me and this Ozzie guy both are passionate about our Dukies
    I was just joking. Ozzie is known for being very optimistic and very "glass is half full" kind of guy. Welcome to the board and you keep up that Duke passion. I hope your right.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Agree completely. If Jon can speed up the release on his shot, build some muscle, and either grow an inch or two or show an ability to be a combo guard (or, ideally both) I think he can be a VERY solid backup or even a starter in the right situation.
    There is exactly no chance Jon Scheyer starts for a NBA Team.

Him improving his ball handling might get him drafted in the 2nd Round but there is no way any competitive NBA team would let him start.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I was just joking. Ozzie is known for being very optimistic and very "glass is half full" kind of guy. Welcome to the board and you keep up that Duke passion. I hope your right.
    Thanks.

Im pretty sure you will not like me,because like all fans im harsh when players arent performing well.

20. Jon is listed at 6'5 right now. If he grows to the 6'6 or 6'7 range and speeds up his release you're telling me there's NO chance he finds a starting spot as a 2 that can help with ball-handling? I beg to differ.